Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

posted at 1:36 pm on April 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As an addendum to Ed’s earlier post on Democrats’ apparently new-and-improved war on women, here’s a rather galling moment from President Obama’s speech last week at the “White House Forum on Women and the Economy” that managed to fly under the radar. Asininity, thy name is President Obama:

“And then there’s the woman who once me advised me at the law firm in Chicago where we met. Once, uh, she gave me very good advice. That’s why I decided to marry her. And once Michelle and I had our girls, she gave it her all to balance raising a family and pursuing a career. And something that, could be very difficult on her, because I was gone a lot. Once I was in the state legislature, I was teaching, I was practicing law, I’d be traveling. And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work. And I know when she was with the girls she’d feel guilty that she wasn’t giving enough time to her work, and when she was at work, she was feeling guilty she wasn’t giving enough time for the girls. And like many of you, we both wish there were machines that could let us be in two places at once.”

Here’s my humble two cents of advice, Mr. President: you really should not have gone there.

Yes — if  you want to be a productive member of society, life can be very busy. When time is scarce, no doubt we’ve all wished we could clone ourselves, but we all must make choices about how we spend that time and structure our lives. You can go to school, or not; get married, or not; have children, or not; these are all perfectly viable and respectable life choices that individuals can decide for themselves. And to imply that being a stay-at-home parent is necessarily a luxury, rather than a partnership between two parents who both work hard to achieve shared goals, is a really good way to insult a heck of a lot of average Americans.

President and Mrs. Obama met at Harvard Law School, and CNSNews has a report on what their incomes looked like during his time in U.S. Senate (it does feel a bit indecorous discussing other people’s private incomes, but I think we can very fairly argue that he brought this on himself):

In 2005, when Obama began serving in the U.S. Senate (and his daughters turned 4 and 7), he and his wife were earning a combined annual income of $479,062. Barack Obama was paid a salary of $162,100 by the U.S. taxpayers, and Michelle Obama was paid $316,962 to handle community affairs for the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Even looking at just Mr. Obama’s income at the time, their situation hardly smacks of a hard-knock life, and I doubt that this thinly-veiled jab at the wealth of a certain GOP presidential candidate is going to do him any favors.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ll bet there are more Republicans who, if they were making $165,000 a year, would prefer to have their wives at home with the kids, and the wives would be happy too.

THe polling has to be going bad for the Democrats for them to be doing all of this garbage they’re doing.

bflat879 on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hey, I’m with Obama on this one. You know how hard it is to live on a mere $162,000 a year? Yeah, me neither. Obama makes it sound like the family would have been on food stamps if Michelle left her job as a patient dumper.

But I would point out that Michelle Obama brought her mother along to DC for the specific purpose of raising the Obama girls since Michelle is too busy flitting about on vacation and showing up on every television channel but the Home Shopping Network pushing her agenda to bother being a mom.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

C’mon, let’s go for the stupid trifecta…..someone please put a microphone in front of Bidens piehole and ask him to comment on it.

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Havard degrees are worth crap in the labor market. You needed to go the Devry insitute for the high paying jobs Mr. President. /s

Oil Can on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

none of those fine austrian warmbloods either.

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

harvard grad elects to become a community organizer. Boo freakin’ hoo. My heart bleads for all the hardships that you endured in your life you coddle little twit.

mouell on April 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work.

Couldn’t survive on your paltry $162K, huh? Poor little baby. This jerk is so out of touch with the real world. Every time Obama strays away from hid teleprompter lines he sticks his foot in his mouth.

Keep talking Scooter, we’ll keep listening until you’re so deep in that hole your digging that nobody will hear you.

fogw on April 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

bflat879 on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

The next poll on what women voters think about Obama and Romney is going to be very interesting.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Who’s up for nominating Hilary Rosen for a noble peace prize?

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Chip on April 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I swear, we keep walking into their bait. This is going to be happening all the way to election day, and we better wrap our heads around the fact that these circus sideshows orchestrated from inside the White House will just keep rolling in.

If you don’t believe this was orchestrated, so that Obama could rail against Rosen, while simultaneously attacking the 1%, you can’t understand how devious these people are.

If she has been to the White House as many times as is noted, more than most of Obama’s advisers, then this was planned out in detail.

so-notbuyingit on April 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The war on women isn’t new. It has been going on since Roe v. Wade!!1!

/libtard4life

For old times sake.

Kataklysmic on April 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

And we didn’t have the luxury self-control or understanding of basic family budgeting for her not to work.

FIFY, Barry.

rogerb on April 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Obama blames his children for forcing Michelle to work.

BobMbx on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Well when Obama started this war on women we learned that children were a punishment.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM

bflat879 on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Something. Otherwise, this seems like one huge unforced error.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, that worked until the court order came that she turn in her attorney’s license. Wonder why???

elm on April 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM

The war on women isn’t new. It has been going on since Roe v. Wade!!1!

/libtard4life

For old times sake.

Kataklysmic on April 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

This is one thread where I would have loved to see what inane talking points she came up with.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Well coke is expensive.

Buttercup on April 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Barry is so hard up for cash that he’s taking part in a Very Special Pawn Stars episode where Downgrade shows up and tries to get Rick and the Old Man to buy his Nobel Peace Prize.

He gots to eat, you know…

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I’m so tired of the luxury BS of having a stay-at-home mom. Obama can stuff it. He’s made (and makes) way, way more than we do (we are right in the middle class in income). Mom stays home and dad goes to work. We make sacrifices for that to happen but they aren’t that bad at all and the benefits derived completely outweigh the sacrifices for us. Frankly, we have a great life and enjoy it very much.

Having a stay at home parent is not limited to the 1% as Obama implies. That is complete garbage. He really is clueless.

batter on April 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

They could have cut costs by sending their kids to the local Chicago public school instead of the spendy private school. Just a thought….

rw on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

“Well, um, uh, public schools are, well, um, great! For your, um, uh, kids. Mine go to, um, uh, Sidwell Friends. Just $28K a year.”

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

What a disgrace this azz clown is. He needs to go.

FlaMurph on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

What crap.

My kids are in their early twenties now. I stayed home with them while my husband started teaching at 30k a year and worked his way up to 50k.

Michelle Obama can’t cook (by her own admission), had her mother to help raise her kids (by her own admission), and I sincerely doubt ever lifted a finger to do much in the way of housework, which she would surely consider far beneath her.

I have a master’s degree, but none of that was ever beneath me.

Now, true, there are those women who have to work and don’t have the choice to stay home with their kids. (My own mother was one of them.)

But clearly Michelle Obama always had that choice and simply did not want it. “Didn’t have the luxury” my foot.

Alana on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Seriously, can Obama really claim that he respects women?

Every Mother’s Day, Salary.com releases a survey about the “market value” of motherhood. According to this year’s results, stay-at-home moms’ salaries topped $112,940.45 in 2012. Salary.com’s 8,000-mom survey reveals that “stay-at-home moms work a total of 94.7 hours a week, with a 40-hour base and 54.7 hours of overtime on their mom duties.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/12/the-real-war-on-women-rosens-attack-on-motherhood/#ixzz1rqnP18r7

ConservativeLaw on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Pretty much.

Get yourself a clipart logo and you can get some Democrats to vote for you.

tetriskid on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I guess planning multi-million dollar vacations every few months IS work, for travel agents.

Hening on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Just as the whole “pay for my contraception” was orchestrated. These people should go into theater. Really sincere actors. Almost believable.

elm on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

so-notbuyingit on April 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I have no doubt that the phony war on women was orchestrated by the White House but I don’t buy that this was part of the plan. More likely that Rosen got off script when she strayed from the Ann Romney is a bad spokeswoman for women because she is out of touch with “real people” meme and into the idea that stay-at-home moms don’t have a job.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

so-notbuyingit on April 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

There’s a comment up at Ace Of Spades that explains some of this.

Rosen was there lobbying on behalf of her client… BP, after the Deepwater Horizon accident.

teke184 on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Didn’t see this upthread, but– BREAKING: Hilary Rosen recants. Says a truce should be called for this War on Women.

“This War on Women is lost.” Harry Reid

de rigueur on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Controversial Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, Hilary Rosen, was hired by DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz to coach her on media appearances.

Explains everything…

PatriotRider on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Rick from Pawn Stars: “You want to sell this Nobel or pawn it?”

Barry: “I’d like to sell it.”

Rick: “What do you want for it?”

Barry: “I’d like to get ten grand.”

Rick: “O.k., we’re not even in the same universe here. I’m thinking a hundred bucks. Also, I need to know if it’s real. Do you mind if I have a friend of mine take a look at it?”

Barry: “Uhhh…”

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Do really need to run position ads until November. It seems like Obama and group is giving us stuff on a daily basis. We can just run that stuff.

Oil Can on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Real tweet from Markos:

Facepalm worthy.

TheLastBrainLeft on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Yep, those Obamas, just the salt of the Earth.

changer1701 on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

The salt we’ve been trying to shake the last three years or so…

ghostwalker1 on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Didn’t have “the luxury” my ass!

MCGIRV on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

And speaking of their budgeting, it was crap. They always lived beyond their means. I don’t have the links to it right now, but I have read evidence of that many times.

Alana on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

She had a no show job to boot. She had plenty of time to take care of their girls. I have some friends with 7 & 8 kids that the moms stay home to raise and educate them. They drive 10 year old cars and don’t wear designer clothes but they are happy with their un-luxurious lives.

Kissmygrits on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Whatever they were, they would have been non sequitur and imbecilic per the norm. L4L was a walking talking logical fallacy.

Kataklysmic on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

It’s a Hard Knock Life

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Closer to $40-45K not counting the cost of 24-person security details for school trips to Mexico. Because, of course, the public pays for those things.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

This guy is shameless. What a manipulative jackarse–there’s nothing he won’t do or say to win a few votes.

“Luxury” is the right word. If you must live in a big, fancy house, drive a couple of nice cars, eat out and vacation regularly, and generally live the “luxury” life, then, no, you can’t afford for your children to have mom at home.

We elected to forego those things so I could take care of our kids. No regrets. And they have often expressed their gratitude that we made that decision. “So many of our friends didn’t have their moms around.”

Michelle wasn’t working to put bread on the table. That’s a different story. In fact, considering that her position was eliminated after she left, I suspect she wasn’t working at all.

Meredith on April 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work.

Yeah, cuz this deadbeat couldn’t ever hold onto a real job and never again will in his life.

stukinIL4now on April 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Harvard educated and a community organizer, who’s choice was that?

Speakup on April 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

This is a comment that should be circulated every where. To say that spending time with your children makes you feel guilty is without a doubt the most extreme comment about having children I have ever heard.

Deanna on April 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Wow. I wish I had that much luxury not to have the luxury.

The Rogue Tomato on April 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Let me get this straight – the President, his wife and two daughters couldn’t manage living on $162k per year, but we’re supposed to entrust the world’s largest economy to a man who can’t even figure out how to ‘scrape by’ on $162k/year? Is he kidding me? That’s $443/day.

His rationale as to why Michelle went back to work makes no sense either – ‘I was WORKING here there and everywhere, and so Michelle needed to go back to work.’ Mr. President, if you were WORKING all over the place and traveling, wouldn’t it have been *better* for Michelle to stay home. And if you were WORKING as a State Senator making $162k but also as a junior law lecturer or whatever, wouldn’t you have also been MAKING MONEY there too? His rationale that he was WORKING too much for her to stay home proves the opposite of what he’s trying to use as his point.

I wonder how many people would have voted for him to manage the ‘recovery’ of our nation if they had known beforehand that he and his family couldn’t get by on $162k/year.

joadard on April 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Sorry for the low-balling of what our no-balls of a prez pays.

At least Carter had the consistency to send Amy to DC public schools.

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Didn’t I once hear that Michelle got that job after Barak arranged a large donation to the hospital?

And that when Michelle left that job to go to Washington, the hospital couldn’t be bothered finding a replacement?

Johnny 100 Pesos on April 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Rick from Pawn Stars: “You want to sell this Nobel or pawn it?”

Barry: “I’d like to sell it.”

Rick: “What do you want for it?”

Barry: “I’d like to get ten grand.”

Barry: “Uhhh…”

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

LOL. I love when that happens and most of the time the people are like, well. o.K….They should have Chumley negotiate with 0webama since Chumley would clearly outsmart him.

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Deanna on April 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Especially since Michelle never held a real job.

What, if she didn’t show for work, “diversity” would disappear?

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Deanna on April 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It fits perfectly with his perception that if you don’t have an abortion, you’ll be punished with a child.

The Rogue Tomato on April 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

There are always battles between stay at home moms and the working ones. I’ve rarely found someone that couldn’t stay at home if they didn’t mind giving up some of the material things–it’s just that it is a lot of hard work. In addition, stay at home families end up supporting other families in the neighborhood a lot.

So this is a ginned up controversy, with the Dems trying to solidify the working woman base.

phillypolitics on April 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You know what they did have the luxury of, though? Michelle not having MS or cancer.

tdpwells on April 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

The Rogue Tomato on April 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

His mother had him and we’re being punished, so I see his point.

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Still not out of touch as Mitt and Ann “we love Nascar so much we bought a few teams!” Romney.

inthemiddle on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I just looked at my downloads of the Obamas’ tax returns. Here’s his income (alone) from 2000 through 2005.

In 2000, their combined salaries were $212,999; he also had $16,500 of self-employment income from a foundation and speaking fees. They paid wages of $16,000 to household help.

In 2001, their combined salaries were $176,965; he also had $98,158 of self-employment income from his law firm gig. They paid wages of $14,267 to household help.

In 2002, he had total salary of $127,474; he also had $34,491 of self-employment income from speaking fees and his law firm gig. They paid wages of $23,452 to household help.

In 2003, he had total salary of $122,438. They paid wages of $22,196 to household help.

In 2004, he had total salary of $85,432. They paid wages of $22,555 to household help.

In 2005, he had salary of $154,047 from the U.S. Senate. He had self-employment income of $1,141,495 from his book(s). They paid wages of $9,840 to household help.

After 2005, things really took off. Judge for yourself.

BuckeyeSam on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Here is the quote:

“I am going to teach [my girls] first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby,” Obama said.

IMO, that’s at least as bad as the comment about feeling guilty for spending time with your children.

Personally, I don’t get the impression Obama is a family man. Maybe Michelle’s very good advice was, “Marry me and have a couple kids so people won’t know you’re gay. The country may be ready for a black president, but it isn’t ready for a gay black president.”

The Rogue Tomato on April 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

inthemiddle on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

link?

Kataklysmic on April 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

With all due respect to the office you defile, Mr. President, take your bleating about not being able to afford the luxury of a stay-at-home wife on any salary you ever made and stuff it. My father was raising eight children on a before-tax income of under $17,000 per year, and he couldn’t afford not to have my mother as full homemaker and child nurterer. He forgot more about hard work and sacrifice than you will ever know.

Confutus on April 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I’m feeling so rich today!
I just had the luxury of washing and folding 4 loads of laundry,
did the dishes and continued digging out the new garden so that we can cut down on grocery bills.
LAP of LUXURY.

MontanaMmmm on April 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Real tweet from Markos:

Facepalm worthy.

TheLastBrainLeft on April 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

So she’s only been retired five years per the “child” status established by the (D)s in their (ahem) Affordable Care Act”?

Good for her for being willing to work so hard and so long.

(I don’t, but anyone who twitters is welcome to use that.)

rogerb on April 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

rogerb on April 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Good fix

BTW anyone else figure out that if the Harvard Grad had gone and gotten a REAL job instead of being a Community Organizer, maybe Moochelle wouldn’t have had to work?

There is certainly nothing wrong with women working, even when they have kids, but it’s a CHOICE as most of you have commented. Many families would love to have $160k income so their wife/husband could make that choice. But they can also choose not to have kids if they don’t have the income to do what they feel is right for their family.

This is Owebama wanting to dictate peoples’ lives again.

It’s also a very important point that the American people do not elect the spouse of the President, therefore, the spouse (unless an evil ax murderer or a serial vacationer) should be off limits as much as the children.

Moochelle only THINKS she was anointed and therefore spends at least 1/2 of her time vacationing rampantly on the taxpayers’ dime.

One more note to Moochelle: we don’t want your advice. Please stay away from giving your husband advice because so far its been proven to be really BAD advice.

katablog.com on April 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Great point. Their children have always lived privileged lives.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Yeah. Being from the Obamas’ neck of the woods, I find myself dismayed by rich women like Ms. Rosen looking down their noses at rich women like Mrs. Romney. It’s not even class warfare, but some bizarre Castro-esque overthrow of 50s Betty Crocker.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

IIRC, Demarxists made the same allegation against Laura Bush,
that she had never had a job .
Keep it classy Dems !

burrata on April 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Libs to Ann Romney: Why don’t you get out of the house and get a job?

Libs to Sarah Palin: Why don’t you stay home and take care of your kids?

El_Terrible on April 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

inthemiddle on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

If you’re gonna fling crap, at least get the quote right. He said they knew some team owners. Jacka$$

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

Of course not! You were “punished” with 2 kids!

redzap on April 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

So this entire Hillary Rosen thing was planned?

JPeterman on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I wouldn’t doubt anything with the DNC bunch. The timing is too perfect, the “luxury of not having to work” line is too similar, and it’s putrid. So yes, it sure looks planned to me. This country, stay at home moms, working moms, and women across America deserve so much more than what this lame administration has to offer.

HoosierStateofMind on April 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

inthemiddle on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Wow, and Obamabto can’t read. What are the chances?

tetriskid on April 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I’m the oldest of 8 kids. We were all homeschooled by our awesome mother. My dad had a good salary, but let’s just say that there were a lot of hand-me-downs, a metric butt-ton of oatmeal and no “real” vacations. And we were perfectly happy…even in hand-me-downs.

I did the working mom thing up until two months ago, and it was a nightmare. Our oldest was miserable in public school, and when I had to go back to work after our baby was born, I was miserable. So, two months ago, I left my full-time job, we pulled our oldest out of public school, pulled the baby out of daycare, and now we’re homeschooling. Sure, we have had to restructure our spending habits, but all of us are happier, and my boys are doing much better under my care than they would ever do at any old public school or daycare.

It’s not a luxury. It’s a sacrifice. And my boys are totally worth it.

twidgetnator on April 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

tdpwells on April 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Looks like this thread is won.

rogerb on April 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Without Michelle’s $300,000 plus income the Obamas don’t know how they would have gotten by.
Obama would have had to work nights at the Home Depot with Joe Biden.

NeoKong on April 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

“Everywhere I go, no matter what, the women in the audience, their first question for me is, ‘How on earth are you managing it, how are you keeping it all together?’

“It’s a constant sense of guilt. It’s guilt, feeling guilty all the time.

I’m fine, because I have a strong informal support network. I have a mother who lives five minutes from me. I don’t know what I would do, even if we weren’t running, I don’t know what I would do as a professional without having that kind of support system. So that keeps me sane.

“I know we’re spending — I added it up for the first time — we spend between the two kids, on extra-curriculars outside the classroom, we’re spending about $10,000 a year on piano and dance and sports supplements and so on and so forth. And summer programs. That’s the other huge cost. Barack is saying, ‘Whyyyyyy are we spending that?’ And I’m saying, ‘Do you know what summer camp costs?’

“We don’t complain because we’ve got resources because of our education. We’ve got family structure. So I tell people don’t cry for me.

The salaries don’t keep up with the cost of paying off the debt, so you’re in your 40s, still paying off your debt at a time when you have to save for your kids.

“Barack and I were in that position. The only reason we’re not in that position is that Barack wrote two best-selling books… It was like Jack and his magic beans. But up until a few years ago, we were struggling to figure out how we would save for our kids. We left corporate America, which is a lot of what we’re asking young people to do. Don’t go into corporate America. You know, become teachers. Work for the community. Be social workers. Be a nurse. Those are the careers that we need, and we’re encouraging our young people to do that. But if you make that choice, as we did, to move out of the money-making industry into the helping industry, then your salaries respond.

So I tell people don’t cry for me.

- Michelle Obama, Zanesville, Ohio, February 2008

Resist We Much on April 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

inthemiddle on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

The Romneys never said that. The exact quote from Mitt Romney was “I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners.” The guy is affluent of his own making. Would you rather he get all folksy and look stupid the way John Kerry did when he went into the sporting goods store in Ohio to “git him a huntin’ license?”

And, for the record, I would venture to say a family that has actually done something other than run for office is far more connected to real Americans than an arrogant jug-eared narcissist and his grifter wife. Put in simple terms, I bet that Ann Romney knows how much a gallon of milk or gas costs. Michelle doesn’t even give it a thought as she orders up a US Government 757 for one of her many vacations at public expense.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

We all know how it is, right? How can we expect anyone to raise a family with just one six figure salary? All of you trying to make due with less clearly do not have your priorities in order. Money first, then family can be taken care of, OK?

Esthier on April 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

in 2005 their annual income was $479,062. Seeing as how 0webama runs the economy, that must meant their expenses in 2005 were 23,000,000. Oh wait, nevermind, 0webama is only good at spending someone elses money.

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

“..if you’re explaining, you’re NOT winning..”

Love to see them backpedaling with egg all over their face. Keep it up you chumps.

The War Planner on April 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Libs to Ann Romney: Why don’t you get out of the house and get a job?

Libs to Sarah Palin: Why don’t you stay home and take care of your kids?

El_Terrible on April 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Boy, if this isn’t the truth.

Alana on April 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

If one half of the fifty million abortions were females, then twenty-five million women have been killed by this bunch of communist,Godless, democrats!!What war on women (or any other war) had this many casualties?? Their phony righteous indignation has no effect on me because of their true actions!!Remember in November and send them packing!!

Marco on April 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

inthemiddle on April 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

A bit of narcissistic history. Looks like Scooter was lying to employers, even in the good old days. It’s a habit hard to break.

a capella on April 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

To add to the pile on…I’m an attorney that makes about what Obama made, and I have my stays at home with our four kids, though she has a nursing degree and could easily find work. No, we’re not rich, but we have a good life. If my wife could early $300,000, it would be tempting, but certainly her staying at home is a “luxury” we can afford.

cd98 on April 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yes Mrs O job was closed after she left

they never bothered to replace her

her big salary increase was the week (day?) after Scooter was elected to teh Senate

Coincidence ? I think not..

Oh and I made 165,000 last year, which my wife stayed home to take care of my adopted son..

We lived wuite comfortably, and was even able to save about 150K savings wise while paying for everything….

Must be expensive to hobnob in poor quarters like Hyde park in Chicago, and slumming with Ayers, Wright and the rest of your terro-buddies..

Obummer, youre a dummy

JM

Gauthijm on April 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

When we made the decision for me to quit work to stay home with our first born, my husband was making the princely sum of $42,000 and I was making close to that, so we gave up almost 1/2 of our income so that I could be a STHM. Luxury wasn’t a part of the decision. We tightened our belts and made do with what we had. My friends who were still in the work force, and whose husbands made quite enough for them to stay home, questioned me about my decision to relegate myself to such boring drudgery. It wasn’t a matter of them not wanting to work; they didn’t want to stay home. I have never once regretted my decision (and no, I wasn’t yet a college professor).

College Prof on April 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

“This War on Women is lost.” Harry Reid

de rigueur on April 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Its more of a backhand than an apology. To apologize one must be genuinely contrite. I didn’t invent that thinking, I learned it from…

dogsoldier on April 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Working “community affairs” at a medical center, this is a no show job. Nice work if you can get it, especially at 300K+ per year!

When my family started out, I made @ 12% of that. My wife was always a stay at home mom. We survived by making sacrifices, and she took part time work at a restaurant, working on nights and weekends.

That’s not a “luxury” it’s a responsible decision that 2 adults made. Adults who didn’t want to sub contract out the raising of our childres.

shanimal on April 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM

It’s not a luxury. It’s a sacrifice. And my boys are totally worth it.

twidgetnator on April 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Which it is so absurd for Obama to say that Michelle had to work even though he was pulling down a “mere” $162K. More than likely Michelle Obama is one of those career women who want kids for the optics but does not necessarily want to be a mother. To stay at home, is about the last thing she wants to do.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Libs to Ann Romney: Why don’t you get out of the house and get a job?

Libs to Sarah Palin: Why don’t you stay home and take care of your kids?

El_Terrible on April 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Boy, if this isn’t the truth.

Alana on April 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

It’s a devastating reminder of the left’s hypocrisy. I expect Axelrod to go on Meet the Press this Sunday and explain how the above scenarios are like totally different the way he tried to do with Rush’s comments v Maher’s.

Kataklysmic on April 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I personally DO see it as a luxury to be able to have a wife whose a stay at home mom. I dont know many husbands who are able to do that unless theyre making quite a large sum of money a year. I dont think anything is wrong with it, I hope I’m able to allow my wife to be a stay at home mother. But I do think its a luxury that alot of people dont have. The same way having a nanny or a maid is a luxury. The honest truth is MOST people just cant afford it. This has no political leaning to it. As a man Ive always have hoped to be able to provide for my family all on my own. Just the way I was raised, that and to walk on the side closes to the curb when walking with a woman down a street.

Politricks on April 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Deanna on April 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Well, I guess she was “punished” by having kids, in the mind of Obama.

visions on April 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

While $479,062 in one year pays for a bunch of stuff, apparently luxury was too expensive.

rukiddingme on April 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Oh give me a break! I make less than 70k/year and my wife does just fine as a stay at home mother. We have three beautiful children that she takes care of aging from 4 mo. to 7 years old.
Our oldest child is a bit high strung so we keep him out of the public school system and home school him. The school system said he was unteachable and needed to be medicated to continue to attend. So we pulled him out and my wife took over teaching as well as raising the two other children full time. It turns out he is teachable and at 7 years old knows the entire Periodic Table and will talk to you for hours about molecular structure, geologic time periods and just about anything if it deals with the sciences. He has a 4.0 grade average and is on the honor roll as well as being made the poster child for the program. He doesn’t spend time staring at the clock waiting for recess or worry about what johnny next door is going to have for lunch. He has no bad influences from a classroom of poorly monitored children.
All thanks to my stay at home wife!! I believe her job is the hard one as I know I could not do everything she does and remain sane. Now excuse me while I go buy her some flowers for our anniversary which is today and let her know that all I am I owe to her.

vinceautmorire on April 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Of course they both had to work.

The redistributive government confiscates 50% of our earnings.

If tax rates were set to cover only essential functions, a lot of families would have this option and I’d bet a lot would take it.

A generation or two later, we’d probably have far fewer thugs

Not-a-Marxist on April 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

- Michelle Obama, Zanesville, Ohio, February 2008

Resist We Much on April 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Dang that’s a horrendous and bizarre speech. She’s telling the audience how salaries don’t keep up when you’re trying to pay debts while having kids, and then encourages the audience to take lower-paying jobs right before telling them their salaries would “respond”.

I know she was just searching for a way to push the social worker/nurse/etc. stuff, but WTF?

rogerb on April 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

rukiddingme on April 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Dont forget though, in Obama’s world 250k means you are practically swimming in money and can afford a corporate jet.

milcus on April 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Obama would have had to work nights at the Home Depot with Joe Biden.

NeoKong on April 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

To be fair, from their tax returns, I can’t tell what MO was making for 2000 and 2001. In the years after that, she made the following:

2002—$98,826 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary)
2003—$115,889 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary)
2004—$121,910 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary)
2005—$316,962 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary).
$45,000 (combined director’s fees) (funny how she gets a director’s gig after her husband gets elected to the U.S. Senate; also funny how here salary soared around the time her husband got a $1M earmark to her employer)
2006—$273,618 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary).
$51,200 (Treehouse Food director’s fees)
2007—$103,633 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary).
$29,443 (Treehouse Foods director’s fees)
2008—$62,709 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary).
2009—$409 (Univ of Chicago Hospital salary).
2010–$0.

BuckeyeSam on April 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I don’t have time to read all the posts to see if anyone else
mentioned this – its good enough to repeat, tho!

If I recall correctly Michelle Obama made approximately $150,000.00, then suddenly her salary increased to $300,000.00+.
Approximately 3 months later Obama arranged for her employer to
receive a grant in the millions.

I guess its legal if you get the raise first!!!

I am sure someone will inform us if I have my facts wrong -

Amjean on April 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Politricks on April 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

If you’re rich it’s a luxury, if you’re poor it’s a sacrifice. Early in my marriage my wife and I decided she would stay home with our three small children. My job paid $40K a year, so I delivered pizza in the evenings and worked 80 hours a week between the two jobs. We had to forgo vacations, eating out, etc until I became established in my career. It was well worth it, but there was nothing luxurious about it.

Kataklysmic on April 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Before we get too warm’n'fuzzy with the first couple, check this out from the UK Mail Online Femail (one of life’s guilty pleasures and great whenever you need a laugh):

Did Michelle Obama really ban actress Kerry Washington from White House because she is too flirty with Barack?

stukinIL4now on April 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

note to self: Uses multiple spaces instead of indentation to separate paragraphs.

vinceautmorire on April 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM