Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

posted at 1:36 pm on April 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As an addendum to Ed’s earlier post on Democrats’ apparently new-and-improved war on women, here’s a rather galling moment from President Obama’s speech last week at the “White House Forum on Women and the Economy” that managed to fly under the radar. Asininity, thy name is President Obama:

“And then there’s the woman who once me advised me at the law firm in Chicago where we met. Once, uh, she gave me very good advice. That’s why I decided to marry her. And once Michelle and I had our girls, she gave it her all to balance raising a family and pursuing a career. And something that, could be very difficult on her, because I was gone a lot. Once I was in the state legislature, I was teaching, I was practicing law, I’d be traveling. And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work. And I know when she was with the girls she’d feel guilty that she wasn’t giving enough time to her work, and when she was at work, she was feeling guilty she wasn’t giving enough time for the girls. And like many of you, we both wish there were machines that could let us be in two places at once.”

Here’s my humble two cents of advice, Mr. President: you really should not have gone there.

Yes — if  you want to be a productive member of society, life can be very busy. When time is scarce, no doubt we’ve all wished we could clone ourselves, but we all must make choices about how we spend that time and structure our lives. You can go to school, or not; get married, or not; have children, or not; these are all perfectly viable and respectable life choices that individuals can decide for themselves. And to imply that being a stay-at-home parent is necessarily a luxury, rather than a partnership between two parents who both work hard to achieve shared goals, is a really good way to insult a heck of a lot of average Americans.

President and Mrs. Obama met at Harvard Law School, and CNSNews has a report on what their incomes looked like during his time in U.S. Senate (it does feel a bit indecorous discussing other people’s private incomes, but I think we can very fairly argue that he brought this on himself):

In 2005, when Obama began serving in the U.S. Senate (and his daughters turned 4 and 7), he and his wife were earning a combined annual income of $479,062. Barack Obama was paid a salary of $162,100 by the U.S. taxpayers, and Michelle Obama was paid $316,962 to handle community affairs for the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Even looking at just Mr. Obama’s income at the time, their situation hardly smacks of a hard-knock life, and I doubt that this thinly-veiled jab at the wealth of a certain GOP presidential candidate is going to do him any favors.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You can be a stay at home mom, even if your husband makes like 25K. You don’t have to be rich.

ourulz2000 on April 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Just to use bribes from the Illinois taxpayers.

Plus a patient dumping scheme that Michelle ran.

Just minor facts.

tetriskid on April 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Didn’t have the freakin’ luxury, my foot.

If you lived within your means you would be able to. If you practiced law you would be able to. If you weren’t a commie community organizer you would be able to.

I think you just stepped in it big time pal.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I don’t know any parent that feels guilty about not working more when spending time with their kids.

That’s a rather strange thing to say.

ButterflyDragon on April 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Obama blames his children for forcing Michelle to work.

BobMbx on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Once, uh, she gave me very good advice. That’s why I decided to marry her.

Interesting reason to marry someone.

lorien1973 on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Obama = Fail. I’m a stay at home mom and my husband makes $125,000 before taxes.

Jackalope on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

What a despicable excuse for a President!

dmann on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

So who had the “no show up job”?

tarpon on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Jerk

congma on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

ourulz2000 on April 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Yup, but you have to have a job. Under Obama it’s tough. I am lucky enough to be in the military. My wife has been able to stay home with our 4 kids. Many aren’t so lucky.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

So a Harvard law grad couldn’t find a job that would enough for the other parent to stay home? Right.

txmomof6 on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Go to hell BO. I have two sisters that live like paupers so that they could stay at home and raise their kids. Luxury my ass.

These liberals make me want to barf.

David in ATL on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Ah yes. The Harvard Law school grad, and Editor of the Law Review is always hurting for money.

portlandon on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

$316,962 for community affairs? I guess my advanced engineering degree was a waste.

rubberneck on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Who is Erika Johnson and when did she arrive at HotAir? She’s a big improvement on Tina, no offense intended.

DaydreamBeliever on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Because community organizing just doesn’t pay all that great?

antipc on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Since the First Lady was bringing home the bacon back then, maybe Obama should have stayed home with the kids. Or is being a stay-at-home dad below the President?

kclibby on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Can we just say that the DNC’s War on Women is simply a small segment of their War on Liberty?

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Chip on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If you don’t have the “luxery” then why have kids? …so the government can help raise them?

pageram on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

BULL 5%!T!

Bambi on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Biggest Loser….

PatriotRider on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

The Democrats really stepped in it here.

Please, let’s have a conversation about how Michelle Obama was paid over $300k a year to be a lobbyist while Obama was a US Senator. I’m sure she got the job purely on her own qualifications.

Chicagoland.

BradTank on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Aw. Barack and Moochelle were punished with kids. :-(

SouthernGent on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Hey, get off Barry’s back. Do you know how expensive arugula? How was Mechelle and the girls supposed to survive on a paltry 162K plus kick butt benefits?

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Didn’t they live close to MO’s parents? As I recall the older women moved into the WH for awhile so I imagine she did a fair amount of childcare in Chicago.

katiejane on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Because communist organizing just doesn’t pay all that great?

antipc on April 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

FIFY

Chip on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Wow! What an *ss!

I am beginning to think that Romney can actually beat this guy.

Just Sayin on April 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

All Michelle ever did, for 400,000/yr, is write a document to promote ILLEGAL hospital patients dumping.

Schadenfreude on April 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work lay about at the house , playing with the kids, and otherwise goofing off rather than being a productive member of the family and society.

He’s still in that hole digging away, just like Comrade Rosen.

Knott Buyinit on April 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work.

With any luck, we will have the luxury of you not working…again.

ghostwalker1 on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Also, I wonder how much the Obama’s paid for child care for their two kids while they both worked? I’m sure it was a piddling amount at a chain daycare center in Chicago.

kclibby on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Interesting reason to marry someone.

lorien1973 on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

She’s a big front for the real him.

Schadenfreude on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I have a masters degree, but this guy and his wife are both lawyers who have made millions. Michelle got paid hundreds of thousands just to sit on boards. They insult not only mothers, but all Americans.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Just for comparison, I’m a father of four with a not-quite (by a five figure number) six-figure salary. I’m proud to say that my wife (who has the harder job) doesn’t work outside of the house.

So I’d like to challenge the President, to put aside half his current salary and make do in raising half the mouths to feed that I do, I’ll even let him use the White House vegetable garden to provide sustenance.

Then he can start talking about how hard it was, and that he needed his wife’s salary.

*disconnected*

jstueve on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Josh Romney went on twitter to say his mom could have done anything she wanted. She chose to raise him. Will Sasha and Malia be forced by Axlerod to open a twitter account to respond that they are proud of their mommy and daddy? Hmmm.

txmomof6 on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The Democrats really stepped in it here.

Chicagoland.

BradTank on April 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

After Moochelle left the hospital, they eliminated the position. Her raise was a bribe for a sitting US senator.

David in ATL on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

So this entire Hillary Rosen thing was planned?

JPeterman on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Where can I get that job?

Holy-schmoly.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Shocka! Back in my old ‘hood, they didn’t even have the biggest mansion on the block. Guess they were “thrifty” or something…

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Gads bho makes me tired! I would just love for him to SHUT up for one day.
L

letget on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

The guy is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, and he can’t make enough money to support his wife and kids? Not exactly what I would call an “alpha male.”

Just Sayin on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Patient dumping is a job ya know :O

burrata on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

My wife stays home to raise and educate our children. We do not live in luxury. Screw you, Mr. President. Right in the ear.

CurtZHP on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Obama blames his children for forcing Michelle to work.
BobMbx on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

She was punished with children.

whatcat on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

One more reason why I just don’t like this tool. My wife stayed home with our 3 kids and we made sacrifices in our lifestyle in order for her to do so. That was our choice. I was traveling quite a bit and working in a variety of software startups, which required a tremendous amount of time & energy, while living in a high-cost-of-living area.

“Didn’t have the luxury for her not to work”. To imply that being a stay at home Mom is only something you have as a luxury is just BS. You are such a piece of *&^% Mr. Obama.

Tar Heel Sooner on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Ha, arugula!

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I remember a study several years ago that said a working mother (or father if the mother has a career) could actually cost the family more by the time you factor in another car, gas, baby sitter, etc. Those who felt the most need to take a job for financial reasons were the most likely to have it be a net loss or break even proposition at best when you run the numbers.

MechanicalBill on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

David in ATL on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Truth.

Besides all the sick people she dumped onto the street while she worked there.

tetriskid on April 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Well between Hillary Rosen’s comments and Barry’s sad sad tale of trying to be a single income home on a paltry 162K I think the “War on Women” meme from team Zero will probably be ending soon. I don’t think they want to go there. About the only thing left now is for Slow Joe to make some comments on it for the trifecta.

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

And remember, it’s not like they would have had to live on just his 162 K, because A) He was getting royalties from his book, which hit the bestseller lists after his speech at the ’04 convention, and B) If Michelle had told her superiors she wanted to be a stay at home mom but she could still do some work out of her home for them you know darn well they’d have found some way to make that happen and pay her at least 50K.

radjah shelduck on April 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Great point. Their children have always lived privileged lives.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Didn’t have the LUXURY!? Seriously? I stayed home with our six kids and my hubby has never made more than $37,000 a year. We SACRIFICED so I could do that because we felt that raising our children was OUR responsibility not the village’s, not the babysitter’s, not the community’s, OURS.

What an ignorant buffoon.

Lily on April 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is he not the only Editor of the Harvard Law Review who never wrote a paper, while he was Editor?

tomshup on April 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

So when he said this, he LIED. They did have more than enough, on his income alone.

dogsoldier on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Moochelle sure stayed at home when she had that $300K NO SHOW JOB in Chicago…

wildcat72 on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

$316K for Moochie to be a hospital Community Outreach liason and then she made over $100K when she switched to part-time in 2007.

Nothing to see here……move along!

Metal Head on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Does Barry want to elaborate on what happened to the law licenses possessed by Michelle and himself?

I’d think that a lawyer working at the firm Michelle worked for would make more than her original salary at the U. of Chicago salary, before her raise that came when he got elected to the USSenate.

teke184 on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

For the Obamas it was a matter of priorities. If they couldn’t live on $162,000 with two children, they weren’t very good managers or had mis-placed priorities.

bopbottle on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

But look at at how all that dedication and suffering paid off….. taxpayer funded vacations and campaigning, regular golf outings, oh, and the lobster is to die for.

antipc on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

OT (sort of): Rosen just issued an apology to Ann Romney, as reported by Fox.

Hehe.

Just Sayin on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Can we now call this what it truly is… a war on traditional families? They undermine every choice Mitt and Ann have made–he has been a husband who stood by his wife through everything life has thrown at them and done so faithfully. She has raised 5 children, battled breast cancer and MS. They have raised a beautiful, prosperous family. And now the Dems want to say that they should be INSULTED for that?

Wow. Just wow.

UnderstandingisPower on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Lily on April 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
You are a hero.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

“And then there’s the woman who once me advised me at the law firm in Chicago where we met. Once, uh, she gave me very good advice. That’s why I decided to marry her. And once Michelle and I had our girls, she gave it her all to balance raising a family and pursuing a career. And something that, could be very difficult on her, because I was gone a lot. Once I was in the state legislature, I was teachingstealing, I was practicing lawcommunity organizing, I’d be traveling on the taxpayers’ dime. And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to pretend to work for $316,000. And I know when she was with the girls she’d feel guilty that she wasn’t giving enough time to her pretend work, and when she was at the pretend work, she was feeling guilty she wasn’t giving enough time for the girls. And like many of you, we both wish there were machines that could let us be in two places at once.”

Fixed

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. Itty Obamskis oney could afford itty brownstone in Hyde Park.

What a tone-deaf idiot this guy is.

smellthecoffee on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

What a despicable excuse for a President man!

dmann on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

FIFY!

TugboatPhil on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

She’s a big front rear for the real him.

Schadenfreude on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

FIFY

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Hey Dems…one step in it controversy like this a week, between now and November, will do very nicely thank you…

PatriotRider on April 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Michelle Obama was paid $316,962 to handle community affairs for for a do-nothing job she got at the University of Chicago Medical Center based solely on her hisband’s election to the legislature.

I doubt there was more than 10-12 hours a week worth of actual work.

Trafalgar on April 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Folks you are forgetting the most important part:

Michelles job at the hospital was so critical, that it was never filled once she left for DC.

Rich on April 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Yeah, I’m sure it was necessary for Michelle to take that fat hospital job for hundreds of thousands of dollars a year devising schemes to keep the poor and uninsured out of the hospital and its ER. Particularly necessary after hubby Barack went to the trouble of earmarking millions of dollars for the hospital to fund the kickback.

novaculus on April 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

And your family still made no charitable donations to speak of.

Well done, Barry.

rogerb on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Moochelle sure stayed at home when she had that $300K NO SHOW JOB in Chicago…

wildcat72 on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Errrr.. “I personally know many people named Michelle Obama it could have been anyone” /Jay Carney

tetriskid on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Wow, Obama doesn’t have a clue to what a real struggling family goes through trying to make ends work.

The democrats attempts to distance themselves from the elitist is failing and from the mouth of the One himself.

plutorocks on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

Obama got a law degree from Harvard. He went to work as a community agitator, rather than as a practicing attorney. Now, we are supposed to feel sorry for him. If he wanted money, he could have gone for the money. He wanted to irritate The Man, instead. He got what he wanted.

This is like one of our libs here (libfreeordie). She claims she is a Humanities professor, and that she does not get paid much. She sneers at people who work for money. However, she is very upset that her college has frozen salaries. In other words, “Money is for the little people. I work for love of what I do, not money. And I am really hacked off that they froze my pay.”

The point is, Obama (community organizer) and libfreeordie (Humanities professor) went into work that society does not value much. They knew this going in. Now, we are supposed to sympathize with their bad decisions.

HeatSeeker2011 on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The could have cut costs by sending their kids to the local Chicago public school instead of the spendy private school. Just a thought….

rw on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

bHo is a lot of things (and a lot he isn’t). Let’s add cheap shot artist to the list.

Isn’t it easy to see why the kiddos didn’t get those Spring Break trips to Mexico cuz mommy and daddy were so poor?

VietVet_Dave on April 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Jackalope on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You’re part of the .0001% right?
– Libtard

angryed on April 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Obama blames his children for forcing Michelle to work.
BobMbx on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

She was punished with children.

whatcat on April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Too bad there wasn’t something like abortion around to solve that problem.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Why didn’t Barry stay at home and live off Moochelle’s $350K income? He hates women and children.

angryed on April 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

ALL of the above!

KOOLAID2 on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

isn’t Dr. Evil’s One Miiillliiion dollars enough for you Baracky?

kirkill on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So why was it Michelle’s job to balance job & family, and not Barack’s? Sounds a bit… Sexist.

taznar on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Yep, those Obamas, just the salt of the Earth. Part of the great unwashed masses and all…

changer1701 on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

And I know when she was with the girls she’d feel guilty that she wasn’t giving enough time to her work,….

I guess this what they call being punished with babies. Man I hope those girls are okay. Good thing her mom’s around.

DanMan on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I am so confused by Obama math. 460,000 is necessary to pay the bills and raise a family. 160,000 is not enough to allow a wife to stay home and raise a family. But 200,000 for individuals and 250,000 for families means you are a corporate jet owner and are living a life of luxury.

I love it. 250k is rich, but 460 is needed to keep the Obama’s afloat. And 200k is rich if you are an individual, but 40k less is not enough to allow Michelle to not have to work.

Obama math is fun. Now to echo what Ann Coulter has said, can we see his transcripts, and expecially if he took math courses, and what he got.

milcus on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

the 1% has spoken…oh, he has such a way with words…

kirkill on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I thought Barack was working at the law firm suing Citibank when he and Michelle were married and had the kids. Of course, that may not have paid him enough to afford the million-dollar house in Hyde Park, but still.

rockmom on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Didn’t have “the luxury”? The “luxury”? Really? As though staying at home to raise kids is a piece of cake, compared to a nine-to-five job.

petefrt on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Obama would have been better off to just toss Rosen under the bus, let the story play itself out over a few days, and stay quiet. Now, he’s provided campaign ads with this idiocy.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

What an idiot this guy is.

You do WITHOUT luxuries when your wife stays home to take care of the little ones, it’s not a luxury.

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Really….this is Obama’s idea of “hard knocks”…..being lawyers…..earning top 10% money..campaigning and being a community organizer.

What a joke.

Where is Obama’s record of living on hard times….where is his record of having a real job or running a business that qualified him to be President?????

There is none….he has done little to nothing more than be an activist and politician.

But somehow Ann Rosen is being held to a higher standard by democrats than they are willing to hold Obama to.

How progressive!!!!

Baxter Greene on April 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

It was the sudden and mysterious INCREASE in Michelle’s pay IMMEDIATELY after he became a senator that needs to be looked att (or did; another issue the media buried during the election).

michaelo on April 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

milcus on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Don’t you know ethics & math are racist?

tetriskid on April 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Obama blames his children for forcing Michelle to work.

BobMbx on April 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Indeed, and he’s the one that punished her with them.

kirkill on April 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

So when the man says, “That’s above my paygrade,” we know where he stands….

apostic on April 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

rockmom on April 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I think Tony Rezko took care of it so they didn’t have to pay anything close to what the home was worth.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

OT (sort of): Rosen just issued an apology to Ann Romney, as reported by Fox.

Hehe.

Just Sayin on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

She is O’ssain’s mouthpiece, I’m sure Axlrod wrote her apology before he wrote for her the insult to Ann Romney.

burrata on April 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Oldest of 9 kids. Mom was very well-educated and capable. She raised us and stayed home. Her choice. It was not a life of luxury. Let’s just say that they made substantially less than the Obamas.

My very capable and well-educated wife chose to raise our kids — four of them, not two. We are not rolling in dough — but have enough for our needs. We’re tightfisted.

See, in these cases, the kids are the priority.

Prufrock on April 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Wow, is this offensive. I’m a stay at home dad primarily because my wife and I wanted to make sure our son was raised right and she earns more than I did when I last worked. (Taking a post 9/11 buyout from Morgan Stanley also helped). We live on her $44K a year (far less than Obama has ever made), have no car, and we live on a tight budget. What God damned kind of “luxury” is that?

TheLastBrainLeft on April 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM