Obama: We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work

posted at 1:36 pm on April 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As an addendum to Ed’s earlier post on Democrats’ apparently new-and-improved war on women, here’s a rather galling moment from President Obama’s speech last week at the “White House Forum on Women and the Economy” that managed to fly under the radar. Asininity, thy name is President Obama:

“And then there’s the woman who once me advised me at the law firm in Chicago where we met. Once, uh, she gave me very good advice. That’s why I decided to marry her. And once Michelle and I had our girls, she gave it her all to balance raising a family and pursuing a career. And something that, could be very difficult on her, because I was gone a lot. Once I was in the state legislature, I was teaching, I was practicing law, I’d be traveling. And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work. And I know when she was with the girls she’d feel guilty that she wasn’t giving enough time to her work, and when she was at work, she was feeling guilty she wasn’t giving enough time for the girls. And like many of you, we both wish there were machines that could let us be in two places at once.”

Here’s my humble two cents of advice, Mr. President: you really should not have gone there.

Yes — if  you want to be a productive member of society, life can be very busy. When time is scarce, no doubt we’ve all wished we could clone ourselves, but we all must make choices about how we spend that time and structure our lives. You can go to school, or not; get married, or not; have children, or not; these are all perfectly viable and respectable life choices that individuals can decide for themselves. And to imply that being a stay-at-home parent is necessarily a luxury, rather than a partnership between two parents who both work hard to achieve shared goals, is a really good way to insult a heck of a lot of average Americans.

President and Mrs. Obama met at Harvard Law School, and CNSNews has a report on what their incomes looked like during his time in U.S. Senate (it does feel a bit indecorous discussing other people’s private incomes, but I think we can very fairly argue that he brought this on himself):

In 2005, when Obama began serving in the U.S. Senate (and his daughters turned 4 and 7), he and his wife were earning a combined annual income of $479,062. Barack Obama was paid a salary of $162,100 by the U.S. taxpayers, and Michelle Obama was paid $316,962 to handle community affairs for the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Even looking at just Mr. Obama’s income at the time, their situation hardly smacks of a hard-knock life, and I doubt that this thinly-veiled jab at the wealth of a certain GOP presidential candidate is going to do him any favors.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And last I heard, when Mooch left her make-work job it wasn’t even filled.

Akzed on April 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

hmmm Hillary Rosen’s firm represents Sandra fluke. H/T to AOS

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

“A closed mouth gathers no feet”

Onumbskull should have done his homework…the Romney’s lived in poverty in their first five years of marriage. It’s no wonder the liberal operatives are scrambling to do damage control.

cajunpatriot on April 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM

You are a hero.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Well thanks, but I really am not. Lots of moms and dads do the same thing all day every day. It used to be the norm. Why is it suddenly Heroic to do what people have done for thousands of years?

I think we can thank feminism and the push to get women out and doing “something that matters” when, first and formost, everyone needs to be thinking about the next generation and not spending them and the country into debt oblivion.

Lily on April 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Barky must be a bigger loser than anyone ever thought if he couldn’t support his small family after recieving a degree from Harvard Law.

jrgdds on April 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

“We didn’t have “the luxury” for Michelle to not work”?! — I am pretty sure the $300,000 salary Michelle was getting from the patient-dumping hospital, where she didn’t even have to show up, afforded them the luxury to do just about anything they wanted…and Obama can save the attempt to make his family worthy of anyone’s pity when Michelle BY HERSELF was making about 3 (THREE) Times as much as the majority of American households! What a crock of cr@p!

easyt65 on April 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Hey, I’m with Obama on this one. You know how hard it is to live on a mere $162,000 a year? Yeah, me neither. Obama makes it sound like the family would have been on food stamps if Michelle left her job as a patient dumper.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Senator Obama in 2007: “Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula? I mean, they’re charging a lot of money for this stuff.”

Gladtobehere on April 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I just love the way barack opens his mouth and crap flops out. He really stepped in it big this time. I think anyone with a brain will be able to think of many people they know, or themselves possibly, who get by on a whole lot less and the wife has taken the “luxury” of staying home, raising the kids.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Lily on April 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I get that, but my wife does the same thing with 4 kids. And I find it heroic that t
you stick with it every day. I have a terrible time just being with 4 kids for a weekend. My job is much easier.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM

That much to vote present on everything but infanticide?

Wagthatdog on April 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

More than likely Michelle Obama is one of those career women who want kids for the optics but does not necessarily want to be a mother. To stay at home, is about the last thing she wants to do.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I feel bad for her girls because they’re going to figure that out at some point, if they haven’t already. My oldest hasn’t seen his biological mother since he was 3 (he’s 8 1/2 now). He figured out pretty quickly that her version of “love” was a lot different than his daddy’s and mine. As a result, she has been relegated to “Visit Mom” status and I’m his “Real Mom.” Kids are hard work, but they’re also so incredibly amazing. I loved my job, but I still couldn’t wait for every day to be over so I could come home to them, and finally being able to stay home with them and to teach them myself is a dream come true!

twidgetnator on April 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Nothing says “prostituting yourself” like being one of Obama’s background props when he’s speaking.

BuckeyeSam on April 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Lily on April 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I had to read back to your original quote to find out what Rusty Allen was giving you hero status for.

I agree with him.

My wife does the same thing. We have four teriffic kids. They are not whiners. They know that they have to work for what they get because they don’t get handouts. We live below our means in order to save for the rainy day, and especially, to give my wife the “luxury” of staying home.

God bless you, and all mothers (and fathers) like you.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Dear DOOFUS . . . er, I mean POTUS:
There’re a lot of people who don’t have the luxury of not joining the workforce, but unfortunately, due to your policies, they don’t have a choice, because they can’t find work in order to join the workforce.

Sven Pook on April 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Being there to watch my son score a goal at the big soccer game will always be a bigger luxury than the most expensive lobster I could order. So sad that “some” just don’t get it. They will never be happy.

January on April 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

This man is truly classless.

OccamsRazor on April 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

My wife stayed at home with our daughter and we made 32k a year. Hey Obama: STFU.

tyketto on April 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

That much to vote present on everything but infanticide?

Wagthatdog on April 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Everyone needs to repeat this OVER and OVER.

That much to vote present on everything but infanticide?

Wagthatdog on April 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Keep repeating it. Culture of Corruption.

SparkPlug on April 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

What the heck did I do with my tiny violin….

ConservativeLA on April 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Michelle Obama was working for the hospital for less than half that when Barack was elected to the Senate. They created the $315,000 job of “community outreach” for her, he delivered a multi-million $$ earmark to the hospital.

When she left to go to the White House, her position was eliminated.

You do the math. It’s the Chicago Way.

Adjoran on April 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

BuckeyeSam on April 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Did you see those people? Cripes. What zombies. Dumb as a stump.

SparkPlug on April 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It appears as though the Obama campaign has been trying to tell some tall tales and guess what people are actually starting to call them on the carpet for it.

Oh no…. you can’t have it both ways DNC operatives. Oh no, people are actually listening to and picking apart the Obama campaign speachifications. The Obama’s we not struggling to make ends meet, nor were they without any kind of support when they had their children. They were free to make the choices they made and the Romney’s were free to make theirs as well. It is a free country… or at least it was and still could be.

I thought that Democrats were all about woman’s rights? Part of a woman’s rights would included having and staying home with your kids. I love it when the liberated woman of the Dem persuasion make hit attacks on another woman that don’t do what they on the left have deemed acceptable to their idea of what a woman should think, do and say.

I have a feeling that there are quite a few woman that are pretty sick and tired of democrat woman acting as though they can speak for ALL woman.

ActinUpinTexas on April 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM

they did not have the luxury because they were “burdened” with two children

seaniep on April 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

IIRC, the Obamas lived in a stately home in an upper-class neighborhood. Their daughters went to a private school and took dancing lessons. Mrs. Obama mentioned these expenses during the campaign when she spoke about how difficult it was for them to pay their student loans–until “Dreams from my Father” became a best seller.

I thought then, and think now, that of you are struggling financially, you bought a smaller house, put the girls in public school (or a less expensive private school or homeschooled), and cut luxuries like dance lessons. I would have loved to have a bigger house and provided my kids with music &/or dance lessons, but we opted that I stay home. Don’t regret our decision; wish we had done it sooner.

But what do you expect from someone who see fertility as a “health” issue and children as a “burden”?

March Hare on April 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM

What a lie. He had a good job. When I stayed home with my kids, we made a choice. Have someone else raise our child or cut our income in half. We CHOSE the later and if he and his missus had chosen their children over their chosen life style.

A mother with NO working spouse doesn’t have a choice. The Obama’s had exactly the choice I had.

Portia46 on April 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Gee, I can still remember during the campaign when Michelle talked about how they were just struggling and struggling paying tens of thousands of dollars for extracurricular activities for their girls each year, and that didn’t even include the private school tuition. Yeah, I really felt her pain.

And, didn’t they also have a private chef in Chicago?

sydneyjane on April 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The Chicago public schools tend to be bad, although I don’t know about the ones in Hyde Park (where the Obamas lived). I have relatives living in Chicago. They didn’t send their kids to the public schools either, and they used to work in the public school system.

Gladtobehere on April 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Where can I get that job?

Holy-schmoly.

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The job had some . . . unique . . . requirements. Only those applicants who were married to senators were considered for the position.

Also, the job no longer exists. After Mrs. Obama and her . . . unique . . . talents left to go campaign for her hubby’s presidential campaign, the Medical Center suddenly and inexplicably discovered that it could get along just fine without its $317k Director of Community Affairs.

AZCoyote on April 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

They had their own chef, he followed them to the white house…

TN Mom on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

When she left to go to the White House, her position was eliminated.

You do the math. It’s the Chicago Way.

Adjoran on April 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Because they tried and tried but couldn’t find anyone as uniquely qualified for the job. (As good a lie as any)

swinia sutki on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

“We don’t complain because we’ve got resources because of our education. We’ve got family structure. So I tell people don’t cry for me.

“Barack and I were in that position. The only reason we’re not in that position is that Barack wrote two best-selling books… It was like Jack and his magic beans. – Michelle Obama, Zanesville, Ohio, February 2008

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune in 2006, Michelle Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she was a vice president for community affairs, “inexplicably” jumped from $121,910 in 2004 — that would be before Obama was elected to the Senate — to $316,962 in 2005 — that would be just after he took office. By the way, the hospital never filled the position of “vice president for community affairs” after Michelle Obama left to join the presidential campaign of her husband, which is unsurprising since it had created the job for her. Getting back to the money that the “poor, struggling” Michelle Antoinette had to scrimp and save to spend on piano and ballet lessons, the $316,962 in 2005 does not count the money that she received from serving on numerous corporate boards.

In other words, she didn’t need Barack, Jack, Jack’s jack, or Jack’s magic beans.

Don’t Cry For Us, America!

Resist We Much on April 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Must be why Michelle is enjoying the “luxury” of the White House so much now…seeing as how deprived she was…

ccrosby on April 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Gladtobehere on April 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

There are many more choices in schooling than the Chi-Town of old. If you prepare your children young, there are any number of excellent Charter Schools, Military Schools, College Prep High Schools, as well as scholarships to Religious Schools. Our daughter and son went through the Public School System, and as a result of Advanced Placement classes, each received college offers by the bushel. In Hyde Park, the elite University of Chicago Lab School is where the Obama girls would be now if that whole Senate/President thing fell through.

Cheers!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Isn’t The One supposed to be the smartest guy in the world? I see no evidence of it. If he didn’t have the MFM shilling for him, he’d be at 7%.

edshepp on April 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

they did not have the luxury because they were “burdened” with two children

seaniep on April 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I believe the term that Barry O used was, “Punished with a Baby.”(TM)

How this man can still garner enough support to even contemplate being re-elected is truly mind-boggling.

Spurius Ligustinus on April 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Yes but now you’re making up for that by parasitizing off the government and making millions. Who is this guy trying to fool?

rplat on April 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I don’t understand. Couldn’t the Obamas have gone on welfare? We all have the luxury to not work.

J.E. Dyer on April 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Don’t Cry For Us, America! – Resist We Much on April 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I would like a complete investigation of this matter. It truly stinks.

SC.Charlie on April 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM

God bless you, and all mothers (and fathers) like you.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Well it didn’t seem very heroic at the time. But now that I only have one at home (who graduates next year, Whoo HOOOO!) and I work outside the home to pay some hospital bills, I look back on those years of at home busyness and think, Wow, it was a lot harder at home that is it at “work”. I mean now my house stays clean because there is no one home all day messing it up, and there is hardly any cooking for just us three. Also we don’t have near the laundry and youngest can drive himself to soccer practice. Sometimes it’s even quiet enough I can read a book.

But as parents will attest, parenthood may not always be a pleasure, but it is a joy. And I am grateful that my husband and I made the sacrifices that we did. It was oh so worth it. Our children have turned out well, all of them doing the work it takes to put themselves through college. And our grandkids are even smarter and cuter than their parents. Life is good. There is a reason that thousands of generations used this model for families, and it isn’t just because they wanted to keep women down. But someone, and it certainly can be daddy, needs to keep the family the primary focus for the good of everyone in it.

Lily on April 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Shoot, I make less than 50k a year and the Mrs’ stays home with the kids.

hulbstar on April 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

OH my gosh.
Why is it that we have a president who is too stupid to keep his mouth shut?

I know why..but sometimes it really hits me how unreal all of this is.

ORconservative on April 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM

And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work.

Then, you didn’t work as hard as the romneys did, ya slacker!

TX-96 on April 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

My sister and her husband currently make less than $20,000 per year. They still manage to schedule their time so that one of them is always home with their son.

The implication that being a stay-at-home parent is a luxury rather than the result of the children’s parents making a series of decisions and often sacrifices to make it happen is obnoxious.

JadeNYU on April 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Dear DOOFUS . . . er, I mean POTUS:

Sven Pook on April 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Now that about says it all…. no jobs so no choice. And besides, working moms who must work somehow get it all done without whining. I mean, unless they are liberals, of course…

chai on April 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

C’mon, let’s go for the stupid trifecta…..someone please put a microphone in front of Bidens piehole and ask him to comment on it.

Minnfidel on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

SECONDED!!! *Trifecta* *Trifecta* *Trifecta* Give us BIDEN or give us DEATH!!

StompUDead on April 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

ok i just have to say that this crap really pisses me off. staying at home with your kids is a luxury? just wth does this jack@ff think he is? i am a stay at home mom , have been for 7 years now and it isnt a luxury. i cant tell you how many times ive sat with my husband and cried because i didnt know how i was gonna stretch the budget to get shoes for the kids or god forbid manage to put food on the table. i stay home because the day care bills would take EVERYTHING i could possibly earn at a job so it would not do any good for me to work in either case. this does not mean i am unhappy with being a house wife. in all reality i love being home to care for my “Men” ( my husband and our 5 little boys)but lets be realistic here, a lot of us stay at home moms do so because its just flat out not feasable to work . and the fact that this panty waist fool with an income 3x the one my hubby makes (not counting his wifes income natch) is gonna call it a luxury? talk about out of freakin touch with reality.

katee bayer on April 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

This comment from President Obama deserves it’s own twitter hashtag meme. I vote for #FirstFamilyProblems!

JadeNYU on April 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Alright! It looks to me like president Dim Bulb hit a nerve with a lot of us. So can we Please cut the “I wont vote for a Mormon” rhetoric (I know, it was on another post) and get behind Mitt and get this embarrassing moron out of office.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Keep in mind they were $140K in debt around ’01 or so. So two supposed Harvard grads couldn’t find jobs w/o the Daley political machine, and, to some extent, in Barack’s case the Rev. Wright.

Two complete losers occupy the White House, right now. No wonder why we’re in the place we’re in, right now. They had to take political patronage jobs in order to survive financially, yet were still $140K in the hole 10 years ago. Then, miraculously (!) he becomes a state senator, she gets the no-show job at the hospital, and suddenly their net worth after his stupid book started selling heads north of $1M.

I might as well take the 3 engineering degrees I earned, and use them to start a bonfire in the backyard tonight.

franciscodanconia on April 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hey Baraka, Release your tax returns for the last 23 years!

OkieDoc on April 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Pretty sure the President said he was working in the state legislature … while also teaching … and practicing law …

Never mind.

UndeadBeav on April 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

and we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work

Funny – many of us don’t have the luxury of a job.

LetsBfrank on April 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Dumping hobos in ditches because they can’t pay their hospital bill is almost as hard as making a community organizer with no experience into a president.
I’m sure the morons over at Ace’s are up in big, muscled arms over ak, this hobo into ditch talk.

RovesChins on April 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Hmmm, I thought Michelle’s father was extremely wealthy…..was it a beer distributorship in Chicago?

Silvergoat on April 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So we got her a job helping hospitals dump patients.

curved space on April 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

My bad, it was Cindy McCain that was the beer distributor daughter. Michelle’s mom didn’t work, but that must really annoy Hilary Rosen, who dissed mothers that don’t work.

Silvergoat on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Make him eat that foot… left shoe, sock and all…

RalphyBoy on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

More class envy and class warfare.

That and implying Republicans are racists is all he’s got.

One of these days he may slip up, forget what his mentors advised, and accidentally blurt out bourgeoisie instead of the wealthy or “rich” and proletariat instead of “working families”.

farsighted on April 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Shoot, I make less than 50k a year and the Mrs’ stays home with the kids.

hulbstar on April 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

What a rube. Do you at least let her wear shoes?

/sarc

BobMbx on April 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Given how little he accomplished in the Senate and that the Mrs. was pulling in three times his income, why didn’t he stay home with the little burdens, er, “children.” Would we not have all been better off?

natasha333 on April 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I was practicing law

Liar

Johnnyreb on April 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

My husband makes plenty of money right now, but it hasn’t always been so. I’ve been a SAHM for about 7 years now, because it made economic sense for me to do so (even if I hated it for a while). I know several one-income families who pull in a small fraction of what the Obama’s did, and those families are far richer and well-off than the First Family ever will be.

Frak Obama, and the horse he rode in on. This whole narrative (SAHMs don’t work/it’s a luxury to stay at home) just rubs me the wrong way. Raising our kids to be productive members of society is work, especially when I have to fight the moochers and the looters from influencing them every step of the way.

Anna on April 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM

we have 8 kids. 5 still at home. my wife has always worked—RAISING CHILDREN! we don’t have a lot of money and i work my ace off so my darling can stay with our children where she can do the MOST good. none of us would want it any other way.

devadevadasa on April 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

According to posters here, when a tax is proposed on families making over 250k the Democrats don’t realize 250k isn’t that much money but 162k is?

rjl1999 on April 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Rjl1999,
Some might not feel 162k is a lot of money. Doesn’t The Baraksta claim 250k is middle class and he won’t raise taxes on them? The bigger problem for the one, is trying to sound like the family next door, and when you add in the 300+k the misses made, well you kind of look like a fool saying you were basically scraping by on about a half mil a year.

uncommon sense on April 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

He is a POS!
It is a choice to not raise your own kids with incomes like that.
What a maroon!
Ann Romney raised 5 boys, why on earth would she leave the home to work. Her husband provided for the family and she probably made him a better provider.
Looks like moo still let’s someone els raise her kids, she certainly has the means to stay home with them. Ugh and these even women?

southernms on April 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Are we talking about when the first girl was born, or when he became US Senator? With the student loans they had, I suppose it might be conceivable that Barak couldn’t pay all the bills one what he was making before 2004.

Count to 10 on April 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

There never was a war on women, except in the left’s imagination.

It ended today. The right can declare victory.

Media, as usual, you are big fools.

Schadenfreude on April 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

ROFLMAO! wow he just said that those women that stay home with their kids DONT WORK!!!!!!!

Now the press would be in a FIT if he had an R after his name and said the exact same thing.

Personnally I KNOW that moms that stay home with their kids and are into raising their children, that they have the hardest job in the world. We had 5 kids I stayed home a few times from work to help out the wife when she was sick. I was so greatfull to get back to work. its NONE FRIGGEN STOP.
but the media will just let this go by because he has an D after his name he can say ANYTHING.

DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!!

ColdWarrior57 on April 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

The essentials of Obama’s campaign strategy on the “rich” Romneys …

Me and Michelle started with little and had to work hard for everything we have now, just like 99% of the working families out there. We understand you and we are looking out for you.

That rich guy Romney and his wife are the product of unfair privilege. They didn’t have to work very hard to become filthy rich. Romney benefits from an unfair tax policy that taxes “middle class working families” at a higher rate than rich people. Romney wants to continue that unfair tax policy. He does not understand you and he cares more about the wealthy than he does about you.

He won’t say these things explicitly, of course. This is basic demagogic Marx inspired class envy, class warfare populism. Obama may start channeling Huey Long before it’s all over.

farsighted on April 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM

This really makes me mad. For most people it is a sacrifice to have a parent in the home raising the children. My husband and I have done without many things that we could have had if both of us worked full time. It was not a luxury at all.

cheetah2 on April 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I suppose we lived in the lap of luxury when I earned less than $18,000/yr for 4 whole years (1985-89) and my wife stayed home to raise our two sons. I feel so wealthy thinking about that. Now ages 30 and 24, our sons did turn out to be productive college-educated God-fearing men, each married to a very nice woman of outstanding character. And no Pell grants. Just scholarships plus student loans that were paid in full.

miron on April 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Ate more than our share of soy-extended hamburger and beans in grad school. Later, both of us worked till our baby arrived (by adoption), whereupon we chose to became a one-income, self-employed household. Not because we had the “luxury” of a wife not working and being a stay-at-home mother, but because we knew we only would get one chance not to screw it up, and we wanted to do it right. So — one very old car, no luxury vacations, we were the last people we knew to get a microwave or cable TV, etc, etc. But my wife was the only adult who was in a home in our neighborhood during the day, and guess what? All those latch-key kids found our place to be a second home, and she was their honorary mom (and she kicked butt when necessary, too!) The snack and soda pop bills were massive, my retirement account will never be sufficient to retire, but it was WORTH it. It is a matter of where one puts priorities. I just wish this president could keep his yap shut for at least one news cycle and not p— me off so often. But then, inasmuch as virtually everything he stands for and believes are just about polar opposites of me, well…. nuff said.

ugottabekiddingme on April 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Note that Barack Obama’s characterization of raising young children as a “luxury” is perfectly consistent with his position on abortion. If children are a luxury, then aborting them becomes the virtue of forgoing luxury for more important things — working to make money for yourself and your husband, for instance.

It’s a twisted value system they’ve created for themselves.

jms on April 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I wonder….

Did the Obama’s have a live in nanny or perhaps a maid for their house when their kids were growing up and Michelle was at her show job?

Or are those records locked too?

CrazyFool on April 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I never had “the luxury” of getting my wife a 250% raise from 2004 to 2005.

McNinja on April 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM

My wife quit her job and stayed home when our second child was born. That was certainly not a luxury. It involved sacrifice – because I was not pulling in a state legislator’s salary, plus a $125 per diem allowance for trips to Springfield from Chicago, plus income as an attorney when the Illinois legislature was not in session.

Michelle could have stayed home. Her husband made enough money for that. They wanted her $316,692 salary from the University of Chicago Hospitals more than they wanted the kids to have a stay-at-home mom.

But the girls were probably better off with their parents gone most of the time anyway. Grandma is probably less of a socialist brainwasher.

Colony14 on April 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Hey, brilliant Barry… it’s not “luxury for her not to work” but “luxury of her not working.” Were there no grammar classes in between Derrick Bell and Charles Ogletree’s white hatred lectures?

Colony14 on April 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Once I was in the state legislature, I was teaching, I was practicing law

Only thing he did in the state legislature was push through a 5 million dollar earmark for the hospital. ‘teaching’ I didn’t know that being a ‘guest lecturer’ constituted teaching.
‘practicing law’ I say prove it. Brief’s written and filed, none.
Court appearances, none.

After the hospital was slotted for the earmark, guess who got Michele the almost stay at home 316k position ?
You guessed it, Valerie Jarrett.

MM has a whole chapter devoted to this in her book, ‘Culture of Corruption’.

BillyPenn on April 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM