Obama on Rosen and Ann Romney: “There’s no tougher job than being a mom”

posted at 6:01 pm on April 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

Box status: Checked. Have there been any prominent Democrats today, incidentally, who’ve ridden to Rosen’s defense, even if only to say that her point’s been misconstrued? Axelrod and Messina, shrewdly anticipating the bomb blast to come, ducked and covered last night by criticizing her right away on Twitter for what she said. I thought for sure that America’s most lifelike talking-points robot would mumble something this morning about “distractions” from the war that Mitt Romney wants to wage against women and children and seniors and etc etc etc, but even her operating system can’t run that program. Just as I’m writing this, the right’s favorite liberal feminist has a piece up at the Daily Beast scolding Rosen for what she said. Will no top Democratic pol help a blogger out with some free content by wading into this clusterfark on Rosen’s behalf? C’mon, Pelosi. You know you wanna.

The lingering question: Did Rosen stumble into this attack on her own or, given her chumminess with Team Hopenchange, was there maybe possibly conceivably a little nudge from someone somewhere about targeting Ann Romney? Ann is, as John Nolte explains, a major asset to Romney on the trail potentially. With Obama already betting heavily on a gender gap in November, framing Ann as some sort of socialite layabout caricature would reduce her appeal to women and push the all-important “rich parasites” element to O’s class-warfare message. I’m firmly in the “Rosen blundered” camp on this question, but that’s not necessarily contradictory to the idea of O’s campaign wanting to neutralize Ann early somehow. Could be that Rosen was looking to do that for them and just did a horribly bad job of it.

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Tim_CA on April 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

The noblest.. so back off these ladies..

They aren’t the ones who need to “get over themselves”..

mark81150 on April 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I worked all my son’s upbringing because I had to, but God bless you Mark!

ladyingray on April 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I wager she didn’t stumble. She took their talking points and ran with them. They’re just so insular in a Pauline Kael kinda way they don’t get how out of touch they are.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Ann will be free to work on Bravo’s “Real Housewives of La Jolla” after Rmoney loses in November

DBear on April 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

..yeah, probably visit the McD’s where you work/

The War Planner on April 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

loool :-)…assuming that he actually works and not mooching…

jimver on April 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I have to get going, but after looking at my comments, I will admit that I did come off rather harsh, and for that I apologize. I also like to point out that I am not saying that my present job is easier than being a mother, in fact, my current job is pretty easy. All I am saying that there are jobs that are more difficult than being a mother and we should not devalue the people who do those jobs by saying that they have it easier than mothers. That’s all I am saying…

NeverLiberal on April 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

MUT’s Badass of the Week: Ann Romney — Some humorous aspects of my analysis of the Rosen fiasco: 1) A Mormon mother tagged as a “Badass”; 2) A reference to how Ann Romney will be Palinized with email inquisitions, requests for clothing expenditures, and rumors of affairs; and, 3) A hilarious pain scale, with an addendum as to how much pain Team Obama is in right now.

Mutnodjmet on April 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I fall into the,.. this had to be a preplaned set up school of thought, two reasons..

One, she had such intimate contact with the Obama machine.. and two,.. when it became clear in just a very few hours the backlash was going to be savage,,,

The near entirety of the democrat party in lockstep acted to distance themselves from her and to attack her for what she had said, and her insane refusal to back off.

I can’t think of a single other time when the entire democrat party acted like this to mitigate damage. It just never happens that fast..

I sense Obama’s fingers prints on this..

mark81150 on April 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Translation: gotta try to close that gender gap. Polls, polls, polls.

ddrintn on April 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM

HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK!!11

GTFO troll, go imagine that the democrats have dreamed up the phrase “war on women” becaue they actually care about women or something.

Swerve22 on April 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

NeverLiberal, I watched the misandry/feminism video (fascinating!), which makes clear that you’re not trolling. You really do feel besieged and obliterated by women.

All I can answer is this: If I felt so under attack and put out by virtue of who I am (black) as you do (male), the world would be a treacherous place indeed!

May peace find you.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Its unbelievable to me what a bunch of female pandering wimps our society is made up of. I never slang mud at women, but denying the obvious sacrifices of men is slinging mud at men. I didn’t and don’t feel sorry for myself, but its obvious you feel sorry for mothers. I was just pointing out the obvious fact that I would have rather stayed home with my children than go to the job I was at. If being a mother is the single most difficult job in the world, then why aren’t nannies and daycare’s charging millions? I will stand up and be a gentlemen when American women sit down and be ladies.

NeverLiberal on April 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I didn’t quit working until after our fifth child was born, so I’m weighing in on this one.

NeverLiberal, I do not deny the sacrifices of men, and the very hard work that fathers do. Men who work at difficult and unfulfilling jobs, for whatever reason, to support their wives and families are to be honored, and will reap many blessings for their love and devotion.

I think this discussion strayed away from the point: Rosen was dissing women who stayed at home to raise their children instead of working-for-hire, and the response was to point out that raising kids was serious hard work, not to claim motherhood was the most or the only difficult job in the world.

No disrespect of men was intended or implied in the exchange; if it was expressed in some comment I didn’t see, then it should not have been.

One of the major failings of the rad-lib-fem movement (after it hijacked the legitimate issues away from the rational women in the seventies) is the futile attempt to define the value of an occupation (including motherhood) by the wages it garners in the marketplace: this led to the inane conclusion that since mothers are paid “zero” they are worth nothing.

We have been fighting this meme for over forty years now, and although we may have won this particular battle (h/t Schadenfreude on all the threads), the fight is not over.

There is and has been a “war on women” in this era, but it is an offensive war begun by the left and waged relentlessly on multiple fronts.

Let us all, gentlemen and ladies, stand up together in defense of mothers and fathers, and not treat each other as enemies.

The true enemy is elsewhere.

AesopFan on April 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

You are a proud murderer of young black boys in hoodies right? Typical racist con.

Uppereastside on April 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Tell us again about Dick Cheney’s War Crimes…

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

What a pack of lies. I get tired of pandering men and whiny women always lying about how being a mom is the most difficult job in the world. It is just a phantom story that women (and emasculated men) make up to make women sound more noble than they really are.

liberal4life on April 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Norman to Unit 9: I see you activated one of your Sleeper HA accounts after getting Banned the other day. Well Done.

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Much of my strength comes from my mother. My education, my ability to endure one of the most strenuous military jobs, my ability to raise my children alongside their mother, all comes from my mother. My father is not diminished by my mother, he is magnified by her, just as I am by my wife. She is my captain. Honoring women only strengthens men.

Rusty Allen on April 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Brought tears to my eyes. Lovely

bluealice on April 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Were his lips moving? Like Trayvon Rosen’s spittle he orchestrated.

lilium479 on April 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

NeverLiberal on April 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Thank you for your apology… and I agree with you 100%. Being a mom is NOT the hardest job in the world. It isn’t even a job. It is just a state of being. And people say things like this to pander for votes and sympathy. And of course we all appreciate what moms do. But it isn’t some heroic task requiring herculean efforts.

theblackcommenter on April 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

bluealice on April 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Yep, that Rusty must have a proud mother…and happy wife!

mark81150 on April 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Very impressive. Y’know, I somehow got the impression from NeverLiberal that he didn’t get to spend much time caring for his child(ren). Or else, how could he say that Daycare should be charging millions if taking care of kids was so hard. He didn’t seem to grasp the deep investment stay-at-home parents like you have in their young, and how a hundred small decisions have to be made every day. It is mentally, emotionally draining…enough to make a lumberjack flee back to the music of chainsaws!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Just going through the comments and there are so many great ones but this cracked me up:

Tamara Holder was on Hannity’s radio show this afternoon saying she wouldn’t take economic advise from Ann Romney because she had never owned a business, built a budget, made a payroll…and I was screaming in my head, “What about obaka?????” I’m sure Tamara Hypocrite wasn’t saying THAT four years ago about obaka!!!
ladyingray on April 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Tamara really stepped in it there, particularly when one keeps in mind she’s a lawyer. I thought the first rule of lawyering was not to open the door.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I tend to think Rosen’s message was a White House trial balloon that blew-up in their faces.

St Gaudens on April 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

if Allah were a lawyer or a chiropractor, he’d be an ambulance chaser…..

ted c on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Romney already has new bumper stickers “Moms drive the economy”.

Brilliant!

gaius on April 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Which leaves out women who aren’t mothers…

ddrintn on April 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Aw, boo hoo. Maybe there’s a mural you could protest somewhere.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

theblackcommenter on April 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Lawyer is a job description; Mother is an action verb.

AesopFan on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

How cute! Two peas in a pod:

There’s no damage to Obama over this. A Dem hack threw out some Limbaugh-like bait, the Romneys and their supporters jumped all over it, and now Obama can play above-it-all. The “gender gap” remains the same or gets even wider.
ddrintn on April 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM

That’s a smart take. Seems right.
Drew Lowell on April 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Given all those visits to the White House, does anyone think the problems Ann Romney posed were never discussed? We’ll never know, but I would give long odds this approach was discussed among the spin artists. In other words, the strategy was coordinated, even if particular tactics weren’t.

Rosen then attempted to implement the strategy, but obviously had no clue how her remarks were going to play outside the bubble.

She may well have rendered the entire strategy impossible. I don’t see how the Obama crew goes after Ann Romney now.

novaculus on April 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

How are you defining “know”: as in, the “We have a recording of their discussions about Ann Romney” sense, or the “0bamessiah’s a thorough idiot, who is about as masterful at obfuscating His intentions as OJ showed us he was when he was caught in his Ford Bronco heading to Mexico with his passport, $8750, and a fake moustache/beard” sense? If you meant the first sense, you’re right, we don’t know. But, if you meant the second, c’mon – being cynical and presuming the worst when judging 0bamessiah does not mean you are a cynic and/or that you’re recklessly going out on some precarious limb!

There is just as much chance that 0bamessiah’s regime hadn’t had discussions about how to best marginalize Ann Romney as there is that Stephanopoulos hadn’t coordinated with the WH before he asked that debate question about contraceptives. There is no mystery to these people whatsoever.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Rosen flubbed her attempt at neutralizing Ann so badly 0bamessiah’s gang had no choice but to distance themselves from her and her comments – the “good Leftie – bad Leftie” ‘plot’ some are offering up as the explanation for what happened here doesn’t jibe with 0bamessiah’s reality as we know it.

Bizarro No. 1 on April 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

You are making it sound as though Tamara stepping in it is a bigger news story than when she isn’t stepping in it!

Bizarro No. 1 on April 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

theblackcommenter on April 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Partially right but mostly wrong. Any woman who has a child is technically a mother. Being a good mother, however, takes an enormous amount of time, patience, energy, and a willingness to put others above one’s self. I can see why this is an unwelcome and foreign idea to most liberals.

HoosierStateofMind on April 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Allah:

Meant to comment on this earlier. This is really what it’s all about. It’s not a war on stay at home moms as much as it is a war on rich stay at home moms who are married to the “out of touch” Mitt Romney.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

This.

nukemhill on April 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Ann Romney knows what it’s like to be a mother whilst struggling financially.

Her four housemaids, err, “domestic employees”, won’t shut the hell up about it!

bileduct on April 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM

<blockquote

>Romney already has new bumper stickers “Moms drive the economy”.

Brilliant!

gaius on April 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Which leaves out women who aren’t mothers…

ddrintn on April 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Is this your first election? Obama had the “Obama Mama” ones in 2008 & those didn’t seem to hurt him with the “women who aren’t mothers.” Campaigns usually have more than 1 bumper sticker to appeal to different voters (mothers, single women, etc.).

Dark Star on April 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM

“I don’t have a lot of patience for commentary about the spouses of political candidates.”

You lie…

ray on April 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Obama has a long history of working through surrogates to do his dirty work and then pleading “Mr. Clean.”

Look what he did to Ryan and his family during the Illinois Senate race. That was probably one of the most despicable chapters in American politics.

No, I don’t believe for one second that Obama didn’t know they were going after Ann Romney. It was simply handled badly and prematurely.

Watch how once this dies down, rumors start to circle back from other unnamed sources. It simply won’t be as public as Rosen’s comments.

Obama’s well proven proclivity for mendacity has no boundaries.

Marcus Traianus on April 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM

President Luxury certainly has his staying above the fray mojo working today.

Kissmygrits on April 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM

‘How dare Obama agree with us that what someone said was in inappropriate! Just give us a minute here to come up with some sort of weird conspiracy based theory as to why he’d do something like that, and suggest that it actually reveals even more how sinister he is.’

verbaluce on April 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Attacking through surrogates, then claiming to be above it all when questioned.

Ironically, a game also played by Mitt Romney.

Ah, well. Good that it seems to have backfired.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

DBear on April 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

So if you lose the presidential election, they take away all your money as a penalty?

You’re a fount of information!

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM