John Stossel: I left ABC because it sucked

posted at 5:26 pm on April 12, 2012 by Tina Korbe

If you’ve ever worked for a news organization and not liked it, now’s the time to speak up, apparently. First, the Fox News mole fiasco, then the Newt Gingrich-Fox News feud, and, now, John Stossel, saying what I like to read immeasurably more than I cared to read the mole’s uninformative insider accounts:

Stossel left ABC in 2009 after working there for 28 years “because it sucked,” he said.

“They were hostile to these ideas that made us prosperous and I consider so important. They tolerated me for years,” said Stossel, “but by the end they were saying ‘Oh, you’re so predictable Stossel, you want to use libertarian economics all the time.’” …

“I was not offered a job by Fox,” he said. “I went over there and begged ‘Please hire me, I can’t stand it anymore.’”

Stossel’s comments came in an interview with The Heritage Foundation’s Rob Bluey in which Stossel discussed his new book, “No They Can’t: Why Government Fails — But Individuals Succeed.” In addition to denouncing the creativity-stifling environment fostered by his former employers, he spoke a hard truth to those of us who work in media. “Shallow wins,” he said in the closing quote of the interview.

Stossel, who is known for the clever ways in which he illustrates libertarian economic principles for viewers, acknowledged that economic arguments for or against a policy are often complex. There exists a need, then, to make the moral argument for economic freedom, as, for example, American Enterprise Institute president Arthur Brooks does.

In the meantime, though, Stossel will continue to make the economic arguments at the same network that the mole painted as soul-destroying. Stossel’s tale of proactively pleading with Fox to hire him makes the mole seem even more pathetic. Are we really to believe no liberal news organizations were willing to hire him because he had begrudgingly worked at Fox for a time? He’s telling me they wouldn’t jump at the chance to hire someone so evidently ready to denounce a competitor they hate?

Goes to show we’re all responsible to seek an environment in which we can flourish — and, thankfully, we live in a country that (for now, at least) allows us to do just that.

Comments

I like Stossel. A little out there on some things, but overall, common sense.

msupertas on April 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM

John Stossel rocks. If every reporter put in as much effort as he does, the media would be a great watchdog.

Instead, shallow wins.

hawksruleva on April 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Stossel was one of the few bright spots at ABC.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I bought Stossel’s book after Palin spoke highly of it.

Definitely recommended.

Norwegian on April 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Sometimes I will get stuck listening to ABC News when I have a talk radio show on. He’s right, they do suck.

tbear44 on April 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

John Stossel gets it,Government is not the answer!

That must of been nails screetching down the blackboard
wall to Lefty ears!!

And it sounds like Stossel is/was just fed up of
toting the line,and all of the lies!!

canopfor on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

The American Public contains an expert on everything you can dream of. The American Government contains experts on just one thing–spending other people’s money.

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Stossel is always interesting and entertaining. Still, I never watch his show, partly because I don’t watch businesses news and partly because I’m not even sure which channel fox business is on….

If he did a segment a few times a week for O’Reilly it might breathe some freshness into Bill’s stale show.

Nessuno on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Stossel and Dennis Miller were the only reasons I watched BOR’s show for as long as I did. Eventually, however, even they weren’t enough to make me stomach Mr. Ego, and I quit watching a few months ago.

Moose Drool on April 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Reading John’s book now.

Exceptional.

Buy it. Read it. Give it to your children and grandchildren.

It is they, after all, who will require financial scuba gear one day to avoid drowning in the debt tsunami that our fearless leaders are busy legislating and regulating to life as we speak.

IndieDogg on April 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

ABC does suck….

So does NBC, CBS and PBS…..

redguy on April 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM

True, they do suck.

Philly on April 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM

tbear44 on April 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

tbear44:I hear ya,ABC News loves there sound-bites!

Here is the ABC Radio News spot site!
————————————————

Here This Hours Update(Click upper right button thingy)
********************************************************

canopfor on April 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

John Stossel

Stossel’s show is one of the few Fox News shows I still watch, I highly recommend it. If you don’t get Fox Business News, DEMAND IT!

FloatingRock on April 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM

canopfor on April 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

…I like seeing that again!…(:>)

KOOLAID2 on April 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Can’t say I disagree with him on that.

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I like him because he’s one of the few who focuses on how ridiculous regulations at all levels of government trample small business and private property.

Too many conservatives take the naive “leave it to state and local government” line.

Power needs to be stripped from all levels of government. The state and local can be every bit as tyrannical as the feral government.

forest on April 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

…I like seeing that again!…(:>)

KOOLAID2 on April 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I know, it makes me smile. : )

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM

hard to believe Stossel is 65

commodore on April 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Palin will be on Stossel’s show tonight.

NoNails on April 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

So did we John.

NeoKong on April 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I love me some John Stossel. He’s a breath of fresh common sense, IMO. I DVR his shows to watch while folding laundry. I too recommend his book.

Anna on April 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Oh my garsh, Tina said a naughty word in the headline!!

Alpha_Male on April 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM

How long until he reaches that conclusion about FOX News?

Oh well, they’re still better than the others. But sometimes FOX seems a little too sympathetic to the left for my taste.

UltimateBob on April 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM

John was the only way I’d be caught dead watching 20/20.His segment’s( always toward the end of the show, so you had to sit thru the crap to watch them ),and specials were always worthwhile. I was happy for him, when he left the Dark Side!

SMACKRUNNER on April 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Stossel is one of the few journalists out there who actually does what journalists are supposed to do–report on things the way they are, and he probably got tired of ABC because he didn’t fit their cookie-cutter liberal mentality, which is (to their credit) somewhat less liberal than NBC and See-BS.

Stossel’s best report was when he dressed as a beggar, and collected more money from passersby when he begged for a beer than for food.

Stossel is definitely an asset for Fox News, but sometimes I wonder whether conservatives at the alphabet networks should stay where they are, and try to reach the people who watch them. If the honest journalists all go to Fox News, the sheeple just won’t watch Fox News, and won’t be exposed to conservative journalism.

Steve Z on April 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Why does the interviewer look like a total “young Republican” stereotype? I mean…. really?

Even his voice. sheesh.

kaltes on April 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM

you want to use libertarian economics

“Libertarian” economics? As if there is more than one kind of valid economics.

I assume they mean the kind of economics that Adam Smith and those evil capitalists “use”. The kind that is based on reality and on human freedom, and that has a track record demonstrating it works stupendously well. Even the Chicoms have adopted some of it.

As opposed to that other kind, the kind Marx preached. The kind that is based on Utopian fantasy, on Big Government knows best, and on restricting human freedom, and that has a track record demonstrating it does not work at all. Even the Chicoms have abandoned much of it.

farsighted on April 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Nessuno on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Fox Business? If you dont have it, DEMAND IT! … Stossel DOES do segments for and is on Oreilly fairly often. Also his show airs on the regular Fox News on weekends.

Koa on April 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Stossel is one of the best around, keep on keeping on John!

celt on April 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM

FIFYT

EddieC on April 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

canopfor on April 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM
…I like seeing that again!…(:>)

KOOLAID2 on April 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

KOOLAID2:Hehe,yes I agree,on topic,good to go!:)

canopfor on April 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Palin will be on Stossel’s show tonight.

NoNails on April 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I thought she was on Hannity tonight?

idesign on April 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM

How young are you? Outside of HA, have you had to do an HR interview?

The answer is YES.

You seem nice, Tina, but man…

…news orgs have hundreds upon hundreds of people as qualified as Muto to choose from. By not leaving on his own accord, and staying for years, it was a signal that he didn’t find it that bad. Otherwise, he had to walk into an interview and trash his current employer, which might garner some laughs, but only guaranteed he wouldn’t be hired because he had a big mouth.

Muto is a sissy and used this mole BS to find a pity hire. Which he will by MSNBC.

budfox on April 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Koa on April 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

My problem is that Fox Business is considered part of an upgrade package by Commiecast, and I’m not going to give the owners of MSNBC even more money.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I don’t go out of my way to watch much TV news anymore but when I am flipping through channels and happen to catch Mr. Stossel, I’ll stop to watch most often.

Yakko77 on April 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I like Stossel. A little out there on some things, but overall, common sense.

msupertas on April 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Pretty much.
Libertarians seem to have a blind spot for addictive drugs, but his economics are refreshing.

Count to 10 on April 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Libertarians seem to have a blind spot for addictive drugs…
Count to 10 on April 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Not all of us.

Many libertarians are only libertarian when it come to drugs though.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I’m glad Fox made the right decision to hire Stossel. He does bring out the hypocrisy of government and the left in an easy way to comprehend it.

Kini on April 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Stossel is the only political show my wife will watch, and my teenager loves him – his show makes a great tool for introducing/reenforcing concepts of liberty to counterbalance the leftist influence of High School.

peski on April 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Pretty much.

Count to 10 on April 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Sorry, I can’t let this one go. :)

I live in a very liberal state (well part of it is liberal and they control the gov) and those addictive drugs have led to me being viewed as a mere criminal for wanting cold medicine. Oregon makes you get a prescription for sudafed. Still have drug problems here… funny that. Some things you can’t fix by passing laws. You have to work on it at the social/moral level and by pointing out what those drugs do.

Anyway, I grew up watching Stossel on 20/20 and he’s one of the best reporters out there.

oryguncon on April 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

the Newt Gingrich-Fox News feud,

I think Newt just lost me with this from Real Clear Politcs:
“They know I don’t care about their opinions,” he said. “I don’t go to their cocktail parties. I don’t go to their Christmas parties. The only press events I go to are interesting dinners when the wife insists on it, so we’re going to go to the White House Correspondents’ dinner because she wants to. And we’re actually going to go to CNN’s table, not FOX.”

I became a Newt fan because of what he said when he as on FNC. Doesn’t he realize that CNN is just using him and that if he had become our nominee they would attempt to destroy him. sigh

redridinghood on April 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Government isn’t the answer…

Unless we’re talking about…

Policing the world,

unconstitutional wars

and nation building.

In those situations, GOVERNMENT IS THE ANSWER.

Gotta love the GOP’s consistency.

fatlibertarianinokc on April 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

…Government is not the answer!

That must of been nails screetching down the blackboard wall to Lefty ears!!…

canopfor on April 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Not actually. It’s more like simply flipping the switch of Conservatives Are Stupid! rage.

eeyore on April 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The entire Liberal Mainstreasm Media has gone from suck to blow.

(h/t Spaceballs The Movie)

CatchAll on April 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

ABC has sucked for years… and the Mouse caves to any pressure group, but is more than willing to pressure Congress to extend copyright forever to protect the Mouse.

I like Stossel well enough, he just needs to remember that Law of Nation precedes Wealth of Nations, and that borders are there for a reason not just for Nations but their economies. You can’t get rid of Law of Nations as man just keeps on creating it over and over again… and when you seek to corrode the Nation in the name of liberty, perhaps it is time to remember that not all liberty is positive and that Nations are created for a reason.

ajacksonian on April 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on April 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Define “Defense” in the age of ICBM’s, suitcase nukes, terrorists and their sponsoring states.

Too many libertarians think defense means making sure nobody invades us.

Odysseus on April 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

This statement makes me like him even more.

redridinghood on April 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Steve Z on April 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Yep. If conservatives like Stossel and Bernie Goldberg who were at the alphabet networks had stayed, perhaps the networks wouldn’t have gone full lefty.

Syzygy on April 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Even his voice. sheesh.

kaltes on April 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM

New troll? Haven’t seen this one around before….

Barred on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I like Stossel a lot, but I’m not too happy to see all conservatives ghettoized at Fox – that’s no way to reach new audiences with conservative ideas. I am sure Lou Dobbs created far more new conservatives when he was at CNN they he will at FBN. Ditto for Stossel and ABC.

holdfast on April 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Dinosaur media is dying……

Dr Evil on April 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Too many libertarians think defense means making sure nobody invades us.

This issue really gets at the schism within the GOP on foreign policy right now.

You pointed to terrorism as one reason that a “defense-only” approach no longer applies anymore. Apparently it never occurred to you that the primary motivation of suicide terrorism is foreign occupation. In 2000 Candidate Bush said he did not think the United States should “nation build or occupy foreign lands” because “they’ll see as arrogant” and telling them what to do. His implication was that our desire to interfere in their politics and lives would lead to further unintended consequences. My point in bringing this up is that your philosophy (or lack thereof), which sounds a lot like Newt Gingrich’s, lacks any wisdom.

PROFESSOR PAPE; http://chicagomaroon.com/2011/01/28/rethinking-suicide-terrorism/

Libertarians don’t want to take the FIRST incorrect step. While you mere conservatives will make the first bad step, then ignore that step, and operate as though that mistake was never made from that point forward – and even blaming those subject to our aggressive foreign policy! This is typical. People like me, who have been warning about the side effects of foreign intervention (terrorism) are often called “hate America first” for our desire to stop the terrorism/war cycle from starting. Libertarians, in general, want to pursue paths which reduce government force and foreign policy is a huge part of that.

If we want to make the best decisions for our country we should consider the decision that will defend liberty because our liberty is our ultimate safety. And the best way to defend liberty is to pursue the most limited government possible because it’ll require the least amount of government force. Government force is anathema to individual liberty.

If you can apply these same principles to the welfare state, I wonder why you can’t apply the very same principle to the warfare state? Perhaps you should analyze what you’re missing or not understanding in this debate? Your desire to pervert the word, “defense” is not any different than a progressives desire to pervert the phrase, “the general welfare” in the Constitution.

Stop and think about it.

fatlibertarianinokc on April 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Stossel is a national treasure.

Stossel/Bolton: 2012?

Stosh & Stosh?

BuckeyeSam on April 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I’ve liked Stossel since the 80′s, and I remember sometimes the announcers doing a little head-shake when he would talk, like they didn’t fully believe him.

The only reason an ABC would keep him on?

Because he had people that watched him over and over.

itsspideyman on April 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I think most conservatives are about 80% libertarian. The main difference is that most of use feel that we as the people have the right to define the parameters of society and that it is not tyranny to have some standards and tolerance toward religious beliefs, just as religious people can’t enforce beliefs. I understand Stossel’s points, but some of them don’t change my opinion while some do.

flataffect on April 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

28 years? Good God, Stossel, what took you so long? Sucks worse now that it’s the AllBarakaChannel and its local Chicago affiliate which brought us Doprah sucks just as bad and, like the network, they just can’t drool enough over Obama.

Glad you’re with Fox and hope you stay for a very long time.

stukinIL4now on April 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

DNC’s ABC chased away Bob Zelnick after he dared write something critical of the Clintoons. Certainly the late Frank “Get it right!” Reynolds now spins in his grave.

viking01 on April 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

“ABC sucks”.

something we can all agree one.

acyl72 on April 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Stossel’s conservative principles would only allow him to suffer ABC’s liberal bias for three decades.

plewis on April 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM

forest on April 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

+100 and I’m not even sure that’s a typo.

redmama on April 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Wait for ABC’s new Prime Time news show:

“The Gingrich/Olbermann Report”, in which two giant egos clash for 60 minutes. Critics will use words such as Idiots, imbeciles, troglodytes, ignoramus, fools, or even nincompoops, but still fall short.

The program, of course, will be a huge hit.

Syd B. on April 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM