Dershowitz: The charging instrument filed against George Zimmerman is “unethical” and will never make it past a judge

posted at 9:05 pm on April 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

Four and a half minutes of brutal criticism for prosecutor Angela Corey, whom he accuses straight-out of grandstanding for political gain. It’ll take you 30 seconds to read the entire charging instrument but I’ll save you 20 and post the critical bit:

Second-degree murder under Florida law is defined as:

The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual

Dershowitz’s point: There’s nothing in the charging instrument that suggests probable cause to believe Zimmerman had a “depraved mind regardless of human life” when he shot Martin. On the contrary, he notes, the facts as stated are consistent with self-defense. (Tellingly, there’s also no reference to Zimmerman’s injuries.) The prosecution can amend the affidavit to strengthen its case if the judge throws it out, but then you’re left wondering why they didn’t submit a more detailed affidavit in the first place.

I don’t understand Corey’s strategy in charging him with murder two. Maybe she thinks Zimmerman will plead to a lesser charge, but if it’s anything less than manslaughter she’s going to take tremendous heat for having gone too easy on him. That’s a weird predicament for a politically-minded prosecutor to put herself in. She’ll take some heat even if she gets him to cop to manslaughter, in fact, since manslaughter is a crime of simple negligence and people who want him prosecuted believe Zimmerman’s far more morally culpable than that. (This is all assuming he’d be willing to make a deal, which, given the weakness of the charging instrument, he probably isn’t.) In fact, I also don’t get why she insisted on filing an affidavit of probable cause instead of taking the case to a grand jury. If they refused to indict him, she could have blamed them for him getting off and claimed she’d given it her best effort. As it is, if Dershowitz is right, her own affidavit’s about to be tossed by a judge and then she’ll have to answer for why she couldn’t even get to first base on a conviction.

Maybe her plan is to use the judge here as a get-out-of-tough-cases card? She probably knows she can’t get Zimmerman on murder two, but she also doesn’t want to be the one to have to break that to the public. She also doesn’t want to have to try to prosecute him on murder two if the evidence isn’t there, which would be a risk if the grand jury did indict him. So instead she’s taking the middle path: Go directly to the judge with a weak charging instrument and rely on him/her to throw it out. Then come back with a new affidavit listing a lesser charge — manslaughter or murder three — and say that she has no choice but to prosecute Zimmerman under that because the court stymied her on murder two. I’ll be curious to see what the fact pattern in those affidavits looks like because, frankly, if it’s as thin as the excerpt I posted up top, I’m not sure she’ll get the court to sign off on those charges either.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 16

Exactly what I thought. Murder 2 is epic overreach.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Lesson learned: You have no right to defend yourself in the United States of America.

Welcome to the Thunderdome.

Embargo: On

-Master Blaster

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I think I’ll just watch from the sidelines in case this gets out of hand.

Bishop on April 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I told my wife yesterday that the only count of 2nd degree murder was so the prosecuter could get out of this. a jury would find for manslaughter but not second degree murder.

gerrym51 on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Very interesting. Based on what we think we know, I thought yesterday — along with numerous other commenters — that manslaughter would have been a more likely charge. I continue to suspend judgment, but Dershowitz’s point is well taken.

J.E. Dyer on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

So when my head is being bashed against concrete, that isn’t fearing for my life? I am not allowed to defend myself against that?

What kind of a world do these people live in?

DavidM on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Yep, the whole thing yesterday was to placate a certain group of folks.

Especially when the mother came out and said she thought it was an accident.

Zimmerman was sold a bill of goods to turn himself in.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I thought I heard the judge today accept this as probable cause. Made me wonder if Dershowitz hadn’t watched the hearing. Did I miss something?

teri_b on April 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Bishop on April 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Chicken

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

They are trying to pull a Nifong on Zimmerman. The burden of proof for murder in the 2nd seems awfully steep. My gut tells me the charges may get tossed or if we have a fair-minded jury he’ll be acquitted.

Then watch out as Sanford and other major metro areas gets “shabazzed” just in time for the conventions!

Rixon on April 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I wonder what office Ms Corey wants to run for…

rightmom2 on April 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This isn’t going to end well.

Rational Thought on April 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

But…but…she said that they only prosecute cases based on evidence..not public opinion…

Funny how they had 90% of the evidence the night it happened…

BigWyo on April 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I think I’ll just watch from the sidelines in case this gets out of hand.

Bishop on April 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I’m with you, up in the bleachers, these race threads are unfavorable to me, ill temper and all. I don’t care what cozmo thinks.

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

This whole case was already so tainted by the Democrat Media by the time Zimmerman was arrested that there is absolutely no way he could ever hope to get a Fair Trial.

Some high profile Republican lawyer should take Zimmerman’s case pro bone. Is Roy Black still around?

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

“Travon’s mother reviewed the 911 calls and identified the voice crying for help as Travon Martins voice”

And how credible is that? Of course the mother is going to say that regardless of what she heard.

JPeterman on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I see a riot coming after all the ginning up by the media.

Southernblogger on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I thought Corey’s affect was really strange during her press conference yesterday. She was very giddy, which was inappropriate, and she was gushing over the parents. Most of what she said seemed proper; it just didnt’ match her demeanor.

teri_b on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

lol, pro bono

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

The affidavit states that Zimmerman “profiled” Martin, and then used verbs like felt and assumed. How do they know?

teri_b on April 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Never underestimate a stupid judge who is also being threatened by Black muslims and race-pimps.
Nifong…remember him too

burrata on April 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Well, if she’s lucky, the judge tossing the case will be Republican.

EMD on April 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

After all, it’s cool to be an amateur at a job you are WAY under-qualified for these days.

Just ask the Nobel Laureate In Chief.

Few Things Considered on April 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Unless the Prosecutor hopes for an OJ like jury where the reverse happens: Zimmerman is convicted solely on the racial issue..

melle1228 on April 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Think this media-fed, race-hustling circus is bad? Just wait for the civil case. No matter how this criminal trial comes out, Zimmerman’s financial life is finished.

Byron on April 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

So this is gonna go nowhere fast.
Riots to follow.

Kini on April 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Don’t think MS would be a gift. There is a gun enhancement which I believe tacts on an additional 20 years to MS if he were convicted.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

rightmom2 on April 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

She’s running for re-election as State Attorney – Fourth Judicial Circuit.

INC on April 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I see a riot coming after all the ginning up by the media.

Southernblogger on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Which is part of the plan. Expect martial law in many swing states as the election approaches.

SouthernGent on April 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Give her credit if this plan works. Brilliant strategy for passing the buck.

I’d love to see gun sales figures in Sanford, FL…

bobsacramento on April 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Maybe she’s trying to get it tossed so Eric Holder can file federal charges against him. This administration seems hell bent on fomenting race riots.

txhsmom on April 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Do they know something about the judge that we don’t know?

Wigglesworth on April 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I think pro bone is how young men get talked into helping young women move into their new apartments.

massrighty on April 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

lol, pro bono

Del Dolemonte on April 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for the correction. I thought I’d stumbled into a Sandra Fluke thread…

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Well, even if he only gets convicted of manslaughter, Holder’s DOJ can still bring federal charges. And don’t forget the civil trial.

His life is ruined regardless.

johnboy on April 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

are these things usually written so terribly? zimmerman profiled martin? zimmerman assumed he was a criminal? neither could be further from the truth based on zimmermans testimony.

TheBlueSite on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

gerrym51 on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Close but no banana. His lawyers will never let him near a jury, it’s too risky in this screwed up country. They will choose to go with the judge only and this will fall apart in court quickly. There will be riots. corey better have a job from barry and holder waiting for her because I think this is just what was needed to get our slumbering Tea Party in North Florida to wake up. She is done politically as a republican.

peacenprosperity on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Byron on April 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

His life was finished as soon as the LSM got a hold of this story.

Remember Richard Jewell?

JPeterman on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think he may be right.
It will take an angry jury to convict on murder two if Martin actually hit him first.
She could have gone for a lesser charge and gave him two or three years in jail.

NeoKong on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I see a riot coming after all the ginning up by the media.

Southernblogger on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

A feature, not a bug.

CurtZHP on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

teri_b on April 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Perhaps they used some specially-edited ‘evidence’ from NBC?

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

…he notes, the facts as stated are consistent with self-defense.

Which should mean on any charge he should not be held to answer. But because this is a political case I sincerely doubt it will be dismissed. They appointed a hot new judge and she is not going to throw away her career.

If it is denied, I wonder if it can be appealed to a higher court which would be less chickenshite.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

a jury would find for manslaughter but not second degree murder.

gerrym51 on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I disagree.

It’s a textbook example of justifiable homicide. As long as Zimmerman hangs tough and doesn’t get scared into pleading, he’ll walk.

There is no case, this whole thing is a political/racial circus.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

You’re totally misreading the prosecutor here, AP. She has gone all in on this one.

She didn’t go to the grand jury because she knows they would not give her murder 2. She thinks she has a better chance of getting it through a preliminary hearing that will turn into a circus.

She wants to be governor, not part of the justice system. She sees this as her political ticket.

Captain Kirock on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

johnboy on April 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Holder leaves in Jan along with his boss.

Southernblogger on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

JPeterman on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Mama Zimmerman should testify that it’s her boy.

Wethal on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

ugh. the dispatcher did not give zimmerman an order! if that’s an order, they need to send the dispatcher back to english class.

TheBlueSite on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

You have no right to life if you have no right to self defense. There is no self defense if the gov’t can still ruin your life afterwards.

The legal system in this country would rather you were killed than defended yourself.

aniptofar on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

It seem’s you don’t have the right to walk down a street with nothing but candy in your hand too.

Didn’t Martin have the same Stand Your Ground rights too? An armed man is pursuing him… for walking down a street and having candy. And now Martin is dead.

How can someone not be charged?

I’m all for gun rights, I have no problem with open carry. But if you take someone who is unarmed on, and you start getting your @ss kicked, and you pull out your gun and kill that person. You need to man up or stop chasing people you shouldn’t, or be ready to stand trial for a corpse at your feet.

I walk around unarmed all the time. But if someone is in the mood to get a little exercise by jerking on my chain, I’m game. If you want to put guns into play, catch me when I am at home, I’ve got a few.

Hog Wild on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Captain Kirock on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I was guessing attorney general first.

Wethal on April 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

sorry, but the media has been reporting for weeks that there was one witness to the actual struggle, that zimmerman was being bashed in the head with martin on top, and that it was zimmerman who was crying for help.

who determines the “facts” in this instrument? because none of them match any of the evidence being reported.

TheBlueSite on April 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Maybe she thinks Zimmerman will plead to a lesser charge,

Remember, Corey is the same prosecutor who charged a 12 year old as an adult basically to get a plea. She has yet to get it.

Zaggs on April 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

In an alternate universe, would it not be funny (Monty Python type funny) to see Caucasians swarming over the hills to burn down cities, etc? Truly, I am not making light of a terrible situation, but think about it…….Little Big Horn style…….it would give folks pause, that’s for sure. We just don’t operate like that…….but, hmmm….I’ve heard the saying fight fire with fire.

waterytart on April 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

This is an important point in the process, -it is likely to not even get to trial, as charged.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

teri_b on April 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

+1. That was my first reaction too: To me the image was that of pampered & self-satisfied cat bringing a dead bird in from the yard and dropping it in your lap as if to say “look what i brought you arent i great?”

Sacramento on April 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Hog Wild on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

You cannot beat a man to death, just because they’re following you.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

He may take a plea because, if he doesn’t, he’ll be facing an improvised death penalty. His family will too. He may agree to spend a couple years in prison just to let things simmer down.

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Where in Hell has Pam Bondi been with regards to the NPB’s obvious violation of the law?

SouthernGent on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Especially when the mother came out and said she thought it was an accident.

Zimmerman was sold a bill of goods to turn himself in.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

“We just wanted an arrest, and we got it, and I say thank you. Thank you, Lord. Thank you, Jesus,” said Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton.

“Crucify him!”

Shay on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The gf left a twitter trail. The next day she went shoe shopping. She posted RIP tray and then a photo of a pair of expensive shoes she liked. Two weeks later, she had a new bf. There had been some meme that she had to be hospitalized but she didn’t look all that broken up if at all.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Hog Wild on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

You cannot beat a man to death, just because they’re following you.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Bingo! You call 911.. Is there any evidence that Trayvon did that?

melle1228 on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

So basically, we’re under mob rule.

I don’t for a second believe that a jury would throw anything out. It’s possible, but with knowing the mobs may tweet your address if your on a jury, put a bounty on your head, it would take a pretty courageous jury to bring about justice if the evidence pointed to not guilty.

JellyToast on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

There is no case, this whole thing is a political/racial circus.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Also, Treyvon’s mama will make a bunchload of money selling merchandise
and
Obama will get his race-riots to kill whitey and cancel elections

burrata on April 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The prosecutor punted. Ball’s in the Judge’s court now, and he (or she) will have to be the bad guy.

This whole situation is bad news.

Patton531 on April 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This is exactly what happened in the Rodney King trial. The prosecutors overreached and went after the cops for murder, which was ridiculous. Sure, they should have been convicted at that time, but for murder?

When the verdict came down, there was outrage because all people saw were “bad cops gettin’ off”

They’d better be careful.

cranbone on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

aniptofar on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

You are just now figuring that out.

chemman on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

teri_b on April 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

That’s their opinion, and a judge would laugh it out of court. Stick to the facts, counselor.

Ward Cleaver on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

They want him to do serious time and if they don’t get it there will be riots. So, there will be no simmering down. He doesn’t deserve to do time at all.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Obama will get his race-riots to kill whitey and cancel elections

burrata on April 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Yeah…about that…it ain’t going to play the way he thinks it will considering “whitey” in this country are sitting on enough guns and ammo to blow the moon out of the sky.

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

But too bad for them they needed to charge him with manslaughter. A juror can find him guilty or not guilty on 2nd degree murder, they can’t crate a new charge. So hopefully t the prosecutor sticks with 2nd degree. If so, Zimmerman will walk.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

cranbone on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

“Mr. Can’t we all get along” is still alive so murder wasn’t the overreach in that case.

chemman on April 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

So basically, we’re under mob rule.

JellyToast on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You are so jaded…and so right.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I don’t think he does either, but he may decide he’s safer in prison, in isolation for a couple years.

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Hog Wild on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

You cannot beat a man to death, just because they’re following you.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Bingo! You call 911.. Is there any evidence that Trayvon did that?

melle1228 on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Do we know he had a phone with him? Oh wait, -yes, there was one in his hand.

So one guy called the police and one guy didn’t. Right there you tend to favor the word of the guy that chose to involve the police up front.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I just saw that press conference of Mrs Corey. I was flabbergasted. Do all prosecutors blabber such melodramatic self-congratulatory nonsense in their pressers? “Truth-seeker”, wasnt that printed on Rhiell Hunters business cards? It was really surreal.

Valkyriepundit on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

*pops popcorn*

tdpwells on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

They’d better be careful.

cranbone on April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Do you mean attempted murder? Because there was the little problem of Rodney King still sucking oxygen after the beating.

The big problem with that situation as I remember it was that they moved the trial to a whitopia area and the whole jury was white.

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

She’s hoping for a plea bargain.

When all else fails, our hero, Eric Holder will step in (it) with an alleged Civil Rights Violation. That might well get tossed out of court as well.

Best hope for those who want a conviction will be in a civil case for wrongful death – and that will be left up to a jury where you only need a majority vote.

GarandFan on April 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

That or she’s pulling a Nifong.

NerwenAldarion on April 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

If the charges are dropped, Zimmerman might be safer in his mother’s home country of Peru for a year or two. Or at least until we have a new attorney general in this country.

Wethal on April 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on April 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

…right into the hands of the moron Eric Holder. Maybe that’s the plan.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Didn’t Martin have the same Stand Your Ground rights too?

Yes. But this is not a SYG case. It is straight forward self defense law.

Hog Wild on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

So is the truth… you killed it.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

If a large majority of the jury is black, Zimmerman will be found guilty. We all know that. When it comes to race or justice, blacks go with race. Heck, when it comes between anything and race blacks always go with race. Look at Chairman Obama’s approval among blacks.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Poor bastard…he’s screwed no matter what. Assuming he gets out of this, he’s going to have to move to another country, or find himself trying to live under constant threat of physical harm. If he gets convicted (just from what I’ve heard thus far about the case, that would be a serious miscarriage of justice), he’ll probably get killed in jail. No wonder his lawyer didn’t ask for bail. He’s safer in solitary then out on bail.

Something I want to know…this kid that was killed…from what I’ve been able to find, was no prize. Why isn’t his record of past offenses being more publicized? His record makes him sound like a thug-in-progress. Instead, it’s Zimmerman being crucified.

Why isn’t more of an issue made out of the injuries Zimmerman sustained? If somebody bashed my head in like what I saw, I’d be grabbing a gun and shooting him too. This whole media circus just isn’t making much sense to me.

And that bit about the media calling Zimmerman a “white latino”? WTF is THAT all about? This race/class war crap is really starting to grate on my nerves. And not a word from that first class jerk of an AG about the bounty that the NBP have put on the guy’s head.

sage0925 on April 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Valkyriepundit on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

No. That was a first for me. She was disgusting.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 practically the entire time, begging for the police to show up.

Hardly the image the MSM pushed of a racist vigilante.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Zaggs on April 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I think corey has screwed the pooch on this but don’t be so fast to condemn on that other case. The more that is learned about that little angel the more it appears that he’s a monster. After all the uproar about charging him as an adult for smashing his 18 month old brothers brains in against a book case it turns out he was possibly sexually molesting his 5 year old brother also. It seems they knew about the second charges but were putting the case together and did not file until after the murder charges.

peacenprosperity on April 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Angela Corey looked a lot like my five year old niece over a big bowl of strawberry ice cream making that announcement.

That’s right.

Corey is five years old and Zimmerman is a bowl of ice cream – probably vanilla though – evil vanilla.

DHChron on April 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

If it ever goes to trial, the jurors will have to be exceptionally courageous too. If I were Zimmerman, I wouldn’t want to depend on the jury having enough balls. I think he’ll end up taking a plea.

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

You cannot beat a man to death, just because they’re following you.

Rebar on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

But you can shoot to death those you are following? Is that really your point?

But you still ignore something significant. I like Stand Your Ground laws, I’m not much of a “running away cowering in fear” type myself.

Those rights just apply to those who carry guns? Where’s the concern for Martin’s rights to Stand His Ground? Someone is following him, for no appearant reason, and Martin doesn’t have the right to defend himself.

We all OK with armed people following us for no appearant reason other than the color of our skin and we are wearing a sweatshirt with a hood on it? Is that really the arguement?

Hog Wild on April 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

SouthernGent on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Attorney General Pam Bondi have appointed a special prosecutor to investigate the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, removing the state attorney who had been considering the case.

Scott and Bondi appointed State Attorney Angela B. Corey, whose office handles cases in Duval, Clay and Nassau counties.

I think Sanford is in Seminole county. Why they went with Corey, I do not know, but I haven’t been actively keeping up on the details.

Bondi endorsed Romney. She’s probably hoping to keep several degrees of separation between her and this case because of the politicizing that’s going on.

INC on April 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Believe me he doesn’t agree with you. I’m sorry, but that is just plain crazy talk.

Blake on April 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

What kind of a world do these people live in?

DavidM on April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I think you need to wait for evidence that the supposed head bashing occurred in the first place. It’s all but a given based on forensic evaluation that the loud cries for help did not come from Zimmerman, which directly contradicts his claims to the contrary. So keep in mind that George would have you believe that as Martin screamed and pleaded for help, Martin was also assaulting and victimizing him.

It may be hard for a jury to buy this story and George’s lies could convince them that he in fact did act on an impulse to commit murder.

bayam on April 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Do you mean attempted murder?

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You are correct, sir!

The point is that overreach can be a recipe for riots. This already started out as an “outrage against a racist legal system”.

cranbone on April 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

He may agree to spend a couple years in prison just to let things simmer down.

RBMN on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Right, let’s see how the black gangs deal with him in prison. I don’t think he’s safe anywhere in the US.

bayam on April 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I agree. If she wanted to be convincing about her assertion that the prosecution isn’t politically motivated, the best way is to have some independent power back up your assertions. Bypassing the Grand Jury and making that call all on your own is hard to justify in a controversial case like this unless you’re trying to grandstand for political points.

Socratease on April 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

How in the heck do you “defend” yourself from being followed? Answer: you don’t.. You call the police and let someone know. Defense is for use of force.

melle1228 on April 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

If it does go to trial for murder 2 I can’t imagine it doesn’t end in a hung jury.

Now Dersh’s points seem right on to me, but remember, the judge is only human, and (s)he doesn’t want to be in the lynch mob’s sights anymore than anyone else, so it could certainly go to trial regardless of how correct Dersh might be.

kjl291 on April 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Exactly what I thought. Murder 2 is epic overreach.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

This was the first thought I had, too. Good to hear confirmation of what seemed obvious coming from Allah and Dershowitz. After listening to this granstanding clown prosecutor, all I could think was that she is handing off a no-win case to the judge and jury to do her job for her.

Jaibones on April 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM