Democrats declare war on women? Update: Frequent White House visitor?

posted at 8:41 am on April 12, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

By the time Allahpundit included this clip in his QOTD post, DNC adviser and Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen’s attack on Ann Romney had already raised eyebrows.  By the time the clocks clicked past midnight, her remarks had become so infamous that Barack Obama’s campaign leaders had to go on Twitter to toss Rosen under the proverbial bus.  Rosen scoffed at the notion that a stay-at-home mom of five, who also happens to be battling MS and has survived cancer, has any insight into economic concerns of women in America:

Rosen later wrote a “clarification” at the Huffington Post expressing her admiration for Ann Romney’s “grit” in dealing with her illnesses, but the damage had already been done. Incredibly, Rosen later complained that Ann Romney “didn’t answer my follow up tweet to her! Which I thought was respectful and sincere.”  What was Rosen’s idea of “respectful and sincere”?  How about this: “I am raising children too. But u do know that most young american women have to earn a living AND raise their kids don’t u?”

Yeah, it’s Ann Romney’s fault for not replying to such a “respectful” riposte, huh?  Rosen’s the real victim here.

The Romney campaign blasted Rosen as an “Obama adviser” (she’s tied to the DNC, not the Obama campaign) and called this “their new ‘kill Ann’ strategy and in the process insul[t] hard-working moms.”  And that had Team Obama worried enough for a couple of heavy hitters to take to Twitter late last night to do damage control.  David Axelrod, Obama’s closest adviser, tweeted: “Also Disappointed in Hilary Rosen’s comments about Ann Romney. They were inappropriate and offensive.”  Jim Messina, who runs the Obama 2012 campaign, demanded an apology from Rosen: “I could not disagree with Hilary Rosen any more strongly. Her comments were wrong and family should be off limits. She should apologize.”

It’s too late for that; the mask has already slipped.  Rosen has delivered the Left’s honest opinion about women who choose to stay home to raise their children, and unless the DNC distances themselves from her, we can assume that’s the official Democratic Party position.  If Democrats wanted to see Republicans unite behind Mitt Romney, they picked the best possible strategy to make it happen by declaring war on Ann Romney and stay-at-home moms.

Update: Democrats were quick to insist that Rosen has no role at the White House, but Jim Geraghty reports that the rebuttal seems to be more of an issue of semantics:

White House visitor logs indicate that “Hilary Rosen” visited the White House thirty-five times.

Gen. David Petraeus, head of our efforts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the current CIA director, nine times.

Meanwhile, see if you can guess who said this in 2008?

“You know essentially, you’ve taken on sort of the most sympathetic person in the candidate’s realm, the wife, who is taking care of the children, supporting the husband, doing everything she can because she loves him … [it's a] stupid strategy.”

You get three guesses, and the first two don’t count.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

“Your friend” being cozmo. From that one post it’s unlikely Horace was banned, and unless you know that to be true it’s not wise to start rumors like that.

Okay, but Horace was one of my best friends here. Not intended as a rumor, just an observation and an unanswered question. I miss Horace severely. Miss you Horace!

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I get tired of these petty spats among commenters. I’m outa here for the day.

Qzsusy on April 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I get tired of these petty spats among commenters. I’m outa here for the day.

Qzsusy on April 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Bye.

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

. . .
Or felt that the good Newt did outweighed the bad. It’s all personal perspective.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Ummmm . . . of course, I’m sure you understand that was only speaking for what I meant when I said what I said, Cindy.

Now as for your third possibility, I keep remembering an old Tommy Smothers line about Nixon during Watergate.

“Some people believe he’s telling the truth . . .
and some people believe they’ve seen a chicken with lips.”

Trochilus on April 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So, you weren’t banned?
Susanboo on April 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Hey whaddaya’ know, I have a fan!

I’ll even share you with buymoredanishstuff. She ain’t so bad, except when she goes nutball and bashes the other candidates.

Now that right there is funny! cozmo banned! LOL!

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Not as funny as you might think. I wouldn’t know what to do without my daily warning.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Lots of folks who Newt attracted to his cause this cycle were not around in the late ’90s; while others who were around simply failed to remember the Newt of old.
Trochilus on April 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I vividly remember the 1990s and the good Newt. I’ve always thought he was brilliant, love his historical perspective and knowledge, and he’s obviously articulate. My one reservation had to do with reports about his atrocious management style and that so many people who worked with him were warning that he wasn’t cut out for the White House (an interview with Tom Delay on Rush was particularly memorable). Later I learned more about his affair with Calista which occurred while he was attacking Clinton for Lewinsky, and that some (like Dick Armey) claimed he had been blackmailed by Clinton. As the campaign progressed and he began his attacks on Bain Capital the bad Newt slowly but surely revealed itself. His meltdown after Nevada was a terrible embarrassment. And its only gotten worse since then with his desperate attacks on the “elite media” and now Fox. Oh, and he pushed Calista under the bus, so I’m wondering what kind of conversations they’re having. I said the other day that I’m “disappointed”. Certain commenters here claim I “hate” him. And so it goes…

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Trochilus on April 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I bet you thought the government shut down was horrible. I thought it was fantastic. Maybe perspective wasn’t the right word, perhaps I should have used objectives. I like big and bold and actual action, no slow plodding incrementalism that never amounts to anything. He’s not always right but at least he is willing to try stuff out of the box. So it really is perspective, I realize that not many people are willing to make that kind of commitment which is why Newt won’t be the nominee. The difference is that I don’t belittle people who don’t agree with me and tend to take exception to those who don’t extend that same respect.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM

To Cindy who is not “speaking” to me:

-The Marxist/Progressive/Democrats like “incrementalism” just fine. Why do you think O is in the White House? This is part of a 50 year plan. Clean them up, throw out the hippie dippie clothing, put them in a suit, and voila. Mainstream, baby.

-The Government shutdown was a disaster and cost us the House. So yay rah rah.

-The reason Newt is not the nominee is not because people “aren’t willing to share his commitment”; He’s not the nominee because he’s proven to be an insufferable jackass/narcissist who is not dissimilar from O in that regard.

-I’m ignoring your last statement about belittling people.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

O.T. OMG Palin “doesn’t want Newt to drop out”. Totally clueless..

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

First rule of holes honey, first rule of holes.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

First rule of holes honey, first rule of holes.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You’re right! Palin should stop digging. Her guy Newt is the one who needed to be vetted the most (and she fails to see him crashing and burning). How funny is that?

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

How funny is that?

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Rolling on the floor side splitting hilarious, you just can’t help yourself when it comes to chasing away potential Romney converts.

You never fail to entertain in your nutballyness.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM

cozmo can’t admit that Palin, for all her many positive attributes, is making a ginormous error by jumping on crazy Newt’s bandwagon and pushing this dead idea that “we need more debate”. Newt is embarrasing the GOP right now. If I wore a tinfoil hat, I could imagine some wacko conspiracy where Ms. Rage Against the Establishment Machine is delighted with this. But that’s not a reasonable conclusion. I think she’s just not as savvy about strategy as some think. Energy? Now that’s an area where she rocks and should focus.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

How embarrassing that I misspelled embarrassing…^^^

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Cheers for stay-at-home Moms and stay-at-home Dads.

bmmg39 on April 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I would imagine you had a different perspective about government shutdowns and furloughs when your spouse was on the active roles.

Buy Danish on April 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM