Quotes of the day

posted at 10:44 pm on April 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Rick Santorum’s decision Tuesday to suspend his campaign effectively ends the GOP nomination fight. But it doesn’t mark the start of the general election between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama. That contest has long been under way. Mr. Obama’s speech to the Associated Press last week and two appearances in Florida on Tuesday provide a glimpse of the low road the president and his campaign likely will take.

“He will distort beyond recognition his opponent’s arguments. For example, he explained to news executives at the AP that Republicans want to ‘convert more of our investments in education and research and health care into tax cuts—especially for the wealthy.’ Actually, no one has suggested that.

“No honest differences are possible with Mr. Obama. He will impugn the motives of any who disagree with him.”

***

“Now, in the face of mounting attacks from Democrats and the Obama campaign, Mr. Romney is taking steps to address [the] gender gap head on. In the past week, his campaign has devised a three-pronged strategy, which it finalized Tuesday night, advisers familiar with the internal discussions said. They will try to debunk the notion that Mr. Romney’s policies have hurt women, turn the criticism back on Mr. Obama and outline how they believe women have suffered under his administration, and brand those issues in a memorable way…

“As the Romney campaign pivots to the general election, his aides will reintroduce him to voters, warming up his image by emphasizing his role as a devoted father and husband. Mr. Romney’s wife, Ann, has already made several Web videos that feature her reminiscences, along with gauzy family photos; voters are likely to see more of these. Mrs. Romney will also increase her campaign appearances; she has already begun to talk about how women tell her that they care deeply about the economy, where the campaign wants to keep its focus. Polls showed that as the Republican primary campaign dragged on, Mr. Romney began losing support with women, who may have been put off by the nominating contest’s focus on social issues like Planned Parenthood, immigration and contraception.

“‘Women voters are pocketbook voters, and the highest casualties of President Obama’s failures on the economy have been among women,’ said Eric Fehrnstrom, a senior adviser to Mr. Romney, a former governor of Massachusetts.”

***

“Rick Santorum had been the last best hope of Christian conservatives who opposed Mitt Romney, derided by many as a ‘Massachusetts moderate.’ Now, facing the abrupt end of Mr. Santorum’s presidential bid, some evangelical leaders have begun to rally behind Mr. Romney, saying their shared hostility toward President Obama will be a powerful force for uniting the party in November…

“Mr. Romney, a range of evangelical leaders said, must not waver in his support for conservative principles if he hopes to tap the energies of Christian conservatives in the general campaign…

“‘Going to the general election, I will do everything I can for Governor Romney,’ [Gary Bauer] said.

“‘But his campaign has got to make it easy for me to help them,’ he added, ‘and not make it hard by being tempted to pull back on conservative issues.’”

***

“Some high-profile conservatives are warning Romney not to marginalize Santorum.

“‘If they want to be successful, they have to figure out a way to incorporate him into the campaign,’ said Family Research Council head Tony Perkins, noting that Santorum ‘could’ve held this thing out even longer.’…

“But even before Santorum left Gettysburg on Tuesday, some senior Republicans were fretting about the specter of Tampa being hijacked by one of the losing candidates and their supporters.

“‘We can’t let somebody who’s a better performer upstage Romney,’ said one influential party leader, recalling GOP conventions in 1976 (Ronald Reagan) and 1992 (Pat Buchanan) when the nominee’s message was stepped on by his chief primary opponent. ‘We can’t have another shrill speech like what Pat did in 1992 with our gender gap.’”

***

“Most political professionals, including many Republicans, think that President Obama will win reëlection handily — and this belief is reflected in the betting markets. At Ladbroke’s, the British bookmaker, the odds on an Obama victory are four-to-nine, which means you have to bet ninety dollars to win forty. These odds imply that the chance of Obama winning is about sixty-nine per cent. At Intrade, an online-trading exchange, the implied probability of an Obama victory is a bit lower, but only a bit: sixty-one per cent.

“Despite having been an early proponent of the view that things were shifting in Obama’s direction, I am reluctant to embrace the new conventional wisdom that the result is virtually a foregone conclusion. If the past few months have taught us anything, it is that things can change pretty rapidly in American politics. Unlike Walter Mondale in 1984 or Bob Dole in 1996, Romney isn’t a complete no-hoper. According to a new poll from ABC News and the Washington Post, three in four Americans still think that the economy is in recession, and, by a margin of four percentage points, voters trust Romney more than Obama to handle the economy.

“Clearly, though, there has been a turn. Back in October, Obama’s approval ratings were languishing in the low forties; head-to-head polls showed him lagging Romney in many battleground states, such as Florida; and the unemployment rate stood at 9.1 per cent. Since then, what a reversal of fortune we’ve seen.”

***

“Conservative primary voters are more discriminating than ever, looking seriously at the flaws of old heroes like Gingrich and new saviors like Rick Perry. They are more willing to keep the primary contest going than before. All they need is a candidate to lead them.

“What if that candidate, come 2016 or 2020, is a current rather than former elected official? Someone with no votes for Medicare Part D or No Child Left Behind in his record? Someone who has governed, without tax increases or TARP bailouts? The bench will not be as depleted from the Bush years next time.

“By winning 11 primaries and caucuses, Rick Santorum was the most successful conservative insurgent since Ronald Reagan in 1976. But that still isn’t good enough. The right is seeking to emulate Reagan in 1980 instead.”

***

“Guess what? His wife has never actually worked a day in her life. She’s never really dealt with the economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing—in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and how do—why we worry about their future. So I think it’s, yes, it’s about these positions, and yes there will be a war of words about the positions, but there’s something much more fundamental about Mitt Romney—he just seems so old-fashioned when it comes to women, and I think that comes across, and I think that’s going to hurt him over the long term. He just doesn’t really see us as equal.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Another way to cut down on the “blue” is to link to a word or two and not the majority of your comment…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

“kook” isn’t the word(s) I’d use, Dire…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Dire, I have been reading your post before I was old enough to post (well at least since the Ed and Allah had the last open enroll) you and many others, Sched, Madcon and many of the other long timers have given me hope for the country. Bmore, Koolaid, Lanceman, and others have made me realize I’m not alone in my conservative beliefs. I do appreciate and enjoy the tutelage.

uncommon sense on April 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Then what’s a conservative to do? Vote for the three-time adulterer? Vote for the husband of a wife who lived with an abortion doctor? Or vote for the husband of a wife who donated a buck fifty to an organization that insists they just do breast exams? btw, Planned Parenthood does not equal abortion mill.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Sir, the SOLE purpose of Planned Parenthood is to KILL Babies. Keep reminding me and I’ll happily dig out the horror stories for you at a later time.

Gingrich may well be a 3 time adulterer, BUT in one instance he married a shrew that publicly stated she would destroy him if he didn’t behave as she demanded, and in another his wife asked for the divorce before he became involved with another woman. IMHO, the most important thing remains his record of HISTORIC accomplishments while Speaker in Congress. Would you deny a doctor who could best save your life because he had a girlfriend?

Santorum I’ve no interest in defending, but much like the ABO people I’m one of the ABR people due to his liberal actions while in government. You see, I KNOW to NEVER trust ANY liberal due to my time spent in ChiTcago.

IMHO, Newt remains the only one willing to fight the RINO GOP establishment as well as the liberal Democrat party AGAIN for our sakes.

A definition of an honest politician is one that stays bought. Newt was more than honest as we paid for him via our votes and he came through for us in spades.

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

“kook” isn’t the word(s) I’d use, Dire…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Good point..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

You are being generous..Obie is a kookloon..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Sorry guys…

… I was putting Little 7% to bed with a book and prayers and closed my eyes for a while.

Good Night All…

… Until tomorrow.

;)

Seven Percent Solution on April 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Later..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Seven Percent Solution on April 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Good Deal..:)

PS..You need to start working on some new drinking games..Something tells me we are going to need them..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Ok, not being on Hawaiian time, it is time for me to bid you all good night also… unlike some of the libs, I have a real job and don’t get paid by Soros to blog all day. lol!

uncommon sense on April 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Narcistic, American loathing, socialist, affirmative action, dipshit would be some of the adjectives I’d use, Dire…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Wow Hawgs, don’t sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel :)

uncommon sense on April 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Thumbs up..That is a good start..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

uncommon sense on April 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I”m not supposed to cuss…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

That I know as well as using ‘follow the link here‘ catchphrase, but due to the piss poor color my monitors refuse to show I worry that my links might be missed.

OK! My bad. I’ll do better, and thank you for the assistance here.

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I”m not supposed to cuss…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

WHAT!!!

Does my daughter harass you too? /s

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

The funny thing, is there are many words in the English language that will get that point across, without being vulgar… I just don’t think I have the time, nor does HA gicve us that much comment space LOL!

Anyway, you all have a fine , um early morning, as I don’t think evening qualifies anymore.

uncommon sense on April 12, 2012 at 3:10 AM

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Abortion is less than 5% of what Planned Parenthood does. STD treatment and testing and contraception services, including things like vasectomies, make up the overwhelming majority of their business.

Just their cancer screening operations, which as far as I can tell have nothing to do with killing babies, dwarfs their abortion services in size.

I’m not justifying all of what they do, I’m merely pointing out that you’re wrong.

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM

PP = Margaret Sanger = racist, eugenicist

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM

PP = Margaret Sanger = racist, eugenicist

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I know. That has nothing to do with what they do today though.

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

I know. That has nothing to do with what they do today though.

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Ha…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Ha…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I admit you make a compelling argument.

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Thanks to whoever led me to the Japanese Suicide Forest Headline thread. More like down the Rabbit Hole where I wandered through thickets of nihilism, religion, means and methods of self-obliteration, possibility for redemption, the choice to not bring new life into this vale of tears…all orchestrated by a, ahem, tortured soul called “Mitchell”.

Okay, so in the end it was all pretty much exposed as a sob story ‘told by a fool, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing’. And after his ruse was discovered, the young teller of the tale devolved into calling everyone Poopyheads.// Still, for awhile, ‘Suicide Mitchell’ took this old Softy on a merry ride. Ha!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 12, 2012 at 3:31 AM

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Gracious of ya…

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 3:31 AM

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America operates clinics which perform abortions and provide birth control[1] and a limited amount of health care. Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion provider in the United States. [2] It performs nearly 200 times more abortions than referrals for adoption. [3] It is a eugenicist-founded organization. It is taxpayer subsidized based upon its tax exempt status and federal funding for birth control.

It promotes alternatives to premarital sex to teenagers, suggesting in a publication called Making Sense of Abstinence that teenagers experiment with foreplay, despite the fact that there is “no research that teenagers who engage in these activities avoid going on to engage in sexual intercourse.” [6]

Planned Parenthood, a non-profit organization, reported an average annual surplus of over $40 million from the fiscal years ending in 2001 through 2006.[4] and had over $1 billion in income in 2006. Planned Parenthood had a surplus of nearly $115 million and received $336 million dollars from the government in order to carry out its operations, including almost 300,000 abortions that year.[5]

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM

DannoJyd on April 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM

300,000 abortions is the number that sticks in my head, too, and I don’t doubt that it’s true. If they did nothing but those 300,000 abortions then I would agree with your statement that their sole purpose is to kill babies. But they do a lot more than that. I think they also perfom somewhere around two million (maybe slightly less, I’m doing this from memory) cancer screenings a year. So, yes, you were wrong.

At this point you should let it go. There is no reason for you to dig the hole you’re in any deeper than you already have.

alchemist19 on April 12, 2012 at 3:51 AM

That’s right, because raising five children while battling cancer and MS isn’t really ‘work’ work.

John the Libertarian on April 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

John, this’ll get buried in the fog of a five-page thread, but I just gotta tell you, “good one”! Imagine what grief the Dems will come up against if they try to take Ann Romney apart.

The War Planner on April 12, 2012 at 3:59 AM

It’s Pat

Gohawgs on April 12, 2012 at 4:22 AM

At least we know Romney can run a good attack add.

JellyToast on April 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Seven Percent Solution on April 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I’d recommend finding a new hobby. reading is always kind of relaxing… imagining what anonymous posters banned from HA are doing…eh not so much (and it kind of indicates who is really living rent free in whom’s head…)

Bradky on April 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM

The War Planner on April 12, 2012 at 3:59 AM

They will just borrow the comments from some of the HA threads with sister wives comments and LDS derangement. Work has already been done for them…

Bradky on April 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM

“Romney…….@least he’s not a Commie”

Well said Beck.

Romney 2012!!!!!

Another shot at getting a limited government Comservative nominee in 2016!

PappyD61 on April 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!

Media diversion campaign now begins….

..TRAYVON!!!!!

….WAR ON WOMEN!!!!!!

….ANN ROMNEY!!!!!!!

…….ANYTHING, but the economy and Obamas record of incompetence.

PappyD61 on April 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Who believes this crap anyway? “THE WAR ON WOMEN”? About the only war I see going on is the Obama camps war on America. Trying to turn equal opportunity into equal outcomes, which we all know won’t work. I can’t believe his advisers believe this country is so bad that people will rush out to vote for Obama, based on that.

One thing Obama isn’t figuring on, the MSM has lost all their credibility so, even though they’re still in the tank for Obama, no one believes them any more.

bflat879 on April 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I wanted to post this here and possibly other locations as those of you over the course of this Primary season have said that Romney would NOT be a fighter which is false.

See this link here

The Romney campaign from the beginning has shown that they will attack Obama and not lay over this election campaign!

They WILL NOT allow the Obama campaign to paint them in a corner. I hope the rest of the conservatives will be on board and help fight against these smears that are definitely already upon us!

g2825m on April 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Was it a dream, or is Romney still the guy?

My head hurts. And a squirrel left it’s tail in my throat.

If it was a dream, will Pam be there when I get out of the shower?

That’s something to look forward to.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I tell ya,
my wife is a stay home with 3 children, and I couldn’t do what she does. she works 7 days a week 24 hours a day.
I could never do it. The Repubs need to jump on this and keep it going through the campaign, this and how little women are paid in the WH, including the job losses to woman, and Obama not golfing with any woman

Conservative4ev on April 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM

If it was a dream, will Pam be there when I get out of the shower?

That’s something to look forward to.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM

No but Janet Reno said to hurry up….

Bradky on April 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Bradky on April 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Way to spoil a fantasy. You are a major buzzkill.

cozmo on April 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM

While we’re at this, it’s not like Moochelle ever had a real go to work everyday job, either. Still doesn’t and never will.

Kissmygrits on April 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM

P

appyD61 on April 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM

yep … gotta keep they curtain closed ….

conservative tarheel on April 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

g2825m on April 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I have stated in another thread that I will support the nominee as long as the nominee acts like he wants the job …. if he pulls a McCain and acts all soft and squishy … “he is a good guy just over his head” stuff then NO I will not vote for him …

conservative tarheel on April 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM

“Obama distorts” is such a tactful way of saying that Obama is nothing but a liar who has never told the truth about anything.

jqc1970 on April 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM