Breaking: Zimmerman to be charged in Martin shooting; Update: Zimmerman arrested, charged with 2nd-degree murder

posted at 2:56 pm on April 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

So says the Washington Post:

Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey plans to announce as early as Wednesday afternoon that she is charging neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the shooting ofTrayvon Martin, according to a law enforcement official close to the investigation.

It was not immediately clear what charge Zimmerman will face. …

Corey told reporters Tuesday night that she would hold a news conference about the case within 72 hours. A news release from her office said the event will be held in Sanford or Jacksonville, Fla.

The latest update on the case before now was that his attorneys had resigned from the case, and that they had lost contact with Zimmerman.  Given the bounties that groups like the New Black Panther Party tried to put on his head, his disappearance is somewhat understandable.  Today, former Zimmerman attorney Hal Uhrig expanded on what he knew about Zimmerman’s whereabouts:

“You can stop looking in Florida,” Uhrig told reporters. “Look much further away than that.”

A few days ago, I wrote that we needed to let the investigation proceed and have the facts established on the record, rather than to continue speculating through the prism of media bias and competing agendas, as has been the case for the last couple of weeks.  If the Post proves accurate with this report, it appears that the special prosecutor in the case has found evidence that Zimmerman’s use of lethal force does not meet the statutory requirements for its use in self-defense.  That evidence will have to be weighed by a jury, and they will have to decide whether the prosecutor can prove that case to a reasonable doubt.

Of course, a trial can’t start until Zimmerman returns to the jurisdiction, if in fact he’s left it at all.  But thanks to the way that this case has been handled by the media and by activists, there will be some reasonable doubt as to whether Zimmerman can get a fair trial.  Media outlets broadcast defamatory and false information about Zimmerman, and some even became activists themselves in the case.  Florida should be able to find twelve people who can fairly judge the evidence presented at trial and only that evidence, but it won’t be an easy task to seat such a panel.

Finally, as I suspected all along, the Stand Your Ground law appears to have nothing to do with this case (although it still might be argued by the defense, of course).  If the law was a problem, the prosecutor wouldn’t be able to file charges against Zimmerman.  This case will hinge instead on the normal, core self-defense laws governing the use of lethal force.  Let’s hope we can all wait to see the evidence and weigh it properly in that context when the time comes.

Update: CNS News provides more insight on why Stand Your Ground is irrelevant in this case, courtesy of Ken Blackwell and Ken Klukowski of Liberty University School of Law:

Under any version of the facts, Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law did not apply in the Trayvon Martin incident. If Zimmerman pursued a confrontation with Martin, then Zimmerman was an attacker and cannot claim SYG. If Zimmerman’s account is true that he was on the ground and Martin was on top of him, then retreat was impossible, so there would be no duty to retreat anyway. A victim in such a situation can use deadly force, but only if he reasonably believes he is being attacked with deadly force.

To our knowledge, that is the law in all fifty states. It was the law before SYG statutes were ever passed, and SYG did nothing to change it.

So why is this not common knowledge after all the reporting on the Martin shooting? Tragically, some anti-gun activists are misinforming the public. They are aided by media commentators who failed the public trust by not researching and understanding the SYG issue before presuming to editorialize on it.

The police are usually not at hand when you are attacked by a criminal. The Second Amendment guarantees the right of law-abiding people to defend themselves. And laws like Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground have restored that right in states where it had been eroded, not to take innocent life, but instead to preserve it.

Be sure to read it all, as they also discuss the high standard involving the legitimate use of lethal force.

Update II: The prosecutor filed second-degree murder charges, and the AP reports that Zimmerman has been arrested:

The neighborhood watch volunteer who shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was arrested and charged with second-degree murder Wednesday after months of mounting tensions and protests across the country.

George Zimmerman, 28, could get up to life in prison if convicted in the slaying of the unarmed black teenager.

Special prosecutor Angela Corey announced the charges but would not discuss how she arrived at them or disclose other details of her investigation, saying: “That’s why we try cases in court.”

Second-degree murder is typically brought in cases when there is a fight or other confrontation that results in death and but does involve a premeditated plan to kill.

Manslaughter would have been another option, so it’s interesting that she went with murder two.  I assume that this means the prosecution believes they can prove that Zimmerman pursued Martin and shot him, but we’ll know more when the preliminary hearing comes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15 16 18

McDuck on April 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I am for Justice, and I want to see the evidence to pass judgement. I do not think that race is any issue in this. I think the a 17 year old is dead and it needs to be looked into.

I will admit that right now, I do not think that Zimmerman was in “mortal danger”.

I could be wrong, but right now with the charges, I think there is something we all do not know.

Neither Martin or Zimmerman are saints, they have both had thier run in’s with the law.

But I just can’t stand people taking Zimmermans side because of his accounting of what happend, when Martin can not tell his side of the story.

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Good call. My bet too.

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Murder 2 may be a stretch for a jury, but we’ll just have to see. If it is, I trust the jury, just as I would trust them if they did come back with Murder 2.

defendant chooses whether he gets a jury or just a judge. If the prosecution follows corey’s lead they will wanrt to try him in an area where a jury trial would be suicide for him. They are sure to know that so they will look for a judge willing to convict zimmerman no matter what the evidence. They won’t find one because the evidence doesn’t exist. zimmerman is acquitted and cities burn.

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

can you get off your high horse already? the man is in custody and will get his day in court sheesh quit acting like he was executed he was just arrested

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Shhhhhhh. We’re all taking notes. /s

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

No doubt you’re right about the pressure for the jury to convict. I didn’t really think you personally were prejudging the case, although I suppose my comment came off that way. Your words were just a convenient point of departure for making my point.

But in a thread with the emotional level of this one, I probably should have made that clear. Gomen nasai.

J.E. Dyer on April 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Yes and avoid pretending that someone cannot kill someone with their fists and making silly comments about skittles.

Again quit with the holier than thou crap. We aren’t buying it..

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I wonder: do prosecutors ever file excessive charges in the hopes that they’ll lose in court? If so, this would be a case where I would cheer that strategy.

starboardhelm on April 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

First thing a competent defense lawyer will do is ask for a change of venue out of this area of Florida. Or ask that a jury be brought in from another county.

Judges are usually assigned randomly, although if this county is large enough, it would have a civil and criminal division.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I miss Horace. Horace would have enjoyed this thread. Horace!!!!!

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

No, you POS. The media has lied about him and you don’t care. It has manufactured “evidence” and has made it very difficult for him to get a fair trial. Of course, none of that matters to you since you’ve convicted him already.

I care about the law more than I care about you and your “feelings.” It is precisely because of people like me that people like you are not railroaded into prison by an overzealous government and a bloodthirsty mob.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

starboardhelm on April 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

uh no it happens all the time she will offer a plea deal down the line

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

A def may plead as soon as a jury panel shows up, and the prosecutor will claim it as a trial win. It’s very deceptive.

Blake on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

..coz!…”think”? you know you are being nice!

KOOLAID2 on April 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Yeah well, give me a break. I’m half all the way in the bag from realizing That with Romney all but securing the nomination, I am on the same side as csdeven, blue gills, buymoredanishstuff chupi and the rest.

Besides, ALYT is mad at me…again.

cozmo on April 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM

does this mean the democrats are waging a war on hispanics?

deimos on April 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM

starboardhelm on April 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Blake on April 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Actually, the law starts out on the defendant’s side, and presumes he is innocent, and his version is what happened. The prosecution must prove otherwise.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I hope you and your family never have to face this type of tragedy of somebody MURDERING one of your own and the MURDER going free

0bamaderangementsyndrom on April 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

You mean like the families of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman in ’94????

L

You are such a dick.

cableguy615 on April 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Do not know the actual numbers, but looks like prosecutions and convictions increased, but I cant seem to open the article.

UNF College Republicans Meeting w/ Guest Speaker Angela Corey! … felony jury trials tripled, and the conviction rate increased from 72% in 2008, to 90%.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I have nothing to say to you, because you turn all replies into a personal attack, which I will not entertain.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

In other words you know you were caught. You see before I called you a liar I challenged you and you continued to post logical fallacies. You’ve been shown to be who you are…a liar.

So yes I know the truth about you and your character bother you and make you uncomfortable but I will continue to call you out. Entertain that.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Good advice, I think you should probably heed it rather than say it in defense! After reading some of your earlier comments at the beginning.

bluemarlin on April 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You are such a dick.

cableguy615 on April 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Dude! He’s been banned.

Blake on April 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Ouch. Damian’s ignorance and prejudice on display for all to see.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Haha, haven’t noticed you until tonight, so I don’t know your history. But judging from what I’ve seen of you on this thread, if yer a troll, yer one of the brighter trolls here. At least debate on on rational terms seems possible.

If not a troll, then my apologies. We need opposing views here, but we need no trolls.

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Dude! He’s been banned.

Blake on April 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Really ? For what?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Looks like she has done her job.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

So, address the following. She was announcing the fact that she was charging somebody with 2nd degree murder. Why was she smiling?

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

J.E. Dyer on April 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

No problem. No malice detected from your side, and I hope none was detected from my side. :)

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Oh by the way, agree 100%.

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Oh that one may not be a troll but his is a faux rationality and rife with dishonesty. If you call him out for lying he will ignore you.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I wont deny I troll on occassion, but my views are wait and see. I just don’t like people convicting either side without proof. And a life is important to many people in many ways. And Zimmermans life is important too, he faces jail for a long time if convicted.

But the facts are not all out there yet.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Oh by the way, agree 100%.

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Pete damian doesn’t believe this for a minute:

People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Read his past posts. He believes Zimmerman is guilty.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

oh please can you be more sanctimonious? and how can you compare the allies of this kid’s parents pushing for an ARREST to what Sean Hannity is doing? that anti-Obama right-wing think-tank owned talking head is mounting a full on defense for Zimmerman tying this case to the Black Panthers, Eric Holder, Obama etc. Hannity is blatantly POLITICIZING the case for the right trying to make a martyr of Zimmerman which is why he is getting thank you calls for the man himself.

Trayvon’s parents and their allies were simply calling for a man who was walking FREE for 45 days after killing an unarmed teenager to be arrested and charged. what the right is doing is far more dangerous to Zimmerman’s chances for a fair trial by turning this into a Obama v. Zimmerman meme

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

But the facts are not all out there yet.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

So you mocked the idea that fists can be a deadly weapon?

Dishonest is as dishonest does.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Not too sure why she smiled. Nerves maybe? Not sure. but I dont think you can judge her by a news conference that everyone wanted. I think you have to judge her by the evidence and why she came to the conclusion to charge Zimmerman

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

How many books will she sell next year?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I don’t usually pay attention to the names of posters as much as I attend to their thoughts, but now that I’ve weighed in on this one, Damian, I’ll probably be watching to see if I made a fool of myself. :)

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

But the facts are not all out there yet.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

But we still start with the presumption that Zimmerman is innocent, before we hear any facts. That’s the starting point in evaluating the evidence.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Read his past posts. He believes Zimmerman is guilty.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I have patiently read through all 14 pages of comments. Your statement is exactly the impression that it seems most of the readers and posters are left with at this point.

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

This is appalling.

tdpwells on April 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Lots of mentally ill pukes there.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Perhaps she had a squirrel running around in her pants…..

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The New Black Panthers ARE a part of this whole thing, even if just on the side, because they offered a bounty for Zimmerman. You are aware of that, aren’t you?

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

If Zimmerman committed a crime, he should be convicted, but I am thoroughly disgusted by the irresponsible race-hustlers, politicians, and journalists that have ginned up racial tension for no good reason and have convicted this man in the press and sought to deny him due process. These same people demand that mass murderers like Khalid Sheik-Mohammed get more due process rights than they would afford to their fellow American.

Those that have convicted Zimmerman disgust me.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

And Obama lit the fuse when he pulled that “Trayvon could be my son”, crap but then again, that was his intent. GZ is going to be convicted even if it’s proven that it was truly self defense. Mob rule has already decided that and the prosecutor has to fall in line since the NBP has essentially issued a fatwa on GZ and will probably start burning cities if he were to be acquitted. Rodney King 2.0. He’ll need Atticus Finch as his attorney, but I don’t even think that would help.

TxAnn56 on April 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM
How many books will she sell next year?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

What higher political office does she want and whose votes does she need?

Why did Nifong railroad the Duke lacrosse players? He was running for re-election. He’d been appointed to fill out someone’s term, and wanted the job himself. Guess which voting bloc he was appealing to.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

If I was Mr. Zimmerman I would be requesting a change of venue to somewhere near Pensacola. Perhaps he will be able to get a fair trial up there.

Metanis on April 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Then why not the same for Martin? That he was not guilty of starting the altercation that resulted in his death.

I think it works both ways, just because he is dead does not make him the guilty one.

As I have said before earlier, if Zimmerman chased Martin down, then he was the aggressor. And Martin could of actually been defending himself.

I dont know that, but it is as much of a possibility as the other way of Martin being the aggressor.

The witness saw Martin on top or the struggle, but what if Zimmerman pulled his gun and Martin tried to disarm himself to protect himself?

It’s possible, and noone knows with the information we have right now.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

When the point was that the evidence to date suggested self-defense he simply tried to say that the kid only had skittles. Does that sound like someone who is rational? Do I need to start posting videos of
the game “knock out” that too many of our misguided youth play to show how dangerous a punch can be?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Read his past posts. He believes Zimmerman is guilty.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I’ve not followed him. You have a very good point. People who make contradictory arguments deserve no credibility.

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

The day I detect malice in moose drool is the day I turn in my Okie card and head for the roll call up yonder.

J.E. Dyer on April 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Stop pointing out facts. You will make its head explode.

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Guys its not hard to find. He never made it off the first page.

They should come to your house and kill your entire family for preemptive self defense.

0bamaderangementsyndrom on April 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Don’t ban me for posting this. They asked and its on the same thread for all to see. Okay?

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

lol

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Okay. Still here, not banned. Yet.

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The bounty is wrong. I don’t agree with that at all, nothing more than an attempted hit job.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

How many books will she sell next year?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

More like, what office is she running for next year?

Sekhmet on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

How many books will she sell next year?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yep. How many books came out of the OJ trial? How many TV careers were born?

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Damian would you quit pretending like you don’t think Zimmerman is guilty. You are embarrassing yourself.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM

How many books will she sell next year?

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

More like, what office is she running for next year?

Sekhmet on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Yeh Wethel got that one.

I was projecting a bit. I wish I could retire early.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM

J.E. Dyer on April 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Heh.

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Because Martin is not charged with a crime. Zimmerman is.

And the law is that Zimmerman is presumed to be innocent. The judge will instruct the jury that this is so. It is a fundamental jury charge in all criminal trials.

It does not necessarily mean that Martin is “guilty.” (The character of the victim rarely comes into evidence, by the way.)
It just means when society judges this matter, and will be formally judging it in a trial, Zimmerman has centuries of Anglo-American law saying he starts out innocent.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yep, it’s the Duke LaCrosse Team incident all over again. Another try by the left to incite racial conflict. It’s their bread and butter, now isn’t it.

petefrt on April 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

where are the new Black Panthers relevant except on Fox News? I don’t hear MSNBC or CNN going on and on and on about the neo-nazis down there looking to cause trouble. why give fringe groups the attention and power they are so desperate for?

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Stop pointing out facts. You will make its head explode.

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

That’s what I’m hoping for.

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

“IF” Martin lived, he could of been charged with attacking Zimmerman, he can’t be chanrged because he is dead.

I understand Zimmerman is innocent till proven guilty, I know that. But it does not mean Martin is guilty of starting it either.

Thats my point, and the posts are more in line of Martin is a thug and deserved to die for attacking Zimmerman, but that has yet to be proven.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Haven’t read all the comments, however, my take is, win, lose or draw, there will be riots and at least some labor pains (not real birth) toward the race war that this administration has hoped, and worked very hard to foment.

However, I think they truly chose the wrong hill to die on this time. George Z., is a Hispanic, regardless of how the media chooses to paint him, and if all the Hispanics that were hoping for amnesty, stop and realize for one minute the manner in which an actual Hispanic CITIZEN is being railroaded, it should scare them to death. What hope does an illegal have?

Lastly, I think the 12% of the population that is the most vocal, and has dominated the conversation about race via bullying, may learn the hard way exactly what “stand your ground” laws really mean, if civil unrest is their objective. And that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong…………..

waterytart on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The best part of all this is, popcorn has been found to contain more antioxidants than fruit or vegetables!

Sharke on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Okay. Still here, not banned. Yet.

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Wow another one our trolls freaked out. Just a few more to go.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Because Martin is not charged with a crime. Zimmerman is.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Heh. Martin family atty, Crumb, said a couple of days ago that Zim. should be arrested and made to prove his innocence. Yet, Corey is up there today gushing over the moron. One more reason she made me want to hurl.

Blake on April 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

You have the reading comprehension skills of a turnip. You didn’t see the word “bounty”? I would say that’s pretty freaking relevant. And don’t try to use MSNBC or CNN as examples of journalistic integrity, or your whole argument, as weak as it is, disappears entirely.

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

DBear yeh why give them the attention when you can give fringe groups err I mean Mitt Romney attention.

MSNBC Apologizes To Romney Over KKK Comparison, Says It Was ‘Appalling’ (VIDEO)

Sorry but I ain’t looking to MSNBC for tips on how a news organization should be run.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Did you check out those links I provided?

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yes, I saw them. What about them? You don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. Besides, you’re talking about one thing, and I’m talking about another. I’m talking free market economics and you’re talking government force and market manipulation and intervention. There is no such thing as price fixing and price gouging, no matter what the government says, and no matter how much they try to manipulate it. This is basic economics, dude.

Dante on April 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM

and deserved to die for attacking Zimmerman, but that has yet to be proven.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Really which posts? One more fallacious line after another.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM

waterytart on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’ve been through more race riots than I can count. They tend to kill each other and burn black owned small businesses.

Blake on April 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM

waterytart on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

White hispanic. Get it right .

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM

waterytart on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I don’t think you’re too far off target.

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Are you serious? Fox is the in,y one reporting facts because the NBPP doesn’t fit in with the narrative you are swallowing, champ. Maybe that and the 1 million dollar bounty might get some attention.
You’re not so bright. Stop making an a$$ of yourself. You are clueless about the facts.

RovesChins on April 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Wow another one our trolls freaked out. Just a few more to go.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Yep. KeninCT although I haven’t seen him, might already be gone stealth style. Then there is this DBear race baiter I wouldn’t mind enjoying the breeze of that glorious hammer from. There are a bunch hiding in the weeds. I’ve seen them from time to time. For the most part they are lying in wait.

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

The prosecutor has to prove that Martin didn’t attack Zimmerman, Zimmerman doesn’t have to prove a damn thing.

Presumption of innocent – you are still unclear on the concept.

Rebar on April 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

oh please can you be more sanctimonious?

I am a lawyer. I care about the rule of law. Whether you like it or not, it is because of people like me that your rights are protected.

What did he do? From what I understand, he was contacted by George Zimmerman. Should he not have spoken to him? I guess he could have waited until after the trial and offered him $1 million for his exclusive interview like NBC did to Casey Anthony.

Are you saying that NBC’s Bob Costa shouldn’t have spoken to Jerry Sandusky?

Since when is there something wrong with a journalist or news organisation speaking to someone, who hasn’t been charged or has been charged with a crime? Should they only speak with government sources like Pravda?

The Black Panthers, Eric Holder and Obama tied themselves to this case.

On the party of the NBPP and Obama, they’ve acted stupidly.

The NBPP should be charged under several Florida statutes, if Holder will not prosecute them. I have the statutes, if you would like to read them yourself.

He didn’t have to politicise it. You guys had already done that. Live by the politicisation. Die by the politicisation.

And, if Zimmerman acted in self-defence, he should never have been charged. Period. Story. End of.

Sorry, Princess, but you guys should have thought about that before you lit the racial firebomb with doctored “evidence” and “c00ngate.” Obama should have thought about that before he “acted stupidly” and compared Trayvon to the son he never had assuming that Martin had been killed because he was black.

I buy your whining on this subject about as much as I did when you screamed “MISOGYNIST” about Ms Fluke after being mute for years of Bill Maher, et al, which can best be summed up as:

**eyeroll**

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

If we’re George Zimmerman I would have done one thing before I got arrested/turned myself in…
I would have gone to a tanning salon and stayed there as long as I could without getting skin cancer or  burned. ….just sayin’…

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on April 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Dante on April 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Right after I posted that, I posted again saying “never mind”, that we were just running around in a circle and nothing was being gained. So, once again, it’s time to end this conversation. No winners, no losers. Everybody gets a participation trophy…or something.

Moose Drool on April 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

and deserved to die for attacking Zimmerman, but that has yet to be proven.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Throwing the BS flag. Has anyone said that Martin deserved to die? Anyone?

DrStock on April 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Maybe if Trayvon wasn’t a School Suspension Specialist and his “parents” were keeping watch on their problem child then he might be alive today.

viking01 on April 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Why don’t you go to hell. You are evil…

Chudi on April 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

1200 comments? This guy is the new Palin.

Prediction – it’ll be ruled a good shoot and that entire town will be burned to the ground. Remember St. Rodney King?

CorporatePiggy on April 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Shining the light of truth.

RalphyBoy on April 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yep. KeninCT

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Ken won’t freak out. I don’t think he believes half of what he posts. He is the type that drops a bomb just to watch people respond while he chuckles. He has no creativity even with his snark(patriot and hero are about all he has). I will never understand why people react. He is boring and I will not address him. His type only lives off the excitement of the uproar.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:48

One way of looking at the presumption of innocence is that the defendant’s story is true. Which does imply other versions are wrong. The prosecution must switch this around.

I don’t think I’ve seen many “the thug deserved to die” posts here, but several, “If someone knocks me to the ground and bangs my head against the cement, my life is at risk from a smashed skull, and I can respond to save my life even if the attacker loses his” posts. I agree with the latter version.

Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Why don’t you go to hell. You are evil…

Chudi on April 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

While that comment was uncalled for- you are just as bad if not worse.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

BS! You posted the long screed shown below at 8:37PM to convince us how highly experienced she is and now you say perhaps she was nervous.

Yes, lets trash Angela Corey now:

She was hired by Ed Austin in 1981 during his tenure as State Attorney from 1975 to 1991, and remained an Assistant State Attorney after Harry Shorstein was appointed by Governor Lawton Chiles in 1991.[4] During her 26 years as a prosecutor, she tried several hundred cases, which included 54 homicides

The following day, Shorstein called a news conference and announced that he would retire at the end of his current term and not run for re-election in 2008.[7] In the following election, Shorstein supported his chief assistant, Jay Plotkin. On August 26, 2008, Corey defeated Plotkin with more than 64% of the votes cast.

In 2010, the Florida Times-Union reported that Corey sent 230 juvenile felony cases to adult court in 2009. This amounted to twice the number of juvenile felony cases placed in adult court in the years prior to Corey becoming State Attorney.

The Florida Council on Crime and Delinquency gave her their Criminal Justice Distinguished Award; the Florida Department of Corrections honored her as a Role Model for Women in the Area of Criminal Justice award; the Mayor’s Victim Assistance Advisory Council bestowed the Judicial Victim Advocate Award; and Corey received the Distinguished Service Award from the office where she’s now the boss

Looks like she has done her job.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

You are so full of crap you can’t even remember what you have posted to support your claims.

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

That’s OK. Zimmerman will soon be dead if the Panthers and the mobs they stirred up have any way to get to him. If he goes to jail and is not kept in solitary, he won’t lat a week.

You will get your vengeance. Never fear.

LegendHasIt on April 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I have no sympathy for him. None at all. If you murder a 17 yr old unarmed boy in cold blood…I really won’t give a damn what the hell happens to you. He is a murderer, and he deserves a fate worse than death.

Chudi on April 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen many “the thug deserved to die”
Wethal on April 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Of course you didn’t . Damian is a serial liar.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM

and deserved to die for attacking Zimmerman, but that has yet to be proven.

damian1967 on April 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Throwing the BS flag. Has anyone said that Martin deserved to die? Anyone?

DrStock on April 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Damian it appears more and more are taking note.

CW on April 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM

he deserves a fate worse than death.

Chudi on April 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Like having to read and try to understand your posts?

Paul-Cincy on April 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Yoop on April 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Yoop, there it is! (whereabouts in the UP?)

DrStock on April 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Almost to 1400.

Bitter Clinger on April 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

DBear on April 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

The Sanford Police Department says that it has no evidence of neo-Nazis in the area. “We have not seen any neo-Nazis on patrol nor have we had any reports of them,” says Sgt. David Morgenstern. He added that there had been no sign of the New Black Panther Party, either.

why give fringe groups the attention and power they are so desperate for?

Florida Code 787.01 makes it a felony to “by threat, confining or abducting, or imprisoning another person against his . . . will without lawful authority with intent to . . . terrorize.”

Florida Code 777.04: “A person who solicits another to commit an offense prohibited by law and in the course of such solicitation commands, encourages, hires, or requests another person to engage in specific conduct which would constitute such offense or an attempt to commit such offense commits the offense of criminal solicitation.” It is a felony.

The solicitation and threat to seize Zimmerman may also constitute a crime under Florida Code 876.35. The felony of “combination against part of the people of the state” occurs when someone is unlawfully seized by a mob, or at the behest of a mob.

Florida Code 876.35 defines the crime: “to remove them forcibly out of this state, or to remove them from their habitations to any other part of the state by force, or [when people] shall assemble for that purpose.” Remember, solicitation to commit a crime is in itself a crime.

See, what the NBPP did was not inconsequential.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

What if the unarmed 17-year old is beating you to death by repeatedly slamming your head against a concrete sidewalk?

sentinelrules on April 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

“People should wait to defend or accuse either side till the evidence is heard”

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum! NOT this time-you have all the MSM turning the mugger into an innocent victim. The prosecution holds a political news conference sympathizing with the mugger’s family and charges the suspect the MAX she could possibly charge.The President of the United States gratuitously poisons the minds of all jurors takes racial sides-comparing the mugger to the son he would like to have. NBC deliberately edits a transcript to make an innocent man not only look guilty but a racist to boot-which could add a 30% hate crime surcharge (and get him murdered ) to his sentence.New Black Panthers and even black congressmen (and women) are calling whites “honkys” “white trash” and “murdering cracker scum”. And the GUY WHO KILLED MARTIN ISN’T EVEN WHITE!!! and yet you say “wait until the evidence is heard”-presumably AFTER THE HANGING HAS ALREADY OCCURRED.

I feel sorry for Zimmerman because, although he’s not white, he’s discriminated against as if he were a “honky.”

MaiDee on April 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM

But the tragedy of Trayvon’s death is insufficient of itself to prosecute.

If a father of 3 broke into my flat, attempted to rape me, and I blew him away, it would be a tragedy for his family, but it would not be a crime. It would be self-defence.

You keep saying that Trayvon Martin was unarmed as if that is dispositive in this case. It is not. If the perp above is unarmed, I can still shoot him. If he is armed with a knife, I don’t have to run to the kitchen to retrieve a Henckel to meet “force with equal force.”

Those that have convicted Zimmerman disgust me.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You are the disgusting one…and a VILE racist. A 17 year old boy is freaking dead. What the hell is wrong with you. I guess he doesn’t count because he is black. What the hell does somebody breaking into your house to rape you have to do with a 17 year old kid walking to the store to buy soda, and being killed by a 28 yr old cold blooded murderer.

You are really a disgusting vile human being. You have to manufacture a fictitious rape, to justify murdering a kid in cold blood. You are pure EVIL.

Chudi on April 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM