Pew: Plurality of GOP voters want an end to the primary process

posted at 9:51 am on April 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Is it time to call the game?  According to a new survey from Pew, almost half of all Republicans think the ongoing primaries are hurting the party, while a far larger percentage believe that Mitt Romney has become the inevitable nominee:

Following primary victories in Wisconsin, Maryland and the District of Columbia last Tuesday, Mitt Romney is clearly seen as the inevitable GOP nominee, and Republicans now see continued primaries as bad for the party.

In the latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, conducted April 5-8, 2012, roughly three-quarters (74%) of Republican and Republican-leaning voters say that Romney will definitely be the Republican Party’s nominee this fall. Only 21% believe a candidate other than Romney still has a chance to become the party’s nominee.

And Republicans’ appetite for the ongoing primary campaign has soured. By a 47% to 36% margin, more say it is a bad for the party, not good, that the nomination race has not yet been decided and is still going on. Just a month ago, Republicans were split on this question, and as recently as February a majority thought it was a good thing for the party that the nomination had not yet been finalized.

I suspect that this poll will get a lot of attention today, now that Rick Santorum has returned to the campaign trail, but a few caveats are in order.  The poll sample in this case was 295 self-identifying Republican or GOP-leaning registered voters.  That’s not an especially large sample for a national poll, which is why Pew has a 7% margin of error on the results.  Technically speaking, that puts the “appetite” question on the outer edges of a virtual tie.

Furthermore, Pew doesn’t give any details about the location of these voters — and that might be a wee bit important in determining why they believe that further competition is more harmful than useful at this point.  It obviously doesn’t relate to the conclusions about the likelihood of Romney winning the nomination; nearly three in four say he’s all but wrapped it up, but less than half think it’s time to end the process.  How many of these respondents live in states that have already had their nomination contests, and how many would still like to cast a meaningful vote in the primaries?  I suspect that there would be a wide, wide divergence of polling results between Florida and Pennsylvania, or Michigan and Texas, for instance.  In a sample of less than 300 registered voters nationwide, the location of these respondents makes a bigger difference to the overall results for this kind of question.

The only interesting takeaway from this survey is that a large number of people who believe Romney has all but won the nomination still want to see more debate.  Romney still needs to close the deal with the base, but the numbers will encourage Romney’s competitors to make him keep working for that resolution.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

there was a trayvon martin thread that got lots of bannings. a topic to avoid

gerrym51 on April 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Not surprisingly you didn’t read my comment correctly. Romney will turn his full attention to and will defeat Obama after he defeats the last ABR supported by you bitter clingers who can’t see past the ends of your noses.

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Well lets see if I can do any better with this one. Your assuming I support any of the remaining R candidates. Which for the record I do not. You also wrongly assert that I am a bitter clinger. This is leftist talking points, your comment not mine. As far as your last point I see quite well, thank you. Of course you are much brighter then most, so there’s that. Am I correct in assuming you won’t be supporting 0 this go round?

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Rmoney™ = capitulation.

Now doesn’t that make it all better for you? I say doesn’t that make you feel better?

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

haha. Nice one.

SparkPlug on April 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I’ll wait. P.S. the page changed.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

You’ll still vote for Romney. You’ll just deny it but you don’t want obama. gerrym51 on April 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

They’ll vote for Romney and when he governs like a conservative, they will claim it’s because they kept his feet to the fire.

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I saw Tesla yesterday over on that “homophobes are gay” thread.

I did not bother with that thread. NOT surprised tesla was on it.

lol

gerrym51 on April 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I would vote for a Ham sammich over Barry.

But with Mitt we get a Ham sammich with Grey Poupon so its good enough plus there is fancy mustard too.

SparkPlug on April 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

…agree 100%…EVERYONE should have a say in who the candidate should be. The party establishment and the press propagate that problem.

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

While I agree with the sentiment, I also believe that our votes count for little in this process. Between the MSM and the National and State Committees, our nominee gets selected for us. That was how we ended up with McCain and that is how we will end up with Romney.

I support a primary week or month – there is no real reason to drag this process out for over 6 months.

jackal40 on April 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

gerrym51 on April 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Yeah, I just skimmed… it was pretty much exactly what you’d expect.

thirtyandseven on April 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

You having trouble thinking up one of those great retorts of yours? Makes for a long drawn out conversation.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

This reminds me of that old 60′s show “That Was The Week That Was.”
A forerunner of “Rown and Martin’s Laugh-In,” it did a faux news segment that included a computer projection that Yale would win the annual “Harvard-Yale” football game, so they declared Yale the winner without actually ever playing the game.

J_Crater on April 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM

You’ll still vote for Romney. You’ll just deny it but you don’t want obama.

gerrym51 on April 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I don’t want either one of them, though it’s obvious we’re going to get one of them nonetheless. If I despise both of them and don’t believe either of them is going to seriously bring the hammer down on government spending and out-of-control entitlements, I’m not just going to change my mind and vote for one of them on the grounds that at least he isn’t the other one.

Aitch748 on April 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

,=.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Rmoney™ = capitulation.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

haha. Nice one.

SparkPlug on April 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

The truth is nicer.

Rmoney Vs. Obamuchmoremoney.

FlaMurph on April 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The primaries serve a purpose and they should continue. CLOSED primaries.

I have in the past said I would not vote for Mittens. I have changed my mind. Zero has to go. I would still prefer an actual republican wins the nomination.

dogsoldier on April 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I live in Texas (the second most populous state in the union) and I’m beginning to wonder why we bother even having a primary. By the time we vote the eventual nominee has been coronated and his competitors pushed out of the race.

Reggie1971 on April 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

SANTORUM TO ACCOUNCE WITHDRAWL FROM RACE IN PRESS CONFERENCE 1 MINUTE FROM NOW

steebo77 on April 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Santorum about to hold press conference on Fox. Carl Cameron believes he will suspend his campaign.

midgeorgian on April 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM

**According to Fox, Rick to suspend campaign. News conference coming momentarily**

Buy Danish on April 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM

He’s clearing the way for Newt!

Rusty Allen on April 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Well Basilsbest old boy. I can’t spend all day waiting on you. So I’ll leave the thread with this. You may well have been smart when you were younger, Now you are old and your best days are behind you. Heres a tip. Next time you feel like shooting a shot across someone’s bow. Make sure you spend the time reloading, not waiting for it to strike. I waited a half hour. Out. Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Sorry, I can’t fulfil your expectations. I work. Next time just try to think of something knowledgeable, relevant and logical and you will come close to my reply. And try to remember the difference between then and than. As for my age, punk, it’s better to be a has been than a never wazzer.

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Basilsbest on April 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Funny! I’ll let you know when I reach you’re never wazzer stage Old Man. Thanks for the tip, always looking for grammar tips. Still funny if nothing else. Thanks for schooling my arse. Weak Tea right there.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Or is it your? Funny either way. ; )

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I think this illustrates how seriously flawed the primary election process is. Several states have yet to vote. Given that Willard has all but been declared the presumptive nominee, is there much point in voters in these states actually voting?

I believe a better approach would be having all fifty states hold their contest on the same day (or within one or two weeks of each other). At the very least, it would prevent the party elite and mainstream media from picking our candidates.

eaglescout_1998 on April 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Closed primaries would be great for those who want “True Republicans”
and “True Democrats” (or liberal/conservative) but it would, for better or worse, shut out a lot of unenrolleds–like me. In my state of MA, Unenrolleds are ranked either #1 or #2 in registration. What’s
the percentage of Mass. voters marked down as Republican?

A mighty 11 per cent.
Of course many people can do an Operation Chaos–Dems at heart who
register as unenrolled (or are in states where Dems MAY vote in
GOP primary) and vote for someone who inevitably may lose in Nov.
It’s a tough call.

In 2004 I voted for Honest John Edwards in the primary (took
Dem ballot) and Bush in the final.

It enabled me to vote against John Kerry twice!

raccoonradio on April 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Newsflash: Plurality of GOP voters long for the weekend.

Not really a very scientific question to ask. Of course we’re weary of the process. We just want it to be over so we can beat Obama.

Tennman on April 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

>>having all fifty states hold their contest on the same day (or within one or two weeks of each other). At the very least, it would prevent the party elite and mainstream media from picking our candidates.

Yes or have regionals. Spread out over a month or a month and a half.
NE states, SE, SW, NW etc.

raccoonradio on April 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Run-SARAH-Run! PALIN 2012 – More Than Ever!

Pork-Chop on April 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM