Paul Ryan: A dozen Democrats have told me they support my plan with Ron Wyden to reform Medicare

posted at 4:26 pm on April 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

The left will dismiss Ryan’s claim of bipartisan interest as akin to him saying that all his imaginary liberal friends tell him his plan is super smart, but you don’t have to take Ryan’s word for it. Per an excellent catch by John McCormack at the Weekly Standard, one of Ron Wyden’s own staffers told The Hill a few weeks ago that no fewer than 12 Democratic senators have quietly “expressed interest” in the Ryan/Wyden compromise. And why not? The math is what it is; entitlement reform is coming whether the left wants it or not. Even if they regained their congressional majorities of 2009, what sane Democrat would want their party to bear sole responsibility for reforming Medicare if a fiscal crisis struck? There are probably enough fiscal cons in the GOP to get it through with a little Dem help, so better that they let Republicans take the lead. That way, when the public ends up flipping out over the reforms, it’ll be the Democratic Party that gains politically despite the Blue Dog defections.

“There are a number of Democrats but I don’t want to name their names, because I don’t want to get them in trouble,” he said. “I’ve had 12 come up to me and say, ‘I love what you’re doing with Ron [Wyden],’” he said. As for going public with their support, Ryan said the Democrats told him: “No way, I’ll get killed.”

“I’m not going to out Democrats who I believe are in office, who are favorably disposed to these ideas, for their own sake and for the sake fo getting this consensus realized,” Ryan said at the gathering hosted by Bloomberg View in Manhattan Tuesday morning…

“We hopefully will be in the position to realize this consensus, and include those Erskine Bowles, Ron Wyden, Alice Rivlin Democrats, and bring them into that coalition,” he said…

“Why don’t we stop subsidizing the wealthy, why don’t we stop subsidizing corporations, why don’t we stop corporate welfare?” he asked. “There is an area I think we can get consensus on.”

If Romney wins in November, that clears the way for a few centrist Dems to join Republicans in passing Medicare reform while leaving the rest of the party free to demagogue the measure as a Romney-led wingnut catastrophe, etc. The problem is, once the lefty base has been evicted from the White House, I assume they’ll experience a sense of catalyzing frustration similar to what tea partiers felt circa 2009 — and, like tea partiers, they’ll focus first and foremost on the centrists in their own ranks since they’re still susceptible to their influence. The pressure on centrist Democrats not to defect on entitlement reform for fear of a primary challenge will be enormous, as intense as it could possibly be. And if the left does a crack job of Mediscaring and starts to move public opinion as the bill works its way through Congress, who knows what effect that’ll have on the perfectly lubricated weathervane in the White House?

On the other hand, if Obama wins, that’ll have a complex effect on centrist Democrats. They won’t have to worry quite as much about a disaffected out-of-power lefty base in search-and-destroy mode for apostates, and if a “grand bargain” on entitlements does end up taking shape, it’ll be Obama who takes most of the left’s heat. The question, of course, is whether The One would ever consider making that deal in his “flexible” second term. He got kinda sorta close to a bargain with Boehner last year before getting cold feet, but next time he won’t have to worry about reelection. And if the Senate does turn a bit redder this fall, entitlement reform might be his last chance to add something meaningful to his “legacy” besides taking out Bin Laden. You’d trust a guy who used his first term to drop a new trillion-dollar health-care law on America to clean up Medicare, wouldn’t you?

Here’s Ryan this morning on “Today,” joining the rest of America in feeling weary at O’s “tantrums.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Party over country.

cozmo on April 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Promising. You are correct big trouble. I say name em!

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Name em all the way up to November. Name em over and over. In ads.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

The “tantrum” meme is marvelous.

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Sure. Obama has been chomping at the bit to save America some greenbacks.

Kataklysmic on April 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

You won’t, neither will Rmoney™.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I hope those 12 Dems are sincere and aren’t just pretending to be interested in Ryan’s plan because they fear losing in November. I guess we’ll know after President Romney(and hopefully Vice President Ryan) takes office.

Doughboy on April 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

“… joining the rest of America in feeling weary at O’s “tantrums.”

You can say that again…

“… joining the rest of America in feeling weary at O’s “tantrums.”

Seven Percent Solution on April 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

And this is why he needs to be VP. Let him take the case to the people and make him the president of the Senate.

cpaulus on April 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I want to believe that this is true. I really do.

But I can’t. Only a Republican can be counted upon to enact entitlement reforms, and even then I’d only expect it after the proper groundwork has been laid, so they aren’t twisting in the wind.

You’re right, AP. To throw Mediscare aside is like hacking off a limb to a Democratic strategist. It will never happen.

KingGold on April 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Could this be some Jedi mindtrick on the part of Ryan to have the Dems turn on their own in a shark feeding frenzy?

“OK, who’s been talking to Ryan?”

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Vice President Ryan!

social-justice on April 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

But but but…I saw him push an old person in a wheelchair off a cliff. It was on TV and it was sponsored by democrats so it MUST be true!

CycloneCDB on April 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Every time Obama gives one of his nasty, partisan speechs, the GOP response should be eye-rolling, sighing and “Just another Obama tantrum.”

Remember how effective Reagan’s “there you go again” was against Mondale.

Obama takes himself very seriously. (why else the styrofoam columns, the iPod of speeches to the Queen and now the face on the basketball). Being subtly ridiculed will annoy him and get inside his OODA loop.

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

LOLOLOL. Which democrats? Pat Cadell and Doug Schoen? lol

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

For those agitating for Ryan-as-VP, just two questions.

First, just how much has Joe Biden helped to accomplish as vice president in these last three years? I know he’s a blithering idiot, but still.

Second, who else in Congress is brave enough, smart enough, wise enough, and has enough credibility across the spectrum to pick up the entitlement reform mantle?

KingGold on April 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM

The “tantrum” meme is marvelous.

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It is PERFECT! It is the PERFECT narrative to hang on Baby Barack. More, please.

And watching that interview, I certainly hope Romney is looking very, very closely at Ryan as he goes about picking a VP. Ryan is fantastically telegenic and likable. That snotty little NBC hack Ann Curry was positively smitten with him, and America will be, too, if he gets more exposure.

Rational Thought on April 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

That’s exactly right. He’s an academic. The one thing academics love is being told how smart they are and how serious they are. This is why he can’t handle Ryan. Ryan stands up to him and shows America how bad Obama’s policies are.

cpaulus on April 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I think I’m ready to sign on to Romney/Ryan. If Ryan is the pick, my excitement level will increase.

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

LOLOLOL. Which democrats? Pat Cadell and Doug Schoen? lol

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Mock those two all you want, but they’re some of the only remaining Dems out there who are candid about the insane fiscal agenda of this administration. Whether you like it or not, if Obama somehow wins a 2nd term(God help us), he’ll have to deal with this debt crisis. I know he naively believes he can kick the can past 2016 and let someone else deal with it, but he won’t get away with that strategery.

Doughboy on April 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

LOLOLOL. Which democrats? Pat Cadell and Doug Schoen? lol

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Not having a stroke there, are you?

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

“Bi-partisan? I do not know what you mean by that word.” – Democrats that force-fed us Obamacare.

John the Libertarian on April 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The Medicare reform plan we need: If you’ve paid into Medicare for 15 years or more, nothing changes. If you’ve paid into Medicare for less than 15 years, we give you your money back. Once those grandfathered into Medicare are all gone, Medicare ceases to exist and people are responsible for providing for their own medical care.

Simple.

Shump on April 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Name em all the way up to November. Name em over and over. In ads.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Look, Ryan is smart not to name them. We will need some Dems to cross the aisle in the Senate to get it passed (even if the GOP takes the majority, it’s not getting a filibuster-proof majority). You do have to play politics at some level to get things done.

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

this dozen or so unamed dems run with Nancy’s unamed republican friends

brave brave politicos we have in DC

DanMan on April 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I think he did well. He handled the questions perfectly and he does it all with a boyish smile and good temper. I just love Paul Ryan.

magicbeans on April 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Vice President Paul Ryan . . . rolls right off the tongue. Embrace the Mitt.

jan3 on April 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Simple.

Shump on April 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Quick question.

If “nothing changes” for the 15 years or more crowd, what happens when they get old and there’s nowhere near enough money to pay what they’re owed, because we just essentially defunded the program?

KingGold on April 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Simple.

Shump on April 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Something that big will never get popular support unless you use the Ryan/Widen plan as a bridge to something like that. Moving incrementally has a better chance of gaining popular support.

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

cpaulus on April 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

There’s another reason. Obama’s knowledge of fiscal and budgetary matters is as shallow as he is. Ryan exposed that ignorance to a national television audience during the first year of Baraka’s presidency, when Ryan schooled Barry during that conference. If there is one thing Barry can’t stand more than being shown up, it’s being shown up by an uppity white man who doesn’t know his place.

AZCoyote on April 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Only 12?

SouthernGent on April 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Only 12?

SouthernGent on April 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

In the Senate of today, that’s a rather significant number. Enough to get it past a filibuster.

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

What’s her name (the Today host) is so overrated.

I hear she her contract will not be renewed – Matt Lauer does not like the woman.

Too bad – so sad.

jake-the-goose on April 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You never know you might have a shot at replacing them.

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Quick question.

KingGold on April 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

We fund those who are “owed” their Medicare benefits by slashing the federal budget elsewhere. I’m not talking about the Paul Ryan “ever so slightly slow the rate of growth over 20 years” type “cuts.” I’m talking about real, serious, major cuts to all areas of the federal government.

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I agree that the plan I outlined, or anything that is a drastic step such as that, has little to no chance of ever being enacted. My point was to illustrate the type of solution that I believe we need. And also that I don’t take Paul Ryan seriously. Moving incrementally is one thing. But his plans don’t even take baby steps. They barely crawl. No one who proposes balancing the budget 20 or 30 years from now should be taken seriously by conservatives.

Shump on April 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

So…bring it up for a vote, and see how these Democrat Senators vote. Everybody knows Harry Reid will keep a lid on this during an election year, but if Republicans take the Senate in November, McConnell can always ask these Democrats to put up or shut up…

Steve Z on April 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

First Bionic Blogger: Gentlemen, we can rebuild MUT. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world’s first bionic blogger. She will be that pundit. Better than she was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Mutnodjmet on April 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I really wish the GOP would get Ryan and a couple of others, like West more face time on TV to rebut the 0. I agree with other posters that if they just keep poi ting out how Zero keeps throwing fits and has no plan, it will drive him apoplectic. The country needs to see the 0 have a complete melt down over his childish behavior.

uncommon sense on April 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Steve Z on April 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I’m certain they will. That would ultimately be the point.

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I also know of 12 Republican senators who are SOOOOOO against the Ryan rich givaway/end medicare as we know it plan.

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Name them or shut your hole.

Doughboy on April 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Vice President Paul Ryan . . . rolls right off the tongue. Embrace the Mitt.

jan3 on April 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Lolol. This is why i love coming here when i am having a down day. You guys do put a smile on my face.

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Did you hear that lady interview Ryan…?

… Any cut to government is going to kill children.

That’s the meme, and they are sticking to it…

Seven Percent Solution on April 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Name them or shut your hole.

Doughboy on April 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I will as soon as your medicare coupon plan boy name his.

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

If there really are that many Dems supportive of Ryan’s plan, then we have blessedly reached the end of the Pelosi-Reid catastrophe in Congress. We can only hope.

If (when) Romney wins, he will have much more success if he does everything Obama didn’t do, starting with not treating the opposition like subhuman subjects. The days of “I won” are about to meet the days of “He lost.”

Once the Obama-Reid-Pelosi era is over and done with, I think you’ll see Dems behaving a bit better. Don’t believe me?

How were Republicans during the Bush years? Congressional drubbings and a Tea Party later, they are much better behaved. (Still a long way to go with them, but much better.)

Loyalty to Party and President have been disastrous during the Bush-Obama years.

Hey, Congressional People, this is what you get with an Imperial President. Catastrophe.

EMD on April 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Nervous tic perhaps?

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

YOU know jack$hit……

Barred on April 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Did you hear that lady interview Ryan…?

… Any cut to government is going to kill children.

That’s the meme, and they are sticking to it…

Seven Percent Solution on April 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Which is hilarious. How many children are on Medicare?

Bitter Clinger on April 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Go Paul Ryan! I have mixed emotions about him being VP. I think he would be great on the campaign trail pumping up the base and watching him debate Joe BFD Biden would be priceless. That said, he is really needed where he is in Congress.

And if you haven’t already, you should “like” Paul Ryan on Facebook. His latest photo indicates he’s quite a hunter. The comments are a hoot…many lib heads exploding over his kill. Gotta love it.

Nikkia2112 on April 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Ann Curry asks Ryan about empathy? For the poor?

She has no idea how many people on food stamps truly need food stamps.

Does she have any idea how many, truly poor people will be living in this country when it goes bankrupt and people start rioting, as what happened in Greece?

Not only does she ignore the future implications, but openly promotes keeping people sucking off the government tit.

I can’t stand these people.

Danny on April 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Yeah, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

0bamaderangementsyndrom on April 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Vice president Ryan is brilliant and will make a great president after Romney’s two terms.

1984 in real life on April 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

….your face wears BVD’s?

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

0bamaderangementsyndrom on April 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Odon’tyoujustfindmethewittiestdork!

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Ann Currie: Empathy for the poor = food stamps, welfare, and entitlements that will bankrupt us.

Paul Ryan: Empathy for the poor = jobs, upward mobility, and a functioning society.

LASue on April 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Ok so what is the democrat plan for fixing Medicare?

bbinfl on April 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Courage.

BacaDog on April 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Remember how effective Reagan’s “there you go again” was against Mondale.

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Yes. He’s a sociopathic narcissist, and we must try a lot harder to find his buttons. In one of his crappy books he admits that there is burning rage inside of him that he works hard to suppress.

slickwillie2001 on April 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

As a matter of fact not only where is the democrat plan but why hasn’t Obama sent congress a plan to fix Medicare’s finances as he is required to by law? You want to just rip on repubs about Ryan’s but you know you have a big bag of nothing don’t you Einstein? So if theirs is so bad where is yours? Put up or shut up.

bbinfl on April 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You don’t know 12 of anyone.

Chuck Schick on April 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM

LOLOLOL. Which democrats? Pat Cadell and Doug Schoen? lol

Uppereastside on April 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

SCOAMF

ghostwalker1 on April 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hmmmmmm. I think what’s her name (drawing a blank) on the Today Show rather likes Paul Ryan.

Buy Danish on April 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Yikes

Is Obama back on the nose-candy? He looks terrible and the race hasn’t even started yet.

Chuck Schick on April 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Being subtly ridiculed will annoy him and get inside his OODA loop.

Wethal on April 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Mock him. He will become unhinged.

“Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

kakypat on April 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Mock him. He will become unhinged.

“Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

kakypat on April 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Bill Hemmer on FNC saw Baraka walking with the Easter Bunny yesterday and started saying “look at the size of those ears!” It was awesome. You know he knew what he was doing. He was talking about jugears – but the bunny was on the screen with him. It was magical.

CycloneCDB on April 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Funny to see the liberals getting worried. Love it. Thanks Upper and Obamaderanged .Your posts give me hope. Appreciate it.

CW on April 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Ryan would do well to remember the old Iranian proverb: If you are being fattened by someone, you may soon expect to be slaughtered by him.

Knott Buyinit on April 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Knott Buyinit on April 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Who is Paul Ryan being fattened by?

magicbeans on April 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

CW on April 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I know. It does the soul good. Liberals are afraid because Ryan is the real deal. Loved when the Today host says, “you’re smiling because you know this.” and Ryan says, “I do.” So cute. He’s so cute. And smart.

He’s the best man to defend his plan to save our country from fiscal crisis while Obama comes up with budgets no one will vote for and gimmicks that do nothing to solve our problems. He deceives us with campaigning that may or may not have anything to do with what he actually intends on doing in his “flexible” term. What is it Tim Geitner said, “we don’t have a plan, we just don’t like yours.” I can see where Obamaderanged and uppereastside(that’s a 1% neighborhood, isn’t it?)would panic.

magicbeans on April 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM