Gingrich: I’ve finally got Romney one on one

posted at 9:15 pm on April 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

I can’t find the clip online but, via Fox Insider, he actually told Huckabee this afternoon, “[T]here may be a debate [...] between Romney and me.” Delusional and desperate for attention: When exactly did Newt turn into Mirlande Wilson?

It’s time for an intervention. We need the one person he respects above all others to go pat him on the back, congratulate him on his indefatigability, and tell him that it’s time for the lion in winter to retreat to his lair. How about it, Mr. Toffler?

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich was just on the Mike Huckabee Radio show, and commented on Santorum suspending his own presidential campaign just moments ago. On the show, Gingrich discussed finally getting to be ’1-on-1′ with Romney, how he will campaign going forward, and a possible debate in North Carolina with the current front-runner…

“I am not focused on going after Romney; I want to focus on the issues and Barack Obama. I will admit it was a slugging match in Florida; people who like me don’t want me down in the gutter. We will see what Governor Romney decides. I am going to focus on the Republican platform and why Obama is a grave threat to this country.”

“Our folks are making calls to undecideds and those for Rick [Santorum]; we have been talking to someone in North Carolina, and there may be a debate [...] between Romney and me. I would like to have an open dialogue – just the two of us, a chat.”

He told Hannity later this afternoon that Bubba Watson wasn’t leading at the start of the last day of the Masters either, but hey. Any Newt fans want to hazard a theory of why Romney would ever, ever, ever agree to another primary debate now that his chief competitor just dropped out and he’s finally free to turn his attention to Obama? Newt’s now reached the check-bouncing stage of his campaign; so desperate for cash is he that the “home” link on his campaign website redirects repeatedly to the donations page. Why embarrass himself by even suggesting that Romney might agree to it?

For your evening viewing pleasure, here’s Santorum’s spokesman on “Hardball” today dancing around the campaign’s obvious disdain for Romney. Damning-with-faint-praise exit quotation about Mitt: “He’s more conservative than Barack Obama, and that’s what we’re all going to have to come to grips with.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Has anyone done the math on what it looks like should Santorum get behind Gingrich?

race42012 has a post about reporter embeds in both santorum and romney campaigns saying Rick will endorse MITT next week.

I’m not saying this race42012 is

gerrym51 on April 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Dear Rick Santorum:

I kept my piehole shut yesterday here at Hot Air out of respect for your correct if belated decision to drop out of the race, and for your family’s obvious concern for the health of your daughter. Today, however, is a new day.

It is time for you to shut your pie hole, and for your people to do so as well. I thought your speech was far from being gracious; like most of your campaign it was rambling, threadbare, self-righteous, and narcissistic. While no one expected you to endorse Romney immediately, your failure to even mention his name, or congratulate him, was obvious sour grapes. I expected you to drop out after PA, win or lose; the internals must have been so bad that it made more sense to go now. I know your daughter is not well, but it appears to me that you used her as an excuse to quit without looking like you were afraid of a PA trouncing. Others who suggested as much yesterday were pilloried by your supporters; I don’t know why the suggestion was so shocking, as this is not the first time you’ve used your daughter as an excuse for your actions. As one poster at Hot Air asked, would you be leaving the campaign at this time for family reasons if your and Romney’s delegate totals were reversed?

I had hoped you would stay quiet for a few days, then endorse Romney and move on. Instead, it looks like your are planning for Romney’s defeat, and your next run in 2016. The ink is not even dry on the speech in which you patted yourself on the back for never having gone into the gutter (a veiled slap at Romney, of course, as well as a lie), and your aides are out saying things like this:

“I don’t know” if Romney is a true conservative, noting “he hasn’t” yet won the nomination.

Hot Air readers please note: the aide, Hogan Gidley, said this on Chris Matthew’s Hardball.

I had hoped, yesterday, that we had seen the last of you, at least for a couple of years. I was even inclined to think well of you. Looks like I was wrong. So if you are going to stick around, and meddle in this election in the wrong way, sowing discord, undercutting Romney, and preparing for your 2016 campaign, be warned. Some of us ABO’s are watching you, and if Romney loses, we are going to make sure you get a good portion of the blame. So do yourself a favor – live up to the nice things people said about you yesterday, cut the sh*t, and stop f*cking around.

Mr. Arkadin on April 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Gingrich will win the conservative states left.

Texas will be one example

social-justice on April 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

You think Texas will vote for that crazy moon colony guy over a war veteran from Texas? Ron Paul will win Texas!

steve123 on April 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The Onion weighs in.

Buy Danish on April 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The same Newt bouncing campaign checks?

hanzblinx on April 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

The three Republican candidates left in a nutshell: Romney isn’t conservative, Gingrich isn’t viable, and Paul isn’t sane.

steve123 on April 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

LOL.

Vanilla Salt on April 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

“I got ‘im right where I want ‘im!”

Akzed on April 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Please support Ron Paul, he tried to warn us all about the harm Freddie Mac was doing to our economy while Newt was helping them get away with it. Ron Paul is the better man.

FloatingRock on April 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The time to concede and endorse Romney is when Romney has the number of delegates to cinch the nomination. Any bets on whether Paul will do it? I doubt it.

KW64 on April 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You fail to recognize that Santorum ran a campaign that authentically represented his beliefs. It’s called integrity.

DanaLynn on April 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Newt, your Ego precedes you.

Why doesn’t Ron Paul get to talk about how insignificant Iran is?

kirkill on April 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM

…… if belated decision to drop out of the race, and for your family’s obvious concern for the health of your daughter.

…..I know your daughter is not well, but it appears to me that you used her as an excuse to quit without looking like you were afraid of a PA trouncing

…. as this is not the first time you’ve used your daughter as an excuse for your actions. …..

I kept my piehole shut yesterday here at Hot Air

Mr. Arkadin on April 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

You’d have been better off taking the advise of the last of your quotes and followed suit again today. You sound EXACTLY like that which you accuse Santorum of doing. Why did you think that sounding self~righteous and sanctimonious would make you seem more intellectually superior?

DevilsPrinciple on April 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Wow, this is sad. Talk about going down in flames. The door will be locked when he shows up in Tampa.

rubberneck on April 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Mr. Arkadin on April 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

What a buffoonish thing to say. You would think well of us if we threw our ideologies to the wind? I know the man you worship has no convictions, but to have none yourself and then argue about us keeping ours?

astonerii on April 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, that would be awesome

OrthodoxJew on April 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

See that? We CAN agree on something!

I’m not happy sharing this after we met half way on an issue, but this issue seems important to me:

Romney judicial record: Liberals running wild

When GOP candidate had chance to influence bench, he appointed leftists

DannoJyd on April 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM

If Newt owes you money, expect a debate…

rubberneck on April 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Newt lost.

ghostwriter on April 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Sketchy has enough delegates? When did that happen? /s

Bank on it buddy!

FlaMurph on April 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM

YOU bank on it. RonMe will get NONE of my money or support.

Liberals are so easy to tool.

DannoJyd on April 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

DevilsPrinciple on April 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

How do you know what I am thinking when I write? And why do you think my point of writing was to sound “intellectually superior”. I would not have written a thing had Santorum’s aids not gone out and trashed Romney before the ink was dry on his “suspension speech”. Undercutting the current frontrunner in order to set yourself up for a run in 2016 is disgusting. You have a complaint, take it to your guy. Or do you agree with his tactics?

BTW, did you follow the link in my post? It links to an article, written some time before Santorum bugged out, that shows, among other hypocricies and failures of principle, Santorum using his disabled daughter as an excuse for his less-than-charitable giving, despite the fact that his giving was less-than-charitable long before she was born.

astonerii on April 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Who says I worship Romney? How do you know I have no convictions? Who asked you to “throw your ideology to the winds”? I was addressing Rick Santorum, not his supporters, whom I have always given credit for their convictions. I do not, however, think that your candidate was worthy of your support. Patting yourself on the back for not “going into the gutter” and then sending your aids out to trash the guy you just lost to is disgusting. Why can’t Santorum go out with a little class?

If Romney loses this race, and Santorum is in any way responsible, he will be held to account.

Mr. Arkadin on April 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Here’s an idea. Instead of Newt exiting the stage, why doesn’t he stay in as long as he can and tell the establishment goons who spent vast amounts of money smearing him to go straight to hell.

Yeah I like that idea.

Reggie1971 on April 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yeah I like that idea.

Reggie1971 on April 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Dittoes

DannoJyd on April 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

One of these days you all are going to figure out that Newt just cares about Newt.

Snake307 on April 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

lol

rubberneck on April 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

He’s still bouncing checks. Apparently he hasn’t learned anything about personal responsibility in the last twenty years of “serving the public”.

No Newt is good Newt.

Snake307 on April 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Gingrich: I’ve finally got Romney one on one

LOL! The equivalent of a mouse triumphantly announcing that he finally gets an unfettered crack at a lion.

MaiDee on April 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Newt Gingrich’s check bounced.

LOL!!!

Gunlock Bill on April 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Too bad the Romney campaign burned so many bridges

Too bad Newt couldnt cut his losses and work with Santorum to get the one, last debate, but then it would have been Santorum on camera

Even FDR worked with Stalin to fight WWII

Santorum had the momentum, and Newt could have boosted it. Instead, Newt will look diminished, although Romney will not gain stature. Meanwhile. Paul can take it to the bank, he got what he wanted by working as Romney’s pug

IMHO Paul doesn’t care who wins, he hates them all and expects America to crash unless it follows his manifesto. In that he has more in common with Obama than the GOP, but the GOP has never been his party

Pride goeth before the fall, but a crowbar works best for kneecapping

entagor on April 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Mr. Arkadin on April 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Well Said, Sir!

I am so fed up with the ‘Santorum is a True Conservative’ meme, no he is not and he his True Colors are showing.

Nothing in his record shows as a True Conservative. NOTHING. And, the video of him denouncing the Tea Party and proclaiming the need to stop the progress of this grass roots movement marked Santorum as the true inside the beltway lobbyist.

Yes, not conservative; and, yes he is a LOBBYIST. And, he duped the Tea Party Activists with the say anything to get elected just like the typical inside the beltway politician. Yes, he is an insider.

uhangtight on April 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Yeah I like that idea.

Reggie1971 on April 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yeah I like that idea.

Reggie1971 on April 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Dittoes

DannoJyd on April 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I agree. Newt needs to hoist the establishment on their own pitard, and keep waving that conservative flag in their faces.

The republican establishment machine/media is in the process of destroying the party. Dummies. They think the conservatives and tea party folks are going to go along because it’s time to coalesce. LOL. They push McCain Part Two on us when this was the perfect time for a real conservative nominee to crush Obama.

IndeCon on April 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

IndeCon on April 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

At least McCain was a military guy. Romney doesn’t even have that going for him. 2012 will make 2008 look like a nail biter.

angryed on April 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

IndeCon on April 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Newt’s looking for donations. Why don’t you put your money where you mouth is.

rubberneck on April 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I am picturing Newt on the convention floor stage…..It’s 12:30 a.m……A lone janitor is seeping up confetti. He looks up on stage and clears his throat to get Newt’s attention. ” Um sir, they turned off the sound system a couple of hours ago and everyone has gone home Mr Gingich, I have to lock up now.”…Newt is only embarassing himself at this point. Newt, people gave you a good look. Heck you were the front runner for a while. But the more they looked, the less they liked Newt.

Minnfidel on April 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The only state Newt will be win is denial.

Minnfidel on April 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Sure enough right after Santorum leaves the race Newt get’s a bounce……Well it was a bounced check.

Minnfidel on April 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Minnfidel on April 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

♪Bounced, bounced check♪
♫Shake our heads, say “what the heck”♫
♪We’re moving on, gonna leave him in the past♪
♪Bounced, bounced check♪
♫Mister Gingrich why don’t you get♫
♪Wave goodbye and just like that♪
♫We’ll be moving on, so long!♫

(With apologies to Stacie Orricio)

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM