Breaking: Santorum to suspend campaign; Update: No endorsement; Update: Romney congratulates Santorum

posted at 2:05 pm on April 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Rumors flying on Twitter appear to have been confirmed on Fox News and CBS, among other outlets — at least for the moment.  Just minutes ahead of a scheduled press conference in Gettysburg, PA, Rick Santorum has apparently decided to suspend his campaign.  Fox’s Carl Cameron reported it live on air shortly before 2 pm ET, but no reports are yet on the wires.  Politico reporter Reid Epstein says he has confirmation from PA GOP chair Rob Gleason.

Stand by for updates.  The live feed for the presser can be found here.

Update: CNN is now reporting it here, based on word from “a senior adviser to the campaign.” Fox has the headline on its site.

Update II: BuzzFeed has more here, and reports that Romney was informed of the decision some time this morning.  I noted earlier this afternoon that the e-mails from the Romney campaign today had focused attacks solely on Barack Obama, and wondered whether that was a signal.

Update III: The Boss Emeritus tweets that Santorum made everyone else pick up their game, and that’s absolutely true.  I’m disappointed that Santorum couldn’t compete better, but glad that the debate continued and that Santorum made Mitt Romney work for the nomination.  Rick Klein of ABC tweets that Santorum won 10 states — and that anyone who would have guessed that he could have won more than two is lying.

Update IV: Santorum starts off the presser assuring everyone that their prayers for Bella were very much appreciated and felt, and that she’s doing better.  However, that episode, Santorum says, prompted the family to reassess the status of the campaign and their goals as a family.  He’s talking about the campaign in the past tense, though, which makes the announcement pretty clear.

Update V: A nice touch: “It turns out that it really wasn’t my voice that I was out communicating with. It was your voice.”

Update VI: Santorum says the race is over for him, and stated clearly that he is suspending the campaign — but that he will continue to fight for his values.

Update VII: A good, emotional, and positive speech — but no endorsement for Mitt Romney, and indeed not even a mention of him.  Santorum did say that Republicans have to focus on beating Barack Obama, but that was as close as he got.  A reporter shouted out a question as Santorum left the stage about whether he will endorse Romney, but Santorum just wished the reporter well and thanked the room again.  Perhaps, though, it would be reasonable for everyone to give Santorum a little space on the endorsement question.

Update VIII: Mitt Romney’s team sent out a statement by e-mail at almost the moment the presser finished, congratulating Santorum on his campaign:

“Senator Santorum is an able and worthy competitor, and I congratulate him on the campaign he ran. He has proven himself to be an important voice in our party and in the nation.  We both recognize that what is most important is putting the failures of the last three years behind us and setting America back on the path to prosperity.”

Update IX (Tina): The Right Scoop has full video of Santorum’s lovely, gracious concession speech. My utmost respect to Rick Santorum for conducting such an honorable campaign from start to finish:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13

Spare me the drama.

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Drama? Since when is asking for proof drama, sunshine? If you won’t prove it, you must have made it up. Check. got it. No drama.

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Nah…it’s still 35.

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

LOL – they are having a bit of a meltdown in the “If only she had run thread”

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM

No drama.

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Here you go, Sport. Parse this all night:

“If you’re going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch-A-Sketch candidate of the future.”

- The Honorable Campaigner Rick Santorum

LOL – they are having a bit of a meltdown in the “If only she had run thread”

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I don’t have the stomach for that thread.

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I don’t have the stomach for that thread.

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

It is a tragic one. The HA35 are in full denial at this point.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Here you go, Sport. Parse this all night:

– The Honorable Campaigner Rick Santorum

This is really weak gruel. You can parse it if you like, and if that’s all that you have. I’m not playing. I was just wondering if you actually had something substantive, and it doesn’t look like it. What Santorum did in Michigan was a cheap shot; this quote is a fair argument against Romney.

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Defend this sport

you think this wouldn’t have come creeping out of the woodwork if he had gotten the nomination

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Ms. Korbe wrote:

“My utmost respect to Rick Santorum for conducting such an honorable campaign from start to finish.”

Which raises the question: What would it take for Ms. Korbe to label a campaign “dishonorable”? Mass murder? Cannibalism? Endorsing big-government solutions? Oh, wait . . .

Splashman on April 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Defend this sport

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Ummm…. How about liberals are race-baiting know-nothings? It seems like a pretty simple explanation to me. I’m a little surprised that a conservative would trot out that kind of a calumny.

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Just tell me what words begin with nig that he meant to say.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Just tell me what words begin with nig that he meant to say.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

negate?

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Just tell me what words begin with nig that he meant to say.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Please. Why don’t you tell me how that word made any sense in the context of the sentence, because as far as I can see, it only makes sense with a libtard decoder ring. I’m no fan of Santorum, but that’s probably the stupidest attack against him, in a sea of stupid attacks coming from the left.

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Bmore on April 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Doesn’t fit in the context of the sentence he was saying. negate is pronounced nah gate or nee gate not nih gate.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

If you say so. But the subsequent meltdown on Cavuto and the 2,000 comment threads here that followed his idiotic statement would seem to suggest that it wasn’t just nothing.

Let’s just say I’m not the only one who found Santorum spinning out of control that day.

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM

It is a tragic one.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I can well imagine. The Governor really riles the boys up.

Jaibones on April 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM

RUSH: I will just say this: If the Republican establishment is not careful, they are going to destroy themselves in the process of this campaign. If they screw this up… We’ve never had a better chance to win than this. If they screw this up, folks…

IMHO, they already have, and the support for Santorum proves my point.

DannoJyd on April 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I don’t think that they’ve blown it, just yet. We till have a very good shot.

ghostwriter on April 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Time for a new party. This one stinks of liberals.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Time for a new party. This one stinks of liberals.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

It’s long past time for a new party, but there’s no support for it among most rightwingers. They still think they can reform the decrepit monolith that is the GOP, and not even the unmitigated disaster that’s brewing for 2012 has changed people’s minds.

MelonCollie on April 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I hear people say they will not vote Romney, so they will not vote at all. To all of you– is four more years of obama really a better plan?

If we can’t have someone that will save America – which was, frankly, nobody running this election in truth – then revenge against the supporters of the second least attractive person in this race will have to suffice.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM

MelonCollie on April 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

After Willard looses there will be a split.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

After Willard looses there will be a split.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

There’d godd@mned better be, if there’s any number of conservatives left with two brain cells to rub together.

But the problem is that 2016 will probably be too late to save America if we lose in Congress as well as the White House. A hard-left controlled Congress will either make Romney dance like a string puppet or rubber-stamp Obama’s every whim.

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

The bad blood will go away eventually

Zybalto on April 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Like hell it will.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

You are correct.

Fortunately the founders had the foresight to provide us with options for dealing with such situations.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Time for a new party. This one stinks of liberals.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Permanent minority status in 3…. 2….

It’s a good thing it won’t happen.

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

GOP becomes conservative in 3…. 2….

It’s a good thing it won’t happen.

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

FTFY. Pathetic little fool.

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

FTFY. Pathetic little fool.

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Am I not allowed in your new party?

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Not voting for Romney in general election IS aiding and abetting a socialist.

gerrym51 on April 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Then don’t make people pick between two socialists.

In fact… continuing that line of reasoning to it’s perfectly logical conclusion… staying home in November, and getting as many people as possible to do the same is the only way to NOT vote for a socialist.

This will be acted upon to the best of my ability.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Am I not allowed in your new party?

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The membership form, question A, section 1 reads: Did you ever wrap your wretched puerile sneering mouth around Willard Fillmoure Romneycare’s knob, either metaphorically or literally?

If answer = yes, then no, you can not be a part of the new party. You can rot in hell along with the liberals, which you are ideologically separated by… virtually nothing actually.

I’d call you pond-scum, but I don’t think a dissolved tampon floating and frothing up a murky pool deserves to be maligned that much by the comparison.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Wow, you put some effort into that. That’s not lost on me and truth be told, I appreciate it.

Now on to what can laughingly be called your “point”. I didn’t vote for Romney in the primaries but since he’s going to be the Republican nominee and that makes him the most viable alternative to another four years of Barack Obama, I’m voting for him in November and I’ll defend him if he’s attacked. If that means I have “wrapped my wretched puerile sneering mouth” then all the rest of what you said, I’m guilty as charged. If I’m guilty and everyone else like me is as well then I have some doubts about your new party as a viable national organization. But if I’m wrong and you pull it off and get someone from your new organization elected in 2016 then I’ll owe you a Coke. How does that sound?

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I really hope you’re right and that Romney will be as tough on the Marxist Chicago thug in the white house as he’s been on his fellow Republicans. The survival of our republic depends on it. I’m concerned that all the negativity has left the GOP rather fractured – and now Romney needs to take steps to bring it together. There are many conservatives who still don’t trust him and we can’t afford to have anybody sitting at home in November.

TarheelBen on April 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Let’s get this strait now – NOTHING Mitt could do, could make things right. He’s a liar.

Even if he appointed a conservative VP, then promised to shoot himself in the face after being sworn in, I’d still stay home out of pure spite…

…And considering he’s a lying un-trustworthy weasel, I’d not trust him to hold the bargain, even if Satan himself signed the contract in the blood of Willard’s firstborn.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Make it a Coors.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Here are a few more see if any of these might work.

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Or maybe these.

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Or if your absolutely convinced it had an i as the second letter. These.

Bmore on April 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Obama Wins 2012 Re-Election
April 10, 2012
By Bob Ellis

You can mark April 10, 2012 as the day Barack Obama won his second term as president of the United States. For all intents and purposes, we might as well inaugurate Obama for another four years tomorrow and get it over with.

Why?

Because instead of supporting a Republican candidate who exemplified Republican values, the liberal GOP establishment shoved a pathetic excuse for a Republican down our throats and insisted we like it.

As you have probably heard by now, Rick Santorum, the last reliably conservative candidate, “suspended” his campaign today. That really only leaves Newt Gingrich (too many Republicans have too many doubts about his wishy-washy record for him to have a chance, and his recent apparent attempts to suck up to Romney won’t play well with conservatives, either) and Ron Paul (whose pro-drug, anti-Israel, head-in-the-sand foreign policy isn’t going to sell to many real Republicans)…which means, Mitt “RomneyCare” Romney has wrapped up the GOP nomination.

Which means Barack Obama is a shoe-in for re-election. Thanks, RINOs.

Now before you say I’m being defeatist, let me head you off at the pass and correct any such “Barbara Streisand” right away.

Sadly, it was too many Republicans being defeatist that has led to this impending Barack Obama victory. Instead of believing in our values and in our party, too many on the Right have believed the liberal narrative, adopted a defeatist attitude and taken the easy route…which will bite us like it always does.

First, it was the RINO GOP establishment who is either so infatuated with liberalism that they insist on hijacking the Republican Party and making it the “Democrat-Lite Party,” or is so afraid that a real Republican with authentic conservative values can’t win (read: DEFEATIST), that they have shoved a liberal-with-an-”R”-after-his-name down the throats of rank and file Republicans. If Joe Scarborough is to be believed, regardless of which of these two possibilities is the case, either way, the GOP establishment has led with the defeatist attitude.

Second, it was too many rank and file Republicans adopting a defeatist attitude for believing the bilge being peddled by the “mainstream” media and RINO GOP establishment that “Romney is the only one who can win.” Instead of continuing forward with the wind in our sails generated by the 2009 rise of the Tea Party movement and the historic 2010 congressional shift…Republicans wimped out. Many were soooo afraid that a real Republican couldn’t defeat an ultra-Leftist like Obama, they sold out to the smack being peddled by the liberals and supported a pale imitation of Obama who has supported some of Obama’s most destructive policies (government health care, counterfeit marriage, abortion, and cap and trade nonsense).

I believed all along that a solid Republican could win, but too many Republicans let the “mainstream” media tell them what to think as they launched their scorched-earth campaigns of propaganda against the best Republican candidates. Though Santorum was not the best Republican candidate, he was better than what has been left the last three months, and still would have been able to handily defeat a Leftist like Obama. Even with Santorum’s imperfect record, the contrast between Santorum and the Marxist-in-Chief would have presented a clear and easy choice for most Americans; unfortunately, now Americans will be left with a choice between liberalism and liberalism-lite (when given a choice between a cheap knock-off and the genuine article, most people go with the genuine article a la 1996 and 2008).

If Newt Gingrich would have dropped out or joined forces with Santorum, they could have easily turned this race around and defeated Romney. For most of the GOP campaign so far, Romney has never been able to score support higher than 30-something percent, and that has been very tepid support.

As for me, for the first time in my life, it looks like I won’t be voting “Republican” for a presidential candidate this year. I darned sure won’t be voting for an anti-American Marxist like Barack Obama, but let’s face it: the RINO establishment has made sure I have no Republican candidate to vote for. I know Mitt Romney has an “R” after his name and calls himself a Republican, but I cannot in good conscience or honesty (and without losing my lunch) call a pro-homosexual, pro-abortion, pro-government health care, pro-cap and trade liberal a “Republican.” As tarnished as the Republican brand is, I just can’t suspend reality far enough to call such a liberal candidate a “Republican.” So it looks like I’ll be voting Constitution Party or something like that.

Oh, I know all the arguments (“You’ll be throwing away your vote” or “You’ll be indirectly supporting Obama”); I’ve used them myself. After all, unlike some of my Republican friends who had more loyalty to their principles than I did, I held my nose in 1996 and 2008 and voted for a RINO, the “lesser of two evils.” I simply can’t do it again.

Why not? Three reasons, basically.

(1) As bad as Bob Dole and John McCain were, they weren’t nearly as bad as Mitt Romney. Both Dole and McCain had supported some liberal policies, and both had been weak in defending Republican values…but they weren’t nearly as bad as Romney. Romney has affirmatively pushed liberal policies like government health care schemes that trample freedom, counterfeit marriage that undermines family and the sanctity of marriage, abortion that destroys innocent human life, and believes in the hoax of anthropogenic global warming along with the cap-and-trade schemes that always come with such fantasies. Romney hasn’t just paid them lip service, he’s actively backed them and engineered their implementation.

(2) I’ve had it up to my eyebrows with being pushed around by the RINO establishment of the Republican Party. For many years now, they’ve pushed worthless liberal candidates on us and expected rank and file Republicans to just suck it up. They’ve arrogantly pushed “the lesser of two evils” on their base, and expected us to play along. I’ve had enough of being taken for granted. I’ve had enough being used. I’ve had enough being a tool for a bunch of liberals who demean and devalue the once-proud brand known as “Republican.” I had hoped they would learn their lesson after 1996; they didn’t. I had hoped they would learn after the humiliating defeat of 2008; they didn’t. I had hoped that the power of the Tea Party movement would teach them an affirmative lesson; it didn’t. I can no longer reward their haughty belligerence by going along with them. Apparently, it will take an absolutely crushing and shameful loss on the national stage before there can be any hope of these Republican liberals learning their lesson. It may take a brutal short-term loss to achieve long-term gain, i.e. a return of the Republican Party to Republican values. Regardless, I’m done carrying the water for people who hold my and my party’s values in contempt. I’m done taking up the slack for a group of people who make extremely bad decisions while expecting me and others like me to make their bad decisions workable.

(3) Romney can’t win anyway. As 1996 and 2008 illustrated, these worthless faux Republican candidates can’t win. Liberals are always going to support the Democrat candidate; liberals have no real principles to begin with, so no matter how much or how little liberal the candidate is, if he’s a Democrat, they’ll vote for him. Independents? As I said, when given a choice between a cheap knock-off and the genuine article, people who are ideologically confused or unmoored and often uninformed to begin with are always going to go with the genuine article. Republicans? As I’ve already pointed out, too few of them could ignore their principles in 1996 and 2008 to help a RINO win; with Romney being the worst yet of those RINO candidates, fewer still (like me) are going to be able to stomach once again playing the tool for the GOP fatcats. The only “snowball’s chance in Hell” Romney has of pulling off a win is if the American people are so utterly fed up with Obama’s liberalism, they’ll support a lesser liberal simply to get rid of Obama. But when you consider that the “mainstream” media will without a doubt (a) pull out all the stops (they’ve held back so far, to help him secure the nomination) to demonize Romney and expose the hypocrisy of his liberal record (and Republicans won’t be able to defend him, because they hypocrisy is true), and (b) stop and nothing to whitewash and rehabilitate Barack Obama’s image; they will pound the drums for Obama and against Romney nonstop like a broadcast of Hanoi Hannah pumped unrelentingly into the Hanoi Hilton. Any outrage that has built over Barack Obama’s record will almost certainly be buried under the media barrage and apathy over the Republican nominee.

(3a) Could a VP pick help Romney’s anemic chances? Not likely. When John McCain picked Sarah Palin in 2008, he helped make sure that his loss to Barack Obama wouldn’t be utterly humiliating, but with a candidate as determined to lose as McCain was, there was only so much she could do. Marco Rubio’s name has been kicked about, and while he was Tea Party-backed in 2010 and has shown a lot of promise, his recent amnesty for illegals plans will throw a lot of cold water on conservatives (as well as open him up to the same hypocrisy charges as the #1 name on the GOP ticket). Chris Christie is another name that keeps coming up, and while he has many good qualities, some of his more liberal tendencies like his faith in the religion of anthropogenic global warming will also chill conservatives toward supporting him on an already-poisonous ticket. The only name that might get me to think twice (but still reject the idea, in the end) would be Florida Congressman Allen West. West is one of the few Republicans in Washington who gets it, and not only gets it but has the guts to give it back at the liberals with gusto. I’d support West for the #1 slot in a heartbeat, but for the #2…just not enough bang for the buck to convince me to surrender my principles yet again.

Sadly, the only hope patriots now have to preserve the American way of life is to concentrate on putting congress in Republican hands–and not just “Republicans,” but REPUBLICANS who believe in the values of their own party and who are committed to the principles upon which America was founded.

Practically, a Republican congress with strong belief in the principles of freedom and limited government that made our nation great will be needed to keep Barack Obama in check for the next four years. Even if Republicans control the legislative agenda, Obama and his “mainstream” media mouthpieces will rail and demonize a Republican congress, hoping to intimidate them into giving him what he demands. Republicans with fortitude and guts will be needed to stand against the Obamessiah. Obama will also undoubtedly try to “legislate from the Oval Office” if Republicans control congress, producing a blizzard of Executive Orders to unconstitutionally accomplish what he cannot get done through congress. Republicans with backbone will be needed to legislatively corral, curtail and shut down Obama’s Executive Order assault on America with legislation which targets his attempts and kills his executive orders and regulations with surgical strikes.

Legislatively, we must not only be able to hold the line against the advance of liberalism as we have been (mostly) able to do since 2010, but be able to push back, repeal, and undo the legislative damage done to our great nation. First and foremost must be the repeal of ObamaCare (if the Supreme Court has not already killed it), then we need veto-proof majorities to undo regulatory nightmares such as financial “reform,” as well as wasteful programs like stimulus and TARP. We must de-fang if not completely eliminate agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Labor Relations Board, and other arms of the government which are nothing but vehicles for Marxism and the targeting of American liberties. Also, if Romney were to manage to pull off a miracle victory, a congress with convictions grounded in American principles will be needed to keep him in check.

So although I know you Leftists out there are undoubtedly rejoicing that your Obamessiah will get to go up against a RINO and rip him to shreds for his very real hypocrisy, all is not lost. Unlike liberals, we don’t look for government to rescue us from unpleasant circumstances; we get busy making the best of the situation, with an eye to a better day. You may control the White House for another four years, but if Republicans get busy and do it right, we can box your messiah in and render him nothing more than an impotent squatter in the White House until 2016.

Since I’m an optimist at heart, and because I still believe in what has always been best about this marvelous country, I bet we can do it, too!

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

“If we must have an enemy at the head of Government, let it be one whom we can oppose, and for whom we are not responsible, who will not involve our party in the disgrace of his foolish and bad measures.” - Alexander Hamilton

Well spoken sir. Well spoken.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

This will work out well for Willard.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Make it a Coors.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Deal!

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Then don’t make people pick between two socialists.

This will be acted upon to the best of my ability.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Amen. There is no way that I can vote for either Obama or Obama Jr. (Romney). If the Libertarians go for Haley Barbour, then I won’t be able to vote for them either. I may just write-in Santorum’s name, or maybe Perry’s.

Theophile on April 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

The comments are not being kind. I will collect tomorrow.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Then don’t make people pick between two socialists.

This will be acted upon to the best of my ability.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

So, the Republican primary voters that have given Romney the plurality of their votes should be disregarded. Romney as a successful businessman with a huge progeny (that he probably wants to have the same opportunities he had) will not do any better than Obama on reducing the national debt or balancing the budget.

Obama has borrowed more in 3 years than Bush did in 8. His biggest idea to balance the budget will pay for a half day’s spending. If Obama is re-elected, by the time he finishes his second term the National debt will be about $70,000 per American or $140,000 per taxpayer and you don’t want to vote for Romney because

I know Mitt Romney has an “R” after his name and calls himself a Republican, but I cannot in good conscience or honesty (and without losing my lunch) call a pro-homosexual, pro-abortion, pro-government health care, pro-cap and trade liberal a “Republican.” SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You might want to look at the projections for the National Debt and the links for comparing US vs EU debt and consider prioritizing. Romney is my 6th choice, but he is infinitely better than Obama. Obama must go.

talkingpoints on April 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Romney is my 6th choice, but he is infinitely better than Obama. Obama must go.

talkingpoints on April 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

You have an odd definition of “infinite”. At best, Romney is marginally better than Obama. We each have to decide if that margin is enough to bet our children’s futures on. The long-term consequence of Bush was Obama. What would be the long-term consequence of Romney? We have no doubt about the destruction that Turdboy is fashioning. We can strike out against that. Romney will tiptoe to the same place and Republicans will gleefully follow him just because he’s not Obama. I hope I’m wrong, but I have to see what’s right in front of me and not be blinded by the same hope that people clung to in 2008.

swinia sutki on April 11, 2012 at 5:43 AM

This will work out well for Willard.

SilverDeth on April 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Behold the dawn of the kook-fringe party. Have fun stormin’ the castle, boys!

Seriously, if you think you are disenfranchised now, imagine yourselves when you are like the constitution party, garnering 1% of the vote and unable to field a candidate in any election other than President, where you put up some clown with no funding. You won’t get as many votes as the Socialist candidate.

Jaibones on April 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

ehe, the majority of the ABR crowd is on the anger phase. how entertaining!
I have been in the acceptance phase for long time now, so my pain is subdued.
we got the “establishment candidade”, true. and I guess we will vote for him as the lesser evil, but its such a bitter taste. bah!
My only happiness is that the libertarian hating, social conservatism represented by santorum got defeated. lets watch mitt now reversing his social conservative pandering of the last months. I wonder how ED and Tina will spin it.

I really feel empty, with no political champion different enough to deserve my support.
still there is a pending issue of who mitt will pick for VP? I would choose snowe or murkowski just to rub it in on the social conservatives.

nathor on April 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Jaibones on April 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Behold the witless arrogance of the establishment toady. If the conservative base left the GOP to form some other party, it’s the GOP who would be looking like the Libertarians.

ddrintn on April 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

ddrintn on April 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Behold the witless arrogance of the delusional Palinbots. The entire conservative base wouldn’t leave the GOP, just you and a couple of your friends would.

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM

ddrintn on April 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Thing is, forming a new party would require Jaibonehead and similar morons to actually get off their fat butts and WORK. Political parties are not formed from canned talking points and wishes.

It’s a lot easier to vote for the Semi-Liberal Party and pray they won’t betray you this time around the block.

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM

ddrintn on April 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

So sayeth the spokesperson for the HA35. Lots of internet mumblings about mass defections from the party and the sum intelligence of all mankind held by 35 anonymous posters at a political comment site.

mumble mumble mumble watch their numbers tumble…

Bradky on April 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

MelonCollie on April 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Funny how you expect people satisfied in general with the two party system to do the work to form some mythical third party that you would rather support.
How about some courage of convictions buddy. Get it started. GO!!

Bradky on April 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It is a tragic one. The HA35 are in full denial at this point.

Bradky on April 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

How are the HAMS BB55 holding up?

smoothsailing on April 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

smoothsailing on April 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I am deeply touched that you take the time to go through pages of comments to see what I have said. There is hope for you yet young one – thank you for trusting me to impart wisdom to you.
The thirst for learning and knowledge is strong with you — that will take you far. Have a blessed Wednesday!

Bradky on April 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM

mumble mumble mumble watch their numbers tumble…

Bradky on April 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

You’re talking up the HA35 a lot on this one. How long do you have to spend on a blog to actually ID 35 other people that you claim won’t vote for Romney? What with the 20 others you follow around to social web sites this looks like a big part of your life.

smoothsailing on April 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Bradky on April 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM

All the pages? Mate, the two comments I referred to were both on this one page. I don’t have as much time to spend here as you do.

smoothsailing on April 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Hiya from Birmingham-ish!

totherightofthem on April 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I keep hearing how Romney is not a Conservative compared to the rest of the field and even words like Liberal and Socialist are being thrown around but I never see any proof for some reason…..

Can one of you guys give me a concrete policy example? I know climate change is a sore spot but he sort of makes that up by his rock solid amnesty stance, the best in the field. Is there anything definitive that can be pointed out?

Zybalto on April 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

g2825m on April 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Your job will be harder. Keep your head down as Static said and thank you both, one soldier to another, /salute.

dogsoldier on April 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Thank you for your service – all of you … stay safe … watch your 6 ….
come home whole … prayers ….

conservative tarheel on April 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Once again there’s no choice left at voting time. It sucks that the primary cycle is so long that everyone drops out before the half way point. Not even sure I’ll bother voting in the primary and I’m not sure I can vote for Romney in November. How do I vote for a candidate who’s campaign admits that their words during the primary were written on an etch-a-sketch? Do I wait for the etch-a-sketch to be shaken and a new set of ideals to be written and try to believe that Romney means them?

I am so sick of the better of two evils choice. We are now left with two presidential candidates who believe in mandates and government run healthcare. Romneycare = Obamacare and that is how the Democrats will get the healthcare millstone off their necks. The Republicans are no longer the party of smaller government and are learning to embrace socialism. So tired of paddling against the current and being in the minority.

Looks like I’ve got three choices:
1. Learn to go with the flow and accept socialism
2. Step away from politics and immerse myself in pop culture.
3. Or, maybe another look at the Constitution/Libertarian Parties?

Ibanez Lotus on April 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Understand … completely …. I am voting in the primary … defense of marriage amendment is on the ballot ….
gonna look at Constitution party …. I am mostly done with the GOP
they are not interested in smaller gov’t … time to look at something else …

conservative tarheel on April 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Time for a new party. This one stinks of liberals.

SilverDeth on April 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Permanent minority status in 3…. 2….

It’s a good thing it won’t happen.

alchemist19 on April 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

isn’t that the same idea the whigs had ???

conservative tarheel on April 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM