Video: Are you ready for the Tim Tebow Easter service?

posted at 8:47 pm on April 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

I was curious to see him in action in the pulpit and, after 400+ comments in Headlines on this, figured you would be too. Here’s all 24 minutes of his Q&A yesterday at the “Easter on the Hill” service in Texas together with a snippet from his answer on “Tebowing” for people who can’t spare the time. Actual quote from Timothy Dolan, the new cardinal from NYC and a contender to succeed Benedict as Pope: “We got over 3,000 people at St. Patrick’s Cathedral this morning, you think one Timothy Dolan would be happy. But I’m jealous because one Timothy Tebow has 25,000.” (The AP said it was closer to 15,000.)

Over at Yahoo Sports, “Shutdown Corner” says we’ve got an honest-to-goodness cultural phenomenon here:

“I think it’s exactly what we wanted to have happen,” [pastor Joe] Champion said. “We had people coming from all over the region; even from out of state. One lady drove 17 hours from Indianapolis with her two daughters, and Tim just did an outstanding job of sharing Easter and the life of Christ in his personal testimony. We were just thrilled with everything about [the service].”…

“In Christianity, it’s the Pope and Tebow right now,” Champion said. “We didn’t have enough room to handle the Pope.”…

When it was Tebow’s turn to speak, the former Denver Broncos and current New York Jets quarterback reaffirmed his conviction that he would be public about his Christian beliefs. “It’s OK to be outspoken about your faith,” he said.

Tebow then took a shot at those athletes who claim that they’re not role models, or act in ways that would not be worthy of the title, in his mind.

“Yes you are. You’re just not a good one.”

Follow the link for photos of Jets jerseys being worn by people outside New York State, which must surely be a first in NFL history. Tebow’s current favorable rating among New Yorkers: 44/11, although we’ll see how that goes after the team’s inevitable disappointing 3-3 or 4-4 start.

Comments

This is like the Lebron special for football.

Mormontheman on April 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

love the shirt! looking good girl

DBear on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Why does it seem so shocking to see someone so down to earth, happy, genuine, and wholesome?

Oh yeah, American culture is in the crapper.

tom daschle concerned on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I can’t remember who I was having the conversation with a while back about Tebow still being single and a virgin… But there’s Tebow in a pink shirt… WTF>?

SauerKraut537 on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Interesting,he claims he has been doing it for 7 years,and now,
Te-Bowing is just catching on!!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Can we just eschew the notion that trends in Christianity are somehow divorced from worldly concerns like photogeneity and marketing? Is there any question that if Tim Tebow looked horrible (rather than yummylicious) in those Hanes ads that anyone would care about him?

libfreeordie on April 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Real men wear pink and don’t worry about it.

boardy9 on April 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

libfreeordie on April 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Kurt Warner got a lot of pub for being a committed Christian, and he wasn’t starring in any Hanes ads.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Why are you obsessed with Tim Tebow’s sexuality?

He’s just not that into you, SK.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

don’t forget the mani-pedi he got in West Hollywood last week.

I’m not saying he is gay but if he is I hope he comes out and becomes the gay Jackie Robinson!

DBear on April 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

AP,

Dolan is not papabile. There won’t be an American pope… in a really really long time. Just FYI.

Mike Rathbone on April 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on April 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Kurt Warner got like a month of good PR when he ascended to the superbowl after years of obscurity. In fact, the years of obscurity were part of the narrative. The religious right has been annointing the feet of Tim Tebow with their “oils” since the moment his super cute mug and short sleeved jersey appeared on the national scene. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Tim Tebow (obvis) but it just demonstrates that desire drives popularity even in Christian circles.

libfreeordie on April 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

DBear on April 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I don’t think he’s gay, but it would be funny to see him come out, if only because all the liberals who despise him would suddenly become his biggest fans.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

My girlfriend and I were working in Denver during the ’99 NFL season. The prior year the Broncos played the Jets for the AFC Championship, after the ’98 season, with the Broncos seeded #1 and the Jets #2. They were scheduled to play at Mile High week 5 of the 99 season.

We looked at their schedules and assumed both teams would be 4-0 coming in to that game. My girlfriend really liked Parcells, and really hated the Broncos (Denver Donkeys), so she bought a Jets jersey to wear to the game, and insisted that we get tickets behind the visitor bench.

Both teams were 0-4 going into week 5 that season.

Anyway, every time the Jets did something she liked, she would stand up and cheer. She got a lot of comments. She even got comments on the bus ride to the game. None of them positive.

I usually wore my Steelers sweatshirt. Nothing but positive comments.

jaime on April 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Nothing wrong with a dude wearing a pink shirt, or taking care of themselves in general.

I got a manicure and pedicure every time I got back from a deployment. Time downrange resulted in callouses that got me kicked out of bed by my wife. So I made sure to get them ground down.

As for a pink shirt, so what? It’s Easter. Man can’t wear pastels on Easter, when can he? More bummed he can’t be bothered to wear a tie on the most Holy Day in the Christian calendar.

Sgt Steve on April 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

“Yes you are. You’re just not a good one.”

That’s a good line.

Cleombrotus on April 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM

The slow but and sure destruction of HotAir continues unabated…..Can a guest post by LGF Charlie be in the cards?

All Hail Your Messiah!

dmann on April 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

libfreeordie on April 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I think it has more to do with success than looks. Tebow won a Heisman and a National Championship at a big-time school. Warner went undrafted, drifted around the Arena League, and was famously stocking shelves for near minimum wage before finally catching on in the NFL.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Sgt Steve on April 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

My brother-in-law(Former Squid officer, VERY married, 3 kids etc) has a shirt that he ADMITS is pink. He was claiming it was ‘salmon’ for awhile-but finally he owed up. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

That’s a pretty bright shirt, and maybe he sometimes wears pink, but I got the impression it was just for Easter, you know, because of Easter decorations and eggs and such. A holiday thing.

Dongemaharu on April 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Sgt Steve on April 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I’m Jewish so I’ve no dog in this fight-but Tebow’s dressed neatly. I kinda doubt God cares if he’s wearing a tie or not.
*smiles*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Interesting,he claims he has been doing it for 7 years,and now,
Te-Bowing is just catching on!!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:55

He hasn’t even played one full year of pro yet.

Buttercup on April 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM
————————————-

He hasn’t even played one full year of pro yet.

Buttercup on April 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Buttercup:Oh,i will admitt,I’m clueless concerning FootBall!!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Isn’t this obvious? I don’t even think the divorce would be desirable. Wordly isn’t a dirty word.

libfreeordie on April 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Well, there’s still his being a professional athlete, but sure, looks open doors for people, Tebow included. I don’t really see a problem with that either. I’ve never understood why we expect the beautiful to be more humble about their good genes than the intelligent.

Esthier on April 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

love the shirt! looking good girl

DBear on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Already living out your fantasies? fap fap fap

MeatHeadinCA on April 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

If we are talking Christians in sports, let’s not forget what Bubba Watson is bringing to the golf world….let’s just say he is the antitheses of Tiger….

hillsoftx on April 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

libfreeordie on April 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Well, glad you enjoy watching Tebow in some undies… but he was, as Joe Biden might say, a Big F’ing Deal before Hanes.

And how can you explain Jeremy Lin – or is he yummylicious, too?

MeatHeadinCA on April 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

i am still having the vision of Tim Tebow chucking the game winning pass, going to the championship game and Allahpundit stripping naked, donning a rainbow wig, clutching a John 3:16 sign and running on the field yelling “I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE!”

heh!

ted c on April 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Tim is not gay!

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Real men wear pink and don’t worry about it.

boardy9 on April 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Can I hear an Amen.

redridinghood on April 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

ted c on April 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Is he gonna toss the game-winner from the bench? A little
behind the Gatorade statue of liberty?

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I would like to apologize for saying Tim is not gay. It was totally inappropriate and I’ll never say it again.

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

It’s 9:48 EDST.
Do you know where your Hot Air coverage of NBC edit-gate is?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Bubba Watson used a pink driver to win the Masters yesterday, and because it was pink he must be gay.

Well ok except for his female wife, but other than that.

Bishop on April 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

T E B O W !!!
L I N ! ! !
Love them both!

KOOLAID2 on April 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Interesting,he claims he has been doing it for 7 years,and now,
Te-Bowing is just catching on!!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:55

He hasn’t even played one full year of pro yet.

Buttercup on April 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

College Football.

He did it while playing for the gators.

Him and that jump pass, which cost him a national championship.

lorien1973 on April 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

So it was closer to 25,000 then.

SouthernGent on April 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM

oh, fer goodness sakes. I’m sorry, but I’m just sick of hearing about Tebow already. Yeah, sure, he’s good at football, and I suppose it’s nice that he feels comfortable wearing his faith on his sleeve, but its just gotten to the point where his name grates on my ears.

AndStatistics on April 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM

“In Christianity, it’s the Pope and Tebow right now.”

Pass and pass.

A lot of Christians are going to be shocked to discover that they’re responsible for their own theology and race. Sadly, for most it will be too late.

mankai on April 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Actually, Tim was on two national championship teams at UF. He wrote Ph 4:13 on his eye black and only changed it to John 3:16 for the NC game. That passage got millions of hits on Goggle that night. This is what he means when he talks about God’s plan for his life and being used by the Lord.

Kissmygrits on April 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Tim Tebow – It’s all good.

Pork-Chop on April 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Well, actually, it’s neither the Pope nor Tim Tebow — it’s Jesus.

But I think the Pope and Tim Tebow both know that. As do most Christians.

J.E. Dyer on April 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

J.E., I’m not sure about the Pope, but I know it is for Tim Tebow.

Quartermaster on April 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM