The plot thickens: Maryland Mega Millions winner claims prize — anonymously

posted at 8:05 pm on April 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

The obligatory follow-up to Friday’s post on the Curious Case of Mirlande Wilson, who “won” $200 million, then hid the ticket in the McDonald’s where she works, then said she couldn’t find it but that she hadn’t checked her work pants yet, and seemed … pretty darned mellow about the whole thing.

Maybe she finally got around to checking her work pants?

Maryland’s record-setting Mega Millions jackpot ticket-holder wishes to remain anonymous, according to Maryland lottery officials.

Whether or not it was purchased by a McDonald’s employee who claimed to have the winning ticket — or whether or not it was purchased for her employee pool — remains a mystery. Lottery officials will not confirm whether or not Mirlande Wilson bought the ticket…

Maryland Lottery Director Stephen Martino said the winning ticket was sold about 7:15 p.m. on March 30 — less than four hours before the drawing — at the 7-Eleven on Liberty Avenue in Baltimore. It was a Quick Pick ticket and was the only one purchased at that time.

Lottery officials will hold a presser tomorrow morning to share a “storyline” with the public about what happened. I guess that means Wilson didn’t win because how do you tell that “story” if she’s the winner while respecting her anonymity? It’s either a story about her finding the ticket or it’s a story of some crazed publicity-seeker having fun with the media while the real winner quietly waited to come forward. (A happy footnote to that: Officials worried that Wilson’s claims about winning might have led the real winner to throw out their ticket without checking it. Whew.)

Another reason to believe Wilson didn’t win? Compare the boldface part above with this account from the New York Post shortly after the drawing, when she first emerged:

Then, late Friday, before the night’s drawing, the owner of the McDonald’s, Birul Desai, gave Wilson $5 to buy more tickets for the pool on her way home from work, and she went back to the 7-Eleven and bought them, Allen said.

Wilson took those tickets home with her, Allen said.

But Wilson insisted yesterday that she had bought the second batch with an unidentified pal — not for the pool — and that the winning ticket was among them.

The timeframe is right — she bought her tickets the night of the drawing — but assuming the Post’s report is accurate, the number is wrong. She bought a “batch,” the winner bought just one. We’ll see tomorrow.

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it? At first I thought maybe it was a pretext to promote the “Sweet Swine Pork Rinds” brand that was on her hat during the news conference, but that appears to be a dead end. Just good ol’ fashioned attention-seeking, maybe?

Comments

She didn’t want to pay up!

KOOLAID2 on April 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I’d do it anon if I won too.

Bob's Kid on April 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

isn’t it funny, the winners picked their numbers just hours before the drawing and folks lined up for days to get theirs…
*shaking the head*

Just good ol’ fashioned attention-seeking, maybe?

most definitely…

cmsinaz on April 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it?

Exit answer: Because she’s an idiot. Mystery solved.

rogaineguy on April 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Moral of the story:

Buy your own ticket, don’t go in on office pools or any of that nonsense.

Rebar on April 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Unfortunately, not all states allow you to do it anonymously. I don’t understand this because if you can do it in Maryland, why not in other states. I also read that you have one year to claim the prize.

Blake on April 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Maybe she’s really just that dumb, thinking she might have won and never checked her tickets.

Is it possible she’s telling the absolute truth?

“That’ll be $260M at at the first window……”

BobMbx on April 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Ah… Stage 2.

Stage 1 being… ‘I lost it’. [Translation: I don't have it, so don't so don't bust a cap in my ass.]

And then Stage 3… a certain woman, and her herd of 7 bastards… disappears.

CPT. Charles on April 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Even money by this time tomorrow Wilson is claiming the winner ‘stole’ her ticket and is threatening to sue.

jon1979 on April 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it?

To help Barack prove the GOP’s war on womyn continues…?

SouthernGent on April 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

If the person holding the ticket doesn’t turn out to be Mirlande Wilson I suppose she’ll be pressing charges for theft, right?

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it?

The fact that you’re asking the question is the answer. She wanted attention.

Jim Treacher on April 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Wilson took those tickets home with her, Allen said.
=======================

I heard a news spot,on Talk Radio,that she wasn’t going to share the winnings,and that the employees had a pool going.

My jaw dropped…..talk about greedo,er,greedy!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Where’s my money! I’ve got a massive budget shortfall and I need your sweet, sweet money. -Governor O’Malley

Lance Murdock on April 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

============================================================

Good question AP….I dunno!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

The fact that you’re asking the question is the answer. She wanted attention.

Jim Treacher on April 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

If she turns out to have been bluffing, I would say that it’s more than just attention-seeking. It’s not such a far stretch to imagine someone whose life is so desperate that they could create a delusion like this. Really sad.

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Hey you rascal! People have practically been working themselves into a frenzy over your absence from QOTD, you know! ;-)

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“Officials worried that Wilson’s claims about winning might have led the real winner to throw out their ticket without checking it.”

People do that at the racetrack too. In case of a tie, the tote board will display “dead heat” and people will think the race is “dead” and throw away their tickets even though they might have a winner.

crosspatch on April 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it?

Because Wilson was not getting enough attention playing her role as Liberal4Life?

JPeterman on April 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Alright….alright…I admit it, I hold the winning ticket.

And because I’m generous there will be a free small cheese pizza for everyone on HotGas except the lefties, they get nothing but my scorn which costs nothing.

Bishop on April 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Um, but isn’t this the most logcial answer?

The “pal” has the ticket, either the whole time and Wilson f’d up, or they swapped it to knock out the McD’s people.

It’s a 7-Eleven, so CCTV must exist. I’m sure lotto officials have the tape.

budfox on April 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it?

That’s what I don’t understand here…exactly what did this woman have to gain by lying about a winning ticket? She had to know that someone would step up with the winning ticket at some point, which would kill her story immediately. So far all she’s gotten was some media attention for a few days, but she doesn’t look like she’s really enjoying it all…

Which makes me think that perhaps she IS the real winner…and tried to lie about hiding it at work or her pants to throw off the scent of the hounds out to get her stash. It would explain a reason for all this.

Also, isn’t the public supposed to know who all winners are? I thought so much, to satisfy everyone to know there actually was a winner. I imagine if you wanted to know, you would have to request that from the lottery commission, no?

JetBoy on April 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM
————————————-

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

cynccook:

Thanks,it was harrowing experience to say the least,I gots shot down,paddled my *ss to a small atoll,then made it to Ban Hammer
Island,which I have escaped Moderation Purgatory,and was able to
flag down a skow,and finally reached the USS Hot Air!
(snark)—————:)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Alternate Theory: She really had the winning ticket. She knew that her fellow employees would be looking for her if she claimed the prize and left them out. She has taken on a “partner” who will receive the winnings, subject to a partnership agreement, that will allow her to sit at home looking innocent while the partner “anonymously” receives the winnings for both of them.
In three weeks, she will disappear and never be heard from again, only a pink “Sweet Swine Port Rind” cap to be found lying in the middle of an otherwise unoccupied dwelling. C-Ya, Mickey Ds !!!!!

ExpressoBold on April 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Alright….alright…I admit it, I hold the winning ticket.

Bishop on April 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Bishop:Please tell me,its not stored in your pot-bellied
woodstove in yur bunk’r!(sarc):)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Oh yeah, she’s nuts.

Jim Treacher on April 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

If that total loser turns out to be the winner I’ll crap my pants.

redfoxbluestate on April 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

She’ll be broke within 2 years. Count it.

angryed on April 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Hey! Who wants to join a lottery ticket pool with Mirlande???

Roy Rogers on April 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Island,which I have escaped Moderation Purgatory,and was able to
flag down a skow,and finally reached the USS Hot Air!
(snark)—————:)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Did ya get a spankin or just a time out? We missed you and we all like your posts. Apparently management disagreed.

arnold ziffel on April 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I think she just wanted her 15 minutes. I had heard a story the day after that the store in MD that sold the ticket ID’d a man through their security video who they believe was the ticket buyer at the time the winning ticket was sold.

As for throwing out a ticket without checking, that’s dumb. I recall a woman in CA several years ago who found some tickets while cleaning out her purse–one of them turned out to be a $7million winner.

stukinIL4now on April 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Exit question: Why’d Wilson do it?

JetBoy on April 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

~~~~~

It does seem to be wrong that a winner can be anonymous…I would imagine any sane person would wish to remain anonymous if they won a big payout, but it seems like a good way for lots of fraud and corruption to occur…I still think this lady is the winner, I wonder if we will get enough clues tomorrow to figure it out?!

ellifint on April 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Hey, I’m from New York – we see this sort of crazy every time we commute to work.

Ukiah on April 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

She’ll be broke within 2 years. Count it.

angryed on April 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Bad Karma will get her.

galtani on April 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Its nice to see our old pal Canopfor back in the saddle, and a snarky one at that……..

I don’t really care why she did what she did, I am not getting a penny, no matter who won!

angrymike on April 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I don’t know ’bout ya’ll, but 260megamillion buys me a lot of then Sweet Swine Cracklins. Ummmmmmm

OkieDoc on April 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Why’d she do it? Because a sadly substantial portion of the population think that just by declaring something to be true, then somehow magically it can and yes will become true.

For example, when Code Pink spent an entire year protesting in front of the Marine Corps Recruiting Station in Berkeley, with absolutely no success in “booting them out of town,” eventually Code Pink simply held a big press conference and announced that they in fact had triumphed, that the Marines had left, that Berkeley was safe for little children once more, and the Code Pink were the cause of all this.

That was almost two years ago. The Marines are still there, unmoved by Code Pink’s delusional fantasy.

So, why’d they do it? For the same reason the fake lotto-winner did it: Magical thinking.

Zombie on April 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM
————————————

arnold ziffel on April 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

arnold ziffel:I was going,off-topic,with my Breaking News heads up
linkys,placed on moderation,now lifted!:)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

arnold ziffel:I was going,off-topic,with my Breaking News heads up
linkys,placed on moderation,now lifted!:)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

LOL Seriously, I don’t know if you’d been reading but it was getting close to torches and pitchforks!

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Or, Mirlande could be a complete diversion and Aunt Zucchini could stop by completely anonymously for Zero’s mega money-drop payoff and no-one would be the wiser…. If it’s anonymous anyone can play. Politicians, judges, etc.

Something the Mafia learned long ago that the best way to conceal money laundering is gambling. It has the added convenience of luring sucker-bets against stacked bad odds of roulette just like lotteries do with extreme odds against. If you can’t see who won or can only hear who they tell you who won (or where a payoff went) you’ll never know otherwise. If the current town doesn’t work the Mafia builds the town (Vegas / Reno / Atlantic City) then adds the officials as they’d like at their convenience.

viking01 on April 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Okay this glittering jewel of intellect with 7 kids by an undefined number of impregnators (fathers take responsibility)working at McDonald’s (God Bless her for working)has been able to get the slobbering MSM to ask, when Ms. Wilson says “jump” they axed “how high?” It is a pathetic parade of fools. Everybody in this circus of fraud should be embarrassed…. and sadly no one will.

HatfieldMcCoy on April 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Just good ol’ fashioned attention-seeking, maybe?

Yup.

Someone did the same thing with a Ohio Lotto jackpot about a decade ago; she acted the same way this derp did. Then she was proven to be a total tool and the real winner came forward.

Myron Falwell on April 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Just good ol’ fashioned attention-seeking, maybe?

No, no! I’m the winner! Look at ME! ME! ME!

Yup, that was it alright.

Laura in Maryland on April 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Interesting that you can remain anonymous. If they had won in many states they could not remain anonymous, Maryland is one of the few that allows a blind trust for the winner.

Deanna on April 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Deanna on April 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I work in MD but live in PA and its one of the reasons I buy tickets in both States. I would be anonymous if I won in Maryland and I wouldn’t pay State or Local taxes if I won in Pennsylvania.

ManWithNoName on April 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I would like to let you know that a Woman in Cleveland did the same thing, she claimed she lost the ticket in the Parking lot of the store.

Patricksp on April 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM

“Mirlande Wilson Hides $200 Million Lottery Ticket in Her Pants”

OK, who wants to get in her pants? Anybody? Anybody?

BigAlSouth on April 10, 2012 at 6:26 AM

FNC website has an article on this that states the winner has no relationship with Wilson.

I read a report last week that someone at the store bought a ticket after her. A man, and he was on the security footage.

placed on moderation,now lifted!:)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Awesome news.

dogsoldier on April 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Well, now we know – total fraud and lie from the start. Just a publicity hound trying to get attention.

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM