Quotes of the day

posted at 10:33 pm on April 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Mitt Romney’s electoral trouble with women — more precisely with college-educated women — is real enough. Recent polling has Romney trailing President Obama by 18 points among this group in Ohio, with similar gaps in other battleground states…

“In 2000, George W. Bush campaigned — in both the primaries and the general election — on increasing the quality of education for poor children, on humane immigration reform and on expanding care by faith-based organizations for the addicted and homeless. These issues were personally important to Bush. They also signaled to independents and women that he could think beyond normal ideological boundaries. This form of ‘compassionate conservatism’ is now broadly reviled among conservatives. The need for an analogous agenda, whatever it is called, remains unchanged. To secure a decent shot at this election, Romney will need to offer some positive vision for the common good…

“One of the best ways to appeal to women — and to humans, for that matter — is to show some humanity.”

***

“For all the analysis of Mitt Romney’s struggle to attract female voters, little has been made of the other gender gap — President Obama’s difficulty in attracting male voters

“There are historical trends to consider — women have favored Democrats and men Republicans for decades.

“In this particular race, dissatisfaction with Obama runs deeper among men when it comes to issues of the economy and the deficit — issues Romney has tried to make the centerpiece of his campaign platform…

“‘Men are hurting more in this workforce in unemployment than women are,’ said Brad Blakeman, past adviser to former President George W. Bush. ‘Men have left this president because they are unemployed.’”

***

“Anyway, all of the attention on the changing views of women in this age group during the past month might miss a much larger, more important development that has gone largely ignored. Both of Gallup’s national polls and Swing States surveys for USA Today confirm that during the past six months, the more dramatic change in presidential preference has been among men, not women.

“In October, Gallup’s national poll found that Obama led Romney by 14 points among women (54 percent to 40 percent). That margin shrunk only slightly, to 12 points, in March. But among men, Romney’s 16-point advantage in October shrunk to just 3 points in March…

“Clearly, Romney can’t win the White House if he is winning only 40 percent of female voters nationally or 36 percent of female voters from the 10 swing states. But it’s equally true that Romney can’t defeat Obama if the Republican carries men by only 3 points (as he does in Gallup’s most recent national poll) or by a single point (as he does in the most recent Swing States survey).

“Why have we heard so much about female voters and little or nothing about men? I’d guess that it is because the narrative has been set (about the Republican ‘war on women’), so journalists look for data and anecdotes that fit into it.”

***

***

“Meanwhile, she said, the other side of the equation is overlooked: The Democratic Party has a problem with getting a majority of the male vote.

“‘And secondly we talk about the gender gap, the Democrats have — they can’t get men to vote for them,’ she continued. ‘I mean, I assume because Obama won so big, he probably got a majority of the men’s votes, but I didn’t look that up. Other than him, Democrats haven’t gotten the majority of men to vote for them since 1944, other than the 1964 landslide.’”

***

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Why did libby 4 life get the hammer? I missed that one..

Kind of preoccupied, the last couple of weeks I’ve been extremely hoarse, sore throat,.. that kinda thing, brought it up when I saw my workers comp doc this morning.. he was… well,.. he kinda shocked me..

I have to see my MD, family doc tomorrow for a cancer screen, and see what’s going wrong. My jaw hurts, I’m getting sores on the corners of my mouth, and can only breath at night through my mouth..

I have a history of acid reflux.. so these kinds of things aren’t new,.. just never lasted this long before..

I’m thinking,.. severe reflux..

anywhoo.. wish me luck.. I’m sure it’s nuthing.. but it never hurts to ask for a friends good karma.. and while not much scares me.. this.. well..

wish me luck…k?

Just cause I love these guys..

mark81150 on April 10, 2012 at 2:10 AM

What happened with libby 4 life?

how’d she get the hammer?.. she was usually pretty dim, annoying, but I can’t remember her crossing too far over the line to grievously offensive.

finally go to far?

mark81150 on April 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM

oh.. didn’t realize it was this late.. I’ll be up awhile, can’t see that I’ll sleep much tonight.

mark81150 on April 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM

..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM

OK, I got a funny for you. Hope Bmore sees this tomorrow.
Last night we are having Easter dinner with my adult son. I asked him if he has been saying his prayers esp since it’s Easter. He said he had. My wife—in complete innocence, then asked if Judaism came from Judas who betrayed Jesus. My son and I just couldn’t stop laughing. I said Jews don’t believe He is the son of God but their history goes way back and their religion was not named after someone treacherous.

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM

What happened with libby 4 life?

She took that last train to Clarkesville and it won’t be back no more, no more.

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM

We are running low on trolls..:)

PS..We need to protect the few we have..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Do you think he will win?..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Which, David’s son or the obamanation?…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I don’t know about seduction but you can slow dance to this one..:)

PS..The B-3 organ rules!!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM

There is certainly a lot of good music that I had forgotten about. I really enjoy the input from people. Nice song.

One question. Have you ever played stuff too much and got saturated? I used to love Fleetwood Mac. I really think I just over did it with them or grew to not like their style.

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I am sorry I was confusing..Do you think Mark Pryor will win another term?..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I am sorry you cannot IMHO get saturated on Fleetwood Mac..Not this!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I am sorry you cannot IMHO get saturated on Fleetwood Mac..Not this!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM

You are right. Awesome album. I guess I’ll get it out of the “sell” pile tomorrow and listen to it.

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I am sorry I was confusing..Do you think Mark Pryor will win another term?..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM

He’ll survive to promote his stealth socialist agenda. His dad was Gov and US Senator and is still somewhat active in state politics. Mark was the State AG before Senator. The demwit Party machine will back him to the hilt…But, just in case, he’ll distance himself from the obamanation just the same…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Which thread did l4l lose posting privileges?…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Left hand column of the main page Chaffetz Fast and Furious thread..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I was hoping we (GOP) could win this Senate seat back..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I guess I’ll get it out of the “sell” pile tomorrow and listen to it.

arnold ziffel on April 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM

You definitely need to hang on to that classic..That is arguably the best LP ever made..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Left hand column of the main page Chaffetz Fast and Furious thread..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Hallelujah.

She was a nasty piece of work.

John the Libertarian on April 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I was hoping we (GOP) could win this Senate seat back..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Not back. If Pryor were to be defeated it would be a seismic event here…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM

My first concert…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM

John the Libertarian on April 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM

+ 100..Thumbs up!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Left hand column of the main page Chaffetz Fast and Furious thread..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 2:51 AM

That’s was quick. Glad Ed didn’t wipe other HA commenters responses to her…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Not back. If Pryor were to be defeated it would be a seismic event here…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Ihear you..We can always hope!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 3:11 AM

My first concert…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM

+ 100..You got to see one of the best!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Not back. If Pryor were to be defeated it would be a seismic event here…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Honestly, it is pretty possible. The way the last Senator got stomped in 2010 and the fact that we are in the south all lead for reasons to think he will get dumped. The only question is who runs against him, I suspect it will be NW AR’s representative Womack considering that is a safe Republican seat and there are donors up their.

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Dunno. It could happen but I would bet the farm. Blanche was softened up by a primary fight from her left as unions poured $12M into the primary in a bid to defeat her, her floor speech on behalf of obamacare and she didn’t have statewide roots.

Womack has a safe seat but he’s already talking about doing away with the self-imposed House earmark ban and he doesn’t have a statewide presence/name. Same with Crawford (on bothe counts) in the 1st District. There is a good chance the R’s will pick up Ross’s 4th district seat, though…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Hello late nighters, from the Evening Shift brigade!

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM

would s/b wouldn’t…

Thanx Dire

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I seem to have killed the Portman thread. You try to turn the conversation towards electoral statistics and polling and suddenly the Rombots dry up. Oh well.

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Man this place has been dead for the last few days. The single biggest news story today has been Ed dropping the ban hammer on L4L! :)

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM

LoLz..Your welcome..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Can’t speak for others but I’m overwhelmed by the inevitable…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Can’t speak for others but I’m overwhelmed by the inevitable…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Mitt Romney/Robert Portman 2012 not doing it for, I take it.

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:48 AM

s/b for you

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM

not doing it for you, I take it.

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Nope, not even after 6 years of campaigning and $50M of his kid’s inheritance…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:53 AM

And Santy came within a hair of the nomination (relatively), with nothing in his wallet but lint. :)

Oh well, if you are going to lose, at least make the other guy spend money like a fool.

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Nope, not even after 6 years of campaigning and $50M of his kid’s inheritance…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:53 AM

I’m excited, but I am a libertarian from Arkansas. Then again I have seen him speak in person. It was quite cool. Favorite line was when he said he didn’t know why young people were liberals.

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Here ya go, JtL

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 3:59 AM

“If you’re not Liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not Conservative when you’re 35, you have no brain.” – Winston Churchill, supposedly.

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Looks wise, he’s straight out of central casting. But, unfortunately, there’s little in the way of character development…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Since I’ve been giving AP grief

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:01 AM

I think he sees things in a very analytical way hence his cold, calculated decisions on what positions to take. If I were running for office up north I would be just as calculated. I get into arguments with a friend who works for a north eastern governor, but we both agree that it is about pushing your ideology while acting like the other person is being extreme.

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I just want a nominee that doesn’t say conservative like most people say alcoholic.

“Hi I’m Mitt Romney and I’m a severe conservative.”

I’m also pretty much done with all the little pointless political games politicians play, whether you want to call it being calculated or nuanced or gravitas or whatever. Just say what you mean and do what you say.

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 4:18 AM

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM

“Cold, calculated”, just another way of saying this

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:37 AM

ArkyDore,

Glad to have you around…

I’m gonna make like a baby and…leave

Nite all…

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Good nite! :)

Buckshot Bill on April 10, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Gohawgs on April 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Good night bud. I am going to sleep soon myself.

Before going, I must disagree with your assessment of Mitt. I see someone who knows how the game is/was played. You can point out examples of people bucking then trends and staying conservative in liberal places, but years ago you could not. All staunchly conservative politicians that have stuck around are from very conservative places. There were no Christies or Walkers 10 years ago and that is why we are in the mess we are in today. Mitt by today’s standards isn’t all that conservative in what his record has shown, but those positions were taken at a time when big government republicans and democrats ruled the roost. I don’t think you can compare his record to today’s standards. I think you can judge his current positions against today’s standards and I think you all know that the positions he currently believes in are very conservative.
In Mitt I see someone who was better than average in the time of big government as opposed to someone like Perry or Bush who were both plain vanilla average for their surroundings. (MA healthcare was at worse average republican fare when considering that Newt had the idea and Heritage backed the idea.)
But if you don’t believe any of that, at least know his cold calculating instincts will carry through his campaign positions to get reelected. No one runs the long grueling road for President just to be a one term proposition.

ArkyDore on April 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM

[Comment deleted, user banned for off-topic trolling -- Ed]

liberal4life on April 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Must have been wanting to swap recipes again…

Glenn Jericho on April 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Good news……Reagan was 34 points behind Jimmah Carter in early 1980.

Bad news…… John Kerry Romney is not Ronald Reagan.

PappyD61 on April 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Good morning Hot Gassers!

Oh, and since a certain blue gilled one dictated the other day that friendly chit-chat is not appropriate in the QOTD threads and all comments must always be related to politics…

@ByronYork
Reports that Romney is a ‘joke’ at Obama HQ. Plus: obsession with dog-on-car story, word that it focus-groups well. http://t.co/KaDMe6yc

…I do hope that satisfies your ruling thou great and mighty gilled one.

#War

Flora Duh on April 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM

[Comment deleted, user banned for off-topic trolling -- Ed]

liberal4life on April 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I’m actually going to miss the little nimrod.NOT.

NoFanofLibs on April 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

How Romney can solve his woman problem
WaPo: By Michael Gerson, Published: April 9
(snip)

Women aren’t stupid. Willard comes from a long line of polygamists.
PLUS, he’s a faux Ken Doll who couldn’t land a “date” if he had to.
Let’s never forget that neither Mittens nor ANY of his FIVE sons served in the military.
Intuitive women must be torn between “I Won” and Mittens. Can’t say I blame them.
The First Wuss v. The Wannabe First Wuss
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Flora Duh on April 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM

The very things that most people think no one cares about are the stuff we will hear non stop until November. Not that it wouldn’t be the case no matter who the nominee is, it will still be annoying.

Cindy Munford on April 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Just imagine how much better off you would be if you’d had 4-6 more years of indoctrination. It’s no coincidence why the ‘women gap’ is at its most extreme among ‘college-educated’ women.

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

And student loans!!

Cindy Munford on April 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Karl Magnus on April 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

But John Kerry did.
So have many others in government.
Many have not.
For example:

The 111th United States Congress, in session from 2009–2010, consisted of 541 elected officials from 50 states, five territories, and the District of Columbia. …The Senate has 100 members; the House of Representatives has 435 members and six non-voting delegates. … A number of members of the 111th Congress had served in the United States armed forces; some are combat veterans. There were 167 veterans in the 107th Congress, 153 in the 108th Congress, 126 in the 110th Congress, and 121 in the current 111th Congress.[23][24] Some were still serving as reservists during their tenure.

541-121 = 420.
But what about Presidents?

The United States Constitution names the President of the United States the commander in chief of the US armed forces. However, previous service in the military is not a pre-requisite for the position of president. As of the 2008 presidential election, no member of the US Marine Corps or US Coast Guard has yet been elected President. The most frequent military experience is Army/Army Reserve with 15 presidents, followed by State Militias at 9, Navy/Naval Reserve at 6 and the Continental Army with 2 presidents serving.

Out of 43 Presidents (Cleveland’s terms were separated by 4 years), 19 had actual combat service (8 Republicans, 7 Democrats, and 4 others, including Washington and Monroe); 12 served without seeing combat (6 Republicans, including Lincoln, Reagan, and Eisenhower), 2 Democrats, and 4 others, including Madison and Jefferson); and 12 had no military service at all (4 Republicans, 6 Democrats including FDR, and the Adams family).

So, what is your point, exactly?

AesopFan on April 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM

cynccook on April 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

And student loans!!

Cindy Munford on April 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Preach it, Sisters!

The University Agenda:

there has been in universities a “sharp shift to the left in recent decades,” with “the characteristic pattern of an even more extreme tilt, amounting almost to exclusion of opposing views, precisely in those departments where it matters most to have the full spectrum of social and political thought.”

College Attendance

Some colleges maintain a gender balance, but national data in recent years show a 57%-43% split favoring women, both in enrollments and graduation rates.

=
Education is not the same as Wisdom

AesopFan on April 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM