Herman Cain echoes Sarah Palin, Nikki Haley: Allen West would be an “excellent choice” for VP

posted at 5:00 pm on April 9, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Just in case Sarah Palin’s initial endorsement of Allen West as a “rogue” pick for vice president wasn’t enough to establish him as the Tea Party VP pick, other Tea Party voices have added their praise of West to hers. Most recently, Herman Cain said he thinks the fiery Florida congressman would make an “excellent” running mate for the eventual GOP nominee.

“He is well-spoken, he is direct, he is from Florida and folks in Florida love him — with Florida being one of those key states in the Fall. But most importantly, Col. Allen West is a dedicated patriot who has served in the military, and who is willing to serve his country again. I think he would be an excellent choice,” Cain told conservative talk radio host Steve Gill.

Speculation about a spot on the ticket for the congressman grew last week when former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin said she believed the eventual Republican nominee should make a “rogue” pick in her own mold.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, a prominent Romney surrogate who herself has been IDed as a possible addition to the ticket, said Wednesday that West could be a “good” choice, although later seemed to backtrack from those comments.

West himself has said he’d accept the nomination if it was “the right fit.”

It’s a testament to Sarah Palin’s still-significant ability to drive conversation that conservatives continue to mention West, whose short time in the House has yielded refreshingly straightforward soundbites, but no particularly game-changing legislation. Like so many of the all-stars who were elected to the House and Senate in 2010, West is well-poised to be an official leader (he’s clearly already an unofficial leader) in the conservative movement in the future — but nothing says he has to jump from an unfinished first term in the House to the 2012 vice presidential nomination to do that.

The more Tea Party conservatives push West, though, the more Tea Partiers will begin to doubt the conservative credentials of the other VP potentials. While I don’t want to see Romney play it “safe” (he’s safe enough, thank you very much), I hope the GOP electorate will maintain an open mind to all the possibilities. I haven’t been shy about my great admiration for Paul Ryan and how excited I’d be to see Romney select him as VP, but I don’t doubt the conservatism of any of the folks whose names have been tossed around as possible running mates for the eventual nominee. We have a number of very outstanding possibilities — and, best of all, Obama’s running mate will be Biden. If voters did vote for the VP candidate, I’m confident we’d be golden in November.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nope, I want someone who has a steely nature, knows war, history, has common sense, is not snotty, is down to earth, jumps into the faces of the media and the opposition, unrelentingly. This is going to be a war like no other. Underestimate at your peril.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I think you are a fake conservative.

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM
…I miss those ‘linky’s’ !!!!

KOOLAID2 on April 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

KOOLAID2:Yup,I’ll yak with AP,and see if its ontopic related
good to go.The beauty of those links,is that later
on in a few years,they are a great resource to go to
when a topic comes up!:)

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Yes, they will go after her for being a part of the Bush Administration but that will only work with those that are in Team Obama camp anyway. She is imminently qualified and will destroy Biden in the debates. She will also draw conservatives, indys, Women, etc.

Natebo on April 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

This is where I disagree. Independents did not come away with a particularly good impression of Bush at all. I think they will gradually come to realize he was not nearly so bad, but at the moment, even after several years of Obama, there are people who blame Bush at least in part for the economic crisis.

Anyone who is such a fanatic that they blame Bush entirely and let Obama off scot free is obviously not going to vote Republican anyway, I agree. But there are plenty of people who blame them both, or who blame Bush but feel like Obama hasn’t done enough to fix things, and so forth. These are people we need to convince, and it will be harder to do that with someone tied to Bush.

RINO in Name Only on April 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Even tho,Allen West Facebook page comments sounds very bad,

I’m cutting him some slack,as I too,don’t know the truth yet!
————————————————————–

But West couldn’t either, which is the point.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Mitchell Heisman:But West is in Florida,where this whirlwind is
in high gear!!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The country, I believe, will be looking for a competent, highly plausible, GOP VP pick, after Palin, rightly or wrongly (I think rightly), was judged and considered by the party to be a less-than-serious lightweight (as, to my mind, proved later when she quit her governorship to do reality TV and political punditry, instead of completing her governorship and keeping out of the limelight to study foreign policy and military affairs).

Because of the bad impression in people’s minds of Palin, I think that if Romney chooses a female VP candidate, it had better be someone extremely sharp and able to think on her feet in front of hostile questioners. Someone with lots of experience and a generous track record. It should also be someone who will unite the conservative base behind Romney, many of whom are less than impressed by what they see as the heresy of his faith.

I don’t know who that would be.

However, there are some male candidates who fit the bill.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Read this. He isn’t steely at all, and obviously doesn’t “jump into the faces of the media and the opposition, unrelentingly.”

He is pulling the race card here. Accept it.

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Mitchell Heisman:But West is in Florida,where this whirlwind is
in high gear!!

So?

If he aspired to be Vice President, he needs to come across as measured. His military record + that don’t give that impression.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Mitchell Heisman:But West is in Florida,where this whirlwind is
in high gear!!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM

All the more reason he should STFU.

He is just jumping on the race-baiting bandwagon. Period.

Frankly, my old friend, this post of your disappointed me. :(

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Why would santorum choose west? I just don’t get it.

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I think you are a fake conservative.

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I think you are not very discerning and turning foolish.

On the FL case all should shut up, including all the contenders. They have all made fools of themselves on topic, none more than Obama with his “if I had a son” comment.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM

If I were Mitt Romney I’d fire a bunch of his adherents. You are the worst marketeers in the world.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Women. You can’t live with ‘em, you can’t elect ‘em either ?

C’mon- Sarah showed us what is possible.

Besides, I don’t think there is any way the media is gonna allow 2 white guys to throw a black guy out of office. It just seems so racial.

FlaMurph on April 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM

annoyinglittletwerp
Exactly, it goes to show that racially motivated stupid statements like “the police acted stupidly” happen on both sides. Say no to west.

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM

FlaMurph, you don’t tell me when or what to comment. I won’t tell you either.

On the topic of “female” VP, or not, that by itself w/b pandering, as we are known to loathe the left for doing.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I think Allen West would be AWESOME!

Oink on April 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

He is pulling the race card here. Accept it.

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

This^^^

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM

We already have a race-batter in high office. We don’t need one on our ticket.

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Romney/Christine O’Donnell

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Romney/Christine O’DonnellMike Castle

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Romney’s too conservative already, he needs someone more moderate to balance the ticket.

RINO in Name Only on April 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I think Allen West would be AWESOME!
Oink on April 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I think he would be too, if he weren’t Allen West. He condemned George Zimmerman and called for firings just because he is black.

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I can see the ad
I’m not a witch; I’m you, he is a Mormon though.

Rusty Allen on April 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Well, that and Rubio’s smart as hell.
Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

How smart is SOPA, PIPA, dream act, supporting Oboobi on Libya and so on. He talks a good game, riffing on what conservative are saint. But left to his own instincts, he tends to come out on the wrong side of liberty and the BoR. That concerns me more than smart. One can be book smart and have no conservative sense. I’m still waiting for evidence of that. Plus it’d be a waste of his talents (seasoning to improve his cred) to pull him out of the Senate when we need every one we can get.

AH_C on April 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Agreed. And yet you still push Allen West. His comments only prove he is being PC.

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I think Allen West would be AWESOME!

Oink on April 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I used to think so…and I can assure you, I am not the only Conservative to think so…

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

And yet, you still push Romney. All made stupid comments in this FL case, when they all should have said nothing, or this “until we know what happened, we must defer to…”

There are no perfect ones. Just trying to help the hapless Mitt.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Do not believe this lie.

Romney is more liberal that any Democrat except Obama.

He ran to the left of the Democrats twice. They were not far enough left (liberal) for him. He voted for the untra liberal Democrat Tsongas while a Democrat in Mass and made it clear he hatted Republicans in 2002 when running for Governor.

Mitt will lose 2012 election.

Steveangell on April 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

C’mon- Sarah showed us what is possible.

Gee, she sure showed ‘em.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Do not believe this lie.

Romney is more liberal that any Democrat except Obama.

Mitt will lose 2012 election.

Steveangell on April 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

So if he is the GOP nominee you will stay home, guaranteeing obaka four more years?

Seriously?

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

That’s why I think Romney should nominate Huckabee. Huckabee has issues, but he’s got charisma, he’s affable, he can be supportive (check out how well he ran his Presidential forums and how he interviews guests on his show) and his Christian creds are not in dispute. That helps Romney with those leery of his Mormonism.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Do not believe this lie.

Romney is more liberal that any Democrat except Obama.

Steveangell on April 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Whoa, there, cease fire, cease fire! I was hoping the addition of Mike Castle would make it clear, I was being sarcastic. While I don’t view Romney as more liberal than most democrats, anyone who thinks he is too conservative is absolutely nuts. I guess sarcasm doesn’t work so well with the written word, but I just can’t bring myself to use sarc tags. I hate those things.

I doubt that anyone other than the full-blown lefty trolls thinks that Romney is too conservative and needs Mike Castle of all people to balance the ticket.

RINO in Name Only on April 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

So great- women are special interest group to you. Other than the fact they are a MAJORITY voting population – we’ll just consider it pandering to the stupid broads. No need to apply ladies. The mens are in control. Massage my Mysog.

The men have done a fantastic job haven’t they ? Women would only screw it up, am I correct? C’mon its the guys who have effed things up- you have no default position there. And I am suggesting capable qualified women, not witches.

You better start thinking outside the box, because you keep making the box you live in smaller everyday.

FlaMurph on April 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

What is really missing,is political candidates that have,
or have had,Military experience,and Allan West fits that bill.

It would be refreshing,to see Lt.Col. Allen West chosen for
Vice President,as it would signal not only to the troops,but
more of a confidence in a US Administration,especially since
the War on Terror is still ongoing!

canopfor on April 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Nice point. Great to see you. Try this. canopfor™

Bmore on April 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Martinez has said she is committed to finishing out a full term as governor. Following her election in 2010, she said that leaving in the middle of the term to pursue the vice presidential nomination would set a bad example for young girls who looked up to her as the state’s first female governor.

galtani on April 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM

There are no perfect ones. Just trying to help the hapless Mitt.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

His supporters will un do any help. Why bother. I notice that West is the only one they are jumping on in the Zimmerman case. This despite him saying that IF
the facts presented are true…
They leave that out.
But, hell, you’re a “fake” conservative. Unless you change and crawl onto th Romney wagon.

katy the mean old lady on April 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Society became far, far, FAR more socialist with political correctness and many other ills taking root since women were allowed to vote.

I think it was a huge error.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Good. If she actually follows through with this, that should raise her stock as a serious person for a run on a national ticket.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Palin should have said the same and done the same.

jazzuscounty on April 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Palin should have said the same and done the same.

Yeah, I said the same thing upthread. Also long ago before the fact.

The evil Karl Rove said the same thing.

More evil people like Ace of Spades and Patterico said the same.

But meh. Wasn’t in her. Nor should she be on a national ticket again.

Mitchell Heisman on April 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM
I think you are a fake conservative.

ladyingray on April 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I think you are losing your damn mind. A Mittwi calling someone a fake conservative? That’s rich.

katy the mean old lady on April 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

As for me-I stand by what i said about West a few days ago.
I’m not going to be one of those who turns him into the conservative ‘savior of the hour’
*Also see Palin and Cain*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

As for me-I stand by what i said about West a few days ago.
*Also see Palin and Cain*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I’m not touting him as a savior. I’d prefer to have him in Congress and not tied to that millstone. I repect your decision to support Romney. Why can’t you respect the opinions of those who don’t.

katy the mean old lady on April 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Allen West said that Martin did nothing wrong. This means that he found Zimmermann guilty of murder as it would have been murder, not self defense, if Martin did nothing wrong. West joined the lynch mob. He should not be on anyone’s “short list” anymore.

VorDaj on April 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

FlaMurph on April 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

You prove more and more that you are not sound in your reasoning.

Katy, tmol, they really want to lose.

West said “If the facts prove…”. Like the NBC ‘editor’ director, those who claim otherwise s/b fired.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

West impaled himself on his own vorpal blade. And he is no longer steely as you please, nor Samurai Japanese.

VorDaj on April 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Katy, tmol, they really want to lose.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Exactly. Too many here are to damn lazy to check anything for themselves. It’s “OOOO!!! He said that! He’s toast” Sheep herding sheep.

katy the mean old lady on April 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

This is what Allen West said -

“From my reading, it seems this young man was pursued and there was no probable cause to engage him, certainly not pursue and shoot him….against the direction of the 911 responder. Let’s all be appalled at this instance not because of race, but because a young American man has lost his life, seemingly, for no reason.”

This is clearly Allen West convicting Zimmerman and finding Martin innocent. This makes him a member of a public opinion lynch mob.

VorDaj on April 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Romney is not going to pick a rookie congressman. Jindal would be a much better pick.

kurtd on April 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

It will come down between Nikki Haley, West, and Rubio.

Rubio will refuse and instead stay the course on marshaling for a 2016 run which will have loads of contenders as is.

Elites consider Haley in light of the phony “War on Women” garbage, but are still too wary of another self-destructive flash-in-the-pan lady after Palin. Haley meanwhile won’t want to give up her governorship, especially after already being paid off by Romney. Thus they rule each other out.

The elites then decide that picking West mollifies the redistricting battle between him and the Florida GOP, as well as the Tea Partiers that don’t trust Romney. And even makes a dent in the MSM’s GOP racism narratives. So West it shall be.

smiley on April 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Now that LTC has jumped to conclusions/made assumptions in the Zimmerman/Martin case, I have ZERO desire to see him higher than Congress.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

His star has fallen from the sky.

VorDaj on April 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Do you remember the sweep of your deeds
The sound of them strumming the sky?
But now when I listen, the melody’s changed
Your words only whisper goodbye
I don’t want to morn Colonel, when I think of you
But now when you speak, I do

PercyB on April 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Do you remember the sweep of your deeds
The sound of them strumming the sky?
But now when I listen, the melody’s changed
Your words only whisper goodbye
I don’t want to morn Colonel, when I think of you
But now when you speak, I do

PercyB on April 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Disagree, but nice!

Bmore on April 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I got here late. I worked hard to get West elected. Rallies, bumper stickers, word of mouth, met him, voted for him.
I was immediately rewarded with his vote on Pigford.Then his votes on the debt ceiling and now Trayvon.
No Thanks.

Wolfen on April 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

LOL. And they sit here griping about the 52% lo-info voters inhaling Oboobi’s lies. And turn around prepared to make their judgment about the fate of the country beyond 2012 based on hear-say or an out of context sound-bite. But they’ll proudly stand in the blogosphere and say “Thank God I’m not like those other lo-info losers”.

AH_C on April 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

*Also see Palin and Cain*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Did you forget Rubio, Perry, Michelle, Ryan & Jindal?

AH_C on April 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM