Forget football. Get ready for Pastor Tebow

posted at 1:01 pm on April 7, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Tim Tebow will be starting on Sunday. Of course, it has nothing to do with the wildcat formation or third and long. The new Jets superstar will be delivering the Easter sermon at a Texas church.

Tim Tebow is suiting up for Easter Sunday — although he’s still just a backup.

The sporting world’s best-known Christian will deliver a 20-minute sermon at a Texas church this weekend to mark the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Pastor Joe Champion of the Celebration Church in Georgetown, Texas, said he had no idea why the Jets’ newest addition picked their “Easter on the Hill” worship service for his appearance.

But he made it clear that Tebow’s role this Sunday is similar to his gig with Gang Green: He’s not the first-stringer.

“It’s not a Tim Tebow show,” Champion told KVUE-TV. “It’s not about celebrity. There’s really only one celebrity that we are going to honor and highlight.”

I continue wanting to dislike Tebow, but the guy really makes it tough. I managed to ignore him for he most part when he was in Denver, but when he signed on with the Jets, things got personal. I really didn’t want him coming to New York where we already have our full quota of sub-par quarterbacks. But there’s just something about the guy…

With lots of star athletes they make things easy. After they get some money in their pocket they start running around partying with supermodels, developing substance abuse problems or shooting themselves in the leg in a bar. But not Tebow. Nooooo.

“Hey, can you come deliver a sermon at our church?”

“Sure.”

“Say, my kid has cancer. Can you come visit him and bring him to a game?”

“No problem.”

“My dog died.”

“Here. You can have my dog.”

Sheesh. What’s up with this guy? Can’t he at least get a jaywalking ticket or something so I can scream at him?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t like him because he’s a good christian. I like him because he’s a good person.

I like him because hideously ugly, short, bald, raging misogynist, can’t-get-laid-without-a-credit-card, odious toad Bill Maher hates him.

Oh, and because he’s ridiculously hot.

kit9 on April 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Without Jesus Christ and the transforming work of the Holy Spirit, Tim Tebow would be yet another one of those sports celebrities causing trouble. Without God, we are all utterly depraved. The redeeming work of Christ on the cross has saved this man, and the Holy Spirit has transformed Tebow into the person that we are all wondering, “Why is he so nice?” He is not perfect, but God is, and it is Christ reflected on Tebow that we are seeing.

We are all made in the image and likeness of God. We are like mirrors that reflect whatever we’re facing. In the darkness, we reflect darkness. In the light, we reflect the light. Tim Tebow is yet another mirror pointed toward God, reflecting His glory.

“Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory” — Psalm 115:1

oddjob on April 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM

It is fitting that Tebow is speaking at Easter, he and the Easter bunny have a lot in common…both are known for putting oval shaped objects where others can not easily get to them. Both are revered by many without actually doing much. Both get the majority of the credit while it is actually others who do most of the work.

/copied
//because it’s true

Moesart on April 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Your Mamma loves me on April 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM

No she doesn’t.

kg598301 on April 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Moesart on April 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Your comments are pathetic and petty. Adding smug would give some manner of credence and insinuation that you might be at times correct in the waste of keystrokes you offer here. So I’ll refrain calling you that. I once wondered why you even bothered. It’s pretty apparent you’re a fiscal at any cost “Conservative” and that’s where it ends. If Christians are a big part of the base in the GOP, why would you (and quite a few others here) be on this never ending crusade to insult them. I’ve read your comments on threads where you almost demand respect for people from within the gay community and that we respect the opinions of those who are pro-choice. But you’re one of the most obnoxious Christians haters here. I can only imagine like so many, you seem to think it’s a threat to your lifestyle.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM