Romney: I’m going to win Pennsylvania … in November

posted at 11:11 am on April 6, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney is feeling confident — not to say cocky. At the very same time that he downplayed his chances to win the Keystone State primary April 24, he expressed an expectant hope that he’ll win Pennsylvania in the general election:

“As you know I want to win Pennsylvania in November,” Romney said at a small rally held on the roof of a downtown Harrisburg office building. “I’m going to win Pennsylvania in November.” …

Pennsylvania hasn’t voted Republican in a presidential election since 1988, but he expressed confidence that he could pick up the state’s 20 electoral votes this fall.

“The people of Pennsylvania, on Nov. 6, I believe will vote for me and give me the support I need to become the next president of the United States,” he said. …

As for the more pressing matter – the April 24 Republican primary showdown against Rick Santorum – Romney was careful not to overstate his chances.

“Newt Gingrich won his state, I won my state, I think people expect the senator to win his home state,” he said. “But I’ll pick up a lot of delegates, and we have several other states with contests the same day – I hope to win all of those, and if I can win the others and pick up some delegates here, it will give me an even stronger lead.”

These juxtaposed remarks might be some of Mitt Romney’s most brilliant. At this point, he has every reason to expect that he’ll be the nominee. The math heavily favors him and prominent conservative figures in the Republican Party have, by their endorsements, anointed him “conservative enough.” Few folks are talking about a Rick Santorum comeback and even fewer are talking about a White Knight. As jarring as it might be to hear Romney jump over the last few months of the primary process to the general, then, he’s justified.

Furthermore, by focusing his predictions of victory on the general, he adds not only to his growing aura of inevitability, but to his growing aura of electability. He diminishes the importance of a Santorum victory. “So Santorum wins Pennsylvania?” Romney seems to be saying. “Everybody wins at home, but don’t think we need a Pennsylvanian to carry the swing state in the general election. Obama’s not from there — and he’s only further alienated ‘bitter clingers’ in Pennsylvania country.”

If Romney wins Pennsylvania in April — as at least one poll shows him poised to do — then so much the better for him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Romney: I’m going to win Pennsylvania … in November

Oh oh! Is he on Newt’s “I will be the nominee” diet?

KOOLAID2 on April 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

could you “take care of” liberal4life also.

lol

gerrym51 on April 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

No, never, every village has their idiot…she serves her purpose, just be glad we aren’t sharing any Krispy Kremes, I suspect with her in the room we would be starving…
It is good to keep one foolish liberal around to remind us of their mindset…often I wonder and began thinking, no one can be that stupid, and I read her posts and say “yep, wrong again, they sure can be that stupid”…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

What’s the polling on Romney vs Obama in PA right now?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Well, the polling on Romney-Obama national race has Romney within 5.

I feel confident.

JohnGalt23 on April 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

By fall, the GOP nominee would be wise to brush up on gun rights and hunting, the PA economy (manufacturing, health care and high tech), energy (coal, electricity and natural gas) and sports, namely the NFL and NHL.

Hillary beat Obama here. It can be done.

Philly on April 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

What’s the polling on Romney vs Obama in PA right now?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Well, the polling on Romney-Obama national race has Romney within 5.

I feel confident.

JohnGalt23 on April 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Really? You feel confident with Romney trailing by 5 in a state he pretty much has to have, even before the media and other members of Team O get hold of him, and even after about 3 years of fairly positive press?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

That’s another problem. The Mitt fans seem to think that media coverage and treatment of him is going to be pretty much static throughout — in other words, going up against Obama is going to be pretty much like going up against Newt or Santorum. Boy, are they in for a rude awakening.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

It’s like the “emperor has no clothes” syndrome except it’s Romney this time and not Obama. And his campaign has been effective in using the Alinsky method against his fellow republicans – search, single-out, and destroy. It will be kind of satisfying when the media which has been keeping their powder dry with thim turn their guns on him and start firing. Highlighting all the similarities with Obama since there aren’t many differences.

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

BTW, ahem, not to toot my own horn…but notice how the “Romney” heavy duty posters have “left”, or are no longer on the payroll and are not posting anymore…

Yeah, I picked them out…the one error is I said they would be gone after the election…but obviously their plug was pulled earlier than that.

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

They will be back, to try to prevent a strong conservative primary contender in 2016.

Until then, HotGas will be ignored until Mitt has some “Harriet Meyers moments tm”.

WhatNot on April 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Positive press??? Isn’t it a little early to start Happy Hour?

JohnGalt23 on April 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I never said anything about the media. I have no doubt nor illusions that the media won’t be firing both barrels at Mitt for Barry. They would no matter whom the nominee is. Who has said that? And FWIW I am not a Mitt fan. over Rick or Newt, He was my third choice, but yes, I think he gives us a decent shot compared to the other two of unseating the worst president ever. A shoe in? Hardly. I think at this point it’s an excercise in futility to keep fighting amongst ourselves. The primary is essentially over. Rick might lose in his home state, nail meet coffin. ABO!

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Positive press???

JohnGalt23 on April 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yeah. All I’ve heard for 3 years now is how Romney’s really the only adult in the room, the only one capable of beating Obama, and on and on and on.

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

You don’t have to say it. You assume it. You assume that Mitt is going to fire at Obama with both barrels unanswered, he’s somehow going to be able to carpet-bomb the country with anti-Obama ads and destroy O as effectively as he destroyed Gingrich, his polling numbers with those indies are going to rise accordingly — and all the while the media are going to sit back while a rich white guy unseats the First Black President…which they in large measure are responsible for being elected in the first place.

The only thing that would help Romney is being a starker contrast to Obama, and no campaign staff or ground game or money or PACs will help with that.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Did it ever occur to you that the heavy duty Romney posters aren’t posting is because at this point the nomination is pretty much over? There’s no point is debating the merits of Rick or Newt vs. Mitt. The math is pretty hard to refute. I take no joy that these were the three choices we had left. I frankly can’t beleive that these three stooges were the best we could find. I am ABO. But it’s time to stop the infighitng and focus in booting Barry. I hope Mitt picks someone like West, Ryan or Rubio maybe even Haley.

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I don’t assume jack or squat, so how about you stop telling me what I do or don’t do. You’re right, there’s no difference between Barry and Mitt. Nope no siree whatsoever. Do have a nice day though. Cheers.

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

So why don’t you tell me how Romney’s going to improve his numbers with indies then.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Romney is so far ahead in delegates that mathematically it does not matter if he wins PA. A Romney will be a death blow to Santorum’s campaign. I expect to see Mitt ramp up ads and phone calls after Easter. He’s being coy now, but that will change soon.

Philly on April 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Philly on April 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

If he’s inevitable, why is he still wasting campaign money?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

The actual numbers are not what you need to look at. It’s the number of undecided that counts. These voters normally break 80% against an incumbent. That means if he’s below 50% to begin with, he’s toast. Romney’s within striking range.

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Link to data?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

not2bright doesn’t understand that the primary is over. We WithMittWits will be here during the General bashing you morons who are trying to get Obama re-elected.

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

No need to “carpet bomb the country.” A few states will do–PA, OH, FL, NC. Maybe MO, WI and NH for good measure. Throw in CO and IA and it’s a wrap. He’s looking fairly good in all these states.

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Tina did not misquote Romney:

This is his explanation, which was not included in the summary:

As Romney put it, “the reason that’s going to happen, by the way, is that the people of Pennsylvania have taken a good look at conservative leadership. They’ve seen your senator, Pat Toomey, they’ve seen your governor, they’ve seen that conservative leaders are the people who will help grow the middle class.”

His ability to win suburbs and the coal vote make it at the very least possible that he can win.

What the hell does Bitter Clinger ddrintn want exactly? She’s here day in and day out bitching and moaning about what a horrible candidate Romney will be. It’s beyond tedious, it’s pointless.

I’d put her in the nattering nabobs of negativity category but she doesn’t have the status of a “nabob”, so I’ll go with “hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history” which describes her perfectly.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I tried doing that. Both times you put words in my mouth so I’m not real compelled to try and debate with someone who does that. Off to work. Have a nice Easter.

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Delusional. In the first place, even if he were so inclined, the media would never let Romney get away with carpet-bombing ANY number of states with anti-Obama ads. All we’d hear is a constant chorus of “dirty dishonest dishonorable campaigner”. But Romney won’t be so inclined, because moderate orthodoxy is you can’t go after a liberal without alienating indies. Won’t happen.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I would agree with that. No sense beating a dead horse. The primaries are over for all practical purposes. What we need to do at this point is swing our focus to Obama and get behind the candidate.

There will be no “brokered convention” and there will be no alternative candidate. It’s done.

crosspatch on April 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I tried doing that. .

Minnfidel on April 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yeah, it’s going to happen by magic, I guess.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

crosspatch on April 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

So I ask again, why is Romney still spending campaign money?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

morons
Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Funny, I thought folks with superior intellect and such didn’t have to resort to name calling. Duly noted.

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

If he’s inevitable, why is he still wasting campaign money?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

One of the reasons that Romney is a good politician is that he knows when and where to spend his campaign cash. He’ll wait until closer to the PA primary to see if he’s winning, and by how much, before wasting money to beat Santorum, who’s polling in the state is cratering all by itself.

Priscilla on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

With each passing day, Romney becomes more and more arrogant and unappealing – and the saddest part is that the GOP and Romney himself simply do not care what voters think. IF Romney is the nominee, voters will once again be forced to choose the lesser of two evils – we are continually told that Romney is NOT AS BAD as obama, but we are offered no other reason to support Romney. Exactly how Romney and the GOP establishment think that he can win without voters being enthusiastic about him is unclear.

Pork-Chop on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Because he’s Rmoney™

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Priscilla on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Begging the question (q.v.).

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Dang, I’m stuck in moderation. I had a few points to make, among them being that Tina did not misquote Romney…

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

One of the reasons that Romney is a good politician …

Priscilla on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

By the way, how can you call Romney a “good politician” when: he barely won his one and only political office; his trademark legislative achievement was health care legislation that his followers disown as having been the product of liberals in the state; he left office with a 36% approval rating and facing certain defeat for re-election; and he has had trouble putting away a succession of GOP third stringers in the primaries?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Priscilla on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yup. Forcing Santorum to spend what little funds he has left on a quite likely losing attempt at winning his own state is smart politics.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Pork-Chop on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

That’s it in a nutshell. And that is NOT going to be a winning campaign strategy.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Begging the question again. Romney’s got it locked up, so why is he worrying about Santorum AT ALL? Good Lord, you ‘bots and your problems with logic.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Link to data?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

“In 82% of cases, the undecideds break to the challenger.”

Washington Nearsider on April 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Um, he wants to knock Santorum out, to prove to him, once and for all he cannot win this thing, so it’s time to step aside and stop this delusional fantasy about a brokered convention? Better to spend money now rather than have to fritter away precious funds on the inevitable loser from here until Tampa?

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Begging the question again.
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Learned a new phrase today? Cool. Only problem:
“You keep using that word.”

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

You’re the genius who objected to Romney saying the economy was improving when it was (slightly and not due to anything Obama had done as Romney pointed out in the same statement). You want him to leave himself open to the charge that he is, in your words, a “dirty dishonest dishonorable campaigner”.

Your belief that you are smarter than Romney is inconsistent with every particle of evidence available.

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

We aren’t worried about Santorum AT ALL! He’s in the rear view mirror panting. Santorum is on the verge of ruining himself politically. That said, my prayers go out to little Bella.

leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Learned a new phrase today? Cool. Only problem:
“You keep using that word.”

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I keep using that word because you condescending Mittbot shits keep…you know…begging the question. Like this:

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

But…you see…Santorum’s already knocked out…

I swear, watching you ‘bots on this board is a daily Logical Fallacy Festival. And by the way, I’ve known what “begging the question” is for quite a while.

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, what’s smart is to write the DNC’s ads for them! Brilliant.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

These polling shysters sell this garbage every election. Poll results are worthless unless it is close to the election when they will be tested by the actual counts. All other times the pollsters play politics with their numbers to push candidates. In this case they want Romney to be our nominee as he can NOT win. But they also want to assure the Democrats Obama will win thus mixed polls that contradict each other. Asinine to believe Romney could win Penn but not the actual swing States.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

morons
Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

You’re right. I should have referred to youze guys as geniuses.

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

He’s where he is because his elbows were sharper than Santorum’s or Gingrich’s. He’ll put a knee to Obama’s groin when necessary and he’ll do it with a gentlemanly smile–just watch. Romney wants this job and he’ll do what’s necessary to get it. Obama’s not a slam dunk by any means. He’s weak in places like PA, OH and FL–not to mention MO and CO and NV–ahead by a few points at best. None of the polls, btw, are reliable at this point–since most are not of likely voters and since the samplings have been consistently skewed against the GOP to begin with. So I’d take what the media puts out in polls with a heavy grain of salt if I were you. Right now Romney’s within striking distance where it matters most. He’s a good fit in the central states and in states like IA, CO and NV with big Mormon populations. He may not be an evangelical’s cup of tea, but here in more moderate PA we like what he’s selling.

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

It is a distinct possibility that Romney will win PA. At the same time Obama was winning the state in 2008, Corbett was winning for Attorney General. McCain and Corbett lost Philadelphia by almost the same margin (10,000 vote difference). The point is that every other county in the state ran up numbers high enough to offset Philadelphia and Corbett won by 300,000 votes. Romney may do something similar. He will run well in the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh suburbs. McCain did very poorly there. There is no reason to suspect that the Republican counties will not go back to voting in their usual manner for President this year. McCain’s vote was down in all of those counties last time. Pennsylvania may be one of those states that has a long count on election night. The cities tally first (quite the opposite of many states where the city vote comes in at the end) and then all the Republican counties start reporting and Romney just may pull it off. I’d say the chances are 50-50.

jake22 on April 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, what’s smart is to write the DNC’s ads for them! Brilliant.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Guess you did not see the horrible jobs report. 126k jobs added means 100k more Americans out of work. How is that improving?

Do not buy the MSM generated false narrative. We are in high inflation thus it looks to untrained eyes that things are getting better because people do not factor in inflation. But the inflation is very real just look at $4 per gallon gass and the prices for food and everything else except electronics.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, I ought to check out that thread before I go. “SweaterVest is a Bible-humping theocratic homophobic bigot and I hate him hate him hate him HATE him…but I hope his daughter’s OK.” LOL

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

begging the question.
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

It’ll be funny when you look up what the term actually means, lol.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

ROFL…you folks are cute.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You’re right. I should have referred to youze guys as geniuses.

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

But…you see…Santorum’s already knocked out…
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

No, he can’t win. Sorry the difference is too nuanced for you.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

It’ll be funny when you look up what the term actually means, lol.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If one’s premises entail one’s conclusion, and one’s premises are questionable, one is said to beg the question.

lol

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

But…you see…Santorum’s already knocked out…
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

No, he can’t win. Sorry the difference is too nuanced for you.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

He can’t win, but yet Romney is spending money to defeat a guy who can’t win. Is Romney dumber than you are?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

a–how many blue states will the Rombot win?
b–how many red states will he lose?

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

You’re truly pathetic. Because you’re a juvenile jackass who can’t separate your political views from your own personal hatred of a candidate you assume others can’t do that either. Grow up.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Bmore

What word would you suggest I use to describe people like ddrintn who are too thick to understand that every dollar Romney spends to close the deal on Santorum is a dollar that was wasted and is not available to attack Obama.

And why is it that people on your side can’t envision this question being asked of Romney in October.

Governor Romney, you say that the economy is not improving, yet in February of this year when the economy was improving, albeit slightly, you claimed it was not improving? Why should the voters believe you?

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I didn’t call SweaterVest that. Your fellow ‘bots have. Over and over. And you never uttered a peeeeeeeeep.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

And the disgusting part is that Wrongney has it spot-on. Unless the right does a mass exodus for a 3rd party or he f*cks up beyond all comprehension before then, he’s got the nomination and their (mostly grudging) support. Really, what other choices are there?

MelonCollie on April 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

But…you see…Santorum’s already knocked out…
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

No, he can’t win. Sorry the difference is too nuanced for you.Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Hammer hits nail.

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Priscilla on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Begging the question.
ddrintn

It’ll be funny when you look up what the term actually means, lol.
whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

As I said, you’re totally clueless as to what the term actually means. Try reading our comments sans your emotionalism – if you knew what the term meant you’d quickly note it’s just not applicable. It’s fine that you’re learning some new phrases, but you’ll find them even more helpful when you learn their definitions.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

People like you keep repeating he’ll lose, though he’s polling within striking range in all the states that count–and this in polls that are weighted against the GOP to begin with. So it’s time for you to admit defeat and get behind the winner. Right now, as far as I’m concerned, every post used to attack Romney is a post that helps elect Obama–just as every swipe Santorum takes at Romney only helps to re-elect Obama.

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I do not hate Rick Santorum nor do I hate sweater vests or bible thumpers. I do not like bigots but I still would not apply the word hate to them. I use that word very infrequently. Anyway, you go on with your crazy interpretations of things. Carry on. It’s your right.

leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Maybe “circular reasoning” might be a little less scandalous for our little condescending shit of a philosophy professor here:
“Romney is unbeatable.” “So why is he spending money to beat Santorum?” “Because Santorum can’t win.”

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Ha! Bitter Clinger, you’re in no position to judge smarts. To allege that Romney is “dumb” is something only a dunce could say. Read this slowly:

The longer this nightmare continues (which can be blamed in part on Michael Steele’s not so brilliant idea to prolong the process, but I digress), the more difficult it becomes to defeat Barack Obama. We need to coalesce around one candidate, raise money, and focus on the White House now. Santorum is an annoying distraction, but a distraction he is. Spending money now to knock him out earlier than later is a smart move, particularly if Mitt can win the Pennsylvania primary.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

^ Or to make it even more plain and clear, we could just call it a “dumbass answer”! Yeah.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thats okay, I don’t mind helping when I can. Any interest in learning how to sharpen a chainsaw? I’m looking for an assistant. Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You sharpen it while it’s running? You run it like you run your mouth? Without thinking?

Basilsbest on April 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

a–how many blue states will the Rombot win?
b–how many red states will he lose?

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

a. He’ll win every red state. They’re not gonna vote for Obama no matter how much they dislike Romney.
b. He won’t win any blue states–but so what? It’s the purple states he needs to win, not blue states.

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You STILL didn’t answer the question.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

It’s a little sad that some folks just don’t have the ability to get beyond their emotionalism – it drives them to confuse their fantasies with the realities.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yes, check it out.

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That’s not the point, you clumsy oaf. The point is that a commenter was able to put aside their political animus towards Santorum and wish his daughter well. Instead of you having the grace to accept those good wishes you chose to go on a rant about what some commenters have said about Santorum’s politics in the past.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Maybe “circular reasoning” might be a little less scandalous
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Again, try reading what people actually write, not what your emotionally driven fantasies or voices in your head tell you they’re writing:

Priscilla on April 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Unless you’re completely detached from reality, there is no “circular reasoning” involved.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

You STILL didn’t answer the question.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Yes I did! More than once! I can’t help your poor reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. BTW, my earlier comment which was placed in moderation is now available for your perusal.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yes, check it out.

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Nah, I don’t think so. After reading 2 or 3 months’ worth of pretty sickening anti-Santorum crap from a good number of rabid Romney supporters — which was rarely objected to by very many other Romney supporters here — I don’t think I could stomach much sudden piety when it comes to his ailing daughter.

It’s a beautiful day here and there are much better things to do. Over and out.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Sad indeed. It reaks of Obama/Carney-ism. Denial, denial, denial.

leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Again, try reading what people actually write, not what your emotionally driven fantasies or voices in your head tell you they’re writing…
whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“Emotionally driven” is right. That’s why I’ve put her in the “hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history” category, to coin a phrase by the brilliant William Safire.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Romney’s inevitable and Santorum can’t win. I ask why Romney’s still spending money. The “answer” is to force Santorum to spend money so he won’t win. That isn’t “reasoning”. That’s idiocy. And I’m not even a Santy fan.

Now I am out.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Shake the etch-a-sketch enough times and maybe he’ll find something that works in PA

firegnome on April 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Sad indeed. It reaks of Obama/Carney-ism. Denial, denial, denial.
leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Whatever the source, it just holds no allure for me. Sometimes things are just they way they are and no amount of emotional denial can change them. Self-delusion is not a helpful thing.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Fine ONE comment where someone said they “hated” Santorum (or any other candidate). This is more projection from you…

You constantly go around calling people who have political disagreements (like me!), “haters”. It’s more juvenile garbage from you (and your comrades who like to pull the Hater Card).

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Romney’s inevitable and Santorum can’t win.
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Again, that’s just your fantasy version of what I wrote. Try reading once again, this time with understanding and comprehension:
“Forcing Santorum to spend what little funds he has left on a quite likely losing attempt at winning his own state is smart politics.”

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Fine=Find.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Show me where I’ve ever said I hate Romney. Or even a personal attack I’ve ever made on Romney, his family, his appearance (though I have been critical of his speaking style). I can find you LOTS of anti-Santorum dreck. To go along with the anti-Newt dreck. And the anti-Palin dreck before that.

Now I’d love to sit around and chat it up with the ‘bots, but it’s a waste of a good day with the family. Outta here.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

writeblock on April 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

a–keep telling yourself that
b–name the purple states he wins

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Romney: I’m going to win Pennsylvania … in November

Oh oh! Is he on Newt’s “I will be the nominee” diet?

KOOLAID2 on April 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Newt was foolish to say he was going to be the nominee before a single vote had been cast or a single delegate awarded. Romney has ample evidence to back up his assumption.

FogDog on April 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Riddle me this and we will have a definite answer regarding your emotional stability and logic- will you pull the lever for Romney in November or will you stay home?

leftophobe on April 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I can also make pigs fly except I can’t I am a pig, except they are cleaner than I am.

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

So you’re saying you can’t fly.

reddevil on April 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

She can’t even walk, or talk.

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Don’t believe any polls. People lie to the pollsters, like never before.

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Was he a speechwriter for Agnew? They wrote some real gems.

But’, y’know, the odd thing with folks like ddrintn: if they actually believed what they wrote here, they would be selling their homes and borrowing all sorts of money to buy anti-Romney shares at InTrade. Going by their logic, they’d make untold millions.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

The only person discussing Santorum’s chances is you Tina.

rubberneck on April 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Weak U.S. Jobs Data Could Hit Global Stocks Next Week
Reuters

World stock markets look poised to fall in the days ahead following a disappointing reading on payrolls in the United States. More »

Chuck Schick on April 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Romney is spending money in PA, because he is looking forward to the election in November. Money spent campaigning there now is not wasted. He is starting right now to make PA residents aware of who he is and what he plans to do if elected President. Santorum is mostly irrelevant now.

NuclearPhysicist on April 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Philly on April 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

If he’s inevitable, why is he still wasting campaign money?

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

To get Santorum out of the race by May and begin the campaign against Obama.

Philly on April 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

TEA Party Plan B in full swing today.

Plan B is to cut the rug out from under the liberal GOP RINO’s.

Sketchy will not be pleased.

DannoJyd on April 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Show me where I’ve ever said I hate Romney.
ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I have never said you “hated” a candidate until today, but I don’t know how else to describe the cause of your seething rage. Meanwhile, you (and others) have said I “hate” Palin. And others here have claimed I “hate” Perry. And now you’re claiming commenters “hate” Santorum. It’s a word you use, so, backatcha.

Was he a speechwriter for Agnew? They wrote some real gems.
whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yep.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Tina, you are working hard (and apparently alone) on this Good Friday. Thanks for holding down the fort, and for giving the kids a good “food fight” thread to help them tire themselves out going into the weekend.

HTL on April 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

To get Santorum out of the race by May and begin the campaign against Obama.
Philly on April 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Exactly. But that is too complicated for her to understand. I’ve already made this point a few times today. She keeps coming back and demanding I answer the question. Maybe if we had a storybook with illustrations of ducks nipping at the heels of the protagonist who is trying to defeat the Big Bad Wolf, but is being held back by the ducks from pursuing his task, she’d begin to comprehend.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

These juxtaposed remarks might be some of Mitt Romney’s most brilliant.

I agree. There is a certain level of confidence but, recognizing that Obama was talking about Pennsylvanians when he coined the term “bitter clingers,” there is a certain amount of humility.

BTW, reminding those who live in the Keystone State just what the jug-eared socialist in the White House called them in 2008 would not be a bad part of the GOP strategy for 2012.

Happy Nomad on April 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM