Rick Santorum’s daughter Bella in the hospital again

posted at 2:31 pm on April 6, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Some news just snaps all other news into perspective. The Santorum campaign sent out a statement today requesting prayers and privacy for their family, as their youngest daughter, Bella, is in the hospital.

Hogan Gidley, National Communications Director, said: “Rick and his wife Karen have taken their daughter Bella to the hospital.  The family requests prayers and privacy as Bella works her way to recovery.”

Rick Santorum had already announced a brief hiatus in campaigning. This is the second time this year that Bella, who suffers from a chromosomal condition called Trisomy 18, has had to be hospitalized. In January, she had pneumonia in both of her lungs and spent several days in the ICU.

Bella’s struggle makes me want to just press “Pause.” On a daily basis, we work and play, eat and sleep. It’s usually not until someone is sick that we ponder the precariousness of our lives. It’s worth considering on a regular basis, though. The knowledge that life is short for everyone and thereby especially precious is no excuse to not run for president, build a house, write a book, buy a car, start a company. It should, rather, be an added incentive to embrace life in all its fullness and pursue whatever goals we have with boldness.

But it should also remind us that, if we want to gracefully withstand the daily pressures of life, we have to root ourselves in something transcendent. All political problems and all political solutions are temporal. As T.S. Eliot put, “There is no such thing as a lost cause because there is no such thing as a gained cause. We fight because we know that our defeat and dismay may be the preface to our successors’ victory.”

Rick Santorum’s campaign has illustrated such rootedness. He’s not been discouraged by temporary setbacks because he knows life is about so much more than politics. No doubt Bella reminds him of that daily. Today, she serves as that reminder for me, too.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Santorums this Good Friday. May the weekend bring hopeful developments for little Bella.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hope you realize… Karama is a witch and will come back to bite you in the behind 7 fold.

upinak on April 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I wish you were right, but how do you explain Clenis?

BTW, prayers for Bella.

swinia sutki on April 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

swinia sutki on April 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

wow, how appropriate and on an Easter holiday.

upinak on April 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

my dog got rattlesnake bit. I’m sad and stuff.

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Really sorry to hear. I hope your dog gets well soon.

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

And Passover begins at sunset, but I don’t think we can escape politics on a political website.

thuja on April 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

And again I’ve got to respectfully disagree. Maybe it is because I was born, raised, and live in the DC area but I believe that even when politics are a driving factor; there are times and places when politics are put aside. I’ve seen suspension of politics too many times to abide by the first comment on this thread to be about political strategy- and I’m not talking about faux suspension of politics like when Congress was singing God Bless America on the steps of the Capitol in the aftermath of the 9/11/01 atrocities.

Happy Nomad on April 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

O God, to whom all things grow, and by whom they are strengthened when grown, stretch forth Thy hand upon Thy servant who is sick at a tender age: that recovering the vigor of health, she may arrive at the fullness of years, and always give unto Thee a faithful and grateful service all the days of her life. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

Zorro on April 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I’m well aware, but I’m not running for president.

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

You are an idiot, and all the others who take this opportunity to kick someone around who can’t defend themselves, at a time when they get strength from prayers, and the last thing on there mind is a fight…I can just imagine what a punk you are, cheap shot artist, backstabbing little wuss.

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

we always say leave the kids out of it yet I see some here using the kid to sideload their political thoughts.
sigh.

dmacleo on April 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Rick, I’m very sorry for your daughter. It doesn’t mean I want you as president though. You’re an azzhole.

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

On Good Friday, we have a Bad Liberal posting hate comments.

Look in the mirror DHChron and see the azzhole looking back.

Kini on April 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

My prayers for Rick, his family…and quite frankly, it reminds us of the many others who face these hurdles daily.
Our dearest friends, neighbors, lost their 24 yr. old after decades of illness…the pain, the realization that your daughter may never know the touch of a man, the heartache of breaking up, the joy of making up.

Rick and his family, is just a window for us to view all of the family’s facing the same…and our prayers to him, is just a path to all the others.

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I didn’t really have a problem with theblackcommenter’s post.

Bitter Clinger on April 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Oh my goodness! I am sooo sorry. I really really meant no harm. I can see how some would take it that way. Not at all what I meant. I meant it as a genuine expression of well… I guess I was just thinking if I was in his shoes I would definitely want to quit the campaign to focus on my family and I don’t think anyone would blame him for doing so.

My sincerest apologies to all.

theblackcommenter on April 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Count me among those with no problem with it. It seemed harmless to me, but I don’t automatically take comments people make as negative, unless that person has a tendency to make only negative comments.

mwdiver on April 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Happy Nomad on April 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I fear we are talking past each other. We would almost have to meet to clarify exactly what we are getting at. Anyway, have a blessed weekend!

thuja on April 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Just when I thought commenters couldn’t get any more classless.

Just shuddup and go away. Jerk.

kingsjester on April 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Please..

Everyone..

He apologized for the remarks,.. It’s Easter, if he can man up to having been wrong, and he has been mentioning his pupp for days. about how much it’s been tearing him up…Please..

Please..

Some Christian charity..

I understand that people feel strongly and that not everyone saw the apology..

how many of us, have spoken and then regretted it?

It takes a strength of character to admit error, and most people would just double down on it.. but when he thought about it, he did take it back…

did apologize..

I know people are hurting, are passionate.. I just hope we can not hurt each other just for the sake of it,.. There are bigger concerns.. as some have pointed out.. We should treat each other a little better, at least I hope we can..

DHChron…

how’s your pupp doing?…

better I hope.. you said she might be coming home soon.. and I understand, when you’re hurting inside, sometimes you lash out, even when you really wish you hadn’t.

I hope the girl?.. your pupp is home with you now..

mark81150 on April 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Our thoughts and prayers for the Santorums and especially Bella. They must be one helluva family to stick through all of this together.

DevilsPrinciple on April 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Anyway, have a blessed weekend!

thuja on April 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

You too.

Happy Nomad on April 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Prayers and best wishes for a quick recovery for the Santorums’ daughter.

AZfederalist on April 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

this development provides him a face saving way to drop out of the campaign. He really is someone who “needs to spend more time with the family.”

theblackcommenter on April 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’d call you slime, but that would be an insult to pond scum.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Prayers to the Santorum Family…….may little Bella be home with them soon.

Karla1953 on April 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Neither Rick nor the rest of his family can do anything to help Bella. How is he needed by his family? Why shouldn’t he just campaign if he thinks it advances his causes?

What are HIS causes? He is going nowhere. How is he NEEDED by his family? He can help his child and his family by focusing on THEM. Being there, comforting them, praying together, all of the things that families do to get through tough times.

You seem to think he should let his daughter languish in the hospital while he goes back out on the road. That is not what people who claim to hold deep family values do. The campaign can wait. You go to the hospital and hold that child’s hand to comfort her and let her know she is loved. The little girl is probably very scared, having mom and dad there helps immensely. You people are very odd indeed.

echosyst on April 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

She is such a sweetie!

And that picture of her and her father? That’s what life IS. That time of love, whether or not it lasts forever. They know true life, in all its blessings.

Alana on April 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Have a friend who lost a baby to Trisomy 13; very sad. Wouldn’t wish to see anyone have to bury a child, regardless of political beliefs. Prayers to the Santorum family.

College Prof on April 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I wish the precious little girl and speedy recovery, and hope and pray that those who oppose all conservatives can control their hate and vitriol while the family struggles with its sick child and especially control nasty and hurtful comments about the child.

lukjuj on April 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

My the God of Israel watch over and keep adorable little Bella, AND her family.what a precious, wonderful little girl.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Sending up prayers for this precious child..and a gentle hug for all of the family.

Xango Annie on April 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

This from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Santorum to stay with Bella until Tuesday.

Philly on April 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM