Global Warming wipes out all polar bears except the increasing number of them

posted at 8:30 am on April 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Well, I certainly hope you conservative, Earth hating, pollution and Big Oil loving cretins are happy. You’ve finally killed off all the polar bears. Global warming is not only making the planet hotter and melting the ice caps and leading to women wanting to vote, but it’s wiped out the habitat of one of the gentle giants of the northern climes. Now there won’t be any more polar bears outside of zoos and the planet is a poorer place for it since you…

oh, wait.

Healthy polar bear count confounds doomsayers

The debate about climate change and its impact on polar bears has intensified with the release of a survey that shows the bear population in a key part of northern Canada is far larger than many scientists thought, and might be growing.

The number of bears along the western shore of Hudson Bay, believed to be among the most threatened bear subpopulations, stands at 1,013 and could be even higher, according to the results of an aerial survey released Wednesday by the Government of Nunavut. That’s 66 per cent higher than estimates by other researchers who forecasted the numbers would fall to as low as 610 because of warming temperatures that melt ice faster and ruin bears’ ability to hunt. The Hudson Bay region, which straddles Nunavut and Manitoba, is critical because it’s considered a bellwether for how polar bears are doing elsewhere in the Arctic.

When this story came over the transom, I had a conversation with a friend where we both came to the same speculative conclusion. (Disclosure: I’m not a zoologist. Duh.)

Polar bears have been around for a long time. And with apologies to the “Earth is 6,000 years old” crowd, by ‘long time’ I’m talking a lot longer than people. The planet constantly goes through massive climate change periods, where “constant” means over a period of hundreds of millions or billions of years. There have been ice ages. There have been hothouse periods. The ice sheets have advanced and retreated. And somehow the polar bears marched on.

The fact is, the Earth has been swinging wildly in terms of climate since long before we figured out how to bang the rocks together and make a spark. And the polar bears are still here. Could be that we’re just not giving them enough credit in terms of their ability to adapt and survive as one of the planet’s foremost apex predators. Food for thought, anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Repeat after me: Global Warming is a HOAX! Cap and Trade is a SCAM! Resistance to each is GLORY!

KillerKane on April 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I wish that they would post pictures of polar bears covered in blood, standing over a seal carcass when they write these articles.

JDF123 on April 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

But, but, but ?????

TooTall on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Maybe now I can hunt them from a plane, like Saint Sarah!

WhatNot on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Put Al Gore on an ice flow!

KOOLAID2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

If Al Gore had a son he would look like a polar bear…

PatriotRider on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

99.9% of every species of life that’s ever existed on this planet is now extinct. Polar bears will be too one day, and so will we. Let it go.

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Breaking: Exclusive footage of Koch helicopters airlifting polar bears to Hudson Bay….AGW deniers partner with Big Oil to artificially repopulate bear population…

visions on April 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Once Liberal4Losers punches in to work, I expect this increase to be spun as “a declining decline”.

Algore hardest hit.

WhatNot on April 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Paul Shanklin sings it best -

Ball of Fire

roy_batty on April 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Why do polar bears hate science?

CDeb on April 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM

OT: Economy adds 120,000 jobs in March and the unemployment rate drops to 8.2%.

Meaning more people had to have dropped out of the work force because there’s no way that few new jobs would be able to lower the rate. It’s bad news, but the Democrat/media complex will be in major spin mode this morning.

(BTW, liberal4life, I’m not doing cartwheels here over this report.)

Doughboy on April 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM

WhatNot on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Seriously? Well, she doesn’t have to pay rent, ever…

Fallon on April 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Polar bears are simply hiding the decline.

CDeb on April 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM

did the polar bears not get the memo??

ted c on April 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM

It’s been a bad few months for Coke.

Fallon on April 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM

The bears will adopt to what ever is needed. Some people need to realize that we have had global warming since the last ice age and will probably have another ice age some time in the far future. Also I read that an accurate picture of the ice cap only got started around 1975 or so. I also think that the sea ice advanced further south in the Bering Straits this season than it has in awhile, but we don’t hear much about it.

oldbearak on April 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Actually, as a biologist, I would point out that when environmental stress times occur, you would see an increase in alternate survival strategies and a massive die off of bears that can’t, for a variety of factors, make an adaptation.

Neither of which has happened. In fact, the only thing that seems to be happening is the bears are increasing their hunting ranges, which, as a biologist, seems to tell me that they are increasing in numbers.

Placing polar bears on the ESL was a pure political move and not as a result of ANY serious research. (Seriously, six dead polar bears was all it took to get them listed. They were never necropsied, no population sampling, and no one with any clout seems to want to gainsay the enviro-whackjobs. It is similar to the Mohammad cartoon controversy: Any wildlife biologist who gets even an inkling of press saying that “…maybe things are so bad”, suddenly has research funding dry up and has to teach the 8AM MWF class as well as the TTh 9PM-1045PM class

MunDane68 on April 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

JDF123 on April 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Indeed. The “gentle giants” are about as gentle as their closest relatives, the Alaskan Brown and the Grizzly.

And exactly none of the above “live on the ice”, no matter what the “animal friends” claim. All bears live on land, and only go out onto, or into, the water to hunt. In the polar’s case, their favorite menu items from that particular smorgasbord are fish (naturally) plus harp seals, the younger and more tender the better in the latter case.

Considering how teary-eyed Greenpeacers, etc., get about baby harp seals, their love affair with the bears is one I’ve never understood. But most of them know nothing of the actual “animal world”, only what they have learned in classes on self-actualization at Berkeley.

The only thing they know, for certain, is that they don’t like humans.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Polar bears: stooges for Big Oil.

CDeb on April 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Jazz, I am a zoologist, and I always wondered why there seems to be more press about polar bears disappearing from climate change than there is coverage of the much more likely possibility that we lose rhinos, elephants, orangutans, tigers, etc. in the wild. And I think there is one very likely reason this is so: it’s easier for the West to blame itself about polar bears than the other animals I mentioned.

Why? Well first, the only countries polar bears live in are prosperous northern hemisphere lands: USA, Canada, Russia, Scandanavian countries. So the big white bears are directly under our protection, unlike rhinos and tigers which for all our interest are ultimately dependant on developing lands to look out for them.

But it goes a step farther. If the purported demise of polar bears can be wholly blamed on emissions, then the finger for the declining bears can be pointed entirely at the US and other developed nations since we produce most of the emissions. With animals like elephants, it’s quite different. How can you blame the good old USA for the slaughter of pachyderms when by banning importation of ivory and prosecuting those who bring it into our land as contraband, we’ve done just about everything we can do to help those animals? (To say nothing of the fact that Americans contribute the most money to conservation organizations trying to save the beasts.) Elephants are in decline basically because of things totally out of our western hands–African and Asian countries encroaching on their habitats and killing adults for ivory to sell to nations where laws against it are absent or unenforced.

That’s the magic of the polar bear to some people. It’s the one large endangered mammal that they can totally blame on the USA if it disappears.

radjah shelduck on April 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Maybe now I can hunt them from a plane, like Saint Sarah!

WhatNot on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

That was wolves moron, and it was from helicopters, Palin hunts bears with just her “bare” hands..:)

idesign on April 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

The polar bears “acted stupidly”.
/PBHO

Bitter Clinger on April 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I was in an art gallery last week. OK, this gallery owner I was always sure was a hardcore lib. Things he has said from time to time. Sometime you just know. Anyway, so I’m in there last week and he’s going off about global warming… how much of a joke it is! Then he goes off on energy. Why we aren’t drilling more in America and how crazy Obama is. I am telling you this guy was a lib…. and now it was too much for even him. And here he is in a gallery during business ours going off and not caring who hears him.

I was at the supermarket a few weeks back and I hear two stock boys openly talking about Obama and how crazy he is.

I was in Gettysburg last weekend. The entire city is fuming over what the National Park Service is doing to them. I was in several stores there. One store owner and a customer were engaged in a conversation about whether to spend their money buying more gold or more lead. The owner said.. I think lead is going to be worth more. Go into just about any store down there and ask “Where’s the electric map?” and get ready for rants and spits against the National Park Service.. (in other words.. the Federal government).

I think we do not realize how high the wave is rising against this so called president and the libs in general. The media has a way of covering all the damage but it’s not working so well anymore.

JellyToast on April 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yeah, well how about the, uhhhhh, the uhhhhh, the penguins, or the harp seals, or the tundra blue toes snails…their in trouble I bet…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

BTW: they are NOT the gentle giants of the North. Get within range of one and you’ll likely have the dying realization that- in their world- anything that moves is food. All the touchy-feely pieces on them never show them feeding.

michaelo on April 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

JellyToast on April 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I get the same feelings, and attitudes.
We will win no matter who we selects as our candidate…which this year looks like a good thing, since any other year Mitt would be laughed out of the line up like the last several tries he has made.
But this year, it all lines up for the Republican’s…I say one of the lowest turnout’s for dems in history.

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Easily the best article title I’ve read at hot air. Well played, sir.

JeremiahJohnson on April 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM

All the touchy-feely pieces on them never show them feeding.

michaelo on April 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I have a couple of hunting buddies, you didn’t hunt them alone (this is decades ago when there was actual hunting of polar bears)…it seems the bears tend to hunt you…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Polar Bears are all white, therefore they are racist!

Since they are racist, they are conservatives!

Since they are conservatives, they are climate-deniers!

Since they are climate deniers, they are hiding the evidence that they’re extinct!

Sheesh, do I have to explain everything?

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

On the old PowerLine blog a few years ago, there was this one wacktard named April who believed that if God meant for polar bears to survice there would be a polar bear Jesus…

Never could figure out where she was trying to go with that…

Roy Rogers on April 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

My nine year old niece was telling me all about he dying polar bears…and she learned this from her teacher in Texas! Effin’ Texas!

I corrected her and then I talked to her teacher. Do not indoctrinate my my niece please. Global warming can kiss my beautiful azz.

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

(Sigh) First Kith Olbermann disappoints Al Gore, now the polar bears. You really couldn’t blame Al if he just went home to one of his 10,000 square foot mansions and just sulked all over his big carbon footprint this weekend.

jon1979 on April 6, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Maybe now I can hunt them from a plane, like Saint Sarah!

WhatNot on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Tina Fey, is that you? Talk about your four-year-old false-rumor talking points …

BTW dummy — for the record — it was a predator-control issue with wolves, done by helicopter, not considered hunting, not participated in by Palin, and restricted to small areas.

Also, as Governor in 2008, she had the State of Alaska sue to challenge the recent listing of polar bears as a threatened species. Proven right once again … we relish your tears.

ShainS on April 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Actually, this is not new news. Their population as been growing for years, and recorded as such. This was even true when the Gore made his movie.

Kermit on April 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Why can some interbreeding species produce fertile offspring, while others—like horses and donkeys—cannot?

Actually, I’ve read an article about a fertile mule. Genetic mutations do occur.

rbj on April 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Leftist dream headline:

Global Warming wipes out all polar bears human beings except the increasing number of them

ShainS on April 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

The media has a way of covering up all the damage but it’s not working so well anymore.

JellyToast on April 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

You mean “covering up” the damage. I agree completely; when I read comments from some sites that I would expect to be prØbama I am surprised that, recently, last two or three weeks, I am seeing a lot of anti-Ø, anti-administration comments. People are giving me the impression that they are totally fed up.

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Global Warming causing Polar Bear obesity.

Global Warming bleaching bears.

White animal deniers are eating seals, breed like Republicans.

Aardvark on April 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

The polar bears “acted stupidly”.
/PBHO

Bitter Clinger on April 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

This!

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Global Warming causing Polar Bear obesity.

Global Warming bleaching bears.

White animal deniers are eating seals, breed like Republicans.

Aardvark on April 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Film at 11:00!

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

idesign on April 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Yes, but you have to admit it’d be a blast to light a few polar bears up with an F-16. I’m kidding, I’m kidding. Of course you’d use an A-10.

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Personally, I don’t care if they go extinct.

Blake on April 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

ShainS on April 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Right Again™.

the_nile on April 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Another number, reported by the Canada National Post, for the bears is 2100 in the 3 norther regions. I checked on this last week after seeing an article by a professor in Edmonton. He was pushing the bears are disappearing meme, too. I wish more of them would go out into the wilds and do field studies.

Kissmygrits on April 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

When things get tough on Hudson Bay, they just go down to Churchill and stick up a convenience store.

katy the mean old lady on April 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

more lead.

JellyToast on April 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The government is buying more lead.

davidk on April 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Personally, I don’t care if they go extinct.

Blake on April 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I don’t care if everything goes extinct except middle-aged white American males, but you probably already knew that, didn’t you?

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

In other news, possibly striking down a law passed by the duly elected Congress, like every other law passed by the duly elected Congress that was previous struck down, is now “unprecedented”.

Up is down, black is white.

deadrody on April 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

They’ll just continue lying via Hollywood and the LSM, perpetuating the myth as Truth as far as the sheeple are concerned.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

polar bears

polar freakin’ bears

polar bears

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I don’t get why Polar Bears are the rallying cry here. Wouldn’t little penguins work better? I mean, even Knut only had a few months before we was too threatening looking to be adorable. And the science seems sketchy anyway.

Esthier on April 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Poor algor. Just when you think he’s reached his coolest. He’s still looking for his nadir.

Maybe he needs to team up with Ralph. Yeah, that’s the ticket. He’s gotten his messaging all wrong, so he needs to team up with Mr. Corvair. That’ll get people believing in Man Bear Pig again.

Logus on April 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Esthier on April 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Supposedly all the ice is melting in the North, not the South. And the ozone hole has been shown to cyclically shrink and expand, so that one’s a dud too.

Logus on April 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Hoax? Come on, we know the ice is melting and it spells DOOOOM to many species. How can you ppl live-in a world that is getting hotter by the year and not believe? You can’t deny facts, and the facts world scientists keep telling us is that’s real. Can anyone, and I mean anyone prove me and hundreds of scientists wrong? No you can’t.
Wait what….. you mean there is no way to prove it eather way?
Does that mean no one can prove it?
Ok you ppl win, it’s not getting warmer, it’s getting cooler. Well then can we prove any of this? No well then I’m gonna fill the tank in my big block Chevy and spit as many hydrocarbons into the atmosphere as possible. The he!! With it……..

angrymike on April 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

All of our snow had melted here in NW Montana (elev. 3860′) and we woke up this morning to snow. The ground is white again. This is a heads up Minn.
During archery hunting season, the guys all take a .44mag with them, just in case. Our great bear is protected, too.

Kissmygrits on April 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I guess this means its time for the GOP to renew its War of Arctic Wildlife™.

steebo77 on April 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Male polar bears have been known to eat young polar bear cubs for various reasons.

stukinIL4now on April 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

racial memory

Racial? Are there black polar bears? Hispanic polar bears? Persian polar bears? Asian polar bears?

Besides the fact I have never heard of “racial memory”, perhaps you meant genetic memory? Which is still a rather odd concept in my opinion. We already know that the ice extant of the North Pole varies wildly over the decades. Not sure if polar bears need species memory in order to cope with a regularly occurring phenomena.

NotCoach on April 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

“That’s just one sample and doesn’t indicate anything. Well, yeah we did the same thing but we’re real scientists and…er… there’s a lot more to this science than polar bears. Besides, you’re all lying dupes of big oil and…er…SHUT UP!” – Warmy McDouchebag

RadClown on April 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Logus
Man bear pig…………
that’s funny I don’t care who you are ………….

angrymike on April 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Seals and garbage cans hardest hit.

NoDonkey on April 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Put Al Gore on an ice flow!

KOOLAID2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

With a polar bear?

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I hear they’re even tasty, if slow smoked with Hickory.

kirkill on April 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

polar bears are Al Gore’s problem.

He emits more Carbon dioxide than hundreds of thousands of normal folks.

and STILL the polar bears are just fine. White and beary.

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The government is buying more lead.
[...]

davidk on April 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

450,000,000 over five years for DHS? There must be somebody planning something. 450 million rounds? Maybe it’s a government typo!

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM

AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE…………..

This proves once again that rumors travel much faster than FACTS.

IlonaE on April 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I hear they’re even tasty, if slow smoked with Hickory.

kirkill on April 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Like harp seals…the bigger the brown eyes, the tastier they are…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Yep, doesn’t matter, the world is ending 12/21/12 anyway…party like it’s 2012.

kirkill on April 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

This thread is really great. I think hotair collectively swallowed a clown this morning. More conservatives should be comedians…..or publicly admit it if they are already.

gmbdds on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

stukinIL4now on April 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Male lions will do that too.

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Global warming, even if it happens, will never kill polar bears, although a massive Ice Age could force them to move south.

Polar bears don’t NEED ice and snow to survive–they just tolerate it more easily than other bears.

Polar bears need to eat, and their major food sources (seals, fish, and small land animals) are only available in late spring and summer, when there is open water in the Arctic or Hudson Bay, and/or snow-free tundra grass on which prey can feed. During the long, dark, frozen polar winter, polar bears have nothing to eat, so they hibernate, and cubs gestate in the wombs of pregnant females.

Polar bears are excellent swimmers, and could swim across miles of open water if necessary. In early spring, when sea ice starts to break up, they’ll gladly take a free ride on an ice floe to use as a fishing platform, but later on when there’s open water near shore, they return to shore to prey on seals and fresh-water fish in rivers. In summer, when the land is snow-free, they prey on fresh-water fish and small land animals.

If “global warming” resulted in an earlier springtime melting and/or a later autumn re-freezing, it would lengthen the polar bears’ feeding season, resulting in lots of fat, happy polar bears. Is this what Al Gore wants us to pay trillions of dollars to prevent?

Steve Z on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Male polar bears hunt, kill and eat the young of their own species.

Yet everyone whines and cries about the poor, poor polar bears.

What’s the big fuss, for goodness’ sake? They’re not “smarter than your average bear” if they attempt to eliminate their own kind. Sheesh.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Dr Mitchell Taylor.

This guy has been quite vilified bcs he’s not playing the crazy game.
Another mention of him.

I’ve been watching this man’s research for many years.
But yet, it’s interesting how so many on the AGW fear him.

In my 10th grade biology class, I do a lot of instruction on how to spot accurate & believable scientific information.
We also look into funding ties & how scientific funding happens, along with the peer review process.
Students’ eyes are opened.
I share news stories about AGW with the kids.
I’ve been known to start crying for the ‘animals’ bcs we’re ‘killing’ them.
The students find this very entertaining.
I present both sides. And the kids know my position. But I respect whatever position they come to.
We often have debates.
The kids are pretty smart. At least some of them.
Of course, I do live in a conservative area.

Badger40 on April 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Male lions will do that too.

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Eat polar bear cubs?

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I saw a documentary once about Eskimos and one segment was on hunting polar bears. It was a long time ago and my memory is a little fuzzy but I’m pretty sure it was stressed that they were using a .22 rifle. I’ve always felt that the piece was BS but don’t really have anything to back it up. Never been to Alaska and never seen a polar bear outside a zoo but I’d never even think of hunting one with a .22 rifle. Anyone else ever hear of using a .22 rifle to hunt polar bear?

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Male polar bears hunt, kill and eat the young of their own species.

Yet everyone whines and cries about the poor, poor polar bears.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Male lions will do that too.

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Eat polar bear cubs?

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I’ve been tempted to eat my own cubs a time or two. Mama says NO!

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Best. Headline. Ever.

Caiwyn on April 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE…………..

This proves once again that rumors travel much faster than FACTS.

IlonaE on April 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Depending upon who exactly you’re quoting, don’t forget the rest of the line. From President James Garfield, “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.”

Logus on April 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Anyone else ever hear of using a .22 rifle to hunt polar bear?

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

You use the .22 to shoot a young, succulent baby seal, then wait until a polar bear wanders along to eat it and you hit the bear with an RPG.

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Was it about Eskimos that historically hunted polar bears? What did they use before they had rifles? I can’t imagine a .22 is a step down from a spear.

NotCoach on April 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Now that’s my kind of huntin’ there but I’d just take off and nuke ‘em from orbit. Only way to be sure :-)

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Might be overkill, but I like your thinking!

Anything less than 7.62mm would be suicide!

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Eat polar bear cubs?

Trafalgar on April 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

If available yes, yes they do!

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

NotCoach on April 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Not that I recall, like I said it was decades ago that I saw the thing. The .22 thing just stuck with me. Historically didn’t they use a piece of some springy substance (baleen?) coiled tightly and secured with something that would dissolve in the bear’s stomach. They’d insert this thing into a piece of seal meat then leave it out as bait. Bear would eat it and then the gizmo would unwind in the bears insides and tear it up causing it to die from internal injuries. I think I read something like that anyway.

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

It’s just easier to count white bears now that all the ice has melted. There are fewer bears, we’re just seeing more of them, and it’s all because of your SUV!

forest on April 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Do you suppose they have some sort of racial memory of warmer times before? Is it possible that they’ve seen this movie before, and when they can’t hunt for seals through holes in the ice, they switched to hunting from shore? Do they generally move south when it gets warm and cross breed with other bears to keep the line going? Jazz

I believe this is what’s called, um, Natural Selection or some such stuff, where those who are best able to survive, well, do. Interesting how the Lefties believe this as far as school goes by advocating the teaching of evolution, but attempt to make everyone equal by playing ‘god’ and legislating an even playing field. Perhaps Pelosi et al can introduce legislation to level the ice sheet competition for those bears that find themselves unable to eat.

Jazz

THIS is the point! The idea of ‘constant’ being confined to a few decades is a criminally narrow view with regard to ‘climate.’ Add a few years more and things start to look less like a hockey stick. But that won’t prove ‘changers’ point.

TinMan13 on April 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Anyone else ever hear of using a .22 rifle to hunt polar bear?

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

No, but 22 are often underrated, they can do some damage…reminds me of the Lewis and Clark expedition, when they ran across their first grizzly, they fired their muskets, and the ball bounced off the skull, imagine the shock of that…it would take 8 to 12 musket balls to bring down the bear.

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

A year ago today, NASA presented information from their satellites orbiting the earth that could be used in debunking the fear merchants’ claims of global warming. Information suggesting the polar bear population is increasing is just another among multiple reasons that climate change is far from being established as fact.

volsense on April 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Global warming believers portray nature as fragile and always on the verge of collapse. The truth is that plants and animals adapt, and populations move to areas that are more suitable for them.

If the nature defenders want to spend their time in a productive manner, they should focus on saving the Amazon, not saving polar bears.

hawksruleva on April 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

No, but 22 are often underrated, they can do some damage…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

True. I didn’t think that you couldn’t kill a polar bear with a .22 rifle. The problem was getting it to die before it chased you down and ripped you to shreds.

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Polar Bears are all white, therefore they are racist!

Since they are racist, they are conservatives!

The Honey Badger on April 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

And they won’t be able to buy a roast beef sandwich at Arby’s.

(P.S. Jazz — Best headline ever!)

PatriotGal2257 on April 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Oldnuke on April 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yeah, I don’t know. This paper describes how a polar bear was killed with a single .243 round in an Inuit hunt. But it was what they did before that round was fired that was key. They harassed the bear with dogs and snowmobiles until it was tired and stationary.

NotCoach on April 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM

NotCoach on April 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Spears can do a lot of damage. It’s just a lot less safe, because you’re so much closer.

Making spears would be my first order of business in the zombie apocalyps, though. They’re re-usable, and a lot quieter than guns.

hawksruleva on April 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

This whole “endangered polar bear” nonsense is just the latest exhibition of silliness displayed by urban and suburban types who really believe wild animals are all cute Walt Disney characters. They honestly think deer are like Bambi, rabbits are like Thumper, coyotes are lovable doofuses like Wily Coyote, skunks are like Pepe Le Pew, etc. Now its Freddy the Furry Polar Bear, apparently. It’s hard to believe that anyone over age eight could be so deluded, but they are; they are cartoon heroes of their own Enviro Comix fantasies.

(Except for fast food, where most of these types don’t hestitate to dine on Elsie the Cow at McDonalds, or Henny Penny at KFC.)

Scriptor on April 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

TinMan13 on April 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

These sorts of people are interesting.
They advocate all sorts of awful things like killing unfit babies in the womb, assisted suicide of old & sick people, policies that end up killing people in order to ‘save’ the Earth, etc.
In reality, pure Libertarianism might be construed as pretty harsh in this way bcs it leaves the person to their own devices.
I say this in reference to the Federal Govt’s role in assisting its citizens.
And that is the point. The Fed is only a framework, a voice for all of the states combined relating to only certain issues.
The rest of the goody two shoes social stuff is left up to the individual states & local communities.
Enviro nutbags know nothing about nature. They’ve never taken the time to be part of it or really watch it objectively.
If the polar bear, or any other species cannot survive climate change, then it doesn’t matter how you help them. They will die.

I find the policies in some govt agencies about killing certain species to save another humorous.
Unless we truly are the cause of a species’ demise, what right do we have to decide what lives & dies in a natural competitive situation?

Badger40 on April 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Back a long time ago, in another era, or in late June of 1968 to be exact, I was pondering the rocks in an outcrop on a ridge high above a major river, far above the arctic circle and west of Hudson Bay. Then down below I saw a polar bear walking up river along it’s bank. The bear was very large, and very yellowed from it’s advanced age. It was following the migration of arctic grayling, one of it’s favorite foods. The bear was 80 miles inland from the arctic ocean’s coast.

I gathered from the Inuit that they had seen them much further south than that.

Further to the other discussion, Inuit used whatever they could get. Many had hunted bear, both polar and barren-land grizzly, with the 30-30, and yes, even with the .22.

Yoop on April 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Whew… and I thought they wouldn’t be able to do those cute “Coca Cola Christmas” ads anymore.

princetrumpet on April 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM

michaelo on April 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

But…but…I saw a car commercial where one hugged a man!!

Bitter Clinger on April 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Jazz,
With this article you might have single-handedly caused Al Gore’s head to explode. While I doubt that will happen (his cranium IS made of cement), I do have one thing to say to him:
“Kiss our grits, SUCKER!!!!!!”

RadioAngel on April 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM