Ann Romney adds warmth to the Romney campaign in new web ad

posted at 6:21 pm on April 6, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Whoever had the idea to utilize Ann Romney more on the campaign trail deserves to be richly rewarded. It might be obvious that her sudden visibility is aimed partly to bridge Mitt’s gender gap, but she really does bring their family alive in a way Mitt just hasn’t yet. In this web video, she does it as explicitly as can be — and it still works:

Warmth, the ability to connect on a personal level, an ability to tell stories and not just solve problems: Ann has the traits that Mitt so conspicuously lacks on the campaign trail. More insight into her does help to explain his success up to this point. I’d venture to guess he’d say he couldn’t have made it to where he is today without her — and that that would be true.

Like the news of Bella Santorum’s hospitalization, Ann Romney’s wistful remembrances of her sons’ childhood remind me of the inexorability of time. I can think of quite a few moms who would say just what Ann says at the start of the video.

“Even then you knew that these moments would be fleeting, but you didn’t really believe it because you were so in the moment of living with those boys,” she said. “It was pretty chaotic, and a lot of fun, but they were great times.”

Better use today well because tomorrow will be here before we know it!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I get it ebrown2, you feel disenfranchised because your candidate didn’t win or your worst nightmare “The Inevitable One also known as Teh Romney” is your parties candidate.

Get over and it, and just like I told your “partners in negativity”, quit puking everywhere. It’s unbecoming for someone of your “caliber”.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

My candidate is OBAMA – and sure, he’ll destroy this nation (but no worse than Willard would) … and, at least I’ll get the satisfaction of watching him obliterate another McDole in November (Willard).

HondaV65 on April 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

..man, have you gone off the reservation. Some of your sub-mates musta fed you too much of their torpedo juice during your last hitch. You ought to really stand down, chief.

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

No, the country lost. I long ago gave up hope in an electoral solution to America’s looming crises, and your foolish trust in a lightweight like Mitt only confirms it.

As for “losing minds,” I’m not the one rewriting history to make Reagan a Rockefeller Republican and minimizing the Giffords backlash, to name two Orwellian idiocies peddled by Mittbots here at HA.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

So you’ll be voting for the Teleprompter Tyrant too?

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Not to be disputatious, but I disagree, ma’am. I think they rolled out this add to make a dent in the so-called women-deficit that some of the bogus polls showed last week. Honda and the rest of the miscreants notwithstanding, I believe Ann Romney may well be a very potent weapon versus The Chicago Jesus and their thugocracy.
The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I don’t disagree at all that Ann is a potent weapon. I just don’t think telling stories about “pranks” is the best way to convey the intended message.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Let’s try that again with blockquotes:

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

HondaV65 on April 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

This is from somebody who loudly claims to be “conservative”. Don’t so quickly believe everybody that claims to be conservative.

Swerve22 on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So you’ll be voting for the Teleprompter Tyrant too?
JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

She says she’s “given up hope in an electoral solution” so it sounds like dictatorships are teh cool solution.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Good nite all!

Bmore is right that the moon tonight is EXTREMELY bright in the Hindu Kush…messes with the NVG’s…actually almost don’t need them.

g2825m on April 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM

..same as Jersey Taxpayer: stay safe and God bless you for your service, old son!

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

\

Yet Romney has done more volunteer work and donated more money to charitable causes than Obama would in 10 lifetimes.

Don’t you love being a dirty prog?

Swerve22 on April 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I liked the vid. Did it bring me any closer to believing that Mitt’s a conservative? No.

However, I’d be more inclined to give him a chance to govern as one. Only time will tell.

The alternative is destruction.

I never choose destruction, unlike that honda person.

jersey taxpayer on April 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

..I got your meaning.

And, man, are the charmers out tonight or what? Got your back, Danish. As usual, you’re in good form.

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

blah blah blah… military service is neither required nor expected to hold public office. Besides that, Romney is a general of sorts anyway… There is no difference, except in risk of life and limb, between being the leader of a company and being a leader in the military.

They are both fundamentally about leading and being in charge of a team of individuals who are intent on accomplishing a goal.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Good to see you..I hope things are well with you..:)

Dire Straits on April 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I am so tired of reading your liberal talking points and attacks…why don’t you hang over at huffo or democratic underground.

Your condescending remarks and obvious lack of intelligence lowers the standards of this site.

Redford on April 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

If only they were wannabe Communist Revolutionaries like Teh O. Or the real thing like Che’. Not to mention that great role model Billy Ayers and his darling wife. It’s a darned shame./

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Don’t worry, there won’t be any schadenfreude coming from this corner come November other than stating the obvious “I told you so.” The re-election of Obama due to the fact that you pushed a known chronic political incompetent and backstabber to the nomination will be a depressing enough prospect, thank you.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Save that one Buy Danish! ;-)

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

*Shrug* If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. It’s logically possible for Mittens to win, especially given the massive Kinsley gaffes coming from Oliar and his administration recently. Romney’s character and political history strongly mitigate against that, however. Even if he “wins” the election, he’s campaigning on a platform of moral cowardice and refusal to look reality in the eye. I have no confidence that he won’t “cut and run” once in office just like he did as governor of MA.

My larger point is this, the mechanisms of voting and the way our government is organized will not allow us to get out of our problems by mere electoral action.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

So what? I must ask, since I don’t know your age, are you familiar with presidential history?

Let’s start here–are you familiar with U.S. history?

jersey taxpayer on April 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

The Romney hating “true conservatives” expect some kind of massage, tongue bath and tug-off to get their support. The rest of us have long ago decided to hold true to ABO and will carry through. We said it and we meant it.

None of this has anything at all to do with Romney. When “Obama Unleashed” is re-elected you will have yourselves to blame. The “It’s on!” candidate will make us all pay for your mistake.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I watched members of my family fight the commies for their freedom. I really don’t understand this defeatist attitude.

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

So you’ll be voting for the Teleprompter Tyrant too?

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

No, I don’t ask the government to put a gun to the head of my fellow citizens and command them to do my bidding, and Honda’s grossly wrong in thinking that voting for Obama is any kind of appropriate action.

There’s going to have to be a massive pro-liberty civil disobedience and education effort to even roll back the entitlement culture and “magic money” mentality. Whether that’s going to happen is, as they say, another story.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

HondaV65 on April 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

wow.just.wow!!..:(

Dire Straits on April 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

It’s the fairest election system around, and when the choice is between what we currently have in the oval office, and someone who has actually led in the private and public sector before running for POTUS, to me the choice is clear.

There is a very clear distinction between the two men and to act otherwise is, how did you put it, a refusal to look reality in the eye?

All the talk against him is biased opinion. The guy has a proven track record of conservative ideals. YOUR problem is that your version of conservative doesn’t line up with his. Work WITH him to keep him honest, as we always should no matter WHAT your political persuasion.

I write my congressman all the time and sign petitions to express what me and others who’ve signed said same petitions wish for our reps to represent when in office. I don’t just vote and hope, trust but verify, and punish when they step out of line.

Get OVER it. Work WITH us to get Obama out of the Oval Office.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I recommend you all download the iTunes (iOS/iPhone/iPod/iPad) app “Mitt Romney Top Conservative”.

It puts all the latest Romney-related news in once place, and you’ll have all these campaign videos like this “family” one in one place when they come out.

I use the app and read the articles while on the elliptical at the gym at night. It makes the time go fast!

bluegill on April 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I hear you. My favorite conservatives are former lefties and people who suffered under Communist rule. It must be maddening and cause great anguish to hear these damn fools spout off. Methinks they’re just a bunch of spoiled brats who are the right wing version of lefties – authoritarians who want things to be their way or the highway. It’s just a different manifesto.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

With all due respect, did they -vote- the communists out? No, they didn’t.

Statism in this country was accomplished, not at the point of an invader’s gun as in your home country, but by the slow accumulation of cod-Marxist movement of the the cultural and political zeitgeist away from liberty to government freebees and a mentality of dependence. That has to be reversed, and, unlike the statists who had the luxury of parasitizing a healthy and free country, advocates of liberty are now faced with the bill coming due for the folly of compromising with this kind of evil, a folly that Mitt Romney has engaged in his whole political life. There is not the slightest evidence that Romney understands or cares to understand the nature of the problem.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

While I agree with your last point in that one election won’t ‘do it,’ i WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with your first point.

Romney will be the nominee. There will be no brokered convention. Are you insinuating that rather than vote for someone “else” and have the chance at a new potus, you’ll just stay home?

Geez, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

jersey taxpayer on April 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I see this as a fight against evil (Satan).

God will win in the end.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM

The “It’s on!” candidate will make us all pay for your mistake.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

translation?

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Get OVER it. Work WITH us to get Obama out of the Oval Office.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

And then what? Put Romney, McConnell and Boehner in power and watch a repeat of 2002-2006? That’s your solution? You don’t seem to understand what’s really going on.

Remember when Sanctimonious Sweater-Vest said the other day that losing the election in 2006 was a “blessing?” It certainly was, because he was then free to become a full-time pork sucking member of the bureaucratic state, unencumbered by the scrutiny that an elected politician undergoes. Nelson of Nebraska is thinking the same thought right now.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I see this as a fight against evil (Satan).

God will win in the end.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Don’t get religious bro. Why would a god set up a “system” with a antagonist who never had a chance at winning?

If god is all powerful, what chance did Satan EVER have at winning?

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Is Ann still a Planned Parenthood supporter?

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

My candidate is OBAMA
HondaV65 on April 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Ah, that explains everything. You got yourself lost on the internets. Allow me to assist you:

Watch out for that door, now.

whatcat on April 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Well, it’s time for me to knock off.

Quite apparent that L4L chick can’t/doesn’t have an answer to my last question. As a small biz owner, I don’t have time or patience for those not paying attention.

In any event, I wish all of you a great weekend and a very happy and blessed Easter.

In friendship,
Jt

jersey taxpayer on April 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Good god (wo)man! It’s not perfect, nothing ever is, or will be, but we do what we can.

No country in the last 236 years has come up with a system better than ours. They’ve taken portions and made them better in some respects, but they’ve been deficient on other aspects.

Get positive! Get up! Do what you can within the system we have, and if you want to change something about the system to make it better, reason it out and people will follow it.

This is life.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

If god is all powerful, what chance did Satan EVER have at winning?

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

God started this Country and the founders gave him the credit.

Satan feels every day he is winning the war. He does not believe he will lose in the end.

We all learn by this Earth experience. That is our gain.

God will win in the end. But no we will never understand GOD.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Geez, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

jersey taxpayer on April 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

That’s right, Romney WILL be the nominee. That means that there is not going to be any serious attempt to address the fundamental problems of the country, AND, given Romney’s manifest history of failure as a politician, he’s got a very good chance of booting the election from the get-go.

Once again, voting is not an act that does anything in the absence of advocating a culture of responsible liberty in everyday life, a point repeatedly made by the Founding Fathers. It’s perfectly possible to have a “vote” in the most repressive countries. Like I said before, only a massive campaign of civil disobedience and education will possibly have a chance to stop this juggernaut before it goes any farther.

I know that there are some folks who throw around the word “samizdat” without understanding what it -really- entails, and I don’t make any pretenses of being a “great hero of liberty.” You want to know what the real solution is, that’s it. Let’s hope that there are enough people to make it work.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

God started this Country and the founders gave him the credit.

We all learn by this Earth experience. That is our gain.

God will win in the end. But no we will never understand GOD.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The ideas that the founders based our form of government on were heavily influenced by Hume’s writings in that piece.

God will win in the end because it’s HIS game. The rules are fixed in his favor. I’d rather not be a toy in some god’s game thank you very much.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Where to begin with this manifesto spouting sophomore?

Has anyone ever told you you sound like a character in a Woody Allen movie? Like the vacuous chics he meets at art galleries and stuff?

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

This is life.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

SK537, the -system- itself is corrupted. The politicians no longer fear the consequences of electoral defeat in the state of bureaucratic self-reward for the political class. Had Murkowski (to take one excellent example) failed in her chicanery to get elected Senator as an independent, she would have taken the lobbyist route and enriched herself, with a possible chance for re-entry later.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Like I said, it didn’t do anything for me and I have four kids in their twenties. And yes, I’d do anything to visit the past and have them little again. It just didn’t change my mind about Mitt. I don’t buy the fun-loving, merry prankster Mitt, though I do not doubt they have a very loving family.

Fallon on April 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Thank you Fallon, wish you could have been here for the moon. Lovely, just lovely.

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Where to begin with this manifesto spouting sophomore?

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And I could reply, with truth and justice, that you’re acting like a Republican iteration of Joy Behar, only with less politesse and erudition, right down to the fact that you even have my -sex- wrong. Woody was at least able to cite counter-arguments in his movies, but you even fail at that. Were the Founding Fathers “fascist?” They ultimately came to the conclusion that working through the current political system was a non-starter.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

JPeterman

Gotta run. Before I go, are you familiar with Balint Vazsonyi, author of America’s Thirty Years War? I recall seeing him years ago on CSPAN or something and he was so impressive. Such an avuncular, wise, gentle man…

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

You a stargazer? I am. Have an 11 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope (CPC 1100 XLT w/ Goto technology) that really brings the moon closer, but when it’s full like it is right now it’s blinding even with filters in place and it kills your viewing of galaxies and such.

When the moons at half or less it’s phenomenal and you can see craters insides of craters inside of craters.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I am, I’m lucky where we live deep in the forrest in the mountains. Its very dark, I want to purchase one of these. I have a nice place for the building to house it in. Now I just have one of these. In a perfect world where money was no object I would gladly go this route. Tonight I didn’t even bother with the telescope we just sat and enjoyed the low tech way. It was lovely.

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, right. The ‘bots are firmly “ABO” now. Of course, ABO has always really meant “it HAS to be Romney”. Two, three, four months ago these preachers of ABO!!!!!! were too busy tearing down whatever competition to Romney was springing up. And leaving a lot of bad blood on the floor in the process.

Where to begin with this manifesto spouting sophomore?

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Haven’t you used that line something like 4,328 times here already? Can you EVER do anything but spout of some idiotic ad hominem? Of course not.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Balint Vazsonyi:

“We advocate and practice discussion of national issues as they relate to America’s founding principles. For continued success, we believe this nation needs to return to the Rule of Law, Individual Rights, the Security of Property, and the same American Identity for all its citizens.” Dr. Vassonyi clear recognized what was taking place in America as time progressed: the creation of commissar positions in America acquired the dimensions of a growth industry. The avalanche began with affirmative action officers, equal opportunity officers, judicial inquiry officers, and civil rights divisions. These positions exist for the sole purpose of enforcing a political agenda – an occupation at odds with the very nature of America. Certain college and university departments – departments of education, of communications, of journalism, social studies, and urban planning-became the reliable producers of commissars. Law schools, too, began to churn out graduates trained to serve a specific political agenda, rather than jurisprudence. Soon, entire government departments were created to function as Commissariats, such as the Department of Education, Health and Human Services, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Energy, and the Department of Commerce. Several other federal agencies, such as the National Endowment for the Arts, and its sister outfit, for the Humanities, fall into the same category. All these agencies offer services people find useful, and employ many capable professionals along with commissars. But they are of the same cloth, for they provide a platform for commissars, lack constitutional legitimacy, and are virtually immune to citizen complaints. Eventually, commissar types found their way into legislatures, the Supreme Court, and the White House. The recent acquisition of the Department of justice as a commissariat, and the growing multitude of commissar judges on federal benches, complete this massive force whose effectiveness – unlike the armies and submarines of the Third Reich or the ICBMs of the Soviet Union – has proved a match for America’s awesome industrial, financial, and spiritual strength.” ~Balint Vasonyi, America’s Thirty years War: Who is Winning (1998)

An excellent analysis, I’ll have to get and read the book.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

*spout OFF…before the pearl-clutcher leaps on that as proof of my GED status or something or other.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Good to see you..I hope things are well with you..:)

Dire Straits on April 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

..feelin’ all right, old son! How ’bout you!

Still love them riffs, Mark!

;-)

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Where do you live that it’s dark enough to watch the moon rise right now? It’s broad daylight here in Georgia.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I had to prepare supper to take and libations. I’ll make you a deal Buy Danish, I’ll tell you which county if you tell me which county. Deal?

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Where to begin with this manifesto spouting sophomore?

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Apparently not.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

The “It’s on!” candidate will make us all pay for your mistake.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

translation?

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

“Vote for Romney, you puke, or have the decency to go die in a fire!!!!!”

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

g2825m on April 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Good Night g2825m, it was absolutely lovely. Hope you were able to enjoy!
Your disagreeable friend. ; )

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Theological BS Steve. The Constitution is based on the writings of an agnostic atheist, David Hume. The Idea of a more Perfect Commonwealth.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Only partly, and mainly to answer Montesquieu’s observation (which had become dogma) that a republic could only “work” in a relatively small territory. The Constitution was also based on the ideas of John Locke, who wasn’t an “agnostic atheist”. Based also on the British constitution.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Apparently not.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Although, in all fairness, the author recommendation is excellent. The 1-star reviews are a real selling point:

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

You have no choice about being alive you are alive.

God created this planet.

Satan chose his part. He could have just followed God but rebelled.

But God is Eternal and will always win in the end.

Satan will be happier not under Gods plan and that is his choice. If you choose to be with him that is your choice and valid.

I pray you choose Gods side.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I would add to that that Hume’s observations on faction and how to control it was a guiding factor in Madison’s thinking, particularly in the Tenth Federalist, but since this particular line of thought had nothing to do with “agnostic atheism” or any other theological outlook, it’s irrelevant to bring it up.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Ah, a Hungarian. Sorry I’ve never heard of him but I just bought his book. Thanks.

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Buy Danish on April 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

..ya’all know where Phinizy, GA is? Hint: lookit close to Augusta.

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

My local library has it, I’ll see if I can get it this weekend.

You might also try The Empire of Reason: How Europe Imagined and America Realized the Enlightenment by Henry Steele Commager:

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Des sum I do. Y’all outta thata way?

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Interesting. I just found this.

Do not laugh, we were not taught the history of our country or region.

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Depicting the United States as a totalitarian country is an insult to the victims of real dictatorships.

If you want to get your ideas across, write a book or articles, make a movie, create a blog, launch a new party. In America you can do a thousand things you would be jailed or even killed for in a real dictatorship.

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

They can’t touch her (or so you would think) because of her MS and imagine how her graciousness and soft tone will stack up against the grasping and clawing, hard-edged selfishness of The Mooch?

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Don’t underestimate the Obama Machine. They can point to the Romney’s wealth which enables Anne Romney to get the best healthcare available.

(Picture the President on the campaign trail bringing out a person with MS unable to pay for healthcare.) Obama will state that he based Obamacare on Romneycare to help the person he used as a prop get the healthcare he or she needs.

RedRobin145 on April 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

You know why? Because you can’t vote a king out. The American Revolution wouldn’t have happened if the Founding Fathers would have been able to vote for a better king.

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I agree with you, that’s why I objected to the casual use of the term “samizdat.” We are not yet a totalitarian country, but our government has devolved by slow degrees into a corrupt bureaucratic state, which is the precursor to the true loss of freedom in a totalitarian regime. It is this movement by degrees that has to be stopped, and I no longer have confidence that electoral mechanisms alone will do this.

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Yes, because of the institutional memory of classical liberalism, the political doctrine of the Founding Fathers, a memory that is fading fast due to the pork-scarfing cowardice of the Republicans and the outright leftist demagogues of the Democrats. Once again, I’m not disagreeing with you, quite the contrary.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM

The “It’s on!” candidate will make us all pay for your mistake.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

translation?

james23 on April 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Oh, you don’t know about “It’s on?”. This is the attitude we have to look forward to:

“It’s on!”

More.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The issue wasn’t so much with George III, as with his ministers. George was the English king who began the intentional devolution of royal powers that gave rise to modern English parliamentary government. Even then, their governance over the-then colonies was, on the whole, less intrusive for the vast majority of subjects than our own government bureaucracy today.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Interesting. I just found this.

Do not laugh, we were not taught the history of our country or region.

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’m not at all surprised, I know that the GDR engaged in massive scrubbing of history about the Holocaust on the grounds that “the German proletariat” were “victims” as well.

ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

bluegill on April 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Nuh uh.

Rusty Allen on April 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

You have no choice about being alive you are alive.

God created this planet.

Satan chose his part. He could have just followed God but rebelled.

But God is Eternal and will always win in the end.

I pray you choose Gods side.

Steveangell on April 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

What if you chose wrong Steve? What if Allah is the one true god? I’m sure you’ll have all manner of justifications for why Allah isn’t true, but you do realize that they use the same justifications that you do to discount YOUR god, right?

So what if you chose wrong?

The REAL answer is that none of them are right, AND they’re all the wrong god.

God doesn’t pick favorites tribes, and if god can show YOUR tribe that he’s the real god, why is he so unable to show all the others that he’s the real god as well.

Get off the juice man, use your brain, quit being a sheep and start being a human.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Let me give you a piece of advice, go bigger than you want. You know now that you wish you would have bought up when you bought that 6 inch, STILL a good telescope, but you want to reach farther now don’t you? You want better resolution, etc…

When I finally decided to dive in and buy one, I tried to think ahead a little and went with the CPC 1100 because I already knew that I enjoyed looking at the stars from seeing through other’s telescopes…

I didn’t want to buy one of the cheaper ones and then regret it but still have spent all that money on it so I looked at the next level up and then went one level above that to get the CPC-1100. I figured I would have eventually gotten there and so parlayed all the money for the lesser ones into what I got.

I LOVE the scope but I know the desire to have one of those 20 inchers… Go with a Dobsonian for those sized scopes… That Meade Max is a behemoth and would require a constant location for set up almost. Of course, if you have the location for it and can build around it, by all means, go for it!

They start getting exponentially more expensive above the 11, and more delicate as well meaning as little transport here and there as possible.

The 11 inch is the best price point I think and the most ready and capable for novice viewers yet also advanced enough that you can do a lot more.

I’m about $7,000 or so in the hole so far… Have Denkmeier binocular viewer, an 80mm APO Explore Scientific piggy backed on the CPC and all the dew heaters and laptop to hook up to the scope and control it’s movement. It’s so damn fun and I have some really good shots of M22, M51, and tried to capture the recent supernova in M101 (Pinwheel Galaxy) but had bad viewing conditions that whole two weeks or so.

It’s a great hobby! Keep looking up!

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Des sum I do. Y’all outta thata way?

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

..fam (same name) came from dere. As Ed would say, it be de home o’ de ancestral manse.

Good to know you and B.D. hail from there. I threatened to retire in S.C. — from SoCal — as it is the closest thing to the ocean and the old days here in L.A. when the good tikes were good.

Still woikin’ on it.

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

It’s a great hobby! Keep looking up!

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

..late to the dance on this conversation, Bmore, but this guy knows what he’s talking about. It’s a great pastime. But if you get bored of that and want to take up ham radio, I can hep you out there.

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

5 boys and none with military experience.

Aint that great?

liberal4life on April 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

This is a point that, while worth making, is not one that advances Obama vis a vis Romney one iota. Neither Obama, nor any close relative, nor any family member of his wife Moochelle (despite her great “love” for the military, have actually served). Obama seemed to think that having relatives (white) who served in WWII when we had millions serving, was some kind of stellar achievement. Most of us can look at our family history and see many members serving in WWII and the Civil War, which had huge mobilizations.

Still, it’s notable that none of Romney’s sons have apparently even thought of serving. For me, this was actually important during our primary and why I supported Jon Huntsman. Like Romney, he is a very wealthy Mormon, but somehow both of his sons are at the naval academy in Annapolis pursuing careers in the Navy — where most of the action, whatever it is in our future, will take place — the South China Sea or the Straits of Hormuz. Somehow Huntsman conveyed to his sons the importance of serving, and Romney didn’t.

(And don’t give me any chickenhawk crap, Huntsman, like Obama was too young for Vietnam).

If I were Romney (or Romney’s people) I would recognize that Romney doesn’t have an automatic connection to the military, as both Bushes did. He needs to work much harder at it, especially since the next President will face huge foreign policy problems thanks to Obama’s disastrous failures, probably conflicts with Iran and/or china.

As for this ad — at least republicans have the brains to understand that much of Obama’s appeal is his stellar good looks, poise, athletic grace, and his obvious happiness as a family man.

Romney basically equals or trumps that family appeal. That’s what the ad is about, and it does the job.

str8tface on April 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yeah, I get a real warm feeling knowing that Ann Romney has been a financial supporter of Planned Parenthood and that Mitt Romney until a few years ago was adamantly pro-abortion rights.

Phil Byler on April 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Phil Byler on April 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

You should get over it. Abortion, both planned ones and ones that come as a result of natural means, have been around for eons.

I’m personally against them myself and have never asked a woman to do so, nor would I want to, but bringing a life into this world is a big responsibility and people should have the right to plan out their lives as they see fit.

It’s obviously not an easy thing to deal with but sometimes people aren’t ready for that responsibility.

Why would you force a responsibility on someone who isn’t ready to handle it? What about that teen who goes through with having the baby because of some indiscretions and has her own growth stunted as a result.

Isn’t it a good thing to grow completely first and THEN have children, so that you’re ready for it? So that you’re mature enough to handle the responsibility and can be better prepared to raise a good child in the process? What happens more often though? They have the baby and go on welfare because both parents aren’t able to deal with it and end up divorcing/never marrying and screwing up another life in the process.

Look, obviously people should take responsibility for their actions and if you’re not ready for children don’t have unprotected sex, but crap happens, condoms break, girls forget to take pills, whatever.

It just seems to me that the far right’s obsession with abortion is more than a little bit counter-productive and off-putting to people. The obsession with sex is a bit much to take sometimes.

I know, a life is a life, and I’m against it personally, but whether you want it or not it’s going to be a reality for mankind. Let’s keep them (abortions) out of the hands of back alley doctors and have them done so that the mother’s life isn’t put into near as much jeopardy.

I’m just saying…

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM

It’d be nice to have a FLOTUS who doesn’t dress like a ho-bag at a children’s TV award show.

the_souse on April 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

the_souse on April 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Ditto

SauerKraut537 on April 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Still woikin’ on it.

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

SC coast is sweet.

Bmore on April 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Gelsomina on April 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Not quite. The American Revolution wouldn’t have happened if the British had been a little more farsighted and faced the fact that the states were already autonomous. They could’ve kept the Empire together had they adopted a “Commonwealth” attitude a couple of centuries earlier than they did.

ddrintn on April 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Get OVER it. Work WITH us to get Obama out of the Oval Office.

SauerKraut537 on April 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Not enough.

Dunedainn on April 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

An excellent analysis, I’ll have to get and read the book.
ebrown2 on April 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Yes, it’s a prescient description of the Obama Administration and the insidious Marxist infiltration of our institutions. Let’s vote him and his comrades in the Dem Party out, okay? We have a Constitution which our founders did not have when they chose revolution or whatever the heck it is you’re advocating.

Bmore on April 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I don’t even say where I live on facebook. I’m not looking for your exact location! I assumed you were living in the USA, but perhaps I assumed wrong. Maybe you are in the Hindu Kush mountains with our friend.

JPeterman on April 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Have to run out again. If you can find any vids of interviews with him on You Tube you’ll be well-rewarded.

Buy Danish on April 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

The War Planner on April 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

By the way, why do so many Romney fans have trouble making sense? Team ROmney rolled out this poll to “put a dent” in poll numbers which are “bogus” anyway? LOL This is exactly like the “Romney has the nomination sewn up but he’s going to have to keep spending money to bury that SOB Santorum anyway!!!!” line of “reasoning”.

ddrintn on April 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

* this ad, by the way, not this “poll”…just so I don’t sound quite as nonsensical.

ddrintn on April 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Quick question though: all those polls over the past 2-3 years on which Romney’s “electability” aura was built: were they likewise “bogus”?

ddrintn on April 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

To SauerKraut537 re your post at on April 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM:

What am I suppose to get over? My pro-life views? My opposition to abortion? My distaste for Planned Parenthood as an abortion provider? No, I won’t. I am on the correct side of a moral issue. You should be required to view a sonogram when you rationalize about abortion and disparage being against abortion.

Also, in your rambling post, SauerKraut537, you categorize being pro-life as “far right.” It isn’t.

One concern (of many concerns)I have about Romney is that he is just talking the pro-life viewpoiont, that he doesn’t really believe it; and thus, if he were ever elected, he would not fight the political pressures to provide a needed pro-life presence in the White House like Ronald Reagan and GW Bush did.

Phil Byler on April 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

To ddrintn re your post on April 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM:

The last poll I saw on this website put Romney behind Obama by double digits.

My own view is that I don’t think that electaibility polls should determine who is the GOP nominee. Had they been the determining factor in 1980, Reagan would not have been the GOP nominee. Indeed, at one point in 1980, Reagan trailed Carter in the polls 58% to 42%. But Reagan had a vision, a clear conservative message and a conservative history (see, e.g., his 1964 speech “A Time For Choosing”); and Reagan won.

As for Romney, to quote Thomas Sowell in his column “The
‘Inevitability’ Vote”: “It is truer in this election than in most that ‘it takes a candidate to beat a candidate.” And that candidate has to offer both himself and his vision. Massive ad campaigns against rivals is not a vision.”

Phil Byler on April 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

To SauerKraut537:

I am thinking about your comment that I should “get over it.” My immediate reaction was that you were referring to my pro-life views and thus posted what I did above. But perhaps you used the phrase in a more general way, that I need to get over my problems with Romney. The answer is no, that I have learned to trust my judgment.

This is not the first time I have seen or heard the phrase, but every time I have seen or heard it, its use was cynical. This time is no different.

Romney became the front runner by spending tens of millions of dollars on negative, false attack ads, first and foremost on Newt and now on Rick Santorum. Romney has protected that front runner status by refusing to debate any more, which was necessary because Romney could never, ever defeat Newt by debates. While Newt was a “Young Turk” captain in the Reagan Revolution and then as Speaker forced Bill Clinton to balanced budgets and welfare reform, Romney voted for liberal Democrats Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Paul Tsongas. Romney, as a one-term Massachusetts Governor (2002-2006), raised fees and taxes, was adamantly pro-abortion rights, appointed liberal pro-abortion rights Democrats to the state judiciary, oversaw Massachusetts being 47th in the country in job growth, and championed RomneyCare (socialized medicine at the state level), which resulted in billions of dollars of sky rocketing health care costs, which Romney has never disavowed and which is the precursor to ObamaCare (socialized medicine at the national level). When Romney left office, he had a 35% approval rate/65% disapproval rate.

So, now, I am “to get over” how Romney became the front runner and that Romney is an Etch-A-Sketch flip flopper whose record as Massachusetts Governor was a liberal one?

Phil Byler on April 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM