Activist California judge saves McDonald’s Happy Meal toys

posted at 9:51 am on April 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

I guess we don’t have to worry about who wins the presidential election after all. Democracy is safe and the judicial branch is on the job. The greatest threat to our freedom – in the form of vegan food warriors trying to shut down dining options for the next generation – has been defeated. (With a hat tip to Poor Richard)

Children in California will still be able to get toys with their Happy Meals.

A San Francisco judge has dismissed a proposed class-action lawsuit that sought to stop McDonald’s Corp. from using toys to market its meals to children in the Golden State. The suit had been filed in late 2010 by Monet Parham, a California mother of two, and The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group based in Washington, D.C.

The suit had claimed that the world’s biggest hamburger chain was violating consumer protection laws and exploiting children’s vulnerability by using toys to lure them to eat nutritionally unbalanced meals that can lead to obesity. The lawsuit did not seek damages.

I still eat at McDonald’s sometimes. (What can I say? I like the dollar menu and the chicken nuggets are a good deal.) And the idea that a cheap little plastic toy which most kids in the age of Playstations and X-Box games likely won’t even play with was somehow going to sway them to the dark side was just preposterous on its face. Having found one good judge, we can all rest easy tonight.

Of course, that doesn’t answer the big question of which fast food joint you should patronize. Even better than McDonald’s and Burger King, I like the ham and cheese and beef and cheese sandwiches at Arby’s. Yes, I understand that some of you are up in arms over the fact that Arby’s apparently isn’t going to advertise with Rush. Boo Hoo. I’m sorry, but I’ve got a lot more to worry about in life than that. If the food is good and it’s the right price, I’m eating it. Who they choose to advertise with is their business. I’m not buying my sandwiches based on their advertising policy.

Of course, I still watch movies with subversive liberal messages too, so I guess I’m just a bad American. Pffffft.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She wouldn’t have that problem is she had just aborted her babies like the liberals demand of her…if you don’t have the time, or money, abort the little parasites…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Wouldn’t aborting your babies–horror of horrors–reduce the amount of your welfare check?

uncle_fweddy on April 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You don’t get it! LOL!

ExpressoBold on April 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

nope, I don’t :)

be careful espresso…I know kung fu and I love kicking azz

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

uncle_fweddy on April 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The Obama Administration is undoubtedly working on a plan to close that unfortunate loophole.

NoDonkey on April 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The next person who endorses abortion will get murdered. I have guns…lot of guns. I live in Texas.

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets are made from the “pink slime” of the poultry industry.

Just an FYI

Oxymoron on April 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

A big problem with this statment. The Center for Science in the Public Interest is NOT a consumer advocacy group. They are a lefty busybody organization that seeks to impose their idea of “goodness” on society as a whole. They don’t want you to have freedom of choice. They are NOT in the public interest.

TimsTruth on April 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Yep. Two of my faves:

“Very little good has ever been done by the absolute shall.”

- Anonymous American clergyman, 19th century

“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

- CS Lewis

The Absolute Shalls of the Progressive Left Return

The “Absolute Shall” Shall Always Absolutely Fail, Especially In America! And More Cheers For It!

Resist We Much on April 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Why is it that people like Monet Parham are unable to say “no” to their kids? Of course, these are the same people who tell other parents to turn the TV off or switch the channel when the subject of too much sex or violence or too many ads aimed at kids comes up. But what can you expect from a pack of liberals?

catsandbooks on April 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

DHChron on April 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Well, I wasn’t going to endorse it, but I certainly won’t post “And, Now, For A Word About Abortion From…Johnny Rotten & Sid Vicious of The Sex Pistols.” Since Sid is dead and Johnny is beeee-yond scary looking, you might take it out on me.

**giggles**

Seriously, the Sex Pistols — of all people — were, surprisingly, anti-abortion. Be warned that the images are pretty graphic, but the point can’t be made without them.

Resist We Much on April 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

“I’m not buying my sandwiches based on their advertising policy.”

No one’s saying you should do that. It’s stupid to buy bad food from someone with a good advertising policy. But you should not buy their crap because of their bad advertising policy, and because of their hostility to conservatives (blocking everyone who criticizes them from the Right on Twitter).

Whatever you do, don’t buy soft drinks there. It’s a major profit center for them, and bad for your health to boot.

Greg Q on April 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM

uncle_fweddy on April 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

True, but she has a secure government job…so she doesn’t need welfare, it’s “legitimate” welfare…

right2bright on April 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

The issue with Rush is about freedom of speech and the hypocrisy
of the left.

If we don’t take individual stands, then who will? When will the next freedom we now enjoy be taken away?

It is not about Rush and it is not about what satisfies your
appetite.

Amjean on April 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yes, California bronies can still get their My Little Pony figurines with their lunches. Progress!

TheLastBrainLeft on April 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Greg Q on April 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM

That’s easy, I gave up soft drinks and substituted beer a decade ago.

I didn’t find the switch a difficult one to make.

NoDonkey on April 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Progress in the weirdest of places…sometimes miracles happen against all odds.

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hell yea! Between that and a couple local Mexican joints, I haven’t eaten at McDonald’s in years.

thirtyandseven on April 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

more convicts on death row then any other state.

2nd in known serial killers of any state according to fbi.

“San Francisco, she has repeated, has more than 1,000 unsolved murders and more than 900 unsolved rapes.” http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/02/MNBA1LP98D.DTL&ao=all

91% recidivism rate for youthful offenders. 65% of CYS wards have substance abuse problems.

it costs society more than $1.7
million for each youth that drops out of school to become involved in a life of crime and
drug abuse.

but let’s focus on a plastic toy that makes kids happy for a few minutes and encourages them to eat their dinner -let’s how we save the world and keep people safe.

mittens on April 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I wonder if Jazz knows that Arby’s also began blocking all Conservative’s accounts on Twitter who have expressed their dismay that Rush has been boycotted. Rather than Arby’s respond to Conservative customer concerns, they’ve just decided … Meh. Screw em. We’ll just block their accounts.

Arby’s response to Conservatives has been just like Jazz’s response to those same expressions of concern… Boo Hoo.

I don’t know how Jazz could not possibly know. It’s even in the news. In fact, it’s still the lead story at Michelle Malkins’ new website, Twitchy.com

Maybe Jazz is just mad because the Oil Shale industry hasn’t been giving him any more all expense paid trips abroad in exchange for his singing their praises. Boo Hoo.

But he’s right in a sense. He’s not required to eschew Arby’s just because of the Leftist tools they are. Submit — and Enjoy your Arby’s Jazz. Try not to choke on it.

Jeez — HotAir certainly has gone all soft and squishy in a number of aspects, especially with the front page posters (ie: Jazz Shaw), since Michelle Malkin let it go to the highest bidder. Bummer.

FlatFoot on April 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

A liberals concept of choice:

“you can choose anything you want…from this list”

BobMbx on April 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

You’re not a bad American, Jazz, just stupid. Kinda like an Obama voter.

swinia sutki on April 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

The problem with people like Ms. Parham is that she thinks the solution to her incompetence is needed by the rest of us.

Put another way, if she were competent, she wouldn’t have needed her solution to start with.

EdmundBurke247 on April 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM