WhipCast: There’s an app for that

posted at 8:30 am on April 5, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Last November, we told you about the launch of a new tool for political junkies brought to you by House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy called WhipCast. It’s a way for the GOP leadership to reach out to voters in the digital age, providing tools for communication, planning and organizing through mobile phones and pretty much all of the latest cool kid gizmos. It’s still going strong and, as the Daily Caller reports, garnering some awards for taking politics to the cutting edge.

Over the weekend, WhipCast won several awards at the American Association of Political Consultants (AAPC) Pollie Awards & Conference, which has been hailed by Esquire Magazine as “the Oscars of political advertising.”

Developed by the digital media political consulting firm CRAFT, WhipCast was launched in November 2011 by the office of House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy simultaneously across all major platforms. The app provides mobile users with information pertaining to House Republican initiatives.

McCarthy is going to keep pushing the envelope in the 2012 election season.

“As Majority Whip, I understand the importance of utilizing technology to enhance the communications and outreach efforts of the House Republican Conference, while also making the House more open and transparent to the American people. WhipCast embodies these objectives and reaffirms our commitment to changing the culture of Washington. I am very proud of all the work that has gone into making it such a success.”

I wonder what else we could do with a tool like this? Communication is fine, and everyone is pretty much on Twitter and Facebook by now, but it’s only effective if people put it to good use. Just having the Whip put information out there is nice, but active supporters need to be able to do something with the information out in the public square. What other uses could we come up with for this and what sort of features should we suggest be added?

Comments

Now if the GOP only had something to compete against Air America.

tom daschle concerned on April 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Bishop? I’ve never been Bishop before.

Damn, now I have to think of something substantive to add or people will just think I’m being obnoxious. Thinking… Thinking…

No, sorry, I got nothing.

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Damn, that’s what I get for hesitating…

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

OK, now that I’ve actually read the post, why would anyone get this? It’s bad enough that I have to hold my nose and vote for these fools, now I need to get an app whose sole purpose is for political hacks to spam me more efficiently?

No thanks.

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Impressive, for the party of dial-up internet connections and AM radio, that is.

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Damn, that’s what I get for hesitating…

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Hesitation is very un-Bishop.

tom daschle concerned on April 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

There is a party on the amplitude modulation dial?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Thanks glittering jewel of colossal ignorance!

tom daschle concerned on April 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

“Everyone is pretty much on twitter and facebook”

Is that what they told you? Was that why you have no shame going to a website called “twitter” ha ha ha.

bernverdnardo1 on April 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

OK here’s a suggestion. There should be a feature called “Reding assignment” where we can access a mandatory essay from each congressman discussing the pros and cons of each bill they vote on. The reason for this, of course, is not to actually get their stupid opinions, but just to verify that they’ve actually read the bill.

You can have your staff help you, but no plagiarizing the other legislators, or you get an F and have to resubmit, along with a 3 page essay on why being a jackass is Bad For America.

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Didn’t know that. I’m getting it now. Interesting that it comes in different languages. Like Basque. Am I missing something there?

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

OK here’s a suggestion. There should be a feature called “Reding assignment”

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Perhaps we should have a different name for it.

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Read last night were some Philly pol got busted paying a consulting firm to tweet on his behalf. He paid them from public funds no less.

TheBigOldDog on April 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Ted Stevens would have been impressed. It takes a lot of tubes to accomplish this.

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

and everyone is pretty much on Twitter and Facebook by now

Not me. I particularly despise facebook. Twitter is good for revolutions, but not much else.

rbj on April 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I wonder what else we could do with a tool like this?

Naked Flash Mob for Spencer Tunick photo on Hill?

TheBigOldDog on April 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Can Mittens use it? I’m just sayin’…

Khun Joe on April 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

and everyone is pretty much on Twitter and Facebook by now

Oh, THAT’S where they’ve gone!

Cleombrotus on April 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Whip it, whip it good.

Just don’t break your country’s back…

Logus on April 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I want my… I want my… I want my OOTD.

ElectricPhase on April 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I want my… I want my… I want my OOTD.

ElectricPhase on April 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

…I thought Ed was back from vacation and there have been so many stumblings and stutterings by JugEars this week.

KOOLAID2 on April 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Could this please be the end of expensive direct-mail surveys by the RNC and its associated groups?

crowtreboot on April 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

As opposed to the party of 3-letter news networks and paper newspapers?

Think about what an eco-sin that would be if it wasn’t Bolshevik agitprop.

bernverdnardo1 on April 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Compared to the party that poops on cop cars…yes!

Blake on April 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

As opposed to the party of 3-letter news networks and paper newspapers?

Think about what an eco-sin that would be if it wasn’t Bolshevik agitprop.

bernverdnardo1 on April 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I read the NY Times on my ipad? Do the Moonies @ the Washington Times have one, or is just for mass arranges marriages?

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

WhipCast sounds like an interesting concept — but is it interactive? Can cell phone users and twitter followers text or tweet back their opinions and/or suggestions about the inititatives?

From a personal viewpoint, WhipCast is all pretty much lost to me — I’m in the process of cancelling my Facebook account due to privacy concerns (and lack of interest on my part) and I haven’t visited Twitter in several months, after I opened the account to follow the python that escaped from the Bronx Zoo.

Scriptor on April 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Apparently, you try to type with your I-Pad too LOL.

Well, in all fairness, I try typing with my stupid Google phone and that doesn’t go well either.

bernverdnardo1 on April 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM

bernverdnardo1 on April 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM

We have “smartphones” and I cannot stand using them for their intended purposes of surfing, texting and specifically… typing. Same goes for the iPad.

Annoying.

I’ll type on a laptop/desktop thank you very much and do my surfing there too.

Logus on April 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Apple products are for the non-tech savvy and douchebags.

spinach.chin on April 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

spinach.chin on April 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

But Apple’s hip man. Get with it. You’re not cool if you don’t have an Apple product.

Rabbit trail story… Was doing some yardwork with some other people and I brought along my Sony Walkman so that we could have some music while we worked.

After several minutes it dawned on a couple of the people that they were hearing music – loudly and fairly clearly – and couldn’t pinpoint the source. I stated that it was my mp3 player, much to all of their gaping jaws. These were teens. They pretty much only know Apple because that’s what the media, advertising and their peers tell them about.

Sony has a Walkman mp3 player which has built in speakers.

For half the price and twice the memory capacity plus built in speakers I got this Sony Walkman. Bought it over two years ago and it’s been one of the rare times I can say it was/is an actual investment, and a good one at that. We use the speaker aspect on it almost daily, far more even than I use the headphones. No docking or attachments required. Sure, the speakers aren’t the greatest quality, but if I wanted bigger sounds I’d be looking for and using something else.

And now we’re hearing that Apple’s getting plagued with Trojan Horses… thought Apple was nigh invincible to such things?

Logus on April 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Will they give updates on current events in Congress without asking for money?

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

thought Apple was nigh invincible to such things?

Logus on April 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Their popularity is making them a target where they had a pretty free ride before. Thankfully there is huge community of Apple security professionals to draw on.

Uh, wha…?

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Good for you.

Logus on April 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Here is a much better ios app if you want to know whats going on with your representatives:

Openstates

Seriously.. it’s impressive

johnnyboy on April 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Openstates

Seriously.. it’s impressive

johnnyboy on April 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

**** iOS and **** Apple.

*hugs my Samsung Vibrant*

Aquarian on April 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

spinach.chin on April 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

as well as teenage girls and grandmothers (they love having the world wide webs!)

I’m thinking of downloading this app to give it a try, but I hear it’s not playing nice with ICS and I’m not in the mood to downgrade to an earlier Cyanogen just to run it efficiently.

mintycrys on April 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Maybe we can get lessons on how to use Twitter from Anthony Weiner… I hear he has a lot of free time now.

Green_Bay_Packers on April 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM