Nikki Haley echoes Sarah Palin: Allen West would be a “good” VP candidate

posted at 11:10 am on April 5, 2012 by Tina Korbe

While Paul Ryan’s plausibility as Mitt Romney’s running mate increases, two Mama Grizzlies push an equally attractive alternative — the irrepressible Allen West. Shortly after Sarah Palin issued generic advice to the eventual GOP nominee to “go rogue” in his selection of a vice presidential candidate, she backed that advice up with a specific mention of the Florida congressman. On Fox News Tuesday, Palin talked up West’s military experience and deep understanding of the U.S. Constitution and foreign policy.

Last night, South Carolina Republican Gov. Nikki Haley echoed Palin:

South Carolina governor Nikki Haley, a top surrogate for GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney, suggested Wednesday night that controversial Tea Party freshman Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) could be a “good” choice as the party’s vice presidential nominee.

“You’ve got great ones. You have heard Governor Palin talked about West, and he’s good,” Haley told Fox News. “Of course, Marco Rubio is great and Chris Christie. We know he can be the fighter, and I think there are so many really great ones out there. I think Romney is going to have a hard time picking.”

The vice presidential talent pool really is deep. West, Rubio, Ryan. Republican governors like Virginia’s Bob McDonnell, Nevada’s Brian Sandoval, New Mexico’s Susana Martinez, etc., etc.

Haley has counted herself out, and it’s hard to think Chris Christie or anybody who could have chased the presidential nomination himself would want to take part in a national campaign now anyway — but you never know.

West appeals to me less as a vice presidential candidate than Paul Ryan does, though. His fiery brand of rhetoric works where he is now, but it might not be as effective on the campaign trail, where it would be spliced into sound bites and tossed into attack ads. Conservatives are looking for an impassioned counterpart to Mitt Romney, but passion isn’t reducible to a willingness to speak frankly. Ryan’s deep commitment to bold ideas has been a powerful force in Congress and it would be a powerful force on the campaign trail, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Nobody is staying home. They will vote down ticket. Just not for Romney.

Goals of 2012:

Take back the Senate.

Keep the House.

Keep Obama locked up in the White House like the lame duck he will be.

portlandon on April 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

+100

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

That’s right, I had forgotten Romney the Invincible had lost Colorado, to Santorum of all people. Thanks for the info. :)

Buckshot Bill on April 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Because you are too much of an idiot to understand that a double negative is not clear English. If I no right not to be offended, what are you really trying to say.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

What it actually means is that you can’t sue MadisonConservative if he says something that you regard as offensive.

It has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. You can be offended about anything, if you like.

He is VERY offended about the union thug-style bullies who try to threaten him into voting for Romney.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Nobody is staying home. They will vote down ticket. Just not for Romney.

*IF*…and i say this a s a matter of trying to be consistant..he or if *anyone* is the damn nominee…but since it may well happen to be Romney, that’s who i’m pulling the lever for, so my vote against Obama will count.

Goals of 2012:

Take back the Senate.

Keep the House.

That should be our goal regardless…but I may amend that we keep both as full of Conservatives as we can.

Keep Obama locked up in the White House like the lame duck he will be.

portlandon on April 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Who will have another 4 years to either add to the court or what, oversee the next overspending disaster?

No thanks, he’s cost us enough the last 4 years, not to mention the perks and bennies him and his wife get for life when they leave office.

Lets just cut our losses and get him out, now after Election Day.

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Allen West would be a good choice if he had more experience and we knew more about him. I believe that his inexperience would result in something like the reaction to Palin. There are plenty of good, experienced people for Romney to choose from. I trust Mitt’s judgement.

lhuffman34 on April 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Imagine that.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

lhuffman34 on April 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Besides, there is a upside to West not taking the VP slot…if he stays a Rep, and Rubio is picked, then the chances of him becoming Senator West increase markedly.

Not to mentiont he higher profile he would be able to command, also a chance to help unblock the logjam the Senate has become of late…

…and add a Yea or Nay vote to the next round of SCOTUS nominations.

This will put him in a perfect spot for 2016 or even 2020…not to mention give him time to build a grassroots war chest.

Sure I know he could get some good donors, but a lot of little ones will ensure he will have the money on tap right there without having to play the Beltway Bandit game anymore than necessary.

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I trust Mitt’s judgement.

lhuffman34 on April 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Wow. You used the words trust, judgment and Mitt all in one sentence. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Congrats.

Buckshot Bill on April 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM

You’re attacking me for not supporting Romney, and you suggested I leave the country if I don’t want to vote for him. What other conclusion am I to arrive at, numbnuts?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 1:38 PM

No, he actually said that you could leave the country if you really think that the American system is broken – which is what you said.

Try to stay honest, please.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Try to stay honest, please.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

You implied earlier that I somehow was going to vote for Romney.

I thought you said that you wouldn’t vote for Romney in the general.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

You know less than nothing about honesty.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Now that’s just ridiculous, comparing this election to last election. Next you’re going to suggest that Romney ran last time and los…wait.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Now, MadCon. Don’t speak blasphemy. The guy that lost to the loser is AWESOME! He speaks French, ya know.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Yes, conservatives should never ever vote for a candidate who lost to a loser.

And only snobs speak a second language.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Thanks.. I enjoyed my work, wish I could still do it, but part of the job was handling lots of stock, and my days of heavy lifting are done forever..

I really miss working.,.. sounds silly to some folks, but I do.

mark81150 on April 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Not to everyone her mark, you’re among friends, even when we disagree. What we do see, and what Newt got right, is the dignity of work.

It’s only a recent concept that work is somehow degrading. Any work, by any one, carries value and morality.

I’m always appreciative of places I go to and I see young people working. Makes me feel like there’s hope for America.

Hope you are doing well, friend.

itsspideyman on April 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I’m sorry but not one American is better off now than they were four years ago. Not one child or future child yet understands what this administration has done to their economic opportunities and future life. If a bunch of Romney haters are going to throw a tantrum because their guy didn’t win the primaries then I have no tolerance to read their whining because it is pointless sniveling. They don’t have to vote for Romney, they can support Obama for all I care BUT that doesn’t mean any of us have to read post after post about how much they hate Romney and how they are going to stay home and enjoy watching the (further) destruction of America.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Another way of looking at it: Voting for Mitt is hoping that a thunderstorm will pop up and help put out the progressive wildfire, with Boehner and McConnel as the fire chiefs.

Voting 3rd party, writing in, staying at home or even voting for Oboobi is setting a back-burn so that there is a place to step into as the wildfire sweeps by. When the GOP measures itself by the standards the democrats set, the GOP will, and has, been ravaged by the progressives. This time, the stakes are too high with debt exceeding GDP and spiraling costs.

If the GOP thinks they can just spray water around the house from garden hoses and save everything, no thanks. Better to burn the house down and rebuild after the wildfire.

Mitt is simply unable to put away the progressives into the wilderness.

AH_C on April 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yes, conservatives should never ever vote for a candidate who lost to a loser.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Didn’t you just say something about honesty? Once again, you know nothing about it.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Yeah! No more Kerry/Edwards. Or Gore/Lieberman. Or Clinton/Gore. Or…

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I will quit this site if Romney picks another white male as his VP.

liberal4life on April 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I will quit this site if Romney picks another white male as his VP.

liberal4life on April 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Damn, I wish I had fast-forward on this thing…

Bruno Strozek on April 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Does that make me a union thug-style bully? I don’t know.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Only if you believe the Republican Party is entitled to my vote, regardless of whether or not I support their candidate.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

This has nothing to do with our believes or feelings. It’s a cool consideration. What do I prefer? 4 years of a Democratic president, or 4 years of a Republican president.

You don’t get anything else.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I can see Rubio getting flustered in the debate with bozo biden. But Mr. West will stomp that clown, rhetorically of course. And what would we hear from the CBC? uh crickets chirping? Just us bugs here.

jake49 on April 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

You don’t get anything else.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

My father-in-law (staunch conservative) abstained from voting for Ford in 1976. He always said not voting for the Establishment GOP candidate that year was a vote for Reagan. And he was right.

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

What are West’s financial background? I don’t know how strong he is in economics.
That is why I lean towards Ryan, Mitt has no experience with federal budgets, no experience in macro-economics…he is great at selling off assets, turning them into long term debt, and making a big commission check, that’s obvious. But don’t mistake that for understanding how macro/gov. economics work.
I think Thomas Sowell is correct, Mitt is weak in that area, so he needs to have someone strong…however, always a cabinet to carry him.

right2bright on April 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Imagine that.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

So what was that about not having the right to be offended?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

AH_C on April 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

And how many times has this winning strategy worked for the uber-Conservatives in the Party?

They tried in 1992 with Perot, Clinton Won… 1996 Paul…Clinton wins 2nd Term…2008 We get Pelosi, and Obama.

It’s been tried. It doesn’t work, giving the other side a club that you whittled yourself doesn’t make it hurt less.

If Romney the only clay to work with, then damnit, work with it. Why assume that the hard work is over once Jan 21st rolls past?

If Romney the winner and gets the WH, hold his damn feet to the fire, camp out on the WH lawn, but if he isn’t Conservative enough, then we better make sure every day he’s in office that he does…

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

jake49 on April 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Don’t underestimate them Jake..they don’t have a big a following in the Black community as they would like you to belivee, but they do have a loyal following in the Media…

I mean, when was the last time you saw any reporter bring on Thomas Sowell, or Walter Williams…hell, when was the last time in the last few years have you heard about Niger Innis or C.O.R.E?

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I will quit this site if Romney picks another white male as his VP.

liberal4life on April 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Promise?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

So what was that about not having the right to be offended?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

When did I say I had one? More honesty, I see.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

You implied earlier that I somehow was going to vote for Romney.

I thought you said that you wouldn’t vote for Romney in the general.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

You know less than nothing about honesty.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

No, I didn’t imply anything.

You wrote that you wouldn’t vote for Romney in the general, because you voted for McCain in 2008 and he turned out to be a terrible … and that’s where your logic failed.

If you didn’t vote for Romney in the primaries, your comparison with McCain is correct, because he turned out to be a crappy candidate.

But if you don’t vote for Romney in the general, your comparison with McCain is irrelevant, because we don’t know what kind of president McCain would have been.

Find another excuse for not voting for Romney.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

True true.

jake49 on April 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Where did I say how he turned out?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Yeah but then a conservative like West in their face this election cycle will just rub them the wrong way. In any case, I have stocked up on the popcorn.

jake49 on April 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Yes, conservatives should never ever vote for a candidate who lost to a loser.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

katie the mean old lady made fun of a candidate who lost to a loser. This is not the best argument against Romney, as you know.

And making fun of a candidate who speaks a second language is not a good argument, either.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

LOL – thanks for reminding why I cannot vote for this loser.

Why on earth would I bother voting for someone whom I constantly have hold his “feet to the fire”, even “camp out on the WH lawn” in order to make sure he doesn’t screw up?

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Promise?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yup

liberal4life on April 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Why not go for the true liberal instead?

At least you know what he is about

liberal4life on April 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

..nice try, old son. How do we prevent this non-cooperative S.O.B. from stacking the SCOTUS with lib justices?

The War Planner on April 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

The same way the Democrats stopped Reagan from getting Robert Bork & other of our nominees off the Supreme court.

portlandon on April 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Would we have today’s situation in the Middle East without a President Carter?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

LOL – thanks for reminding why I cannot vote for this loser.

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Because it’s worth the effort. We’ve tried keeping this Administration in line for 4 years…how did that work out? Have we spent less? Is the country better off?

I don’t like having to lift someone else’s bricks either, but there’s no way no flipping how we can get by another 4 years and not be changed into something that’s not the country that I want my nieces & nephews to inherit.

That’s worth the effort to me.

Why not go for the true liberal instead?

At least you know what he is about

liberal4life on April 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Because I know that Obama and Co aren’t Liberal, their Progressive Elitist nitwits without enough brainpower in between them to brighten a firefly.

These people have been a nightmare to this country…without a single accomplishment to point at other than proving that yes, college degrees aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on anymore.

I’d rather fight to get rid of him and every trace of other Progressives like him out of Washington and start again.

Even if that somewhere is Romney.

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Would we have today’s situation in the Middle East without a President Carter?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Considering Ford’s pathetic weakness in dealing with Vietnam & Cambodia, I doubt he would made much difference in Middle East foreign policy compared to Carter.

However, one thing is for sure: If the Establishment candidate Ford had won the election in 1976, we would never have had a President Reagan.

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Anyone else notice that these two showed up at the same time after the last open registration…

… and that where there is one, there is always the other?

They never post alone on other threads…

… and they always end up in an arguement with each other.

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

Seven Percent Solution on April 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

7% ? Shhh.

Bmore on April 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Mitt Romney: “I am a Progressive”

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM

That is a bit contradictory… If Ford was no different than Carter, then Reagan still would have won.

Even so, Reagan still would be obviously the more Conservative of the two, so he still would have won 1980.

Even by some remote chance that he DIDN’T, do you really think by 1984 he wouldn’t have won Two terms against Ford, Mondale or Bush still?

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM

No body is trying to bully anyone, but we do have a couple of cry-baby True Cons here who can’t accept the basic fact that this is going to be a close race. And those who sit it out, out of principle, may provide that tiny sliver of a gap to allow The One for more years.

Of course they take great offense at that idea and want to hold true to their principles. The House and the Senate are enough after all, and one doesn’t have to bend one’s TruCon principles.

Let’s see how that stacks up between sundry executive orders, a limp-wristed GOP Congress, and some SC nominations.

Unions tactics? Try realpolitik.

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Where did I say how he turned out?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Got an answer? I’m guessing not. Honesty, once again, eludes you.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

No body is trying to bully anyone, but we do have a couple of cry-baby

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Is this a joke? Are you actually parodying the worst of the Romney supporters, or are you just that dense?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Yup…dumb thing to say. Good. we both agree. Hell I can go and find the clip with Thomas Sowell (whos opinion i respect highly) also not going for Romney.

So tell me, what other choices we have? Wanna go the Brokered Convention route? Stay Home? Vote for 4 more Years of Obama?

None of us like it, again, I am being consistent…but I am not gonna wait for another 4 years of Obama..we cannot afford it. I am willing to make Romney a 2nd damn job and make sure he doesn’t stray any further than to be expected, but I cannot cannot see any way to give Obama a slide just because Romney is not Reagan Redux.

If there was a real, reliable 3rd choice I would go for it, either in the Party or without, but nothing shows that there will be a groundswell for it anywhere…

Show me a viable 3rd choice, and I’ll consider it, but until then, I’m gonna go for the best long term (4 years) choice there is, get hammered on Election Night and vote…I can afford that for 1 night…can’t do it for 4 more years.

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

It’s pure petulance. The Executive controls everything from the Dept. of Energy to the EPA to Commerce to the IRS in addition to the SC nominations mentioned.

Some people act like there is no difference between how Romney and The One would handle this power.

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Did you read the substance or just petulantly snap at a mild bit of mockery?

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Did you read the substance or just petulantly snap at a mild bit of mockery?

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Oh, okay. Mockery isn’t bullying.

Stop referring to my supporters, who mock you, as “bullies”, you crybabies.Romney 2012!!

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

So what was that about not having the right to be offended?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

When did I say I had one? More honesty, I see.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Sorry, I forgot a “not”.

If you are allowed to feel offended by other commenters, they are allowed to feel offended by you.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

It’s pure petulance.

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Calling you petulant is a compliment, you crybabies. Now shut up and vote for me.Romney 2012!!

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Again, where did I claim that right?

Answer: nowhere, liar.

Another ingenious tactic to gather votes by the Romney camp.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Peeks in see’s everything is under control. And leaves.

Bmore on April 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Oh, okay. Mockery isn’t bullying.

Stop referring to my supporters, who mock you, as “bullies”, you crybabies. – Romney 2012!!

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

TBH I’d expect a thicker skin from a conservative. Think Sarah Palin – and breathe.

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Where did I say how he turned out?

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Then tell me, how did McCain turn out as a president, since you can’t vote for somebody like him in the general any more?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

TBH I’d expect a thicker skin from a conservative.

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I just wanted to show what an incredibly dense bully and hypocrite you are.

TBH I expected it to be at least slightly tricky.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

So you’re admitting I never said any such thing, and instead of admitting it, like someone with integrity, you’re now trying to deflect.

You’re a coward and a liar.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Anyway…signed out of the other thread, and I’ll do the same here. Keep telling us you’re not bullies just before you call us crybabies. It’s actually quite hilarious.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

And out he flounces…

See you next time after school. :X

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Again, where did I claim that right?

Answer: nowhere, liar.

Another ingenious tactic to gather votes by the Romney camp.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You claim the right of feeling offended by acting offended. And you are acting VERY offended. You’ve been victimized by the bullies for about 5 pages now.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Fine, that is your perogative.

I prefer to make my electoral decisions while sober, which means I cannot vote for a Progresive like Romney.

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

The person I addressed was offended that their candidate was being criticized. I’m mildly annoyed that you’re slandering me. Troll better.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Norwegian on April 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Good Grief, Norwegian! Out of all of that, did it really sound like I was a happy Romney support?

Did i even give the impression that i will skip happily to the polls if he’s the candidate?

No. I was being somewhat snarky, but again, my goal is the removal of Obama and his Administration.

You say you make your decision rationally: good. As we all should…I was just saying in a nutshell that the strategy that Conservatives like *you* have tried in the past has not worked, and we all ended up the loser for it.

Can you can call Romney a squish, a RINO, whatever…but calling him a Progressive, and then measuring him against this Administration? Really?

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

You’re a coward and a liar.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Of course you said it. Here’s the quote:

However, I held my nose in 2008, and it’s the last time I shall do so. I’m not going to vote in moderate candidates just so they can further our problems

You didn’t vote in a moderate candidate in 2008. You have no idea what kind of president McCain would have been.

You argument is just bad logic, that’s all.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

McCain was a moderate, and everyone knows it. If you’re ignorant of his record, that’s not my problem. I am not ignorant of his record(amnesty, campaign finance reform, opposition to Bush tax cuts, global warming alarmism, etc), so I know what he was. I voted for him solely because of Sarah Palin. Without her, I wouldn’t have.

So, stop playing dumb. I have no idea who you are, but I was debating with McCainiacs four years ago on this site, and the trolls did a far better job than you. Your only intent seems to be picking through my s**t for kernels of corn.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Lets just cut our losses and get him out, now after Election Day.

BlaxPac on April 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM

If the Rs have the senate and congress, then doesn’t that pretty much neuter Obama? He can nominate who he wants, but if they don’t get confirmed?

That might be worth it just to see how Obama reacts. He might actually quit. ;)

kim roy on April 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You said that you can’t vote for Romney in the general, because you voted for McCain in the general. But what did McCain do wrong, after you had voted for him in the general? Nothing. Because he lost.

McCain’s record is irrelevant as an argument against voting for Romney in the general, because McCain never was president. You don’t know how we would have governed.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand that?

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM

But what did McCain do wrong, after you had voted for him in the general? Nothing.Because he lost.Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM

He let his campaign staff scapegoat his running mate, and he did nothing to stop them. He still makes jokes about picking Sarah Palin for his running mate. He was happy to let Sarah Palin take all the responsibility for his loss. McCain is quite chivalrous NOT.

Dr Evil on April 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I never was much of a McCain fan. One important reason was that his base of power came from undermining the Republican Party. He became the darling of the MSM from opening criticizing other Republicans. That continued right up to the point where he got the nomination and became the Republican establishment. At that point, Lucy (the MSM) pulled away the football.

But in 2008 I voted for McCain only to vote against Obama. I’m much more enthusiastic this time around voting for Romney. Romney is a brilliant man who is bringing a lot of talent to the table. He’ll be good for the country, I think.

I like West a lot but it would be a tough choice for me to have to choose between West or Ryan. Either way, we win, I think.

crosspatch on April 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

McCain’s biggest mistake was “suspending” his campaign and returning to Washington during the financial bubble. He should have campaigned hard on the fact that he had sponsored legislation in 2005 that might have prevented it and in a speech he gave in the Senate laid out a potential disastrous scenario that actually came to pass almost exactly as he had foretold. He could have laid the entire disaster in the laps of the Democrats but he “suspended” operations and never recovered from that.

crosspatch on April 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Pick West as VP and the mentally deranged Progressives will spew saliva all over the place saying how raaacist the Republicans are in picking a black man because, after all, they are only doing this to mask their own racism.

Decoski on April 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Dr Evil on April 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM

As I said a few pages ago, McCain was a crappy candidate. I always thought that he was a coward for allowing his staff to do to Sarah Palin what they did.

But McCain was never a crappy president. MadCon’s argument makes perfect sense for the primary, but not for the general.

The general is just not the right time to make a statement about the best conservative candidate. That’s what the primaries are for, and even the years before the primaries. That’s when we should make our minds up and fight tooth and nails for our favorite candidates.

Romney won because many conservatives changed their preferred candidate every two weeks.

Gelsomina on April 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM