Mitt Romney’s marvelous speech

posted at 10:03 pm on April 5, 2012 by Karl

Having written about the subtext of Pres. Obama’s Tuesday speech to news editors, it is worth looking at the speech likely GOP nominee Mitt Romney gave in the same venue on Wednesday. As reported at National Journal:

“Nancy Pelosi famous [sic] said that we would have to pass Obamacare to find out what was in it,” Romney said. “President Obama has turned that advice into a campaign strategy: He wants us to re-elect him to find out what he will actually do.

“With all the challenges the nation faces, this is not the time for President Obama’s hide-and-seek campaign,” he added.

Romney argued he presents a stark contrast, boldly laying out his own agenda to solve the country’s litany of problems. That was no more true than when he focused on entitlement spending, an issue Obama has attacked Romney on for adopting the budget proposal put forward by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisc. The plan, the most prominent feature of which includes plans to convert Medicare into a premium-support model, polls poorly with the public, and is clearly an issue the president will highlight ad naseum through November.

But rather than distance himself from Ryan, he resolutely defended the House budget chairman, even praising him by name for having “the courage to offer serious solutions to the problems we face.” And he went on then offensive, accusing Obama of damaging Medicare first. Romney adopted the Democrats’ own attack against Republicans, saying that the president “has taken a series of steps that end Medicare as we know it.”

From this speech, folks on the left see Romney taking Obama’s bait — and that is not an entirely unfair assessment, merely an incomplete one. National Journal reports the Ryan plan polls badly based on its own poll, with an incomplete, misleading question. Nevertheless, given Democrats’ past success with Mediscare campaigns, it is not surprising some are licking their chops today.

However, the left is also missing the subtext of Romney’s speech, which reflects hard-headed realism. It reflects realism about our grave and growing debt problem (even if the Ryan plan is insufficient, it is necessary). It also reflects realism about the general election campaign to come. The Democrats intend to demagogue the Ryan plan and hang it around the neck of the GOP nominee, regardless of the identity of the nominee or his position on the Ryan plan. Romney knows this.

The establishment media, which has already allied itself with gross fiscal irresponsibility, will gleefully assist Team Obama in this campaign. Indeed, Obama’s demagoguery got a standing ovation from a packed house of news editors, while a much smaller crowd of journos gave Mitt Romney the polite golf clap. Romney knows this, too.

In 1996 (surely one of Obama’s models for a Democrat seeking reelection), GOP nominee Bob Dole ran away from the efforts of Newt Gingrich and the GOP Congress to bring the budget under control (even as Newt was driving Bill Clinton to sign welfare reform into law). This year, things could be different. Paul Ryan is probably a more stable ally now than Newt was then (or now). Moreover, even Obama’s budget director has warned that our debt is “serious and ultimately unsustainable.”

On the other hand, it may be — especially if the economy were to perk up between now and November — that Democratic demagoguery on entitlements can succeed again. But Romney’s speech suggests he recognizes he cannot afford to avoid the good fight, because Democrats and the media will surely fight the bad one.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Son, we live in a world that requires decisions, and those decisions have to be made by adults living in reality- not some fantasyland. Who’s gonna say enough’s enough- lets go fight Ocommie already ? You got any fight in you ? Can you get in the foxhole ? I doubt it. Your weak and appeasing. The time to fight is right now. Mittens has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santorum or EgoNewt- or even Grampa Ron, and yet you curse the unique Executive Experience Mittens offers above all others. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what the hell is going on in the real world. That Santorum’s failure, while tragic, probably saved this election for the Rs. And Romney’s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves this country from another 4 years of marxism from the azzclown in the WH. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at your revivals, you want Mittens kicking Obie’s azz, you need Mittens kickin Obie’s azz. Romney uses words like capitalism, market solutions, family values. He uses those words as the backbone of a life spent being successful in the REAL world- not the make believe world of DC corruption. You use those words as spin to twist your convoluted fantasies on the unaware and unknowing.
I have neither the time nor the inclination to continue to explain the excellent qualities a President Romney embodies to a person who will rise and sleep under the blanket of national security that Mittens will restore this nation to, and then has the phoniness to question the manner in which Mitt will provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick your next dream date ABR, and start over. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think about the next President of the United States W.M. Romney, and what you think, as a TruCon saboteur, what you are entitled to.
Peace out.

FlaMurph on April 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

When I feel like leaving I will leave. You can stay and try to help persuade people to help Obama all you want.

Only children and the clinically insane adhere to such an A or B system. The World is many shades of grey. And we have many choices, neither of which are Obama or Romney, and all of which are perfectly valid alternatives.

Completely irrelevant.

According to who? This is not a rebuttal or debate – it’s you being dictatorial. Very interesting – this consistent type of reaction makes me wonder – why is it that Romney Supporters, when pressed, trend so Authoritarian?

They were poor candidates for sure, but there was more to the story than just that and you know it.

The story was rather simple really. Bland Democrat lite candidates that were just fine with all manner of government overreach just so long as they were along for the ride. With no clear distinctions between the liberals and themselves, they either lost spectacularly, or governed as leftists + Jesus.

I was not amused, and now, I am out of patience.

The vitriol has gone both ways, don’t act holier than thou.

Oh, but who started it? The first shots were started by Willard and his supporters. They came out of the box nasty, from day 1, and everything that has followed from that has been in reaction to the slash and burn manner in which Willard and his hatchet-men have conducted themselves.

And you don’t speak for the base. I’m part of the base just as much as you claim to be. Actually you are part of the Democratic base to be specific, your goal is to help re-elect Obama.

I speak for me and for many like minded conservatives. It’s a given that I do not speak for everyone. You are creating a strawman here – I never claimed to speak for the base – I speak for people who think like me. As to your child-like ascertain that I am somehow aiding Obama by not voting for your ordained mush – that’s hogwash. For me to support Obama I have to vote for Obama. Me wanting to see Willard defeated is materially different from approving of King Barry Hussein.

I choose “none of the Above” as my candidate, and I am supporting him. In the grand tradition o internet polling, I choose “PIE.”

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I do, based on the supreme court alone, but that’s just me. I’ll take a chance that he will appoint more conservative justices than a sure thing that Obama won’t.

So tell me, what are you going to do on election day when its Obama against Romney? I’d really like to know.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

First of all, since our chances of getting a solid republican majority in Congress have evaporated, the democrats can bully a Romney as president to choose more liberal SCOTUS judges since he won’t have the spine to fight that battle. So you may not want to go that route as an argument.

Since politicians like Romney and getting rid of them is why I got involved in politics in the first place and it’s getting more and more obvious that trying to replace one skunk with another is the only choice we’re being offered, I honestly don’t think I can go against everything I believe in and may actually just sit back and watch the mud wrestling. May the best man win! Blech!!

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

FlaMurph on April 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Thank you for living in the real world.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Silver, you are a tonic! I’m going to miss that passion on here if we get stuck with Romney. Because if you’re like me, there’s no arguing or campaign incentive for that dead end on our side. We’ll be arguing against ourselves!

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Based on Romney’s appointments in Massachusetts I… have zero confidence in anything good coming from his court appointments. More 2nd amendment destroying mushes most likely.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

…and yet you curse the unique Executive Experience Mittens offers above all others.

Yeah, he has alot of executive experience all right. He gained it massively assaulting the 2nd amendment, forcing socialized medicine on his population, putting place scores of liberal judges, spending like a maniac, and promoting the global warming farce.

Boy… given his “vast executive experience” it sure is not all that surprising Willard Fillmoure Romneycare has to run against other people’s failings while desperately tying o obfuscate his own…

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I am the sort that will stay on the battle field long after the ammo is gone, and the rest of the army has left the field. I will still be here, using sharpened sticks and rocks to fight if I have to.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You are as much the enemy as Obama himself. Pathetic. Disgusting. Sickening.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM

This right here in a nutshell is exactly why Romney will lose. Moderates always see conservatives, not liberals, as the enemy to be “crushed”.

ddrintn on April 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thank you for living in the real world.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Ahh yes, blind pragmatism. That works well for tyrants. Why do we keep coming back to this strong Authoritarian streak when it comes to the “Shut up and vote Romney” crowd?

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Keep telling yourself that.

You stated you would work to help defeat Romney. That’s just what the democrats will be doing. It’s like being in the Iraq war and working to defeat the US, you are aiding the enemy. I’m really starting to think you might be delusional to not see that.

Please, come back to the real world. We will welcome you back. Don’t cower behind third party fantasies that have no hope of ever becoming reality.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It’s not “shut up and vote Romney”. It more like “come to your senses and realize who the enemy is”. Make a decision like a real adult.

No, there isn’t more valid choices than Romney or Obama. It’s like a computer at its most basic level, 1 or 0. I’ll choose 1 over 0 thank you.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Keep telling yourself that.

I will because it’s a fact, and you’re not liking that does nothing to change it.

Again, overly simplistic, black and white views of a complex situation.

“Why won’t your serfs just sit down and behave!!!”

You just can’t understand, you really can’t see it. As I stated before… it would be funny if not for the stage this production inhabits.

Please, come back to the real world. We will welcome you back.

“Come back home honey… I won’t hit you again… I promise… I really love you… I am so sorry… this is the last black eye I will give you.. honest… come home baby…”

/pass

The Republicans had 30 years to give us a conservative candidate. Speaking for myself, I have quite had enough black eyes and cracked ribs. These people are serial wife beaters, and they have zero interest in reforming – they are only concerned with maintaining their perks and power. They don’t even care if they are steering the ship, just so long as they get to sit in the captain’s cabin and get their invites to all the cool social galas.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I have. An adult that realizes that there are more options than 1 and 2. An adult that realizes that there is more at stake here than simply an election.

No, there isn’t more valid choices than Romney or Obama.

Or really? Please point to any rules, regulations, laws, or official standards that state this? Only in your highly oversimplified version of reality is there “only Romney and Obama.” I can write in names. I can leave the ballot blank. I can stay home. I can write in a vote for Queen Sheba of the Lizard People, and all will result in a perfectly valid ballot – or no ballot what so ever.

Thankfully, I am not a rigid, unbending, unthinking automaton. I am able to think non-linearly, and as such, I innately understand that there are a series of options available to me.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

There’s no reasoning with you. FlaMurph had it right. You have the luxury of not dealing with the real world.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Fight on! I’m with you!! We might as well do it now because it looks pretty bleak on the horizon if we don’t change the direction (cliff’s edge) that the republican party is heading towards.

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

On the contrary. I am firmly rooted in reality, and I refuse to bind myself into a self imposed little box of fake rules and non-existent regulations.

What you hate is that myself and people like me, after decades of abuse, are unwilling to submit to “just one more beating” at the hands of the Republicans.

Let freedom ring baby.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I can tell you with certainty, come November, either Romney or Obama will be elected president. Can you tell me anyone else who could be? A vote for anyone else is a cop out, same with leaving it blank. Don’t have the balls to make an adult decision I guess. If you don’t vote for one of them your vote doesn’t mean dick. At least voting for Obama shows you can make a decision. Nobody cares about your little fit and meaningless vote for “Mickey Mouse”.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It’s not a matter of voting for only who has the best odds of winning. The most important thing for people like me is voting one’s principles.

Why would I care if others find my vote meaningless? Should I value myself based on the opinions of others?

Hogwash.

My vote has meaning to myself, when I maintain my personal honor and integrity – when I choose not to support a Statist Democrat – which in my opinion, will be both options should Willard claw the nomination.

I may loose my fortune, I may loose my life, but I will never sacrifice my principles. Those go with me to my grave. And I have seen far too much evil take place in the name of practicality to ever surrender my beliefs.

So no, I abstain from your sub-grade-school interpretation of U.S. politics. Also count me out of this little game called “using others to find self validation.”

I make my own path, and think for myself. And I am not overly inclined to care if my doing so gets a bunch of proto-Authoritarian snobs, (with a pathetically simplified world view, and a noteworthy lack of self esteem), panties all bunched up.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Nobody cares about your little fit and meaningless vote for “Mickey Mouse”.

Kitchen B*tch! Fix me a sandwich before I give you another fat lip.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Fixed.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Damn this phone.

Let me try this again… properly.

Nobody cares about your little fit and meaningless vote for “Mickey Mouse”.

Kitchen B*tch! Fix me a sandwich before I give you another fat lip.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Fixed.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Third time is a charm?

Nobody cares about your little fit and meaningless vote for “Mickey Mouse”.

Kitchen B*tch! Fix me a sandwich before I give you another fat lip.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Fixed.

Sheesh.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Right on, Baby!</em>

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I make my own path, and think for myself.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Mmmmk. And nobody else does that.

Go live in your little world of yourself and its pristine perfection. The rest of us will deal with the real situation we have before us.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Mmmmk. And nobody else does that.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Good luck with that one, SD Bro! Talk about delusional and denial.

mozalf on April 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Whoever said that either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney will be elected president had it exactly right. At this point I don’t give a damn about the compromises Romney had to make as governor of Massachusets. I don’t give a damn about who started with the slings and arrows. I don’t give a damn about purity or litmus tests or anything else. The only thing I care about is that Romney beat Obama in November. Anyone who is fed up with Obama but doesn’t vote for Romney is free to do so, of course, but they should do so with the knowledge that they’re doing their own little part to get Obama reelected. I, for one, am voting for Romney because when I look at my children, and think of my grandchildren to come, the thought of four more years of Obama makes me want to run screaming into the night.

Fafhrd on April 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Fafhrd on April 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Some of us value our principles.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Mmmmk. And nobody else does that.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

And you will whine when, surprise, Milquetoast looses in November, and like vengeful little harpies, will begin prowling the landscape looking for someone – anyone – to blame for the loss besides the face staring right back at you in the bedroom mirror.

Just know your cries of “righteous indignation” will fall on deaf ears.

Cause we told you so.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

SilverDeth

Silverdeth, I agree with you for the most part. I agree with following your principles and not wanting to see another RINO get stomped come this Nov. And although I said in another thread that I will support Romney(if there is no other realistic choice) in the general election even though I voted for Santorum in the primary, I still hope that a true conservative will beat out Romney to get the nomination.

I too don’t hold much hope for us or the GOP when we continue to try to appease the “moderates”, sacrificing our principles in the process, by nominating a moderate like Romney.

But there is one thing that is different from the election of 2008. Obama.
He ran as someone who was going to “bring us all together”, with a new age of “civility” and “transparency” in politics.
That, and we had 8 years of Bush making himself unpopular to even some conservatives for some of the things he was doing, so Obama felt like a breath of fresh air(to some people).

But now we and they know that that air is stagnant and poisonous. And will be totally unbreathable if we allow Obama another 4 years to pollute America with his destructive agenda.

This is why I think Romney has a better chance to win against Obama than McCain did.

And Romney had better know – and we had better hold to it – that conservatives and others who love America for all that it is and do not want to “change” it into some socialist European country, will hold his feet to the fire.

I don’t know about you, but I would rather fight (possible)policy differences with Romney in the White House than with the absolute, arrogant, “I’ll do things my own way because I know better than you” mentality of Obama.

Sterling Holobyte on April 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Alls I gotta say is that we ALL had better get MORE (R) senators AND more (R) representatives!!! GO TEA FOLKS GO!?!

Colatteral Damage on April 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Just know your cries of “righteous indignation” will fall on deaf ears.

Cause we told you so.

SilverDeth on April 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Please, please, tell us who has any chance of being elected President besides Romney or Obama for this election. Who? It’s over man, those are the choices. Who would you have us vote for?

You told us so about what? It’s the lesser of evils as it always is. Sorry I’m not throwing my vote away to make a point that nobody will remember or care about while Obama continues his destruction. I will blame people like you. Too stubborn to look at the big picture, to stubborn to get over yourself.

Your goals are admirable. I share them. It’s not going to make a difference. The only difference you can make is to vote against Obama and the only way to do that is to vote for Mitt Romney. At some point rational people do what needs to be done no matter how unpleasant.

Like someone said above, looking at your kids and doing the best you can to remove Obama is what its about.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

WRONG!!!

We look at our futures and continue to work to remove ALL of the liberals from office, and that includes liberal Mittens.

Plan B 2012

DannoJyd on April 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Colatteral Damage on April 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Plan B or bust.

DannoJyd on April 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

WRONG!!!

Plan B 2012

DannoJyd on April 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

You people are a lost cause.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You people are a lost cause.

jazzmo on April 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Quoting 0bama now? That was what he stated a few months before his HISTORIC loss which resulted in his We Were Shellacked speech.

This might be the year that a Third Party makes huge advances considering that all of the other candidates are projected to be extremist Constitution hating Liberals.

DannoJyd on April 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM