Marco Rubio: The primary is over and it’s time now to concede

posted at 2:30 pm on April 5, 2012 by Tina Korbe

In a race in which endorsements heretofore have meant little, Marco Rubio’s endorsement of Mitt Romney before the Wisconsin primary, together with the endorsements of George W. Bush and Paul Ryan, might actually have helped the former Massachusetts governor to win the Badger State. At one of Rubio’s regional Senate office openings in Florida, he took his endorsement a step further with indirect instructions to Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul to exit the race. The Shark Tank’s Javier Manjarres captured the senator’s key statements:

“I actually think we’re going to have a very good nominee. I think Mitt Romney’s going to be the next president of the United States. And by their own admission, the folks running against Mitt Romney have admitted that they cannot win the primary, that the only way they can win is a floor fight at the convention, which I think would set us back in terms of our goal of replacing Barack Obama.

“So I do believe it’s time now to concede that Mitt Romney has won the Republican nomination, that he’s going to be the Republican nominee, and that if we all get behind him he will be the next president of the United States.”

At this point, Romney’s surrogates seem to be vying with one another to see who can make him sound more conservative and more invincible as the actual GOP nominee. And some Debbie Downers worried conservatives wouldn’t rally!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Check Gingrich and Santorum’s votes out and you will find they have been more liberal than Romney in several areas!

g2825m on April 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I completely agree with your last comment because all three of them are equally disgusting!

You say you do not agree with RomneyCare, yet you sit here and attempt to justify it by trying to quote founding fathers as if they would have approved of it, not THAT is sad and hilarious. If you were a true Conservative you would understand that there is nothing Conservative about RomneyCare. The 10th Amendment is not an excuse for states to act with tyrannical overreach.

If even George Soro’s says there is not difference between Romney and Obama, your Conservative argument is in trouble:

dom89031 on April 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Most, if not all of them established their conservative bona fides here at HA long before anyone here ever heard of you.

LegendHasIt on April 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Gunlock Bill on April 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It’s no secret. I hate all 5 contestants, with Obama the most.

As to the rest of your comment, just a couple of things:

1. Keep calling people names, and expect them to vote for Mitt, and see how much luck you have with it.

2. I heard the same exact arguments about McCain in 2008.

Here’s who I blame for Obama being where he is, based on nothing at all, for the shame of the land, and the world: plankton/gnats/sheep/jelly fish from the left, idiotic so-called indies, moping Paulites and Rs who stayed home.

However, I hate NO one more than the RINOs and the establishment, for forcing McCain onto us. 2008 morphed inot 2012.

————-
Bradky, you’ll vote for Obama, again. Since you’re not a brainless liberal4life type, why even waste your efforts here…

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The establishment wants Rick Santorum to quit now if not sooner.

Rubio is identifying himself with the establishment, and not with conservative insurgents.

David Blue on April 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Every time one of these GOP establishment/Romney shills declares that Romney has already won (as they have been doing for months), they just turn off more voters and further reduce enthusiasm for THEIR pick.

The primaries are not over, and Romney has not yet won the nomination, and no amount of wishful thinking and outright lying from the GOP establishment will convince informed voters otherwise. The GOP and Romney had better stop angering and disenfranchising Republican and conservative voters or there will be no chance of beating obama. Voters are not going to respond well if they feel coerced and bullied.

Pork-Chop on April 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM

It’s over. It’s been over for a long, long time. That isn’t “bullying” or “coercion,” it’s just math. Simple math. Sheesh. These whiners are coming out of the woodwork, illustrating over and over what liberalism has done to this country. It’s a bare knuckles primary fight, for God’s sake, among ADULTS. YOUR guy didn’t win. Grow up. Jeez, what babies. “You guys better be nicer to me or…or…or I’m gonna vote for Obama or not at all! Tell me I’m pretty. Tell me you like my hair. Tell me I’m important to you. Say something nice or I’m not gonna vote.” Stay home. I don’t want any pansy-ass whining teenage girls voting anyway. Stay the hell home and try out some new make-up or pluck your eyebrows or shave your legs or do whatever you adolescent girls do when you’re pissed off.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

LegendHasIt on April 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Eh. Maybe a couple of them did, but for the most part they’re O-bots. Whining little loser O-bots crying cuz it’s all slipping away. I’ve been here for a few…years, too.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM

He isn’t? Wow, I learn something new from you every day!

LegendHasIt on April 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You ought to change your nom. It’s not compatible with your ‘reasoning powers’.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Doughboy on April 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

What

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Said goes for me as well!

RedLizard64 on April 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

That’s pretty rich, coming from someone all but accusing Romney of buying the nomination.

And of bankrupting companies through Bain. And of “not caring about the very poor.” And every other Occupy Wall Street-inspired line of attack you guys have employed.

KingGold on April 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I have never accused him of any of those things, either implicitly or explicitly. This is, I believe, the third time you’ve accused me of something I never said or did. I never supported Christine O’Donnell. You claimed I did. You neither recognized it, nor apologized for your error.

Why? Because you’re a coward and a liar.

Now you’re utterly lying again about what I’ve said. You will not admit your error, retract, or apologize. Why? Because you’re a coward and a liar.

F**king sickening.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

It is not over yet. It may be very likely that Romney will be the nominee, there are any number of things that could come out and stop him cold turkey. The odds are in his favor, very heavily so. Regardless of that, I still hope for a better outcome than what is predicted.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Yet one more liberal hack.

Sigh…

riddick on April 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Feel free to list off the people here who have stated they are “voting for Obama”, you dishonest elitist. I haven’t, and I haven’t seen anyone who has.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

You ought to change your nom. It’s not compatible with your ‘reasoning powers’.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Oh, that’s clever. Your obvious displeasure at the accuracy of my opinion provides much…Schadenfreude.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

They were never going to vote for Romney or any other Republican or any conservative. They had a dream — a beautiful, beautiful dream — that lasted for a short while, that Santorum was going to get the GOP nod…

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Your username’s a joke, right? They voted for Santorum and wanted him oh so badly to win so they could vote for him….but they were never going to vote for any conservative or Republican? (Note that Republican/conservative dichotomy even in a ‘bot post.)

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Here’s one of your fellow travelers:

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Yeah, I was totally for Santorum, all those months I was calling him a statist theocrat.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Yeah, that’s awesome, except for the whole “doesn’t say anything about voting for Obama” part.

Aside from that, awesome.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Wow. The usual suspect O-bots have really got people rolling on here. “Here, kitty, kitty.”

Here’s a little tip:

Every “true conservative” on here who says he’s “voting for Obama” because “Romney is a liberal” was an O-bot from the get-go, OK? They were never going to vote for Romney or any other Republican or any conservative. They had a dream — a beautiful, beautiful dream — that lasted for a short while, that Santorum was going to get the GOP nod, and they KNEW Obama would swamp him ugly in the fall. That dream is slipping away, and the fella they — and Barack — wanted to avoid running against most of all — is going to get the nomination. So they’re a little cranky.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I’m not so sure some of these people don’t secretly crave for another four more years of Obama, Michele, Sasha and Malia. NO ONE on the right seems to meet their standards.

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

WHAT’S slipping away? Most of us have known squishy Mitt was going to be the nominee for quite a while now. What’s slipping away is any chance of victory with Romney’s nomination. And predictably so.

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Not a MItt Supporter (er…yet)..but this:

“Mitt good enough for 41%”

In a four way race that is excellent.

crosspatch on April 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Puts the up a valid argument. And that is what we all need to remember he has 41% of a 4-way and it is also true that 59-60% of his own party are voting against him…OR is this skewed from the several “open” primaries where the anti-conservatives help pick the candidate they thinke will LOSE to Obama…who won those states? SO yes Mitt is more likely to get the number required but I think we should at least wait until June so Us folks in Commiefornia can weigh in. ANd…I agree less time btween the open declaration of the primary winner and the actual election takes the bite out of the Obama Money/media machine being able to be effective…less time to repeat the lies they want everyone to believe.

RedLizard64 on April 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Yep, you ABR purist need to sit down, shut up, get in line and support Mitt Romney! He’s brilliant!

CTSherman on April 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

You do a disservice to schadenfreude and to rational.

Btw, nothing is slipping away. The land is already in free fall, no matter who wins.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Aside from that, awesome.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM

He’s said it over and over. Ask him. He’ll tell ya.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

And, RT, accuracy is indignant.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Their beautiful dream has suddenly turned into a nightmare, and they’re p*ssed.

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Most liberals, probably all, don’t understand the difference between a republican and a conservative. Makes it so much easier to identify these morons by their spouting online.

Easy identification chart:
Hussein – uber communist
Romney – progressive (liberal) by his own admission on camera
Coulter, Rove, Rubio, Boehner, McConnell, etc – RINO (better sounding liberal, some carry a white board)
Palin, Perry, West, Pence, DeMint – conservative

Why would any conservative vote for a liberal? A simple question that trips up so many RINOs who, even after you explain it to them slowly, multiple times at that, still don’t get it.

riddick on April 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

KingGold on April 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM

He did not buy the nomination. He relied on the tried and true method of overwhelming force and negative campaigning against his rivals. While it is something politicians do, he has done it to an extraordinary level. In at least one state, Between all of his advertisements 99% were negative and in cost it was likely close to 99.9% of spending was negative. Unfortunately, he never built himself up. He let his long time media friendly reputation carry him over the finish line. That media will not remain friendly when he is no longer preventing a conservative challenger to Obama.

As for bankrupting companies, I do not know what you call it when someone takes out a loan that a company has a high probability of not being able to repay is doing, maybe you call that expert leveraging of assets to line the pockets of myself and my friends at the minor cost of the company and the workers. yes, creating wealth is a good attribute, but I do not see how wealth was created in these instances. Of course he had some success that beat the odds or just simply did not hit any bad spots along the way, but even those he set up to under perform long term.

At the modest cost of half a billion dollars to tax payers, Romney got the Olympics to turn a private sector hundred million dollar profit, now if that is not capitalism, I just cannot fathom what it might be.

Last but not least, his absolute rock solid capitalist accomplishment must have been the medical company he ran that started bilking the tax payers out of hundreds of millions of dollars for millions of bogus tests. Not only did he take a non performing company from losses, he got it to sell more and more of its most lucrative products and made astoundingly high profits while at the same time not knowing how on earth it was all happening! Then his capitalist instincts kicked in just in the nick of time to flip that turd and sell it to someone else right before the feds came along and made that company cough up over a hundred million dollars in fines for things that they had no control over. Not only a natural capitalist, but the most amazingly stand up taking the consequences guy this world has ever known! The damage was caused under his stewardship, but the consequences were sloughed onto those suckers who bought the company just days or weeks before the feds came in to stop the fraud.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Here’s one of your fellow travelers:

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Uhhhh….yeah? Where in that comment did I say I’m voting for Obama? The only selling point the Mitt fans have now is to say that not voting for him is voting for Obama. That’s what you call one weak-ass candidate.

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Their beautiful dream has suddenly turned into a nightmare, and they’re p*ssed.

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

When you had none to lose, you lose none.

You Mitt adherents are a funny lot. Thanks for the entertainment and good luck.

The nightmare will be the children’s, and their children’s.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

He’s said it over and over. Ask him. He’ll tell ya.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I’m not asking him. I’m asking you. Clearly, it’s pointless, since you have no interest except insulting and misrepresenting the people who don’t want to vote for the man who provided the basis for ObamaCare after he finished a ten-year stint of convincing everyone that he wasn’t conservative…because they’re obviously too picky.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

That’s why they attack anybody who won’t worship at the altar of Saint Mitt the Moderate.

JannyMae on April 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Sigh.

Hyperbole and loaded language.

Santorum can stay in, but he is not going to win the nomination.

jazzuscounty on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Anyone got any more lies to share about those who don’t support Romney, leave them in the garbage bin labeled “This Is Not The Way To Win More Votes”.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

How about all of you good Mitt adherents tell us 4-5 core beliefs that Mitt has, and why one should follow him, without insulting everyone.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

You Mitt adherents are a funny lot. Thanks for the entertainment and good luck.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

And you O-bots are NOT a funny lot. You’re scary.

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

riddick on April 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Good one :)

LegendHasIt on April 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

They can heap it on me. When it gets exceptionally bac, i will call for their banning. My vote against Romney will not change barring an Angel coming to earth to tell me to vote for him, Jesus Coming to earth to tell me, or God Almighty Himself in the flesh or what ever accoutrement he wants to display himself as comes to earth to tell me to Vote for Romney. I think I will put that at about my chances of winning the lottery with a single ticket to the 36th power likely.

Like me having the right to say that I want Newt or Santorum to stay running. These people have the right to support their nominee. It is however, as you say, their method of support that makes it hard to stomach.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

So far Mitt has spent 30 million in the primaries and barely beats out a guy who runs his campaign out of the back seat of his car.

What Mitt supporters FAIL to do is try to convince us to support Mitt. Instead they lapse into adolescent name calling and they themselves are convinced that Mitt is the only person who can defeat Obama…not true at all. Elmer Fudd can defeat Obama.

Mitt has a lot of baggage. His biggest is Romneycare which didn’t get him any points in Mass. because he would have lost re-election had he not ran for a 2nd term.

I read enough about how horrible Santorum and Newt is. They suck and should drop out NOW. But give us Conservatives a reason to support Mitt without mentioning Rick or Newt?

b1jetmech on April 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM

If they do not vote for Romney and Obama is re-elected, they will be partially to blame. And that is a fact.

Gunlock Bill on April 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM

If Romney can’t beat Obama, he and he alone is to blame. Obama is eminently, if not easily, beat-able.

Romney has not deviated one millimeter from the strategy he and his team set for themselves 3 years ago. One can admire him for his discipline or disparage him for bad strategy, but he made the decision to run up the middle in the primaries, and probably a little left of middle, right of Obama (how hard is that?) in the general, focused on snagging moderates and independents along the way, a long time ago. The effect of this strategy on conservatives was a calculated risk, which he obviously assumes is worth taking. His last speeches indicate a bit more flexibility in swerving right as need arises, but the roulette wheel is already spinning, and les jeux sont faits.

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Don’t. Partly because it won’t happen, and partly because it shouldn’t. Dishonesty doesn’t deserve a ban, just identification.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

And you O-bots are NOT a funny lot. You’re scary.

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

You’re an undiscerning jan3.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

No, you’re not. Real conservatives don’t challenge the conservatism of others with insults and name-calling because they don’t want to support the candidate who spent a decade telling everyone he wasn’t conservative.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You are oblivious to your own hypocrisy, and tone deaf to irony.

Dante on April 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

And you O-bots are NOT a funny lot. You’re scary.
jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

If you only knew.
If you only knew.
You would be astounded.

LegendHasIt on April 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM

What Mitt supporters FAIL to do is try to convince us to support Mitt.

b1jetmech on April 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM

A good percentage of Santorum voters are either misinformed about how not conservative he really is, or just voting against Romney with no particular love for Santorum, or both. And Romney has been running against 3 men while they run only against just him.

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I am talking about the five sentence people who do nothing but name call and bring nothing to the argument. I had one above. They are bullies and I will call them out and ask for their removal. If they want to argue their case, that is one thing… to do nothing but attack and disparage, that is another.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

riddick on April 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Best civics lesson…on HA!

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The Count on April 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Perhaps I am wrong but as I “Count it” I have been on HOT AIR for Some Time and MAdisonConsrvative was here long before me and your name is the newbie. MC has long been an “Independent” Conservative…you I’m not so sure about..but you sure seem to like nmashing peoples buttons…like they do over at Daily KOs…I think I know who will get my vote for being the troll…though I think I would love to be proven wrong …I wish you both would tone it down a bit…makes it difficult for me to use HA to instruct my 13 year old about the nuances of conservtism…if everyone is flaiming all the time!

RedLizard64 on April 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM

conservative tarheel on April 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Thank you for the Sanity!

RedLizard64 on April 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

g2825m on April 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Again I am not yet a Romeny supporter but that being said…You have at least made a reasoable case for your candidate, like many have asked for well done, and we’ll see you at the finish line!

RedLizard64 on April 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

astonerii has stated in multiple posts that he would vote for Obama over Romney and get every one of his 20 some family members to vote for Obama over Romney.

I have kids. At this point, my first concern is to get Obama out of office. When he took office, the national debt was 7.6 trillion. It’s now about 16.4. If he is re-elected and continues
at his current pace, by the end of his second term it will be 23.3 trillion. That’s $74,000 per American. It’s a lot more per working American. I did the math myself, so it may be off by a little bit, but there is no way any of the Republican candidates would do a worse job on the deficit than Obama.

It’s almost certainly going to be Romney. He’s a businessman. Will he go 3 years with no budget? No. Does he at least understand what’s involved in balancing a budget? Yes. Does he have the spine to close unsuccessful divisions? Based on what he did at Bain-Yes.

My first 3 choices didn’t run. My next 2 have dropped out. Obama will be nearly impossible to defeat because of his charisma and the left-wing media and the low information voters that pervade this country. Every single vote will be needed to defeat him. Every single one. Every single one will need to be maximally effective. To defeat Obama-every person who cares about their children’s future has to vote for the Republican nominee. Even if that nominee is far from ideal.

There is no perfect candidate. There will never be a perfect candidate. We can’t wait for the perfect candidate.

talkingpoints on April 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

jan3 on April 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That by NO means tells me why I should support Romney.

Like said earlier, a Romney supporter needs to explain why Romeny is the Man to defeat Obama without bringing how horrible Rick and Newt are.

Round 2…

b1jetmech on April 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sigh.

Hyperbole and loaded language.

Santorum can stay in, but he is not going to win the nomination.

jazzuscounty on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Dear jazzuscounty,

You don’t read this site very much, do you?

Signed,

ABRTard who is supporting Obama if she doesn’t vote for Romney

JannyMae on April 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM

The establishment wants Rick Santorum to quit now if not sooner.

David Blue on April 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Exactly.
Like I said earlier:

“I am Marco Rubio of Borg. Lower your shields and surrender. You will be assimilated. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.”

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Is it over if Richard loses his home state ? Will you then say there has been an utter failure on the part of “conservatives” to offer a viable alternative to Rombo, and allow the War on Ocommie to commence ?

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

b1jetmech on April 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

What? You mean the following doesn’t make you want to vote for Romney?

“I think people recognize that I am not a partisan Republican. That I’m someone who is moderate, and that my views are progressive.”

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Some folks are having trouble with the Buckley rule it looks like..:)

Dire Straits on April 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Endorsements don’t mean jack: if it’s someone I like going for someone I support, great. If it’s someone I like signing on to someone I don’t like –they’re wrong, If it’s someone I don’t like coming out in favor of a candidate I support: I figure hell; even a broke clock is right twice a day.

Judge Dredd on April 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

What? You mean the following doesn’t make you want to vote for Romney?

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Come to think about it…Romney supported the individual mandate in 2009. So I think I will throw my support to him…

Oh! here is the “sarc” tag…

b1jetmech on April 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

There are 2,286 delegates to the Republican National Convention.

The nominating process is over once a candidate receives a majority of delegates: 1,144.

Until a candidate receives the vote of 1,144 delegates, the nominating process is not over.

At this point, a total of only 1,133 delegates have been awarded, spread across four candidates, with 1,153 delegates still at stake.

This is far from over.

And the increasing pressure from the establishment (of which, yes, Rubio is now a part) is actually a sign that they are concerned that a brokered convention is a very real possibility.

Romney may not get to 1,144 pledged delegates, and if he falls short in the first round of voting, those delegates that are pledged (to him or to any other candidate) would be “released” and free to vote for whomever they please.

If Romney really had the nomination in the bag, then there would be no need to pressure his competitors to quit.

If Romney really had the nomination in the bag, then he and his supporters could literally just sit back, take it easy, and enjoy seeing his competitors battle valiantly, only to see Romney still win enough remaining primaries to accumulate 1,144 pledged delegates.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Romney’s competitors ACTUALLY DOING what Romney himself publicly promised to do in 2008… to battle “all the way to the convention”.

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Racist piece of s**t.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Most Mitt Bots are ABOs at heart. The only core belief anyone needs for this election is to want the get the Commie in Chief out of the WH. The entire list of ABRs has been exhausted. Once Santorum loses PA his political career is finished. There is no one that can even be retreaded.

This election boils down to whether or not you want the marxist out of the WH or not. If you understand he has corrupted the highest level of our Country and is a threat to our future- it just doesn’t matter whether Romney warms you heart or not. He’s all there is.

If you think Oliar deserves (and could survive) comparative analysis from any contender – than he probably is not that disdainful of a prez for you in the first place – so vote for Obama in Nov. and wish for 2016.

Its no more complicated than that. To pretend Ocommie deserves another 4 years under any kind of circumstance is a self destructing path.
There is no law against self destructing.

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Seems like Sarah Palin is going to have to take a few of you over her knee and explain to you how important it is to ensure Obama is ousted. I believe she said she was confident that conservatives would rally around the nominee in November. You don’t want to disappoint her, do you?

sherry on April 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I am not someone who blindly follows Sarah Palin or any other politician. I almost always agree with Palin, but I have a mind of my own.

I didn’t support McCain in ’10, and I was ticked off at Palin for campaigning with him, although I gave her a pass for “loyalty.” I did my best to defeat him in the primary, and when that wasn’t successful, I didn’t vote for him.

I vote my conscience and what I believe is best for my country. That’s my duty and responsibility as a U.S. citizen. Sarah Palin is not going to tell me how to exercise my vote, and neither are you, sherry.

JannyMae on April 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Nope. I see Romney as a bigger long term threat to the nation than Obama. It is just the way it is. You can argue all you want, but there is not one compelling reason to see Romney as a better alternative to a shackled and chained Obama.

Judges seems to be hammer used most often by Romney supporters. Romney appointed progressives to the bench. Arguably even his most conservative nominee is likely to the left of most people in this nation. Two were out and out pro gay rights activists, how does that jive with his pro-marriage stated positions? He left 12 vacancies to be filled by his democratic replacement, something that almost never happens.

There is no compelling reason to pick Romney. He will not roll back what Obama has done. He will tarnish the brand (R). I can care less about how you want to tell me how I am able to see the future. It is all written already. No need to look to the future, people do the same stuff they did before, particularly when they are the ones in positions of power.

I spent a good part of GWBush’s terms in office up in arms against my own president, F&CK that, not doing it again. If I am going to be up in arms, I would like the guy I am up in arms against to be on the other side.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Some folks are having trouble with the Buckley rule it looks like..:)

Dire Straits on April 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Probably not the people you are thinking.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

And then we come to the beginning of the end of Romney’s political career — which, come to think of it, was even shorter than Sarah Palin’s. And then it will be the beginning of the pimping of Jeb Bush…if there’s still a GOP in 2016. Also all of those now pushing Romney will be 1) blaming all those TrueCons/ socons for Mr Electability’s drubbing at the polls and 2) telling us all how Jeb Bush (or Marco Rubio or whatever other establishment whore is next in line) is the only one who can win in 2016 and that anyone else is an unelectable joke. Just look at the polls!

Put this comment in a time capsule and see if I’m not right.

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Some folks are having trouble with the Buckley rule it looks like..:)

Dire Straits on April 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

: ) There is that other Buckley saying, the one he borrowed from his friend Whittaker Chambers, who in defecting from the Left (the Communist Party, actually) to expose Alger Hiss actually thought he was joining the losing side of history but had to do it anyway, because, as he told Bill:

To live is to maneuver.

Perhaps not everyone has finished maneuvering.

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

It’s over dummy.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

HELLO ? what do you not get about my comment? That’s fine- many people will prefer Oliar to Romney- 60 million plus. Vote Hopenchange 2.0 – If any Mittbot can’t understand your position that’s their problem.

But the fact remains, those are the only choices there are in November, and to pretend otherwise is dishonest. You can do the ABR dance for the next few months, watch a turdfight in Tampa, but you are only pretending. and you know it.

To his credit, Richard did the best of all ABRs- but in the end it was not enough. 2016.

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

This is a highly misleading summary of what happened at Damon Corporation and appears to be just a repeat of the charges hyped in the discredited video “Blood Money”. Here are the facts: Bain was a less than 10% investor in the business, the fraud started before they purchased it and Romney’s position was as a director on the board, which is very different than being someone with direct control or day-to-day oversight of the company’s operations. If Corning thought they had been duped they would have sued, which, tellingly, they did not. Four Damon executives, including the president, did go to jail because they were the ones running the company, not Bain and Romney.

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hey! You forgot to say he flip flopped on that one too because he dropped out of the race… aw nevermind.

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

It’s over dummy.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

It’s been over since 2009, dummy.

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

It’s been over since 2009, dummy.

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Anyone seen a fat lady around here?

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

It’s over dummy.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

FIFY. Why not try breaking the cycle of snippy, snappy snark?

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Why not try breaking the cycle of snippy, snappy snark?

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’m with you on that HTL. It’s just hard to do when the other side keeps flinging cr@p at you…

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

ddrintn on April 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Romney just turned 65. He spent only 4 of those years as a Governor of a socialist state. (Why he wanted that job….) The point is Romney IS NOT a politician- and probably sees himself as a problem solver first. He- like Palin – OWES NO ONE. And that is what most important to me. Like Ron Johnson in Wisconsin- no political crony BS there. I’m tired of these corrupt career politicians entitled to enriching themselves and screwing over the taxpayer- ON BOTH SIDES of the aisle. Term limits ? you betcha!

Maybe thats what gripes alot of you ABRs in a subliminal sorta way- that Romney is enough of a politician. I don’t know, but screw that.

Why is OUR government so effed up ? what are the constants ?

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Why is OUR government so effed up ? what are the constants ?

FlaMurph on April 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I wish I could eloquently summarize it but I can’t. Corruption and cronyism are the two worst parts of it. A lack of real statesmen willing to dive in? Real statesmen who dive in but get corrupted?

When things started going bad was when politicians started turning the Federal government into what the state governments used to be. The real power brokers. The Fed has enumerated powers (limited), states have unenumerated powers (maximal).

When the Fed started overruling the states on the little things, that’s when and why our government is so effed up. The states need to take their powers back and eliminate the Fed’s assumed authorities.

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

It’s over

I can’t resist…

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Anyone seen a fat lady around here?

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Here ya go. Not sure why people like that phrase. The big-bosomed lady in the brass brassiere only sings when it’s really ALL over– the end of everythingGötterdämmerung.

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

LOVED Jim Belushi in that role! Thanks for the memories.

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Funny. Future Senator Blutarsky really did have a way of hitting the nail on the head. But it also reminds me of the parody of the (stupid) liberal complaint that we responded to 9-11 by attacking Iraq, which points out that when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor we attacked…Germany!?!

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

eewwww! Opera!

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM

LOVED Jim Belushi in that role! Thanks for the memories.

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Um…

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

eewwww! Opera!

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM

About twenty years ago a couple of friends of mine invited me to attend Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg with them. I wish they had told me to pack a lunch…that performance was the longest two weeks of my life (or so it seemed).

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Um…

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Derp!

I stand corrected.

With Jim still around I typed his name when I meant John…

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM

ITguy on April 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

OK, you got me there. And I’m sorry for saying, “dummy.” I’ll try to heed HTL and SK’s advice :-)

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

The river maidens have their ring back and everything. It’s well and truly over.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I’ve tried to watch a few on TV when surfing channels, if I happened across a channel with one on, and I just can’t do it.

Thought about widening my culture on occasion but just can’t bring myself to do it. I’ve been to Orchestras and enjoyed those but opera’s… not so much. Especially in a language I don’t understand.

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Or as Anna Russell reminds us, right back where we started.

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

There’s opera and there’s Wagner. Wagner is in a class all by himself.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Wagner!

Bmore on April 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

There’s opera and there’s Wagner. Wagner is in a class all by himself.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I can listen to Wagner all day (and do at least once a month), but watching an opera in a suit and tie in a stuffy concert hall? Not interested.

In fact, I guess I’ve heard many operas before, but ask me to sit down and watch one?

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m a classical music buff, but there hasn’t been an opera written that could hold my attention after the overture. I particularly recommend Offenbach, Verdi, Rossini, Mozart, and the Leonore Overture No. 3 by Beethoven (an earlier and better version of what eventually became the overture to Fidelio). And, I suppose Tannhauser by Wagner.

What is really much better, however, is Gilbert and Sullivan. Sir Arthur Sullivan was actually a very talented composer in the genre of the light opera (everything else he wrote was very tedious). If you haven’t seen it, the movie Topsy Turvy, about the making of The Mikado, was excellent. If you look for performances, however, you want the ones by the D’Oyly Carte Opera Company, not the more recent adaptions.

Sorry for going off topic there. Am I banned?

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Or as Anna Russell reminds us, right back where we started.

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I have that CD! So you’ve also heard her piece on “how to write your own Gilbert and Sullivan operetta”, yes?

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I wouldn’t think of wearing a tie. I don’t care who points and turns up their noses at me.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

;-)

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I’m sorry

MJBrutus on April 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Wow. I don’t think I’ve seen those words before in any comments section anywhere…I always assumed there was some sort of a filter that just screened them out. Thanks for proving my theory wrong!

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yes. And also a big G&S and Topsy Turvy fan. (O/T… no wait… if Sir Arthur were alive today, he might write of Mitt Romney: “He is the very model of a modern moderate Republican.”

Okay, gentlemen and ladies, resume your fisticuffs.

de rigueur on April 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

He’s said it over and over. Ask him. He’ll tell ya.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

And, RT, accuracy is indignant.

I don’t recall seeing anyone, not even one, poster from before the last open registration or who isn’t a self-identified liberal state that they were going to vote for Obama. I’ve seen people state they’d stay home or leave it blank or write in something else, but not that they’d “vote for Obama”.

You may you think not casting an R vote in the president section is a vote for Obama, but that’s entirely *your* interpretation. I have not seen someone state it explicitly.

Sorry. You might want to amend your statement or spend some time trying to find a cite.

kim roy on April 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

A number of larger cities have theaters that run broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera on the big screen; jeans and tee-shirts are dressing up.
(My sister attends Houston Opera regularly and she says that J&T are almost de rigueur now, even in the stuffy concert halls.)

Sorry for going off topic there. Am I banned?

HTL on April 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I certainly hope not! — but it sounds like quite a few people up-thread “have got a little list”.

AesopFan on April 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

what a douche. over half the country hsnt had a chance to vote and this a-hole is declaring things over. i wont support the republican party if they keep trying to disenfranchise me in the primary.

chasdal on April 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM