Coca-Cola caves to progressive boycott threat over indirect support for voter ID laws

posted at 10:30 am on April 5, 2012 by Tina Korbe

It’s a perennial clash between conservatives and progressives: Do voter ID laws represent a legitimate attempt to curb voter fraud or do they represent a sinister attempt to disenfranchise minority voters?

Progressives strongly maintain the latter — and they stand ready to mobilize against any attempts to institute voter ID laws. The American Legislative Exchange Council supports such laws, and companies like Coca-Cola, Inc., and Walmart Stores, Inc., are affiliated with ALEC. The progressive group Color for Change threatened to boycott Coca-Cola over its support for ALEC — and, within five hours, Coke had withdrawn its support for the conservative legislators’ group.

The Center for American Progress blog ThinkProgress touted the victory. It’s only a victory, though, if their arguments against voter ID laws are sound. CAP maintains that voter fraud is actually quite rare — and research from the Brennan Center for Justice appears to back up that claim. According to Brennan, it is more likely that an individual will be struck by lightning than that he will impersonate another voter at the polls. James O’Keefe’s video to support voter ID laws proves that election officials probably wouldn’t catch such impersonations — but it doesn’t prove that those impersonations are frequent.

When conservatives speak of “voter fraud,” though, we’re talking about more than just outright impersonation attempts. It would probably be more accurate of us to use the term “election fraud” because we’re also talking about forged signatures on primary ballots, faked absentee ballots, voter intimidation efforts and, yes, the sort of ignorance that leads ineligible voters — convicted felons, for example, or illegal immigrants — to think themselves eligible, cast votes and have their votes counted. Election fraud is still widespread — and still affecting the outcome of votes in unfair ways. Would voter ID laws correct all of the problems in the system? No, but that’s why reformers usually wish to combine voter ID laws with other measures to ensure the fairest possible elections for all.

Yes, voter ID laws would make it more difficult for eligible voters without a government ID to vote — but shouldn’t we work to correct the problem that some eligible voters somehow don’t have any form of government identification rather than attack the ID laws themselves? Nobody wants to disenfranchise anybody — except maybe the dead.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Give me a Pepsi please!

lhuffman34 on April 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Well after the “Save the Polar Bears” code, does this really surprise anyone?

OT Where is Ed? I know I have been gone a while.

upinak on April 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I don’t consider dead people or Disney characters to be “minority” voters. I guess Democrats do.
Rememeber what Ike Eisenhower said, “Beware of the Democrat Organized Corruption Complex”, or something to that effect.

LA Conservative on April 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Soda kills. Drink beer.

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The problem is the regressive progressives have all the time in the world to agitate and intimidate. The rest of us in the silent majority of decent Americans have to waste our time on such frivolities as work.

Or thanks to SCOAMF, desperately looking for work. Any company that knuckles under to thugs like Sharpton and Jackson deserves what they get. These bastards are in your pockets forever. Now that’s the real thing, Coke.

Rixon on April 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Give me a Pepsi please!

lhuffman34 on April 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Nope. They changed their logo to resemble the “O” logo.

When will these companies realize that liberals who threaten to boycott them aren’t their customers?

wildcat72 on April 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Fist Pepsi gives their logo to The Won and now Coke caves. These things have probably don’t more to curb soft drink consumption than all of Mrs. Obama’s nagging.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Give me a Pepsi please!

lhuffman34 on April 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Nope. They changed their logo to resemble the “O” logo.

wildcat72 on April 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I’m with ya. There was no way that was an accident.

And isn’t Pepsi the parent company of KFC and Taco bell? I can’t give up my fast food but I try to avoid those places for that reason.

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I didn’t quite get why they were part of the effort to begin with.

Dang, Coke is my beverage, and mixer, of choice. Time to go with Royal Crown I guess.

cozmo on April 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

don’t should be done. Geesh, not even close.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I am boycotting coke for caving.

jake49 on April 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

OT Where is Ed? I know I have been gone a while.

upinak on April 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Vacation

cozmo on April 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Having a modest understanding of the CocaCola political leanings. I am not surprised by this news.

Bmore on April 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

This is what concerns me about the SC and Barack’s threats to the justices. Few people — and fewer corporations — have the stomach to withstand the professional left’s full assault. They go scorched earth — attack their children, their parents, their neighbors, anything and everything — Coco-Cola’s management knows this, and so do the SC justices.

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I need an ID to:

Fly
Drive
Buy a gun
Write a check
Buy a big item on a credit card
Buy alcohol
Buy certain antihistamines
Buy insurance
Rent a car
Adopt a pet
Get a loan
Rent an apartment
Buy a car
Get married
Buy a fishing license
Buy a hunting license
Buy cigarettes
Be admitted to a hospital
Apply for welfare
Apply for food stamps

Speaking of which…I wish the f’ng Dems would boycott Food Stamps, Welfare and public housing…

PatriotRider on April 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

cozmo on April 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Royal Crown + Crown Royal.

Sounds like a match made in heaven. :-)

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

We have Motor Voter here in Texas. The Chronicle leads the wailing campaign about 700,000 people don’t have valid IDs and they are therefore disenfranchised.

Except for one problem…we have videos of locals that list reasons for not having IDs and one of them is they don’t WANT IDs because they don’t want to be served warrants they know are know are out on them.

But hey, that have a right to vote as many times as they want right?

DanMan on April 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

RC Cola is incredibly underrated.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that Coke and Wal-mart historically contribute to the Republican party, opposite of their corporate rivals.

Perhaps I’ll gain more rights if I renounce my citizenship and live here ‘illegally’.

Blacksoda on April 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

The hysteria from the left over demanding a photo ID vote is arguably the most disingenuous not to mention condescending nonsense I think I’ve ever heard from that bunch, and that’s saying something in the wake of the crap we were subjected to during the Bush Presidency.

A photo ID is something virtually everyone in this country has. Seriously, on me at the moment, I have a driver’s license and a work ID. At home, I’ve got a passport and old student IDs from college. And if the voter ID laws are more lenient and don’t require that the identification we present include a photo, then you could throw in a Social Security card as well.

What person out there who bothers to make the trek to the polling station doesn’t have at least one of those forms of ID? Shoot, you need a damn photo ID to make most credit card purchases, to buy liquor or cigs, and to conduct most transactions at the bank. These are activities 99% of the population engages in on a semi-regular basis. Believe me, it won’t inconvenience them to have to whip out that card when they show up to vote.

Doughboy on April 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Those out to destroy our country, such as by doing all they can to keep voter fraud available to democrats, are tireless. They work while we sleep.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

RC Cola is incredibly underrated.

MadisonConservative on April 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Yep, but not as easy to get from the fountain at 7-11.

cozmo on April 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Two points.

First, how the hell does anybody exist without some form of government ID? Even the I-9 form for employment requires some form of ID. Is this really a problem for the vast majority of legitmate voters?

Secondly, if disenfranchisement is the issue try being a Republican in Maryland (or any of the deep blue states). The state is being driven into the ground by the voters in Montgomery, Baltimore, and Prince Georges County. No other voters count.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

You have to have an ID to get food stamps the EBT entitlement. Just sayin’.

DavidW on April 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I don’t blame them for caving, and don’t hold it against them…no company wants to deal with that kind of garbage.

The fact that voter ID laws are even a point of contention, though, is mind-boggling. I’m asked for an ID when I go to vote (in VA)…it’s not exactly a huge burden to get one or produce it when asked. You can’t really do much without an ID anyway, so getting one ought to be encouraged.

changer1701 on April 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Dang it. I love coke, now they make me want to stop buying their product

Why kowtow….Cripe

cmsinaz on April 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Most Democrat arguments are premised on the idea that everyone except white males are retards who can’t do basic things for themselves. But those groups don’t seem to mind being treated that way, which could sort of lead you to believe that all demographics except for white males have bought into the Democrat premise that they are worthless lowlifes incapable of any standards.

Buddahpundit on April 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Clearly, voter ID laws are a right-wing scheme to disenfranchise key Democratic constituencies, including felons, illegal immigrants, and the deceased.

Mr. Prodigy on April 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Rational Thought on April 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

That is pretty much what went through my head when I read this earlier. Just like the Banks caving to ACORN so goes these company’s caving to the newer versions of ACORN.

CoffeeLover on April 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Gosh, we live in a world full of wussies. No one wants to take a stand for what is right, and EVERYONE it seems is afraid of being called a name.

search4truth on April 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

That’s simple: no more Coke. Buh-bye…

chai on April 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

If conservatives just complained directly to companies like the left does we would get everything we want. Right now Van Jones and his friends are threatening Coke. If every rush listener threaten Coke not to side with Van Jones they wouldn’t. They’d tell him to go to Hell.

cw10036 on April 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Never was much for Coca Cola – we used it to loosen rusty bolts, loosen tires that were stuck to the rims, things like that. Then they came out with the ad mentioned by “upinak’ about saving the Artic so the Polar Bears would have a home too. So then I started avoiding any product owned by them as much as I can.

oldbearak on April 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Nobody wants to disenfranchise anybody

Wrong. The people supporting voter and electoral fraud (and both kinds are rampant — you didn’t discuss absentee voter fraud) like Color of Change are certainly trying to disenfranchise people. They’re trying to disenfranchise people who don’t vote Democratic. That’s why they defend and promote voter and electoral fraud; they need the votes of fictional voters, dead voters, illegal alien voters, felon voters, etc., to cancel out the votes of U.S. citizens who don’t vote the Democratic ticket.

Democrats “win” elections using voter and electoral fraud. You really think that’s not disenfranchising legitimate voters who didn’t vote for the “winning” Democratic candidate?

AZCoyote on April 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I really think that businesses should concentrate on selling their products or providing their services and stay out of politics. It has always been a liberal/marxist venue of intimidation to try to harm businesses or people to whom they disagree. Inspite of this, they do intimidate many businesses to support them, or the business owners (and say hollywood morons) feel it is incumbent of them to inflict their political views on the rest of us. Would ALL you businesses attend to your own business and stay out of politics?

Old Country Boy on April 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

And how are the Republicans responding? Please, show some backbone!!! That goes for the Supremes as well….

chai on April 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Was sitting here indulging my lifelong passion (about 60 years now) for Coke when I read this one. They won’t feel it from little old me, but I will henceforth find another beverage of choice.

Royal Crown Cola will work for me! Now, where are those Moon Pies?

gepaza on April 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

LOL at all the people saying they are boycotting Coca-Cola. Oh no, they may make 100 bajillion dollars this year instead of 200 bajillion!

inthemiddle on April 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Don’t be angry with Coke. Their goal is to be non-political, they’re not siding with the election cheaters, they’re not siding with anyone.

Interesting to see how the Democrats will go all out to protect voter fraud at all costs. Must be their Achilles heel, and an easy one to cut.

bernverdnardo1 on April 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Well after the “Save the Polar Bears” code, does this really surprise anyone?

upinak on April 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Polar Bears are RACIST!

They must be forced to integrate!

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on April 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Phooey. I liked Coke Zero, but after Pepsi modeled its logo on Obama’s symbol and now Coke pulls this boneheaded move, I’ll be buying the store brand cola from here . . .

natasha333 on April 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Why kowtow….Cripe

cmsinaz on April 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’m guessing that Coca Cola is particularly susceptible to pressure from the left, since they are based in Atlanta, a city with a large minority population. And minorities tend to vote for Democrats. So they probably have to deal with a lot of “local” pressure too, on top of the national boycott.

I don’t know how much market share they have vs. Pepsi, but it’s a very competitive market, so every little bit counts.

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

This is the perfect opportunity for a massive boycott of all businesses that don’t agree with voter id laws. Boycotts are difficult for conservatives, but this one will make it easy. There is absolutely no good reason not to support voter id and any business that doesn’t support it are not worthy of a continued existence. They have to argue that whites are evil disenfranchisers to not support it.

Buddahpundit on April 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Capitulation.

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I guess there’s always RC Cola.

trigon on April 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Sad that The Coca-cola company caved. Doesn’t matter, we all must push for voter ID laws and soon no more libturd voter fraud will occur.

That is the only reason they oppose it.

dogsoldier on April 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Capitulation.

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Does that mean you have given up hope…of ever getting a date?

cozmo on April 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

So, the correct answer is, “I don’t agree with voter fraud and, as a CEO at Coca Cola, I’m willing to tell my distributors that, upon request from a person who has NO PICTURE ID, they’ll be required to do everything in their power to make sure the person, not only has a picture I.D., but a ride to the polling station to vote, if they so desire.”

bflat879 on April 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Don’t automatically jump on the Pepsi bandwagon just because Coca Cola caved in this instance.

PepsiCo divested itself of its fast-food restaurant interests but it still has its hands in a lot of fast foods and related foodstuffs. They’re up there with Nestle.

A bigger problem for Pepsi is that they were (probably still are) doing business with a company called Senomyx (of course, Pepsi is not the only one). Senomyx makes flavor enhancers and to test one or more of their flavors – which Pepsi does or wants to use – they are using human cells (how I don’t understand). Aborted fetal cells. I’ve written a very long drawn out post on the topic, covering the dilemma of boycotts. It gets a fair amount of regular viewings, so people are aware of it… and it’s not some conspiracy theory or wacky fear mongering.

I’ll take RC Cola and Dr. Pepper any day of the week, but if I have to, I’ll drink Coca Cola over Pepsi. Never liked Pepsi… too sweet, tastes flat.

Logus on April 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

This is ridiculous.

ALEC most likely has very little to do with any of these voter ID laws. It is mostly concerned with state legislation that promotes business and economic growth, and free-market solutions to policy issues. Which is why it gets support from companies like Coca-Cola. Social issues are very low on its agenda.

Sounds like more desperation on the Left to achieve any kind if “victory.” I can’t wait to see all these people out of jobs and influence come next January.

rockmom on April 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Soft drinks are nasty anyway. This is just one more company I can’t boycott because I already avoid their product.

juliesa on April 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Don’t know if it’s true, this statement was attributed to Ben Stein “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured……. but not everyone must prove they are a citizen”.

TulsAmerican on April 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Mr. Prodigy on April 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

If the dead get to vote, can we at least take a second look at Zombie Reagan?

RINO in Name Only on April 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

No, Pepsi once owned KFC and Taco Bell, but several years ago they sold them to a group of investors (who also purchased other fast foods joints like Long John Silver) who now trade under the ticker symbol YUM. Pepsi (PEP) and YUM are different companies, with different ownership and management.

AZCoyote on April 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Rush Limbaugh better expand to the cola business, quick.

Buddahpundit on April 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The US is plain nuts

In canada, not a perfect place by ANY means, you have to show ID to vote..

And this is controversial in the US ?

You have to show ID to buy a pack of smokes or booze ? and not to Vote !?!

wow
Just wow

and dumb….

J

Gauthijm on April 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Buddahpundit on April 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

That’s why it’s so condescending and borderline racist. The Dems seems to be saying(without explicitly saying it of course) that many blacks and Hispanics are incapable of getting a photo ID. Because last time I checked, no one is denied a driver’s license at the DMV if they’re not white. Same goes for student IDs at school. Or passports at the post office. Or work IDs at their place of employment. Anyone can get a photo ID in this country if they know where to go and are willing to take a few hours out of their day to do so.

So the only conclusion I can come up with if one is to generously assume the Democrats are not protesting voter ID laws in order to perpetuate voter fraud in elections, is that they believe minorities are too stupid or lazy to get a photo ID.

Doughboy on April 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I would boycott Coke but I gave up carmel colored sugary sludge for beer.

NoDonkey on April 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

They didn’t want the hassle. The fact that these boycots rarely if ever affect a company’s bottom line isn’t relevant.

Entire BANKS boycotting South Africa during Apartheid, and in real terms a bank has a bit more clout than a bunch of progressive activist types.

SA was still able to conduct business on the global capital markets…

CorporatePiggy on April 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I knew they would cave. Leftists and dirty, Chicago, gestapo style, Alinsky politics are going to start a war in this country. Because the normal, silent majority will only take it so long. Maybe that’s what they want, who knows. Oh well, I never drink Coke anyway, guess I won’t start now.

Meople on April 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Buffet equals Coke.

Did he know what Coke was doing?

goatweed on April 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Capitul Masturbation.

KeninCT on April 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

But enough about your love life.

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

my message to them
“Coke was quick to react to the political boycott threat, pulling support from the targeted group just five hours after it was called.”
Just to let you know. Unlike the progressive people that you just caved to. Me and my wife have long memories, and we are also very good at sacrificing to ensure our money does not go to those who actively work against the best interest of the United States of America. I personally have not eaten at McDonalds for 32 years due to actions they took in the late 70s. We have stopped going to Darden Restaurant Establishments, notably the Olive Garden that started to implement the first lady’s nanny state government healthy food initiative. I guess I am glad I did not do my grocery shopping last night, as I was going to buy some sprite for my wife. Thank you for giving me an easy place to see all the products that me an my wife can wipe from our shopping list at http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/brands/brandlist.html.

Coke can be replaced with Pepsi. Sprite with 7 UP, For Root Beer, I can easily go to store brand, they all taste pretty much the same. I can avoid Minute Maid and drink Florida’s. Nature’s Own is a favorite of mine, but I think I can find a replacement in the bread aisle.

It is really hard to believe that Coke does not understand voter’s rights. The absolute very first right we should have when voting is to know that our vote will not be stolen from us by an illegitimate vote. In fact, the only thing that makes our voting work is the idea that our votes actually count. The integrity of the vote allows people of vastly differing backgrounds to live under a single law, knowing that each of our voices matters at the ballot box. That is why it is important that people who vote show that they are really supposed to be voting. You were supporting a company that was pushing for a fair vote, but got easily intimidated by a bunch of people who have no ability to actually boycot you. These are the same people that call for capitalism to fall while at the same time wearing designer jeans, $125 t-shirts, sporting the latest iPhone. Do you really think they will sacrifice to get a point across to you? Well, I am willing to sacrifice. The list of companies I do not do business with grows by the year. Unless you stand up and do your part in keeping your home country safe from voter fraud, I will no longer buy your products.

astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don’t know anything about ALEC except for what rockmom just wrote (thanks), and for what I read in lefty comments. The Huffers think it’s a Koch-run spawn of the devil, responsible for every law they see as bad, like the Stand Your Ground laws. And…Koch! Also, skittles.

juliesa on April 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Coca Cola is comprised of a gaggle of gutless bums. Their value system is far below the dollar bill. I’ll stop buying Coca Cola but for an entirely different reason.

rplat on April 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

oldbearak on April 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

It is a dandy tenderizer for slow cooked brisket, but I suspect others will do.

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The progressive group Color for Change

Founded by none other than Van Jones.

Funny isn’t it, most places ask for an ID if you order a Rum & COKE!

Goodbye Sprite – hello 7UP.

btw, Arbys caved to the Stop Rush group yesterday and pulled their advertising from his show.

Flora Duh on April 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

If I only I could be as clever as your average hot air poster.

earlgrey133 on April 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The progressive attempts at outright intimidation will continue as long as companies like Coca-Cola continue to cave into it. These progressives are nothing more than glorified bullies.

What’s next Coca-Cola? Are you prepared to fork over 10% of your annual profits to a “fairness” tax for “social justice”? Now that the progressives know what kind wimp you are, be prepared to keep handing over your lunch money every week!

powerpickle on April 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The only people that get by without a photo-ID these days are people that live off the land, like Ted Kaczynski when he was trying to be invisible. And I don’t think voting was high on Kaczynski’s priority list at the time.

RBMN on April 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

gepaza on April 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I needed to provide proof of my child’s ID to enroll them in school. So do Democrats not send their kids to school since ID laws are racist?

Of course this is about manipulating the vote. It’s about pushing as many ineligible voters through the booths as possible, not impersonations.

goflyers on April 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Profile in Cowardice: Coca-Cola

Profile in Courage: Mark Stevens

Subject line: The Battle for America

Ever since I appeared on the Stuart Varney show in response to the “terrorism” — Rush Limbaugh advertising boycott — directed at me and my company, my team and my clients, it has set off a chain reaction of emails being sent to me from citizens across the country:

* Seals have volunteered to protect our offices.

* Retired police officers are asking if they can help in anyway.

* Citizens want to play a role, join the stand and contribute to the cause. They are thanking me for having the courage to stand up for free speech and for the American Dream.

Thousands upon thousands are writing, calling –frightened that their nation is slipping away.

Sad, angry, suffocated, they no longer feel as if they live in a democracy.

They are tired of the talking heads. Of the politically correct. Of the minority rule. Of the loss of the meaning of the Constitution. Of the weakening of our armed forces. Of the war on business. Of the ass-kissing of America haters.

They are the real Americans. They work. They send their children to war. They pay taxes. They want nothing for free. They are tired of being ignored.

My message helped them see that “they” have the real power. Peaceful but over whelming power. They will use it. We will do so together. We will prevail.

The battle for American values is beginning and we will win.

Mark Stevens

CEO

MSCO | The Art and Science of Growing Businesses

Resist We Much on April 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

That’s the thing that gets me. Every voter ID law I’m aware of requires the state to issue a photo ID card for free to any registered voter that requests them. Yes, you’d have to go to the trouble of going to the license branch and proving you are who you say you are, but you’d have to do that for any photo ID, and this option doesn’t cost you money so the only barrier is getting your fat buttocks off the couch and doing it.

PerceptorII on April 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Maybe Hot Air or Michelle Malkin could get this petition for businesses going so it gets traction. Just call it “Businesses not opposed to requiring ID to vote”, if you want. There will certainly be some brands that will let us know it’s safe to buy their products.

I’m tellin’ ya, man, you can start a real hellstorm with this.

Buddahpundit on April 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

If you are too stupid to get an ID, you’re too stupid to vote.

Kjeil on April 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Question: When I check into the local county hospital using my new federally-mandated health insurance, can I check in as “Mickey Mouse?” Does that work?

RBMN on April 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Coke Zero suddenly has a bitter taste. Diet RC cola anyone!

ClanDerson on April 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I don’t even understand how this ID discrimination argument stands the laugh test. And yet a big corporation like Coca Cola folds like a cheap suit. Where is the logic?

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Profile in Cowardice: Coca-Cola

Profile in Courage: Mark Stevens

Subject line: The Battle for America

* Seals have volunteered to protect our offices.

* Retired police officers are asking if they can help in anyway.

Sad, angry, suffocated, they no longer feel as if they live in a democracy.

The battle for American values is beginning and we will win.

Mark Stevens
CEO
MSCO | The Art and Science of Growing Businesses

Resist We Much on April 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The whining in my neck of the woods here in PA seems to be muted about the recent passage of a voter ID bill, which won’t take effect until the general election anyway.

Frankly, the disenfranchisement argument is completely lost on me in any case from the first time I had to present my photo driver’s license to be able to buy sinus decongestant pills.

PatriotGal2257 on April 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Kjeil on April 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Or get on a plane, buy beer, cigarettes, enroll in school, use your own damn credit card and the list goes on and on.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Chee’burger, Chee’burger!! No Coke!! Pepsi!!!

coldwarrior on April 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Thanks UB

Shameful IMHO

cmsinaz on April 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The soft bigotry of low expectations = a voter being incapable of getting a voter ID card.

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Coke, schmoke…nothing can take the place of an RC Cola…and a MoonPie if you can find one.

coldwarrior on April 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I wish the f’ng Dems would boycott Food Stamps, Welfare and public housing…

No chance….that’s a big way the party buys its voter loyalty.

If you are too stupid to get an ID, you’re too stupid to vote.

Logically that is the way it should be. But then, that would disqualify a huge number of dem voters. Actually most of them.
Clearly that would be bigoted and discriminatory.

hawkeye54 on April 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Many can play at this game, Coca-Cola: http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/brands/brandlist.html
Choose to pay Cola-Cola back and teach them the lesson that playing politics is a two-edged sword by avoiding these brands when you make your purchasing decisions, if you would like to express your feelings this way.

ExpressoBold on April 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Water is the real “real thing”.

Straight from the tap into a glass. So easy, even a liberal could do it.

Pouring it out is another matter for the libs… even with the instructions printed on the bottom of the cup.

reaganaut on April 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

So Coke, as in institution, doesn’t think blacks are civilized enough to get an ID, as any new legal immigrant would know to do?

That is the exact position put forth by most white liberals.

MNHawk on April 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

gepaza on April 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

coldwarrior on April 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Thank you, gepaza…thought I was the only one. :-)

coldwarrior on April 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Let the dems boycot Coke.

Why don’t we, the hard working, tax paying patriots boycot Coke stock.

Sell your damn Coke shares in your IRA, 401(k), personal accounts etc and buy something else.

Let the dead, homeless, and those on welfare step up and purchase all the shares and support the stock. LOL

Maybe a program like that would get the attention of Coke execs in Atlanta.

txdoc on April 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Simple, drink more water.

DDay on April 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

There’s no reason that Coke should be involved with a purely partisan organization from a business point of view. Now one begrudges their membership in the extremely conservative Chamber of Commerce, but when they start cutting checks fro groups that want to gut the EPA, fight for “no retreat” laws and suppress minority voting, they’ve crossed a line. It’s not just that I disagree with them, it’s that they’ve made a very bad business decision by supporting an organization whose actions — if known — would pi&& off tens of millions of potential customers.

urban elitist on April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

If I only I could be as clever as your average hot air poster.

earlgrey133 on April 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You’re too kind.

Stick around, some of our “attitude” will rub off on you. :-)

UltimateBob on April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

There’s a more important reason than the new logo not to support Pepsi. They have a contract with Senomyx. This explains why that’s bad:

T.D.D. on April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Well, I agree with Voter ID and I am saddened by the passing of COKE. As a coke addict I would like to thank them for doing what no diet has been able to do before. I won’t be buying Coke anymore and my husband will be thrilled.

SgtRed on April 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

DDay on April 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I’m with W.C. Fields on the subject of actually drinking water.

coldwarrior on April 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM