Quotes of the day

posted at 10:49 pm on April 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

“OK, I’ll concede that contest is getting close to over as well. Mitt Romney will almost certainly be the GOP nominee. Rick Santorum is entitled to stay in the race, and to offer voters in the remaining states an alternative. But it’s probably time for him to do what Mike Huckabee did in similar circumstances in 2008—basically to stop attacking the almost inevitable nominee, and instead to adjust his own message going forward to a positive and issues-based one.

“For his part, Romney is entitled to savor a hard-earned victory. But not for long. He needs to begin to figure out how to win the general election. In a way, the remaining two months of primaries is a great opportunity for Romney. On the surface, he can go through the motions of finishing up the nomination campaign, using his current team and delivering his familiar message. It will look like business as usual. But beneath the surface, Romney should be quietly but purposefully developing a new and much improved business plan for the fall. Absent adjustment, Romney’s effort to unseat the incumbent president now feels destined to recapitulate the losing efforts of Bob Dole in 1996 or John Kerry in 2004. But the good news is that Romney is cold-blooded and hardheaded. He didn’t put himself through all this to run a respectable losing general election race. He may be more willing and able than most politicians to change his team, to challenge conventional thinking, and to invite fresh ideas for the conduct and strategy of his fall campaign.”

***

“Eleven months and several rival campaign meltdowns later, Romney is widely viewed as the presumptive GOP nominee. The campaign touts his consistency, the fact that he has repeatedly drawn valid distinctions between the Massachusetts and federal laws and never wavered in his opposition to the president’s signature accomplishment. ‘Every time the issue of health care was front and center, he made it very clear where he stood,’ said Kevin Madden, a Romney adviser. ‘Because of that, it was an issue he successfully navigated in the primary.’

“Romney’s critics, however, offer an alternative explanation for his success at burying his health care record.

“‘People have certainly had the opportunity to hear that Romneycare was the basis for Obamacare, and he still won a lot of primaries. That says something,’ said Chris Chocola, president of the conservative Club for Growth. ‘I think what it says is that there wasn’t a compelling alternative.’

***

“Tonight on CNN, Robert Ehrlich, Mitt Romney’s Maryland campaign chair, suggested that voters — particularly women — would not be exposed to Romney’s ‘real views’ until the general election. Ehrlich said that once women ‘see’ Romney’s ‘real views,’ the gender gap between him and President Obama would dissipate.”

***

“‘The Republican establishment — I’ve yet to meet a single person in the Republican establishment that thinks Mitt Romney is going to win the general election this year,’ Scarborough continued. ‘They won’t say it on TV because they’ve got to go on TV and they don’t want people writing them nasty emails. I obviously don’t care. But I have yet to meet anybody in the Republican establishment that worked for George W. Bush, that works in the Republican congress, that worked for Ronald Reagan that thinks Mitt Romney is going to win the general election.’”

***

Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

LOL – if Willard actually has a pair of nuts he’s NEVER shown them!

HondaV65 on April 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

No you don’t have to pick the lesser of two evils. It RARELY is that simple. You vote for a good man or a good woman as opposed to a bad man or woman.

Romney is NOT somebody you vote for. Neiter is Obama. Therefore, do not vote for either.

Sapwolf

Amen

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

LOL – if Willard actually has a pair of nuts he’s NEVER shown them!

HondaV65 on April 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

LLOL! I also had to laugh at the NYT headline in the news items above focusing on Romney’s extremism?! I’m like where!??! WHEN!?? Which Romney are they talking about and on which day?!?!

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Amen

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Sure. That’s why Ross Perot won. Oh, he didn’t? What did he really accomplish in the end? Hint…it was really important.

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This is what the Rombots have missed in their zombie-like chanting about Willard’s electability:
His status as a mushy east-cost milquetoast democrat-lite won’t save him against a media behemoth that, (regardless of how much of a sell-out Romney is), will paint him as standing to the right of David Duke.

This is why you choose a real, strong conservatives to run for president. As a republican nominee, are going to be pigeonholed by the media and $1,000,000,000.00 USD in Obama machine money as a wingnut no matter how much of a RINO you are. You might as well be someone who can own it.

Willard Fillmoure Romneycare is the worst of everything. He will be painted to be the second coming of George W. Bush by the media, and he’s abhorrent to his supporters because he’s for all practical purposes, a democrat.

Go Team Republican!!

/vomit

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I don’t know, Republicans took the House after how many years? I’m voting for Gov. Romney but I have to agree with those who complain of the choices served up to us Republicans time after time. Maybe it’s the best they can do but it smells like fear to me.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

What’s the point of winning when it’s democrat A v.s. democrat B running? I get to be sold out by my own mascot?

Oh! Yay! So I get to have unsuitable supreme court justices picked for me by a Massachusetts Democrat instead of a Chicago Democrat! Oh the excitement. Can’t you just feel the energy!

-_-

I will never cast a ballot for that man, and I will spend my every breath from now till November trying to convince others of the same. Unsupportable.

The thought of helping an evil, soulless throat slitter like Willard get in office is more “the party” has a right to ask of me.

Time for a new party.

This one is has jumped off the moral event horizon.

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Of course. I would like a better menu also. I thought that was what the Tea Party was supposed to do for us. Remember, we had Perry…for a while. And whatshername from MN. What happened? You and I both know what happened. So, we deal with the cards left to play. Most of us don’t like it, but, we had our chances. I have little patience with sore losers.

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

if Willard actually has a pair of nuts he’s NEVER shown them!

HondaV65 on April 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I do hope that’s not what Mrs. Romney was referring to when she said, “we better unzip him and let the real Mitt Romney out.”

Flora Duh on April 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

a capella on April 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I am pragmatic, and will join you in voting for Gov. Romeny but I find the sore winners equally annoying. That is not directed at you.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

How demoralizing and makes me want to go back to the days of “a pox on both their houses”. Plus, if the republican party was really all that concerned about people staying home, you’d think they’d offer something better than “this”!?!

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I think they are playing chicken with the base.

The Republican establishment reptiles are making the cold-blooded calculation that their base will bow their heads in shame and subjugation rather than revolt when presented with the thought of a second Obama term.

“You’ll take what we give you, you’ll do what you’re told, and you will LIKE IT SERF!” is what the entrenched republican leaders are saying.

They are sorely mistaken – I can’t speak for anyone but myself – when it comes to “chicken” I will either win, or I will plow head-on into my opponent at 120 MPH. One thing I will NOT be doing is turning that GODD(*&^#@ wheel.

I am not alone in this line of thinking. If the republican party wants to force a choice of subjugation or oblivion on me, I will choose oblivion – and I will meet it knowing that I did so a free man.

There are worse fates.

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

“In other words, Romney prevailed over his health care record not because he built such a persuasive case that it differed from Obama’s, but because he faced lame competitors who failed to build a strong case against him.” – Beth Reinhard

♫♪ Ding, Ding, Ding ♫♪

That sums up yet another awful “It’s My Turn” display by the GOP.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Sadly, it’s the conservative base who always take it for the team and the establishment knows this and takes it for granted. We’ll fall into line, they can use us as punching bags to appease the leftists, Romney’s aide’s slip of the tongue about the etcha sketch screams volumes about their disdain for conservatives. They won’t nominate a conservative against a strong democrat and they won’t against a weak one like Obama. The establishment wants power and money and have no intention of ever allowing a conservative to upset that scenario.

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Yep, the equivalency of the welfare queens of the Democrats.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Yep, the equivalency of the welfare queens of the Democrats.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

God, you’re right! I feel ill.

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Relevance has never been your strong suit, eh? Well, let’s do try to be relevant:

Republicans brace for the Romney pivot against the House GOP

So say the GOP insiders that support Sketchy today. In fact they ALSO were in the crowd that stabbed Sarah Palin in the back after RINO McLame lost so miserably.

Liberals of a feather DO flock together.

DannoJyd on April 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

mozalf on April 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Didn’t work out well for them in 2008. Won’t work out well for them in 2012 either. They will get no help from me and my family.

SilverDeth on April 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM