McCain: I think Palin should be the VP nominee

posted at 9:45 am on April 4, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Yesterday, Sarah Palin emphasized in her interview with Matt Lauer that whoever becomes the GOP nominee should not play it safe in his selection of a vice presidential running mate. She declined to answer outright whether she thinks this year’s VP nominee should have more experience on the national stage than she did in 2008, but she did say she thinks the presidential nominee should “go rogue” with his pick.

Former GOP presidential nominee John McCain backed up those statements today with this:

On CBS’s This Morning, McCain, the 2008 GOP nominee, was asked whether he agreed with his former running mate that Romney should ‘go rogue’ in picking a vice president.

“I think it should be Sarah Palin,” McCain answered, laughing. And while he did not backtrack from that statement, he did say that there was a “wealth of talent” in the GOP field, including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

It’s an interesting proposition. She’s far more seasoned than she was in 2008, with a loyal fan base that would be incredibly energized by her presence on the ticket. But would she accept? She declined to run for the presidency herself, maintaining that she can have more influence as a media presence than as an actual candidate. If she worried she wouldn’t have enough influence as the presidential nominee or the president, then she surely wouldn’t be satisfied with the level of influence the vice presidential nomination offers, even if it was her launching pad to the fame she now enjoys.

The willingness of any Republican to accept a slot on the 2012 GOP ticket will be in part determined by the probability of victory. At this stage in the game, as Obama leads Romney nationally and stoops to the lowest possible attacks on Paul Ryan, the vice presidential nomination might not appear so much a reward as a challenge. If not Sarah Palin herself, the vice presidential nominee will have to at least possess her pluck and fighting spirit. The eventual GOP nominee better not play it safe, indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

victor82 on April 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Nice analysis.

WisRich on April 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

She is not smart enough to even complete a 4 year term in the sh#thole known as Alaska.

They take more money from the government than any other state yet still vote Republican. Another useless welfare state.

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

….then that’s where YOU should be living sh#thead!
Too cold to dig a basement there?

KOOLAID2 on April 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I’m going to be very, VERY disappointed, should Romney choose Rubio.

This strikes me as a cynical, Quaylesque, race-puppet move that short-changes the country.

The VP is supposed to be able to step in on a moment’s notice, and fully function as president. We have seen several instances in which the VP had to step in very early in the term, and BE president. Curiously, there are almost NO instances of the VP having to step in LATE.

Examples of early succession:
Truman succeeding FDR only 3 months after inauguration.
Johnson succeeding Lincoln only 1 month after inauguration.
Tyler succeeding Harrison only 1 month after inaguration.
Arthur succeeding Garfield only 8 months after inauguration.
Fillmore succeeding Taylor only 16 months after inauguration.

Rubio is not even conceivably CLOSE to being experienced enough to be president. Rubio’s example is particularly egregious, in that he went straight from law school right into state governance, and then skipped a bunch of levels to go straight from there to the U.S. Senate. Near carbon-copy of 0bama’s career arc. He has no private-sector experience, and has never seen a callous on his hands. He’s barely 40 years old, and has a nice smile. I don’t care if he smiles and says the right words – he’s a paper-pusher and just doesn’t have the life experience to lead this country.

West is better – older (52 y.o.)- and has hard military experience. Yet – again – no private-sector experience. He has an advanced degree in political science (which means that he DOES know the basics of how government works. But, as a career military man, does he have any clue about wheeling and dealing and how to run a government? Giving orders, as he used to do, won’t work. So while I don’t reject West out of hand, I just don’t know if he’s ready to be president.

But if Rubio is picked I will seriously puke. He’s no more experienced than 0bama, and I don’t feel like being a hypocrite, as WELL as a sellout, as I am forced to pull the lever for Mitt.

cane_loader on April 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

He wouldn’t have that seat, if it wasn’t for Palin, Haley wouldn’t be in office if she hadn’t been vouched for, ditto with Perry, but
‘selfawareness’ is not his strong suit, I’m rather revolted by our esteemed Governor backtracking, on a whole host of issues, including
the local Sharpton subsidiary.

narciso on April 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

All that aside, it may be what Romney has to do to get conservatives on board

Sekhmet on April 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

yeap I came to the same conclusion the other day. Mitt can try to pull a McCain and pick a conservative for VP slot but I can think of only a couple that would fire up conservatives enough to vote for Mitt. Palin tops the list. West might be able to do it and Rubio maybe if he runs away from the Bush twins
The rest are not known enough or do not have enough presence.

unseen on April 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Completely agree, except that this time, with the Palin precedent in mind, what perceived conservative is going to offer up himself/herself as the sacrificial Veep? Just my guess, but given the principal thrust of the Romney campaign until recently– “He’s just in over his head and I’m a more competent administrator”– he’s done well enough to win primaries without much conservative support, and he’d probably be more comfortable with a Board of Directors Veep.

de rigueur on April 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Sarah hawking Romneycare would really be the tomato on the t*rd sandwich, wouldn’t it?

james23 on April 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I would hate to see that.

unseen on April 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM

OMG! Thank you! If I had a nickel for every gum-flapping f*ckwit who blubbered “a vote for so-and-so is really a vote for such-and-such”, I could hire Bill Gates as my chauffeur!

MelonCollie on April 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM

these comments are funny. the mittbots still believe they don’t need conservatives to win the election.

unseen on April 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Whoever Mitt picks, the choice will be MUCH BETTER than the current VPOTUS, Senator Gaff-tastic from Delaware…

Compare, contrast… Republican by a LONG way… not even close

Khun Joe on April 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

from the comments it appears the mittbots hope Mitt picks a dem for VP

unseen on April 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Honda’s been here forever-so I know that-but if you refuse to vote for Romney in the general you ARE helping to reelect Zero.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

So goddamned sick of this. No. Let me spell it out for you.

A vote for Romney is a vote for Romney.
A vote for Obama is a vote for Obama.

A vote for neither is:

A vote for Romney, if you’re an Obama supporter.
A vote for Obama, if you’re a Romney supporter.

In other words, it’s neither. So shut up with this stupid bullying union thug-style bulls**t. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for parroting this political intimidation tactic.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Yeah, I’m pretty tired of the “if you don’t support X, then clearly you support Y” BS too. Some of us support neither.

Aitch748 on April 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Food for thought here:

The Constitution says that a man must be 35 years old to be president.

OK. Great. Rubio is 40.

Have y’all thought about this?

Nowadays, for health-care purposes, a man is considered a child to be kept on his parents’ health care until age 26. Fifty is the new forty. Fifty-some “cougars” prowl for man-cubs. Paul McCartney tours the world at age 70.

So…. life is less compressed than it used to be. The older generations live longer, and responsibility doesn’t devolve to the younger adults until much later in their lives.

How does this relate to Marco Rubio?

What if we look at the age of presidential eligibility through the same lens as Social Security. Many have called to raise the benefits age, because people are living much longer. When S.S. was introduced, the benefit age roughly equated life expectancy – so you didn’t draw until you were statistically likely to die. Now, people regularly draw benefits for 30 years and more..

SO…. when the Founder drew up the Constitution, they selected the age of presidential maturity as 35 —- when the average lifespan was….. 40!

The Founders obviously wanted the president to be among the older, wiser fraction.

To translate that to modern terms: The average American male now lives 75 years.

35 is 87.5% of 40.

So to translate the 35-y.o. requirement to 2012, the president should be a minimum of 87.5% of 75 = 65-1/2 years old.

That leaves Romney short by 6 months… and so we’re down to Gingrich and Paul ;D

cane_loader on April 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM

And whatever this crazy balloon I keep hearing about Kelly Ayotte… whoever that is….

Heck, if Romney is that desperate to attract women, just pick OPRAH fer cryin’ out loud.

Romney/Winfrey.

WINNAH!

cane_loader on April 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

He’ll still won’t do it.

WisRich on April 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

and she won’t take it ….

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

cane_loader on April 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Excellent, succinct analysis.
This aint no time for rookies.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I would not want Sarah anywhere near the Romneycare stench. He’s a sure loser and if she’s on the ticket she’ll be linked with him. Further, she’s have to defend romneycare, cap&tax, global warming, etc.

Sarah don’t go anywhere near romneycare!

Danielvito on April 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

But, Joe Biden is a genius? Compared to loser4life, Biden just may be a genius. But, compared to anyone with an IQ of 60 or higher, not so much.

bw222 on April 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

You need to take anger management classes.

itsspideyman on April 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

from the comments it appears the mittbots hope Mitt picks a dem for VP

unseen on April 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM

You don’t have to be a total jerk to be a mittbot, but based on the mittbots at HA, most apparently are.

bw222 on April 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Palin as the VP pick would go far to bridge the divide created by the Rombots during the primary. For Mittens to have a snow balls chance in hell to win he must unite the GOP inspite of his vitriolic primary campaign.
Palin would add the bare knuckle brawling that Mitts just not capable of. She lives rent free in Maobama’s head. I truly believe the Dems are petrified of her. Just look at how she pushed her convictions on the Today show.
Rag on Palin all you want. It doesn’t change who she is or what she believes.
I believe she would accept the VP slot if offered. She loves our country and will do whatever is necessary to defeat Obama.
Another advantage is she would be a true conservative to keep an eye on Romney. She will be there to push the conservative view.
Romney can put her in charge of making America energy independent by the end of his first term. The big idea with someone who knows how to get things done.
BTW…we all better get ready to work to defeat the sh*thead-in -chief or we will wake on Nov.7th and rue the day we didn’t.
Make no mistake. I’m not a Romney fan in the least. But I understand the damage Maobama is doing and 4 more years of it will mean the end of the America we grew up in.
I’m 57 years old with a 24 year old son. His world is very different from the one I grew up in. His future is not as bright as mine was. I suceeded because of hard work and the ability to use my talents in the field of my choice. I just don’t see the endless opportunity available to our children that we enjoyed.
Time to put Maobama on a tramp steamer to his native Kenya. He can share a room in his brothers hut.

RWRFAN on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

No thanks. Ryan please.

Arnold Yabenson on April 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

We need Rubio to keep a difficult senate seat in the R column much more than we need him to languish in a VP slot.

EddieC on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM

RWRFAN on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Look, I admire and support Palin as much as the next Palinista, but at some point, Palin would have to defend:

1. Romneycare.
2. Dog Torture (remember what happened to Seamus?)
3. Corporate Raiding and shelling out companies to send the jobs to Shanghai.
4. Cap and Trade.
5. Brylcreem
6. Did I mention the dog on the roof?
7. Wading into a crowd of defenseless black people and pretending that you are the Second Coming of Vanilla Ice

No. She. Won’t.

Palin will stay as far away from this toxic spongbob as possible.

victor82 on April 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Romney must absolutely pick a solid Tea Party conservative to gin up the base and protect his Right Flank.

Keep your eye on Susanna Martinez, Governor of New Mexico.

Governor Sandoval of Nevada – not sure why his name isn’t being floated more often

Bob McDonnell REALLY wants the job, but polling to date does not demonstrate that he can carry Virginia.

Jindal – don’t need him to carry LA and he is too short

Portman – absolutely too boring, no attack dog

Thune — I keep hearing his name, but I don’t see what he brings to the ticket.

Christie – absolutely NOT, causes as much pain as pleasure, too volatile

matthew8787 on April 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

McCain is incontinent in the brain and the pants.

Too sad that the stupid voters of AZ re-elected him.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

ಠ_ರೃ

Palin would add the bare knuckle brawling that Mitts just not capable of. – rwrfan

♫♪ LOL ♫♪

That pretty much sums up Willard alright!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I can’t see Christie as VP, he thinks to much of himself for that.

Personally I think Romney needs one of the following:

Sarah Palin
Bobby Jindal
Allen West
Rand Paul

Any of those will actually get people thinking.

SgtRed on April 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

matthew8787 on April 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Jindal is 5’9. That’s not short-and even if it is…so what?!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Palin is angling for a talk show right now. Let her do that.

rubberneck on April 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I’d vote for Palin/Paul (Ron or Rand), and I’d probably vote for Palin/somebody else small-gov, but Romney is an authoritarian corporate socialist and does not belong in the WH any more than Obama does, so I would vote against Palin/Romney.

FloatingRock on April 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

No Palin nor Paul-either of them!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Sarah don’t go anywhere near romneycare!

Danielvito on April 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

+1000

riddick on April 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No Perry or Paul.

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I

Sarah don’t go anywhere near romneycare!

Danielvito on April 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM
+1000

riddick on April 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Super duper megaton DITTOS!

Pragmatic on April 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

i love sarah and wished she had run. but i do NOT want her to be vp nominee again.

Sachiko on April 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

For me at least, even if Palin did join the ticket, which I doubt she would do, I still wouldn’t vote for Romney in the General.

The problem with Romney is Romney. Supergluing Palin or Rubio or some other conservative to Mittens isn’t going to make me ignore his constant flip-flopping in issues that should be firmly entrenched in the mind of an adult man in his sixties. It won’t make me forget his constant attacks and his surrogates constant sabotaging of real conservatives. It won’t make me forget how liberal Romney really is and how little he thinks of every conservative in the country.

In fact, adding a conservative hero to the bottom of the ticket would only serve to remind me that a total liberal is on the top.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m with you Buckshot!

Pragmatic on April 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

In fact, adding a conservative hero to the bottom of the ticket would only serve to remind me that a total liberal loser is on the top.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

FIFM: I’m getting too emotional, typing too fast…

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

when is McCain going to permanently move back to Panama and take his dumbass daughter with him? the prospects in Arizona must be really bad since they keep re-electing him; just another reason for term limits.

burserker on April 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Pray for the TX tornado victims.

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Absolutely!!!

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Buckshot Bill is right again!

Pragmatic on April 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM

This sentence shows a poor understanding of what Palin was talking about. If she won the nomination, then obviously she would have gained vastly more influence, at least for a while, and the President is the most influential person on the planet.

However, she understood her chances of actually winning the nomination were slim. The primary purpose in her running would have been to pull the GOP toward her positions on the issues.

She understood that given the media’s hysteria regarding her, this year she would have more influence as a critic than as a player. It was another smart move.

If Romney wins, he will appoint her to some important position not always in the media spotlight, like Sec of Interior (if he doesn’t, he’s an idiot … the politics of it is a no brainer). She can then continue to add to her experience and build her record away from the constant media feeding frenzy, the way she did in Alaska before McCain picked her.

Romney won’t pick her for VP.

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

He has no path to electoral victory, which is the only thing that really matters. National polling is irrelevant, especially before the primaries are over. It really only becomes a useful tool a week or so before the General Election. Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Mitt is going to win in a landslide after he schools Obama on the economy and energy. Most people like successful, decent and very smart. The 2% here will claim it was because they held Mitt’s feet to the fire or Palin endorsed him or something equally stupid.

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

unseen on April 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

You couldn’t even get a socon to the Repub nom, and you still believe you are a kingmaker. Keep laughing.

Yeah, whatever happened with that Big Plan about how Palin was going to be the deciding force in the Republican nomination by whoever she was going to bestow her blessing of an endorsement on?

You guys live in a fantasy world.

Moesart on April 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Obama 2008 disproves your statement.

And Sarah Palin will not take up the VP mantle again. Anyone who says she will is deluding themselves. I like her, I just want her at the top of the ticket rather than under a contemptable idiot like Mitt the Schidt.

UODuckMan on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Buckshot Bill is right again! Pragmatic on April 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM

What’s he been right about so far?

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Actually, I think Obama agrees with Mitt on the importance of raising the Minimum Wage, raising taxes on the rich, and that the bank bailouts were a good thing. I doubt very much that the average Republican voter will be impressed, though.

And Mitt has no real experience in the energy sector. From what I’ve seen, his energy policy positions were copy-pasted directly from Palin.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

So he is smart. What is your point?

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

What’s he been right about so far?

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Do you know of a realistic Electoral path to victory for Mittens? I’ve been looking, hard, and I just don’t see it. He has to hold every McCain state, and at least a few of those are going to be hard to hold. Plus he has to pickup CO, NV, FL, IN, NH, NC, and VA just to get in the 260′s. I can’t see him picking up all of those. He’d still need to pick up either IA, NM, WI, PA, or most likely, OH to get to 270+.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Obama 2008 disproves your statement.

UODuckMan on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

In 2008 the people thought they were getting successful, decent and very smart with Obama.

Palin didn’t run. She knows she cannot win. Whether it’s justified or not, she’s toxic and she’s not going to remove the toxicity in a campaign.

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

So he is smart. What is your point?

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’m just saying that it is hard to “school” someone on policy you yourself are not knowledgeable about.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Rowsdower, is that you? Although statements like this make people like Pragmatic happy, they are unduly pessimistic. You and I went through the list a few days ago (I should have kept a copy of that roster of states somewhere), and there are several plausible ways Romney can get to 270, although he really needs Ohio in order not to have to rely on a hat trick of smaller states to make up the difference.

HTL on April 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Not when the other guy is a complete airhead on the policy and on market principles in general. The main danger would be lack of adequate preparation due to overconfidence.

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I love how McCain indirectly flipped the bird to Steve Schmidt and Nicolle Wallace.

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

What’s he been right about so far?
Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Answer the question. Did you predict Mitt would be the nominee? I know some people who did.

Mitt’s running against an incumbent with a pathetic record. By the end of the campaign the American public will be very familiar with that record.

Mitt won the GOP nomination despite opposition from Palin, Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, Ingraham, Weekly Standard, American Spectator, Free Republic, Baier, Greta, Hot Air, Red State and Buckshot Bill.

He’s an incredibly strong candidate to win in the face of so much stiff opposition.

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

No McCain, f— you.

She hasn’t done crap all to prepare for the Presidency except quit the governership of Alaska in her first term and turn to a reality TV career.

Up yours, while I’m at it.

Mitchell Heisman on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Which McCain states do you think he’ll have a hard time holding?

He’ll pick up FL and IN, without question, in my opinion. Obama barely beat McCain in FL and IN in a very Democratic year. I also think he’ll pick up NC and NH. CO, NV, VA, PA, OH, IA, NM will be much tougher.

IA’s new registration numbers, in terms of party, are a good sign for the Republicans.

I think VA is a tossup, especially with the undercard of Allen vs. Kaine.

It’ll be hard, but anything is possible. If the economy doesn’t significantly improve, Obama will lose, no matter what. If it gets better, Romney will lose. Romney is a stronger candidate than McCain and 2012 is a less favorable climate for Democrats than 2008. We’ll see what happens when we finally become united as a party.

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

HTL on April 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I’m just saying, his electoral chances are what really matter. His national polling numbers aren’t really worth discussing, not as evidence that he’s going to win the general.

Electorally, Romney needs to pick up a number of states that Obama won in ’08, states that Obama is still winning in, in local polling.

VA is an absolutely essential pickup, and Romney is still losing VA in current polls. Given the demographic swings taking place in North VA, it seems highly unlikely that Romney will pick the state up.

NV and CO are also very important pickups, and I don’t really see how Romney has an advantage over McCain in these states. There is the Mormon thing, I guess, but the Mormon’s heavily favored McCain last election already.

MO and MN were extremely close in ’08. It’s certainly possible that Romney won’t hold them, which makes his path to victory very difficult to picture.

IA, WI, PA are unlikely pickups for Romney. FL is certainly going to hinge on how O-care fares in the SC. NM may well hinge on whether Martinez is selected as Mitt’s veep or not.

GA is moving more and more toward purple status; Romney may well need to fight to hold GA.

It is difficult to see Mitt winning all of these contests. His appeal is seemingly non-existent with much of the conservative base, as they have been saying for over 2 years now. He is going to have to expend enormous amounts of money and time just in holding McCain states, let alone picking up all of the states he’ll need to win the General.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Palin for V.P. ? Your joking right?

There ain’t a snowball’s chance in hell she would accept such a thing.

She has already been associated with one loser and knows that a second round like that would be a death blow to any future she may have.

Nope , ain’t gonna happen.

Whatever her future holds it will be on her terms I am sure…

RockyJ. on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Looks like McCain was joking.

Was he? If so, I retract my vitriole. Not the part about Sarah Palin being unserious and unready though.

Mitchell Heisman on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Do you have a law degree and an MBA? Did you make a couple of hundred million as a venture capitalist? What are your qualifications?

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I didn’t see it. Could you repeat it? When it comes to Palin, there’s a dearth of sane commentary on this site.

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I said, as did many conservatives, that if Palin declined to run, Mittens would be the nominee. I was surprised that he has done as badly as he has, though. Losing ground repeatedly to people like Newt and Santorum was not something I would have predicted. I figured the base would cave much more quickly. Even now, many seem to still be fighting against Romney. That is not a good harbinger of his chances in the General.

As far as this goes:

Mittens is running against a bad incumbent, but is handicapped by his own “pathetic” record. He isn’t a conservative, and really isn’t a Republican unless you redefine the term beyond recognition. He has a history of supporting positions at odds with the majority of Republicans and almost all conservatives. He has a well earned reputation of flip-flopping on each of those issues as best served him at the time. And frankly, the base doesn’t trust him anymore. If they ever did. He will need to address that, and so far, has spent the Primaries running from his real record. That isn’t a winning strategy in the General.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Did you make a couple of hundred million as a venture capitalist?

So I didn’t get lucky, and I didn’t rip people off.

Sure, that is not what Romney actually did, but once the media machine is done smearing him, even you might catch yourself thinking that way about Romney from time to time.

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If I said yes, would it change anything?

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Nice analysis.

WisRich on April 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Yes, nice within the cocoon of the HotAir Palin Chat Room. Never ceases to amaze how the Chat Room folks that say goodnight to each other here in the HA threads, are not willing to look at what the overall population thinks of Sarah Palin. She stands far less of a chance than Mitt because it is not just about conservative voters, but also about sane Democrats (the few that exist,) moderates, independents, libertarians, Reason Magazine objectivists and many other groups encompassing the rest of us that certainly want to get rid of Obama, but who would not support Santorum or Palin. This is quite obviously reflected in the number of primaries Mitt is winning, but apparently entirely lost on the chatroom crew here at HA.

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I don’t think the number of primaries Mittens wins is terribly informative. It is much more telling that he is predominately winning in states that will vote Obama in the general. Romney has great difficulties building up support in Red states, which has been the major reason he has had trouble wrapping the nomination up.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

But if the majority of the population and delegates are in all those states Mitt is winning, how does the produce a win for other candidates? And at what point does the rally cry turn from “we are still really hoping our perfect candidate will appear” to “let’s all just beat Obama?” I was in the comments months ago stating that it just wasn’t going to happen for Sarah, and it was apostasy for most Chat Room types here. Now here we are again with Santorum.

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

A heavy reliance on Anyone But Obama is not awe inspiring.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

And what’s amazing here, is that you are part of the same crew of all of us who are realistic enough to see the flaws of all things Leftist. That realism has to extend to your own side as well. Maybe it’s because I have to suffer living in a Blue State, but you really should visit for a while and surround yourself with all of these other less than conservative voters to see how they think. Because it is painfully obvious to us that the nominee is not going to be a Palin or Santorum. If you guys want to win next time, you are going to have to start with a Rubio or someone else who leans more right, but who can bridge the gap to the center/ center left where there are a huge number of voters.

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

A heavy reliance on Anyone But Obama is not awe inspiring.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Constant disregard for the views of conservatives isn’t building up support either. If all I wanted was to vote against Obama, I can do that by writing in Palin/Jindal; I need an actual reason to waste a vote on Mittens.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

There are a few, but they are young and ignorant. They are just as likely to jump ship for a conservative as for a centrist, the way many Democrats did in 1980.

Democrats who decide to vote Republican generally do so because they realize they have been betrayed. It is an anti-Democrat Party vote much more than an ideological spectrum type vote.

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

And make no mistake here. By advancing Palin, McCain is simply insulting and taunting you. He is not taking you seriously. As the last cycle and McCain’s voting record has shown, he has absolutely no awareness of the electorate as a whole.

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I need an actual reason to waste a vote on Mittens.
Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I live in MO, right across the river from IL. I work with many people from IL, who constantly complain about rising tax rates and overburdening regulations. They seem very angry that certain fees have been hiked recently.

Many times over the past few months, these same IL residents have come to me and have voluntarily brought up politics, which is exceedingly rare around here since so many consider it rude to talk about politics and religion. They have all said variations of the same thing, “I don’t really care for anyone running this year.” Speaking of both the Republican primary candidates and Obama. They are all deeply dissatisfied with the field. And even though they are from a deep blue state or perhaps because they see the damage up close and personal, they are all very dismissive of Romney. One man I work closely with everyday, has simply said that he doesn’t feel Romney can or will even try to fix the countries problems, so why bother voting for him.

The dissatisfaction with Romney is real, it isn’t a desperate desire for Santorum or Perry or Newt or even Palin; Mittens just isn’t what the country needs to right itself. We need more than just to get rid of Obama. We need someone for whom talking about Reform isn’t “setting my hair on fire!” And until that person shows up, many potential voters aren’t going to waste their time pulling levers to advance the career of some random politician.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing violate their consciences.”

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Fixed it for Burke :)

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Or that the GOP prevents good men from doing what they ought?

Don L on April 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

A heavy reliance on Anyone But Obama is not awe inspiring.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

The Romnulans are getting desperate and can’t see anything but their own ambition. We all want to get rid of Obama, but we’re also being very careful and selective about what will replace him and the possible damage that may do also. Many of us have plenty of other issues important to us besides the dump Obama meme.

mozalf on April 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Mitt is winning Republican winner-take-all primaries in Blue States? Wow. Does this mean he has rebuilt the Reagan Coalition?

Somehow I doubt this. Mitt is as out-of-touch a plutocrat as we have nominated in some time. The only reason why he is on a glide path to the nomination is that Palin correctly perceived that the fix was in to give him the nomination and chose not to waste her career on a futile race in which she would be enormously outspent and firebombed. The Establishment knows that he is going to lose to Obama, and probably lose by two to three points. It’s the Senate they care about.

The fact that Mitt Romney, for all of his supposed talent, is not putting Obama away in the polls now, should tell any sane person what a weak sauce candidate he is. He has not offered a reason to elect him as the alternative to Obama! Reagan did this in 1980. Palin did this in her gubernatorial in 2006. Natural politicians who know what they are doing offer the voters a very simple rationale for voting for them for President.

His entire primary campaign can be summed up in one phrase: “My GOP opponents are pimps who will sell your daughters! Don’t vote for them!”

This guy isn’t offering anything other than throw Obama out, and that won’t be enough. When I tell you that GOP people in D.C. are concerned about Toxic Mittens’ effect on turnout affecting their ability to take the Senate back, I mean it.

If Mitt was such a stand-up guy, he’d be able to offer a rationale to voters to gather around his banner. He can’t. He’s Mittens. Offering people reasons to vote for you is what the Hoi-polloi like Palin do.

We just can’t have that. Might rebuild the Reagan coalition or something…

victor82 on April 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

McCain: I think Palin should be the VP nominee

That should be a great step toward unifying the party against it.

EconomicNeocon on April 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Basilsbest on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Gosh, a degree as evidence of wisdom. That poor old St. Paul, if only he had a Yale or Harvard theology degree, then folks might actually believe what he says about the Messiah?

Black is black, white is white, and degrees are hardly a guarantee of knowing the difference.

Some will trust Etch-a-sketch philosophy, and follow unprinciple anywhere.

Don L on April 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

mozalf on April 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

The Mittbots (and many Rinos) saw 2010 as an anti-Obama election. They didn’t see that it was as much an anti-Establishment election as anything else. They think that if they can change the focus of this election cycle to getting rid of Obama, they will be able to recreate the 2010 enthusiasm, and that it will overcome the complete apathy the GOP has created over the past 2 years. But, alas, they are missing the forest for all the trees.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Another false meme continually put forth by the ABRtards.

Gunlock Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The dissatisfaction with Romney is real

Yes, it is real, but not real enough to get votes. Because otherwise Santorum, Gingrich, Paul, Palin, etc. would be leading instead of Romney.

And as much as you think of IL across from MO as a very Blue area, I’m afraid you have not spent a lot of time in Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, San Francisco, CA and San Jose, CA. Folks there who are concerned but who generally don’t talk politics, are concerned about Obama and what he has not delivered on. And with how divisive he has been. There’s not really much talk about the Republican nominee, because it does not matter, this election is mostly a referendum on Obama.

What I want to know is how does not getting rid of Obama help? Do you really think that another four years is better than at least some course correction? How will it weigh on your conscience if you know that a large number of people like you helped bring about whatever Obama has planned “after he is re-elected” with Medvedev and all the rest of the International leaders he confided in but was not picked up on a hot mic?

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I’ll be very annoyed that the GOP establishment couldn’t find it in themselves to support someone conservatives could vote for. Perhaps next time will be different, probably not though.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

mozalf on April 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Looks like the best we can hope for is getting rid of The Won and staying loud about the direction the country needs to go.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

A good VP choice wouldn’t hurt. And while I admire Gov. Palin, she isn’t it.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Great. Well, at least we will be able to say that it was not all the GOP establishment’s fault that Obama got re-elected.

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Spot on Buckshot. I’ve heard something similar all around the country from people I do business with. So sad, so true.

CTSherman on April 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

JeffB. on April 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Jeff, the 1980 election was a referendum on Jimmy Carter, the stagnant economy, and the Administration’s handling of the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Yet Reagan was still wise and prudent enough to offer a coherent, well thought out, economic remedy to the nation and a foreign policy world-view that was unapologetically pro-victory!

All of what you say about Obama needing to be replaced is true. But haven’t you noticed that there is no meat on the bone to the Romney Campaign? No one can tell you what he stands for?

This is what we Palin people have been saying about Romney for some time: you don’t beat Coca-cola with the Zima Guy.

victor82 on April 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

CTSherman on April 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It is very unusual for people in these parts to bring up politics at all. And yet it has happened several times in the past few weeks, so strong is the desire of local conservatives to discuss their feelings on the election and the weakness of the field, especially Romney. Their isn’t fear so much as disappointment and growing disdain for the entire process. It is sounding more and more like 2006 and 2008. And nothing like 2010.

Buckshot Bill on April 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

And a lot of good that did. It just helped convince the establishment that I’ll vote for whatever dumb schmuck they push. Fool me once, shame on…shame on…you…fool me, you can’t get fooled again.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Yup, fool me once.
However, I did find something to do with the sheep that will.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOGOxtN2lM

katy the mean old lady on April 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM

McCain will never admit what a stupid decision it was to put Palin on the ticket, he just keeps doubling down.

For the record, I don’t think Palin is why we lost in 2008, but it’s clear she never should have been a heartbeat away from the Oval Office, especially since McCain was nearly 80 years old. The woman couldn’t even finish out her first term as governor in Alaska.

Palin just wants to be a celebrity, her fans need to find conservative leaders that are actually interested in the hard (and often times thankless) work of governing.

BradTank on April 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

BradTank on April 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Yeah, thank God we got Obama and Biden instead. /

Aitch748 on April 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

cane_loader on April 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Interesting point. And at a mere child’s age of 25 you can run for the US House of Representatives and graduate from your parents’ health care to Congress’ cadillac plan. Such a deal!

As to topic here, I love Sarah but she won’t work on this ticket, not here, not now–maybe a cabinet post? And in light of the horrible advice he miscampaigned with against Obama, I wish McShame would just shut up and crawl back into the nearest hole with the rest of the trolls.

stukinIL4now on April 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

…….

BradTank on April 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

That is leftwing drivel. Anyone who actually thinks Obama is a better President than Palin would have been if McCain had become incapacitated is a clueless nutball who has bought the media smear machine’s lying narrative hook, line and sinker.

fadetogray on April 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM