Thought of the day: Why do we let soldiers board commercial planes first?

posted at 7:42 pm on April 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze. I thought we did it as a small show of respect for people who risk their lives in national service but it turns out your “Final Jeopardy” answer here is “militarism.” Guestblogger Morgen Richmond posted a snippet of this over the weekend but you’re going to want to cleanse that palate by drinking in five full minutes of wisdom. Personal highlight: Dohrn on debt forgiveness. At first I thought she meant student debt, but no, I think she’s talking about debt, period. Let’s start new, start fresh.

Consider this my contribution to bipartisanship for today, actually. Say what you will about O, but I’m guessing President Weatherman here wouldn’t have ordered any raid on Bin Laden or any sanctions on Iran and likely would have insisted on civilian trials for the Al Qaeda all-stars locked up at Gitmo. Then again, he probably also would have paid some mind to the War Powers Act instead of wishing it out of existence. Content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’ll never understand the anti-war mindset. Some wars are just and necessary. Others are unjust. There are people like Ayers and Dohrn who proclaim they hate war, but acted in violence against their own fellow countrymen. Police. They never confronted them face to face though. They’re cowards and now they hide behind the Obamas. Some people here proclaim there’s no war worth fighting. Thats nothing less than abject cowardess. A person that would just keep walking if you were in distress on a street. Or maybe even pick up their step to get away.

hawkdriver on April 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM

If you crazy socialists want to screw up your own lives and your own states, fine. Just stay out of Texas and keep your hands off of us. Stop screwing up the Federal Government. Also, whenever your state is bankrupt and can’t pay to fix the potholes because they are so far into debt due to the corrupt union/Democrat/socialist practices, don’t move to my state because we have jobs and start voting socialistic here.

Theophile on April 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM

hawkdriver on April 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Agreed. Absolute pacifism facilitates absolute evil.

ZenDraken on April 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

This is what happens when freedom is presented as a privilege given to them by the state. The people who sacrifice to preserve it are ridiculed as pawns or worse because “it’s already a right.”

A dose of R.A. Heinlein’s Starship Troopers world, where people must take personal responsibility for maintaining the republic, in this case, doing a term of service to become a voting citizen, would send them into a frothing rage.

Aardvark on April 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM

The military swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, and follow the direction of the Congress and the Commander In Chief. They do their job, and if the civilian government commit their military to misguided causes, they still do their job for their country, for right or wrong.

V-rod on April 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Better question is why do we allow Bill Ayers to board commercial planes at all?

Blake on April 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM

BINGO!

Susanboo on April 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I never understand why self loathing anti American people like this stay in the US. Move to Canada or Sweeden and get all you want. No one is stopping you. Otherwise put down the crack pipe and move on. If we did away with our military we would be overrun in less than ten years.

huskerthom on April 5, 2012 at 5:53 AM

cowardess = cowardice

hawkdriver on April 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I’m not quite sure why these two have decided to come out from under their rock at this point in time, but I’m all for it, especially if the MSM start picking up some of these interviews. Keep Ayers and his old lady front and center as Obama’s “neighbors” to remind the electorate of the company Obama keeps despite his protestations that Ayers is “just some guy in the neighborhood”.

tpitman on April 5, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Why are these terrorists allowed to fly? Ayers and Dohrn both belong on a no fly list.

meci on April 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM

What ever happened to old-fashioned respect?

How about holding the door for someone?

Giving your seat up on a bus to someone?

For those who have contempt for these considerations I have nothing but contempt for you, so we’re equal.

itsspideyman on April 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

both those douchebags should be on a no-fly list.

maineconservative on April 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

The bomb-making best friend of Obama speak.

Urban Infidel on April 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Too bad one of their bombs didn’t blow them to hell, which is right where Ayers and Dorn belong.
These people are educating our kids? WTF is wrong with this country?
Where is Mitch Rapp when you need him?

RWRFAN on April 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

Only in LibWorld are global dictators non-aggressive.

Nobody want to fight, but somebody BETTER know how.

Colonel Nathan Jessup was right:

“Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be
guarded by men with guns. Who’s gonna do it? You?
You, Lieutenant Weinberg?”

“I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.
You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines.
You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know – that Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.”

“You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall – you need me on that wall.”

“We use words like “honor “, “code”, “loyalty”. We use these words
as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line.”

“I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.”

“I would rather that you just said ‘thank you’ and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post.
Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you’re entitled to.”

I served eight years so these friggin’ jack-wads can spew their brainless, anti-American poison.

I’d give anything to have them in the field for ten minutes – ten seconds as a target and 9:50 as a corpse.

Jesus.

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on April 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I was a lot more liberal when I was in college. I participated in the Free Speech Movement (Mario Savio), and in the Weatherman in Chicago. I was at a couple of meetings where Ayers and Dohrn made plans. They did hate war, but when I found out they were in favor of bombing those who disagreed, I started thinking. Were their parents not rich, though, they would have spent a couple of decades in prisom instead of in cushy University positions.

dahni on April 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM