Video: “Total Recall” trailer

posted at 8:44 pm on April 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Is it fair to compare a remake to the original if the remake isn’t really a remake? Like the ’90 version of TR, this is based on a story by Philip K. Dick. According to Wikipedia, the political subtext of this flick is truer to Dick’s work than the Schwarzenegger version was; on the other hand, Colin Farrell insists that it’s not a straight adaptation. Either way, I don’t know what they’re thinking trying to outdo a Paul Verhoeven movie on the same subject. He’s not considered a “great” director but his sci-fi style is so distinct — joyously lurid and hyperviolent, inviting you to gawk like you’re at a freak show — that there’s no way to watch something like this, as impressive as it seems, and not feel like it’s generic. Toss a larger-than-life character like Ahnuld in there for comparison and the new version starts to seem even more watered down. Oh look, another dystopian Blade Runner-ish space adventure whose major plot points we already know or can easily guess. Meh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

With a whole new generation of kids that have never seen the orig this, if done right, will be a great story. (BIG “if”).

watson007 on April 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Just like that generation who had never seen Star Wars…I see a jar jar in our future… … …you can have that memory back if you want one secret government agency who I assume is watching my every keystroke to see if I remember being super awesome…

airmonkey on April 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

If you guys keep talking about women with lots of boobs, Allah will post a story about Meghan McCain. You’ve been warned.

Gladtobehere on April 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I suppose you forgot that you have to pull a golf ball sized transmitter out of your nose, huh?

hawkdriver on April 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Don’t tell my wife but for 3 boobs I would pull that golf ball out of my nose…

airmonkey on April 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Don’t tell my wife but for 3 boobs I would pull that golf ball out of my nose…

airmonkey on April 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Okay OT. I have to ask. Why are you an “air” monkey?

hawkdriver on April 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Gladtobehere on April 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Of course he would, beta males always shrink from discussions of true merit…(by that I mean the merits of 3 boobs or upping the “total” to 4)

/s

airmonkey on April 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Cozmo, no takie bait!

hawkdriver on April 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Okay OT. I have to ask. Why are you an “air” monkey?

hawkdriver on April 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Back in the day I taught flying trapeze and other various aerial circus apparatuses (spell check let that through…weird). The online moniker stuck and it seemed safe enough to use it here as I am currently getting a doctorate in nothing related to the circus…harder for the gub’mint to track me down that way… :P

airmonkey on April 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Gladtobehere on April 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Also: One. Giant. Boob. (McCain that is, not AP).

kjl291 on April 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Why not re-release the original? Shit man I got 5 kids to feed lol

jaboba on April 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

airmonkey on April 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Interesting souls you meet here.

Nite all.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Commander Tucker: I’ve heard the women on Draylax have…
Travis Mayweather: Three. It’s true.
Commander Tucker: You know that first-hand?
Travis Mayweather: First-hand, second-hand, and third-hand.

Archivarix on April 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I am so there! I’m a big fan of cheezy sci-fi. This looks like it’ll fill my quote. Not only that, but some parts look good (non cheeze wise).

MrX on April 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The first one sucked. Why bother even thinking about a sequel or adaptation?

Philly on April 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

This post had 38% more of teh boobehs than average!

kjl291 on April 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

The first one sucked. Why bother even thinking about a sequel or adaptation?

Philly on April 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The original made money. Hollywood can now do great special effects, but they’ve mostly forgotten how to make good movies.

Gladtobehere on April 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

When are they going to remake Bullitt? Bruce Willis as Bullitt. The new Mustang versus the old Charger. And Robert Duvall as the cab driver.

InterestedObserver on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Dude, come on! This is absurd!

TruLevinian on April 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Yet again, I have to ask: Why?

logis on April 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I won’t be a great movie, but it has a Beckinsale/Biel fistfight, so I’m there.

NealK on April 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Funny they make re-makes of Sci-fi when there are so many good books that could be done for the first time.

They could do ‘The Forever War’. ‘The Forge of God’ and ‘The Anvil of Stars’ would make a good two movie set. “Foundation”…

trigon on April 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Original movie’s not even aged enough or even that much of a classic (outside of a classic Ahnuld movie), and here’s the remake. Which looks to be like 90% of all other movies these days: boring, washed-out, and unfun. The three mutant ta-tas will be more memorable than this whole movie put together.

Funny also how tolerant, progressive Hollywood loves to cast a full line-up of whites these days. We went from the tough Latina sidekick to another generic scrawny white bim that couldn’t fight her way out of a Gucci bag? Here I thought the Tea Party was racist, or something.

smiley on April 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

InterestedObserver on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The car chase from Bullitt was redone recently on the TV show Alcatraz, click on this link. And Bullitt became Detective Madsen, a seriously hot blond babe. She can arrest me anytime.

Gladtobehere on April 4, 2012 at 2:15 AM

watson007 on April 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I ‘think’ you just said the people under 20 are so stupid they cannot insert a used or rented DVD and watch an old movie.

Now that is funny.

orbitalair on April 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM

InterestedObserver on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

meh, watch ‘DeathProof’ for the big Mopar challenge.
And ladies kick’n a$$…

Stuntman Mike: [as he drives] Hey, Pam, remember when I said this car was death proof? Well, that wasn’t a lie. This car is 100% death proof. Only to get the benefit of it, honey, you REALLY need to be sitting in my seat.

orbitalair on April 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Hot Air talking about movies is the equivalent of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino looking at kids walking onto his lawn. No matter what, you still act like an old, cantankerous fogey.

To be fair, the original Total Recall was just OK. Arnold was the only draw factor. The original movie was based off a short story by Philip K Dick and didn’t have anything to do with Mars. The new movie actually takes a more direct approach to adapting the short story…so yeah, technically this movie is more authentic than the first movie…

smiley on April 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Again, as I stated…Total Recall was taken from a short story by Philip K Dick…and it bastardized it. This movie is trying to actually take away from the short story. ’nuff said.

Sammo21 on April 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

For all the good, original SF material out there, why the remakes and re-hashes?

Someone contact Fred Saberhagen and get some Berserker stories up and going.

Or David Drake so we can get some Hammer’s Slammers pics in theaters, which would be more than just an SFX extravaganza.

Then there is the Alan Dean Foster materials, not just the Humanx Commonwealth stuff, but the books of the Damned… what happens when hi-tech aliens come to Earth because they are losing a war and find we are better armed and capable than they are? Wouldn’t that be a sure cure for all those ‘they are from space so they gotta know everything’ sort of attitude.

Or there is Gordon R. Dickson and his Dorsai works, which would be excellent for cinema, just stick to the short stories.

Go with Eric Flint’s 1632 world and the first novel, alone, would be one of those fun escapades into history by modern Americans, circa 1999.

The future Federation/Empire works of H. Beam Piper should suit the modern day very well, after asking the question: a century after things implode on Earth, just what does space exploration at the far end look like? Dated but still impressive for its sociological implications and fine, fine stories…. You don’t have to start with the Fuzzy works, but could start with Uller Uprising or show the post-federation in the Space Viking era.

What is it with the dystopian stuff? It’s either space opera or dystopianism… yet there are so many more worlds out there that would take well to the silver screen that it is a shame to see retreads over and over and over again. Lots of fresh material out there, some of it with screen adaptations already written for past projects. The SFX is up to those projects now, and even beyond them to a degree, which should make them easier stories to show.

ajacksonian on April 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

ajacksonian on April 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Or, most anything from CJ Cherryh. The Foreigner books would make for a great series. (Though doing nine-foot tall aliens might be just a tiny bit hard without way too much CGI.)
The Vorkosigan stories (Lois McMaster Bujold) would be fantastic. (And, they would fit in with today’s more laidback attitude about … lifestyle differences.)

GWB on April 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

If the lead doesn’t get to “divorce” Sharon Stone, it just won’t do…

Freelancer on April 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, I knew she wasn’t a natural blonde BEFORE basic instinct.

kjl291 on April 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Don’t forget Action Jackson, she was blonde in that. :)

Daemonocracy on April 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I was more excited when it was going to be robert rodriguez as director, because that would have meant it was going to be a loving homage to the days of latex and puppetry.

“Two weeks!”