Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on April 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

“That sound you hear? It’s the fat lady singing.

“For the umpteenth time in the Republican presidential primary race, Mitt Romney defeated Rick Santorum in a major Midwestern swing state — a win that effectively forecloses any chance that the former Massachusetts governor might not be the GOP nominee in the fall…

“‘Maybe it’s time to get going,’ Romney said in an interview with conservative talk show host Sean Hannity on Tuesday. ‘This is time for us to start focusing on [President Obama] rather than standing and focusing on one another in these primary contests.’”

***

“In a move that shows Republicans are coalescing around the party’s front-runner, Mitt Romney plans to begin raising money jointly with the Republican National Committee this week as both the candidate and the GOP brace for an expensive general-election fight against President Barack Obama.

“The arrangement will allow top donors to write checks as large as $75,000 per person, by giving to party organizations in addition to the campaign. That’s far more than the $2,500 ceiling that applies to individual donations to a presidential candidate for the fall election.

“The move reflects a general clamor within the party to begin amassing the funds needed to compete with Mr. Obama’s fundraising operation, Romney and RNC advisers said. “Our donors are ready to mobilize for November,” said Andrea Saul, a Romney spokesperson. For the Republican nominee to be able to compete with the president’s re-election effort, ‘they need to get started now.’”

***

“Senior Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod mocked GOP front-runner Mitt Romney’s economic policies on Tuesday, saying his ideas were from a ‘time warp.’

“‘He must watch ‘Mad Men’ and think it’s the evening news,’ said Axelrod on ‘CBS This Morning,’ referring to the popular drama set in the 1960s.

“Axelrod accused Romney of being ‘oblivious to the experiences of everyday people.’”

***

“Aides continue to debate whether they should seize even tighter control of the former Massachusetts governor or yield to the push by some advisers to ‘let Romney be Romney’ — but they have yet to crack the code. ‘They haven’t been able to grapple with the central issue and central challenge they face as a campaign,’ one Romney adviser lamented. ‘In the absence of a candidate who has any poetry — who has any ability to connect on an emotional level — how do you create a bond?’…

“The operative said the campaign had become overprotective of Romney. ‘It’s part of the ‘We’ve got to keep him locked in a box’ thing. You know, at a certain point, the narrative feeds the narrative, right? So if you keep him locked in the box, then people say, ‘Well, that’s why they’ve got to keep him locked in the box,’ and it’s a giant mistake. He’s a really smart person. You can have a conversation with him, and he’s going to say some things that are going to make you cringe, but he’s going to say some things that sound pretty smart, and you’ve got to be able to take the risk.’”

***

“What’s interesting about Romney and his supporters is that, despite his conservative rhetoric, moderates and country club conservatives continue to support his candidacy.

“Think about it. Romney, who stresses his opposition to abortion, talks tough on immigration and rules out a tax increase even to help cut the deficit, continues to get the support of pragmatic conservatives who reject former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum’s ideological rigidity, thought Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.) was too conservative and viewed Texas Gov. Rick Perry as a bomb thrower…

Romney’s great asset is that these voters figure he is merely pandering to evangelicals and the most conservative element of the GOP when he talks about cultural issues, immigration and taxes.

“The bottom line, of course, is that nobody — not his critics and not his allies — really believes Mitt Romney.”

***

“Mitt can’t fake it. He stinks at politicking. But then again, so did many others who would later succeed at governing. If Boston wants their candidate to humanize himself, maybe they should just let him admit that fact and stop trying to stuff himself into a suit that doesn’t fit…

“Mitt Romney should then just admit the sad truth. He’s stiff. He’s boring. He looks plain uncomfortable every time he tries to be cool. And despite what the love of his life may believe, he has never been the life of any party. But he may be the only leader on the national stage who has what it takes to fix an economy that’s deep in debt, bleeding jobs by the year and suffering through 30 years of decline.

“Now is not the time to tell jokes. Now is the time to lead. So Mitt Romney, lead. And leave the bad jokes to Jay Leno.”

***

“With his sweep of the Wisconsin and Maryland primaries, Mitt Romney has finally secured the 2012 GOP presidential nomination. That is no small feat, given the realities of the modern Republican Party.

“But he did so without sketching out any design of what a new social model might look like. Indeed, Mr. Romney seemed to stand aside from the most urgent political and policy question of our time — what comes next — and instead bored us to tears with reassurances that America would be great again if only we elected him to its highest office.

“The key to a Romney victory is not to defeat President Obama; that would be a byproduct. The key is to make the case that the Blue Social Model is truly dead, that a new model is urgently needed and to present the first rough draft of what the new model might look like. Points one and two are an open-and-shut case. Point three is much riskier, obviously, but will (over time and with repetition) sharpen the points of difference. Vote for Obama and surely sink. Vote for Romney and at least there’s hope.

“Mr. Romney will never run his campaign along these lines. He and his team will Etch A Sketch as they go; energy today, bomb Iran tomorrow, whatever gets them through the next news cycle.”

***

***

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Midwestprincesse on April 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Been a while. I noticed you getting it pretty good over there on,……..whatever thread that was. Hope you gave as good as you got. ; )

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Time for Today’s Tech Tip:

If you phone’s battery is running low it might be a good idea to charge it before a long trip. And be sure to put some gas in the car too.

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Arnold you should try this one to mix it up next time.

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I wish Breitbart was still here.

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Words to live by.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Here’s one for ya.

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

From when the Stones didn’t suck.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Not a bad day. 5th Circuit judge reads Obama the Riot Act (or asks the DOJ why he shouldn’t). Jay Carney collapses on Fox. Romney gives a Pretty Good Speech. canopfor lost and found. QOTD continues, and the music plays on. Here’s mine.

de rigueur on April 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

At least with Romney there is a chance that he will listen to the things that will really bring this country back instead of the downward trajectory we’re on, like the back half of a bell curve.

I have a feeling he’ll listen and act, versus what obama does; ignore all realistic advice (even from panels he puts together himself) and just do whatever he feels will bring us so far under that we HAVE to try something different than clinging to capitalism.

Boy, that guy needs a ‘re-education’, and I’m killing myself being polite here.

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

LegendHasIt on April 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Your not hated. If you’re honest, you’re respected. This day and age dare I say envied and admired. You can’t always judge by the initial response you receive. Short of a bloody nose. Of course I have had it broken three times. Maybe you’re on to something after all. ; )

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I’m calling it a night! Sweet dreams everyone! Glad your safe canopfor!!!

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

First song I remember from Rod was Maggie May, boot camp Ft Ord CA.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM

7th Light Infantry?

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

From when the Stones didn’t suck.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Yep. 66 – 71.

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Well, I’m going to bed feeling more positive than usual, so here’s my music and g’nite.

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Time for Today’s Obama Tech Tip:

If your phone’s car’s battery is running low it might be a good idea to charge it before a long trip. And be sure to put some gas in hook up the windmill for the car too.

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Fixed it for PC Leftist speech censors (but I repeat myself, twice) …

ShainS on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

The Tea Party, if crossed, will help Gov. Romney get it right.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Pleasant Dreams

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Interesting!

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:43 AM

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

This was a very good one..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

First song I remember from Rod was Maggie May, boot camp Ft Ord CA.
arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Here’s one for ya.

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Now you went and set me off. I got PTSD, E and F from that war.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Later friend..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Yep. 66 – 71.

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Seemed real then.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Good Night Cindy, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I’m calling it a night! Sweet dreams everyone! Glad your safe canopfor!!!

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Good night, Cindy!

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Does anyone remember “the raisin song”? And has anyone ever done a bad version of it?

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I do. It was from the CA raisin board. Little dancing raisins, probably now it would upset some people.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Interesting!

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:43 AM

If you mean the music, here’s another that fits well. Viking Metal / Finnish Metal / Battle Metal is my genre. It’s the soundtrack for my life.

Now I must crash!

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Now you went and set me off. I got PTSD, E and F from that war.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Sorry, Arnold. Things are a lot calmer in the Hooterville neighborhood.

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Night Wolfmoon.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

ShainS on April 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Hilarious. Hook it up to a windmill. LOL*

SparkPlug on April 4, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Seemed real then.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Hey! My favorite Stones song!

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Seemed real then.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM

?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

oww.. had mine bent a few times, kicked, never broken though.. a couple of scars chin, left jaw, my knuckles look like I used to hammer nails with em.. I know so much what you meant earlier, about being proud to never say something about someone if you wouldn’t say it to their face..

words to live by..

And you’re right, it costs you some, people either love you for life, or hate your guts.. no one is neutral much about you.. but ya know,.. I take comfort in that too. Been a scrapper my whole life, even now, I can’t completely step away from that..

I think there are a lot of us here who are very much alike in outlook, in temperament. Certainly in attitude.. we’d a made a Hell of a Fireteam..

and… oh,.. I was a bit of a head banger before the words were put together..

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

A whole lot of bravado on the interwebs. Can you imagine if it were like that on the street?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

It’s just a teensy bit funny though, right?

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Alright, look what you made me do.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

This was a very good one..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

One of the best. Paint it black is my favorite.

People go on about the sixties, but they didn’t have that much great music as far as I can tell. The Stones definitely had a few good years, though. I saw them in Columbus a few years ago. Great sound production for a stage show. Back-up was the White Stripes. Also good.

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Bmore, nice response earlier to the site nanny. Yowwza

I’m on such a different time schedule here that by the time dinner, dishes, kids to bed,I play catch up for so long I miss most of the good conversations.

Could you tell me if Canopfor is safe like Cindy said?

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bmore
3 times huh, that’s all?
I my drinking days it was about once every 6 months.
Good thing I don’t drink!
Old ppl don’t heal as fast!

angrymike on April 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM

?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I mean that back then the Stones seemed more genuine and less like an artificial, packaged ‘product.’ The music, the lyrics, the performances. They became a sort of parody of themselves.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM

de rigueur on April 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Sometimes in the morning, I go back and watch the clips I just skimmed the night before. Amazon music loves me.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Alright, look what you made me do.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yikes, that’s not part of the dance routine for the wife I hope:)

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Well I’m out y-all, DHChron kept me out late last night.
Good night all……….
Canopfor, stay out of trouble, my friend……….;-)

angrymike on April 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Alright, look what you made me do.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

This is their best song. That episode was hilarious!

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Wolfmoon on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Okay, but what about this? As far as your Scandinavian death thrash metal with a theme, this has to be tops. Now that is some amazing stuff.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Could you tell me if Canopfor is safe like Cindy said?

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Looks like safe less his links. Personally I had come to rely on canopfor for a heads up on events I may be missing when on a thread. I guess the powers that be don’t agree. Too bad.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Did you like Steel Wheels from 89? I thought it was very good.
They are kind of a parody but Jagger is still in pretty good shape to dance for an hour and not keel over.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Old ppl don’t heal as fast!

angrymike on April 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM

At least we don’t have to as often. I’ve lost most of my spunk. Sleep well angrymike.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM

angrymike on April 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Sleep well, mike. I’m gone, too. Waaaaay past curfew! Night all and sweet dreams! Dire: Sha na na na, hey hey goodbye! ;-D

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Thanks, agreed.

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

7th Light Infantry?

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Boot at Ft Ord then to helicopter repair school at Ft. Rucker. And then vacation overseas.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

They became a sort of parody of themselves.

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Oh, cause I was confused about the age thingy, that was a while back when the Stones started up. I hated them and the Beatles growing up because of my older Sis. She played them constantly.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:04 AM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I liked this tune by them..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

These kids?

uuuuhhhh,…. probably best it’s left to the last generations who settled it with a fight with just your hands.. kids now,. too quick to speak, when silence works better.. too quick to reach for something when men just used their fists.

I bet most of you guys fall into the ,.. just do it, not talk to each other about it school.. Seen that, done that,.. some punk would stand there talking smack.. and talking and talking.. when I or any southern boy I ever knew, wouldn’t say much of anything… and the smack talker would be down before finishing his sentence..

If I’m going to fight, I’m not going to debate em first..

kids now want to talk an hour before they do anything..

John Wayne, would not approve.

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Good Night Cyndy. Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM

John Wayne, would not approve.

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM

LOL! Truer words seldom spoken.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:07 AM

cynccook on April 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

‘Nite

jaime on April 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Yikes, that’s not part of the dance routine for the wife I hope:)

MontanaMmmm on April 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Nope, but whats a wife for if you can’t give em the occasional dutch oven?

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I liked this tune by them..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Nice production value for those couple of years. Yet not to over done.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:04 AM

My sis had an Elvis thing,.. now,.. He died, then two years later, I lost her to cancer when she was 23,.. I didn’t enlist for 3 years after high school, to help her through that, but, she didn’t make it.

Now I do listen to Elvis once in a while, just to remember her better.

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM

mittens! I love that guy.

oh wait…I hate that guy. Whatevs…he’s better than the Kenyan.

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Nice..I liked this song by him..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Hey Deb,..

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM

They definitely had a gripload of good music. Earlier someone was asking about Rod Stewart’s moto cross daughter. The older one just about blew out her liver at 26 from drinking. Rod told her “honey, not everyone can be Keith Richards.”

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Oh God dire straits! That song blows and I had to watch an Obamacare commercial before I could listen to it.

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Lemme say one more thing: SCOAMF. That is all.

Lanceman on April 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Lemme say that those who don’t get you are utter fools. I knew instantly what you meant when you said tonight “I’m gona with obama”, or some such.

Fluke them all and wish them luck. I know what you’ll do, but they deserve no better.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

You believe this sh!t? Schad! Attacking ME for Chrissake!

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM

just kidding…except for that song blowing and stuff ;)

didn’t mean to shut down the conversation

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM

That is a very good point..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Iassume your talking about the Kid Rock tune??..I have friends who don’t like it either..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I’ll attack you Lanceman…it’s cause I know kung fu.

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Still hope for SMOD, the primary is only half over.

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM

yep :) I soured on Kid Rock when he went country and tried to sing.

Stick to white boy rap Kid!

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I’ll attack you Lanceman…it’s cause I know kung fu.

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM

That’s OK. I carry a .45. I’ll just go Zimmerman on your ass.

But seriously. Is there a numbnuts here that doesn’t think I’ll vote for the Rethuglican nominee? Do I, Lance Johnson, really need sarc tags?

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Stepped away for a bit. Hows the pooch?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I am sure he lost some fans when he changed music styles..But I’m sure he picked up some fans also..:)

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I wouldn’t think so. Some people just don’t get you I guess. People are funny. No accounting for taste I always say.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:38 AM

That’s OK. I carry a .45. I’ll just go Zimmerman on your ass.

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM

racist!

I’ve never used a sarc tag…sarc tags are like retardation in text form.

sorry sarc tag users! I didn’t mean it/

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I can expect the newbies to go bananas, but not the Schadenfreuds. Even the DH Chronographs I can cut some slack.

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Stepped away for a bit. Hows the pooch?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I visited her yesterday…she’s still lethargic but she gave me a good face licking. Vet says she’ll be home by friday.

Thanks for asking. I’m such a pvssy…I teared up as soon as you mentioned her :)

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM

racist!

I’ve never used a sarc tag…sarc tags are like retardation in text form.

sorry sarc tag users! I didn’t mean it/

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Yeah. I like that. Here in Florida, you will be loathe to find a single Hispanic that doesn’t identify with being ‘black’. You ask them and the response is invariably “I’m black, dawg.”

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I teared up as soon as you mentioned her :)

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Good to hear. Not the crying part so much. : ) A good dog is hard to replace.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Dire Straits on April 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM

oh… OH… me ..ME.. my tastes are eclectic to say the least. I still confuse my wife on music, liking stuff she’s sure I’ll not like.

and just to really kick over the card table..

Androgenic rock from the 80′s..

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I was hoping Dire Straits would play that song by Great White that goes

Romney
Romney
Romney
Romney nowwwwwww
Hold me through the night…

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Good night y’all.

I just realized it’s effin’ 1:50 Central!

that means sleepy time for Chron.

latahs

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Well friends I’ve done enough damage for one evening. Y’all keep up the good work, stay serious/ and don’t let the meat loaf. No I ain’t linkin no stinkin meat loaf. How about this though. Its good for around 41 minutes. Any how canopfor keep it tickity-boo. ; )

Good Night All.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Scroo this. I’m voting for Mittens!

Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I can expect the newbies to go bananas, but not the Schadenfreuds.
Lanceman on April 4, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Schaden was agreeing with you, defending you. Sometimes when someone learns 5 languages before they learn ‘american’ the nuance doesn’t always come through.

LegendHasIt on April 4, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Good night Johnboy.

celtic warrior on April 4, 2012 at 2:57 AM

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Gave my Duke a squeeze, and tummy rub… just reading that made me need too.. Still in my prayers..

nite all..

mark81150 on April 4, 2012 at 3:03 AM

just kidding…except for that song blowing and stuff ;)

DHChron on April 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Remember these guys (and gal)?

John the Libertarian on April 4, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Sounds like I missed a good party. Canopfor reeled in, everyone playing Stones videos and scratching their dogs … wth?

Jaibones on April 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM

ok, its really over. Mitt is our candidate :(
next steps:
1) be depressed with politics
2) tune off from politics as long as possible
3) support Mitt flopney the in half hearted way. (sorry guys, I just cannot do more, I leave the enthusiasm for hard core partisans)
4) vote for Mitt in november

predictions:
Obama will get second term. because:
1- the dems political machine is competent and united while the republicans are divided.
2- the social con section of the republican party will have no enthusiasm for romney
3- the war on women(tm) bled too much votes and excited the dem base.

on another note, my real thoughts are, that romney is not that diferent from Obama, and victory matters more for the partisans than to the general population that will get more or less the same with either one. there is not revolutionary candidate in this election, just more of the same connected corrupt politicians taking lobbying money and governing for the lobbyists…
there will be no significant reduction of goverment that would satisfy a libertarian minded voter with Romney and for sure not with Obama.
there will be not moralization and regulation of the political process with either obama or romney.
no major diference in foreign policy.

bah…

nathor on April 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM

predictions:
Obama will get second term. because:
3- the war on women(tm) bled too much votes and excited the dem base.
nathor on April 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Rebuttals
1. The fundraising is way off putting senate and house seats in jeopardy as Obama has already said they are not sharing.
2. Do you really think that Republicans will sit it out en masse? Do social issues get helped or hurt by the possibility of 3 liberal justices added to the SC?
3. You are parroting the media narrative. It was Santorum who caused the most ruckus with his contraception stances.

You say a lot about partisans but by definition partisans are generally ideologues. The ideologues on the right are not screaming Romney at the top of their lungs. What partisans does that leave.

Lastly, if there is no major differences with Romney and Obama and no need to support the party candidate is it fair to say that the past three years of fearmongering about the demise of the republic by those like you has been insincere?

Bradky on April 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Midwestprincesse on April 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Nah…she was made to look even dumber than usual. She is the epitome of the words “political hack”.

3- the war on women(tm) bled too much votes and excited the dem base.

nathor on April 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM

What war on women? Did you really buy into that line?

I realize the Dems spin was designed for stupid people. On second thought now I get why you bought it.

CW on April 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Jaibones on April 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Hey there! Hope all is well in the land of Lincoln. This QOTD thread has become the corner of the study hall lately.

“There was music in the cafes at night
And revolution in the air.” from Tangled Up in Blue by Dylan

Bradky on April 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Santorum’s picture on drudge looks like he is passing a kidney stone.

Bradky on April 4, 2012 at 6:43 AM

good morning!
the wonder twins on morning joe think dear leader is following the ’96 strategy of dole/gingrich with romney/ryan today to win this election, forget who the VP is…

and mika is a tad upset that joe keeps bringing up the senate without a budget meme….nevermind her bringing up romney and elevators ad nauseum….get over it chica…

cmsinaz on April 4, 2012 at 6:43 AM

AP:

Now that it’s clear, even to you, that Mitt is our nominee, do you think you can lighten up on the guy? Fake it if you have to. Stop telling us how depressed you are about it and quit spinning every remark he says as some kind of gaffe. It’s time to put the petty gripes about whether he’s the conservatest guy who ever lived and accept that it is Mitt or Obama. Unless you’re happy with 4 more years of Obamandias, the Great Destroyer it’s well past time for you to fall in line.

MJBrutus on April 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Says the guy who has a boss whose grifter wife thinks nothing of jetting of on lavish vacations at public expense. Says the guy who has a boss who is very proud he did not grow up as an ordinary American. Says the guy who does not understand why Americans are not re-electing him in a walk for delivering Obamacare.

Axelrod is just as much a tool as anybody associated with this administration.

Happy Nomad on April 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM

cmsinaz on April 4, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Team Obama….. Say, isn’t it time for the boss to make another statement about Trayvon Martin or Sandra Fluke? Anything to distract the masses.

Happy Nomad on April 4, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Happy Nomad on April 4, 2012 at 7:21 AM

it’s coming for sure…

cmsinaz on April 4, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Rebuttals

fundraising is now very opaque. who knows how much money dems and reps have sitting on those super pacs.
any way, goes to my argument that politics will be bought. which is a sad and depressing state of the politics of this country.

I do get the concern about the SC a lot in HA, but in real life, this worries people little. some socons will drum this for theirs cherished issues, but for moderates and independents the issue is of little relevance.

I not blaming anyone, but polls show that damage is done.

no, partisans are not ideologues, they will defend their party even if they have to bend their ideology. this is my understanding of a partisan.

the establishment partisans. the people that see the GOP as a sport club and defend it no matter what.
the libertarian ideologues or the socons ideologues are of course disappointed with romney.

Bradky on April 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I never fearmongered the demise of the republic. by the contrary, I was in the OOTD posts denouncing the mindless hate fest that it was. Its sad that people, maybe bloggers included(although they have the excuse of giving red meat to their readers for $), gets so into the political rhetoric, that they lose a notion of common sense. making an unbiased comparison of obama with former presidents, it will show a very similar behavior and efficiency.
I really dont dislike Obama any more than any other average politician. he is a centrist Dem that will be opposed by a centrist Repub. both parties will fearmonger their bases while they cash in lobbyist money.
In my opinion, the Dems have this game better prepared that the GOP in this election cycle and they will probably win.

nathor on April 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM