Open thread: Wisconsin, Maryland, D.C.; Update: Romney wins MD, DC; Update: Romney wins WI

posted at 7:45 pm on April 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Fully 98 delegates are at stake and Romney’s probably going to win nearly all of them. The polls in Washington and Maryland close at 8 p.m. ET, but don’t worry about that. It’s a foregone conclusion that Romney will win both and, maybe, crack 50 percent in doing so. (PPP’s Maryland poll from a few days ago had him ahead of Santorum 52/27.) Wisconsin, where the polls close at 9 p.m. ET, is shakier but that looks like a Romney win too. At last check, PPP had it 43/36, which is right in line with where most of the polls of the state have been over the past month. Santorum’s overperformed his polling before on election night so there’s a slim, slim chance for one last “Not Romney” hurrah, but this is where Mitt likely starts to wrap things up. Says RCP political guru Sean Trende:

What about Tuesday night? Here we are beginning to see signs of movement. The Maryland polling suggests that Romney should receive about 56 percent of the three-way vote, while [my demographic] model suggested 49 percent would be more in line with other states.

Similarly, Wisconsin should be a close race — akin to Ohio — with Romney receiving 43 percent of the vote. For a while, it appeared that Santorum would be exceeding expectations there. But Romney now leads by about eight points, with polls suggesting he should receive around 49 percent of the three-way vote. Again, this suggests an over-performance of about six-seven points.

If this happens, taken together with Illinois and Maryland, we might conclude that Romney really has managed to break out of his demographic rut, at least in the Midwest and Northeast. This is significant, given the large cache of delegates at stake in those regions (though many of these states have already voted).

In other words, the usual rules of the race — Romney wins urbanites, Santorum wins evangelicals, etc — seem to have relaxed a bit as Republicans slowly reconcile themselves to a Romney nomination. Tonight’s results could be further evidence of that. Santorum still leads by six points in his home state of Pennsylvania but I’ll be curious to see how those polls shift if Mitt cleans up today, and especially if he does better with rural voters than expected. Romney already has four paid staffers working PA and will send lots more tomorrow in hopes of finishing off Santorum there on April 24. If Santorum’s lead is already down to mid-single-digits, what’ll it be after Romney hits the trail there and starts spending ad dollars and gets the positive buzz of a trifecta in WI, MD, and DC tonight?

Here’s the Google Elections page for results, although I’ve found that CNN’s vote totals are a few minutes faster. Updates are coming below, so stand by.

Update: Bad tidings for Team Sweater Vest from the early Wisconsin exit polls: Evangelical turnout is slightly down from 2008 and more than 80 percent of voters expect Romney to be the nominee. But what about Santorum’s withering attacks on RomneyCare and ObamaCare? Quote:

Though Rick Santorum tried to make the case in Wisconsin that Mitt Romney’s record on health care “uniquely disqualified” him to take on Mr. Obama on the issue, Republican primary voters are closely divided in whom they trust more to handle the issue. Almost a third trust Mr. Romney more to handle health care policy; almost as many have more confidence in Mr. Santorum’s abilities in this field.

That may reflect Mr. Romney’s particular situation when it comes to the federal health care law that came under intense scrutiny at the Supreme Court last week.

According to the WSJ, Romney’s also beating Santorum 51/38 among voters who decided in just the last few days. A quote to ponder from a Wisconsin voter while we wait for more: “I very much hope that he gets the nomination and we get this thing settled soon. These guys are kind of tearing each other apart in the process. I think it’s a circular firing squad at this point.”

Update: Annnnnnnnd here’s how the Wisconsin Democrats spent their day.

Update: To no one’s surprise, Maryland and Washington are called promptly for Romney at 8 p.m. Stand by for exit polls.

Update: Here’s the Maryland exit poll. As Trende guessed, we’re seeing some demographic surprises. Santorum’s supposed to be the blue-collar candidate, and yet:

He’s also supposed to be the conservative candidate, and yet:

This is the one that’ll get attention tomorrow, though, assuming that these numbers hold (exit poll data will be adjusted throughout the evening):

Per the exits, Romney’s right on the cusp of 50 percent in the state.

Update: We’ve got nearly an hour until Wisconsin results and then probably an hour after that before the state is called, so chew on this important and worrisome poll data from Rasmussen in the meantime. Dude, I’m nervous:

A majority of Wisconsin voters now support the effort to recall Republican Governor Scott Walker.

A new Rasmussen Reports statewide survey shows that, if the recall election was held today, 52% of Likely Voters would vote to recall Governor Walker and remove him from office. Forty-seven percent (47%) would vote against the recall and let him continue to serve as governor.

Update: And that’s that: Fox News calls Wisconsin for Romney. Here’s the exit poll. Santorum did manage to win very-low-income voters and evangelicals (narrowly) this time, but Romney won conservatives and strong tea-party supporters. The end is near for Team Sweater Vest. And from what I’m hearing on Twitter, he may be close to acknowledging it: Apparently he referenced Reagan’s 1976 campaign, in which he finished second to Gerald Ford, in his concession speech. Is he shifting focus to 2016 now?

Update: Nope, turns out I’m wrong. Patrick Ishmael e-mails to say that Santorum’s been using the Reagan ’76 line for a few weeks at least.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9

While the thought of acting in concert with basil the supercilious puts a knot in my stomach, western civilization is considerably more important.

wolfsDad on April 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Yep.

Nom de Boom on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Ha!! I knew it!!! I’m psychic. Hey, S.P. did you like their awesome robocalls for Santorum?

Buy Danish on April 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I wasn’t aware they were making robocalls. Since I’m down in Virginia, I’m not privy to their activities. It wouldn’t surprise me if they made robocalls though.

Stoic Patriot on April 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Robocall text. I had the audio at one point, can’t find it now. It begins:

“Hi, my name is Brian Camenker; I’m a Jew from Massachusetts.

“And, this is Darcy Brandon; I’m a Christian from California. If you believe as we do that marriage and sexuality should only be between a man and a woman, please help us stop Mitt Romney.

Buy Danish on April 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

It ends:

This message paid for by Jews and Christians Together.org and not authorized by any candidate. To get the facts before you vote, visit Jews and Christians Together.org.”

Funny you would forget to mention that. Must have slipped your mind.

Flora Duh on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Why isn’t there more calls for Newt to drop out?

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Is he really any kind of threat?

He seems to understand that his job is too just get rid of Barry…
Possibly looking for a cabinet positon?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Well,I think I’m back in action!

canopfor on April 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Whew,I dodged a Ban_Hammer Airstrike,so guys,
I thank everyone involved,I must stay on topic,
and no more linkys,which curbs ny style,again,
Thanks Everyone,and Thank-You once again Allah
Pundit!

I’m rattled,I will talk to everyone tomorrow,

Good Night H/A:)

canopfor on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

No need to worry. He’s back!:)

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Good to know. Thanks.

4Grace on April 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Nom de Boom on April 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I fully agree with you that there are a lot of things to be afraid of in a flexible Barry sitting in the White House for another 4 years. None of us can afford to have that nightmare scenario.

galtani on April 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Thank God. I mean Allah. Oh, you know what I mean.

Nom de Boom on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

How does winning states he will not win in November prove anything?

He is not going to win any of the states (DC not a state) he won here tonight

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Yoooohoooo!

/Wisconsin

Nom de Boom on April 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Possibly looking for a cabinet positon?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I don’t think so. Newt is probably looking to have help retiring his debts and preserve his viability as a speaker, commentator and author. A cabinet position paying less than $ 200,000 a year is not something that will interest him when his annual take nowadays is over 3 million.

galtani on April 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Romnageddon.

BKennedy on April 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

How does winning states he will not win in November prove anything?

He is not going to win any of the states (DC not a state) he won here tonight

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

There ya go! Gosh, this place just wouldn’t survive without your pearls of wisdom. I suppose you could just get lost for awhile to see if it proves my point. :)

4Grace on April 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM

How does winning states he will not win in November prove anything?

He is not going to win any of the states (DC not a state) he won here tonight

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Did Obama winning Nebraska, Mississippi, Kansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota prove anything?

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM

How does winning states he will not win in November prove anything?

He is not going to win any of the states (DC not a state) he won here tonight

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

If I remember my liberal whining correctly there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about how Obama’s win in Idaho in 2008 was such that he got a bigger delegate edge out of that state than Hillary got out of her win in the battleground state of Ohio. Were you part of the bunch complaining about that win in a state the Democrat candidate was never going to carry (and didn’t) in the fall?

alchemist19 on April 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

How does winning states he will not win in November prove anything?

He is not going to win any of the states (DC not a state) he won here tonight

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Because Romney would not be running against Santorum, Newt, Paul and Barry in the red states that he lost. He will be running against Barry alone in a head to head competition. Romney will win against Barry in those red states.

galtani on April 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Damn! There’s just too many responses to this stupid comment…

How does winning states he will not win in November prove anything?

He is not going to win any of the states (DC not a state) he won here tonight

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

State the States he won’t win..if you can…

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Huckabee as vp to pull in the poor people who hate the smart rich people like romney I guess

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

OK, I’m on the Left Coast, am I destined to have to deal with this crap just because I’m 2-3 hr behind?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Is he really any kind of threat?

He seems to understand that his job is too just get rid of BarryRick
Possibly looking for a cabinet positon?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FIFY

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Is he really any kind of threat?

He seems to understand that his job is too just get rid of BarryRick…
Possibly looking for a cabinet positon?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FIFY

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Not sure what what you’re trying say here?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM

See you in 2016!

Bye, bye, bye!

TheAlamos on April 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Wisconsin is winnable for the GOP. Maryland is hopelessly liberal, though.

therightwinger on April 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Mormontheman is not even a clever imposter.

galtani on April 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Tonight was a good night for conservatives in this country,

Can we just enjoy it, and say “On to the next fight”!

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

On to November!

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Glad this primary season over.

netster007x on April 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Not sure what what you’re trying say here?

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM

O.o
I Fixed It For You.. as in, I agreed with two-thirds of your comment and fixed the portion in which I didn’t; e.g.— Barry Rick
I hope this helps!

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Have you seen the story in the headlines?

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Huh?

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Its up to Pennsylvania to kick the bitter Rick out of GOP politics for good one more time. I hope they will turn Romney after tonight.

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Why is he bitter because he thinks he would make a good president. Deluded maybe but bitter?

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM
I thought you meant the story that Mitt won 3 more contests. I’m not going to disrespect your opinion, mine is that 2/3 of the states have voted and the majority of remaining delegates will go to Romney.

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM

State the States he won’t win..if you can…

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Personally, I doubt he can win Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida… which to me is depressing.

firegnome on April 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Here is what Rick said about those city dwellers who don’t vote for him.

“They’re not going to be participating in small-town life,” he said. “They’re not going to be connected to mainstream America or to God and his creation.

They can’t be connected to God? A majority of religious leaders back this guy?

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Of course you’re not disrespecting anyone, I just didn’t know if you were aware that Sen. Santorum thinks all of this was the first half. My guess is upon reflection he’ll think better of it.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM

O.o
I hope this helps!

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

OK, guess I just have a problem with ridiculous comments to begin with…Thanks for sharing though..

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Sorry, my brain apparently stops working at 1:15 im the morning. (:
I’ll try better to keep up.

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I’ve spent the last three days traveling with Mitt through the great state of Wisconsin to listen to voters’ concerns and promote our shared message of more jobs, less debt, and smaller government.

I’ve enjoyed my time with Mitt. He’s a great guy — and my time with him has further convinced me that he is the right person for the job

Rep Paul Ryan

Spend some time with Mitt and you will want him to win your state to.

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Mine stopped earlier but I don’t let it stop me. Obviously.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

firegnome on April 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I thought that as well, but you can see more and more demo’s coalescing to Romney. I continue to think that the majority of conservatives, and Indy’s, will see what is at stake, and vote accordingly.

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

When a sitting president blames as prices on the potential GOP
Nominee it means he’s worried about the fall.

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

People have thrown around the threat of sitting out – the real threat is that Indys will sit out if they find both candidates unappealing.

firegnome on April 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Have you seen the story in the headlines?

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM

There are 55 primaries total (50 states plus the 4 territories plus DC), ignoring the fact that Missouri somehow inserted itself into the schedule 3 times.

As of tonight, there are 20 contests left. That’s means that either 63.6% of the primaries have been held (if you count Missouri once), or 65% if you count Missouri 3 times with 2 already completed. Either way, Santorum is wrong and we’re down to the final 1/3 of states, 11 or 12 of which (including 2 of the big 3) favor Romney.

HTL on April 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM

HTL on April 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Three times? Kind of pushy! About the only upside I see at this point is that a lot of voters feel like the primary votes count for a change.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

firegnome on April 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I refuse to believe that “Indy’s” will be so dis-satisfied with the Republican candidate that they will stay home.

If that’s the case, they’re a Democrat anyway..

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Actually kind of funny and mysterious. I understand that Missouri decided to switch from a primary to a caucus system, but didn’t get around to repealing the law that mandated the primary until too late, so they had to hold it as a non-binding event.

That doesn’t explain the second event, which was a caucus and was also apparently non-binding, or the third one which is coming up and is also described as non-binding (although I think it may select state delegates who then select convention delegates at some later event).

To paraphrase someone who commented a few weeks ago (I wish I could remember who) on this site…what are they waiting for, a chili cook-off?

There is no doubt that this primary season has gone on for longer than is normal, by deliberate design of the RNC. Time will tell whether that was a good idea or not, but it should lay to rest the idea that “they” have been trying to shove a candidate down our throats. Should, but probably won’t.

HTL on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

HTL on April 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Yeah, thanks, Micheal Steele, strip clubs and proportional delegates.

Rusty Allen on April 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Esoteric on April 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

all I go by is the raw numbers and with 71% of the vote in romneycare is up 4% or 14,000 votes. You realize he outspent santorium by $5 million in the state and has the entire state get out the vote organization and yet he’s ahead by 4 freakin percent.

Mittbot, if you cost us the general and I’m stuck with satan for 4 more years I’ll hound you too.

Danielvito on April 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Oh, so St. Rick was grarr-ann-teed the win, but bad ‘ol Mittens just went and out-spent, and out-organized him–something we KNOW won’t happen with the Chicago machine in the real election/…Grow up Dannyboy, and see what most of us have reluctantly come to realize…Mittens is the last man standing. Save that vitriol for Oclueless, and close ranks. What is your goal–actually? Is it to lick your wounds, and keep yowling, or join in the fight. How much do you love your country, after all…

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Rusty Allen on April 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

How does it feel to go thru lofe named after corrosion!

By the way, romneycare has a couple of things rusty that he needs you to polish!

Danielvito on April 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Good God, doesn’t your mother know you are up past your bedtime on a school night?

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Corrosion, I mean Rusty the chump, you are a great reason why Romneycare has no chance to win in Nov.. Instead of trying to get a conservative like me to vote for your liberal, you do everthing in your power to piss me off. keep it up, with people like me sitting this election out your binky has a fine chance to win!

Danielvito on April 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

If I see ONE more childish, “I’m going to sit home on election day and pout” remark….and what’s the matter, did your binky drop out while you were furiously typing? Calling childish names is a sign of a loser…GROW THE FLUKE UP!

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM

HA- this moron, rusty allen uses his real name as a nickname, this my friends is a romneycare supporter.

Danielvito on April 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

And THIS my friends is a rabid, frothing at the mouth, St Ricky supporter, howling his frustration at the moon. Guess I shall call you a moonbat, cause the moon is apparently bringing out the lunatic in you…at least I’m giving you the benefit of the double that you have gone crazy with grief that your boy is a loser….Hell, each one of my pick’s have fallen by the wayside, but most of us did not migrate to Ricky’s place…have you ever wondered about that?

I have waited until the delegate count fortold our future…own it little one. George Washington and General Patton would have left you behind in the mud, or shot you for the traiter you have become…You dont care about your country–your are just nursing your wounded pride. You sore losers make me sick…what with all your self-righteousness. Funny–that’s one of the reasons I never liked Ricky–he was always so “self-righteous”…oh, and petty–as witnessed in his speech tonight.

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Let’s try it again. Canopfor is an asset to this site. I do not understand this, Allah.

katy the mean old lady on April 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

What she said…

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Playing the victim of oppression just because a political candidate wins is petty and fruitless.

Rusty Allen on April 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Dannyboy–now THIS is how an ADULT plays…Now run along–this is the adult table…the other kids are waiting for you to come back to the kids table andmake those funny faces….

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Why isn’t there more calls for Newt to drop out?

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’m a Newtbot, and even I know that he has become inconsequential…his mealsy bit of voters will NOT put Stl Ricky over the top in delegates….

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Nom de Boom on April 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM

No need to worry. He’s back!:)

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

He’s back, but his posts are being moderated…grr

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:43 AM

GOPRanknFile on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Dang, been trying like crazy to catch up on the thread…poor Canopfor…

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:55 AM

If the fight is about beating Obama and hoping for the best, then fine…go all in for the Democrat in (R) clothing. But the fight must be about saving this nation. If you think Mittens is the guy to do it, good luck with that. I truly hope you are right. I just don’t think you are. Same destination, slower train.

swinia sutki on April 4, 2012 at 5:21 AM

State the States he won’t win..if you can…

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

He wont win Wisconsin. The Republican thug who doubles as a governor in the state is about to be recalled for his radical policies Willard has embraced.

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM

We’ve got too many trolls around here to be putting an old hand in moderation.

Nom de Boom on April 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Trolling is not, by definition, people who express views which conflict with the conservative consensus.

libfreeordie on April 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

This Indy is looking for a strong clothespin ….. :D

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM

swinia sutki on April 4, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I understand what your saying … I have serious reservations about Mitt as well ..
however at this point he is the best we got …
other IMHO better candidates were unable to stay the course
because of either/or : lack of money …. lack of traction … lack of “fire in the belly” … MSM killing their background … for many reasons …
we have these four to pick from to face Obama …. and it is gonna be Mitt…
I dont like it … but it is what it is ….
this nation’s future is too important … I have buried too many friends
to see it go the way Barry wants it to go …. will Mitt do any better ?? Maybe ..
he sure as heck can’t do worse ….

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Funny you would forget to mention that. Must have slipped your mind.

Flora Duh on April 4, 2012 at 12:11 AMI

Um, it came from MassResistance. Which is where Stoic Patriot admitted gets his “info” on Mitt Romney. Sorry you missed that obvious point.

Buy Danish on April 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM

liberal4life on April 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM

There’s some awesome irony right there. Yep, the Governor is a thug. Not the unions. Hilarious.

Buy Danish on April 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Ah yes, some “clean sweep” – Maryland which has become another Massachusetts and is a blue and corrupt as they get. Another state Romney will never win. And DC where Santorum was not allowed to be on the ballot but Jon Huntsman, who isn’t even in the race anymore, was. Some handicap tilt for Romney, but hey, he did win by the same margin in DC as democrat, Marion Barry, who was re-elected. Just shows how impotent the DC republican party is. A conservative woman commentator nailed it last night. Romney is not cracking 50% with his current political party. We’re toast if he becomes the nominee!

mozalf on April 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Tonight was a good night for conservatives in this country,

Can we just enjoy it, and say “On to the next fight”!

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Mitt Romney is a self-described Progressive that is Pro-Choice, believes in man-made Global Warming and someone that wants to use the power of the Federal Government to nudge people into certain behaviors. He’s also the author of state run Healthcare that was used for OBAMACARE template.

All of this is out there in his own words, go to youtube and type any of it.

Other than the fact that the rank-and-file gop voters are fine with nominating another Dole/McCain redux it’s a great night for Conservatives.

I hope we still have a country left to try and save in 2016.

Gates of Hell media/White House re-election firestorm to open up on Mitt in 5…..4…..3…..

PappyD61 on April 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM

‘This Race is Far From Over’

Pork-Chop on April 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM

We’ve got no chance come November. No way Romney beats Obama. Maybe if they pick West as VP, that might help. Other than that I can’t see anything other than a victory for O. I just hope America can survive another 4 years of Obama. Our best hope is to get control of the senate and just restrict the amount of damage he can do.

steve123 on April 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM

‘This Race is Far From Over’

Pork-Chop on April 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Mormontheman on April 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Ick! Ick! Ick! Are you trying to make me stay home in November?

Fallon on April 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

What is even more disturbing is the total lack of enthusiasm or joy in any of the Rmoney “wins”. Instead there are a lot of insults and vitriol aimed at Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum contrary to their claims that Obama is Rmoney’s target. They do pretty well against their fellow republicans using their Alinsky tactics but we’ll see if they can out democrat the democrats. That’s why his speeches sound so hollow to me now. If Romney does buy the nomination, I’ll resent the fact that we’ll be stuck with a John Kerry in this election, probably the same hair dresser, manicurist/pedicurist/, masseuse, tanning salon, pomposity and we’ll be denied any excitement and enthusiasm for our candidate in what should have been an exciting, victorious, and decisive turning point for the republican party all around.

mozalf on April 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

A note to Hot Gas Mitt-haters…..go out and read some non-political news website comments when the article is about something Obama has said or done. It will amaze you at the thirst for ANYONE BUT OBAMA out there. People are pissed off and they will vote in the millions to get rid of Obama. I have friends that aren’t even political, some that never even voted and they are making plans to vote OBAMA OUT !!! This SCOTUS attack and the fact that Obama has proven to not even understand the US Constitution is eye-opening for many. President Willard “Mitt” Romney Jan 20. 2012 – Ricky, stop the insanity, get out while you still have a reputation in the GOP…..NOW……

BabysCatz on April 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Newt has been inconsequential for months.. which leaves me to believe he’s playing the stalking horse for Romney and looking for a cabinet position in return. I find it amusing that nobody calls for Newt or Paul to drop out, yet howls for the second place guy to drop out come daily.. which also seem to bolster this theory.

Bottom line on Romney for me is, I don’t trust him. *shrug*

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Buy Danish on April 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM

You are correct. I didn’t read all of the comments before I made mine. The gilled one who is blue had passed those calls off in the past as being from the Santorum camp so I remembered the disclaimer.

My apologies.

Flora Duh on April 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think they have enough delegates to make an impact so they are hoping if they ignore them they will go away. From what I understand Newt is trying to have input on the Platform, which probably wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Tonight was a good night for conservatives in this country,

Can we just enjoy it, and say “On to the next fight”!

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Umm.. yeah, I can see that.

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Fallon on April 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I have never understood the Republican tactic of pandering to the moderates or the Gov. Romney supporters who insist not only taking on the mantle of superiority but insult needed voters. Someone truly “superior” would be smarter.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Bottom line on Romney for me is, I don’t trust him. *shrug*

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

me either … but if he is the nominee .. I will vote for him ….

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Tonight was a good night for conservatives in this country,

Can we just enjoy it, and say “On to the next fight”!

ccrosby on April 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

To clarify so that I don’t lose you again..
I’m agreeing with your self assessment stating that you have a problem with ridiculous comments.

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

BabysCatz on April 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

That’s a rather presumptuous, ignorant and haughty statement… Do you really think people who like political discussions live in a bubble? And, who hates Mitt? I dislike him as a candidate because of all the uncertainty surrounding his views and politics, and have no feelings whatsoever towards him as a person. I think I’d like having lunch with his wife but I’d much rather have a different candidate to vote for this fall. The insulting lectures by Mitt-lovers will do more harm to his candidacy than you will ever know.

Fallon on April 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

me either … but if he is the nominee .. I will vote for him ….

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Reluctantly agreed.

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Someone truly “superior” would be smarter.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I agree. I am open to the possibility that some of the people insulting the base are Organizing for America’s best mobys assigned to HA. Not all, but some.

Fallon on April 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Fallon on April 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

No some of them are long term azzes. I’ve decided I’m not going to hold his HotAir supporters against Gov. Romney. Still don’t like the Dole/McCain/Romney election strategy but I’m hoping to be proven wrong.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

There is only one thing that matters at this point —putting Obama and as many Democrats as possible out of work.

claudius on April 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

What a bunch of absolute, utter baloney. Cindy, you are a total phony, and I’m not afraid to say it. The truth is that for months the HotAir comment section has been almost entirely “bash Romney” with countless attacks on anyone who dares to point out that Romney has a much better chance of defeating Obama than would candidates like Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum. Romney supporters are called all kinds of vile, obscene names and are insulted in the most personal terms by these handfuls of weird, rabid haters, who usually don’t seem all that bright.

This small but vocal group of HotAir commenters likes to claim the mantle of “true conservatism” as a way to differentiate themselves from others, but the only way a lot of them stand out on this site is through their childish, dumb insults. The same goes for some of these Palin worshipers, who insist that only Sarah Palin (who isn’t running and who, while a patriotic lady right in many of her criticisms of Obama, could never win a general election campaign, anyway) can save us all. All these sad cases can do, in many cases, is just repeat the same lines from their favorite talk show hosts like Mark Levin.

I’m sick of phony, sanctimonious little commenters like you telling supporters of particular candidates to mind their manners and to keep their mouths muzzled, while at the same time you quietly snicker as the thumb-sucking crybaby supporters of the losing candidates hurl vile, sexist and other personal insults at anyone who has the gall to post a comment complimentary of our soon-to-be nominee.

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Wow. They say laughter is the best medicine. This is comedy gold.

Fallon on April 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

“So?”

#War

Flora Duh on April 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

; ) Bread ball ?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Far easier to support him, than to defend him. isn’t it?

Don L on April 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

; ) Bread ball ?

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

corn meal and lard …
unless you want to use it for bait …

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I don’t bash Gov. Romney, I question his supporters and what they obviously consider persuasive tactics. And this just in, an anonymous commenter on a blog having the bravery to call another anonymous commenter on a blog a phony, hardly qualifies you as Genghis Khan.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

You and Angryed, danielvito, astonerii, gunlockbill, idesign, silverdeth, etc.

Big friggin’ whoop.

M240H on April 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Whoa there turbo. Don’t include me in that group of nut jobs.

Haven’t you heard, I am a “Mittbot”.

Gunlock Bill on April 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Flora Duh on April 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I know it’s not QOTD but somehow it seems fitting.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

M240H on April 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think you meant “buckshot bill”.

Gunlock Bill on April 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

You use too many adjectives to be considered a good writer. The overuse of adjectives makes your writing cluttered and overblown.

Were I your English teacher, I’d tell you to back off the Faulkner obsession and try again.

FAIL.

cane_loader on April 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

bluegill on April 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

blugill, i’m a mittbot but I do think you take this too personally.
This IS a conservative website.

Trying to convert diehard conservatives is not going to happen.

Most of them know that Romney is going to be the nominee.

They don’t like it but I’m sure most of them will do their duty and vote for him against the hated Obama.

4 years ago I held my nose and voted for McCain.

I think Mitts a better candidate and has a better chance but he conservatives have their right to be dissapointed.

gerry-mittbot-moderate

gerrym51 on April 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

gerrym51 on April 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

All excellent points, many of us have found both of the last two elections sadly wanting in the area of candidates. It’s not personal against any of them. I am sure Gov. Romney will make a fine president and he will have my vote to give him the chance.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

corn meal and lard …
unless you want to use it for bait …

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

LOL! ; )

Oh and OT.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Glad its an open thread. Don’t need to see you moved to moderation. ; )

Oh and just to be extra safe, OT.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM