Open thread: Wisconsin, Maryland, D.C.; Update: Romney wins MD, DC; Update: Romney wins WI

posted at 7:45 pm on April 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Fully 98 delegates are at stake and Romney’s probably going to win nearly all of them. The polls in Washington and Maryland close at 8 p.m. ET, but don’t worry about that. It’s a foregone conclusion that Romney will win both and, maybe, crack 50 percent in doing so. (PPP’s Maryland poll from a few days ago had him ahead of Santorum 52/27.) Wisconsin, where the polls close at 9 p.m. ET, is shakier but that looks like a Romney win too. At last check, PPP had it 43/36, which is right in line with where most of the polls of the state have been over the past month. Santorum’s overperformed his polling before on election night so there’s a slim, slim chance for one last “Not Romney” hurrah, but this is where Mitt likely starts to wrap things up. Says RCP political guru Sean Trende:

What about Tuesday night? Here we are beginning to see signs of movement. The Maryland polling suggests that Romney should receive about 56 percent of the three-way vote, while [my demographic] model suggested 49 percent would be more in line with other states.

Similarly, Wisconsin should be a close race — akin to Ohio — with Romney receiving 43 percent of the vote. For a while, it appeared that Santorum would be exceeding expectations there. But Romney now leads by about eight points, with polls suggesting he should receive around 49 percent of the three-way vote. Again, this suggests an over-performance of about six-seven points.

If this happens, taken together with Illinois and Maryland, we might conclude that Romney really has managed to break out of his demographic rut, at least in the Midwest and Northeast. This is significant, given the large cache of delegates at stake in those regions (though many of these states have already voted).

In other words, the usual rules of the race — Romney wins urbanites, Santorum wins evangelicals, etc — seem to have relaxed a bit as Republicans slowly reconcile themselves to a Romney nomination. Tonight’s results could be further evidence of that. Santorum still leads by six points in his home state of Pennsylvania but I’ll be curious to see how those polls shift if Mitt cleans up today, and especially if he does better with rural voters than expected. Romney already has four paid staffers working PA and will send lots more tomorrow in hopes of finishing off Santorum there on April 24. If Santorum’s lead is already down to mid-single-digits, what’ll it be after Romney hits the trail there and starts spending ad dollars and gets the positive buzz of a trifecta in WI, MD, and DC tonight?

Here’s the Google Elections page for results, although I’ve found that CNN’s vote totals are a few minutes faster. Updates are coming below, so stand by.

Update: Bad tidings for Team Sweater Vest from the early Wisconsin exit polls: Evangelical turnout is slightly down from 2008 and more than 80 percent of voters expect Romney to be the nominee. But what about Santorum’s withering attacks on RomneyCare and ObamaCare? Quote:

Though Rick Santorum tried to make the case in Wisconsin that Mitt Romney’s record on health care “uniquely disqualified” him to take on Mr. Obama on the issue, Republican primary voters are closely divided in whom they trust more to handle the issue. Almost a third trust Mr. Romney more to handle health care policy; almost as many have more confidence in Mr. Santorum’s abilities in this field.

That may reflect Mr. Romney’s particular situation when it comes to the federal health care law that came under intense scrutiny at the Supreme Court last week.

According to the WSJ, Romney’s also beating Santorum 51/38 among voters who decided in just the last few days. A quote to ponder from a Wisconsin voter while we wait for more: “I very much hope that he gets the nomination and we get this thing settled soon. These guys are kind of tearing each other apart in the process. I think it’s a circular firing squad at this point.”

Update: Annnnnnnnd here’s how the Wisconsin Democrats spent their day.

Update: To no one’s surprise, Maryland and Washington are called promptly for Romney at 8 p.m. Stand by for exit polls.

Update: Here’s the Maryland exit poll. As Trende guessed, we’re seeing some demographic surprises. Santorum’s supposed to be the blue-collar candidate, and yet:

He’s also supposed to be the conservative candidate, and yet:

This is the one that’ll get attention tomorrow, though, assuming that these numbers hold (exit poll data will be adjusted throughout the evening):

Per the exits, Romney’s right on the cusp of 50 percent in the state.

Update: We’ve got nearly an hour until Wisconsin results and then probably an hour after that before the state is called, so chew on this important and worrisome poll data from Rasmussen in the meantime. Dude, I’m nervous:

A majority of Wisconsin voters now support the effort to recall Republican Governor Scott Walker.

A new Rasmussen Reports statewide survey shows that, if the recall election was held today, 52% of Likely Voters would vote to recall Governor Walker and remove him from office. Forty-seven percent (47%) would vote against the recall and let him continue to serve as governor.

Update: And that’s that: Fox News calls Wisconsin for Romney. Here’s the exit poll. Santorum did manage to win very-low-income voters and evangelicals (narrowly) this time, but Romney won conservatives and strong tea-party supporters. The end is near for Team Sweater Vest. And from what I’m hearing on Twitter, he may be close to acknowledging it: Apparently he referenced Reagan’s 1976 campaign, in which he finished second to Gerald Ford, in his concession speech. Is he shifting focus to 2016 now?

Update: Nope, turns out I’m wrong. Patrick Ishmael e-mails to say that Santorum’s been using the Reagan ’76 line for a few weeks at least.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

Oh and just to be extra safe, OT.

Bmore on April 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

LOL! Better safe than sorry!

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Wow! I’m reading over on Ace that Republican turnout in the Wisconsin primary was DOUBLE the turnout in 2008!! Is that true!? If so, Wisconsin is DEFINITELY in play in 2012, and Barack is in a lot more trouble than even I had imagined. That is one ENERGIZED electorate.

Rational Thought on April 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

corn meal and lard …
unless you want to use it for bait …

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

oops OT ….

conservative tarheel on April 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Rational Thought on April 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I would think that it is a good sign for Gov. Walker also.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

nootch on April 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think they have enough delegates to make an impact so they are hoping if they ignore them they will go away. From what I understand Newt is trying to have input on the Platform, which probably wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Excellent Cindy…Newt is our attack dog, and he will be good to have covering Mitten’s back…

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I think he understands the public to Congress dynamic also. I actually think he would make a good Chief of Staff but I am sure that’s a bridge too far for Gov. Romney.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

What a thread, Lanceman was accused of being a Moby, and a democrap, a longtime blogger was put in moderation, and Cindy was accused of being a phoney…holy cow, Im glad I woke up and read the rest of the thread at 4am this morning…(of course I went back to bed) but oh my…what a thread!

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I know I may have to have an incredibly strong set of nose plugs to vote in the November elections, but even though the DC primary was rigged and we (all 12 of us) only got the options to vote for Rmoney, Jon Huntsman and Newt Gingrich and not Rick Santorum, I went ahead and voted for Newt and damn, it sure felt good not to vote for Rmoney. And the icing on that cake was that the DC republican party rep candidate that was the most vocal Rmoney supporter lost her bid. So I can at least be excited and passionate now because if it’s Rmoney and Obama in the fall, God help us!

mozalf on April 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

While I’ve heard so much about these TruCon perfect candidates out there so deserving of the nomination can someone actually name any?
How about a short list of 3?
After Rubio and Ryan endorsed Mitt they were also labeled RINO’s so who are these True Conservatives? Any actual politicians among them?
And if endorsing Mitt deems one a RINO the same can be said about someone who endorses Freddie Mac so SP doesn’t fit the bill.
Anyone?

Buttercup on April 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Anyone?

Buttercup on April 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Freddie Mac, the mortgage institution, was endorsed as some kind of candidate?

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Anyone?

Buttercup on April 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Beuller ? Bueller ?

Will the Gov. from the state of Conservatopia please come forward.

FlaMurph on April 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Freddie Mac, the mortgage institution, was endorsed as some kind of candidate?

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I’m sorry did I write Freddie Mac? I meant Newt Gingrich.
Freudian slip.

Buttercup on April 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

lovingmyUSA on April 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Waking up at 4 am to go through an entire thread is probably an indicator you need to take a break from here once in awhile.

Bradky on April 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2012 at 4:43

Now that I clarified that for you maybe you can work on that short list.
You’ve been more than vocal regarding how undeserving is of the nomination and how reluctant you will be to vote for him surely you can come up with even one name who has “earned” your vote.

Buttercup on April 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM

oops now I left out “Mitt”. Must be another freudian slip.

Buttercup on April 5, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Buttercup on April 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM

You are wasting your time reasoning with the “HA Offended Worrywarts Association” The only deserving person in their minds is Palin.

Next meeting tonight at sw corner of study hall

Bradky on April 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Buttercup on April 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM

You misunderstand my remarks. As I have said numerous times, all the candidates have much to recommend them and all of them have liabilities. My complaints are mostly with the non-persuasive tactics used. I doubt the average person runs across a candidate that they totally believe in more than one in a life time. It shouldn’t be personal but somehow it is. I don’t have a list of perfect candidates, I am sorry Gov. Daniels choose not to run and I see some strong possibilities for the future. I am sure Gov. Romney will be a fine president, he will have my vote. If that isn’t enough for you, sorry.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Bradky on April 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Based solely on the composition of your comments, I must assume that high school was a terribly traumatic time in your life since you constantly compare and contrast people and groups with that era. I am sorry for you but at least you must take comfort in the knowledge you aren’t alone. Those can be trying times for many in that age level. I would suggest you move on but I am sure it is easier said than done. Anyway, congratulations for moving beyond your singular focus of threads about Gov. Palin. Good job!

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You are trying too hard Peggy. 24/7

woof!

Bradky on April 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

In an act of good faith, to demonstrate how we will come together and support Rmoney, I am posting # 820. I also wanted to see what y’all thought looked best. Let me know.

Rmoney™ or Rmoney© or Rmoney® What do you think, which way has the better aesthetic?

Bmore on April 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM