Obama: ‘My entire career has been a testimony to American exceptionalism’

posted at 11:45 am on April 3, 2012 by Morgen Richmond

Boy, has it! To be fair, I don’t think the President actually meant this as it comes across, but with the media tittering yesterday over Ann Romney’s comment about unleashing the uh…real Mitt, turnabout is fair play. Plus, is there any doubt that the One really believes this, regardless of what he intended to say?

It’s worth noting that I first arrived on the national stage with a speech at the Democratic convention that was entirely about American exceptionalism, and that my entire career has been a testimony to American exceptionalism.

Funny how a guy who is all about the collective, ‘we’re all in this together’, when it comes to the role of government, suddenly becomes a rugged individualist when asked about American exceptionalism. I mean, he’s lobbed a softball to talk about the greatness of America in an election year, and his thoughts instinctively turn to…his own career? And a 15 minute speech focused mostly on himself, the text of which includes over 50 uses of the words ‘I’ or ‘my’?

If there is any ‘limiting principle’ to the scope of the President’s ego, I think it’s yet to have been demonstrated. But there is certainly no denying he is exceptional.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

President Barack Hussein Obama — one exceptionally large and odoriferous mass of putrid steaming fecal matter. Yep. He should be in the Guinness book alright.

FlatFoot on April 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

America truly is a great country where everyone can make their dreams come true.

where else can an inept moron with no experience be elected president and destroy a whole country?

Pcoop on April 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yep. He should be in the Guinness book Ripley’s Believe It or Not! alright.

More apt.

hawkeye54 on April 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Obama is talking about American exceptionalism? Wow! If you guys will permit me, I would like to share what I happened to post this morning on this very subject in another context:

Listen, and I am especially speaking to the Left here: It is true that America has not always been a perfect country, but it is a far better one than any of which I can think. Unlike the First Lady of the United States, I have always been proud of America….and I didn’t become a citizen until 2002. Yes, the blight of slavery, Jim Crow, Wilson’s atrocious civil rights abuses, FDR’s interment of more than 100,000 Japanese-, Italian-, and German-Americans, Manifest Destiny, etc., prove that the United States is not perfect. Unlike European countries, however, it has never claimed to be. Today, after the horrors of the Holocaust, Europeans are increasingly anti-Semitic. You see, many Europeans blame Jews for the Holocaust. Seriously. They would prefer a Jew-free Europe…not only because they are anti-Semitic, but because they would not have to stare into the faces of the descendants of the people that their ancestors slaughtered. If America was like Europe, it would be seeking to send African-Americans back to Africa, not trying to be a melting pot.

You might not believe in American Exceptionalism, but America is exceptional. America saved our Yorkshire Puddings…twice…and Frogs should take a look at the old film reels of the baby-faced American soldiers marching down the Avenue des Champs-Élysée, as I just happened to be very early this morning, and remember that they would be singing “Die Fahne Hoch” instead “Le Marseillaise,” but for the United States. Furthermore, countries like Norway (I know. The truth hurts.) really should clean up their own acts before they start criticising the United States.

If you are interested in reading the piece (it’s on the Trayvon Martin case) from which this came, you can find my commentary following the article here:

I am pleased that Mr Obama has finally acknowledged America’s exceptionalism. I’m sorry that, as usual, he only makes it about himself though.

Resist We Much on April 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

More apt.

hawkeye54 on April 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Fair point… but why couldn’t it be both?

FlatFoot on April 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I do have to agree with him to some extent:

How can a possibly foriegn-born guy with questionable parentage get into Columbia and Harvard, become editor of a law review but never write anything of substance, hide his grades from everyone, never hold a real job, have his political career launched by felonious revolutionaries, sit in a radical church for years but not espouse those beliefs and accomplish nothing during the short tenure of the previous elected offices he’s held scam the voting public into electing his dumb ass President of the United States?

“American Exceptionalism – you bet!”

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on April 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Fair point… but why couldn’t it be both?

You are right. It could.

hawkeye54 on April 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Anti-American Exceptionalism – you bet!”

Better.

hawkeye54 on April 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I’m sick of you. The sound of your voice makes me want to drink a bottle of bourbon in an effort to purge the memory from my brain.

Yakko77 on April 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM

want a drinking partner?

chai on April 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“Anti-American Exceptionalism – you bet!”
Better.

hawkeye54 on April 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

You got me there, Hawk. I bow to your keen powers of observation!

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on April 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Obama: ‘My entire career has been a journey to bring the American Empire to its knees.’

ITguy on April 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Boy, if I ever just wanted to kick somebody as hard a can in the ‘nads…

Arrogant jerk (off).

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on April 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Resist We Much on April 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I agree with every single word of this brilliant post, but I wish you had skipped the link and not referenced the case.

My experience has been that many Americans have it so good, they actually take for granted all the blessings we have – free speech, capitalism, an all-inclusive education, government with the separation of powers – and disdainfully eschew American exceptionalism. You’d be surprised how many Americans don’t really understand the current conversation over the role of government, where government expansion leads, and how that will affect them in the future and future generations of Americans.

In short, they believe they can have socialism, yet have American remain and great, prosperous, and free as they’ve always known it.

The Bringer on April 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Yakko77 on April 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM

want a drinking partner?

chai on April 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Heck, I already started. Tornado sirens goin’ off all over the place. A half mile funnel cloud heading this way…maybe a little east.

cozmo on April 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

He will forever be linked in history to another remarkable leader….Nero!

Deano1952 on April 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

A blind squirrel may find the occasional nut, but Obama will never find the moral character to lead.

Immolate on April 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

He will forever be linked in history to another remarkable leader….Nero!

Deano1952 on April 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

At least Nero had a plan to rebuild Rome.

Finbar on April 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

If he’s so exceptional, why is he trying to make America into the greatest mediocore country in the world?
Defund NASA
Turn over the Space Station to the Russians
Cut Defense
Give away secrets to adversaries
Bow to EVERYONE
Turn all control over to the UN?

askwhatif on April 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Thank you. That’s my blog. I don’t have any advertising on it so I’m not peddling it. I wrote the commentary early this morning and was struck when I saw that Obama had spoken on American Exceptionalism since I addressed it in my post. As I said, I was proud of America before I became an American. I didn’t have to wait until my husband became the nominee for President or become President myself.

The Martin-Zimmerman case is an all-around tragedy. If you read what I wrote about it, I think that you’ll agree that my position is much more measured, judicious, and thoughtful than the ruling class. In fact, it is a condemnation of them and neither Trayvon Martin nor George Zimmerman.

:-)

Resist We Much on April 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky Alinsky

tom daschle concerned on April 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Obama’s 2012 campaign theme song: Me Me Me Me Me!

profitsbeard on April 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Comment…
BANNED!

KOOLAID2 on April 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Resist We Much on April 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Oh, My!

tom daschle concerned on April 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

tom daschle concerned on April 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

From the mouths of babes…

Resist We Much on April 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

His entire “career” is a testament to AFFIRMATIVE ACTION and the dumbing down of America by the mainstream media…

mountainaires on April 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Obama: “my entire career has been a testimony to American exceptionalism.”

Haw!

jaime on April 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Obama: ‘My entire career has been a testimony to American exceptionalism’

Yeah – That’s what community organizers are all about.

Dasher on April 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Idiocracy here we come…..

dentarthurdent on April 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM

And still … the gullible mindless moronic leftisproglibturd dumbmasses hang on his every word and believe every lie and half-truth that spews from his sanctimonious hypocritical mouth.

stukinIL4now on April 4, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Well…he is!

He’s a testimony to how exceptionally inept McLame was to not beat him like a rented mule.

He’s a testimony to how exceptionally stupid Americans were to vote an over-promoted minstrel to the highest office in the land.

He’s a testimony to how exceptionally useless the GOP is when the best opponents they can come up with after 4 weary years of his bungling are a socialist theocrat freak and a two-faced waffler.

MelonCollie on April 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

His entire career has been a testimony to American exceptionalism?

He has had a career? Alert the media.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on April 9, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Jingoist.

All nations are equal.

mudskipper on April 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Congratulations, you just took the Stupidest Poster Award away from brainfreeforlife.

MelonCollie on July 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM