“Fair to say Palin has been used sparingly on ‘Today’”

posted at 11:05 am on April 3, 2012 by Tina Korbe

As planned, Sarah Palin made her debut today as a member of “the lamestream media” — and, boy, was that phrase ever repeated by both SP and Matt Lauer throughout the morning! She first joined Lauer in the 7 a.m. hour for a brief interview to discuss the GOP presidential race. The Sarah Palin who verbally jousted with Mr. Lauer wasn’t the same relaxed Sarah Palin who appears regularly on “Hannity.” Her antagonism toward the MSM was evident — and, at least once, articulated — in the interview.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

She displayed notable message discipline, though. Despite Lauer’s repeated attempts to express disappointment in Romney, Palin cleaved to the essential thing: Any of the GOP contenders would be better than Obama.

In the 8 a.m. hour, she joined Lauer and Ann Curry as an actual co-host of the show. She first appeared reading a newspaper, with a stack of newspapers behind her — a cheeky way to confirm that her appearance on NBC’s “Today” was intended to be a direct challenge to Katie Couric, who is guest-hosting ABC’s “Good Morning America” this week.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

For the rest of the hour, she appeared in a variety of segments, chatting it up with the other co-hosts and guests like … Tori Spelling, who asked SP pointblank whether she plans to have more children. The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy live-blogged the show and captured several of Palin’s wittiest one-liners. (My favorite came at the end, when Al Roker mentioned hibachi cooking. “Let’s put some moose and caribou on the grill!” Palin quipped.) By the end of the show, she seemed far more at ease and Lauer seemed a little less patronizing.

Still, as Speakeasy noted, it’s “fair to say that Palin has been used sparingly on ‘Today.’” When the TV ratings come out this evening, we’ll see whether Palin earned bragging rights. Given that both “Matt Lauer” and “Sarah Palin” were trending topics on Twitter this morning, I bet she did, but, either way, she did more for “Today” than “Today” did for her. She no doubt inspired her considerable following to flip to NBC this morning, while NBC did little to give Palin a true platform. She was given the opportunity to make only a few minor remarks and had to fit her opinions to a relatively substance-less show. If NBC wants to see what she could really do, they should give her her own hour.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

400 comments..:)

Palin Rocking 30 Rock!

Sweet..:)

idesign on April 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I had hoped that she bought the house in Arizona in order to establish residency and run for the open Senate seat, but I guess that’s not going to happen.

RUReady2RNR on April 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Take the time to really watch and remember.

Bmore on April 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Not nice to make me cry this early in the day….what might have been…and what is to come!!!

lovingmyUSA on April 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

unseen on April 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Considering that Anderson only won 6.6% of the popular vote and Carter won a mere 41%, I doubt that Anderson was a relevant factor since Reagan won with 50.7 percent of the popular vote, and the highest number of electoral votes ever won by a nonincumbent presidential candidate.

In that election, Carter won it for Ronald without any doubt.

DannoJyd on April 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Check out Geety images, Palin looks amazing..:)

idesign on April 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’m called an Obamabot on a daily basis for writing in Palin in November. When did I call Romney supporters Nazis? The Nazis supported animal right’s legislation. Romney obviously doesn’t.

Buckshot Bill on April 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

You are called an Obamabot on a daily basis? Those elitist socialist Mittbot Mittler Youth Mittfilth Mittwit snobs! How dare they!

Gelsomina on April 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

If she decided to run instead of not run she would be battling today for the nomination against Mitt. which pretty much refuts your arguement.

unseen on April 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Sarah could still run as a Constitution Party Candidate:

CONSTITUTION PARTY – Former Nixon Administration official and one-time Conservative Coalition chair Howard Phillips founded the US Taxpayers Party (USTP) in 1992

DannoJyd on April 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Next week she’s cohosting with Kelly Ripa…

monalisa on April 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Gelsomina on April 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

You are much too angry. Your blood sugar must be getting low, go eat a P&J sandwich or something. It’ll calm you down.

Buckshot Bill on April 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Gelsomina on April 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

You left out Liberal and Sketchy. :o))

DannoJyd on April 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Go RBNY on April 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM,
Wrong Answer Romneybot. Palin becomes President. Mitt Romney joins Bob Dole.

CoolChange80 on April 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

But would you watch if they were talking about SPIDERS and SHARKS?

What if Neil Cavuto was naked on the show?

SparkPlug on April 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Spiders and sharks-YES.
As cute as Cavuto is…well I’m already married to a cute, chubby, dark-haired, conservative guy who wears glasses…and I’ll leave it at that. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

She will never hold another office. Ever.

Moesart on April 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Hey! Did you realize we have someone who can predict the future right here? Could you tell me the winning lottery numbers please?

You must be so wealthy and have everything you want in life with that gift, but here you are sharing it with respect to Palin.

How truly blessed we are!

But let me try this future predicting thingie: Palin has done more for conservatism today than you will in your lifetime.

You be careful. Pretty soon you’ll be challenging KeninCT for the esteemed title of Hot Gas Village Idiot.

kim roy on April 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

lovingmyUSA on April 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

YOU SUMMED IT UP PERFECTLY.

ToddPA on April 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

kim roy on April 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I kissed my little baby granddaughter on top of her head while sitting on my lap watching Palin on TV this morning and told her, if you’re really lucky, that lady will be your president some day. It was a beautiful moment.

Fallon on April 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

kim roy on April 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Right On, Moesart is an Idiot Supreme. Romneybots know their man is DOA come November, but Palin is alive and well.

CoolChange80 on April 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Just a bit more fuel.

Bmore on April 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM

‘Doing’ Today is not what serious politicians do.
If it had been Perry or Jindal co-hosting, I’d feel the same way.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So clearly Ronald Reagan was not a serious politician since he appeared on not one but two Dean Martin roasts right before he ran for President in the mid 70′s.

Once having Jonathan Winters in drag and the other with Don Rickles doing his shtick. All while drinking. The seriousness of it all.

KMav on April 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM

If it had been Perry or Jindal co-hosting, I’d feel the same way.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You really wouldn’t. I’ve seen how you react whenever you get to see Jindal onscreen. You’d be all over him.

alwaysfiredup on April 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Gelsomina on April 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

It’s just a medley of favorite quotes, but your reaction shows how angry it sounds.

Gelsomina on April 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I watched the Today Show this morning, and I thought Sarah Palin did a great job. I don’t understand why people get so worked up about her doing this, it’s one morning of her life, there doesn’t have to be some deep meaning to it. I can see where Bristol gets her enthusiasm to try whatever comes her way. I think it’s great to have a conservative in the public eye as often as possible. I bet the little chat with Tori Spelling changed Tori’s attitude toward Sarah, and that’s how we have to do it, one person at a time.

Night Owl on April 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM

alwaysfiredup on April 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I like the guy-but I don’t do personality cults. I don’t gush.
Jindal is a politician. Perry is a Politician. Palin was a politican.
I’d much rather watch a documentary on the Crusades or watch Shark Week then ANY politician.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hmmmm…interesting. That would be interesting if they gave it ago, though I’d still be hesitant to support them with my viewership regardless who they have on there.

As for some of the comments here, assuming they come from Conservatives, I thought we were about embracing free enterprise and gloried in other people’s financial success?

At any rate, good for Governor Palin.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Romney will be the nominee. I’m not happy about it, but there it is. I’ll vote for him just to get rid of Obama. (If he’s smart, he’ll tap Palin for a cabinet position, Energy Sec for starters)

But I’ll crawl through broken glass for Palin when she runs.

Dave in San Diego on April 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Dave in San Diego on April 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Palin for the FCC post- with special attention to NPR ! –

Now that would drive the propagandist lefties absolutely bat shiite !!

FlaMurph on April 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Night Owl on April 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Spot on.

As Louie L’Amour said “In order to overcome bigotry, sexism, racism or hatred – you need to have just one positive individual experience.”

Odie1941 on April 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Good grief but she’s an attractive woman.

John the Libertarian on April 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I’m enjoying that Katie Couric, the biggest nothing burger of a news anchor….EVER….is co-hosting with George Steponallofus, hoping, I must suppose, that she can move back to her own slot that Palin should do so bad.

I thought she did great and I’ll allow I’m very prejudiced, but I’d watch Sarah Palin hosting any day over cutie Katie.

patfish on April 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Check out Geety images, Palin looks amazing..:)

idesign on April 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Palin looks better than Christie Brinkley who apparently by the
looks of her had a lot of work done.

Amjean on April 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

In that election, Carter won it for Ronald without any doubt.

DannoJyd on April 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Take a look at the results:

Margin of victory less than 5%

Michigan, 6.49%
Missouri, 6.81%
Pennsylvania, 7.11%
Illinois, 7.93%
Connecticut, 9.64%
Oregon, 9.66%

anderson’s 6% national vote was enough for Reagan to pull out some of the close states like MA and NY as the Rino’s voted for Anderson.

unseen on April 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Sad and desperate.

nottakingsides on April 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM

…but I’m sure that the check they wrote her spared no zeros . . .you go girl!

Sarah is awesome!

Matt ‘the snake’ Lauer tried to steal her thunder but came out looking like the little twerp that he really is!

Pragmatic on April 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Sad and desperate.

nottakingsides on April 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM

You know its funny that you should say that. I was just noticing how many of the normal Palin bashers have had to swear off this thread. It must be extremely painful for them. Funny though! Palin 2016!

Bmore on April 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I love how all the < 115 IQ people love her.

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM

“Fair to say Palin has been used sparingly on ‘Today’”

Tina, you don’t have an inferiority complex or anything, do you?

bw222 on April 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I love how all the < 115 IQ people love her.

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM

So you absolutely adore her then. Funny!

Bmore on April 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Actually, I don’t mind her. But she’s usually and obviously (to me) spouting generalized platitudes than showing a deep understanding or ability to think on her feet.

Usually, not always.

I supported her when she was announced and she gave great set piece speeches. After losing, instead of doing what Karl Rove — yes, Rove — and I, and a whole bunch of halfway bright people (Patterico, Ace, to name two you’d know of) thought she should do (I knew she wouldn’t, but should) was take some time away from the limelight, govern Alaska, and study — particularly foreign and military affairs and history.

Instead, Reality TV had its next star. Oh, and she quit.

Next.

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

*Actually, I don’t mind her. But she’s usually and obviously (to me) spouting generalized platitudes rather than showing a deep understanding or ability to think on her feet.

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Dont you have an incoherent 1904 page manifesto to publish before you extinguish this mortal coil out of the shame of your lifestyle?

You reprobates sure are queer.

tom daschle concerned on April 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Instead, Reality TV had its next star. Oh, and she quit.

Next.

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Boy did you ever come crawling out of the shallow end of the gene pool. So you really want to buttress you pathetically weak argument by citing such luminaries, or “halfway bright people” as Karl Rove and Ace. How nice they agree with you. Since you equate yourself with them, that would make you halfway bright as well. We call them “dim bulbs” where I come from.

Had Palin and the conservative movement not been sabotaged by such RINO idiots as Rove (and you by extension), we’d be fielding a better candidate against Obama this fall.

And if you call being driven out of office by a deluge of frivolous lawsuits “quitting”, then its obvious you’ve never been under the gun and had to face such decisions as bankrupting your family in order to maintain the Governorship.

No, I see you more as a whiny little twerp sitting in your mom’s basement spouting off how you and the great Karl Rove think alike.

Jerk. Get a life!

ariel on April 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Sorry, still quite funny, don’t think of it as me laughing at you. Think of it as me laughing with you.

Bmore on April 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Oh /.

Bmore on April 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

She’s STILL freakin’ hot…

RMCS_USN on April 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

To Tina Korbe- Here is a Message from some of my Compadres. You are an envious, jealous witch that is not very good at your job. It’s like you, Tina Korbe are an agent who infiltrated from the left in order to make the blog as inconsequential as possible. I would add that you are basically talentless hack unworthy of making a living as a blogger or writer of any kind.Since Tina Korbe has come to Hotgas this website has gone downhill.

CoolChange80 on April 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Someone needs to take a break from HotAir. And a breath.

I just don’t get the venom.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 4, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Palin’s interview on Hannity last night was one of her best, The lady is poised and confident.She relishes living rent free in the minds of the MSM, Dems and the GOP elite. The woman connects with people in positive ways….even Lauer had to admit it. She is a happy warrior for cons3ervative and constitutional ideals. It’s a shame she is so underappreciated by those who need her talents the most.
The woman has a long and bright future ahead of her. BTW, she’s right about not needing a title. With social medis, she reaches more people than the NYTs or the WSJ.

RWRFAN on April 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Some India Delta Ten Tango declared he is a customer of Hot Air, which supposedly gives him the right to [OWS -> police car] Tina Korbe. It is very India Delta Ten Tango India Charlie to call yourself a “customer of Hot Air” since you are not paying Hot Air for the privilege to read Hot Air. None of us commenters and readers of Hot Air are customers. We’re all the product that Hot Air is selling to its real customers. Who are Hot Air’s customers? Just looking at this screen, I can name MicroSoft, Mercedes Benz, and Maxwell House. Those are Hot Air’s customers! And we are Hot Air’s products! The readers and the commenters are the product and not the customer.

And for the record, I very much like a lot of what Tina Korbe has to say. Those who attack Tina absolutely disgust me, period. In many ways, she’s better than Allahpundit. She’s definitely different in her Conservatism than any of the other authors. And she’s quite talented.

Reading these attacks on Tina reminds me very much about how 500 pound men in their Lay-Z-Boys declare they could do better quarterbacking an NFL team than that particular quarterback (whoever it happens to be). To those numbnuts, I say Prove it!

John Hitchcock on April 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM