Quotes of the day

posted at 10:50 pm on April 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Mitt Romney’s advisers and top supporters have begun informally discussing potential vice presidential candidates and believe that the sooner he can put away the Republican nomination, the more flexibility he will have in picking his running mate…

“[T]he habitually cautious candidate is less likely to try to make a splash by picking a game-changing candidate and more likely to choose someone safe, whom he sees as competent and ready to be president.

“The conventional thinking has been that after a long and divisive primary campaign, the challenge of uniting the GOP would force Romney to pick a running mate with strong appeal to tea party activists and evangelicals. But Romney’s team thinks he may be liberated from that pressure if he can finish off remaining rivals Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul in the next few weeks…

“His advisers said they do not believe geography will play all that important a role, and that he seems unlikely to choose someone to court a single state or constituency. He does not, so far, appear to have discussed the need to pick a minority or a woman, for example, to appeal to certain kinds of voters.”

***

“‘Liberated’ from having to choose a candidate who appeals to evangelicals and the Tea Party? It’s the kind of formulation that would only be used by someone who sees those groups as liabilities, not assets.

“It is not likely to sit well with Tea Party supporters. ‘Brilliant, I always thought Romney needed to moderate his image,’ deadpans one aide to a conservative senator.

“Does it truly reflect the thinking of ‘Romney’s team?’

“Top Romney strategist Eric Fehrnstrom says, forcefully, it does not. ‘I have no idea where this uninformed speculation comes from, but it’s not accurate.’ The campaign, he adds, is focused ‘on securing the nomination, not on making a ticket.’”

***

“Although it’s axiomatic that Hispanics are the fastest-growing demographic group in this country, there is, of course, no bloc Latino vote anymore than Hispanics themselves are monolithic. But loose talk about building moats (stocked with alligators, no less) along the nation’s southern border, enforcing laws designed for ethnic profiling, and “self-deportation” — this last (inane) formulation is Romney’s own — has created a crying need for the Republican nominee to send a signal to 40 million Americans that they are not going to be marginalized by the Party of Lincoln.

“But this need is also an opportunity for Mitt Romney: He can be the first nominee of a major political party to choose a Hispanic running mate.

“So then the question becomes: Who should it be?

“Four qualified candidates are apparently under some kind of consideration — or, if not, should be. They are three governors and one U.S. senator: Govs. Luis Fortuño of Puerto Rico, Brian Sandoval of Nevada and Susana Martinez of New Mexico. The senator is Marco Rubio of Florida.”

***

“The first reason for [Paul] Ryan to be on Romney’s ticket is that the Ryan Budget will be a major issue in the campaign regardless of who Romney’s running mate is. Who better to defend it — clearly and strongly — and attack Obama’s reckless, feckless spending than its author? Ryan, as The Almanac of American Politics says, is ‘…regarded as an intellectual leader in the GOP for his unrivaled influence on fiscal matters.’ And he uses that influence courageously, taking on the whole budget mess from taxes to the Medicare entitlement program in a way that is both fiscally responsible and reasonable…

“The second big reason for Ryan to be the choice is that he’s more than up to the task. If you listened to Paul Ryan three or four years ago, his intelligence and command of the issues were clear but he was less so. The man used to talk as if he were reading a spreadsheet. In the succeeding years, as House Budget Chairman, he’s become used to the national spotlight and seems comfortable speaking in terms people use at their kitchen table. He’s likeable, young (at 42, only two years older than Rubio), and will be good at the convention and on the stump. He can speak to younger voters in terms they’ll identify with: this is your money Obama is spending, folks, and if you elect us we’ll make sure you can keep it and enjoy a better life than your parents have had.

“The third big reason is that Ryan can compensate for Romney’s weakness on Obamacare.”

***

“The vice presidential pick can bring on board a good campaigner, a substantive voice, or some skills and experience where the nominee falls short. This very modest upside potential can be quickly and effortlessly offset by a choice that becomes a distraction. Distractions are the result of the unexpected, and the unexpected occurs when candidates have been poorly vetted. (You know who I mean.)…

“Introducing a brand new face in the midst of a high-profile campaign is risky business at best. For all their strengths, Geraldine Ferraro and Dan Quayle were perceived by voters as being less experienced than both their running mates and counterparts across the aisle. In the end, that fact had minimal effect upon the outcome, but litigating the issue in the heat of battle made it tougher to control the message of their campaigns.

“So let us embrace the obvious: The winning choice is the dull choice — a running mate the public already knows, warts and all. Mondale, Bush, Gore, Cheney, Biden. These were not picks that lit the world on fire. They were serious, experienced names, vetted by the harsh media glare of a previous run for president or service in the president’s cabinet. They weren’t from key states, and weren’t part of some grand plan to balance ideology. But they all won.”

***

***

***

“While pundits, politicians and prognosticators have tapped Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as one of the most likely GOP vice presidential picks, conservative commentator Ann Coulter warned today that such a choice would be a ‘mistake.’

“‘I think that would be a mistake because the same people who loved Rubio loved [former presidential candidate and Texas Gov.] Rick Perry,’ Coulter told me Sunday during the ‘This Week’ roundtable discussion. ‘I want someone who’s been a bit more tested.’”

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Bill O’Reilley is a popinjay.

Romney/West 2012 because America won’t survive another 4 years of Chairman One-bama.

NickDeringer on April 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM

What will replace Obamaturism of the day when Romney becomes president?

An important question that has yet to be asked.

cozmo on April 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I don’t know why Coulter considers herself such an expert on this GOP race. Her opinion about it is no more valuable to me than Meghan McCain’s is.

scalleywag on April 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

For those that don’t know….
45s required that cheesy adapter for the spindle.

Electrongod on April 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Unless you had your own juke box.

cozmo on April 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Coulter is an idiot. Do you hear me Coulter!! Probably not…idiots seem to flourish in today’s political climate.

So there’s me: a brilliant conservative. Then there’s Ann: a brilliant dunce with a massive Adam’s apple.

DHChron on April 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Mr Vanilla isn’t going to pick a strong conservative to excite the base? Sure why would he want to better his odds in the general.

Mitt Romney vs the Cult of Personality. The stupid party’s consensus is, he shouldn’t pick anyone for VP that would help him in the General.

The amount of stupid overflowing from the establishment republican chattering class is unprecedented.

Dr Evil on April 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Bill O’Reilly once sucked my cocksmere but it was an Irish thing. I hear it’s normal after 30 Guinnesses.

It wasn’t that bad.

DHChron on April 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM

DHChron on April 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I like your analysis :-)

Ann Coulter is also an opportunist. I like some of what she says and writes, but she shows why it’s dangerous to get too engrossed or lemming-like with a single columnist/celebrity. They get so caught up in their own celebrity status and then try to become king makers. From now on, I will definitely take whatever she says or writes at face value and with a grain of salt.

mozalf on April 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM

scalleywag on April 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Coulter picked Romney from the get-go: he’s on the right side of ObamaCare and illegal immigration. Those two issues are existential threats to our way of life. If they aren’t addressed in this cycle, they could fiscally break us.

DHChron on April 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Why the animosity? With what do you disagree?

Save the ad hominem stuff for the Kos.

Rubio (though I like him) isn’t ready — the press with shred him like they did Palin because they will feel threatened. I don’t think Romney will think outside the box on this. Ryan will be harder to attack. Picking a minority will seem like pandering.

the_souse on April 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

the_souse on April 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

it’s not ad hominem, it’s a joke :)

When Ann goes all in for the Rom master, I question her conservative credentials. I also question that massive adam’s apple.

DHChron on April 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Adam’s apples are for manly men Ann!

“we’re men….we’re men in tights, tight tights!”

DHChron on April 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

scalleywag on April 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Coulter picked Romney from the get-go

She didn’t pick anyone from the get-go. She was given(by the establihment) the task (a women)of taking out the uncontrollable Sarah Palin to make room for the RINO Obamacare sperm donor. He had already been decided upon in some brie-filled back room, before all this primary debate stuff began.

All the Sarah back-stabbers marched out on cue, and did their Brutus thing (scaring Sarah off) and then these orchestrated endorsments design to trap the idiot voters….typical elitist games.

If Romney wins it will only be because the messiah has cracked up and exposed his dictatorial soul(damn the congress, the court, the constitution, and America itself), now scaring even the socialists….

Don L on April 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

When Mrs. Coulter first publically endorsed Gov. Romney she had to twist and defy reality to put forth her defense of Romneycare, and her behavior in that regard was very odd and a bit out of character for her. After watching Coulter last night on O’R's show I now see where she is coming from when she is talking about VP’s and why Sen. Rubio would not be a good pick, unless we use him merely as a racial tool to pull in more Hispanics –an idea I am firmly and unequivocally against in principle. Even Sen. Rubio is against becoming VP for several rational reasons.

I understand she wants a more seasoned Cheney-like VP pick to handle the automatic onslaught and gnashing of teeth by the MSM in its standard behavior for protecting the Democrat running for office. And while I like Gov. Christie’s fire and passion, I think he will be more effective remaining as governor of NJ than the almost do-nothing job as VP. (Don’t believe me about the near uselessness of the VP, read John Adams’ opinion on the matter.) The VP pick does need to be tough, conservative, and immunized against MSM scrutiny since the latter will try in vain to keep the focus away from the nominee and on the VP nominee.

I think that Gov. Romney will pick a good VP to run with. We Republicans will have a good team and we will win in November. The country depends on us to do so.

Weebork on April 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I feel so ripped off in this primary and I’m disappointed in Ryan and Rubio. I want to be excited and enthusiastic about our candidate in this election. However, this casual attitude that Obama is so bad and the republican candidate (Romney?) is so flawed and weak but will beat Obama anyway so we have to be 100% behind him no matter what. I’m just not feeling the love or confidence here with Romney at all. I mean, is this really the best we can do and I don’t think it will matter who the VP is because we’ve been down this road before with very bad results. Yes, a conservative VP will make a very positive contrast with Obama as Sarah Palin did in ’08, but if Romney’s arrogance overcomes commone sense as expected and he picks another moderate, they’ll wash out against the democrat ticket.

mozalf on April 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM

This is the first time I’ve heard of Gov. Luis Fortuño being in the mix. I’m still not big on identity politics but that choice is interesting. Isn’t he another one of those leaders who really needs to stay put to maximize the good works being done in the states?

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM

What will replace Obamaturism of the day when Romney becomes president?

An important question that has yet to be asked.

cozmo on April 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Obamaturism-lite of the day. The name Obama will live in infamy.

Gladtobehere on April 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Wow.
Just wow.
IMHO, Jindal is not ugly. Certainly not grotesquely so.
You can’t think of past presidents who were equally as unlikely to be on the cover of GQ?

itsnotaboutme on April 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Not in the age of television.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM

scalleywag on April 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Didn’t she used to be smarter than this? I mean maybe I’m just wistfully remembering the past; but I don’t recall her being this stupid in the past.

What Romney needs is a NE Liberal Republican Governor as his VP slot… doesn’t he already have one of those on the ticket (I think his name is Romney)? How would Christie help?

Rubio, Ryan, heck Ron Paul would be a better VP choice than Christie… he’d at least appeal to a different voter base (I’m trying to be polite here and not go into HOW different I think they are).

So when did Coulter lose enough intelligence not to realize step one of picking a VP is “don’t pick yourself”? Or am I wrong and she was never that clever?

gekkobear on April 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM