Nikki Haley: I wouldn’t accept the vice presidential nomination

posted at 11:50 am on April 2, 2012 by Tina Korbe

As CNN’s Candy Crowley writes today, it’s never too early for the political world to play veepstakes. So, join the game — but don’t bet on Nikki Haley.

In an ABC “Nightline” interview set to air tomorrow at 11:35 p.m. ET, the South Carolina governor said she would turn down the vice presidential nomination if the eventual GOP nominee were to offer it to her. Her strong statement against the VP nod might help to diffuse some of the suspicion aroused by her early endorsement of Mitt Romney. Perhaps she didn’t endorse him merely to position herself well in the Republican Party. Maybe she really did — and does — think he’d be the best person for the job of president. That’s certainly the tone she struck in the “Nightline” interview:

A Tea Party favorite endorsed by Sarah Palin during her gubernatorial race in 2010, Haley’s endorsement in the Republican primary was a highly coveted one. The South Carolina governor came out early for Mitt Romney, criss-crossing the state with him in the weeks before the state’s January primary.

Despite her stalwart campaigning on his behalf, Haley claims she has no interest in being his running mate. If offered the vice presidential slot, Haley said she would not take it.

“I’d say, ‘Thank you, but no,’” she said. “I made a promise to the people of this state. And I think that promise matters. And I intend to keep it.”

But the governor fell short of delivering a South Carolina win to Romney. Instead the GOP presidential candidate suffered a substantial defeat in the Palmetto state, falling 13 percentage points behind Newt Gingrich.

Haley brushed off Romney’s loss.

“South Carolinians are strong, independently-minded people,” Haley said. “At the end of the day, they make their own decisions. And I respect them for that. And I welcome that. And I told him that from the very beginning.”

Interestingly, Haley sounded more open to the possibility of a 2016 presidential run. She said it’s not something she can imagine right now — but it’s also not something she would rule out. “Life has surprised me constantly,” she explained.

But would the GOP be open to her? Haley’s seemingly premature endorsement of Romney was interpreted by some Tea Partiers as an almost-heretical enrollment in “the establishment,” but she remains an inspiring figure in the Republican Party nevertheless. A low approval rating in South Carolina notwithstanding, she boasts at least one significant gubernatorial success. Under her administration, employers have created 22,000 new jobs in South Carolina. She’s also still a conservative female politician in the Sarah Palin mold — tough, thick-skinned, still feminine. It’s hard to think the governorship of South Carolina is the last important office she’ll hold.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hm, Newt I guess, but he has severe self control issues. Santy isn’t much better than Romney, and I don’t like running Senators for President in the first place. Paul is just a nut, and probably anti-Semitic. Romney is a democrat pretending to be a republican, at least since 2006. I can’t support him; my conscience won’t let me.

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ha, I think I asked you a few days ago. I really want to know what people who think Romney is terrible, so terrible that Obama looks better as a result, what you think is the next move, since you can’t support the GOP nominee.

thebrokenrattle on April 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

There was nothing “premature” about it. She’s a businesswoman; Mitt is a businessman. They’re both fiscal conservatives with a successful private sector background. Neither Newt or Santorum can claim those bona fides.

Buy Danish on April 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Hah awesome Nikki – you would not accept the thing that you very well was never going to be offered. Thanks for clearing up that non-confusion!

InVinoVeritas on April 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

So you’re saying that she shouldn’t have answered the question she was asked? Interesting.

GOPRanknFile on April 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hayley adds nothing to Romney as is unqualified at this point to take over the Prez role in an emergency. She’d have been better off saying “I’m not qualified at this point and would not accept the role if offered. I was elected in SC to do a job and I will remain focused on that for the rest of my term.”

As to those who think an anti-Mitt vote for BHO makes sense…That will ensure Obamacare is embedded in our nation forever AND give liberals control of the Supreme Court for the next couple of decades. Aside from all the other damage 4 more years of Obama will do, once he is “more flexible” after the election…this is just self destructive behavior and childish self indulgence akin to “taking your ball home” because you don’t like losing. Stupid whiners should grow up and act like adults.

camaraderie on April 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

thebrokenrattle on April 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Personally, I just spend my time watching Romney supporters try to alienate conservatives. Then I look at the electoral map and try to see if there is a realistic path to victory for Romney.

The next move would seem to be focusing on the 2016 Presidential field and picking up the Senate this Nov and in 2014.

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

If I write in Palin, which variety of traitor am I?

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

you’re not a traitor-but you’re still voting for Obama.
Mitt/Somebody 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

To be fair, Bill, I wouldn’t factor these alleged Romney “supporters” into the equation. Many of them are mobies. If you allow them to dissuade you from voting for Romney, then their mission has been accomplished. Don’t let the mobies win.

GOPRanknFile on April 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Trust me, Romney is enough to dissuade me from voting for him. Moby dicks are irrelevant. :)

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

What’s with these guys who keep saying they’re not going to accept VP? Not that I would like this lady as VP, but if your country is going to hell like it is, don’t you feel some sort of obligation to serve? That is, unless you’re not that interested in saving the country, as I believe more and more, is the story with Nikki Haley.

TruLevinian on April 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

IMHO …
those that are Governors want to be in a position to protect their state …
some feel that they do not have the experience to do the job …
some feel that Mitt is going to fail and do not want to hook their wagon to
his star …. they will not say it publicly … but it is what it is …

conservative tarheel on April 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

-Oops, the censor got me :)-

Anyway, Romney is more than enough to dissuade me from voting for him in the general. Moby d!cks are irrelevant.

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Word around the Net is that Haley is about to be indicted for tax fraud.

I’m surprised HotAir hasn’t picked up on it. I’ve seen it on several blogs and the Daily Caller.

Dack Thrombosis on April 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Let me guess, Will Folks wrote the story???

She and/or her husband are not being indicted – asked and answered – and supported by IRS.

Odie1941 on April 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

TruLevinian on April 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

It is a lose lose lose proposition…
If they say they would accept, they lose a large amount of political capital in their home state politics without even knowing if they get to be the VP nominee.
If they do accept and the nominee loses the election, they lose a large amount of political capital nationwide.
If they do accept, and the nominee runs the country into the dirt like George W Bush did, they lose a large amount of political capital nationwide.

Basically, they all know that Romney is going to be the nominee, they all know that he is a progressive that will likely drive the nation into the dirt, so they are not going to latch their political lives any closer to him than they already have.

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Of the four left running for the nomination, are you supporting any of them or none at all?

thebrokenrattle on April 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

none at all …. I am writing in Sarah’s name on May 8th …..

conservative tarheel on April 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Plus they aren’t really looking forward to being thrown under the bus when Romney loses, and if he does manage to win, they won’t get any credit. I can’t see a conservative VP being allowed to take the nomination in 2020 anyway.

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

She was compensated for her endorsement, in the form of payment of campaign debt–as are most of Willard’s endorsements.

james23 on April 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Mitt has never been selected or graded highly in the fiscal conservative polls…Newt and Rick both have national experience with budgets, Mitt has none…Rick had received an A rating as a fiscal conservative, the highest ranking of any Senator during those 12 years.
Mitt had only 4 years experience with a local gov. budget.
Which is one of the reasons that Thomas Sowell is not impressed with Mitt…

right2bright on April 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Ha! Right2Bright is claiming Mitt has no “national experience” with budgets???!! He was a state governor, turned around the Olympics and ran Bain Consulting and Bain Capital, but yeah, he’s inexperienced in that regard.

Epic Fail.

Buy Danish on April 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Epic Fail.

Buy Danish on April 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

hmm I believe Mitt never met a state fee he could not raise … there is conservatism for you … there is your state budget ..

Olympics – yeah … got a massive fed bailout …
Bain – what has that got to do with a gov’t budget ???

speaking of fail ….

conservative tarheel on April 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Buy Danish on April 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

After getting an additional half a billion dollars in government money, beyond what the government typically pitches in for the Olympics, he was able to get the endeavor to make about $100M in profit. Yeah, that sounds very conservative. Use the government to underwrite private enterprise to the tune of 5 times the potential profit, then call it a success.

When running Bain, he bought control of a medical testing company. Under his watch the company began fraudulently charging medicare and medicaid for hundreds of millions of dollars. He was on the board and did not have a clue how the company was increasing sales, particularly of the most lucrative products they provided. Fortunately for him, he likely got tipped off to the federal investigation that began on the fraud and was able to sell it off to an unsuspecting third party and make them suffer the fines for his failure. You call that a success?

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

hmm I believe Mitt never met a state fee he could not raise OR CREATE FROM WHOLE CLOTH… there is conservatism for you … there is your state budget ..
conservative tarheel on April 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

A power assist :) he created many new fees.

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

yeah … on all counts …. I don’t think Mitt will win ….
but I understand your position … however I am going to vote
for him .. G_D forgive me ….. but I have to hope that
we can force Mitt right …. however I believe deep inside me
that if he wins … a republican controlled congress will give
him everything he wants … and in the process destroy
the republican party ….
sigh
buy more ammo and food and first aid stuff …
and barter items ….

conservative tarheel on April 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Epic Fail.

Buy Danish on April 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

State budgets are not the same as federal budgets, anymore than federal or state is the same as private…yeah they all have numbers, and to an uninformed they would look the same.
I never said he didn’t have private experience, but running a company is not the same as running a bureaucracy.
Otherwise, Perot, Forbes, Rockefeller, etc would have all been president…
So you name me the national government budget Mitt has managed? Has passed bills, has made recommendations?

The fact is, he has run for two national offices, and has failed to win either one…
But—–he was good at using federal money to bail out the Olympics, and to sponsor RomneyCare, so he is used to using and consuming federal dollars.

right2bright on April 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Selling short term assets for long term debt and receiving a huge quick consulting fee, is not a way that we want the government to run, and that is his legacy.
Which, again, is why a brilliant economist like Thomas Sowell, much more knowledgeable about any of these things, is not impressed with Mitt’s economic policies.
I think I would take Sowell over some poster named buydanish…just sayin…

right2bright on April 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

right2bright on April 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I agree with you and Sowell. I never liked Romney’s version of capitalism.

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You are talking about selling out a political party, Honda is talking about conservative principles. Different thing, really.

Buckshot Bill on April 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Showing your conservative principles by voting for Obama is like showing your Christian principles by becoming a Muslim.

Gelsomina on April 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I think I would take Sowell over some poster named buydanish…just sayin…

right2bright on April 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Amen brother, Mitt is just Obama-lite.

JeffVader on April 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Gelsomina on April 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

It is more like your church has a choice to make. There is a Muslim who proclaims he is a Muslim and does things like a Muslim. Then there is a guy who attends your church occasionally, proclaims he is Christian like you while using Muslim verses to back up that argument and does things Muslims do. Your community as a whole has a choice as to who to make the community spokesperson and those are your two choices. As a Christian, do you let the Muslim pretending to be a Christian speak for your community and having all his Muslim choices falsely tarnish your Church, or do you let the known Muslim speak for the community and let the Muslim church rightly take all the blame?

astonerii on April 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Sarah would never be Mitt’s b****.

Just thought I’d mention that in case people needed clarification.

KirknBurker on April 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Amen brother, Mitt is just Obama-lite.

JeffVader on April 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Mitt is…

the…

Orderly Retreat

KirknBurker on April 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I dislike the way they try to build VP candidates, floating their name and pulling fast polls until they get one who sticks

The last group they care about is the base., The first theng they care about is getting past the base to their own objectives

In the process the names floated lose luster and credibility. No one can be certain if the names floated were being used., or were part of a deal to wrap up the base so the base can be ignored for the rest of the election

entagor on April 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM