Hot Air Homestretch Survey Final Results

posted at 2:00 pm on March 31, 2012 by Patrick Ishmael

It’s both the highest percentage of the vote and the largest margin between first and second place we’ve had to date. Mitt Romney again takes the Hot Air Survey, this time with 61% of the vote. He’s followed by Rick Santorum with 20%, Newt Gingrich with 14%, and Ron Paul with 4%. I think it is fair to say that at this point, Republicans are pivoting to the general election. Over 2000 votes were cast.

Romney is beginning to win the most votes among the 2008 candidate constituencies. Interestingly, Gingrich wins among self-proclaimed Palin voters, and Santorum wins among Huckabee voters.

No surprises in the preferred vice president category.

Questions or looking for a specific cross tab? You can find me here. Typically these surveys have been done twice a month, and events on the ground could be such that in two weeks that this race could be over, making further Hot Gas surveys utterly extraneous. (Yes, commenters, please tell me how extraneous and pointless these are/were. Please.)

If that’s the case, let me take the opportunity to say that this was a lot of fun, and it was a pleasure working with everyone to get this experiment off the ground. Had a blast!

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

BoxHead1 on March 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I don’t care if he runs naked with a unicorn and fat flamin’ rat on a stick. He ain’t as bad as 0bama.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

There should be one more vote for Romney in the HotAir vote totals.

I wasn’t able to load up the online ballot, but if I had been able to, you can be sure that I would have voted for Mitt Romney, the man who will defeat Barack Obama and become an outstanding, consequential president at a time when the country needs his leadership.

GO MITT!! Finally a nominee we can be proud of and not have to constantly make apologies for.

I like the sound of Mitt Romney, 45th President of the United States.

bluegill on March 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Look, it’s too nice a pre-summer-kiln, blue-sky day, to holler at you.

But I want you to remember, if Romney wins, that you owe it to this site…. to Allah and Ed…. to disclose your affiliation with Gov. Romney.

Ever since the second “open registration” here, you have been a shilling, spamming, steamroller for Gov. Romney, as has the candidate himself, for whom I will probably end up voting.

Your constant presence and political hucksterism here for months on end bespeak either a professional contract to be here at Hot Air, or an admirable personal fixation.

Should he end up being the winner, and your affiliation woith this site pertain top the former, you deserve a grudging respect from us at large at Hot Air, for your sheer, bloody-minded tenacity in blowing your hot-air balloons of cant. You are a political professional, with a bright long-term future.

Should he win, and your dogged affiliation proves to be without higher allegiance, and instead your own personal obssession alone, you deserve a certitudinous respect for picking the winner.

Yet, on a truer level, you deserve definite disrespect for shilling for the winner with a conspicuous, even for the Internet, lack of intellectual honesty, helping promote a falsely, “Astroturf”-ed positive view of Mitt Romney from the time you joined, and throwing unfairly corrosive ad hominems against the other GOP candidates, the whole way along.

I beleive that you have insidiouslyand incrementally skewed the overall political vector of the Hot Air political website, by dishonestly bumping up the signal-to-noise ratio of Hot Air in favor of Gov. Romney. This skewed and twisting of this website has occurred for months, since you joined.

SO, again, congratulations, should Gov. Romney win.

But it would be a classy thing to do, as a magnaminous victor, to reveal the motivation behind the unusual tenacity of your hagiographic political commentaries in favor of the governor, and the source of your unrelenting, hyperbolic bile cast at the other candidates, especially the senator.

Please take – “revealing yourself” – under consideration, should Gov. Romney become President Romney, and we are all bored in the post-election let-down.

Or even better, Tweet your address to Spike Lee should 0bama pull it off.

cane_loader on March 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Golf clap

cane_loader on March 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Dang, you put some work into that.

I still don’t think she’s worth the effort though.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

The more I look at the electoral map, the harder it becomes to find a path for victory for Mittens. Even if I give him Virginia and North Carolina and Ohio, Florida and Colorado, and I assume he holds Missouri and Montana, he still loses when Obama holds the rest of his ’08 states.

Seriously, unless I’m missing something in the count, Romney doesn’t have a realistic path to victory. Unless you can make a strong case that he’ll pick up PA and/or WI. He needs a blue state to flip for him, and there aren’t any to flip.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM

It will be pretty cool to see who Mitt chooses as a running mate.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

svs22422 on March 31, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Thanks. If Obama wins in November, what wil be the reason then? Even if you don’t like the GOP establishment, the one time you need to make your voice heard about how crappy the leadership is when we change our Party Leadership , not the Presidency itself.

Right fighting spirit, wrong battle to do it in.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Rusty, I understand that, but I hoped that my post made that clear: I too am reasonably familiar with Romneycare, and I am in no way a fan of it, but it was passed by the people of Massachusetts, and as I said before, you get whats you pay/vote for.

If I don’t like the mandate in Mass, I have the option to leave MA and move across the border to NH or VT, or even back to that DMZ called NYC (meh). But another 4 Years of Obama and if it gets rammed through, I can’t afford to leave the country, and dodging the Federal IRS is a hell of a lot harder than the Staties.

Or I can act like an illegal alien and claim “no mas!” if asked why i didn’t sign up for it… :o)

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Then hitch his sorry azz to the back of a Volt and drag BOTH of them across the finish line.

Buckshot, do you really think if Obama gets a 2nd term, any of us will be alright? Like i said before to those that held their nose in 2008 (myself included), sometimes it’s just gotta be done.

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM

If I assume Romney picks up NV and CO, on the grounds of his mormon background and strength in Western state primaries, Obama only needs to hold Ohio or Virginia, and Romney still loses. And the demographics of Virginia are changing in ways not favorable to Republicans as it is.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Who’s talking about politics? This is about numbers. 270, specifically.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Golf clap

cane_loader on March 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Dang, you put some work into that.

I still don’t think she’s worth the effort though.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

…a sea lion clap from me!

KOOLAID2 on March 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’m not convinced that we’re better off 10 years from now with Romney than with Obama. Unless Romney governs in a way diametrically opposed to what he’s done previously, he’s likely to continue expansion of the state, except at a slower rate than Obama, fail, and be replaced with a Dem President and Congress. Then, the Dems will really get to work (a la 2006 and 2008); except this time, they will start from way down the statist road already. If Obama wins, we may be in more short term trouble as Obama pushes harder down the statist path than Romney, but the Republicans will be more likely to fight him than they will with Romney. They will go along to get along with Romney, like the Republicans did 2000-06.

Romney could be the conservative manchurian candidate that all of his wischcasting supporters are hoping for, but I’m not convinced. These same people were called ObamaCons in 2008, thinking that Obama was a conservative. Didn’t work out well.

besser tot als rot on March 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I wonder if having Pawlenty on the ticket could pick up Minnesota? Probably not.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

besser tot als rot on March 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM

They HOPE Romney doesn’t CHANGE back into a democrat. :)

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM

The demographics are especially bad for Romney. He will need massive turnout of the conservative southern vote in VA to win VA (i.e., to offset the metrosexual vote for Obama). He has done nothing to motivate these people to vote for him, merely expecting their turnout and vote. Good luck with that.

besser tot als rot on March 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

give credit to hotgas folks seeing the light…coalesce behind Romney with Rubio as veep…we will take the White House back

like I said, Woody and Newt Horndog to to get out of the race…2 jerks acting like sore losers

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Do you think that the difference between RomneyCare and ObamaCare is more of a function of the relative scope of influence wielded by Romney and Obama, or an actual function of differences in policy preferences at the time of implementation of each by Romney and Obama?

besser tot als rot on March 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Capitulation. A clear demonstration of what a weak and pathetic group of candidates look like. No bragging rights for being the default in a weak field. Sad and in such an easy year to win against the WORST EVER! President in a lifetime. For all you party folk, is the R party really the party you have pride in being a kin to? Sad commentary if it is.

Bmore on March 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I say we still have time not to accept this outcome , there is time for a strong conservative party to emerge, and just find the strongest ,candidate and let him/her take the whole establishment and the liberals by surprise and move forward to win this election, this is America we still have pride in our values and we should not settle for what the elites are offering us.
It’s never too late for a campaign that will invigorate the base, a person that we can be exited and can not wait for Nov. to go to the polls and vote for.
I suggest Allan West

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

…2 jerks acting like sore losers

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

And another screaming jerk being a sore winner.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM

And another screaming jerk being a sore winner.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I am smarter and better than you are

I love myself

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

A: no there isn’t. Its over. It will be “over” over after Tuesday when Romney takes all three primaries and Santorum walks away without a single delegate.

B: there is no “Conservative” party in the US. That is the UK and Canada you are thinking of. The US has the Republican party. The main differentiation between the Republican party and the Democrat party is the role of government in people’s lives.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

dang, I am the best like Michael Jordan

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Anyone who believes there is “still time” for anything other than the candidate we have now is living in a fantasy world or is a Democrat simply attempting to sow discord among Republicans.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

don’t expect Woody to go out quietly…the muffin top jerk will stick around with the Pennsylvania primary…after Mitt crushes Woody, then the jerk will drop out

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And by god, your doing your level best to keep that difference as minimal as possible.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM

tell that to Groucho Marx Levin and his idiot listeners

“let it play out…”

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM

As a fairly long-time reader of Hot Air, I’ve been reflecting on the conduct of some of the more abusive Romney supporters. Some thoughts:

1) Many of those whose names we all know by now first appeared during the two open registrations. They don’t appear to be particularly invested in the ongoing conversation about broad conservatism, preferring to agitate against Romney’s opponents and for Romney himself.

2) Quite a few of these commenters chose first names as their personae. I’m not sure what to make of that, but it’s a strange commonality.

3) It was interesting to watch the coordination of fire on whichever Romney rival was up in the polls at the moment.

4) The comments were often repetitive, sometimes to the point of constituting spam. Not sure why that is tolerated.

5) For months, the comments have been incredibly abusive. Granted, the Palin Wars were pretty nasty, but again, not sure why that is tolerated.

6) This is certainly speculative, but I suspect we acquired a fairly large LDS contingent during the recent open registrations. There has been frequent, unfounded insistence on anti-Mormon bigotry as an explanation for Romney’s failure to secure the nomination. That seems like a sensitivity unique to LDS, particularly since it was directed against evangelicals (whom I suspect LDS see as rivals for most-favored-religion status in the GOP). That sensitivity, coupled with the spamming and abusiveness all remind me of online discussion forum conduct exhibited by LDS supporters of Jimmer Fredette during the 2011 NCAA tournament.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

BoxHead1 on March 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

In the general-
Not me. If Mitt retreats from his pledge to repeal ObamaCare(If the Scotus lets stand) then I would feel like a b**ch voting for him. I’m not the “take one for the team” type of guy.

BoxHead1 on March 31, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Horse Hockey.

bluealice on March 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Horse Hockey.

bluealice on March 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Thanks. Are you LDS?

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I concur on most of this, especially the final point. I’ve never understood why there is so much “anyone who doesn’t like Romney is an anti-mormon bigot” commenting going on now. There was some of this in ’08, as well iirc, but its worse now than then. Every ABR that I know, thinks of him as a democrat/liberal/Rino. If the LDS people didn’t keep talking about it, I wouldn’t even know he was a mormon.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM

This is so scary that you categorize us in just 2 groups: either I am living in fantasy land or I am a dem. it is so sad that your logic doesn’t expand to include a larger group of voters that are simply not happy with Mitt being the nominee , just read through all the threads that are about this election most of the voters that will vote for him are doing it reluctantly, just b/c their fear of Obama’s 2nd term is greater than their distrust of Romney’s many positions he had taken over the years.
I appreciate that you did not use the excuse most of his supporters use ,”You are a bigot , ,b/c he is LSD that is why you’r not voting for him”

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at many times

They don’t let you out of your cage to play on the interwebs very often, do they.

The people at 0bama central are so cruel to animals.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It reminds me of the way anyone opposing Obama was a racist, actually. I’m sure it’s historic in the minds of many LDS, particularly those who remember the way they were basically driven out of the country. And that’s not even getting into the way Utah was under threat of invasion because of polygamy. It’s a dramatic turn-around, somewhat comparable to the way black people felt about Obama’s candidacy in light of slavery.

It’s a biased position to take, but I can understand it.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Sorry I ment LDS

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Cut out number four (they are all wacky, but in different ways), and tone down six. Then you are onto something.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Granted, there are some annoying Romney supporters, or at least some that occasionally express themselves in an annoying fashion, but if your idea is that there aren’t just as many in the Santorum camp or that they aren’t just as abrasive, insulting, persistent and prolific, you need to run it through the spin cycle again, because it’s all wet.

HTL on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

If Romney don’t treat me well, I’ll drop some Visine in his grits in 2014.
/hehe

cane_loader on March 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM

; )

Bmore on March 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM

tell that to Groucho Marx Levin and his idiot listeners

“let it play out…”

nparga23 on March 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM

It has played out. There was room for such talk before the Illinois primary. That put an end to it. I have asked several of the ABR crowd to please explain to me how they believe it is possible for Romney not to take the required 1144. Please show me which states Romney will lose to make that happen. Not a single one has been able to show how it is possible. At this point Romney is solidly ahead in all of the remaining “winner take all” states. Adding those delegate totals to his current total leaves him needing only 24% of the delegates in the remaining states to clinch outright. There is no way for him not to take 24%.

It just isn’t possible. The anti-Romneys fall into three categories:

The anti-Mormon bigots. These are often distinguished by their own projection. The ones who assume that Romney supporters are LDS or that some large number of LDS commenters make up the majority of Romney supporters are basically just projecting their own religious bigotry onto other people. In other words, THEY cast their support according to THEIR religion so they just assume everyone else does to.

The second category are the Democrat Mobys who aren’t conservative at all and aren’t even Republicans. They come in places like this pretending to be Republicans with the intention of making positions such as “If Romney’s the candidate, I’m not voting for the top spot on the ticket” seem more popular than it really is in hopes of giving others who might hold that position some validation making it easier for them to rationalize actually doing such a thing this fall, basically giving Obama an extra vote by doing so. They are actually campaigning for Obama by pretending to campaign against Romney. Another thing these people do is pop in here to give people validation that there might be some possible way Romney won’t get the 1144 delegates.

The third category are the ones who are basically psychotic in the sense that they can’t tell the difference between reality and their own fantasies. They seem to think they if they just believe really, really hard, they can manifest their desired reality. It is sort of like being in a football game with two minutes left and behind by 42 points and continuing to behave as if it is somehow possible to score 7 touchdowns in two minutes.

The Republican primary race is over. Romney has won. Yes, the clock is still ticking, but at this point there is no possible way that I can see using basic arithmetic for the outcome to change. The only thing that might change is the exact date he crosses that finish line. But at this point he’s 10 laps ahead and the white flag is flying.

Continuing the anti-Romney discussion serves only to distract attention away from Obama and fuel infighting among Republicans. It serves no constructive purpose at this point. The time for that sort of discussion has passed.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

HTL on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

No, I wasn’t making any comment on Santorum supporters. I’m sure I could analyze some of their commentary as well, but I do have to say that to me the level of abusiveness from the Romney camp here has been the most prominent.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:15 PM

HTL on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

There are some in both the not Romney camps. Not as many and not as “over the cliff” though. Certainly none of them as as memorable. Those that come close are more anti-Romney than pro-any candidate.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

See, this is what I mean. For many Romney supporters, there is no allowance for a good-faith argument against Romney. It’s black/white, good/evil, and has been for months now.

Are you LDS, crosspatch?

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

You wasted a lot of writing on an 0bama plant.

If you want to make those points, don’t quote a guy who has no interest in reading them.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

The Republican primary race is over. Romney has won.
crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

obama said he won once too. how did that turn out?

renalin on March 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

How would you tone it down?

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM

And how enthusiastic are the RonMe supporters? Are they excited enough to get involved at the grass roots level?

DannoJyd on March 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

You wasted a lot of writing on an 0bama plant.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Precisely.

GOPRanknFile on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

And, mostly wishcasting on your part.

There are lots of us who will cast a vote for Romney in November. But not before.

I don’t give a crap about his religion, I have never voted for a democrat for president and I don’t think I’m psychotic.

You left no other option.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

No Nom de Boom, I am Episcopal. But I live out West now. I grew up in the East so I do understand a lot of the anti-Mormon hysteria and whispers. I heard it all growing up.

Romney actually did worse among LDS voters in places like Nevada this cycle than he did last cycle. The notion that LDS voters are some sort of religious robots is just nuts. There are Democrat Mormons (Harry Reid) and there are Republican Mormons. There are even libertarian Mormons. That this thought even comes to your mind tells more about how you think about your own voting then it tells about the people supporting Romney. You are actually letting slip a little bit about your own biases by assuming the same biases in other people. That is quite normal, by the way. People like to assume they are “average” and that everyone else thinks the same way and does the same things for the same motivations they have. So by looking at the assumptions a person makes about other people, you can often get a glimpse of how they are themselves.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

DannoJyd on March 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Imagine bluegill pecking excitedly on your kitchen window as you groggily struggle with the coffee maker…

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I grew up in MO. I’ve never heard anyone ever talk about Mormons, good or bad. But on this site, in past week or so, I’ve read at least a dozen posts about how anti-Mormon MO is or was or whatever. And when Santy won MO there was a lot of that kind of talk. I just don’t see it in real life.

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I think you nailed it, especially your speculative #6.

Fallon on March 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Did anyone ever tell you, your evil? :)

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I wasn’t commenting on LDS voters. I was commenting on the more abusive Romney commenters here. Why are you expanding the scope of my analysis?

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I suggest Allan West

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I’m afraid its just wishful thinking at this point. Mind you I am certainly not happy that the R party has fallen to where we currently see it today. Unfortunately they have played it just about right. Put a moderate up against the more Conservative candidates, in this case not even all that Conservative and dice the votes and win the nom by default. The primary vote totals show Rmoney way behind in a two man race. With Dr. Paul having played the role of stalking horse and wing man to Rmoney, Santorum and Newt split the other votes. It works every time the establishment R’s try it with one or two exceptions. Rmoney is looking like the nom. He will if nominated be a one term President regardless of how he does. If he achieves what really needs to be done he will be hated by the very middle that supports him. If he doesn’t the base will not make the mistake of supporting him however tepidly again. 2016 remains the real prize. We will be ready by then. In the mean time it is important to take the Senate and keep the House. Local elections will mean more this time round then in prior years. But mark this down, just as I’ve said since 08 that Rmoney was a fore gone conclusion, 2016 will bring a challenger from the Conservative side to go up against him. The only way this will not happen is if he governs as a Conservative. Then the challenge will of course be from his left. Whether it comes from within the R party is all that remains to be seen. Just ask one of his supporters GHW Bush. IMHO. : )

Bmore on March 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM

And, mostly wishcasting on your part.

You left no other option.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

You would fall into the third category. The bitter dead-enders. You position is purely emotional with no basis in logic.

What would be the basis for the “not before”? There isn’t one. It is just based on “feeling” more than strategy. It’s your vote, you can do what you wish with it. But it would probably be wiser to do something useful with it than throw it away.

Getting Romney across the finish line sooner rather than later is better for the party, even if you don’t personally like it. I wasn’t a big fan of Romney’s either until it became obvious there was no other logical choice. I described Romney as a “Cucumber sandwich, country club, establishment Republican of the Biff and Buffy set” when he first announced. But then I started doing research. The more I dug into his background and what ACTUALLY went on when he was Governor, the more I found I started to like the guy. His rhetoric and actions in Massachusetts started looking a lot like the stuff Reagan was saying and doing in California.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

P.S. I enjoyed your LSD slip. Funny! ; )

Bmore on March 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

How would you tone it down?

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Not good:

Try this:

some of them make the claim of bigotry where none exists.”

If one is an anti-Mormon bigot, he is almost certainly more bigoted against blacks. And most of what the democrat party is working for nowdays.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Same experience here, growing up in the Bible Belt. It just wasn’t talked about. At all. Maybe it’s the Episcopals who have the problem with whispered hysteria…

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:34 PM

“some of them make the claim of bigotry where none exists.”

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Good correction. That was what I meant to say, but it didn’t quite come out right. Sensitivity to perceived anti-LDS bigotry would logically be an LDS-specific sensitivity, but not something necessarily shared by all, or even most LDS. It definitely wasn’t speculation on the motives of anyone beyond this site.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The strategic goal here is to defeat Obama. The sooner we can get everyone focused on Obama, the better. I listen to Levin, I read Levin. I think his notion that this constant criticism of Romney will somehow make him “stronger” is a load of horse malarkey.

It keeps Republicans divided and keeps the focus off Obama. It keeps donors on the sidelines by validating the notion that it “isn’t over yet”. Yes it is. It is quite over. It distracts Romney and Romney’s staff from focusing 100% on Obama in having to answer questions about the primary that are, fundamentally, meaningless.

In other words, it serves no constructive purpose for getting Obama out of the White House.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

That got a laugh, thanks.

Does this mean I can stop defending Romney from the Romney hatin’ nutballs? Since I am a bitter dead ender after all.

This hypothesis works better:

You are a Romney fluffin’ other candidate hatin’ nutball with delusions of grandeur, and an overstated fear of not getting your preferred candidate the worship you feel he deserves.

Otherwise known as cdseven syndrome and blue gills-itis.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:39 PM

So just over half the states have voted but we’re in the home stretch? In other words, my state’s late May primary — and my vote — don’t count for jack. I should just shut up and accept Mittens the Milquestoast and like it, right?

Everytime some Mittbot tries to declare this thing over with, I become less and less inclined to support him.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

And when Santy won MO…

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Do you mean the non-binding primary, the non-binding caucus, the upcoming second caucus, or the final, decisive chili cook-off (apologies to someone…that last joke is not mine, but I can’t for the life of me remember who said it first).

HTL on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Buckshot Bill on March 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM

BSBill, whether you were aware of it or not, MO’s governor in the 1840′s issued an order that Mormons were to be treated as an enemy to the state, and were to be driven out or exterminated. Kind of strikes me as anti-mormon. As for this election cycle, it is foolish and baseless smearing to imply that the only Republican voters who prefer another candidate to Romney are religious bigots. My dad, brother and sister, who are all LDS, support Santorum (in spite of my efforts to make them see how badly he’d be beaten in the general). So i know (and am in some ways sympathetic to) the reasons for not backing Romney, and many of them have nothing to do with his religion.

However, for every post on HotAir where an overzealous Romney supporter has cried bigotry, I can point out a post where some evangelical Christian has linked to a shady, poorly-produced attack video on YouTube accusing Mormons of cultish or bizarre behavior or beliefs. So it IS a reason for which some oppose him, even if it is not the only, or even most-prevalent reason.

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM

DannoJyd on March 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Many of us already are.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Um, 2/3 have already voted.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM

besser tot als rot on March 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Sorry i didn’t see this post sooner or i would have responded.

The base difference between the Nation and State level program (at first blush) to me is this: If i don’t like the mandate i can still exercise my right to not participate from either not paying into it, accepting the penalty or just moving away from Mass.

You don’t have that luxury if O-Care is in place for all 50-57 states.

The state Plan, was pushed peddled, bamboozled if you like, by the people of the Commonwealth…they followed their state constitution, they got the support, and Romney signed it…if he vetoed it, it still would passed.

Yes, he could have vetoed it anyway, and it would have been a Pyrrhic victory at best. But be that as it may it is what already happened.

Let Obama get in again for another 4 years. Do you honestly think that a Federally funded and *mandatory* coverage that you have no hope of escaping is any better?

Or in another way, do you think that this is the the worse that can be done? Think again: we can easily double down on giveaway programs that can even match this turkey…

- Fannie/Freddie Mac 3.0
- New Gov.t College tuition programs.
- Mandatory Car ownership, if approved. Public transportation if not.

Not saying that this can happen, but I don’t want to take a chance that these cards are in his vest pocket. Do you?

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Nice analysis. I do believe you struck some nerves.

If you guys don’t believe that Obama’s minions are going to hope on the Mormon angle and use it against Romney, if he gets the nomination, you have not been paying attention….not to the mention the rich as midas, out-of-touch white guy angle.

kingsjester on March 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM

That’s hop, not hope

kingsjester on March 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I suggest Allan West

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Agree. But not until 2016; I want him to build his base slowly get the numbers & dollars needed to build a national coalition. Not to mention, by staying in Congress, he’s a damn good counterbalance to the CBC and other xenophobic liberal groups in the Beltway.

He shouldn’t be the *only* one, but the only way to get more voices heard is to have a rally point somewhere.

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Washington Post: Alabama Gov.: Romney’s Mormon religion ‘a problem’ in GOP primary

CNN: “Anti-Mormonism bites Romney in South”

NYT: Romney and the Mormon Factor.

Boston College: Mormonism will affect Romney’s campaign, panelists say

It has been widely reported that the “evangelical” and “born again” Christian community will not vote for Romney simply based on his religion. Many have directly admitted as much. Romney does better among Catholics than Santorum does. Won Catholics in every single state except Tennessee. Where Romney has lost it has been due to a large “evangelical/born-again” community.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:56 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Thank you for using your knowledge to promote honest debate. It would have in fact happened with or without Romney, but he chose to involve himself in it, he believed in it. The mandate while unltimately loathed by conservatives, was at that time understood to be a conservative provisions, by Romney and many prominent conservatives who now distance themselves from it. And like I said, it’s a Mass thing, so others don’t have to deal with it. It serves for a conversation piece about how states can move forward, but for the Commonwealth, it’s what we have.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM

kingsjester on March 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM

That is assuming a bigot is less bigoted towards skin color and commie pinkos than a Mormon.

cozmo on March 31, 2012 at 7:58 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

If you carefully analyze the states remaining, the timing of the calendar, and the past distribution of delegates (even in the states that Romney has lost), you will see that it is virtually impossible for Romney to lose at this point. No one pointing that out (I ran the numbers myself about a month ago and came to this conclusion even before IL) is trying to sell you a bill of goods, or make you sad or mad. The media wants to downplay this fact because they make more money by maintaining the fiction that it is still a horserace, but in fact it’s over.

HTL on March 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

And this thread is a perfect example of what a distraction this is. We need to be talking about Obama, not about Romney, that phase of the campaign is over.

There will be no brokered convention and there is no other viable candidate at this point.

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:56 PM

You’re here enough to know that’s not true. Tell me whether or not I need to dig through the Hot Air archives to show you some polling data. Or you could do it yourself. Your call.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:01 PM

kingsjester on March 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Thanks. The response was entirely predictable.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:02 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i just barfed all over my screen after your obscene post.

we trusted Reagan. no one trusts mitt

renalin on March 31, 2012 at 8:03 PM

kingsjester on March 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Oh course they will, and we will use his failed presidency, record, deficit, high unemployment, obamacare, and man other things against him. Barack Obama has done more damage to the country than rneys religion or his dog on the roof. This admins entire game has been to make cutesy web videos poking at Romney. When is comes time to vote, what will be on people’s minds, the facts that has will still be 4 dollars a gallon and they don’t have jobs, or that Obama 2012 made a funny ad about Romney? This thing is about to turn.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM

crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I don’t remember Ronald Reagan changing positions on basic conservative values like abortion.

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I sincerely believe that Mitt Romney will be the best President we have had since Ronald Reagan. crosspatch on March 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i just barfed all over my screen after your obscene post. you are willfully deceitful. knowing its a lie, but wishing to promulgate it nonetheless in order to further your candidate. pathetic.

we trusted Reagan. no one trusts mitt

renalin on March 31, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Get ready for round two, because I agree with cross patch on Romney’s potential as POTUS.

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 5:38 PM

This 10th Amendment argument that Mittens supporters always fall back on is a cop out and attempt to obscure the real issue, which is that if Romney were the conservative that he and his supporters claim him to be, he would have fought Masscare with everything he had to the bitter end. He should have used his position as governor to try to persuade the people of Massachusetts that this boondoggle was going to deprive them of both their personal liberty and their hard earned money. That should, I believe, be the philosophy of anyone who calls him or herself conservative. Instead, Mittens conceded before he ever put up a fight and “compromised” instead. If the guy can’t have the courage of his supposed convictions when he’s up against a state legislature, how is he ever going to manage the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid and their ilk? You think that’s going to be easier? Scarier still, how is he going to stand up to despots like Putin and Kim and the Dinnerjacket?

The guy does not inspire confidence in me that he’ll govern like a conservative, mostly because he never has. Don’t get me wrong: If he gets the nomination, I’ll vote for him. But I’m not going to go knocking on doors on his behalf, and I’m not going to hold my breath that he’ll best Obama either because he hasn’t done much to differentiate himself, and seems unwilling to really take it to Obama like some of the other candidates have. He also has a stunning inability to connect with voters on a personal level and Obama — fake though it may be — has mastered that.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Bmore on March 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Good analysis, sad but true, thank you Bmore,

evergreenland on March 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So to be clear, you believe that a futile attempt to stop the people and their elected representatives in the Commonwealth would have made Romney a better Governor than doing his best to steer the inevitable legislation a little to the right? Good to know.

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM

YW, Rusty. I think for alot of people politcis is about “thier” candidate winning, consiquences be hanged.

Like i said, I didn’t campaign for Romney before, but its not so much about voting for him that against Obama.

Is it possible that Romney could be as bad or worse? Of course..but we *know* what Obama and his Administration has done…and nothing is worth a repeat of that.

It doesn’t matter who the nominee is, really, be it Romney, Santorium or Newt. Its who & what we the American Taxpaying Public need to vote against.

As stated before, If Ron Paul was the nominee and he flipped 180 degrees on his foreign policy crap (19th Century policy in a 21st Century world) I would even support him (not that he ever had a shot, support or not but just saying).

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

HTL on March 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

In other words, I should just skip my primary right?

See, it’s smug analysis like this that I’m talking about. Mittbots should try to be mindful of the optics of this sort of thing. If its all sewn up for your guy, then just shut up and wait it out. Don’t tell the rest of us we have to just pack it in. It’s really obnoxious and one of the chief reasons your guy leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Good post. The 10th Amendment “defense” falls flat on its face with honest examination. Is gun control philosophically conservative if it’s done on the state level? Tax increases? Abortion? Violation of religious liberty? Health insurance mandates are no different.

And contrast Romney’s cowardice with Scott Walker.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Um, 2/3 have already voted.

Rusty Allen on March 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Um, there are 22 primaries left. Even counting the non-states that are voting, how in the world does that work out to 2/3 have voted?

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM

And contrast Romney’s cowardice with Scott Walker.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

This argument would make some sense in a political vacuum, or in a swing state, but we’re talking about Massachussets. Vetoing the inevitable legislation would have been a political Pickett’s charge.

And you’re hiding the ball. The 10th Amendment defense is what differentiates Mass care from Obamacare, it does not – nor is intended to – make Mass care a conservative bill. Anyone who claims otherwise has an agenda.

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Yes, actually. And when I’m considering whether he has the character and conviction to serve as this country as President, this part of his record becomes highly relevant.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

What is the philosophical difference between Romneycare and Obamacare? Not the technical, legal difference; the philosophical difference.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I have slowly accepted Romney as the candidate. Not because I wanted too but because I have too.

However I cannot stand to see Rick Santorum on the stump for one more day. He’s driving me crazy. Gingrich is not doing himself any favors by sticking around. And Ron Paul is toilet paper stuck to our collective shoe, a little embarrassing but harmless.

birdhurd on March 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

..firstly, thank you for your ABO support. Secondly, you have a future in this blogging thing; very, very funny, sir or madam as the case may be.

The War Planner on March 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

..as a so-called Mittbot, I steadfastly agree. I know the guy was just running the math but it does seem like gloating. The VERY LAST THING that we (who prefer Romney) should be doing is rubbing it in. I personally am EXTREMELY THANKFUL for those who have reconsidered and “thrown in” with us. The very last thing I would want to do is pisss them off.

And I personally remain committed to making sure that Romney lives up to his promises or else I’m with all of you at the barricades for 2016.

The War Planner on March 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Is it fair to rephrase your question, “if we ignore the Constitution and its limited, enumerated powers to the federal government and broad powers reserved to the states, what is the difference”? Cause if that’s what your asking, then the only real difference is that the people of the Commonwealth strongly supported Masscare, and the people of the United States vigorously opposed Obamacare.

In other words, setting aside the silly old Constitution and its meaningless distinctions, Gov. Romney, a duly elected representative of his state, gave the people what they wanted, while President Obama ignored the will of the people.

Longing4Lincoln on March 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Don’t confuse and upset me with facts, give me something totally emotional to feed unbridled RDS.

whatcat on March 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Ok, peeps. Gotta go be an honorary Jayhawk rooting against the hated Buckeyes.

Happy thought for the night: picture Anthony Davis dunking on Mitt Romney and Obama’s scrawny butts. At the same time.

Nom de Boom on March 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

the final stage: acceptance

DBear on March 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM

cane_loader on March 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You’ve got a funny notion of obligation. We owe to disclose who we support in the polls? We owe it?

I think not. In fact, I’ve consistently voted for others in these polls just to mess with the data. I’ve enjoyed knowing that my bogus vote may have contributed just a tiny bit to raising the hopes and expectations of those who wanted Mitt to lose. I’ve enjoyed it because I like to see their foolish notions elevated in their minds, just to see them biatch slapped by a good dose of reality.

MJBrutus on March 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Yes and A- He would have lost. B – He would *still* get hammered because he would have been accused of *wanting Massetchuess working poor to die*…remember when they pulled that on the GOP during the 80′s and 90′s when we tried to reform Social Security?

Sometimes it’s not enough to go down in flames for your cause. Hit & Git, fight another day, pick a slogan, but even if Romney fell into it that way, he still deserves some support for trying to put some mustard on a seriously large crap sandwich.

And yet, again, the voters of the state didn’t rise up in groundswell to oppose it, only the true hard core political animals did.

They got out the message better than the GOP did in the state, and the best we could do was what was done.

NLT, if you live in the NorthEast you KNOW how bad it is up here. If you want a example, think California, Washington State, etc.

If you lived in his state or supported him out of state, how much did *you* do? Did you rally people? Did you raise money or even protest much online?

Again, I’m no Romney booster, and yeah he’s got a lot of work to do to convince me he’s a Conservative…but he IS a Republican, so you gotta start somewhere.

As compared to this?:

etc etc etc.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Here we both agree: Romney isn’t the biggest Conservative, but he’s a damn site more than Obama and his ilk. That’s why it’s not enough to get his tush across the finish line, that’s just the start.

Conservatives need to concentrate on the upcoming Congressional races: Even if granted that Romney is a wet-RINO at 1600, if we have a decent foothold in Congress at least we can stop the bigger of the two problems, which is Americas declining dollar and the Unemployment issue.

If Americans aren’t working we are not earning…No earn, higher taxes needed to pay down the loans that come due every quarter. That alone is enough to get him into office.

As long as he doesn’t pick a goof of a VP candidate, he can beat Obama. He can, anyone can…including you and/or me!

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM