Hot Air Homestretch Survey Final Results

posted at 2:00 pm on March 31, 2012 by Patrick Ishmael

It’s both the highest percentage of the vote and the largest margin between first and second place we’ve had to date. Mitt Romney again takes the Hot Air Survey, this time with 61% of the vote. He’s followed by Rick Santorum with 20%, Newt Gingrich with 14%, and Ron Paul with 4%. I think it is fair to say that at this point, Republicans are pivoting to the general election. Over 2000 votes were cast.

Romney is beginning to win the most votes among the 2008 candidate constituencies. Interestingly, Gingrich wins among self-proclaimed Palin voters, and Santorum wins among Huckabee voters.

No surprises in the preferred vice president category.

Questions or looking for a specific cross tab? You can find me here. Typically these surveys have been done twice a month, and events on the ground could be such that in two weeks that this race could be over, making further Hot Gas surveys utterly extraneous. (Yes, commenters, please tell me how extraneous and pointless these are/were. Please.)

If that’s the case, let me take the opportunity to say that this was a lot of fun, and it was a pleasure working with everyone to get this experiment off the ground. Had a blast!

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Wow, the ‘bot got 700 votes in the final Hot Gas survey, less than half the votes he got back when anyone gave a fig about the survey, and his bots are all high fiving like they just won the lottery. I guess you takes your big wins where you find them.

james23 on April 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Hate to break it to you after such a fine rant, but you read the chart wrong. Total votes for a 2012 candidate in this survey are added vertically, not horizontally.

HTL on April 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Since Mittens doesn’t have a polygamist’s prayer of being elected, that’s funny.

Gingrich / Perry 2012
§§§§§§§§§§ ~(Ä)~ §§§§§§§§§
GOP Attack Squad Since 1972

Karl Magnus on April 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hey, shite for brains, Mitt has one wife. Your gasbag is on his 3rd and counting.

MJBrutus on April 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ahem, from memory:

“Oh, I wish I was back in old Canada,
A land which I never shall lampoon!
How I pine for the ice covering Lake Manitoba,
And the beauty that is Saskatoon!

Oh, I wish I was stuck in the hills of Alberta,
Drinking beer with some big dumb guy trapping fur!
As he scraped and chiseled all the moose dung off his boots,
I would learn that he’s the Prime Minister!! :)

Oh, I wish I was in the land that gave us Peter Jennings,
Alanis Morissette, Mike Myers, too!
No, I take that back, I wouldn’t go there even if you paid me,
Oh, Canada, you are a place I must eschew!

Oh, how I wish I was blowing up Prince Edward Island,
And going on to bomb Ontario!
The destruction of Canada and all of its culture,
Is by far my fav-o-rite scenario!

Just where the hell does Canada get off sharing a border
With countries far superior to it?
Why, you lousy, stinking, francophonic, bacon-loving bastards,
Your country’s just a giant piece of sh–”

“I have no sense of proportion! I’m a disgrace to my uniform!” – Tom Servo

Buckshot Bill on April 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Impressive, and letter-perfect. But remember you must only use your super memory powers for good…

HTL on April 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

2000 votes were cast.

LOL, that is pathetic.

Back in summer/fall of last year, Palin would get more than 3,000 votes just by herself. Same thing with many other GOP contenders.

Romney is a big wet blanket on the conservative movemnet. Voter turnout among conservatives will be lower. The only question is by how much.

Norwegian on April 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

LOL, that is pathetic.

Norwegian on April 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

“The Hotair survey is irrelevant! These stupid people posting here are not representative of anything! ROMNEY WILL WIN EVERY SINGLE PRIMARY!!!!!!!!!!!” – Mittbots, circa 9 months ago

“See, this Hotair survey is totally on the money, all of you people posting here who don’t support Romney are totally off base! Your just Obamadrones! This is the most relevant poll ever, see, Romney can too win conservatives!!!!!!!!!” – Mittbots, today

Buckshot Bill on April 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Rather low turn-out. That doesn’t bode well, but it supports my theory.

The issue is not whether or not Romney will beat Obama in the general election. The problem is that in a contest between Obama and Romney it doesn’t matter which one wins because either way conservatism loses. To be honest, I’ve yet to be convinced which would be worst. Obama openly dismantling our republic or the Republicans joining together to give it away in secret. If Romney is the nominee, the only thing we can do is keep our fingers crossed and pray that he’s changed a lot since he was governor.

Pattosensei on April 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM

You keep using that number. Perhaps you didn’t see it, but I asked if you could please provide a source (or at least a hint) as to where to find it. I’ve googled “Romney 34% approval” and nothing comes up.

HTL on April 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

If you had really wanted to find it, you would have. Or if it had been a negative number for Santorum or Gingrich or Palin, it would’ve been repeated so often it would’ve already become gospel (as in “74% of GOP voters didn’t want Palin to run”.) Try “favorability” rather than “approval” (which at this point means the same thing for Romney.

He will continue to do so, and once he can concentrate exclusively on Obama, after kicking the ankle biters named Santorum and Gingrich to the curb, he will focus his attention on Obama just fine..

LOL. How ironic. Gingrich DID concentrate on Obama, moved past Romney in the polls, and then Romney had to become the ankle biter to take down Gingrich. Romney could’ve been concentrating on Obama since last May.

Not Romney’s like yourself have whined and cried over his “attacks” against his opponents in this primary season, why do you think he’ll be whimpering against Obama?

SauerKraut537 on April 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Because he’s a squish whose base consists of squishes, and squish orthodoxy is that saying mean things about liberals only alienates them and drives them to the Democrats. It will happen again this time. Moderates can only attack conservatives.

ddrintn on April 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM

HTL on April 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Which makes Romney and McCain voters the most significant “constituencies” and still totals less than 900.

ddrintn on April 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM

If you had really wanted to find it, you would have.

ddrintn on April 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Humm, Ok, so you couldn’t find it either.

Gunlock Bill on April 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If you had really wanted to find it, you would have.

ddrintn on April 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Interesting approach. Source: because I said so.

Must have saved you a ton of time in college, not having to footnote your research papers beyond that (and then ibid, of course).

HTL on April 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Dump Mitt Now (before it’s too late)!

Perry/West 2012
. . .because America does not need another wimp in the White House!

Pragmatic on April 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Humm, Ok, so you couldn’t find it either.

Gunlock Bill on April 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Interesting approach. Source: because I said so.

HTL on April 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

LOL, the ‘bots must be avoiding search engines these days like the plague.
Knock yourselves out, condescending shits.

ddrintn on April 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM