Could a “Tea Party Supreme Court” save Obama’s bacon?

posted at 5:00 pm on March 31, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Here’s a strange question which I’ve also been considering lately, but from a very different angle than the subject of today’s discussion. Could a Supreme Court decision striking down the individual mandate in Obamacare – if not the entire law – actually work to Barack Obama’s favor in November? Bob Shrum puts a new spin on the possibility in his column at The Week Magazine.

For those not familiar, Shrum is a long time Democratic operative who worked for Al Gore and John Kerry on their presidential bids, along with many, many others. So you won’t be surprised that the first page of this lengthy essay is dedicated to nothing more than glorifying Barack Obama as the most important president of the modern era, the author of a brilliant new age of social justice and, if I’m not mistaken, the inventor of Teflon. He also can’t resist the urge to denigrate the members of the court who are generally perceived as being more conservative, calling them “Injustices” and “Tea Party justices” and “politically infected” members. But by the time you get to page two, he eventually meanders back to the subject of the article and posits an answer to our question.

(Note: even this part is a bit long, so I’ve pared it down to save space, but you can click through for the Full Monty.)

A politically infected court could produce a politically unexpected result that would confound the conventional punditry, strengthening him and weakening Romney and the Republicans.

Here’s how.

First, voters who hate Obama and Obamacare — and sadly in our riven politics, hate is the right word — were never going to vote for him anyway.

Second, Americans in the grey zone of doubt about health reform, confused by the fog of lies about the bill, would move on and vote, as they mostly would anyway…

Third, the Democratic base and women would rally to Obama because they would understand more plainly than ever the threat of a Republican president packing the Supreme Court with more injustices hostile to reproductive rights, to equality for minorities and gay Americans, and to essential protections for the environment and workers on the job.

Fourth, the aftermath would also engage those who would lose out if the law is swept away, especially young people no longer covered by their parents’ insurance..

This is a case where it looks – at least to me – as if Shrum may be asking the right question, drawing the entirely wrong lesson from it, but still coming up with an answer that could hold some merit. (Hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.) But here is my very different premise which Shrum’s hypothetical situation might generate.

Not only Mitt Romney – still the presumptive nominee if you ask me – but the rest of the field have been running on a promise to repeal Obamacare. (How a president does that without the help of Congress is never explained, but never mind that for now.) It’s one of the signature moves of each of their campaigns. But what happens if the Supremes come out in June and throw the entire thing out?

You can’t really spend the next four months running on a promise to repeal something which no longer exists, now can you? Even for the majority of people in the country who now seem to be opposed to the law, it’s going to be pretty hard to use that as a lever to motivate them to get out there and vote in November. Such a decision by the court could, at least in theory, take one of the biggest bullets out of the GOP chamber in the final stretch of the race.

Now, I know that some of you will argue that this actually benefits Mitt Romney, and you might be right. If Mitt is seen as the Godfather of Mandates, as Plouffe asserts, then perhaps this wasn’t a good argument for him to use in the first place. But still, taking away an issue he might have been weak on is not the same thing as giving him an issue he’s strong on. And without Obamacare, his chief arguments have been on jobs and the economy. But with unemployment still seeming to be on the way down, that particular battle front begins to look weaker as well.

What’s left? Gas prices? Perhaps, I suppose, but left to stand on its own as an issue, prices at the pump begin to look like pretty thin gruel. So, this brings us to the exit question. Should we have actually been rooting for the Supreme Court to :::gulp::: uphold the individual mandate and the whole bill so that the case can be decided at the ballot box and not in a court room?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

NO. That is the answer to your question.

Leave it to liberals to use the Supreme Court for political purposes. An unconstitutional law should be struck down. Let the chips fall where they may.

IndyinVirginny on March 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

How should we view all these posts about an Obama loss is an Obama victory? Is it the Left preparing itself to emotionally handle the loss or is it a way for them to trick the Right into feeling better about the mandate not being overturned? I’m hoping it’s the former – I’ll take all the consequences that come with victory.

Seriously, have we learned nothing??? We’ve already been pushed so far to the Left – it’s time to push back, you want something to argue about if Obamacare is taken off the table? Look around you and pick something worth pushing back on for the next attack, there is no break in this fight.

You don’t win by losing, let’s get that straight. We have a word for people who believe losing has benefits… they’re called LOSERS.

Ukiah on March 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The majority of Americans have no idea. They trust the media. Obviously, I don’t have to explain. After a long day of work and the kids, sports, homework, shower, dinner…maybe they turn on a “trusted” news network. That is all. Ask a neighbor or co-worker about the Fast & the Furious, ect.. bet they won’t know.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Which makes it our job to tell them in a way that wakes them up not one that causes them to tune us out. Every chance we have to talk about these things we must. Time is running out.

Rio Linda Refugee on March 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The only difference between this guy and Hillary is that Obama’s boob is named Biden.

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM

and one of them has skinny legs.

Rio Linda Refugee on March 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Gas prices.

Unemployment numbers.

The Stimulus Bill.

“Investments in green technology” like Solyndra.

A compentent, well-run GOP campaign can beat 0bama on these related issues alone, regardless of what SCOTUS does.

MidniteRambler on March 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Obama- the Solyndra of presidents.

profitsbeard on March 31, 2012 at 6:12 PM

profitsbeard:Yup,

Hopey the Fence post Turle,gazing and soaking up the Sun,
in search of a clue!:)
9(sarc)

canopfor on March 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The fact that Bob “Seven Time Loser/[fracking] landslide/calling John Kerry Mr. President” Shrum predicts that an overturning of 0bamaCare would help Democrats this fall makes me more confident that overturning 0bamaCare would help the GOP.

MidniteRambler on March 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM

massrighty on March 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

In my late 30′s I get it. In my 20′s I was like the people I mentioned.
It’s still hard for me to keep up. At least I am a try’n.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Add

7. An out of control TSA.

diogenes on March 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

So far the Democrat National Media has managed to keep this story quiet, but they may not be able to suppress it next week.

A federal criminal complaint alleges that workers for Delta Air Lines and the Transportation Security Administration helped a methamphetamine ring operate between southern California and Hawaii.

The complaint charges five people, including a Hawaii-based Delta Air Lines ramp agent who used her security credentials to bypass airport security to transport drug money to California.

-snip-

The defendants face detention hearings on Monday.

More here from the Honolulu paper:

Del Dolemonte on March 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM

and one of them has skinny legs.

Rio Linda Refugee on March 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

lol…and it’s not Hillary.

KOOLAID2 on March 31, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on March 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

It’s those damn mom jeans.

Dude, really? Couldn’t hit a Wal-Mart at least, get some relaxed fit Lee’s or even Wrangler? Man up, damnit!

If he won a 2nd term, I got this picture of him wearing those things with one of those garish Ed Hardy “Love Hurts” t-shirt…

:gorge rising quickly….must…tamp down…:

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on March 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I do my friend. Actually, most come to me for advice because they know i have turned into the political junkie. Never use to be. I went to 3 Palin rallies. My first and only. I am an odd duck.
Lets roll! Speak the truth, have FACTS.
I am harder on some of my “own kind” that I meet.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM

First, can we all please not channel the Obama.bot slogan that Mitt was the Godfather of the Mandate???? That would be the great state of MA in 1905…5 dollar penalty for NOT having a vaccination. MA is just following its muse

Second, the answer is NO…scotus should NOT uphold.

r keller on March 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It doesn’t matter. I’d rather have obama for another 4 years then have obamacare stand. The damage he did in the first two years was only due to his control of congress. He won’t get that again. And in a couple years even if he does win he’ll be a lame duck president and then he’s gone to write bitter memoirs that no one will read.

I want Romney in office but Romney isn’t worth letting obamacare stand.

Karmashock on March 31, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I think all Kenyans wear mom jeans…it’s the style over there

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

It’s those damn mom jeans.

Dude, really? C

In his 2nd therm..will be the “skinny jeans”
Gag.

Not sure whats worse.

I am no fashion diva but come on.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

term* ah you know spelling police.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

….YES! I was telling my husband the other night that most people wouldn’t have objected to a mandate that said “buy a catastrophic healthcare plan”…..
Greyledge Gal on March 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I sure as hell would have objected if the federal government ‘merely’ demanded that I buy a penny piece of chewing gum from one of their certified sellers, much less catastrophic health insurance.

LegendHasIt on March 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

it’s TERM bazil9! Duuuuuuuuuh! :)

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Absolutely not! I would loathe a second term for Barack Obama, but ruling upholding the individual mandate would be the death knell of the American Republic, as we have known it.

Obamacare: Do Not Resuscitate

Resist We Much on March 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Hey bro.

I don’t think Kenyans are into mom jeans. They even have standards.
I think its a Harvard-chi town thing.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I don’t care if he was in the damn capsule with Kal-El before the planet did the Big Flashbulb.

Over *here*, in the good ole US-of A, real men wear *real* jeans…effin dot period.

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Le Ouch,this smacks of another Lefty type mindSet!
————————————————–

Thu, March 29th, 2012 8:01 pm
The RNC shoots itself in the mouth
***********************************

Now this.

The RNC released an advertisement (embedded in the story linked below)

with audio from the halting beginning to Don Verrilli’s oral argument on the individual mandate to make the point that (as the ad’s title says)

“ObamaCare: It’s a tough sell.”

So far as I can tell, it is less a real ad that would actually run than a stunt intended to draw attention – no less a stunt than the DNC surely has done in lots of other contexts.(More….)
========================================================

RNC AD!
=======

ObamaCare: It’s A Tough Sell
Added: 15 hours ago Occurred On: Mar-28-2012
********************************************

canopfor on March 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM

canopfor on March 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

:) Whats up my wild Texan?

We r keeping the thread alive.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Bob Shrum is always on the wrong side of things. Even when he asks the right question, draws the right lesson from it, he still gets it wrong.

That’s the way he rolls.

If PPACA is overturned by the Supremes,what’s Obama going to do? Run on a platform to bring back ObamaCare because he, the “Constitutional Law Professor” didn’t know it was unconstitutional?

But it isn’t overturned yet.

Besides, the Dems and Obama are going to run on:

The GOP War on Women
The GOP War on Old People
The GOP War on Poor People

and especially,

The GOP War on Hoodies.

SlaveDog on March 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Le double ugh,fogots da linky!

The RNC shoots itself in the mouth
**********************************

canopfor on March 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I agree with that totally. Hell, I go to order my 11 month nephew jeans and they are all “skinny jeans”. WTF? I want a man to be a man. lol..coming from me but true.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM

oh you know…just shooting the breeze, and anything else I feel like shooting, cause this is Texas.

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I guess that Obama will have to run on his winning issue: Lily Ledbetter.

onlineanalyst on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Why don’t you ever ask how come Bob Dylan sounds so much like Dewey Cox?!?!

Smell that sh!t Dewey!

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

If anyone is full of bullshit and HATE, it’s Shrum. A lot of projection in that boy.

GarandFan on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Could a “Tea Party Supreme Court” save Obama’s bacon?

Not likely.

Everyone knows mozlems like Hussein Obama abhor bacon.

Roy Rogers on March 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM

term* ah you know spelling police.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Spelling? Pfft. The comment police raided the joint last night. We are to be more serious!

katy the mean old lady on March 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

<bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Or if ya like to pay a lil-bit more…

Here ya go, brother. Plus they got great deals on hunting and fishing stuff!

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Keep a place open for me out there, friend! I’m looking for a place to make my stand ad in a few more years and it’s down to either Texas or Florida…and at least in Texas, i can enjoy me some shooting sports with people that don’t think guns are the root of all evil!

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM

everyone’s welcome, it’s BYOB and BYOG (as in guns)

DHChron on March 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

What did I miss?

massrighty on March 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Even if you could make the case that Obamacare getting struck down helps Democrats, I’d take that tradeoff to have it the whole thing thrown out. I think Obama’s in deep electoral trouble, but anything can happen in an election and right now it’s a coin toss for him to win.

For the record, I don’t buy for one minute it helps Democrats or Obama if it’s struck down, it only reinforces the narrative that we have a radical-in-chief. It’s sort of like the S&P downgrade, it’s 3rd party verification that something really does stink in Washington.

At the end of the day, Obama and the Democrats fate is more tied to the economy and energy prices than a Supreme Court ruling on healthcare legislation.

BradTank on March 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I’m liking Duluth Trading’s “Ballroom Jeans”.

OkieDoc on March 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I saw that earlier as I skimmed. :)

I say projection. I think I was serious ^^^. QOTD is never serious. Well..depends. Palin or atheist threads..diff story.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM

The economy, gas prices, and international policy failures influenced Jimmy Carter’s election victory in 1980.

Oh snap!

Roy Rogers on March 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Thx, I’ll take those jeans. Not my style but they arent pu$$y looking at least. :)

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

We are starting to see a lot of these types of articles about the “tea party court” and that the courts are “politicized” and of course that obamacare being thrown out is amazing for Obama. Because of those articles I am pretty confident the court is ruling it unconstitutional and one of the justices has told Obama and he is starting the spin. If the decision was to uphold it there is no way we would be getting these types of articles.

MFn G I M P on March 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I saw that earlier as I skimmed. :)

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Well, we managed to hide the booze and drugs. The strippers ran to my place.

Wish they’d leave.

katy the mean old lady on March 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

OkieDoc on March 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Nice, Doc! I just added it to my bookmarks.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

LMAO!

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Wish they’d leave.

katy the mean old lady on March 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Send them my way. LOL.
95 N.

I am outta here, my nephew stirring. Bottle time.

Best wishes HA peeps.

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM

“…If the Supreme Court makes Obama a loser, his poll numbers will drop. If the Court makes him a winner, his poll numbers will rise. Not more complicated than that.”

Fabozz on March 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I disagree with your assessment that Obama will be treated as a winner, if the Supremes let the mandate stand.

There’s a huge majority that’s now against this treasury-robbing slave-making bill to end up with crappy national healthcare and death panels.

It will “foment rioting” because the Supremes are now rogue. Everyone knows Kagan should have recused herself.

We believe this is our last chance to do it “legally”.
We’re quietly waiting at home, with our powder dry, before we go rogue too.

Typicalwhitewoman on March 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

SlaveDog on March 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM

The War on Foetuses, Who After Be Spared The ShopVac By Their Mummies, Will Be Denied The Basic Human Right To Be Forced By Their Betters In Government Into Third-Party Contracts For The Provision Of Government-Approved Goods and Services Once They Slide Out Of The Birth Canal And Take Their First Breaths.

Resist We Much on March 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

bazil9 on March 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Later, Bazil…Godspeed…

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Well, we managed to hide the booze and drugs. The strippers ran to my place.

Wish they’d leave.

katy the mean old lady on March 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Would you send them over to my place? I’ve been doing my taxes, and I could use some light entertainment.

Gladtobehere on March 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Ressurrect Patton. Patton’s zombie for president!

Fenris on March 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM

We keep seeing this argument from liberals, and its just wishful thinking. People hate this legislation, and if it turns out to be unconstitutional, it makes Obama and the Democrats look like a bunch of clowns at best, or tyrants at worst trying to ram an unconstitutional law down everyone’s throats. Independent voters are not going to turn to Obama as a response to the SCOTUS striking this law down, they’ll turn away from him.

eyedoc on March 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Bmore on March 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Right. And, Shrum’s not political, nor did he hate Bush.

Personally, I don’t hate Obama. I just disagree with everything he stands for, and almost everything he’s done.

I watched the Obamacare proceedings at SCOTUS pretty closely. What I saw/heard was the conservative justices asking pointed questions about Constitutional issues and the limits of the extent of fed govt. I also saw the liberal justices making the case for Obamacare that the solicitor general wasn’t making himself.

Now, who’s political?

I’m sure Shrum believes the liberal media bias is an illusion as well.

Jay Cost’s recent article about why the left is so surprised by SCOTUS this week is excellent and applies all around where conservative thought is concerned.

Plus, aren’t they a bunch of whiners?

Pablo Snooze on March 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM

What’s left? Gas prices?

Other than high gas prices, Obama is a doing a bang up job… Oh, really?

$5 trillion added to debt (record). 4 years of $1 trillion deficits (record). 39 months of 8% unemployment (record). ZERO new net jobs added in 3.5 years (record). Record foreclosures. Record bankruptcies. Record home equity loss. Fast & Furious. Solyndra. Stimulus. Dodd Frank. BP Oil spill fail. Golf. Parties. Etc…

kevinkristy on March 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM

A politically infected court

Translated: “Only Republicans can be Activist Judges”.

Del Dolemonte on March 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Of course.

The interesting thing is even the justices on the right get off track when talking not about the Constitution but rather the benefits or negatives of O-Care. The fact that we have gotten to a time with so much federal overreach puts them in a tough position. We need to pray the court strikes this down and the harder the better.

CW on March 31, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Could a “Tea Party Supreme Court” save Obama’s bacon?

Um, no. The Tea Party didn’t get into the public eye until after the current so called conservative justices were already on the bench.

chewmeister on March 31, 2012 at 8:15 PM

“Could a “Tea Party Supreme Court” save Obama’s bacon?”

Nope. Hey, why are Hotair headlines so full of questions? Don’t you guys do your homework before writing a column?

Kevin M on March 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM

We need to pray the court strikes this down and the harder the better.

CW on March 31, 2012 at 8:06 PM

And a whole lot of other cr@p.

chewmeister on March 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM

eyedoc on March 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM

What would Saul Alinsky do?

It’s all they’ve got left.

Roy Rogers on March 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

The more I read this post, the more concerned I become for our side.

Here we have a HotAir writer (not lib4life) thinking that, other than Obamacare and high gas prices, there’s not much to attack Obama over. Sigh.

kevinkristy on March 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Nah. Romney was always going to run on being not-Obama and the rest of the crappy economy (high unemployment, plummeting home values, massive deficits, etc., etc.) I just don’t think Obamacare was that big an issue for him or any other candidate. And what does Obama run on if not his signature issue? The stimulus? I think we’re giving the Democrats way to much credit for thinking ahead. I’m not saying we have this election in the bag. Far from it. There are enough dummies out there who voted for the Barry the Rube last time and who will be idiotic enough to do it again, just to make themselves feel good about not being racist. But, if Barry has proven one thing about himself since the last election, it’s that he’s no genius. He and his little band of hateful followers like the Shrum are in panic mode over Obamacare, and right now they are just desperately spitballing until they find something that sticks.

WarEagle01 on March 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

What would Saul Alinsky do?

It’s all they’ve got left.

Roy Rogers on March 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

That’s why the MSM and the left has been focusing so much on Ms. Fluke and the Martin case so much. Classic Alinsky. Deflection from the real issues of Obama’s failures.

chewmeister on March 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I tend to disagree with your analysis.

First about 60-70% of the people are opposed to Obamacare to one degree or another.

Second, the people who would be most effected if the law is struck down are those who would vote for Obama in the first place and who, in general, don’t pay taxes and think Obamacare is free mana from heaven. They are not a swing vote.

Independents may be divided, but Obamacare isn’t the pivot point of their decision. The economy and jobs are the main focus of independents. Obamacare is down somewhere around 10-15 on their priority list along with global warming.

Seniors are a question mark. But again, I don’t think enough seniors are involved in Obamacare to make a difference.

Today, seniors are running slighthly against Obama. On the other hand, seniors are more swayed by emotional arguments and the Democrats are masters at that technique. Republicans have never been able to develop an emotional argument or slogan since the Whigs (forerunners of the Republicans) coined Teppecanoe and Tyler Too. That had an emotional appeal.

True, “I Like Ike” was popular in Eisenhower’s campaign, but it wasn’t an emotional outreach.

The entire strategy of Obamacare was to push through a completely unpopular bill and hope that enough people became dependent upon it that it could never be repealed.

That didn’t happen. The “kids” mooching off their parents’ insurance are not normally motivated to vote–otherwise they would be out on their own.

That may sound over simplified, but I think it’s true. People who don’t provide for themselves are generally apathetic–leaving it to others to give them what they want.

The OWS mob is an exception, but they are a tiny minority who perhaps turn more people against their cause than they attract. There is a reason the OWS mob is not being welcomed back for an encore by liberal mayors.

Frankly, if the election were held today or the after the Supreme Court strikes down Obamacare (if that happens) Obama would lose to a head of cabbage.

But November is light-years away in political terms and so it’s the Republican’s election to lose.

For every argument Obama may have to attack Republicans on Obamacare, the Republicans have two arguements why it was not only unconstitutional but why it was completely unaffordable under any scenario.

The problem, of course, is that Republicans have an abysmal track record of effective campaigning.

BMF on March 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM

WarEagle01 on March 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

If the biggest example of government over reach in modern history wasn’t a big issue for Mitt, or any other GOP candidate, why the heck would any conservative support them?

chewmeister on March 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM

No way. If the Supremes strike this down it will make Obama look like an even bigger nincompoop than he already does, and gives Mitt more ammunition. If they vote to uphold, then that’s even more of a reason for the majority that don’t want this law to go make sure they put Romney in office. Either way, Obama loses.

lynncgb on March 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Where does all the nonsense end?
It has gotten to the point where I turn off the 24hr/day political BS. So….the libs argue that because 100′s of top law professors did not see how Obamacare could be overturned, it couldn’t/shouldn’t/can’t be. Hmmmmmm. Then they argue that there will be a revolt (both literally and figuratively) if the ‘conservatives’ out-vote the libs on the SC (but, of course, not the opposite). Hmmmmmmmm. Then if Obamacare is overturned it is good for the Obama and bad for conservatives. Hmmmmm.
When does the nonsense end? I had an argument with my very liberal daughter about OWS. I reminded her that places like OWS-NewYork was a couple of hundred people on a good day (and at night, single digits!). WHY should I care what a couple of hundred libs illegally camping in a public park in NYC do or say? WHY should I care what a few dozen water-carrying libs in the media think about Obamacare and the SC….

nbnagel01 on March 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I still don’t think this would happen. I just think Americans will see his signature 2,000 pg bill being overturned as a failure. The one thing he did he forced through and it wasn’t even legal.

I’m still hoping its overturned. At least that will prove that our system still works to protect us. If not I suppose its only a matter of time no matter who is elected in 2012.

magicbeans on March 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Karmashock on March 31, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Another 4 years of Barry and a chance to appoint one or 2 Supreme Court Justices and Barry can have the Court rubber-stamps any revamped version of ObamaCare or single payer system along with a death panel.

galtani on March 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

…the Whigs (forerunners of the Republicans) coined Teppecanoe and Tyler Too. That had an emotional appeal.

True, “I Like Ike” was popular in Eisenhower’s campaign, but it wasn’t an emotional outreach…

BMF on March 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I have a few emotional appeals. Try these-

“If there’s Bain in the main, it’ll be like McCain” or

“Obama, Russia’s BFF” or

Vote the Volt or it’s all she wrote” or

“Romney, he made the Olympics special”

I’m sure there are more.

OkieDoc on March 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Del, there was a similar incident involving the TSA at an airport near me. As of yet, it still hasn’t come to trial.

diogenes on March 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Certainly TSA malfeasance is worthy of a election year issue. Why the silence?

diogenes on March 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Jazz, democrats are employing the White Men Can’t Jump philosophy of Gloria Clemente: Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

Dr Evil on March 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

You do realize that Shrum has lost every campaign he was involved with back, back to 1968, right, Caddell ran Carter in ’76, and
Carville in ’92,

narciso on March 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The lies:
If you like your healthcare you can keep it
No taxpayer funding of abortions in Obama/Romneycare
Will decrease the costs
Will cover more Americans
Your costs won’t increase
Won’t cut medicare funding will strengthen it
There are no death panels
Will cut the deficit
No increase in premiums
Those lies the folks are living they are NOT confused about they are praying the supremes follow the constitution, NOT their socialist teachings.

ConcealedKerry on March 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Uh, Jazz, Shrum is the biggest loser of either major party. Anybody that hires him already knows they’re going to lose and they need a scapegoat.

You would do better researching your donkey party talking points by watching SNL or the Daily Show.

platypus on March 31, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Could a “Tea Party Supreme Court” save Obama’s bacon?

I posit that, yes, it can, if the Buck-Passer-in-Chief is willing to run against the TeaTHUGliKKKan (shoutouts to Greg Gutfeld) Supreme Court in hopes of galvanizing his paltry base of aging Maoists to rally against Generic Republican Candidate in November.

Whatever straws he has left are the straws he necessarily needs to grasp at.

mintycrys on March 31, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Yes, let’s root for it being held constitutional and have to rely on Mitt Romney, John Boehner, and Mitch McConnell to repeal it. That’s a hell of a plan.

How can any conservative say it might be a good thing for it to be held constitutional? Do republicans in congress have any track record of getting any conservative legislation placed into law? No, not since Gingrich.

Jazz I get the feeling you might live in the Beltway, or have spent too much time around people who have.

To your point though, I actually could see Mitch McConnell rooting for the law’s success at the Supreme court, if he felt it would help him gain power in the senate. Power to do what though? Nothing conservative. What a sad party the Republicans are.

The_Conservative on March 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Well Mr. Shaw here’s my take on the whole situation. First, I think you grossly overestimate the feedback loop that Obama MIGHT be given from his base or progressive’s or both as the result of USSC striking down this law. Second, it’s clear that Obama’s been a major disappointment to the youth (among others) that once voted him in such a plurality that he became President. With the economy not even close to creating the kinds of jobs college graduates once hoped for, my take is that enthusiasm for Obama AND his so called signature piece of legislation has diminished significantly. Right now, if the entire law were struck down, it would be anti-climactic.

Clearly no one thinks Obama changed DC the way he had stated as his goal in 2008. Shrum’s piece is just another ” I Can’t Believe Obamacare Might Fail “catharsis from the left that arrives as a journalistic pop corn fart.

Have you noticed that with the Leftinistas it’s activist USSC judges with this Obamacare, but with a Prop 8 strike down by a gay judge in a legal voting referendum, no less, in California defending gay marriage, it was their infringing “their” rights? Clearly these nutwads want their cake and eat it too.

Please give this a rest. We don’t need to feed these journo~trolls until June when the USSC will have hopefully rendered it’s decision to strike down the entire POS.

DevilsPrinciple on March 31, 2012 at 9:53 PM

So if the United States Supreme Court finds the unconstitutional health care law unconstitutional, it’s a right wing activist court, but if it finds the unconstitutional health care law constitutional, it’s not. Liberal thinking kills brain cells. It really, really does.

Rational Thought on March 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM

OT:

If you like electronic music, Orbital has a new album, the first since 2004.

For me, I preferred, Underworld.
(They did the music in ‘Trainspotting’ and ‘Hackers’)
Saw Underworld in San Francisco with Chemical Brothers back in 2000, when we lived there.
WOWZA!

Typicalwhitewoman on March 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

oh i think It’s bacon will be burnt to a hard, charcoal briquette brittle fare-thee-well.

considering that none of the conservatives or MOR justices were nominated to the court in the current ‘tea party’ era of doom and gloom. considering only stark raving liberal commies this side of marx have been put on the supreme court by Himself, lord barry, amid the emergence of the tea party- that’s really rich.

mittens on March 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

No. People like Shrum are spinning.

The more important question is can Romney defeat Obama?

As matters stand today, the answer is No.

john.frank on March 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Shrum is a long time Democratic operative who worked for Al Gore and John Kerry on their presidential bids.

Here’s hoping Shrum does for Obama what he did for Gore and Kerry.

Pole-Cat on March 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Yes, no, or maybe. The media narrative will be written depending on the permutation of the decision and election result, and it will be impossible to prove otherwise.

But one thing is certain: I’ll take a total repeal for an Obama victory. Electing Republicans is not as important as stopping socialism, and no, one doesn’t lead to the other as we’ve seen so many times in recent decades.

As for the debt, America has voted for it, supported it, defended it, and deserves it.

HitNRun on March 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

BlaxPac on March 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM

and one of them has skinny legs.

Rio Linda Refugee on March 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

It Burns…

Del Dolemonte on March 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It’s frustrating to see conservatives taking anything written by liberals with a straight face. Shrum knows that free thinking people would not think like this on their own. He’s basically telling everyone how they should react before a decision overturning Obamacare is made, not commenting on how’d they’d react after said decision is made.

This is also applicable to all the “pundits” who claimed the SCOTUS would undoubtedly uphold the mandate. No legal scholar worth his weight would ever come to such a conclusion, but by saying it over and over, you provide the foundation to the argument that the decision by the court that conflicts with this repeated assertion has to have been made for political reasons.

Liberals may suck in the strategy department, but they are masters of political tactics. Conservatives better start learning how to counter them.

TheLastBrainLeft on March 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I despise this kind of analysis. Oh, I know that bloggers have to do it, but have we sunk so low that like the liberals, we can twist black into white and victories into defeat? Isn’t this country in a lot more trouble than simply Obamacare?

Do our candidates have nothing else to run on? If that’s the case, then we’re f*cked.

disa on March 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM

No. There are only four things (or any combination) that can save Obama’s bacon:

1. Republicans do their best to lose the election
2. Obama cheats
3. A massive idiot turnout on election day
4. He manufactures a crisis and uses that to convince people he must stay in office

The Rogue Tomato on March 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Jazz,

Debt.

Sincerely,

The Millennials.

beatcanvas on March 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Did I miss anything?

Already had my Bacon.

Del Dolemonte on April 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Yes, and up is down and Spock has a beard.

Ronnie on April 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

He would have been better off replacing that paragraph with some psycho-babble about Teflon® toilet paper. I don’t buy the argument.

Glenn Jericho on April 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Shrum apparently does not think Romneycare is going to be the republican nomination.

Slowburn on April 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Don’t be fooled guys, the dems desperately want obamacare to pass. They’re just playing mind games in the 11th hour.

Karmashock on April 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM

galtani on March 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Not if he loses the senate. If we get the senate then his nonsense is done.

We want this struck down now before it sinks it’s roots any deeper. Wait any longer and you’ll NEVER get rid of it and they’ll use the precedence set by such a ruling to push their next advance.

Obama isn’t worth it. Obamacare must die. If we take the senate and hold the house there is little he can do.

Karmashock on April 1, 2012 at 1:51 AM

No! Obama and his band of commie race-baiters are going to do everything they can to stir up their base for the election. Class war and race war are the only tools in their toolbox. They have the media, including Fox, running a lot of the agitprop for them. They kicked off their election campaign, with the OWS class war debacle last fall, and have moved on to war on religion, and now race war —and it’s only the end of March! Their plans will go on regardless of a Supreme Court outcome.

My advice is:

Send money to the Republican candidates. You don’t have to like them, just help them throw the commies out of office. Put out yard signs. Relentlessly confront the leftist dogs, and irritate them into making more and dumber public statements. They can’t be convinced, only discredited.

Stockpile non-perishable food for emergencies.

Get your gear in order. That means batteries, flashlights, warm, dry field clothing, packs, water, matches and all the rest. Keep everything where you don’t have to spend two days looking for it and gathering it up.

Keep your vehicles topped up and in good repair.

Stockpile plenty of ammo. You already have plenty of guns, right?

Gas masks are cheap right now. Get what you need and get the real filters, not some training filters.

Get in touch with like-minded friends and coordinate plans and rendezvous points.

Hell, just pretend you’re back in the Army or Marines, and the rest will come easy. Make a TO&E list.

Probably nothing will happen. Then again, it could be Katrina and the LA riots on steroids. You don’t want to be running in circles with a dumb, terrified look on your face, so buck up now, get control of yourself and your situation.

Then sit back and enjoy the view, because the stupid lefties will do none of the above.

claudius on April 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM

NO. That is the answer to your question.

IndyinVirginny on March 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Liberals do not care about what is constitutional or not. They only care about their agenda, US Constitution be d@mned!!.

See Nancy Pelosi and “we wrote the law to be constitutional” or words to that effect…

How that woman sleeps at night is beyond me…

Khun Joe on April 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM