Naomi Wolf: Katy Perry glorifying violence by pretending to join the Marines in her latest video or something

posted at 2:55 pm on March 30, 2012 by John Hawkins

Don’t look now, but the woman who taught Al Gore everything he knows about being an “alpha male” is upset with Katy Perry over the video for her latest song, Part of Me.

In the video, Katy Perry sees her boyfriend kiss another woman and, of course, she then does the natural thing — she breaks up with him and joins the Marines. The rest of the video features Perry doing a Rocky montage of different Marine training exercises and running around with a gun which she never shoots at anybody. I kept expecting her to end the video by pulling Saddam Hussein out of his spider hole or by saving Robert Pattinson from a gang of thugs before making out with him, but the video never actually went anywhere.

Naomi Wolf’s reaction to this rather innocuous video was uh, let’s say overwrought.

Have you all seen the Katy Perry Marines video? It is a total piece of propaganda for the Marines…I really want to find out if she was paid by them for making it…it is truly shameful. I would suggest a boycott of this singer whom I really liked — if you are as offended at this glorification of violence as I am.

Speaking as someone who kind of enjoys the glorification of violence, there is no actual glorification of violence. There isn’t even a glorification of the Marines per se although to the sort of left-wing nut who writes screeds like this one, any depiction of the Marines that doesn’t present them as thuggish drones, mentally destabilized, or desperately wanting out of the military probably qualifies as “propaganda.”

I never thought I would have to write this: but – incredibly – Congress has now passed the National Defense Appropriations Act, with Amendment 1031, which allows for the military detention of American citizens.

…The moment this bill becomes law, though Congress is accustomed, in a weak democracy, to being the ones who direct and control the military, the power roles will reverse: Congress will no longer be directing and in charge of the military: rather, the military will be directing and in charge of individual Congressional leaders, as well as in charge of everyone else – as any Parliamentarian in any society who handed this power over to the military can attest. — Naomi Wolf

Yes, the military will start putting members of Congress who don’t vote to increase their funding in camps any day now! It’ll probably happen right after the imaginary draft that Bush was going to implement finally occurs. Hey, whatever happened to that draft that liberals all over America assured us was on the way? Ooh, ooh, it’ll be here any day now!

At the end of the day, Katy Perry should be congratulated for trying, in her own way, to portray the military in a positive light. After all, they are only risking their lives for our freedom. If that doesn’t even merit a positive mention in a music video in Naomi Wolf’s eyes, her priorities are way out of line.

John Hawkins is a professional writer who runs Right Wing News and Linkiest. He’s also the co-owner of the The Looking Spoon. You can hear more from John Hawkins on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, G+, You Tube, & at PJ Media.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Who? What? Why?

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Never heard of her or this or anything about this.

But I have some time.

Electrongod on March 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Isn’t she just re-enacting “Private Benjamin”,the movie with Goldie Hawn???

portlandon on March 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Miss Katy has some big guns and Marines like big guns.

And bigguns.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM

to the left, any hint of deviation in popular culture IS a serious offense. We may not get the big freaking deal, but this is their venue and they will assault any and all who may question their ideologies.

rob verdi on March 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I’d pay real money to see one of these bubblegum pop stars actually go through Marine boot camp.

I’m smelling reality series.

CurtZHP on March 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You know ever since Katy Perry (the Brit with the “goods”)
said adios to the Idiot Russell Brand she’s taken a decidedly
Right Turn??

ToddPA on March 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I loved the video. Can we start a Buycott?

BigGator5 on March 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Let me know when Ms Wolf speaks out about Gangsta rap existing for the sole purpose of glorifying violence and being total propaganda for gang membership.

Dawnsblood on March 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

So called “celebrities” posting diatribes on Facebook about other so called “celebrities” – and this is news?

We are so screwed.

Common Sense Floridian on March 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The real outrage her is her clothing. She’s wearing too much of it. Her music is awful — the only redeeming features of her previous videos were her revealing outfits.

AngusMc on March 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

A woman doesn’t have to be in a war for those skills to come in handy. I recall, recently a young single woman with a new baby had to go to her arsenal to save herself from a guy that broke into her house. Had to kill him to stop him.

RBMN on March 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’ve never heard of Naomi Wolf.

Oh, and I don’t give a damn about Katy Perry. Anybody who would marry that Thing from England carries little weight with me. I’m sure that the divorce papers accused Perry of physically abusing the Thing – No, I don’t remember what his name is.

Q. Why did I even respond in this thread?

A. I have no idea, whatsoever.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Katy Perry and Nerf, the two biggest reasons why kids pick up guns and start shooting people.

Cyhort on March 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Girl Power!

(till they do something I don’t like)

lorien1973 on March 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

5 women picking up a huge log. Sounds like my every day life. ;)IYKWIMAITYD

lorien1973 on March 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Naomi trying to educate us, save us from ourselves, make us better people…so long as we drink HER brand of Koolaid. Hubris is too kind a word.

Thank you for asking on March 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

To sum up: Naomi Wolf: Song encouraging same-sex making out: a-ok. Video about Marines? No.

WhatSlushfund on March 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Who is Naomi Wolf?

jukin3 on March 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Katy Perry seems awfully uncomfortable with her forehead. Have you noticed in nearly every video, she does something to cover it up?

lorien1973 on March 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I bet Naomi doesn’t need birth control either.

faraway on March 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Please leave Zooey Deschanel alone…

Oil Can on March 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Another lefty calling for a boycott!

KOOLAID2 on March 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Isn’t Naomi Wolf that really hot psycho chick?

ButterflyDragon on March 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Democrats calling anything “shameful”: what’s down is up, what’s up is down, what’s shameful is innocuous, what’s innocuous is horrible…

Lourdes on March 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Did I miss something? When did the two new bloggers come to Hotair?

Creston on March 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Katy Perry is a lefty too, the video is not about marines, you just get excited because she has boobs and then try to pretend she is like you.

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Everything the left says about this video is pure garbage.

I’m not a Perry fan at all, not even my kind of music (Turisas is), and I can’t stand her face in that acne medication commercial, but this video is good. I can actually sit through it (once) and watch the whole thing.

That’s amazing for me to be able to do, believe me.

She isn’t glorifying the military, in the vid she joined the marines because her boyfriend or whatever was a putz. Once she got in that’s what the song meaning takes on (I think) is that her experience in the marines is something that will always be a part of her.

If she wrote that (kinda doubt that) she is displaying a depth I’d never given her credit for. If she understands it as she performs it but didn’t write it I’d say the same.

Once again the only thing the left wing shows is a disdain for the men and women protecting this country from f*cks like them overseas. I salute the military for what they do, and here Perry earns a couple of kudos from me.

/hat tip

Wolfmoon on March 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Oil Can on March 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

You beat me to it!

Buckshot Bill on March 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I love this post. Gives me an excuse to google up some Kate Perry images. Gimme more Kate Perry over a bony Hollywood celebutard or an aging dried-up feminazi any day.

Archivarix on March 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Jeez, little Katie didn’t have to go join the Marines. I’d console her here on the farm.
Here is her other video:

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

This is the sort of music video feminists should like; it’s all about female strength. Guess agenda comes first.

theperfecteconomist on March 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I love her songs lots of texture and flavor for dancing. It does since she got rid of Russel Brand she has gone in a better direction.

Fitzoid on March 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

What’s not to like about that video?

Hot chick with guns carrying a gun.

My daughter didn’t think it was Katy. Katy wouldn’t cut her hair.

I didn’t care, it had a hot chick with guns carrying a gun.

More importantly, what does blue gills think about this story?

Is it even fit to be posted?

Did Mr. Hawkins do an adequate job of telling it?

Did I mention hot chick with guns carrying a gun?

cozmo on March 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I liked the video. Not exceptional.

I’m old school.
I don’t like women in combat.

I think a man would try and be more protective of a girl out in the field. I don’t know enough about it.

How do former military men feel about a woman in combat?
Is an M16 enough of an equalizer no matter who is shooting it?

Typicalwhitewoman on March 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Err, why does she wrap her boobs in gauze? Odd.

Naomi Wolf is just pissed cuz she’s 30 years and 30 pounds removed from anything resembling Katy Perry.

smfic on March 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Please leave Zooey Deschanel alone…

Oil Can on March 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Another cute girl who can’t friggin’ sing.

CurtZHP on March 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Wolfmoon on March 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

DITTO.

Maybe because the Left — especially Left Hollywood — recognizes that our military actually IS “protecting this country from (people) like them overseas” is why the Left continues to PLAY THE ROLE of being all about “peace.”

Every single time I hear/read ANYone harping about “peace” they’re shown to be communist, marxist, Leftwing, socialist, progressivist, etc. in some combination. What they MEAN by “peace” is “surrender.”

Lourdes on March 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM

“At the end of the day, Katy Perry should be congratulated…”

I don’t think that’s necessary.

David Blue on March 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

How do former military men feel about a woman in combat?
Is an M16 enough of an equalizer no matter who is shooting it?

Typicalwhitewoman on March 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I’ve seen some female sharpshooters while in the Israeli Forces, and I don’t mean special units. As long as the rifle isn’t big enough to make recoil a major problem, a well trained woman can outshoot a man on a range. They were bred for patience and accuracy for millenia.

Archivarix on March 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM

“Firework” is one pop song I really like. I belt it out in my car…with the windows down. “Boom…boom…boom…even brighter than the moon…moon…moon…”

SouthernGent on March 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Please leave Zooey Deschanel alone…

Oil Can on March 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I actually don’t have a problem with Zooey, at least not with her music-”She & Him” put out a terrific Christmas album last year, and since they started singing and recording together they’ve done some decent stuff-both their own material and they also (respectfully) cover other musicians’ material, including songs by The Beatles and Smokey Robinson.

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM

She’s just a marine with breasts.

longfeet on March 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Priorities at HA

Schadenfreude on March 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I think the most violent moment in the video was when she put the hoodie on.

rivlax on March 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I loved the video. I loved the song.

I appreciate Katy Perry choosing this theme.

HeatSeeker2011 on March 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Dawnsblood on March 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Excellent point!! The left are so selective in what they deem “anti-woman” or “violent”. Ripping a near term infant from the mother’s womb and severing it’s spine as it cries…awesome. Ensuring every woman has an ultra sound before they make their “choice”…well that’s RAPE. This is why I hate the left.

mcplumbercuda on March 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM

You have got to be f_ing kidding me. Really?

Hummer53 on March 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

It’s also worth recalling that Naomi Wolf is the idiot that actually defends the veiling of Muslim women based on some deranged cultural nuance grounds:

Wolf: “But when I traveled in Muslim countries and was invited to join a discussion in women-only settings within Muslim homes, I learned that Muslim attitudes toward women’s appearance and sexuality are not rooted in repression, but in a strong sense of public versus private, of what is due to God and what is due to one’s husband.

It is not that Islam suppresses sexuality, but that it embodies a strongly developed sense of its appropriate channeling…”

And of course she has to slam Christianity too:

“The Western Christian tradition portrays all sexuality, even married sexuality, as sinful. Islam and Judaism never had that same kind of mind-body split.”

WhatSlushfund on March 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on March 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I served in male only units and male-female units.

When deployed (I’m not talking in 9-5 peacetime), male-female units experience at least 10 times the problems as do male only units, for very predictable reasons.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM

The federal government has an additional $17 trillion unfunded gap in other obligations, including Social Security, bringing the total shortfall to $99 trillion.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/30/another-17-trillion-surprise-found-in-obamacare/#ixzz1qd9TQZR6

Keep voting democrat!

Cause you care and are intelligent…or something.

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Katy looks fabulous since she lost 165lbs of ugly fat and gristle.

slickwillie2001 on March 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Please leave Zooey Deschanel alone…

Oil Can on March 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Oooh, my kids get so mad when I confuse the two (sometimes on purpose). I thought, whichever one was in the video, didn’t insult the troops at all. That’s a start.

Fallon on March 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Marine at AFT at his best (NSFW obviously..),

Gun Control – Action Figure Therapy

AK-47 Vs. M-16 – Action Figure Therapy

Yakko77 on March 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM

SHE’S DANCING AND SINGING UNDERNEATH A HUGE AMERICAN FLAG!!!! SHE’S GLORIFYING A HORRIBLE COUNTRY!!!!! STOP HER!!!!!

GhoulAid on March 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

liked the video. Not exceptional.

I’m old school.
I don’t like women in combat.

How do former military men feel about a woman in combat?
Is an M16 enough of an equalizer no matter who is shooting it?

Typicalwhitewoman on March 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

As an infantry veteran, I don’t think women serving as infantry would be a good idea simply because of the physical impracticality of it, but do believe women could (and do and did) have a viable role to play in combat. Read up on the OSS and SOE during WWII, specifically on female agents such as Nancy Wake and Virginia Hall. Some of the most courageous and resourceful agents on the Allied side were women. And then, of course, there were front-line female soldiers such as Lyudmila Pavlichenko in the Soviet army, a sniper with 309 confirmed kills. Women can fight.

troyriser_gopftw on March 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on March 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I have a girlfriend in the Army, and while she herself doesn’t want to go into combat, I would support women in combat. There is no front lines anymore, anyway. If they want to kill other people for their country, more power to them.

If IT hits the fan, we all become 11Bravos!!

BigGator5 on March 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Believe me: Thats nothing to joke about!

Valkyriepundit on March 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Militant lesbian hates military…now there’s something you don’t see everyday/

Gonzo on March 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

ALL WOMEN ARE CREATED EQUAL,
THEN SOME BECOME MARINES

OOORAH!

Roy Rogers on March 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

She’s the one who thought she could “channel” Jesus. After that got out and people rightfully pegged her as a nut, that little factoid got wiped from the internet.

Blake on March 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Katy Perry–this no talent, horribly-dressed cliche should just go away and take Naomi Wolf with her.

stukinIL4now on March 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Naomi Wolf is insane. I’m not saying “oooh, she wacky,” I’m saying she’s clinically, verifiably insane.

Take a look at her personal history and the many crazy things she’s said. There are people in society who somehow manage to pay their bills while being in a dissociative, psychotic state and Naomi Wolf is one of them.

Django on March 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

There is nothing wrong with this video. Its a great strong women message. Some people just like to complain.

magicbeans on March 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Naomi Wolf is one in a long line of media clowns who, if they were ignored by conservative media, would lose 50%+ of their audience.

Ignore them and they will go away. Get outraged over them and they’ll get the attention of the left.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

stukinIL4now on March 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Katy Perry’s young, bound to say and do dumb things, and yes, she is talented. The fact she’s showing Marines (and the flag) in a positive light says good things about her. That she married (and then divorced) a complete idiot of a Brit doesn’t detract from that.

But then, I have a daughter just a few years younger than her. I’ve found aughters to be far, far more complex than sons, in my view, so I tend to cut young women a great deal of slack when it comes to questionable life decisions.

troyriser_gopftw on March 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I’ve never downloaded a tune or a video – until today. It was worth the $1.99 to poke Naomi in the (metaphorical) eye.

ConservativeinCO on March 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

stukinIL4now on March 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Not sure on your math. Perry does not equate the other in any way.

roy_batty on March 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I’m outraged at how horrific that song is.

CorporatePiggy on March 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I thought that was a very good video. With the way Hollywood treats the military it’s refreshing to see someone not trash them.

Big Orange on March 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Way to go John. I read you sometimes on Right wing news. Going to be here more often??

earlgrey133 on March 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

It looks like Naomi Wolf has entered that dreaded stage of her life called “I guess I’m no longer attractive enough that men listen to my crap no matter what”.

Kaisersoze on March 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Also today in the Denver Post – Colorado woman occupies rare post (she flew helicopters in Iraq):

ConservativeinCO on March 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

the link helps:

ConservativeinCO on March 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

The real disturbing thing is the attitude that the Marines – and I suppose the military in general – are objectively bad and should not be looked upon positively at all. Then she presumes that everyone does – or should – agree with her. That is one hell of a bubble she lives in.

RadClown on March 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

roy_batty on March 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Oh no, except that they are both outspoken liberals.

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Believe me: Thats nothing to joke about!

Valkyriepundit on March 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

At least her BF in the video wasn’t kissing a man. Maybe that would make Naomi happy-ish…

SouthernGent on March 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Dawnsblood on March 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

She’s a nut who thinks the government is out to get everyone. She really is borderline Alex Jones material, but the funny thing is, she thinks we need bigger government to… drumroll please…. to save us from government.

ButterflyDragon on March 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Naomi Who?

Sounds like a brand of bicycle.

Dr. Dog on March 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I also heard that Ms. Perry is donating the proceeds from sales of this song/vid to the charity MusiCares
Perfectly in line with a conservative frame-of-mind since it’s been proven that the lib/progressive donates less to charities.

Undertaker on March 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Who is John Hawkins??

Liberty 5-3001 on March 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I know this is REALLY nitpicking, but in the video, during bayonet practice, well…., she sticks the bayonet like a girl. I know, nitpicking.

BubbaCluck on March 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You know ever since Katy Perry (the Brit with the “goods”)
said adios to the Idiot Russell Brand she’s taken a decidedly
Right Turn??

ToddPA on March 30, 2012 at 3:02 P

I’ve read that a couple of reasons for their split was that Brand was a Buddhist who belittled the faith she grew up in (Christianity), and his habit of taking the Lord’s name in vain. Hearing that gave me some hope that she might eventually get back on the right track.

Ward Cleaver on March 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Katy Perry glorifying violence terrible, horrible music and contributing to the outright destruction of western civilization by pretending to join the Marines be a musician

joey24007 on March 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Who’s afraid of Naomi Wolf?

Benedict Nelson on March 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Roy Rogers on March 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Outstanding!

AS a Marine veteran, I think it shows the Corps in a positive light and could be a nice recruiting tool. I know what it was like to make the commitment and earn the title but I can’t imagine what it takes for a woman to make that same commitment. I think it’s great that our WM’s get some well-deserved publicity for the sacrifices they make, all-to-often overshadowed by the male Marines.

As for Ms. Perry, nicely done. Hopefully you took away both a sense of pride for your country and respect for those who knowingly give everything to preserve it.

Semper Fi Marines.

BKeyser on March 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I love music as much as anyone. Does that canned music have to be on through the whole video?

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

“Speaking as someone who kind of enjoys the glorification of violence…”

LOL oh, John. :p

gigantor21 on March 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

When this Katy girl keeps the spray paint off her tresses, she’s actually pretty hawt.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Some American women don’t think like Ms. Wolf. Thank goodness. Deal with it.

KillerKane on March 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

This dispute can only be settle by deferring to Obama’s Little Red Book on cultural correctness.

Mr Galt on March 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My two young adult sons think Katy Perry is VERY hot, especially in uniform.

I thought it was a good video, even though it’s not my kind of music.

Common Sense on March 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hmmmm….. a liberal hating a video of a woman exerting her independence and declaring herself strong and free. Who would have thought?

On the other hand, if, instead of joining the Marines, she would have had an abortion and gone of food stamps, the liberals would probably hail it as a masterpiece.

Theophile on March 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Naomi Wolf’s last name glorifies predation and pack violence and stratified group dominance!

profitsbeard on March 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Yes, because the last thing we need to do is make our troops out to be tough, dedicated warriors. That’s totally offensive.

MadisonConservative on March 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I can see Islamic jihadis not approving of this image of women.

Hopefully the very last image they see.

And then a bacon coffin.

profitsbeard on March 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

CurtZHP on March 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

No. The Corp has enough on it’s plate without having to cater to the Hollyweird crowd. Its bad enough that President Obama and his wife seem to think that allowing a NBC (of course) reality show TV Show be filmed in the damn White House, like it’s a frickin college dorm.

BlaxPac on March 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Sorry, but to comment on this would require that I actually watch a Katy Perry video.

I have too much respect for myself to ever do that.

Siddhartha Vicious on March 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I have too much respect for myself to ever do that.

Siddhartha Vicious on March 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I know your comments here, I think you’d like it. I’d recommend it.

I get it.

Go Katie.

Screw a bunch of liberals, who will never get it.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM