Naomi Wolf: Katy Perry glorifying violence by pretending to join the Marines in her latest video or something

posted at 2:55 pm on March 30, 2012 by John Hawkins

Don’t look now, but the woman who taught Al Gore everything he knows about being an “alpha male” is upset with Katy Perry over the video for her latest song, Part of Me.

In the video, Katy Perry sees her boyfriend kiss another woman and, of course, she then does the natural thing — she breaks up with him and joins the Marines. The rest of the video features Perry doing a Rocky montage of different Marine training exercises and running around with a gun which she never shoots at anybody. I kept expecting her to end the video by pulling Saddam Hussein out of his spider hole or by saving Robert Pattinson from a gang of thugs before making out with him, but the video never actually went anywhere.

Naomi Wolf’s reaction to this rather innocuous video was uh, let’s say overwrought.

Have you all seen the Katy Perry Marines video? It is a total piece of propaganda for the Marines…I really want to find out if she was paid by them for making it…it is truly shameful. I would suggest a boycott of this singer whom I really liked — if you are as offended at this glorification of violence as I am.

Speaking as someone who kind of enjoys the glorification of violence, there is no actual glorification of violence. There isn’t even a glorification of the Marines per se although to the sort of left-wing nut who writes screeds like this one, any depiction of the Marines that doesn’t present them as thuggish drones, mentally destabilized, or desperately wanting out of the military probably qualifies as “propaganda.”

I never thought I would have to write this: but – incredibly – Congress has now passed the National Defense Appropriations Act, with Amendment 1031, which allows for the military detention of American citizens.

…The moment this bill becomes law, though Congress is accustomed, in a weak democracy, to being the ones who direct and control the military, the power roles will reverse: Congress will no longer be directing and in charge of the military: rather, the military will be directing and in charge of individual Congressional leaders, as well as in charge of everyone else – as any Parliamentarian in any society who handed this power over to the military can attest. — Naomi Wolf

Yes, the military will start putting members of Congress who don’t vote to increase their funding in camps any day now! It’ll probably happen right after the imaginary draft that Bush was going to implement finally occurs. Hey, whatever happened to that draft that liberals all over America assured us was on the way? Ooh, ooh, it’ll be here any day now!

At the end of the day, Katy Perry should be congratulated for trying, in her own way, to portray the military in a positive light. After all, they are only risking their lives for our freedom. If that doesn’t even merit a positive mention in a music video in Naomi Wolf’s eyes, her priorities are way out of line.

John Hawkins is a professional writer who runs Right Wing News and Linkiest. He’s also the co-owner of the The Looking Spoon. You can hear more from John Hawkins on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, G+, You Tube, & at PJ Media.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Let me know when Ms Wolf speaks out about Gangsta rap existing for the sole purpose of glorifying violence and being total propaganda for gang membership.

Dawnsblood on March 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

+1. My girlfriend and I have agreed that if any of our kids bring home a rap CD, it will get the sandpaper treatment and then be used as a Frisbee.

MelonCollie on March 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

MelonCollie on March 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

You think kids still buy CD’s?

slickwillie2001 on March 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Chorus: “This is the part of me, that you’ll never ever ever take away from me.” Which was pretty much sung over and over again.

Regardless, I thought it was a pretty cool video. Marine indocrination and training were engaged with enthusiasm early, then as that God aweful line crescendos, Katy gets loose with dancing and smiles while uniformed. Then it ends with close shot of camo-faced Perry, mean and ready to kill, yet cute as the girl next door.

To me it sent an encouraging message to gals in the Corp, “You can be a Marine and yourself.”

exdeadhead on March 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I don’t really get it… Katy Perry’s videos regularly have nothing to do with the actual lyrics in the songs (California Girls being a prime example, and Firework being a rare exception). So mostly I’m just confused…

The vile comments on YouTube made me compelled to thumbs-up it however…

rebkos on March 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What’s not to like, really. Katie is capable of recording a catchy pop-dance song, is easy on the eyes, and made a video I could actually watch with my elementary age daughter.

My favorite thing is the shot of them on foot patrol, presumably in a middle-eastern country, subliminally defiant with an M16 and her hair uncovered. Hoo-Ah!

Buck Turgidson on March 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Stupid question of the day: What is wrong with Katy Perry promoting the U.S Marines? Don’t we need the U.S military to keep us safe and kill the terrorists?

Frank T.J Mackey on March 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM

MelonCollie on March 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Is this 1996? What’s next, searching a kid’s room for vinyl records that contain the devil’s lyrics if played backwards?

V-rod on March 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Oddly enough, regardless of her motives, this video is probably the best one of her career. No more skimpy outfits, and teenage fantasies for her characters. Just direction, motive, and discipline.
As a female marine in uniform, she also had gotten her best and most attractive look IMO.

dec5 on April 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

V-rod on March 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Google the lyrics of some popular rap songs, thickwit, and tell me that you need some Jack Chick tinfoil-hat nonsense to see that the songs are wretched and the singers are scum.

MelonCollie on August 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM