Report: Paul Ryan to endorse Romney soon

posted at 10:03 pm on March 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

How soon is unclear, but the Wisconsin primary’s on Tuesday so it has to come before then. Native Wisconsinite and friend of Ryanworld Stephen Hayes points to a radio interview he’s doing with local star Charlie Sykes at 8:35 tomorrow. It’ll probably be then.

Romney’s comfortably ahead in Wisconsin so he doesn’t need Ryan for that. As Matt Lewis says, he’s thinking big picture:

What is more, coming on the heels of Sen. Marco Rubio’s endorsement Wednesday night, this would be yet another example of the conservative establishment coalescing around Romney as the inevitable nominee.

Obviously, he’s rolling out tea-party faves like Rubio and Ryan to convince the base that it’s now officially kinda sorta “conservative” to vote for Romney and wrap this thing up. I wonder which other grassroots stars he has left in the chamber that he’s waiting to unleash. Are there any who aren’t yet spoken for? Mike Lee’s already endorsed him and Rand Paul’s committed to his pop. DeMint hasn’t officially endorsed but he vouched for Romney’s “second language” conservatism just today. Bobby Jindal is technically uncommitted right now, I believe, but he endorsed Perry early on so Mitt can only be his second choice. The only big name left that I can think of is Palin, who’d also be endorsing him as a second choice but I think that matters less in her case. She’s positioned herself as the voice of conservative “outsiders,” so if she dropped Gingrich and came around to Mitt, it’d signal that even anti-establishment Republicans should start to fall in line. Would she endorse Romney if he asked, though, knowing how it would irk some of her supporters? Would he even bother asking when he’s got a chokehold on the delegate lead and big names like Rubio, Ryan, and Christie stumping for him?

Here’s Bush 41 formally giving his benediction to Romney today. Dubya was nowhere in sight. Exit question: How much should we read into the following comment from Rubio about his enthusiasm for Romney? Remember, this is the favorite for VP talking here. Quote: “There are a lot of other people out there that some of us wish had run for president — but they didn’t. I think Mitt Romney would be a fine president.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

CoolChange80 on March 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Yeah, because her endorsement helped Newt so much.

Rusty Allen on March 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I can’t possibly be the first person to say this, but only Nixon could go to China, right?

franklinstein on March 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Right, you aren’t.

cozmo on March 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM

And the reality is, I have met very few actual die-hard, crazy Mitt lovers.

Rusty Allen on March 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Lucky you. By the time the likes of csdeven, blue gills, chupi, sheryl, petunia, buymoredanishstuff and countless others get through with you, you will wonder why you have been a frothing at the mouth knuckle draggin’ Neanderthal wearing a human suit all this time.

cozmo on March 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Paul Ryan may not be a RINO, but his budget proposal is lame. He promises to cut $500 billion a year, but the Federal budget has a one-year deficit of $1.4 trillion. What about the othet $900 billion, Paul? The bottom line is that under Ryan’s plan, the deficits will persist, the economy will shrink, and Republicans will be blamed for it.

The House had the opportunity to balance the budget instantly by refusing to raise the debt ceiling, but the cowards, led by John Boehner, chickened out. That was truly a day that will live in infamy.

Willard isn’t going to want to do much more than Ryan, and probably less. Willard is strictly status quo.

Emperor Norton on March 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

That would be 8:35 am Central, since WTMJ-AM is here in Milwaukee. Those of you on the East Coast, tune into the stream an hour later, those in the Rockies an hour earlier, and those on the West Coast set your alarms early :-)

Steve Eggleston on March 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Mitt/somebody 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

After the McCain campaign’s Adventures in Running-Mate Backstabbing act, it’ll be hard to find a movement conservative with firing gial cells that will have enthusiasm for running with Mittens. After all, they have the historical example of Jack Kemp to show what happens to an up and coming conservative who hitches their wagon to a feeble moderate. Romney will need an experienced Washington hand who’s ideologically compatible with him on the ticket.

Say, I hear that the ex-senior Senator from Delaware might just be available. Best of all, he’s had 4 years experience in the job already to boot!

ebrown2 on March 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Emperor Norton on March 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Okay, but does he pass the birther test?

Or the other birther test?

Do you need to argue it out with Dante first?

cozmo on March 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I am with Ryan. 100%.

minnesoter on March 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Rusty Allen on March 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Palin didn’t endorse Newt, but she remains the biggest and most important name against Romney.

CoolChange80 on March 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Look, I’m going to vote for Romney. But I’ll spend more time trashing Obama but I can’t resist a dig at Romney now and then.
Bitter Clinger on March 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Sorry, you weren’t who I had in mind. I speaking to those who plan on staying home, writing in someone else or actually voting for Obama out of a bratty protest(Angryed)

jawkneemusic on March 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Ryan better hurry if he plans to endorse before Santorum, who should be doing it Wednesday morning. As hard as it is to admit defeat in a primary race where you’ve had at least a lead in the polls and won some states, there comes a time where it makes no sense to keep going. For Santorum, his collapsing numbers in Pennsylvania are probably more of an effect than his 0 for 3 on Tuesday – he won’t want to be seen as running hard when he loses there.

For Palin, it would be a smart move for Romney to talk with her by phone and if they work things out, pay a visit or have a meet-up in California to receive the endorsement.

Adjoran on March 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I am already on record as saying I will mark my ballot against Obama, next to Romney’s name. That doesn’t mean I’m any less sickened by the vomit spewed forth by the Romney sicko-phants. I have defended Santorum, Gingrich, and Romney, from what I thought were unfair attacks, as well as Cain and Perry before they dropped out. If Romney can be defended honestly. Without bashin other candidates, I’d like to see that, here. I haven’t seen much of it, though, lately. Mostly what I see is people hurling personal insults at people who won’t support Romney, and smears ( mostly LIES ) against his opponents. And, for the record, I scroll past the looney-tunes ABR’s just like I scroll past the Mittwits.

These candidates all reek. I will vote FOR none of them. I will only vote against Obama. Every American citizen has rights, accompanied by responsibilities. These include the right to vote, with the responsibility to be informed and vote for the candidate you believe is best. When I continually see people demanding that people set aside their principles and vote for candidate “X” or they are idiots, or don’t care about their country, I’m going to balk at that.

I will not shut up. I don’t care how many Romney supporters attack me personally, and shout me down, I won’t stop voicing my opinions about Romney. My biggest problem with Romney is Romneycare. I don’t trust him to repeal Obamacare. If Obamacare is overturned by SCOTUS and dismantled, then I will feel a lot less trepidation about Romney as president, BUT that is not my only fear about Romney. I also fear that he will be a squish who will cave in to the moderate Republicans and liberals and not do what needs to be done to turn this country around, fiscally. I have that that same fear about Newt and Rick, too, and to those who are crying about GW Bush, he won by running as a conservative. He caved in to moderates and liberals, especially in his second term, which is what led to Obama. Now, after retaking the house in 2010, we have a chance to get a majority and make some real “change,” and we’re going to nominate Sponge-Mitt Squishy pants? Excuse me if I don’t get excited by the idea.

/rant

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Hell ya

netster007x on March 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Amen Sister!! I don’t know what’s going on, except that the establishment is rallying and Romney is gloating. Unfortunately, it does not gain my support for Romney; it decreases my support for the ones I mistakingly believed were going to keep their dukes up and fight for our country. Just informs me who not to invest in next time around. I wish I could think differently, but I do not believe Romney will fight for us. He has spent his entire career playing it safe; changing his positions accordingly.

But let’s not forget it does come down to the delegates. Politics are messy, and as much is played out locally as nationally. As much as some say, “So do you realistically think Santorum or Newt can gain the delegates,” it can also be said, “Are you sure Romney can get the 1144?” I spent last weekend at a county caucus to select delegates to my state, which will then go to the nationals. In my district there were more Santorum delegates than Romney. Overall in the county, there were slightly more for Santorum and Ron Paul, despite all the verbal antics.

It ain’t over until it’s over. STOP TELLING US WHAT TO DO!!

One last question, if it comes down to it…would all the Romney supporters vote for another nominee? While they arrogantly explain to all of us how we need to unite, I hope they could as well be counted upon to do the same. Never have heard one say that because they always expect everyone else to step up while we must tolerate all the condescending blathering about electability. Is only Romney electable? Please.

Unrepentant Teapartyist on March 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

You do understand the President can’t actually repeal anything, right? Has to be an act of Congress.

So you’re saying that if Congress passed the repeal Romney’s spent the whole campaign calling for, he would veto it? You really believe that?

Adjoran on March 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Unrepentant Teapartyist on March 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

They proclaim it all the time. It is part and parcel to the Romneyness of them. They have different things to say to different audiences. I at least am willing to tell you, I will not vote for Willard Mitt Romney under any circumstances that seem even remotely worthy of imagining might occur. First choice is a conservative (R), second choice is a third party rock solid conservative with at least 20% support in the polls, much like Perot had, and last but not least, I will, if no other option is given except staying home vote Obama against Romney.

My vote will not be taken for granted. It will not be nullified. It will work for what I see as the best benefit. Romney is the worst possible choice right now.

astonerii on March 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Adjoran on March 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Congress does not do big massive actions without the President being either behind them pushing for it, or being of the other party and they are trying to pressure him.

Romney may very well say if a bill comes to his desk, he will sign it and then very well do everything he can to hinder the creation of the bill. From telling congress it needs to replace it while it repeals it and then making unacceptable demands of what the replacement should be. Probably very close to what Obamacare is.

Of course, the argument is moot, as by the end of June we will know whether Obamacare has ended the republic and replaced it with a tyranny, or if it has already been gutted and left for dead at the docks.

astonerii on March 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

What’s so hard about realizing that Palin never endorsed Newt? she even said that her temporary support for him was just to keep the process moving along and not an official endorsement of Newt, she even called out Newt as a “poor vessel for Tea Party support”

I’ll still say that she was probably talking about Romney, when she hinted to Hannity in January about ‘something coming out about a candidate that showed their true character and corrupt nature’ and that’s why the process had to continue and candidates be vetted. Of Course that flew right over Hannity’s head and he never answered a follow question or probed any further

journeymike on March 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

whoa, jannymae has gone all jane austin on us, look at the size of that post…not only that, but in a rare self-conscious effort, she even acknowledged her own stream of consciousness rant :-)…bravo!!

jimver on March 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Adjoran on March 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I am well aware of how our government works, and I never said anything of the kind.

Congress follows the president’s lead. Do you think majorities of Republicans will go against what he wants? He has said he will issue waivers to all 50 states and “work toward repeal.” That is a bit different than saying he will repeal it, and we are supposed to ignore the, “repeal the bad and keep the good” rhetoric? There is a thread on that here

I don’t trust Romney on healthcare, and Romneycare is a big millstone around his neck, when it comes to Obamacare. It doesn’t matter how the Mittbots here spin it, most voters don’t read HotAir. Most voters get sound bites of information from news outlets, and Obama will eviscerate Romney with Romneycare. Can Mitt withstand it? We’ll find out, if he’s the nominee.

He is still defending MA healthcare, which I am strongly opposed to. His adherents are defending it, too. That bothers me.

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Romney care is wildly popular in Mass. With republicans. You don’t have to trust him on it. Liberals don’t trust the president on wars and Guantanamo. They don’t trust him on gay marriage. They will overwhelmingly support him though. Romney is far from perfect and far better than Obama.

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM

/rant

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

If he’s elected of course he’s not. We are voting against Obama, not for Romney.

The GOP know this and are counting us on grabbing our ankles and we will because the alternative is unacceptable.

It’s up to us to remember this and in the next four years work towards having some legitimate conservatives and not some rehash the “status quo GOP” wants to hoist upon us.

kim roy on March 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Projection much? No one is attacking you personally. You’re the one spewing the anti-Mitt pejoratives in just about every thread about Romney. Mittwitts this, psycophants that, mittbots blah blah freakin blah!

No one is saying you can’t have your issues with Mitt Romney. It’s understandable why most of us don’t trust him. Hell, I don’t trust him, but the guy is on record a 100 times claiming to end Obamacare as soon as he takes office. At this point we can either take him at his word and hope for the best or allow Obama another 4 years to destroy what’s left of our nation.

So please, spare me the victimization. It’s not going to help you get your point across.

jawkneemusic on March 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Good to see Paul Ryan getting onboard the endorsement train… time to get behind Romney…

ABO in NO-vember!!

Khun Joe on March 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Not voting for Romney in the general because your favorite candidate either didn’t get in or was one of the other poorer candidates is voting for Obama.

Anyon who thinks Romney’s going to be like Obama is delusional. The difference between who Romney picks versus whoObama picks to replace Ginsburg is worth the vote for Mitt alone.

The protest votes in 2006 is what gave us obamacare. Work to win primaries and go from there. The best example of this is the Texas race to replace Paul. We need to get guys like Robert Gonzalez to win the primarie. Not voting is what empowers Democrats

cpaulus on March 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I like and respect Paul Ryan, but I don’t care about his endorsement any more than almost any other politician, celebrity, etc. There is only one political figure I respect enough to care about her endorsement and with whom I would walk through hell. While Mitt the Squish is kinda feminine I’m not talking about him.

swinia sutki on March 30, 2012 at 5:28 AM

cpaulus on March 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Voting for Democrats dressed like Republicans empowers them as well.

swinia sutki on March 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM

swinia sutki on March 30, 2012 at 5:28 AM

I knew that about you, almost immediately, without your even saying it.

MJBrutus on March 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Paul Ryan used to work at a gym on Capitol Hill and some black guys I know think a lot of him from those days.

Don’t mess with Paul. We may come and get you.

IlikedAUH2O on March 30, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Who’s next in this orchestrated parade of endorsamania?

Everything is manipulation -nothing is truthful. Some Orwellian world we’ve created. If we picked a team of horses with the same wisdom that we use to pick our leaders, we’d be over a cliff by now. Come to think of it…

Don L on March 30, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I knew that about you, almost immediately, without your even saying it.

MJBrutus on March 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Transparent Mittbot says what?

swinia sutki on March 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Go Mitt!!

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM

This is disappointing news. But the herd menatality is starting to kick in, just like it did for McCain…and Dole…

In America people have every right to make a mistake, I just wish more would be willing to resist the urge.

Oh well, Willard vs Obama should be entertaining anyway! Our last election might as well go out with a whimper…

insidiator on March 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Speaking of herd mentality, the All-Mitt-All-The-Time Channel (the cable station formerly known as Fox News) will have that official announcement in about 12 minutes.

Steve Eggleston on March 30, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Ah, the only endorsement that still matters to me is my own and I will never endorse a Romney type politician. What this does do, as with Rubio, is humanize Paul Ryan also and show that he does make bad choices. He may be conservative and knowledgeable about economic issues, but it’s obvious he also goes where the money is – and Mitt Romney is the best money can buy (or bought endorsements). What’s puzzling with all this endorsement frenzy, though, is you have Donald Trump already endorsing Hillary Clinton in 2016 and I saw a news item on Drudge this morning that NJ Fats is already shooting his mouth off about being ready to run for prez in 2016. Do they have so little confidence in their 2012 endorsement that he won’t get elected now or won’t have a second term if? What’s with that?

mozalf on March 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I have not seen these personal attacks.

Priscilla on March 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

No one is forcing anyone to make endorsements Mozalf.

The congress cannot see its way all the way to August with a knock out drag out convention, they need structure, they need to focus on a strategy, they are writing and passing the budget for the first term right now, they need to be able to compare it with the black hole the Senate Democrats call a budget.

And you are right about one thing, Free and Strong PAC, and Romney in person has supported Ryan and Bachman, he ran a very conservative PAC, it didn’t interest you because it doesn’t fit your bizarre narrative, but Romney supported Ryan, Bachman, Haley, and Bob McDonnell with cash and on the ground in their campaigns. Santorum is not that kind of guy. As the party whip, he had to come out for Spectre. A lot of support that guy will give you back.

Ryan and Romney are a lot alike. They have the gift of numeracy that would astound the current administration, numbers are clear to them. Romney for CEO. The U.S. federal government should be put in the receivership of these two guys.

Fleuries on March 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Fleuries on March 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

You’ve reinforced my disappointment in Ryan and dislike for Romney. So I thank you for that. I started voting years ago to get rid of wheeling-dealing politicians like Romney. And the fact that Ryan would associate with that lessens him in my eyes, but I have hope that he’ll be able to resurrect his reputation after the whomping we’ll get if we end up with Romney. So I hope he won’t be picked as a VP or accept if he does. One can only hope :-)

mozalf on March 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Well, Ryan’s a good bean counter, and lord knows we need more of them in Congress, but I don’t know anyone waiting around for his endorsement.

james23 on March 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

JannyMae on March 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

You have just exposed yourself as another anti-Mormon bigot…you are worthless, and an idiot…that is all your excellent post will get you from the Mitt supporters.

Fleuries on March 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

There is absolutely no accuracy in your Romney statement. He, during a debate, was even unaware that the European economy was collapsing.
Mitt is maybe the most “unaware” (GOP) economy minded candidate in decades to run. That is why Thomas Sowell had serious reservations about Mitt. Running a company, selling short term assets, to make a profit, while tying that company to long term debts, is great for a consultant to make a “dime”, but is of now use to running a federal budget, in fact it is even worse…hence the reluctance of Thomas Sowell to support Mitt….or Sowell is just another anti-Mormon bigot, as we was called by some Mitt supporters, or he is “over the hill and senile” as others called him.

right2bright on March 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

right2bright on March 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Bravo! People need to be reminded that Romney is a Corporatist and not a capitalist. For something that’s supposed to be his strong point, it’s not. So buyers beware!

mozalf on March 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM

mozalf on March 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM

During Mitt’s heydey of being a “consultant”, thousands like him made fortunes buying an selling companies, he was one of many, nothing unusual.
That is one of the reasons for the collapse years ago…overpaying, tying companies to long term debt, for short term profits.
The fact is, he made his millions by cleverly manipulating the market…clever and it takes knowledge and intellect, but the skill does not transfer over to running a federal budget…no more than a Real Estate attorney could try a murder case…or a plastic surgeon could do a heart transplant, both educated and brilliant doctors, but two totally different “operations”.
That is what Thomas Sowell, a true conservative economist, is not impressed with Mitt…Mitt is just one of thousands on Wall Street that made millions during the economic boom.

right2bright on March 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

As a former palinista I find her role in this election rather sad.

Basilsbest on March 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM

DITTO!!!!!

Gunlock Bill on March 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Adjoran on March 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Why should Romney bow to kiss the ring of someone who has, ineffectively, tried to damage him this whole primary?

If she wants to remain relevant, it is SHE that needs to make the “smart move” and give Romney the call.

Just saying.

Gunlock Bill on March 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

jawkneemusic on March 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

BAMM!!!!!

Nailed it.

Gunlock Bill on March 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Voting for Democrats dressed like Republicans empowers them as well.

swinia sutki on March 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM

A good reason to NOT vote for Santorum.

Gunlock Bill on March 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Voting for Democrats dressed like Republicans empowers them as well.

swinia sutki on March 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM

That’s how Bob Casey won Rick Santorum’s senate seat. He ran as a “conservative”. Of course they’re having major buyer’s remorse now.

mozalf on March 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

And even more deafening than all the endorsement hoopla is the silence from W. He’s obviously the smartest of the Bush clan if he’s withholding any endorsements. That’s as it should be and more appropriate to show support at the convention.

mozalf on March 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I have not seen these personal attacks.

Priscilla on March 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Good for you!

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

For the rest of you, I’ve said my piece, and you are welcome to your opinions.

See you on another thread.

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Jawkneemusic

You are absolutely BLIND to what your fellow Mittbots do. That’s not my problem, it’s yours. Keep taking the high ground. Please.

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

What a bunch of effing maroons.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

When I grow up I hope that I’m as classy and as cultured as you are.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on March 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Mission accomplished.

besser tot als rot on March 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

The Ryan Budget is the exact same thing as Obamacare! Derp.

Client Number Nine on March 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

You almost made me spit coffee on my computer right there. Nicely done.

alchemist19 on March 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM