Quotes of the day

posted at 10:44 pm on March 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

“If their usual practice holds, the justices will convene privately on Friday in a small oak-paneled conference room adjoining the chief’s chambers to take a preliminary vote. With no law clerks or secretaries present, Roberts will open the discussion and cast the first vote. The justices will go around the table in order of seniority, voting and laying out their rationales. A decision in the dispute is not likely until late June…

“Both he and the usual swing-vote justice, Anthony Kennedy, seemed right in the middle of the two ideological wings. Whichever way Roberts goes, legal analysts on both sides of the case predict, the chief justice is likely to write the main opinion for the court.

“But despite Roberts’ past association with the Republican party and a reputation for overseeing judgments that have favored the right, it remains far from clear how he will cast his vote.

“Throughout the arguments this week, he referred to historic milestones, including of the New-Deal era when the justices bolstered federal power. Overall, he suggested from his questions he was weighing whether a decision to strike down the individual mandate would be a break from past court cases or be in sync with them. Whether that means he is with the Obama administration or against it, is still a matter of speculation.”

***

“If the administration loses its argument, one early strategy is to run squarely against the Supreme Court. Democrats believe that Mr. Obama could fashion himself as a modern-day Franklin D. Roosevelt, trying to convince voters that a majority of the justices are in the pocket of the Republicans. A Democratic senator on Wednesday referred to that as the ‘martyr strategy.’…

“‘If this court overturns the individual mandate, it will galvanize Democrats to use the courts as a campaign issue,’ said Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress, a liberal research organization. ‘The idea that we would have gone through Bush v. Gore, Citizens United and now this.’

“Mr. Obama, who has signaled his intention to run against Congress in the mold of Harry S. Truman, could add the Supreme Court to his list of antagonists. It remains an open question whether the argument will resonate as it did in 1936 for Roosevelt.”

***

“[T]he conservative revolution in constitutional law has fizzled. The court has reaffirmed the right to abortion, intervened in wartime military decisions, upheld distortions of the separation of powers such as the independent counsel statute, and barely nibbled at the outer reaches of the New Deal expansion of federal power over the states…

“Plainly, the next president will have the chance to lock into place a conservative court majority or to launch a liberal counterrevolution. Should President Obama win re-election, he may even appoint a majority of the Supreme Court that conceivably could be in a position to reverse any decision this year blocking ObamaCare…

Only conservative control of both the executive and legislative branches can replace ObamaCare with sensible, pro-market health-care reforms. Winning a Senate majority could give Republicans the leverage to moderate Obama’s Supreme Court nominees in a second term. But it cannot override a presidential veto, one sure to greet any bills repealing ObamaCare. Conservative control of the White House and both houses of Congress will stop further adventures beyond the Constitution’s limits, relieving the need for a judicial salvation that may never come.”

***

“There’s more moaning: What about the policy mess Republicans might be left with? What if voters blame the GOP for the loss of more popular provisions? What if the party gets dinged for having no comprehensive alternative? What if the focus goes back to insurers, elevating Mr. Obama’s class warfare? Misery and more misery.

“The mistake here is one the Supreme Court didn’t make: Confusing politics with the real issues — the Constitution, and liberty. Or, as put by David Rivkin, the attorney who started the 26-state lawsuit against ObamaCare: These concerns are bogus. We have already won in the sense that the entire court’s attention was on the Constitution’s structural limitation on governmental power. That’s the ultimate indictment — not just of ObamaCare, but of everything this administration has done.’

“Through that lens, the GOP has no obvious political problem. Republicans can argue that any fallout from partial or full repeal of the law — higher prices, the loss of some provisions — is the fault of a Democratic administration that strapped the market to a shoddily considered, partisan bill that failed judicial muster. And the risk of the same is the GOP argument for why it won’t be proposing its own 2,700-page alternative.

“As to enthusiasm come November, what better argument can the GOP be handed than proof, via a Supreme Court repeal, that Mr. Obama cannot be trusted with a second term?”

***

“So what would that mean in practice [if ObamaCare is struck down]? Obviously none of the things that haven’t taken effect yet would happen. But what about the parts of the law that are already in operation?

“Health lawyers mostly aren’t sure, but their opinions generally range from ‘God only knows’ to ‘bedlam’ to ‘chaos.’”

***

Via Reason.

***

“The president was pleased with the presentation and remains convinced that the Affordable Care Act is constitutional.” Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I tend to watch old shows from when I was growing up. I have bought box sets. I don’t like most shows now…if you can find any. Everything is show idiotic reality show. I can’t stand them.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

A show I never watched when it came out was Raymond. But we really love it now.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I want to change mine to Agent99.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I like it! Next open reg. ; )

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Sad how PC has ruined everything…

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Too true. The sad part is, these shows were equal opportunity offenders. One reason I’m always amused by the recurring “why can’t conservatives be comics?” threads. It’s the Left that fears laughter.

de rigueur on March 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I’m sorry, you just made me laugh. That came out of no where.

Ummm…because when I was growing up a girl I knew called her private a “cooter”. All the time..just a icky memory of her. She was gross. Long/dumb story.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I’ve got to call it a night but I wanted to leave you all with a little personal story.

Today as I was picking up my kids from school, my daughter looked at the sky and said…

Mommy that cloud looks like a big scary face. She paused for a few seconds and said “kinda like Obama’s”.

Oh yeah….

Nitey nite:)

MontanaMmmm on March 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

‘Cousin It’ had the wild hair. Thing was the ‘hand’.

SparkPlug on March 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM

You are so right. I got mixed up. She was Cousin it. :) Now she is Thing with her hand out all the time for money.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Oh yeah….

Nitey nite:)

MontanaMmmm on March 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Good girl. You done right.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

As I said up thread, I have a long list after a few years of who I enjoy. The ones you named included. A lot of really good ones have left though.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Ahh the memories..I remember being a yong boy watching the

Sonny and Cher

PS..No one changed the channel..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

A show I never watched when it came out was Raymond. But we really love it now.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Raymond is a scream. Love that show.

4Grace on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Good night MontanaMmmm, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

A show I never watched when it came out was Raymond. But we really love it now.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Iv’e seen it a couple times. Was funny. Also, King of Queens.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

PS..No one changed the channel..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

; ) Funny.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I’m pulling your chain. Arnold knows a lot of double meanings. He’s been around the block a few times.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Pleasant dreams Montana.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

It also makes me think of The Dukes of Hazard. Crazy Cooter.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:27 AM

BMore, I can’t be agent99 now..my sock isn’t gonna be a secret anymore. :)

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:28 AM

PS..No one changed the channel..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I love America. You guys are a hoot. When we first got a color TV and girls were wearing mini skirts they sometimes had a panty flash—at least that’s what I heard.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Need to turn in. I don’t see how you guys keep these hours unless you all live in Hawaii. Leave you with this one. If you don’t know it, just hear it through. Just. hear. it through. Good night.

de rigueur on March 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

BMore, I can’t be agent99 now..my sock isn’t gonna be a secret anymore. :)

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:28 AM

We’ll be the only ones who know. You can trust us. ; )

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

and it ain’t like Cher needed a bra anyway.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Okay guys, this has been much fun but I have to drag my butt to bed. I already should have!

Good night all and take care!

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM

de rigueur on March 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Yeah right, east coast time is a bummer for QOTD. That chainsaw wore my arse out today. More tomorrow. Feel free to help.: ) In which case, sleep well.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Good Night bazil9, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:33 AM

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

How America became great.

RickB on March 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Don’t leave out sharrukin and hawkdriver. Great commenters. Really when you think about it we are lucky to have so many good folks here in one place. And the list goes on……….

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

OMG. How could I forget HawkDriver of all people. He is way way up there with Cindy M as the best of the best.

SparkPlug on March 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

PS- and they say conservatives arent cool…look at this thread. ;)
Libs are just jealous.

Night.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Pleasant dreams Montana.

bazil9 on March 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

It’s been nice talking to you today:)

MontanaMmmm on March 30, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Guess I’d better hit the hay. Man I have some sore muscles. Getting old sucks. I’ll leave y’all with this. It will get you threw the next 40 minutes if you so choose.

Good Night All.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

RickB on March 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Good history lesson.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

pleasant dreams.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

You too!

MontanaMmmm on March 30, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Night everyone.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Sad how PC has ruined everything. Porky was fat and stuttered so now he’s gone. Ted Turner bought up all the Warner Bros. stuff so now he get’s to decide what is offensive. Every time he opens his piehole he is offensive. We were watching old episodes of Sanford and Son last year. I can’t believe the stuff they got away with then.

arnold ziffel on March 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Tex Avery was the best! Some of the funniest cartoons ever! Red hot riding hood. Cock a doodle do! Billy goat! I wanna sing-a.

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Joan Biskupic of Reuters is an ahistorical fraud.

That’s compleat garbage. The Justices thwarted FDR repeated abuses so many times that he sought to expand the number of Justices in the SCOTUS so he could pack the court with enough lackeys to dilute their opposition to his Depression-cementing New Deal measures.

Just google ‘Franklin Roosevelt and the supreme court’ and take your pick of sources that tell teh actual history.

rayra on March 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM

add these other ignorant “journalist” buffoons to the list

(Reporting by Joan Biskupic; Editing by Amy Stevens, Howard Goller and David Brunnstrom)

rayra on March 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM

JannyMae on March 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM
Please do.

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2012 at 3:28 AM

I swear, it looks like Carney is going to cry. Poor baby.

Scotsman on March 30, 2012 at 3:48 AM

..show and listening to my mother b!tching to my father about Cher not wearing a bra!!..:)

PS..No one changed the channel..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Since when did Cher need a bra? Egads.

DevilsPrinciple on March 30, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Good morning

OT: so according to morning joe, the only folks politicizing the martin case are the GOP

seriously, talk about delusional this am….

cmsinaz on March 30, 2012 at 6:24 AM

of ocourse they will

desperate…hopefully people will not believe their crapola, but the kool-aid drinkers will be out in full force…

cmsinaz on March 30, 2012 at 6:26 AM

My biggest fear is that Obamacare is struck down and the wizards of smart in the Republican party are not prepared to defend the decision. I am sure the dems have “war gamed” the possibility of losing and are ready to go to battle to win the PR war. I have no confidence in the Republicans’ ability to effectively defend the decision. In the past, the dems come out swinging and the Republicans stand there looking gobsmacked for the most part. They better have their best out there presenting the facts, have print and media pundits prepared, and have some pretty clever and effective TV ads ready to hit the air. Otherwise, as usual, the dems will clean their clock. GOP: take notice. Don’t roll over. You HAVE to win this one.

JannyMc on March 30, 2012 at 6:34 AM

At which point the GOP (were it not anti-social con) could run a campaign against it also, with 53 million (Roe vs. Wade)aborted votes as the bumper sticker. The culture of death left/right would back down on that game quickly. But it’s about money, not freedom, with the GOP….

Don L on March 30, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Perhaps that is because they primarily see the evil in Obamacare as a money issue, not freedom, or moral right or wrong-hence the Romney candidacy?

Don L on March 30, 2012 at 6:47 AM

“If the administration loses its argument, one early strategy is to run squarely against the Supreme Court.”

Yes, yes, this was clearly the scenario they were hoping for…..

/rolls eyes

roy_batty on March 30, 2012 at 6:47 AM

GOP: take notice. Don’t roll over. You HAVE to win this one.

JannyMc on March 30, 2012 at 6:34 AM

amen

cmsinaz on March 30, 2012 at 6:48 AM

What if the party gets dinged for having no comprehensive alternative?

Only a concern if you’re one of those masochistic GOPers who listens to an NPR. Discount the people who are paying no attention, and the 70 percent who polled that they want the thing gone, and the 88 percent who polled that the issue isn’t in their top ten concerns, and politically you have something that’s not worth wringing your hands into a lather over…unless you’re one of the smug silly geese or pouch-wearing, pony-tailed ganders at NPR. REPEAL! And let the chips fall where they may.

curved space on March 30, 2012 at 6:48 AM

GOP do not get squishy now….

cmsinaz on March 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM

FloatingRock – I hate to break it to you but Paul Clements used Romney’s States Rights argument to the Supremes. He was hailed as brilliant- a future Supreme Court nominee….

Buy Danish on March 30, 2012 at 7:03 AM

single payer system…yeah baby

-lib talking heads

cmsinaz on March 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Yes, yes, this was clearly the scenario they were hoping for…..

/rolls eyes

roy_batty on March 30, 2012 at 6:47 AM

LOL – Whatever happens, it will be what they were hoping for all along.

Night Owl on March 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Chief Justice Roberts has to face up to the fact that prior decisions only talk about prior cases and prior areas of law. If prior SCOTUS decisions have expanded the power of the government, then someone has to figure out where the expansion stops.

His problem is that any stopping of the expansion will lead the way to invalidating a host of prior decisions because the federal government went into areas it was never meant to go. If you vote to uphold Obamacare, then there is no practical end to federal power. If you vote against it, even in part, then it begins the long attack on prior decisions to undermine federal power and get it back to its very restrained prior position.

I’m watching Thomas on this one as he has been the concurring and more expansive opinion for withdrawal of federal power, sometimes joined by Alito particularly in looking at Wickard v Filburn. Those two could very well prove the force to be reckoned with on the strike-down side since even if you get a somewhat milquetoast ruling against from 3-4 justices, having 2 justices saying that the extent of federal power NOW is far beyond what the actual text of the Constitution grants will be the pivot point for future decisions.

The Liberals on the court have got to be worried that their own philosophy can’t be properly enunciated by anyone else and that they have to do it for the defenders of Obamacare. Their ideals have no grounding, can’t be properly enacted and its defenders turn into dunces… your allies are idiots which doesn’t make you look too good. I’m expecting 1 – 2 of the Liberals to defect just on that alone as this case is the outcome of decades of Progressive legislation and it is a mess. If this is the best that Progressives and Leftists can come up with, it doesn’t say much about how they view legal procedure or the courts, including the SCOTUS. If you are one of the four Liberal justices this case is putting you on the spot as your job is not to be an advocate for a case but to decide it based on the Constitution, and the case is a loser even if it is upheld.

While it is an open field time after arguments, there is a pivot point becoming clear with Kennedy the immediate fulcrum, then Thomas and Alito being the ones with a handle on things. The decision might just be a mess… but two justices who have held firm stance through years of work might just prove out to be the crafters of an opinion and decision that will move the rest of the court.

In any event, ammo is still cheap. So is talk.

The idea is to keep the first low cost and the second free, which is why you need that low cost part as insurance. Your life depends on it.

ajacksonian on March 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Of course Kagen will be reporting the results of the preliminary vote to Obama or perhaps Sebilliius and Sotomayor will discuss it over dinner…..

ctmom on March 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

With Obamacare polling at only 39% in favor,the GOP will have nothing to defend, it’s a pure, sweet victory for them.

hillsoftx on March 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

If the President believes this is constitutional, he must be a socialist, educated at Columbia and Harvard.

bflat879 on March 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Hey, Ed Morrissey!

Why did you repost the somewhat dishonest, misleading HuffPo headline about when Chris Christie says he’ll be more prepared for higher office? The headline you post makes it sound like Christie expects (and even wants) Obama to win in November, giving Christie the opportunity to run in 2016. That is NOT AT ALL what Christie said in the Oprah interview.

What a shame that you would continue the misrepresentation on HotAir.

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

seriously, talk about delusional this am….

cmsinaz on March 30, 2012 at 6:24 AM

O/T

Remember how everyone at MSNBC and ABC gleefully reported the story of the former San Diego County tea party spokesman who was accused of rape?

Let’s see if there’s a peep out of them about this.

Case against ex-San Diego tea party figure dropped

Flora Duh on March 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Obamacare is constitutional…in Kenya

DHChron on March 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Hey, Ed Morrissey!

What a shame that you would continue the misrepresentation on HotAir.

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

There you go again, running the mouth before putting the brain in gear.

Ed is on vacation. Even if he wasn’t, it is my understanding that Allah is who posts the headlines.

Flora Duh on March 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Flora Duh on March 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Sorry, I don’t follow the vacation plans of these bloggers. Doesn’t matter who posted it. It’s a misleading headline.

Considering the bad punctuation in Jazz Shaw’s recent penny article headline, I wouldn’t be surprised if he did it.

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

no punctuation for you!

see what I did there? :) you’re a Nazi!

DHChron on March 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

[Roberts] suggested from his questions he was weighing whether a decision to strike down the individual mandate would be a break from past court cases or be in sync with them.

Gee, that’s some brilliant analysis from “yahoo news” there. What would you expect him to be considering?

And the Dems running against the Supreme Court? Nothing less than contemptible.

The fact that there’s even a possibility that PPACA could be upheld by the SCOTUS makes my blood boil.

Syzygy on March 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Sorry, I don’t follow the vacation plans of these bloggers.

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Yeah, it’s much easier and makes you appear much more intelligent to bash Ed for something he didn’t do, just because you’re angry he supported Santorum.

#War

Flora Duh on March 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Flora Duh on March 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM

No, I will “bash” (to use your silly word) anyone if they post a misleading headline like that. In fact, I already did so in Jazz Shaw’s penny post.

#War

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Does anyone have an WD-40? I hear a constant whine coming from this posters computer…

right2bright on March 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

#War

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Hurry, it’s getting worse…

right2bright on March 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

yep – bluegill’s mad as heck and they ain’t gonna take bad punctuation anymore

DHChron on March 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Hey, Ed Morrissey!

What a shame that you would continue the misrepresentation on HotAir.

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

…why don’t you just get his email address and let him know how you feel, instead of being a scaley slut every time?

KOOLAID2 on March 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I think Mr. Barrack Obamma is doing a fine job. Best. President. Evah!

carbon_footprint on March 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I thought perhaps you were going for Kumar Pallana as Mr. Littlejeans in the indy film Rushmore:

Best play ever, man.

Was I right?

bofh on March 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM

scaley slut

KOOLAID2 on March 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Nice. Bread ball?

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM

PSST … Happy Birthday, Norah Jones !
;-)

Carry on ….

pambi on March 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM

bluegill on March 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

You are now to be referred to as blueshill.

Bmore on March 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM

“Mr. Obama, who has signaled his intention to run against Congress in the mold of Harry S. Truman, could add the Supreme Court to his list of antagonists.”

I’m sure this strategy will work just wonderfully.

“I deserve your vote because the rest of the universe is conspiring against me.”

What next? “Vote for me or I’ll slash my wrists?”

RINO in Name Only on March 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM

So, if O-care is struck down, does this mean that Nancy, et al, must walk backwards from the Capitol with that big mallet, and frown at all the Tea Partiers?
Do those spitting Tea Partiers have to un-spit?/

askwhatif on March 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Well, to Remy and Reason TV, the United States ranks pretty high in several categories of death rates.

To effectively neutralize these causative factors is the goal of many health care professionals.

Understanding disease etiology is not an easy undertaking.
When you consider the time, expense and logistics of engaging comprehensive incident and frequency studies, (notwithstanding the ability of such studies to advance knowledge about key features of many diseases), alternative research strategies are necessary to identify effective and efficient approaches to prevention and treatment.

Much interdisciplinary cooperation and resources (be it people, places or things) will be necessary to eradicate even one such death factor.

Let’s say Parkinson’s for example in which the US ranks 9th in the world. Are you willing to purchase an insurance policy that excludes coverage for it? What about lung cancer (also 9th place). You probably don’t smoke, so let’s exclude that, too. What about poisoning? US rank is 19th for that one. Throw that out cause we don’t plan on drinking any hemlock cocktails.

Now we’re down to pizza crust and a little sauce with some oregano seasoning. Do we want cheese with that?
We’d better rethink that; US males rank 7th in the world for obesity, but thank God, only 135th for coronary heart disease.

So here’s the thing, a dose of prescription medication is not going to cure a thing by itself. Much of the time it solely maintains the person in their state of disease. They may need coverage for alternatives, but may not be offered it because of group policy decisions (see Unions here) or just plain old exclusions of coverage. Oh yeah, they should be able to shop for a policy on their own that covers the things they are most fearful of “catching”, but at what costs?

Currently insurance companies dictate what procedures they will pay for inside of an existing policy anyway. They will reuse coverage for experimental procedures, often without any scientific basis, other than to pronounce it thus. (Malpractice coverage will not be available to those Drs. in most cases.)

You might not find what you’re looking for. It may not be available at any price.

The role I see for any government is to act as a facilitator to bring the factions together for a shared purpose and common goals. But Big Government is just as bad as Big Pharma, Big Law, Big Medicine, Big Insurance. It’s not enough for governments to walk softly in every case, they must wield a Big Stick, too, for we are aware of the abuses foisted on the plebes (like you and me) when these entities are left unchecked.

The problem has been the checks and balances against that Big Stick. We get Little representation. The plebes that hire our representatives in this joint endeavor get whacked with that stick instead, and Big Money flows into everyone’s coffers but ours. There is no bang for the buck.

When Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s or ?? get major press coverage we have to wonder, who is minding the store? Why are people still dying from this stuff? Why isn’t America NUMBER 1 in all health categories?

Is it the job of government to dictate the direction of research and mandate what and who should be covered?
The free market must and will take care of that only when the watchers are being watched and held accountable.

Oh, and Remy. You might wish to look up this brief article on oregano. http://www.oiloregano.co.uk/wild-oregano-oil-research-information.html
It’s not only being proposed as a anti-toxin to anthrax (the stuff that bio weapons terrorists use) but the ancient Greeks used it as a antidote to hemlock poisoning. And it does taste good on pizza.

OkieDoc on March 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Selective reading of the arguments to make themselves feel better. Clement showed how NONE of the prior cases mentioned were applicable here. Obamacare is new territory and Roberts is aware of that.

If Roberts has Kennedy, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito I can see him trying to get at least one liberal justice to come over. The mandate is going down, accept that and put ‘heartfelt’ rhetoric in a concurring opinion for the good of a divided country.

MaggiePoo on March 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM

OK, the auto refresh just wiped out my post, that’s not cool.

Speakup on March 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM