WaPo on Jane Fonda: It’s just acting, folks

posted at 3:40 pm on March 28, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Ordinarily, I’d be thrilled with someone letting a little air out of an overinflated industry. How refreshing to read a culture columnist put into perspective what Hollywood elites do all day! They act. Oh, but it’s “brave” of them to take on a role that’s bound to earn them critical acclaim! It’s “noble” of them to portray a character with whom they don’t personally identify! It’s “breathtaking” when they recite lines amidst special effects that would make anyone look dramatic!

In this case, though, Suzi Parker’s reminder that “It’s just acting” isn’t aimed to adjust the attitudes of a self-indulgent microsociety. Parker writes:

As Fonda has matured, she looks a tad more like the former first lady with her caramel hair and chiseled features. The wardrobe department will certainly work its magic fitting her in Nancy red. We may even forget that Nancy is Jane in the handful of scenes that feature her.

Acting is just that – acting. If anyone should know that, it’s Nancy Reagan who, after all, met her beloved Ronnie in glitzy Hollywood when they were both actors.

Her words are clearly aimed to invalidate criticism of a director’s choice of actress to portray Nancy Reagan. Should Jane Fonda’s traitorous personal past disqualify her from acting the part of a loyal First Lady? Not necessarily.

But is it valid to criticize her selection even from an artistic standpoint? Absolutely. An actress is essentially a medium. The character she takes on as her own should come through her. In this case, Fonda’s very public and apparent leftism might very well render her an opaque medium through which it’s impossible for the essence of Nancy Reagan to appear. Note that even Parker only goes so far as to say we may forget that it’s Jane playing Nancy. If she were truly right for the part, we would forget it.

That’s why I’ve always marveled at the apparent eagerness of some actors and actresses eagerness to disclose their political affiliation. It renders their job infinitely harder because they have to overcome audience bias to be convincing in some roles.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Its just treason folks, she aided and abetted the enemy resulting in direct harm stemming from her specific actions perpetrated on American military personnel.

After she spends ten years in Leavenworth she can play whomever she wants.

Unfortunately, many have forgotten and still countless others have never known how Ms. Fonda betrayed not only the idea of our country, but specific men who served and sacrificed during Vietnam

The first part of this is from an F-4E pilot. The pilot’s name is Jerry Driscoll, a River Rat.

In 1968, the former Commandant of the USAF Survival School was a POW in Ho Lo Prison the ‘ Hanoi Hilton.’

Dragged from a stinking cesspit of a cell, cleaned, fed, and dressed in clean PJ’s, he was ordered to describe for a visiting American ‘Peace Activist’ the ‘lenient and humane treatment’ he’d received.

He spat at Ms. Fonda, was clubbed, and was dragged away. During the subsequent beating, he fell forward
on to the camp Commandant ‘s feet, which sent that officer berserk.

In 1978, the Air Force Colonel still suffered from double vision (which permanently ended his flying career) from the Commandant’s frenzied application of a wooden baton.

>From 1963-65, Col. Larry Carrigan was in the 47FW/DO (F-4E’s). He spent 6 years in the ‘Hanoi Hilton’,,, the first three of which his family only knew he was ‘missing in action’. His wife lived on faith that he was still alive. His group, too, got the cleaned-up, fed and clothed routine in preparation for a ‘peace delegation’ visit.

They, however, had time and devised a plan to get word to the world that they were alive and still survived. Each man secreted a tiny piece of paper, with his Social Security Number on it , in the palm of his hand.

When paraded before Ms. Fonda and a cameraman, she walked the line, shaking each man’s hand and asking little encouraging snippets like: ‘Aren’t you sorry you bombed babies?’ and ‘Are you grateful for the humane treatment from your benevolent captors?’ Believing this HAD to be an act, they each palmed her their sliver of paper.

She took them all without missing a beat.. At the end of the line and once the camera stopped rolling, to the shocked disbelief of the POWs, she turned to the officer in charge and handed him all the little pieces of paper..

Three men died from the subsequent beatings. Colonel Carrigan was almost number four but he survived, which is the only reason we know of her actions that day.

She’s a living testament to the tolerance of American fighting men.

Speakup on March 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

(let’s try again)

it’s been done. It was called the Soviet Union. It went on for 80 years and few people want to see the repeats.

theCork on March 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Let’s try again. It hasn’t been done – not with America hating Americans, who spew the Utopia of Communism while they retain their wealth, and leave it up to others to pay for their Utopian ideals.

It hasn’t been done with American actors, Presidents, members of Congress, members of Unions, teachers, professors and the press – who hold everything about America in utter contempt – and spew it, everyday.

I’m just wanting to give them the opportunity to live their Utopian ideals – amongst themselves – and without burdening people like me.

But, thanks for the history lesson – why, I’ve never even heard of the Soviet Union, or Lenin, or Trotsky, or Kamenev, or Zinoviev, or Khrushchev, or Stalin, et al.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Your argument may have some value. EXCEPT Americans lost there lives and Fonda will make money in the $$Millions for this movie. She was not the only American there at that time but the others were of little political advantage. Only she stood out, only she (being a little spoiled reach girl) never said she was sorry. Give away all her income from the movie and maybe, just maybe. No not even then will I see any movie she is ever to do.

jpcpt03 on March 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Putting HANOI JANE in any movie is an insult to America, but putting her in the role of Nancy Reagan is something so despicably insulting it could only come from the lunatic-left degenerate scumbags of hollywood.

TeaPartyNation on March 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Anyone who would watch this travesty with Jane Fonda would sell their soul to the devil for the time of day.

volsense on March 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Now remember, what she did was fine.

Congressman Pail Ryan is trying to destroy the country.

IlikedAUH2O on March 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Maybe Hanoi Jane will drop dead before filming and I can finally taste the fine bottle of scotch that I have stored away awaiting celebration of that day. I do not feel this way about any other person, no matter how despicable they are. Fonda has held that honor since her traitorous actions.Dingbat63 on March 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Not even Bin Laden? Bitter Clinger on March 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Irrelevant because Dear Leader, personally, was who killed him…at least that is what I see in the press. What I was trying to say is that, while I loath Obumba, Biden, Reid, and Pelosi, I wish none of them harm. I just wish them gone back to their cave and out of influence over my life. As a retired Army officer (82nd & 101st Airborne in VN in 1968) I loath, hate, detest, Hanoi Jane. I wish her nothing but painful bad. Pentagon urinals had (in the 70′s/ early 80′s) Hanoi Jane stickers as an aiming point.

BTW, I did have, and killed, a bottle of scotch in honor of Jack Murtha and his slander of Marines.

Dingbat63 on March 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

We all know about Hanoi Jane Betraying the POWs at the Hanoi Hilton, we all know about her on the Anti-Aircraft gun, shooting at our guys. Here’s another story I read about her and her–also commie husband–showing up at a restaurant out west.

The royal couple were told they’d have to wait to be seated, as there were several people ahead of them. She demanded priority service asking the maitre d’: Do you know who I am? The owner was summoned, and told them the same thing. They’d have to wait. And he was treated with the same disrespect: Do you know who I am? The owner, a veteran of Viet Nam, replied: Yes, I know who you are; you’re lucky to be allowed in this restaurant.

The arrogant sense of entitlement of these clowns is part of what’s so infuriating about them. They’ve never served, never done anything for anybody except themselves, and yet, feel entitled to demand special recognition. This woman, and all her commie buddies, deserve a long stretch in prison, and not to be citizens–let alone pampered citizens–of the greatest country there has ever been. If anyone deserves to be pampered, and treated with special deference, I say it’s the vets, those who have served our country, not these self-important commie pigs.

uncle_fweddy on March 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Certain America hating communists who also happen to be American are particularly despicable to me. I can’t look past who she is and what she portrays personally to forgive her long enough to be insulted by her performance of Nancy. Nope, not gonna do it.

It’s not that I’m affected by this scum personally, it’s that she’s not only spit on the guys that were and are fighting for HER freedom, she’s spit on the graves of every American that has ever died supporting her right to be an idiotic communist pig. I guess that makes it personal, because I actually appreciate the freedoms I have and act responsibly with those freedoms. I would happily dispatch as many enemies of America as it takes to be sure my son remains free as well.

Wolfmoon on March 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

So she was acting when she looked through the North Vietnamese gunsight, and passed along to the Viet Cong guards a message one of the American POWs had shoved into her hand?

Female scummette…..

itsspideyman on March 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Am I missing something here? Isn’t the goal of producing a movie to make money? Why would they even think of using such a controversial person ans Hanoi Jane? Most Liberals WOULD NOT go to see a movie about Nancy R. and MOST conservatives will NOT go see any movie that stars Hanoi Jane. I probably already know way more than you could fake in a movie anyway. I am certain it will not do justice to Ms. Nancy anyway.

j bo on March 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Hollywood has become the defacto leader of the Democrat Party and they speak directly for the White House. They have bought and paid for that position. They own the government and the party.

j bo on March 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Dingbat63 on March 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Six days out of high school I was in basic training at Fort Ord. Our guys were still dying in Viet Nam (two of my older brothers had been there), but they didn’t send me there. Part of me thinks I missed something and the sensible part of me knows I dodged a bullet (literally?). My hatred of that slut-pig-b*tch is not equal to yours but I like to think we’re on the same team.

swinia sutki on March 29, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Jane Fonda….. guilt by association. She is as guilty as the monsters that imprisoned and “tortured” our men. Self righteous indignation of a heartless soulless privileged creature of the night Hollywood commie style.

Consorting with the enemy IS treason. Jane Fonda should have been arrested upon reentering USA and put on trial for her actions. She HAS blood and death on her own hands.

It will be some academy award winning performance the day of judgement comes and it’s just Hanoi Jane in front of the big man that can’t and won’t be fooled by any amount a cake makeup and push up bra!

Hollywood politics IS a religion!

ActinUpinTexas on March 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Someone promise me she’ll lose fifty pounds for the part like Tom Hanks did in Castaway.

NoPain on March 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

An intentional insult. Joan Rivers would be preferable to Hanoi Jane.

curved space on March 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Sick..I’ll bet Ronald is rolling over in his grave at the thought of Hanoi Jane being Nancy.

I still remember her at the VC anti aircraft battery grinning like a possum.

What next? Obama as Patton? Rosanne as Maggie Thatcher.

saiga on March 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM