Magic Johnson group buys the LA Dodgers

posted at 10:25 am on March 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Life has been tough for Dodger fans since, oh … 1988, Orel Hershiser, and Kirk Gibson.  It’s been that long since the boys in blue made it to a World Series, but that’s hardly been the worst of it.  After the O’Malley family sold the team, ownership has gone from disinterested to downright embarrassing, culminating in the takeover by Major League Baseball last season when the divorce proceedings of then-owner Frank McCourt left the team unable to meet its payroll.

Dodger fans needed hope.  They needed a hero.  They needed … magicAnd Magic is exactly what they got last night:

Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has announced an agreement Tuesday night to sell the bankrupt team for $2 billion to a group that includes former Lakers star Magic Johnson and former Atlanta Braves and Washington Nationals President Stan Kasten.

The agreement, revealed about five hours after Major League Baseball owners approved three finalists for the auction, is to lead to a transfer of the team by the end of April. It is subject to approval in federal bankruptcy court.

LA Times columnist Steve Dilbeck is delighted to have a genuine Los Angeles hero as part of the rescue team:

This is the part where I try not to act all gleeful, and fail miserably. Fail happily.

Magic Johnson’s group has won the Dodgers.

Can you paint a monster grin in a blog? Is there an app for that? Who knew failing could be so completely wondrous.

One Los Angeles icon merges with another. Really, it’s so terrific that right now I can’t even be bothered that Frank McCourt is miraculously going to walk away from this with a cool billion.

We have someone who knows, understands and appreciates Los Angeles. Someone worthy of being the face of a local cultural treasure.

So Magic doesn’t know baseball. So what? You know what he does know? How to win. How to connect with the fans. How to build something from almost nothing. And he’s smart enough to recognize what he doesn’t know.

Johnson won’t run the ownership group.  The functional ownership position will go to Mark Walter, the CEO of Guggenheim Partners, the player with the largest stake in the deal, and Kasten is expected to run the team.  But while Walter may sit in the owner’s box and make the behind-the-scenes decisions, Johnson will make the Dodgers the hot ticket in town again.  Angelenos have admired Magic ever since he first came to town as a Laker and won championships for LA, and helped make basketball cool and hip in the famously laid-back city.  Heck, I’ve never liked basketball, but I loved watching Magic play the game.

Earvin Johnson has brought magic with him wherever he goes.  The Dodgers couldn’t have done better than to get some Magic in the front office after almost a quarter-century of futility.  What a great day for sports fans in Los Angeles, and a great day for Major League Baseball.

Comments

Yeah, well…Here in Texas, we’ll see your Magic Johnson and raise you a Nolan Ryan.

Typhoon on March 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Hooray for Hollywood!

steved95 on March 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

figurehead

tommylotto on March 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Like I needed another reason to hate the Dodgers. Go Giants

AndrewsDad on March 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Go Yankees.

rbj on March 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hey, the Dodgers had some chances to make it to the World Series in recent years. It’s just that the Phillies were standing in the way.

Matt Stairs!

Nick_Angel on March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

$2 billion for the Dodgers? Magic Johnson, are you smoking medical cannabis? I’m willing to bet the book value isn’t a third of that.

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Does this mean Larry Bird will put together a group to buy the Boston Red Sox? I just hope Tragic’s team does a better job running the Dodgers than Jordan’s done with the Charlotte Bobcats.

Doughboy on March 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I could care less about Magic.

I’m more curious as to whether McCourt included all of the major Dodger assets into the auction or if that scumbag will still own the stadium, the parking lots, etc., even after selling the team itself.

teke184 on March 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM

And McCourt still controls parking and some developable land around the stadium?? Unreal.

As a Red Sox fan, I have now seen many ways in which the owners are squeezing every dollar out of the fans. They have improved Fenway which is great but, ticket prices have gone up considerably, costs for food and beer are insane. I could go on and on. The group that owns the Sox paid about 700mil.

I can only imagine what the new Dodger owners might do to get back some ROI on $2bil.

Rich on March 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I hate the Dodgers (Go Phillies!), but I don’t get the gushing (see: ESPN) about Magic. He’s going to interview free agents? WTH does magic know about baseball?

ESPN called this “the biggest trade in MLB history” this morning.

The best thing it does for the Dodgers is free up money. That will help… but what’s Magic going to tell free agents? I know the corners where all the best hookers in LA work?

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Ed, although I’m not a Dodgers fan, I hope this works out. But let’s face it, the track record of NBA superstars in sports after their careers end isn’t promising. You’ve got Michael Jordan as GM of the Charlotte Bobcats, one of the worst professional franchises ever. You’ve got Isiah Thomas’s futility running the Knicks–and whatever happened to how his involvement at Florida International University was going to turn their basketball team into a nationally recognized program? Plus you’ve got Johnson himself hardly setting the world aflame when he coached the Lakers.

Again, I hope it works, but if it does it will be possibly the first time a post-career NBA superstar has succeeded, not counting doing TV analysis.

radjah shelduck on March 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Magic Johnson group buys the LA Dodgers

Who cares?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Matt Stairs!

Nick_Angel on March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I hate the Dodgers (Go Phillies!),

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM

This +1000

Nick_Angel on March 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

So how much are the dumb@$$’ of California going to tax themselves to prop up that $2 billion in value?

MNHawk on March 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Magic couldn’t possibly do worse than the McCourts. Good luck to the Dodgers. They need it.

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM

How much will tickets cost?

diogenes on March 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Magic Johnson group buys the LA Dodgers

Who cares?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Well, obviously you do, else why would you be commenting in a thread you care nothing about?

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Lifelong Dodger fan here. This is good news since, whatever happens, it is bound to better than the McCourt divorce meltdown of the team. Magic Johnson’s post NBA business career has been pretty impressive. I don’t think he will be attempting actual GM work with the franchise, or anything close to that. He remains wildly popular with the LA fan base. I am disappointed that Frank McCourt has made off like a bandit on this deal but I suppose that was unavoidable.

jwolf on March 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Good Luck Dodgers – you’ll need it.

Basketball – Meh.

Oh, and by the way, F THE YANKEES.

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on March 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Magic Johnson Theaters?

budfox on March 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Why? Watching the Dodgers implode was delightful. I hate anything “LA” and I’ve never been a fan of Magic. To be honest, if I was a Mich State grad, I’d be embarrassed that, at his age, with nearly two decades of broadcast experience, Magic still struggles with the English language

The Dodgers are going to bid-up free agent pricing and drive smaller markets smaller. It’s just one more franchise that will field an all-star team leaving the wannabes struggling.

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It probably is, counting the revenue stream from morons imposing taxes on themselves.

For example.

In Minnesota, the morons have decided to tax themselves 0.15% of every dollar in spending, to send that money to the Minnesota Twins ownership. That revenue stream becomes part of the value of the team. We’re now going through this process for the Vikings.

If there’s anything the right and left should agree on is to tell the pro sports industrial complex to go (Obama) themselves. But in the end, the majority of the 99%ers really do like sending a check straight to the 1%.

MNHawk on March 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

figurehead

tommylotto on March 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

No. The man made something of himself. Following his retirement from sports, he turned out to be a very astute entrepreneur, businessman, and philanthropist. And what he has given back to the L.A. communities in which he could make a difference is immeasurable. He’ll be a great front man for the Dodgers.

de rigueur on March 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Forget it! People smoke crack in the stands and nothing but violent gangbangers in the parking lot looking to assault people. With Johnson, it will only get worse.

Blake on March 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM

From my book (shameless plug alert!):

Johnny sighed and with a big smile said, “Exactly.” He fell back into his pillow and continued, “My dad was a big fan of the Whiz Kids; that was the nickname of the young 1950 Phillies squad. They won the National League pennant that year, edging out the Dodgers for the title on the final day of the season. Whitey Ashburn threw out Cal Abrams at the plate in the ninth and Dick Sisler drilled a Don Newcombe fastball into the stands in the tenth to lead the Phils to victory.

“My dad was at that pennant-securing game at Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn. He took the train up to New York in the morning and turned around and took the train back home that evening. He got home with just three coins left in his pocket, all were from 1950. They always reminded him of that day and of that team. He kept ‘em for years and gave ‘em to me on my tenth birthday. I keep those three in a special case. I just started collecting any coin from 1950 after that. I dunno, I guess it just kinda reminds me of baseball, my dad, my Phillies and my hometown.”

My dad was at that game… except that he was living in Brooklyn and was a die-hard Dodgers fan. It broke his heart. Thankfully, he is now a Phillies fan.

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Why didn’t he buy the Pistons when he had a chance?

NotCoach on March 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

…that price shocked me…and with the financial situation the team has been in?

KOOLAID2 on March 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I comment because I like to comment, not because I care about the subject matter of everything written. I very rarely read the posts here, to begin with.

This topic deserves the comment, “Who cares?”

If you care then you can respond with. “I do!”

To that I say, “Good for you.”

Other than that, I can’t find the interest of a basketball player buying a baseball team. That’s no different than a movie star buying a basketball team. Would you ask “Who cares?” in that circumstance?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Life has been tough for Dodger fans since, oh … 1988, Orel Hershiser, and Kirk Gibson. It’s been that long since the boys in blue made it to a World Series…

HA! Try being a Cubs fan. The last time the Cubbies won the World Series, my grandfather wasn’t born yet. And the last time they were even IN it, my father wasn’t born.

psrch on March 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM

This is good for baseball and for baseball fans. MLB needs a strong franchise in LA to remain healthy.

NoDonkey on March 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

MLB needs a strong franchise in LA to remain healthy.

NoDonkey on March 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

They already have one in Anaheim, which is close enough.

teke184 on March 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

As someone who grew up with a transistor radio glued to his ear listening to Dodger baseball in the 60′s (Koufax, Drysdale, Osteen, Wills, etc) I have one thing to say. SEND THEM BACK TO BROOKLYN.

chemman on March 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

ESPN’s coverage of this last night was hilarious.

First, the chick said – the current owner was looking to sell to the first group who would offer $2 billion for the team.

Then, like 2 minutes later, she said – the owner couldn’t have sold to anyone but the dodgers, because Magic was involved.

My brain hurts.

lorien1973 on March 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

The Dodgers were one of my favorite teams growing up. Steve Garvey, Davey Lopes, The Penguin.

Wigglesworth on March 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

MLB needs a strong franchise in LA to remain healthy.

NoDonkey on March 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

NFL says what?

lorien1973 on March 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Go Yankees.

rbj on March 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Move them back to Brooklyn! New York City needs a National League team.

Yes, I know. Don’t ruin the joke.

Red Cloud on March 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I’m a Dodger fan, but….

Q: Why do Dodger fans leave the game early?

A: To beat the crowd.

The problem with the Dodgers organization is that let the fan base turn into Raider fans. I’ve been to over 100 Dodger games, since I was kid. I remember my first Dodger game it was just me and my dad. However, now I won’t take my 2 year son to the game. I need to go to Angel game where they are family friendly.

Oil Can on March 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM

They already have one in Anaheim, which is close enough.

teke184 on March 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

LA is a bigger market, they have no interest in the Angels there and MLB needs all the healthy teams they can get.

NoDonkey on March 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Colin Cowherd was pointing out on ESPN this morning that the Dodgers were valued at $800 million just over a year ago, when the McCourt divorce kerfuffle was in the news, but that Johnson’s group — after a nightmarish 2011 season — ended up buying the team for $2 billion, a 150 percent markup in price, which doesn’t even include full revenues from the parking, which McCourt continues to hold.

It’s a terrible deal for the fans, because while you may pay 150 percent above book value for the team, you probably are going to want someone else to shoulder part of that payment. Which Dodger fans may be willing to do, in sort of a “Ransom of Red Chief” situation — getting McCourt away from day-to-day operation of the team may justify $8 hot dogs, $12 beers and $40 parking spaces (well, at least in the spaces Frank doesn’t still own). But that goodwill is going to only last so long. If the new ownership jacks seat prices and concessions through the roof and the Dodgers still keep finishing behind the Giants, Rockies and/or the D-backs, Magic’s popularity with the Los Angeles fans will be as relevant a few years down the line as Michael Jordan’s popularity right now is in Carolina, given the Charlotte Bobcats’ recent success.

jon1979 on March 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Wigglesworth on March 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Besides when my Pirates won in ’79, my favorite series in history were the Dodgers-Yankees in ’77 and ’78.

It seemed like that Dodger infield would play together forever.

NoDonkey on March 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

My dad was too young to remember the Whiz Kids, but he loved telling us all about the ’64 collapse. I guess it was too much for him to bear alone. He had to pass that angst and heartbreak on to future generations.

Nick_Angel on March 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

sell the bankrupt team for $2 billion

How is a bankrupt team worth $2 billion? If it couldn’t make revenue, then it isn’t worth much. Somebody got ripped off.

Good thing I don’t care to see major league baseball. I’ll stick to the Durham Bulls if I need a baseball fix.

LoganSix on March 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

radjah shelduck on March 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

There’s always Jerry West and the job he did with the Lakers. Granted, it was L.A. and stars always wanted to go there to play, but he did a great job as GM.

Doughboy on March 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Well, that says pretty much everything we need to know.

About you.

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The story behind the story is that *someone* was willing to sink capitol into a major business in California, and it isn’t the Red Chinese or Cartel looking to wash its funds.

Californians are how many billions in the hole, but *this* is big news to celebrate? Yeesh.

Just Bread and Circuses, people. If this investment group wanted to buy a cheaper franchise *and* improve state morale, they should have brought the Raiders and improved security in Oakland Stadium.

Otherwise, I’m not surprised, Magic is a pretty shred investor ( his group has laid good money in Harlem, NY as business investments for stores, movie theaters, etc.)

The Honey Badger on March 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

LMAO, I’m a Bronx native who lived in Massachusetts for past 8 years…Ya sound like those sages of baseball, the Red Sox fans that show off their teams shiny 3 WS rings in the face of the know-Nothing Yankees with…27 Rings?

:o)

BlaxPac on March 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Well, that says pretty much everything we need to know.

About you.

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Who cares?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM

LoganSix on March 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The problem wasn’t revenue as much as cash flow.

McCourt and his family spent years asset-stripping the organization to fund their luxurious lifestyle and then the messy divorce between him and his wife put severe limits on what the organization could do to raise funds on short notice.

That’s why McCourt tried to sign a sweetheart deal for the Dodgers’ broadcast rights that gave him loans to meet payroll, which MLB rejected because it potentially gave away Dodger broadcast rights for pennies on the dollar if McCourt missed his repayment schedule.

teke184 on March 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It’s the Dodgers. One of the most famous sports teams in history. The Dodgers were offered a $3 billion dollar tv deal. That’s $3 billion just to show the games on tv for 20 years. And then when you consider all the money from ticket sales, merchandise, and all the rest of it, Magic and the boys are going to make a huge profit.

SoulGlo on March 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

radjah shelduck on March 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Jerry West has been a successful GM following his playing days, as have several other former players. Bill Bradley found government work after his NBA career as did Tom McMillen and Kevin Johnson.

OptionsTrader on March 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Sold. A certain Ivy-League-school-that-shall-not-be-named sits atop precisely that “underground world of tunnels and rooms.” As does Disneyland. I bet you knew that.

de rigueur on March 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

OptionsTrader on March 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Kevin Johnson should be in jail for his “government work”. You know the story, right? Barky also should have been impeached for firing the IG who was investigating the corrupt criminal Johnson.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Who cares?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Still commenting in the thread you do not care about, eh?

Do you have a job?

If not, I don’t blame you. The Obama “recovery” has been the worst in history. So, it’s not your fault that you can’t find a job and spend all day posting on threads you don’t care about from your mommy’s basement.

Not your fault, per se.

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Why didn’t he buy the Pistons when he had a chance?

NotCoach on March 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Cause they’re in DETROIT. D’uh.

msupertas on March 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Go find someone else to pester.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Also, I think the fan base now reflects what has happened to LA County. Most of deep LA County is either rich or poor; or an ethnic Asian neigborhood like the San Gabriel Valley (or parts of Orange County) where they don’t like baseball as much The middle lives on the edges of LA County.

The middle class now lives in Orange County, parts of the edges of LA County, and parts of Ventura, Riverside, SB Counties. The Orange, SB, and Riverside crowd now to go to Angel games, where it’s family friendly.

So, Dodger stadium is left with Raider fans that spend their pay checks on tickets and beer. These people live 3 generations in house and are not saving for college or retirement. The Dodgers might be shut out in a few years by demographics. The middle class fans; will be Angel fans.

Oil Can on March 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

SoulGlo on March 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

The Yankees, far and away the most storied franchise, not just in baseball, but in all of American sport, aren’t worth $2 billion. Not even with their own sweetheart TV deal. And they have nearly two decades of success under their belt going into Florida this Spring.

The math ain’t that hard. If I’m investing in something I have to feed (as opposed to just owning equity in the market), I’m going to expect at least 7% annual return, and I’m not going to be in a mood to wait too long to see that return. So, let’s say three years out (in order to get the business in order), are the Dodgers going to generating $140 million in operating profits per year?

Please. Even with the TV deal, given LA payrolls and operating expenses associated with LA county, I don’t think there are enough seats in Chavez Ravine to turn that type of revenue.

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Well maybe, just maybe, Lebron will come back to Cleveland and save my Indians some day. The Dolen’s have Zero clue…….. Kinda like our president. hehe

angrymike on March 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Go find someone else to pester.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

How can I be pestering you, when you already blew off this thread a long time ago, because “who cares?”

Right?

/Okay, I’m done.

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Hayabusa on March 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Amen.

Good luck Mr. Johnson, Go Dodgers!

Tim_CA on March 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

figurehead

tommylotto on March 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Indeed

SouthernGent on March 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM

McCourt will end up with the parking lots… UNSAT… for 2 billion, he should be GONE!

Khun Joe on March 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Life has been tough for Dodger fans since, oh … 1988

That was nothing compared to 1956.

No offense to Magic Johnson, but I hope his money ends up totally wasted.

bgoldman on March 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Magic may be a lib, but he has put his money where most libs only put their mouths. He has created capital for himself in South Central LA and, thereby, created jobs for its inhabitants. So while you folks are bashing him, we few conservatives residing in SCLA know that Magic has been part of the economic solution here and not part of the problem.

baldilocks on March 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM

angrymike on March 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

LeBron and Red Sox owner partnered to buy English football team LIVERPOOL. Maybe he has business sense.

0bamaderangementsyndrom on March 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Oil Can on March 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

There is an irony in that all the problems currently with Dodger Stadium and it’s location mirror those Walter O’Malley cited with Ebbets Field when he began looking for a new location for the team, first in the NYC metro area, before taking them to the west coast (Ebbets Field was on the side of Prospect Park where crime was on the rise, and access from other areas of the city besides south-central Brooklyn was difficult due to the lack of subway service or major streets around the stadium). It may have taken over half a century, but the problems the Dodgers cited for fleeing Brookyln have now arrived at Chavez Ravine.

(And in another irony, the initial location O’Malley sought in 1955 for the first-ever domed stadium – over the Long Island Railroad terminal and the intersection of 10 subway lines at Flatbush and Atlantic avenues — is soon going to be the Barkley’s Center, the new home for the Nets. So O’Malley’s plan was finally executed by Bruce Ratner, albeit for basketball instead of baseball.)

jon1979 on March 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Nick_Angel on March 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I worked in the 64 team too… one of the main characters is Emily Callison. Can’t forget the 15 squad… so I have a Gracelyn Patricia Alexander.

de rigueur on March 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Unfortunately, the Ivy League schools no longer hold to the theme of the novel which is (roughly stated) “never start with the conclusion.”

The story is a metaphor for seeking… Rule #1, you can’t start with a conclusion and work backward… which is standard practice at shall-not-be-named. ;)

mankai on March 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM

MNHawk on March 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

A permanent provision from when the O’Malleys first sold the team, there is no government involvement in the Dodgers, nor will there ever be. The state is not a participant, the city is not a participant.

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

No team in sports history has even 70% of the attendance record of the Dodgers in the last 30 years, and even last season with all the hate and drama, they maintained higher attendance than all but the Yankees. Your math would be good, if it was founded on an accurate premise. The Dodgers are the most profitable franchise in sports, and for many years, were so with among the lowest ticket prices of any major league stadium.

Freelancer on March 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I’m thankful Mark Attanasio didn’t go after his hometown team. He is a cool owner, and he and the staff he brought in have made the Brewers a winner, both on the field and at the gate.

Steve Eggleston on March 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

psrch on March 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for reminding me.

I think I’ll go light my hair on fire.

Bitter Clinger on March 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

They were 11th in attendance last season & have finished first once in the last decade.

Are you drunk, decide to overplay the hyperbole a bit or did you think that no one else knew sports?

Cam Winston on March 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Magic Johnson…LA Dodgers…and not one baseketball joke?

swinia sutki on March 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

This is great news. Magic will be the face of the franchise, glad handing fans and kissing babies. He will help bring back the family atmosphere. Someone else will run the franchise.

Captain Kirock on March 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The Giants will still dominate the Dodgers for years to come.

Rovin on March 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

My ANGELS Rule the LA scene now Ed!

g2825m on March 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

:o)

BlaxPac on March 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

As long as the Yankees keep doing business as usual, they’ll be stuck on 27 for a LONG time.

The “best nine players in baseball” (which they seem to buy every year) continually fail. To outspend the cap and pay that luxyry tax year after year trying to buy the next ring with the paltry success they’ve had lately has me ROTFLMAO!

You’re probably a Cowboys fan too!

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on March 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Freelancer on March 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Really? Have they been in the habit of turning $140 million in annual pre-tax profits? Because that’s what is required for a decent ROI of $2 billion.

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

If Magic turns down the gang presence at Dodger Stadium, it will become “the” place to go. Not before.

PattyJ on March 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

And by the way,

before I forget:

F the Yankees!

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on March 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

OK, Magic’s going to play O’Malley. Who are the Dodgers going to get to play Walter Alston? And who are they going to replace crybabies with to get a team together like ’59? Sorry, just like Alston and O’Malley, there are no more Podres, Koufax, Drysdale, Roseboro, Hodges, Neal, Zimmer, Jr. Gilliam, Moon, Demeter, and Snyder.

Dodger baseball, baseball in general, and almost all other pro sports suck, because the players and owners have turned into greedy bastar*s. I could speak with the same nostalgia about the Lakers with West and Baylor and LA Rams with Gabriel and Olsen.

Yes, I am bitter to have had my childhood passion sucked away from me by greedy, crybabies.

NOMOBO on March 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Freelancer on March 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The NY Yankees are the third most valuable sports franchise in the world according to Forbes. (Manchester United is number one followed by the Dallas Cowboys.)

The Boston Red Sox are number 31 on the list, while the LA Dodgers are 38th.

RedRobin145 on March 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

LA ain’t worth $2B, that’s a total farce. No idea what the new group thought they were buying, but they got taken to the cleaners. Absurd!

Tom66 on March 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

It can’t be any worse than the unendurable Divorce-n-Baseball melodrama we’ve been subjected to over the last couple of years. I wish them well.

J.E. Dyer on March 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Cause they’re in DETROIT. D’uh.

msupertas on March 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM

He’s from the Detroit area and went to MSU. And the Pistons are an excellent franchise located outside of Detroit. It seems to me if he wanted to purchase a sports team that would have been the best fit for him. And Tom Gore, who bought the Pistons, spent a lot less then $2 billion.

NotCoach on March 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Like I needed another reason to hate the Dodgers. Go Giants

AndrewsDad on March 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Does South S.F. still have that sewage holding tank (off he 101 fwy if I remember correctly) with the word “Dodgers Training Camp” spray-painted on it?

I used to get a kick out that every time I drove past.

The Ugly American on March 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

MLB needs a strong franchise in LA to remain healthy.

NoDonkey on March 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

NFL says what?

lorien1973 on March 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

NFL says “introducing your 2014 LA Jaguars”.

LevStrauss on March 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The Boston Red Sox are number 31 on the list, while the LA Dodgers are 38th.

RedRobin145 on March 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Time to update the list.

Snark aside, the $2 billion price tag seems way more than what they are worth. The only explanation I come up with is that Dodger Stadium consists of a huge chunk of undeveloped land just 10 minutes from downtown LA, and on a hill to boot. I’m sure they have grand plans for it.

Captain Kirock on March 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I am a huge Dodgers fan exiled in Texas. I also HATE the Lakers, and grew up a Phoenix Suns fan. This purchase is the biggest gut punch since… well Frank McCourt. I have no place to vent except Hot Gas.

The good news is that we have an incredible nominee for the GOP this in Chris Christie, a crazy mix of Chris Farley and Ronald Reagan. Boy am I excited!

Wait, we are getting Romney… Man, I hope the Mayans are right…

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on March 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Wigglesworth on March 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

You mentioned 3/4 of the longest-teamed infield in modern MLB history. You left out Bill Russell.

chemman on March 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Same here about the radio attached to the ear in the 60′s. Willie Davis, Willie Crawford and Tommy Davis in the outfield, Junior Gilliam and Gil Hodges, Maury Wills and Jonny Roseboro. Johny Podres, Larry Sherry, Ron Perranoski. Wes Parker and Jim Lebfevre, Don Sutton …

I’ve been listening to Vin Scully call Dodger games my entire life. Part of me wishes that his family could become the owners, the class of the O’Malleys would be revived. This isn’t a bad result to settle for, however.

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on March 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Understandable that a Suns fan would hate the Lakers. It is commonly rumored that Phoenix is where “the chant” started. You know the one, it’s supposed to bother L.A. fans, but it doesn’t. We know that it’s just unintentional respect for a better team. Hmm, Phoenix… oh look, they’re a .500 team this season.

Freelancer on March 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

RedRobin145 on March 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I don’t dispute those numbers at all. But profitable and valuable are two completely different words. Profitability is return on investment, and across the last three decades, no team has earned more money for themselves, their players, the TV networks, and the sponsors.

Freelancer on March 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Some of you may need to do your homework. Contrary to the track record many ex-professional athletes have in the business community, Magic is a very successful businessman and is extremely hard working. The same thing cannot be said about his buddy Isiah Thomas – everything that guy touched after his playing career ended in disaster, from head coaching to GM positions.
And whatever the guy doesn’t know about baseball is irrelevant – he will surround himself with those that do.
No, I’m not a big Magic/Lakers or Dodgers fan, but I’m betting that this baseball club will rebound fairly quickly.

RMCS_USN on March 29, 2012 at 1:36 AM