Joe Biden: Thank you, Dr. Pepper

posted at 6:00 pm on March 28, 2012 by Tina Korbe

THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY:

Lest you think my happiness is schadenfreude, let me clarify: I’m not delighted that Joe Biden gaffed again. That’s a tired storyline. So, the guy regularly has slips of the tongue. I’m really not so inclined to take him to task for that anymore.

No, I’m genuinely thrilled that Joe Biden thanked Dr. Pepper. I, too, am grateful for all that Dr. Pepper has brought to my life. For as long as I can remember, it’s been my mom’s soft drink of choice. I assume that’s why it has such a reassuring resonance for me, why I actually feel sophisticated — that’s right, sophisticated! — when I drink it. At various points in my life, it has meant breakfast, lunch and dinner — yes, all three — to me.

Growing up in Oklahoma and Arkansas, Dr. Pepper was superabundant. (Dr. Pepper plant was first concocted in nearby Texas.) When I moved to D.C. and found Dr. Pepper suddenly scarce, I immediately concluded a lack of it in vending machines explained the high stress level of D.C. dwellers. Order Dr. Pepper in a D.C. restaurant and the waitress will likely say, “We don’t have Dr. Pepper. Would you like root beer instead?” I like root beer, but let’s be clear: Root beer is not Dr. Pepper.

But the lack of DP in D.C. eventually turned out to be a positive. While I was at Heritage, I ventured to the Capitol with my then-boss, Rob Bluey, and colleague Brandon Stewart to shoot a quick video of select freshmen congressmen talking about spending cuts. We interviewed my hometown congressman, Oklahoma Republican Rep. James Lankford. Turns out, he was as blindsided by the scarcity of Dr. Pepper in the capital city as I was and kept the refrigerator in his office stocked full of the stuff. He offered me a freebie. Needless to say, I’m a fan of Rep. Lankford. See? People bond over Dr. Pepper.

Is this a joke? It’s really, really not. Thank you, Dr. Pepper — and thank you, Joe Biden, for thanking Dr. Pepper.

P.S. If you love Sonic happy hour half as much as I do, never check the direction they send their political donations. Happy hour will never be as happy again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Does slow joe ever think?

StevC on March 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Having spent my formative years in Waco, the birthplace of DP, I too am a Pepper. However, their forcing the closure of the Dublin, TX plant, where they made it the old fashioned way with real cane sugar in an early 1900′s plant, has caused me to suspend my intake.

Empiricist on March 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Heh. I also LOVE Dr. Pepper and always keep around a week’s supply at work (at my desk no less, so I have a reputation now). I too was surprised to learn when traveling at a young age that it wasn’t everywhere. I assumed it was like Coke, only way better.

Side note, I went to Australia last year and found only one place that sold Dr. Pepper… for $24 a case (24 pack I think). Didn’t find it until my last day there. But I won’t lie. If I’m ever there again, I’m getting the Dr. P.

Esthier on March 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM

@StevC – no, Greezy Joe never thinks. After all, he’s a Democrat.

Tina, thanks for the link to OpenSecrets.org. I have been to a Sonic only once and now that I know they are 100% Libtards, I will NEVER visit a Sonic again.

I vote with my wallet.

CatchAll on March 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM

You missed the part where he thanked Dr.Peppers Peruvian wife Countess Coca Cola.

sirpatrick on March 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Dr Pepper is an intellectual drink. For the chosen ones.

I hope at least one person here gets that reference.

Vanilla Salt on March 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Dr Pepper is an intellectual drink. For the chosen ones.

Vanilla Salt on March 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM

No. That would be Dr. Brown.

Oh… not those chosen ones?

Shy Guy on March 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Sonic’s political donations are a little surprising. They are headquartered in Bricktown, heart of downtown Oklahoma City. I suppose CEO cliff hudson is more of a LibTard® wannabe than I had realized. I prefer a 7-11 Icee to the super-syrup slushes anyway, so I’ll continue ignoring Sonic drive-ins.

8thAirForce on March 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM

My daughter has always liked Dr. Pepper. I never developed a taste for it myself although I like many different kinds of diet soda.
If Joe Biden drowned in a vat of Dr. Pepper would anyone notice/care?

swinia sutki on March 29, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Mr. Pibbs in a pinch.

Roy Rogers on March 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Mr. Prodigy on March 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

He will simply make crap up, and the media will declare him the winner. Just like against Sarah, when she eviscerated him with facts, he simply pulled numbers from his posterior and was declared the winner by the LSM.

PJ Emeritus on March 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Someone may have already pointed this out (I’m too lazy to go back through all of the comments), but there is no “.” after the Dr in Dr Pepper. :)

Did Biden comment on the jerks at Snapple (who currently owns DP) that shut down the Dublin DP plant? THAT might make me actually like the guy.

teffertoes on March 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I didn’t like how DPSG shut down the Dublin plant either. Hasn’t anyone learned the lesson from 1985 and New Coke? If something is wildly popular, you don’t yank that away from them without drastic repercussions.

I do remember seeing a can of DP made with real cane sugar, and upon closer examination of the fine print, I saw that it actually came from their Temple, TX plant. Hopefully they’ll keep that operation going (or start it up again by popular demand).

TMOverbeck on March 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

8thAirForce on March 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM

I vote with my wallet.
CatchAll on March 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I had not realized they were liberal, I will have to check into it and see what EXACTLY they do donate to. I REALLY enjoy the cherry limeaids, and as long as ya hit em during their 2-4 happy hour, ya can get a huge Route 44 size for something like $1.32, but I also vote with my wallet(which drives my husband NUTS). He said we could save money if we’d stop doing that, and I absolutely refuse to.

momof5shortstuff on March 31, 2012 at 6:10 AM