Obama on hot-mic moment: I wasn’t “hiding the ball”

posted at 9:50 am on March 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

After a day of spin from the White House didn’t tamp down outrage over Barack Obama’s sotto voce conversation with Russian President Dmitri Medvedev, the President himself addressed the controversy.  Earlier today, Obama insisted that nothing he told Medvedev was out of the ordinary, and that he wasn’t “hiding the ball” on missile defense:

A defensive President Obama said Tuesday he wasn’t guilty of “hiding the ball” when an open microphone caught him pleading with the president of Russia to delay missile shield talks until after this year’s elections.

“The only way I get this stuff done is If I’m consulting with the Pentagon, with Congress, if I’ve got bipartisan support and frankly, the current environment is not conducive to those kinds of thoughtful consultations,” Mr. Obama told reporters at a nuclear security summit here. “This is not a matter of hiding the ball.” …

“I don’t think it’s any surprise that you can’t start that a few months before presidential and congressional elections in the United States, and at a time when they just completed elections in Russia, and they’re in the process of a presidential transition where a new president’s going to be coming in, in a little less than two months,” Mr. Obama said.

Er — riiight.  Here is the transcript once again from the conversation:

President Obama: On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space.

President Medvedev: Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…

President Obama: This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility.

President Medvedev: I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir.

“After my election, I have more flexibility.”  He’s not talking about Congressional elections.  He’s trying to get “space” from Putin, through Medvedev, in order to get himself re-elected.  And to get that space — in which Putin would presumably back off of his public comments on missile defense — Obama promised Russia “flexibility” on missile defense once he gets past “my last election,” and the last time voters can hold him accountable for his actions.

The White House continued to spin this as a demonstration of Obama’s commitment to nuclear disarmament and missile defense:

White House aides said the president was still “deeply invested” in the missile defense system.

Uh huh.  Here was Obama’s “deep investment” in this 2008 video from his campaign, in which he promised to “end misguided defense policies,” and one of the first topics mentioned is … missile defense:

I will cut investments in unproven missile-defense systems.

So when was Obama “hiding the ball”? Then or now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Now perhaps we can see the myopia of giving an untried, unqualified, and unknown third rate junior Senator from Chicago the keys to, possibly, the most powerful position of political influence in the history of the world.

Thanks a lot MSM and the 52%ers.

Cleombrotus on March 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Your Charlatan in Chief

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We’ll give ya plenty of space you marxist fraud.
After the elections you can go pretty much anywhere!! The only place you certainly won’t be welcome is 1600 Pennsylvania ave.
Tim_CA on March 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Personally, I’d like to see him get 3 squares and a cot rather than a lifetime pension for him and the M
missus from my tax payments.

Cleombrotus on March 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Just watch his demanor with Medvedev.

Don’t believe a single word he says. He is a Liar and a Crook, a Machiavellian, Pinnochean, Orwellian and Muenchhausean Thug.
Schadenfreude on March 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The body language on both of them and the tone of conversation spoke volumes.
Are there any recordings of him being as cordial, conciliatory, or even conspiratorial with any Republicans, I mean his own countrymen, supposedly?

Cleombrotus on March 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Why does Obama hate this country so much?

His agenda makes no rational sense, even for a liberal one.

Old Fritz on March 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM

How is it he has any support from Europe?

D-fusit on March 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The same way he had enough support to get elected in the USA?
And may yet have enough support to get elected again.

In four years in office, Mr Obama hasn’t revealed any character trait or ideological leaning that wasn’t known in 2007/8. He got elected then; he can get elected again.

Don’t under-estimate the power of stupid.

YiZhangZhe on March 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Mr. Medvedev, sir, please let ME get through MY last election of MYSELF.

Then, trust ME – I’m going to do things to the US constitution that your gangster boss Pooty never even thought of.

ME, MYSELF, and I are er…fully…committed to it.

And Yes we are and yes we can because we are are the ones we have been waiting for.

CorporatePiggy on March 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Dunno why this thought occurred to me this morning, but here it is: given the past three years, is it completely tinfoil-hat-nutty to wonder if, should things go wrong for him in November, he has the Secret Service go all Cheka against his opponents and just stay in power? Somehow, I picture some kind of manufactured ‘crisis’ where this:

Becoming a Secret Service agent requires patience, education, amazing triceps, a clean criminal record, and taking an oath to sacrifice your life to save the President (yes, even if you’re of a different political party).

can be put into play — very Soviet, which suddenly seems possible…

affenhauer on March 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

But our Romney supporter friends here tell us that it’s unpresidential or something like that to call out the media and hold them accountable for their lies and misrepresentations.

So let’s just let this one go because it might look bad, okay?

/ <—– I shouldn't need this, but just in case

kim roy on March 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

If you can’t see the difference between standing up to the media while maintaining your cool (say, like Newt did during the SC debate) and losing your cool & cursing at them, then there is no help for you.

Dark Star on March 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Obama is the biggest charlatan to ever inherit the WH.
[snip] … a liar, cheater, thug
[snip] … the biggest Crook in Chief.
[snip] He is a Liar and a Crook, a Machiavellian, Pinnochean, Orwellian and Muenchhausean Thug.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I wish my resume was this impressive (in a different way, of course).

YiZhangZhe on March 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I don’t understand what “hiding the ball” means. I assume it is some sports reference and I am not a sports fan. Could someone please explain to me Obama’s lame excuse?

thuja on March 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Perhaps this, in ping-pong:

YiZhangZhe on March 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM

can be put into play — very Soviet, which suddenly seems possible…

affenhauer on March 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

IF he goes, it won’t be quietly…

CorporatePiggy on March 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Obama said, “I wasn’t hiding the ball”. Of course he wasn’t, thats why he fumbled it so badly. If even the most brainwashed leftwing nutjobs don’t see how incompetent and anti-American this loon is, there is no help for them. Ariel Durant said,” A great civilization cannot be conquered from without until it destroys itself from within.” Its obvious that is Obama’s gameplan and if he is re-elected, then we will get what we deserve. American life as we have known it will cease tom exist.

volsense on March 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I agree CorporatePiggy @ 3:27 PM. Obama will not go quietly. When the comminist party openly endorses Obama, then expect the worse. The violence against this nation from within will be as never before. The demonrats are selling hoodies in Florida, the black panthers are offering a bounty on an American citizen and not a word. The race card, class envy and now this comical gender warfare is all they have. Without hatred, the demonrats could not exist.

volsense on March 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The Liar-In-Chief IS going to get Americans killed!?!

Colatteral Damage on March 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Of course he wasn’t hiding the ball. He has nowhere to put one!

KaroleD28 on March 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM

No he wasn’t hiding the ball. That was his gaffe. He’s hiding it now, however, after having disclosed its existence.

flataffect on March 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM

can be put into play — very Soviet, which suddenly seems possible…

affenhauer on March 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

IF he goes, it won’t be quietly…

CorporatePiggy on March 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Oh please. Spare us the conspiracy theories. This kind of nonsense doesn’t sound any better coming from conservatives than it did coming from the liberals.

ghostwriter on March 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

How would Obama know what the “current environment” of Washington is? He is rarely there. Spends all his time campaigning & complaining.

P.S. “get this stuff done” What an oaf..

TN Mom on March 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM